Reviews of Velvet Hotel 4 stars

2 Canal Street, Manchester City Centre, Manchester, M1 3HE, United Kingdom

#11 of 93 hotels in Manchester

• Velvet King Room

From previous stays there can be a lot of noise from the penthouse if you stay in rooms directly underneath. That’s not a criticism just a note.

Upgraded to penthouse from standard suite, amazing design in every room. Beds are really nice as well as TVs. Feels luxurious and every room is unique.

• Velvet King Room

The view was lacking but that could have been because we got the room at a discounted price.

There was a lot of little extras, like soft and firm pillows that were appreciated. We had a problem with working th tv and when we called reception the maintenance person came quickly and dealt with our problem very quickly too. It was great service

• Velvet King Room

We stayed in a room on the same floor as reception. The room was dusty and the TV did not work right away. There is a bar next door and club Kiki. You could hear music thumping and people shouting until about 4am. Then you heard the construction across the street start at 8am. I am heavy sleeper and even for me it was very difficult.

It was opulently decorated, conveniently located 5min from Manchester Piccadilly. It is on a very busy street. The staff are lovely, helpful and friendly.

• King Room - Party Package (possible noise from bar)

Fabulous, plush, decor in larger than average room for city centre. Reception staff very friendly and helpful and an added bonus of a free bottle of prosecco on arrival! Thoughtful touches like an automatic night light in bathroom, so as not to disturb your companion if you use bathroom during the night. One of the very few hotels that has a plug socket next to the bed for charging phone. You'd be surprised at how many hotels don't have this! Will definitely stay here again if in Manchester for business or pleasure!

• Velvet King Room

Very noisy street, the club down the road opened late, so was woken at 3.30am by the drunk people outside, even though I had ear plugs!

Room was lovely, stunning four poster bed and lush bath, although bizarrely the Tv only had 4 channels?

• Velvet King Room

Being woken up at 6.30 in the morning by bin men, I know bins need emptying but it ruined a good night's sleep, and the hotel entrance at the back stinks because of the bins!

• Penthouse Suite

The roof was leaking to the penthouse and the room was a little tired looking needs some improvements. Definitely not what we paid for. I’ve stayed in better for far less. Staff were really friendly and locations was good overall.

• Velvet King Room

There was nothing I didn't like about The Velvet hotel.

The room itself was fantastic. Different to any normal, standard hotel which is what I was looking for. The staff were lovely and very helpful.

• Penthouse Suite

I booked a suite as I needed to entertain some colleagues. Bizarrely I was not allowed to have more than 2 guests in my suite, and could not have any guests in my room past 11pm. The entire point of booking a suite became pointless in the light of this. Very annoyed given the cost of the suite. Will not be staying again. However, the staff were as accommodating as they could be within their rules, and the room/ cleanliness/ stylishness was very enjoyable.

• Balcony King Room

Very central on a lovely canal-side location. Beautiful room & huge bathroom. Excellent bed. Great staff. Lots of bars around so don't expect peace & quiet. Loved my balcony, complete with sheep!

• Balcony King Room

My balcony room was stunning; clean, comfortable and had every little luxury you could think of. The staff were utterly fabulous, nothing was too much effort.

• King Room - Party Package (possible noise from bar)

Really loved everything about my stay here! stunning room with lots of character, great location and a really nice energy. Friendly and super helpful staff too!

• Velvet King Room

The hotel was having work done but looked somewhat tired and shabby. There is no real breakfast just grab a coffee and croissant. It is expensive for what you are getting since it has no facilities.

Great location. Quirky room designs with balcony.

• Velvet King Room

I felt the room was aimed a different client (not a female, business client). While the staff were lovely, and there were personal touches in the room, I stayed in a very eclectic, slightly scary decor room with a head and side boards of gargoyle-like figurines. One note: all of the figurines were men, except 2 women. Hmmm. Maybe a man designed this? It's not a good sign when you have to ask the person showing you the room if it's haunted. It had a vibe that felt creepy. But maybe that's only me (note: get women's inputs too on the décor).

The staff were lovely, the rooms were large, the care in providing milk with tea and cookies a very nice touch

• Velvet King Room

Noisy outside. Lots of building work happening nearby, and some renovations in the hotel. Parking not easy to find and not much info on parking from hotel email.

Really nice room. Big comfy bed! Clean, nice toiletries. Friendly staff

• Velvet King Room

Didn't know that music would be played till 2am then still here music till 5am from clubs next door but this still wouldn't put me off staying here again.

Everythink

• Velvet King Room

Room noisy due to extractor fan/air conditioning outside but this kept me awake most of the night. Had to change rooms the next day though the staff couldn't have been more apologetic or helpful.

Excellent staff. Very welcoming. Location right near canal so wonderful for running

• Velvet King Room

This was my 3rd stay at Velvet and unfortunately I was disappointed as soon as I checked in when I was told that the preferred room request I sent when I booked the room (2 weeks prior) could not be fulfilled . The room I was put in was basic, with a noisy bed and a tv that didn’t work. What a shame as I’d previously been so impressed.

• Balcony King Room

Noise from other bars was expected until around 3:30 but then we could hear people empty bottle bins at 6:50 in the morning and could hear people walking around in the above room each floor board made a noise. Hardly got any sleep.

Lovely staff and amazing rooms! And the balcony was a lovely touch too.

• Velvet King Room

Comfy bed and pillows, incredible bath and well stocked mini bar. The velvet bar next door was great and the bar man Luke was really friendly and made great cocktails!

• Velvet King Room

The room was beautiful, very comfortable. The staff were very friendly and we got a complimentary welcome basket with biscuits. Also great location, right in the heart of canal street.

• Velvet King Room

As far as mini bars go, theirs is a little pricey.

The staff are amazing and clearly love working in the hotel, who wouldn’t though as it is such a lovely hotel. The staff really push the boat out and go the extra mile. The welcome tray brought up to your room 20 mins after arriving constiting of fresh milk and a few biccies is a very nice touch. Located in the middle of Manchester’s Gay Village it’s also very genuine and acomidating to any visitors. Very happy with my stay here, would definitively return if in Manchester.

• Velvet King Room

Sadly I was kept awake until 4.30am by very loud music from a club close by,very unhappy. Totally ruined the following day for sightseeing. Tried to have a lie in the next day but someone decided to drill into concrete on the outside wall. Oh and there are building works going on opposite the hotel, though they did stop work by 6pm. The phone in the room didn't work.

The bed was comfy. Friendly staff.Very stylish decor. Thick towels. Nice smelling toiletries.

• Velvet King Room

Nothing, but I wish I could have stayed longer!

After I checked in the really friendly guy at reception showed me up to the room. The room was lovely; really comfy bed and the bathroom was great - fantastic shower! I'd definitely come back; if I was travelling with my husband I'd like to get one of the balcony rooms - I think that would be ideal in the summer. Thanks to everyone at the Velvet for making my stay so special (the bar downstairs was great, too).

• Balcony King Room

The lighting by the doorway was not sufficient for me to make proper use of the full length mirror that was there. Also there were hardly any free power sockets to use for my phone and laptop chargers and certainly none that you could use from the bed without plugging out the hotel's bluetooth speaker - that I was using.

The room was nicely designed, spacious and quirky. The TV was perfectly positioned and suitably large. My favorite feature however, was the very large bath that would very comfortably bathe two adults. It was just a shame I stayed alone! The staff were friendly and room service was good. I really enjoyed my evening meal of mussels (starter) and an 8oz fillet steak with handcut chips (main).

• Velvet King Room

They had run out of coffee pods for the room and there was no milk in the room which was mildly annoying but not a massive issue. The bed wasn't terrible but it was two singles pushed together and you could feel the join down the centre.

The room was gorgeous and the outside of the property was very pretty and welcoming. Staff were friendly. Room was spotless and shower was great. Big TV, comfy pillows, overall great. Proper coffee machine was a lovely bonus. It was also in a perfect location, very central but at the far end of Canal Street so far enough away from the clubs for it not to be too noisy (although this may be different on a Fri and Sat.

• Velvet King Room

Breakfast was a sad affair offered in the reception area with coffee from thermos and some dry pastries. Restaurant closed at 8:30 pm on a Sunday night as it was quiet although advertised to be open until 10 pm.charging £ 10 extra for a one hour later checkout seemed petty

Central location in Canal Street with lots of gay bars and venues close by , room was lovely and big with high ceilings and nice bathroom, lovely decor. Downstairs bar very nice

• Velvet King Room

Absolutely faultless to be honest.

Great location, beautiful building, friendly staff and very clean. Also the cocktail bar/restaurant was very good.

• Velvet King Room

Cooked breakfast option would of been nice but took nothing away from our stay.

Rooms were really big and superbly decorated, staff could not have been more helpfully and very friendly, grab and go breakfast is a great idea, location is great right in the center of town. Everything you would expect plus a little bit more.

• King Room - Party Package (possible noise from bar)

I like everything ...the staff are so friendly and obliging . The rooms are a combonation of luxury and over indulgence ...always clean . The location is second to none ..central to all one needs for a weekend date break ...shoppi g ...good food ...theatre ...and just nice bars . Congratulations Velvet your my Ten x

Everything was beautiful

I called a few times to arrange for champagne in the room. The staff couldn’t help enough. Requested a certain room that they managed to arrange it it was stunning. Tbf which ever room we had all of them are gorgeous

• Velvet King Room

Bed was lovely and comfortable. We arrived early and were let into our room straight away Beautiful décor and would definitely stay there again when in Manchester

• Penthouse Suite

The room was amazing, with all the mod cons, inc. coffee maker and kettle with a large range of teas and hot chocolate. The staff were very pleasant and accommodating; there to help! Loved the place...will definitely visit again!

• Velvet King Room

I found it all quite expensive. Check in was at three.i was asked if I would like to wait in the bar and of course I spent money. It's clever but I was very tired and just wanted to get into my room. No one came to get me as promised to say the room was ready.

Unusual themed rooms

• Velvet King Room

Arrived back at the hotel at 11pm after a long walk to be told that the bar was closing which is ridiculous The girl behind the bar had her coat on ready to go home She poured us 1drink then went

Nothing x

I just loved this hotel - it was exciting to stay in but really comfy too. The staff were lovely, the little added tea tray was great and I guess while some people love a big breafast, I loved the grab and go bags, which I grabbed and took back to bed instead! The staff were lovely too and they had a great choice of books and magazines to read.

• Velvet King Room

Some sort of radio advert blasting out of our tv in the middle of the night, and some banging very early in the morning from some workmen in the hotel building.

The room was beautiful, the staff were friendly, location fab and a very very comfortable bed.

• Velvet King Room

Absolutely stunning and fabulous, I felt like a queen in the gorgeous room and gigantic bed. The hospitality tray was also a lovely touch! The staff were very friendly.

• Velvet King Room

The service was amazing! We showed up 3 hours before check in and they were generous enough to get our room ready for us earlier then planned. We had asked for the room with the bathtub when reserving and had gotten it as-well. Its a very quite and comfortable hotel and would highly recommend as each room has its own feel to it! Defiantly would say again.

• Velvet King Room

BE WARNED OF A £50 DEPOSIT. We were shoved in room 13 after we booked the velvet king room. It was nothing like we saw in the pictures. We saw many people mention how the bathrooms are amazing and the tubs are big enough to fit 2 people in. Unfortunately our room looked like a box standard double room with a little bathroom. I was actually inrerested in getting the bath butler whilst I was there but It would’ve been pointless. Building work was going on above us and the noise was going on all day and then woke us up the next morning quite early. Nothing was mentioned prior to us going to our rooms it just seemed they were more interested in getting the £50 deposit out of the way and putting us in a standard room. Dissapointed.

The look of the bed and the room looked ok.

• King Room - Party Package (possible noise from bar)

Nothing it’s a great place to stay, eat and drink.

The Hotel velvet is a little hidden gem right in the heart of Manchester City centre, With very easy access from Manchester Piccadilly station, within easy walking distance of all the main bars restaurants and shops that the city has to offer. The rooms are very tastefully decorated each offer something a little different they are beautiful presented with fab showers and toiletries. The bed was very comfy and the tv was huge. Also loved the little extra touches they add To room such as the coffee machine and Ice buckets etc. In terms of the staff they were all very welcoming, attentive and warm. We also ventured into the velvet bar which offers a vast array of cocktails which are reasonably priced and delicious, again the staff in the bar were very welcoming and polite, I also love the referb of the bar and restaurant area it looks very trendy and suits the hotel very well. I’d definitely recommend this hotel and the bar and restaurant to friends and family, and id most definitely return again.

• Velvet King Room

Breakfast was the only let down. A takeaway option of random sugary pastries when I wanted to sit down to a proper cooked breakfast and prep for the day with my colleague.

Beautiful suite. Great bed, Great bath. Very comfortable stay.

• Velvet King Room

Air con at max temp stil made room very chilly at times but didn't matter once under massive warm duvet

Large beautiful rooms, perfect location, friendly staff, beautifully kept bathroom, delicious freebees. 9.9/10

• Velvet King Room

The bar wasn't open, they're having work done. A little disappointed we couldn't have had a nightcap in the bar.

The little extra touches in the room... fluffly towels, slippers, bath robe gave it one step up from your run of the mill hotels.

• Velvet King Room

Entrance stair carpet a little worn. Loose toilet roll holder in the bathroom but neither of these spoiled our stay.

Welcoming staff. Imaginative decor. Extremely comfortable bed and great shower.

• Velvet King Room

The room needed some attention such a a couple of missing handles The decorating was a bit rushed

It was quirky Excellent service, linen towels etc very good The place was very clean and some nice touches such as fresh milk,lemons biscuits delivered to the room

• Velvet King Room

Very freindly welcoming staff, welcome tray after being shown to room with the nicest fresh muffins to go with a much needed coffee, very spacious room and bathroom, location for visiting the 02 Apollo and then hitting the city drinking after was great

• Velvet King Room

Most of the staff had no idea what they were doing. They told us to park in the wrong place we ended up with a £60 fine. We were told that the room only gets tidied once in 3 days.

The location was useful but very noisy friday night.

• Velvet King Room

Fabulous hotel in a great location. Bed was super comfy. Staff very friendly & welcoming. This was our 2nd visit & we'll definitely be returning again!

• King Room - Party Package (possible noise from bar)

The breakfast wasn’t brilliant. Coffee was not very hot, Luke warm. Too much Hollandaise sauce on the egg benedict

The decorations, ornaments and pictures

• Velvet King Room

Simple question - if you are staying in Manchester why bother staying anywhere else? Good location, great staff, well appointed rooms. Certainly worth every penny and will definitely stay again. Did not try the breakfast but did have an evening meal which was good.

• King Room - Party Package (possible noise from bar)

Liked everything don't have a bad thing to say

Very querky, loved the room, added a romance package and it was lovely, roses and petals on the bed lovely touch

• Velvet King Room

Unfortunately we didn’t sleep well there was someone staying above us who talk loudly and had music on till about 5am :(

We loved coming here AGAIN gorgeous room very central

• Velvet King Room

The bed wasn’t really comfortable. Very hard. Most of the pictures on the website are of the really luxury rooms. Tried to up grade but an extra £80.00 per night. I just always want a nice bit of peice and quiet when I’m away. They do offer complimentary ear plugs but I don’t really pay £275 for 3 nights to wear ear plugs.

I had really looked at the rooms pria to going. Our room was very noisy, with street going ons. Just wish checking was a bit more informative as never knew about the breakfast grab and go system. Our kettle didn’t work in the room until day before check out, due to a different staff member then it was suddenly sorted. Cleaners were fantastic.

• Balcony King Room

It was a little slow to get our room even though we checked in well after the check in time.

We loved this hotel. Amazing facilities and all the quirky extras made our stay fabulous. The room was out of this world. We will definitely be back.

• Velvet King Room

Incredible stay, bed was very comfy I had great night sleep. Beautiful room, very spacious, incredible bath size! Found it very romantic night away, situated in nice place too and friendly staff.

• Velvet King Room

Walls are paper thin so don’t assume quiet sleep is possible. Noisy heating unit. Internal phone didn’t work. Policy on mini bar assumes customer is not being truthful.

Staff tried to help but had no success. Complimentary breakfast.

• Velvet King Room

Hotel was a bit shabby and in need of a redecoration in some areas including entrance up the stairs. A bit too much velvet but the hint is in the name :-)

Staff were very friendly and bed was very comfortable

• King Room - Party Package (possible noise from bar)

The room was starting to look a tiny bit tired in areas but nothing that would stop me staying again. Really enjoyed it.

Staff were amazing along with all the little touches which helped make for a very enjoyable stay.

• Balcony King Room

Rooms are beautifully decorated and I was surprised at how nice the room was. Bed was super comfy! The staff are so friendly, the guy who checked us in is an asset to the hotel!

• Velvet King Room

The croissants were a bit rubbish..not flaky at all!

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The decore was lovely and of a high standard. The position is great.

• Velvet King Room

More towels, smart tv did not have internet connection. Problems with wifi connection also

The huge bed, fresh milk, separate bath and shower, location from Piccadilly station

• Velvet King Room

Restaurant was closed for refurbishment but wasn't told at check in only when tried to book a table.

Room was very good, staff excellent,bar was pleasant. Great location. Refurbished restaurant was nice x

• Velvet King Room

This hotel really takes the experience of staying in hotels very seriously. Beautifully designed rooms with a chic and exclusive feel and very attentive staff that actually listen to your answers when they ask you questions. Well done!

• Velvet King Room

The hotel bar was being remodeled so it was not open at the time of our visit, wish we could have enjoyed it too.

Love the giant tub in the bathroom and the bed was very comfortable. Would definitely stay at this hotel again. Loved the location too.

• Velvet King Room

The view wasn’t great due to building works going on opposite the hotel, but that wasn’t the hotels fault. Can’t fault anything else.

The room was very well decorated and looked amazing! The bath was huge and a definite bonus!

• Velvet King Room

We haven stayed for a while, but I feel Velvet has got a little bit tarnished at the edges and didn't feel quite as luxurious as other stays. When packing up we found some elses socks under the bed, and the ornamental decor on the bed was broken.

Room was lovely, quiet enough for a Sunday evening, staff friendly and kind as always. Cocktail bar is gorgeous.

• King Room - Party Package (possible noise from bar)

As above we were freezing!

The heating didn’t work and I questioned it twice but I was told it takes a while to heat up. On check out I complained and said the room was freezing only to be told the central thermostat for our room had been set to low so no heating!!!! No wonder we were freezing!

• Velvet King Room

Everything. The minute we walked through the door we were treated with such professionalism. The rooms are out of thia world. And i love the little touches, while we were out someone had put lemon/limes, biscuits and even fresh milk in our room. Cant fault the hotel 1 bit

• Velvet King Room

We had a room @ back of hotel - room 22 so the aspect & light in the room was not so enjoyable. Have stayed before in 2 different rooms looking onto Canal Street and preferred these rooms.

Luxurious surroundings, very comfortable

• Velvet King Room

Room was freezing, took nearly all night for the heating to heat up then was too hot. When I complained to reception at 3am they told me takes a while to heat. Bed was uncomfortable. Pictures make the rooms look amazing but on first impression they are noting like the pictures. Totally dissatisfied with my stay.

• Velvet King Room

Had an amazing time, visited for my partners birthday and to our surprise we have been upgraded to a suite. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, could not of asked for better

• King Room - Party Package (possible noise from bar)

Coffee machine in the room didn't work, the room was very noisy and we could hear the music from the bars on Canal street. Therefore, we couldn't get enough sleep. Otherwise, everything else was good.

Room was clean and bed was comfortable. We were offered a bottle of Prosecco shortly after our arrival. Staff was extremely friendly! Bar offers a wide variety of drinks and cocktails. The restaurant was very nice, although the menu is not suitable for vegetarians.

• Velvet King Room

The bathroom was a let down - needs a refurbishement. They slacked off on those extra touches - hot chocolate sachets has been in there for weeks, mini fridge was not cold enough and sink plug didn’t drain, we got a last minute deal of £114 room only for one night... not worth the £169 it was originally worth

The bed was comfortable and the bedroom nicely decorated

• Velvet King Room

I loved this hotel, right in the heart of Manchester. The boutique style was spot on and the staff were nothing but helpful. We got an upgrade to the penthouse suite which made the stay extra special. I'd recommend it to all.

Browse Velvet Hotel traveller photo gallery