Reviews of Lucas House Hotel

Lucas House, Edgbaston Park Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2RA, United Kingdom

#45 of 78 hotels in Birmingham

My stay here was extremely stressful because I could not connect with the wifi on my work laptop (the only laptop I brought with me). When I went to the reception with my problem, the staff took a look at my computer and said they experienced this problem before with work laptops. They could not help me any further because the guest wifi from the university was the only wifi connection available. When I explained that I urgently needed to work on a presentation for the next day, the staff recommended me to go find a computer at the university library, which was not very helpful. After 2 hours of struggling with the wifi problem on my own, I finally created a 4G mobile hotspot from my phone. I would have really enjoyed my stay at the hotel, if it were not for the wifi problem. The whole situation got me really upset and nervous, making my stay here very stressful. As the staff is clearly aware of the problem, it would have been nice to have a warning on the website, so I could have prepared and brought my personal laptop as well. Also, it would have also been very helpful in my case if the staff had provided me with an eduroam username and password (or something similar, so I could work on my presentation in my hotel room).

- Very calm and quiet - In the middle of the nature - good breakfast

The shower was difficult to switch off - I had to call a member of staff to fix it but they did promptly.

This hotel was good value and very well situated for a conference at the Tally Ho Conference Centre. The staff were welcoming and friendly.

It's quite difficult to get to the accessible rooms as you have to go down an old lift, through 2 sets of heavy doors, and outside down a reasonably steep path. I would have struggled to get there without an assistant.

Excellent location for university conferences, very clean, lovely staff, & nice breakfast It feels a bit like being in university halls, but they've done a great job of converting them.

The shower cubicle was in some need of updating. Otherwise the bathroom, though oldish, was OK. The cooked breakfast buffet had stood a little while by the time we got there and needed refreshing.

Very comfortable. attractive, well-appointed room with excellent garden view in hotel which is also a university conference centre. Friendly, helpful staff. Tranquil location.

When leaving in the car getting out on to the main road is a little tricky as the view from the right is not great - the sign hinders your sight of view - otherwise just great for us

Visited UOB so location great. Room fine if a little dated but that did not detact from a comfortable hassle free nights stay. We would come back again/recommend to others based on our experience.

The bathroom is dated but functional. There was no hot breakfast available and the cold buffet was not very exciting,eg very basic sliced bread. We asked for a part refund but weren’t automatically offered it. The waitresses didn’t seem too interested and the table wasn’t cleared well.

The room was attractive and quiet. The reception ladies were delightful.

It could have been little bit cleaner. Didn't like little things that aren't designed well in the bathroom, eg light not in good place, and toilet roll We coincided with the flooding in Edgbaston, so there were problems compounded by this as in there was flooding in the various buildings. Food in bar was only food on offer and there were only 2 items from the list available as the kitchen was closed, and they weren't particularly good.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, at the reception, in the hotel bit, and the student working in the bar. We received free tickets for Winterbourne Gardens which is the reason we had come to visit, and was unexpected. And it was just a couple minutes away, and we could park.

Rooms are a bit expensive, compared to other hotels in Birmingham.

Very comfortable room, equipped with hair dryer, electric kettle, tea, coffee. Ironing room accessible for free (useful for conference participants). Very close to the University Campus.

Limited selection at on-site bar (and other options are few because of the location). However, there is an extended hours Spar market at the University Centre (15 minutes' walk).

Very comfortable and very quiet. Perfect location if you have business at University of Birmingham, and probably well worth the short, cheap train ride to city centre if your business is there.

Boiling hot shower, price of hot meal - £11.95 for small helping

Bar snacks - sandwiches were good value for money, friendliness of staff - although we couldn't work out why we had to order our last drinks at 11pm when bar stayed open til midnight, price of room

There was a problem with the shower not turning off in the morning but the staff came quite quickly and gave us another room as the shower couldn't be fixed soon enough although they did manage to turn it off quickly as well.

The staff were friendly and helpful, rooms were clean and comfortable and lucas house is in a beautiful and quiet environment.

Excellent service from all staff, perfect location for university events, as well as fast journey into city centre via train. Room very comfortable. We have stayed here on 8 occasions, and it is always a pleasure.

The food was terrible. They were catering for a reasonably large group of about 20-25 and the offer was less than generous. If you were a vegetarian and one of the last down for dinner you would be left with nothing. When mentioned to the staff they were embarrassed and it was something clearly not in their control. Mostly the staff were lovely. Two in the dining area were very defensive and grumpy.

Very nicely refurbished room and linen was pristine. Bathroom a little tired by functional and was clean.

The pillow, in spite of a very good quality, was a bit too hard in my opinion, as I prefer softer pillows. There were 4 pillows, but all of them were pretty similar. I would suggest to include different types of pillows so as to match everyone's preferences.

The staff, so kind. The place was in a perfect location. The bed was very confortable.

Lucky to have people in neighbour room that did not snore.. Not exactly sound proof. Breakfast was not of the best, but on the last morning (11.05.18) the chef seemed to be someone else. Much better. What was supposed to be crispy was crispy, and not chewy and burned to a crisp...

Quiet area, in walking distans to the University. When you wake up hearing the birds singing Its alway a bonus:)

The food. The breakfast was cold & the scrambled egg was hard. Since Booking.com have changed their website as well i thought I had already paid yet upon arrival I was informed I hadn’t. This is however an issue with Booking.com not the hotel.

Room was described as a King Room but it was just a standard double bed (not a big concern as it was very comfy).

Great value for money compared to other options on our dates. Everything was spotlessly clean, if a little bit dated. Ample, well-placed plug sockets, extra pillows, bedside lamps, TV, and a spacious desk area. Plenty of space and storage for two people sharing a room. Free tea and coffee, bottled water and biscuits. The receptionist was polite and efficient. The bed was very comfy. Really quiet at night (room in the back of the hotel). Nice small hotel for walking access to University of Birmingham and surrounding suburbs, or onwards to city centre by taxi/public transport.

Bathroom a little small and tired. Bar facilities a bit limited . Restaurant adequate for my needs , breakfast on the second day not as good

Comfortable rooms ,well appointed, quiet, no noise disturbance.Pleasant surroundings - greenery

The only thing the room was missing was a mini-fridge. It would’ve been nice to be able to keep a bit of cold milk for the kids.

The room was clean and comfortable. The bed was nice and big for my kids and me. There was a kettle so I could make tea and coffee. The bathroom was clean; the shower was nice; and there was hand soap, body wash, and shampoo.

V limited evening dinner provision in Sunday’s. Worth bearing this in mind. Bathrooms really need updating !

Very convenient for the university and QE hospital

Corridors were overheated.

Location excellent for our purposes ( attending a wedding locally). Fairly basic accommodation but clean and well presented and good value for money.

The lift was out of order so I had to carry my bags up & down stairs which isn’t too bad if you’re fit & healthy on the first floor. The fire alarm was sounded just before 10am Sunday morning in Peter Scott building, luckily my elderly relatives who are both deaf & dumb were at breakfast in the restaurant in Lucius House.

The room was better than I expected & the staff were lovely x

Confusion about having to go up, down the buildings and out to other building to our room and picking up and down our bags etc. not good for disabled. Luckily it was not raining. The room was dark for semi blind person. The blind could not be pulled to go up for the light we need and we couldn't see anything outside.

The staff were excellent helpful much appreciated The room itself was lovely and so modern and clean

everything about this hotel is a joke, its a stupid student accommodation trying to be a hotel, the only positive was a nice genteleman who was on the night shift who helped us get in, parking was cramped and it took 20 minutes to find as the postcode takes to another site, absolutely ridiculous, rubbish even for a bargain price.

absolutely nothing

Hard bed & hard pillows! Although alternative pillows were available in the room. The blind needed to be about 2 inches longer to cut out light.

This is a ‘hotel’ based within the university. We chose it for location as we were supporting son at a sport event at the university the next day. The hotel did what we needed and no more. It’s clearly not a chain hotel, not purpose built, not out to schmoose. It’s functional and clean and well maintained. The breakfast was better than you’d get in a premier Inn and easy to access. Job done. Staff were helpful and friendly and wanting to please.

The bathrooms are small and dated; ours only had a single shower and a coloured bathroom suit (sand). Having said that it was perfectly functional but just a shame when the rooms themselves have been refurbished. Due to its small size only one person can be in the shower room at one time and some people may find it a bit tight to manoeuver.

The bed was very comfortable and the soft furnishings were tasteful. Good desk space, with table lamp and anglepoise, separate dressing table area with good quality hairdryer, two sets of drawers and adequate hanging space. Clearly the rooms had recently been refurbished but the bathrooms had not unfortunately, which let it down a bit. Powerful shower with shower gel and soap provided. Fair sized TV. Nice warm room; it was snowing outside. Good position for the Uni, although we weren't going there. Prices in Birmingham have shot up over the last few years therefore we don't stay over as often as we did, however I thought this was pretty good value for money; the fact it had free parking was also a bonus. I can't comment on breakfast as we didn't have any; having been out late we went straight to lunch with friends. Check out was 11 am but we asked for a 12 noon checkout, which the friendly, helpful guy on reception happily accommodated.

Bathroom probably needs updating but it was fine for us- towels were great and added bonus of heated towel rail.

Lovely comfortable room - updated decor was pleasing. Very clean. Location perfect for visiting University.

Sound proofing between rooms and room to corridor could be better, noisy late night returners disturbed us. However new hotel being built opposite, we expect this to be better.

Very convenient for Birmingham University where our daughter is studying. Very efficient team cleared snow from car park in the morning.

Don't think you should see corridor lights around the edges of the room's fire door! Very rubbery scrambled eggs 😟 Wifi access through registering with UoB is tiresome.

Comfortable bed, lovely towels, very clean.

The location near the university was ideal, as I was attending an open day. The accommodation was simple but very comfortable, and the staff were helpful and welcoming.

the heater is switched off at night, was rather cold. they dont have spare blankets in the room, ask for a second one for sure. they have only British breakfast and cereals, but no real continental breakfast.

It is very near to the uni, good location. the rooms have very big desks, good for business trip. eduroam works.

Unable to adjust temperature of shower, very hot, a bit of a health and safety risk but to be fair we didn't say anything, I am sure they would have sorted it if we had asked.

Great location and helpful staff.

The restaurant was closed two evenings due to the weather, and no hot food available at breakfast one morning. I presume some staff hadn’t been able to travel into work, but the staff who were there on duty were very helpful. Sandwiches were provided in the bar when restaurant closed.

Staff were very helpful. I arrived during the winter snow so spent much time in my room . Location is excellent for me as I have a granddaughter at the university. Bus,stop close by, and Winterborne Gardens. Bedrooms are very comfortable. Pleasant dining room and helpful staff. A welcoming atmosphere.

It was difficult to locate it but it is close to the university. It is clean and safe but It should provide more services such as university shuttle, iron, microwave or kitchen services, two single bed...

This is our second stay here. The accommodation is clean and tidy, a great location and excellent value. I would highly recommend The Conference Park.

meal on Friday night was poor and the choice was minimal. biggest single issue was lack of communication at reception/checkout. they didn't know we had booked two nights, which caused unnecessary confusion and at checkout, they said that I hadn't paid for the previous night's meal, which I knew I had. In fact, they hadn't taken for the first night's meal!

one course of one meal was good

Would like paper cups for room to make tea and/or coffee. Easier to take out

Comfy bed, roomy room and quiet. Location great if need access to Birmingham university.

The sign about breakfast was confuseding i thought it was £9 with a 25% Off if you booked in advance so worked my buget to it costing me 6.25 per day but no it £9 maybe make the notice better

It was close to where I needed to be and warm

The premises are a bit old fashion, especially the toilets, but nothing very important. This is not a luxurious hotel, just a clean place to stay overnight to get some good rest.

Conveniently located if you need to do something within the university or Queen Elizabeth hospital. Clean and comfortable. Very helpful staff. For the UK not a bad price-quality relationship.

Bathroom fittings a little tires

The shower was amazing even though the bathroom was a little tired . Brilliant fluffy towels and lots of them. Room configured brilliantly - plenty of sockets hairdryer mirrors and lamps.

Ever so slightly outdated. But absolutely faultless otherwise. It had not negative effect on our actual stay. They’re was maybe an absolutely tiny amount of mould in the grout of the shower, but not to the extent of bothering two people who are genuinely diagnosed as OCD.

The breakfast was great and quite varied and generous. Even when showing up ten minutes to closing everything was hot and ready as tho it was just the start. Our room was clean and quite through the night. There was great access to public transport and a very central location. I would gladly make this my go to Birmingham hotel.

Decor in room was very tired. Shower was poor and base extremely creaky. Room was far too hot and had window open all night and yet radiator wasn’t on! Poor sleep as could hear a low level hum most of the night. Sounded like the heating system. Have stayed here before and this noise wasn’t present then. Understand old, tired building and price of stay reflected in standard of accommodation. Wouldn’t stay again for risk of such poor sleep impacted the next day.

Location was fab for visiting daughter at university of Birmingham. Bed was comfy. Towels in bathroom were large, soft and fluffy. Parking was convenient as could park up as soon as we arrived even though we were too early to check in. Breakfast was lovely and good value. Staff couldn’t have been more helpful.

Very friendly greeting, our room was well furnished and unexpectedly comfortable and it certainly didn't feel 'budget'. Excellent breakfast... What more can I say? Comprehensively excellent.

Nothing stood out to me. The room was more than adequate for my overnight stay.

I liked the location as was a few minutes from where the conference was that I was attending. The breakfast was good with a good selection of things and the staff were very cheerful and happy to help. The room was basic but adequate for my needs. The parking was a bit tight but managed to get a space for the night.

The king room turned out to have a queen size bed in it and was not that much room for two people to share a bed. We will sure use the place while we visited our daughter. We might need to book twin beds though.

We were visiting our daughter at the Birminham university , so the location was very convinient for us. We had Visited the Winterbourne house and garden nearby. They were excellent.

The shower never worked properly - I only got cold water in the morning, unfortunately. For breakfast, English breakfast was served, but if that is not your cup of tea the other breakfast options were rather limited and of low quality. The building was not a great state, also the heating was turned on everywhere - making the room and the building very hot.

The hotel is conveniently located on the campus of the University of Birmingham. Although the building is rather old the bed was very comfortable and the staff was friendly and helpful.

Room quite basic for the cost and breakfast was extra. Breakfast expensive for what it was, not huge amount of choice in the restaurant.

Convenient location to event we were attending, good amenities close by.

We left a jumper and hairdryer behind and rang a few times and were told they were not there but when my daughter tried again they had been found and she collected them

We arrived at around 11pm and went to our room. The boiler noise was very, very loud and unfortunetly did not stop all night. At around 1am I seriously considered getting dressed and going to reception but my husband remembered the hotel was sold out because of the Masters graduation. Anyway we thought it must soon stop but it didn,t. When checking out the receptionist was polite but I think she was well aware of the problem and was only able to refund our breakfast costs. Also the bed was hard.

The outside of the building is a little off putting my husband said it looked like a small hospital or care home. But inside did not disappoint.

Average room size, very clean, comfy large bed. Staff very friendly and helpful, ease of booking in offered to pay via cash or card on arrival. Free parking provided would definitely use again. We didn’t eat there so can’t comment but we’re offered breakfast at £9.

The shower was terrible I had my 6month old daughter with me the bathroom looked nothing like the picture the shower was very old and the shower head was very high up. I had it on 0 and it was still very hot. I was also put on the very top floor in the Peter Scott building it was hard to get to and from my room and to the car with my little one. I did say if it was possible to have a ground floor and I got the very top. Just a shame as it was lovely and clean n comfy room.

The bed was very comfy and the room was very clean

The shower in the room wasnt the best, the shower head could not be adjusted to people’s height it was a very old looking bathroom

The room was very clean and comfortable.

Parking is fine if you can get a space, which are very limited. The restaurant is fairly 'university cafeteria style' but the food and staff were fine.

Warm, clean, everything you need for a one night stay.

We had an early start and breakfast was only from 8am. Staff did however say we could have coffees at reception if needed so most helpful

Great location for the university, handy bar in hotel.

The shower did not work properly and was scalding hot. It wasn't repaired during my stay.

Very comfy room, warm and clean. Quiet surroundings and very convenient for my work.

Booking.com stated the wrong checkout time for weekends. The lighting by the Mirror was very dark. It was quite noisy, could hear a lot of the room next door like their mobile ringing.

Really really great bed and even had a hairdryer!

Nothing to dislike.

The accommodation was very comfortable, the staff friendly and the room was excellent value for money. We were able to park the car and take the bus into the city centre with the bus stop right on the road opposite.

The stairs leading from the reception in Lucas House down to the bar/dining area could be made more gentle and interesting especially for the physically challenged or elderly. Cost benefit of resolving the stairs? Also the doors leading from the car park into the reception in Lucas House should be made automatic or more user friendly to a guest with his/her two hands engaged and needing to access through the doors into the reception.

After booking in I had to leave the building, walk to a second building, which appeared to be from the 1970's, the room was tidy but the shower was in dire need of updating, the grouting was coming away, the shelf falling off, and the tray filled to overflowing during a shower. The restaurant once again was like a set from a 1970's film. I paid for a Ribeye steak which was £15.95 firstly it arrived in a bowl!sitting on top of what were supposed to be chips but were basically hot wedge shaped pieces of potato. The steak was about 10mm Thick and looked more like a piece of frying steak. I was asked if everything was alright but by this time I just wanted to leave so I said fine. I was hungry and had eaten the steak and some of the potato's so just paid and left. All in all a lot of money for not very much. Won't stay again.

Having a freezing cold shower in the morning. Limited food choices at weekends with nothing nearby. Having a bin full of the rubbish from the previous occupant.

The bed was ok but pillows were very hard. The décor was rather dated.

The staff were lovely very helpful and professional. The room was clean. Breakfast was good with plenty of variety.

Shower room a little dated. Ceiling flaking.

Location was brilliant bus stop just outside to the city centre and staff very helpful giving me maps and advice.

The hotel is in a quiet green area of B'ham, but easy to reach from the city centre with a bus stop in front of the hotel. The nearest shops/bars/restaurants are a 10-15 min walk. The room was clean with a comfortable big bed and coffee/tea making facilities were present. We had a room only, so cannot comment on the breakfast.

King size room V. Small, i wonder what the others are like - maybe a doll house?? In dier need of some modernisation, partiucarly the bathroom!The room smells of "old"

Bed is comfy enough.

Only one set of towels in a double room and the shower should have a handle on the inside to make it easier to get out - mini things though, this is a good place to stay.

The room was clean and comfortable. All the expected bits and bobs like the shower worked and all the staff we met were friendly and helpful.

Rooms not very well insulated so there is noise from other rooms, especially during housekeeping !

Very practical, functional hotel with friendly helpful staff and it was immaculate.

A really small gripe but the walkway from the apartment to the dining area was slippy, it had been raining though!

I stayed in the apartment and it was really great layout, nice and warm, shower good, able to park right opposite the door to the aprtment. I thought the complimentary milk and water in the fridge was a really nice touch.

Room and bathroom could have been a bit larger. Very few drawers for clothes. Accommodation is in two separate blocks connected by a short open-air path. Meals and the bar are in the main (larger) block.

Comfortable bed and pillow. Very quite location on local road about half a mile from nearest shops and main road. Adequate parking on site. Close to Birmingham University and the Vale students' accommodation area. Pleasant and helpful staff.

Bathroom. Building.

The bathroom was very old and in poor condition. The photographs do not tell the real story of old student accommodation turned in to 'hotel' rooms. No where near worth the £85 paid. Maybe £50...

Everything was good

Staff were excellent as my husband was in hospital thinks didn't go As expected so had to longer the staff were kind caring I would be going Back

Dated hotel in need of refurb Shower dated back to the 80s Pillows in both rooms very uncomfortable

Ideal location to visit university and the vale. Reasonable priced inline with premier inn Very good breakfast

It felt very much like an institutional facility and felt expensive for that kind of ambience. Bathroom was dated. Breakfast was very expensive.

The bed was comfortable and it was clean.

Not immediately obvious on the outside of the building that I'd arrived. Lack of signage across campus from the station. A really long trek from my room to the reception

Being able to connect to wifi, the good number of plug sockets

Situated in a very green part of Birmingham. 24 hour check-in was very useful. Free parking onsite with pass from reception. The breakfast was great and Bakhtiar, the staff at breakfast, was very welcoming. I wanted an omelette and the Chef made me an excellent one. The bed was comfy. The ground floor bedroom windows have security feature that enables you to leave it ajar for ventilation.

I was overbooked, and they didn't allow me to check in until midnight, although I have a reservation.

The location is perfect for the students of Birmingham university.

Browse Lucas House Hotel traveller photo gallery