Reviews of Thornbury Lodge 4 stars

Bristol Road, Thornbury, BS35 3XL, United Kingdom

#3 of 3 hotels in Thornbury

As with a lot of English accomodation, we missed having a fridge to chill drinks and yoghurt. This is an old building - justice to its splendour was missing and it didn’t have soul.

The location is convenient to Bristol and the setting just lovely. If you’re a golfer, you’re right on the course so enjoy! More could be done to showcase this amazing old lodge but we found it rather neglected and unloved. Don’t accept room 4 until you’ve checked that the leaking bathroom floor has been fixed as when it was offered to us, there was a puddle between to door and the loo, possibly leaking from between the shower tray and seal. In room 3 the safe wasn’t working but the room was large and comfortable. Breakfast was good both days we bought it at the golf club rooms but wasn’t consistent. We both liked the first one so we reordered the second day but found the meal wasn’t the same. It was about a 20 minute walk to the town.

Nothing. This place is great!

Helpful and friendly staff who were happy to help me out with a very early check-in as I had a wedding to attend nearby. Spacious and clean room. Bed really comfortable. Peaceful environment. Golf course provides beautiful views.

Couldnt open bedroom windows Wifi didnt work - an absolute must for business travellers and golfers ! Check in really slow Ground floor room and lots of noise / creaky floorboards from room above Didnt sleep well

Large room @ Thornbury Golf Club Large Club house and good food

This was our second stay at Thornbury lodge it is a Good location for us to visit family. Clean and comfortable room. Friendly and helpful staff. Would definitelyreturn in the future.

ground floor room at the front, with large window meant that unless the blind was closed people outside could easily see in -the main light wasn't very bright so the blind needed to be up sometimes.

beautiful room & lodge very clean lovely staff great value for money

I am basing this on two stays I have had here. Stay one I arrived and room was really warm so opened window just to be swarmed with flies coming out of the window frame. Housekeeping never topped up the coffee or biscuits. Then to top it all housekeeping had not flushed the toilet so other people’s urine to greet! Stay two I switch on the light and wait ages for it to warm up to make sure I’m not walking into anything. Go to work and when I get back the toilet is stuck on flush. I inform them and go to driving range. When I come to order food they told me the cistern had been repatriated last week and they just needed to jiggle it a little. They said if it happens again you (me) can do the same!! Needles to say it happened another twice! It is a shame as it is nice but I have not paid to maintain someone else’s property. If you have a set standard you should make sure all staff know this.

Location is good and having a driving range gives something extra to do in an evening. The food is really good, decent portion sizes and really nice.

Maybe change the bedding before a new guest checks in! I had glitter nail varnish all over my duvet cover.....woke upnitching thinking there were fleas. When I finally settled back to sleep the bathroom light kept switching itself on and off!! To top it all off, had my shower and wanted to dry my hair only to find a bag that said hairdryer but nothing inside. The safest thing to eat there was toast for breakfast, even that was served cold! Burger the night before cost £9.50...had 2 bites literally and had to leave the processed rubbish on the plate. I was hungry after all day travelling so decided to buy a piece of shortbread to take up to the lodge but when I got there and tasted it, it was stale!!! Complete nightmare.... never again!

Nothing except maybe the view from the old crickety window

When I arrived a little after 7 I was told the kitchen was closed, so had to go in to town to eat - not the end of the world - but I’d driven 3 hours after a full days work!

Comfortable room, very spacious!

The only very minor problem was the lock to the room was fiddly and I had trouble turning the key.

The check in was easy. The room spacious and the power shower was really good.

Sensor light in bathroom- left me in the dark whilst showering.

Staff went out of their way to provide catering outside normal operating hours on late arrival. Free wifi. Thank you

No food or drink service after 19:30, the reception, cafe and bar is a short walk from the main building. Checkin am check out was long winded and staff where confused.

Bed had a hard lump down the middle of it which was uncomfortable at points. Some parts of the room were visibly scuffed and could do with a lick of paint - but very minor detail!

Location was excellent for a course I was on with work. The room itself was absolutely huge, massive bed and modern en-suite. Plenty of tea and coffee to keep you going, as well as a large tv to keep you entertained. There was very minimal noise as well.

The restaurant shut at 6.45pm but even though I was there at 6.35pm the kitchen staff had cleaned the kitchen and left so I and another customer who had checked in a couple of minutes before me had to go back into Thornbury to eat. It was not mentioned on booking (even though I spoke to staff to give them my time of arrival) that the restaurant closed so early

Rooms were very nice Beds large and comfortable

We reported on the first morning we were there that the shower was broken, unfortunately this was not addressed :-( However the gentleman we saw when we checked out, was very apologetic and annoyed that it has not been passed on / picked up by other staff.

We used the Lodge as a base, whilst we were sorting and clearing things from a house. It was a perfect location.

I would not rate The Lodge as a 4 star but a 3 star instead. Once the clubhouse has closed and the staff have gone home then all you have is a contact number for a duty manager in case of a problem, so don't expect a night porter or anything like that. Similarly, if you are wanting to have an evening meal in the clubhouse and a beer forget it as the clubhouse stops serving food about an hour before they close. So you'll have to venture into Thornbury for your evening meal. The room was fairly large yet the vast expanse of pastel painted walls did not have any pictures at all to brighten up the room. Although a tea/coffee tray and kettle were provided I would expect a 4 star rated hotel to provide perhaps a sachet of ground coffee and a cafetiere instead of just instant sachets of coffee. Similarly, I'd expect a 4 star to have a small fridge in the room to keep any bottled water etc. Some of the Freeview channels on the television were not available due to 'no signal' and those that were working were prone to pixilation - suggesting a problem with the aerial.

The Lodge is part of a golf complex with separate parking in front of the lodge rather than having to use the further away parking for golf club members. The location is very peaceful at night (as you would expect being on the edge of a golf course). The local town of Thornbury is a short drive (about a mile) and I liked the fact that the car parks there have two hours free parking. The room was warm and the bed was very comfortable.

Staff member not very welcoming at reception during my arrival, was running bar and restaurant, hurried approach with me.

Well located for my visit to see family. Spacious and comfortable room.

As for my previous experience, the organisation at check-in and check-out leaves something to be desired, plus the overall experience would have been better with a more positive attitude from some of the team members.

The conversion on the old farm buildings externaly , is very well done. Not so much the interior.

A rather drab and soulless club house, which doubles as reception and resturant/bar. Not a very cosy experience.

Lamps/bedside tables a bit dusty. Couldn't check out until 7:30

Lovely comfy bed, well equipped bathroom - lovely deep bath and toiletries. Room 7 very spacious and warm.

The room was cold and not very plush, the half board was not half board it was a snack in the clubhouse! the breakfast was also in the clubhouse, if i hadn't have gone to the club house before 7pm then i would not have had anything to eat, no one to greet you, you just went to the bar to get the keys.... not suitable accommodation for business traveler...... certainly not worth £126 for the night!

the outside of the property looked nice

We had no water on lst night. My partner was asked to search for alternative keys in the dark. We changed rooms but found there was still no water. So had very little water overnight and had to shower elsewhere in the morning. Next day (Christmas Day) they sent a plumber, and we had water but cistern kept running all night. Another resident had no water in their loo all weekend. Although we were not charged for one night, staff were not well trained on how to process payment or to apologise as if they really meant it ! I would not advise using this venue over the Christmas period. I was not aware there was no breakfast on Christmas morning until I wrote giving my need for wheat free bread. So very poor communication.

The size of room and oomfort of bed

WC so close to towel rail it was difficult to use without scorching oneself. ( Room 11 ) Toilet fan was so noisy that even that room next door commented on it. It was not possible to avoid in the night as it operated on a motion sensor and ran on for nearly an hour before switching off.

Breakfast was well cooked but a somewhat limited choice. No cereal option and not very clear on menu what was actually included. I was surprised that tea or coffee were charged as extras.

Booked an evening meal and when I arrived at 5pm all of the kitchen staff had gone home so I had to drive elsewhere to get food. If you are going to sell an evening meal via Booking.com then make sure you can actually offer this service. No instructions on where to go on arriving, except for small signs in the car park that you cannot see when it is pitch black (the Lodge is in a separate building to the reception). Better instructions are needed on the email after booking and a sign on the door of the Lodge to tell guests where to go is a must!

Needs painting and decorating.Carpets dirty.Bedside lamps did not work in either room. Windows need blinds, can be looked straight into. No hair dryer.

Décor - touch up on paint in room would be beneficial.

Food was good. Location was great - Thornbury village lovely this time of year with Christmas lights

There was no persons or managerial presence.No one greeted their guest or welcomed you.The bathroom was filthy and had no thermastat shower only hand held which was awlful to try and wash long hair. The bed was rock hard and daily room cleaning was very poor.The staff in the club house were unfriendly and not helpful. Breakfast was disappointing you were allocated a breakfast cereal in a bowl instead of having a choise and no juice. You had to go the bar to order your breakfast even though it had a 4* which means it should offer table and room service.To top it all there was no management available on check out or reception staff. I am totally amazed how this hotel got its 4* rating.Only days before i stayed in a 3* and had far superior stay. I will not using this hotel again or recommendirecommending it.

I can't say I liked anything in particular

Booked Dinner, b&b but upon arrival we were told that the Restaurant was closed as there were only 3 rooms booked out. Luckily we found a good pub down the road.

Nice property, good size rooms. When in the shower the lights went out as it was on a sensor by the door and did not pick up your movements in the shower, so had a shower in the darkness. Nice Breakfast.

I found a used sanitary towel in my bin so not sure if the rooms were serviced. I was not asked about my stay when checking out so was not able to mention this.

The checking in process was poor and so was checking out, the building wasn’t even open let alone the reception. I called a number on the window for the over night manager and left me standing outside for over 10 mins in the rain as he tried to find my details. I told I had a flight to catch and can I just leave my key in the hotel room he told me just to wait at this point I had enough of being put on hold and standing out in the rain so I decided just to leave, I will not be going back to this hotel.

The bathroom was nice.

I don’t normally complain but this place was so bad I thought it was just. There was damp on the walls, bugs and spiders around the windows, the heating switched off at 7am and only came back on when the room was about -5 degrees. Then the bathroom... all the wood surrounds were rotten and they had automatic lights which switched off after 2 minutes of getting in the shower and had no windows so literally walking around in the dark. No way is this a 4 star hotel, it’s a 2 star. Won’t be staying there again.

At least they had hot water

I rang the previous night to ensure we could have a hot meal on arrival, l was told yes. We arrived after a 9 hour drive to be offered SANDWICHES!!! Nobody showed us to our room, we were given a key and a piece of crumpled paper with code to enter the lodge. Had l known all of this l would have cancelled the booking. We went for breakfast only to discover we were NOT expected. The staff appeared to be a little put out by this. Upon paying the bill, l mentioned the problems and was told by the person that she would pass on my concerns. I rang last week to speak to either the owner or the manager, when I explained why I was calling. I was told ROSIE deals with the lodge. Rosie was very abrupt during our conversation bordering on rudeness!

The bathroom, lovely big shower.

Our bed in room 4 was very uncomfortable. When trying to contact the lodge via telephone I was cut off several times and unable to leave a message. Had to go through to golf to be able to speak to anyone.

Rooms were a little too hot, and the heating system was noisy (like white noise all night and what sounded like a diesel generator running outside). IR sensor in the bathroom (room 3) would turn the lights off when using the shower as it wasn't sensing you .. so plunged into darkness whilst showing - quite funny really. Bar closed at 9pm. TV had no signal - so unusable.

Large, comfy bed, excellent food and lots of it. Staff very friendly, wifi good, rooms very large and clean.

Being told we didn't have breakfast included but wen booking we double checked that we did nd hairs on the duvet nd black marks the bed was 2 beds pushed together nd matress toppers to try nd conceal the lumps in the mattress which didn't work altogether next to no nights sleep

Just the scenery nd nice town

We wanted to book in later and hadn't realised we had to call pre 6pm - no one picked up the phone and we couldn't leave a message which meant that we had to drive to the venue and back to the wedding we were attending in the middle of the reception to check in which took an hour out of our time with friends at the wedding - when we got there we found a duty manager number in the door - had we had access to this phone number on the email or booking we would not have had to drive all the way there to find out when we could get our keys as there was an event at the venue and the manager was on site until late so basically we didn't need to miss an hour of the wedding reception but we did :(

Good fittings white company soap and shampoo location all great

Cobwebs all over bedroom walls. Pillows thin and supportive. Unwelcoming staff. Breakfast was a shambles. This venue is a good club where golf members take priority. Hotel guests are an inconvenience. An expensive disappointment!

The room was a bit cold and we couldn't turn the heating up as it was thermostatically controlled. Also the towel rail in the bathroom didn't have any heat so it was pretty cold in there. Reported it to reception but didn't change anything. Apart from that it was good. Tea and coffee making facilities.

It was in a lovely area on the golf course. It's about a 20 minute walk from the village through parkland. We were at a wedding at Thornbury Castle and getting a taxi back was a nightmare and we ended up walking (about 35 minutes). We were warned that taxis were difficult to get so were prepared. We weren't there for the golf but it would be a great place for golfers.

Perfectly good room and a good nights sleep. A lovely setting in the countryside yet close to the town. Very convenient for our needs. Good for golfers.

Accommodation was adjacent to Thornbury golf club and driving range in lovely manor house, with separate car park from visitors to golf club. Good location with long private drive, and the breakfast was excellent. Friendly staff on arrival which was later than I had anticipated. Would certainly recommend for a quiet night on a business trip or a weekend with friends for golf.

Food ...... last orders for dinner was 8pm ..... I get this for a Golf Club but not a Hotel this should be 9 ....... I had Gammon which was like Leather but the chips peas and general service was excellent .. moving to breakfast again excellent service and served piping hot but the sausages looked great but tasted awful (Like Sawdust which is typical of a low cost option) ... can I suggest get a new pork supplier and decide if you want to be a Golf Club working to Golfers timings or a country club catering for Golfers .. Conference and Weddings and visitors staying overnight ..... You can do all this but need to make some changes and they are not difficult ......

Bathroom was excellent .... clean......... Warm ............great shower and lovely soft towels Bedroom was lovely, spacious, quiet and a lovely ambience

When I went to pay they could not print me a invoice sa I had to pay not knowing what I was paying for. That said they would email me a copy of the bill by email but I am still waiting. Not pleased about that. otherwise alright. One thing my colluge had a mediveal fire place in her room and found it errey. Also the loo did not flush propley in my room room 10 I did tell them

We Found it very relaxing and comfortable;e it was clean and ok Would use it again

Window to room didn't open, fan supplied but would have liked some fresh air. Only one person to deal with the bar/reception/restaurant......very busy even when half full, so another member of staff would be good to help out as she never stopped! Restaurant is more like a staff canteen, a bit of TLC and soft furnishing would improve the ambience.

Great all inclusive deal! Lovely setting, very peaceful and loads of parking. Nicely appointed room, with a huge bath. Food was freshly cooked and tasty, with good service by the one and only bar staff/waitress/receptionist.

Only nuisances were from other guests who decided to have a full blown conversation in the hallway late at night after they had returned from wherever. The lodge has high ceilings and noise travels easily and louder at night. No fault of Thornbury golf just people not being mindful of their actions.

Good location. Friendly staff. Clean, comfortable and tidy room. Food is pub grub but tasty and well presented.

We needed a bed for the night as our floor was being sanded! and we had to pick up our cat at 9.OO. So we used as a bed for the night and were unable to sample what looked like a great breakfast

This place is definitely not 'guest friendly'. It is mainly a golfing venue and clubhouse. The rooms need attention and better maintaining. We have stayed a couple of times in the same room and some of the issues we pointed out on our first visit were not addressed. The restaurant closes at 8.30 so if you check in after this time you have to drive into town to eat (or a half hour walk if there is daylight). There is no reception so check in is at the bar. If it is busy (or the staff are chatting!!) you can be waiting a while to get any attention. Better staff training would solve some of the issues regarding lack of service.

Being a golf club, the grounds are beautiful and peaceful. The Lodge itself is set away from the main club house and it was lovely to wake up to a view of trees and singing birds. Bathroom is spacious with a great shower.

Hallway and room not vacuumed in all 4 days we were there.

Location if room super. Bed comfy and clean linen. Staff very friendly and helpful. Food good only ate twice in Restaurant but very good.

It would have been nice if the bar/resturant opened a little later and also offered breakfast earlier than 7.30am as we wouldn't make use of it for that reason

My room was in a great location, the views were lovely. The leaded windows just added to the features of the room, i felt like rapunzel in her tower.

It had the most uncomfortable bed I have seen for many, many years. Incredibly lumpy. I would be ashamed to be running this place. The bed was like going back 30 years. Also the room could do with a good clean and a lot of the paint needs re-doing especially in the bathroom.

There were a few maintenance issues in the room which should have been spotted and dealt with before our stay (light bulbs out, blocked shower tray....... etc.) but these were minor and didn't detract too much from the overall pleasant room.

The most beautiful and tranquil setting. Being on a golf course, you are surrounded by greenery and trees. The Lodge is set apart from the main golfing facilities (shop, restaurant, etc) so it quiet and private. A pleasant half hour walk across the fields will take you into the town, which is pretty, historic and has plenty of shops and restaurants. There is also the castle to visit.

Excellent location,great large room,good shower,quiet.lovely bar and outside sitting area..only let down by quality of food, evening meal all deep fried or microwaved, sent cooked breakfast back..

The room is on a golf course, which means people pass by the windows. Mowing machine at 5.00am on a Sunday morning was a treat lol other than the golfers and machines its a quiet place. Im sure if you had one of the main manor rooms the golfers and machines would not have been an issue, but the extension with added rooms it can be a distraction. Im sure the golfers might have said the same thing that the naked guy in the window was not what they wanted to see on a Sunday morning. lol

Large room, and bathroom, easy parking, nice surroundings. Good value

Nothing really. Restaurant area can get get busy with golfers at times.

Restaurant where you could choose and pay for what you wanted at breakfast. Surrounded by lovely golf course which was good for a late evening stroll. Very good room

breakfast was awful there was no choice and they only had a buffet breakfast no tomatoes no mushrooms no butter toaster didn't t work properly. there was no healthy options so we went elsewhere for breakfast

the room was large and airy although very dated. it was very clean and the housekeeping staff were very nice and helpful.

As we were cycling it was a bit far from the town.

A very large, comfortable and clean room that surpassed our expectations. A quiet location on a golf course.

Room 8, dusty, cobwebs, had to ged rid of at least 6 spiders, so room obviously not cleaned properly. Toilet coming away from wall, when flushed water seeping out. Told reception so hopefully toilet now fixed!

On arrival our booking wasn't registered on the computer but this was sorted quickly by Sinead. On the evening there was a golf club function so the kitchen was closed for other guests.

Lovely, quiet location close to Thornbury. Big room, comfortable bed and spotlessly clean. This venue is ideal as a base but you would be advised to eat out in the lovely local pubs.

The restaurant is part of the golf club - no problem with that - but hadn't been notified that we were resident so the surprised but willing staff had to set a table to accommodate us when we turned up for breakfast. More information in the room on the hotel and its facilities (like wi-fi) would be helpful.

Beautiful historic building very well converted to hotel use. Rooms large and very comfortable.

When we arrived staff could not find us on their computer. Luckily there was a good room available, otherwise this could have been a disaster for us! Think it was fault of booking.com.

The staff were v friendly and helpful. Food was v good and atmosphere pleasant

Check in/out was quick and easy. A travel cot was provided with bedding. The complimentary breakfast was lovely and unexpected and the reserved tables in the clubhouse and reserved parking spaces for lodge guests made the stay easy and effortless

Unfortunately I had to leave early so was not able to have the full breakfast, however the staff kindly opened early so I could have a continental. A tiny niggle was the motion sensor on the bathroom light meant it didn't go off for quite a while after exiting. The food is served in the bar area which is quite open plan and a little basic.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was well priced with good sized portions. The room and bed were huge and very comfy, would have liked to stay longer. Beautiful location.

1] The lack of a reception. Handling all accommodation matters in the middle of a restaurant over a food counter was not very desirable. 2] Ground floor rooms suffered privacy issues with golfers standing directly outside. I left my window blind closed the entire time I was in the room. Maybe think of some foliage solutions that would at least obscure in lookers while not blocking the outward view.

Excellent location, quiet, comfy, great access, parking and more. Room size and facilities were great, though it was lacking a phone (at least as a means of contacting reception given that it was in a different area of the site).

Mattress was not that comfortable for me.

Lovely setting on a golf course. Room was spacious and clean. All the interaction with the staff was done in the clubhouse restauant. They were very friendly, polite, and helpful.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

room was a bit dark and i would have liked to have seen breakfast included to be honest, even on a deal.

very welcoming staff, although the next day they did attempt to charge the full price so i had to remind them of the deal.

Not much fun having to walk down the long drive to get into Thornbury, especially the dark walk back at night with noone around. Room was nice but right next to tee and nothing to obscure the window only heavy roman blind which felt had to keep closed.

Different setting as is on a golf course.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

I would have liked the bar and restaurant tohave been open a little later if we had stayed at Badminton later to avoid the traffic leaving getting food and a drink when we arrived may have been difficult.

We stayed here during Badminton horse trials which us about half an hours drive away.it is nice and quiet with good food and an early breakfast so we could get back to Badminton early enough to miss most of the traffic.Being right on the golf course it would be good if you had a small golf group weekend for example.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

Little cereal boxes, no choice just a box in the dish on the table. Full English didn't include fruit juice or toast - an expectation nowadays.

Beautiful location, comfy overnight stay.

Lovely hostess, great rooms and very comfortable. Idyllic location were the accommodation was beautifully presented. I will be returning with my family

The breakfast location was being cleaned, i.e. we were being hovered around, on both of the mornings we ate there. The first morning the breakfast was cold because the only person working at the front of house did not hear the signal that the food had been prepared. On the second day the same thing happened but we realised it this time and collected the food ourselves.

Quiet, clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

Booking was messed up on arrival and no apology when sorted,room dusty,bathroom radiator wasn't working,2 beds put together could feel joint in middle,says wifi in room but only got it outside,no signage to the accommodation and when requiring a drink in the restaurant on returning for another I was informed the drink had just gone up by 10p at that moment how can that happen

The views

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Service for Breakfast was very slow and it wasn't busy. Server did her best and was very apologetic - problem seemed to be Chef. Food was very good when it arrived.

Everything - except breakfast service.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

The food and times it was available, this was a big negative for me. Given the fact it's really a golf club and caters for that as it's main business concern I will not be returning.

Accommodation room was good.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Organisation leaves a little bit to be desired, lodge reception seems to be an after thought and not the main priority. Although staff were friendly and helpful.

Great property in a really nice location. Staff were friendly.

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

Friends paid the same stayed in room 7 and it was huge, much bigger than room 4, and had a huge bath, room 7 was much more luxurious

Cleanliness, huge room, excellent facilities, lovely views, tea making facilities, iron, hairdryer, everything you need

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

The room was 100 yards outside from "reception"in the golf bar/cafe. Everything closed at 7.30. For over £100 B & B expensive.

Nice and clean room.

• Reviewed: 23 December 2016

Difficult to have a bath when the soap dispenser was mounted 4 ft up the wall ( ok if you were having a shower). Heating made a terrible noise all first night- no sleep. Plumber was called next morning and it was fixed for the second night which was very restful.

Good standard of generous sized room and comfy bed. Nice and quiet.