Reviews of Warbrook House 3 stars

The Street, Hook, RG27 0PL, United Kingdom

#7 of 8 hotels in Hook

• Grange Double

Light easily came through through blinds in room. Walls fairly thin as could hear neighbour snoring all night

Beautiful setting. Nice sized room. Nice sized bathroom. Comfortable bed. Delicious breakfast

• Mansion Double

Its long overdue repainting and decorating, was dirty in communal spaces, the bar area was basically dirty. I was embarassed to bring my firends there. Diappointing when compared to the photos. As a business has great potential not being realised.

Staff were friendly and helpfull, the grounds are spectacular, not expensive.

• Grange Double

The service couldn't have been friendlier, and the food was excellent. We were delighted to be able to have a hot meal late into the evening too. The setting is beautiful too.

• Mansion Single

NOISE. Staff crashing around dis-assembling an event from 9pm to 10pm when I was trying to sleep in advance of a 4.30 start the next morning. noise and vibration for an hour Bedroom close over the kitchen wash up area. The 'pot washer' making noise again until after 10.00pm. NO AIRCON. The noise problem exacerbated by having keep the windows open.

Convenient location for this trip. Room was fine.

• Lodge Double

Staff were a little disorganised although pleasant. Pot-holed driveway could do with repair.

Nice sized room and bathroom, comfortable bed. Lovely breakfast. Super surroundings

• Mansion Double

Even though there were tea, coffee and cups in the room there was no kettle. Not good when your gasping for a drink at 1 pm after dancing the night away!

Staff very helpful, nice fresh fruit salad at breakfast.

• Grange Double

Our room was basic without a window that opened. The bed was pushed up against a wall so I had to climb over my partner to get in it. Awful drab dark green wall colour.

The location and main building look lovely but it doesn’t meet expectations in every aspect

• Lodge Double

The bed was actually very comfy and I slept like a log. We were going to a family wedding and my daughter used to work at Warbrook, We went for the wonderful grounds and thankfully the weather allowed us to enjoy. The staff we encountered were all good, but would give special mention to the lady 'night manager' whose name we didn't get and to Catherine, who welcomed us to breakfast. She was excellent with the children who came. Very friendly and welcoming.

• Lodge Double

The room was overpriced told £80 then they held £92 of my card our room was on the main road it was dark and dingy. Bathroom was filthy paint falling of the walls and ceilings and cobwebs .massive black mirrow plonked up against a wall chunks of the wall. Went to reception and they had no other rooms .?? Would not book here again. We went and stayed at the new inn which we organised down the road and what a difference beautiful rooms clean staff so friendly defo worth the money .

Nothing at all

• Lodge Double

Felt a bit disconnected from the main house in an annexe. Bathroom looked clean but quite brown around plug hole and taps. Think a training course was going on in the annexe and a lot of noise when people went to bed. Woke me up

Things were ok nothing special

• Mansion Double

The hotel itself was lovely, the staff were very friendly, the bar was nice and the hotel was clean, but I was in the area for business and needed some room to work from my room in the evening, the room was just too small, that was my only fault

• Lodge Single

The room 84 poor bed awful bathroom and shower very dusty and the window had been left open so when i got in at 00.30 was very cold .

The staff all very good

• Lodge Double

Bathroom was a little small but lovely and clean

Bed comfy great pillows BUT the quietness of room 20 was fantastic, I’m a light sleeper and not hearing anyone in the corridor was great

• Lodge Double

The hotel was dirty and we were placed in a “lodge” away from the main hotel which had single glazed windows and was next to a busy main road. The curtains were absolutely rancid, covered in stains and there was some sort of machine in the room collecting the condensation. There was a lingering bad smell in the room and I would never stay here again.

• Grange Double

Double bed rather on the small side but. Verycomfortable

Great for dogs, the grange room we were in had French doors .. Bonus. Would definitely stay here again

• Grange Double

Wonderful place !!!! Staff are great food is great the grounds are amazing and so is the house!!! We stayed in the annex called the Grange which was clean warm and comfortable!! It is having a facelift (grange) whichbit needs as it’s a bit tired but still really good

• Lodge Double

Pictures on website didn’t reflect standard of room. Room was tired, bathroom wasn’t great, water was freezing in the shower & the carpets throughout were filthy

Wasn’t even told where to get breakfast despite it supposed to be included in rate so went withoyt

• Mansion Double

£15 extra for the dog was extortionate. There were no parking spaces in the evening when we returned from an evening out.

The room was very dog friendly and quiet.

• Grange Double

Disappointed that there was no tea/coffee making facilities in room No juice out at breakfast along with sauce basic requirements really

Venue in lovely setting

• Grange Double

Not enough tea, coffee and milk in the room!

The room was of a good size and clean with an amazing bathroom 😊 the grounds and buildings were just lovely

• Lodge Double

Not being able to attend a wedding and still having to pay for accommodation.

We couldn’t come as my husband was in hospital. Sadly you wouldn’t give us a refund.

• Lodge Double

Rooms in need of TLC and a good clean. Moved from first room as roller blind was broken in the shut position. Second room great size, but very worn out (wardrobe door handle hanging off, bathroom showing signs of age...)

Stunning grounds and excellent attentive staff. Smashing grub!

• Lodge Double

I stayed in the Annex at the end of the drive. Upon arrival I was given two keys a plan of the area and a room number. I arrived at the front door of the annex to find it locked and no one there. I tried my keys in the door only to find they did not fit. After ten minutes I eventually found a door that one of the keys fitted. I then had to search the floors until I eventually found my room. Throughout my stay the front door was locked and no one was in attendance although there was a sign saying that there was a security guard but he was on patrol and to call for assistance. This is a great help when you are on the outside and cannot read the sign! At breakfast the next day I had to ask for some eggs which took so long to arrive I had finished my breakfast before they arrived. I had to ask three times for more coffee and although the waitress was wandering around with a coffee pot she kept missing me and only eventually arrived with an "oh did you want more coffee"!

the room was comfortable once one was able to find it! See below.

• Grange Single

Bed was very comfy , great shower and everything you could need provided in the room for the overnight stay. Great Full Breakfast too. Very helpful staff there too.

• Grange Double

There was nothing that I disliked about the building.

I liked the style of the buildings and there was a lovely bar area and the grounds were beautiful.

• Lodge Double

The hotel itself looks fantastic... it was a HUGE anti-climax to then be pointed towards a separate building called the Lodge. It was not clear that this is what I had booked and I wouldn't stay in the Lodge again. I would consider the hotel itself.

• Grange Double

For mid week business trip - Room overpriced / Did not take breakfast as it was way over my expenses remit - but that seems typical for this area. Annex renovation needed. Looks tired and to far away from main house at the end of the day to walk for evening meal or a drink.

Good nights sleep.

• Mansion Single

The single room was pokey - just enough space for the bed, dressing table and wardrobe (although this prevented the door from opening fully). The wardrobe was so full of ironing board, fan, tea and coffee things it was hard to hang any clothes! The windows didn't open and the blind on the bedroom window could not be raised - so no natural light or air in the room. Very disappointing.

The location is convenient and I have stayed there before without any problem

• Lodge Single

Unfortunately there was a tray of left over food and drink on the floor of the ground floor corridor just by the room entrance. Still walked past it when checking out next morning.

Like my previous stay I had a comfortable night stay in a quiet location on a beautiful site. Available free and safe onsite parking. Clean room and environment except the left over tray mentioned above.

• Lodge Single

Nothing that I can recall for this stay.

It's worth noting that the hotel provides various categories of accommodation within its site. I stayed in the accommodation at the end of the site and happy with what I had. Comfortable bed, TV with several freeview channels,very quiet location and beautiful clean and extensive grounds. I often decide late about my stay in Hampshire and often go for the best value for money accommodation available; Warbrook house tends to come up as a frequent option of my stay.

• Lodge Single

What I didn’t like was the unavailability of Wifi in this particular building which did conflict with booking.com information system. Resolved without hesitation by Warbrook house. Best to be aware one of the isolated buildings has no wifi access in rooms. On site road sign does let the place down especially if, like me you arrive when dark.

Started off in one of the site buildings with no Internet access. Booking.com asked if I wanted wifi access when booking but hotel confirmation after booking, which I only saw after checking out said Wifi not available in the building. As I needed wifi access for essential work purposes staff readily arranged an alternative room for me which is commendable. I now check very carefully when booking this accommodation not to book room in this particular building on Warbrook site. Hence my grading is pitched midway between both rooms stayed that night.

• Lodge Double

Despite paper site map I had difficulty locating the allocated building and had to return to reception for help. Road signs to buildings can be improved.

Adequate parking facility.Clean and we'll tendered environment. Basic ensuite room. Found it useful having ironing facilities available in the room. Didn't realise there was a tray with kettle and tea/coffee in wardrobe until when leaving next morning. Ground has a number of buildings.

• Grange Double

Dirty sink around plug hole! (Needs Cif).

The price was ok for what we wanted,breakfast ok,young girl who looked after us at the table was very good !.Entance door to hotel is not very inviting !

• Grange Double

Room was very small. Bathroom had no door and provided no privacy. Breakfast ran out of food and had to wait 20 minutes. Bar was not open when leaving to purchase soft drink. Ordered room service and provided no cutlery and forgot bread roll with soup. Real shame as beautiful setting.

• Grange Single

Room was cold and shower was hard to decipher, harder as the bathroom was freezing!

Beautiful location, spacious room with very comfortable bed; friendly helpful staff.

• Grange Single

I was in a room for disabled guests. The room look worn out and not what I had expected. Ok for somewhere to have a basic overnight stay. Not sure I would go back to this hotel.

Breakfast was very good. Looked to be good facilities and the location was very nice.

• Grange Double

Have stayed a number of times in the past as the hotel is well located for leisure trips. Very pleased with room on this occasion; spacious, clean and quiet. We ate in the bar and were well looked after by the attentive staff who made extra effort to ensure that we were well looked after. Recommended.

• Lodge Double

A really great self contained hotel set within its own grounds. The staff are really helpful and it’s one hotel that has everything that I need so that I do not feel that I have to go elsewhere for food for example.

• Grange Double

The rooms was in an annex way off the main building which wasn’t clearly advertised . The bulldog they were in was really tired and old (not in a good way), very 70s style dark wood. Rooms were ok, fairly clean. Breakfast was really nice. Just in the main building that I had to drive too.

Location was good in terms of the venue

• Mansion Double

Seemed almost empty on the night we stayed with no amosphere. Breakfast is nothing like the pictures! In fairness, I'm not sure how they would cater for so few people, but the photos are very misleading.

Comfy bed. Plenty of parking. Good location for our needs

• Grange Double

Dated shabby rooms. Uncomfortable bed.Like a 1990 Travelodge. Definitely in need of a renovation. Quite depressing walking into the building and room. If it was renewed and decorated it would be good

Wi-Fi and location

• Grange Double

On checking in we were advised that neither the bar OR restaurant was available to us due to a private function (wedding). We should know this at time of booking. Room booked for 2 people yet only 1 small bottle of shampoo & 1 small bottle of bath/shower wash in bathroom. I requested some conditioner and body lotion - neither available. We stayed in the Grange...a separate building - which obviously doubles as a conference facility and main room had dirty crockery across all tables late in the afternoon. Lighting in bedroom was poor. Measly amount of tea and coffee supplies in room, immediately had to request more on arrival. Bedroom looked very ‘tired’.

• Lodge Double

Bathroom shower was terrible it sprayed everything but the person in the bath. The hard water had clogged it up and it needed better cleaning I wish I had brought my tools as it really needed a new head and could have been fixed in 5 minutes. We stayed in the east lodge which was nice but smelt a bit of damp however after airing it a bit it was ok.

Great house with period features and the murder mystery night was fun and interesting.

• Grange Single

The tea/coffee making items were placed on a tray on a table in the corner of the room - absolutely nowhere near a socket, so I had to move the kettle onto the dressing table in order to plug it in. It also would have been nice to have a box of tissues in the bathroom.

The room was generally clean and comfortable.

• Mansion Garden View

I prepaid for a room which I was informed included a bath tub, which to my surprise was not the case when I arrived with my partner as the room only had a shower. As the view from the room we were allocated was so good we decided against requesting another with a bath tub as was promised. The bathroom had an odd rot smell coming from the sink drain and the room heater was faulty, which we were told by reception that there was no way to switch off due to it being sealed. We were offered an 'additional fan to cool the room' which in the end blew hot air around the room making for a pretty unpleasant sleep. Other than that we had a very decent stay.

• Grange Double

I upgraded on arrival and paid for breakfast, in the morning the dining staff were not aware I had paid for breakfast. I was not told breakfast timings, but I did think it would be in the information pack in the room, however there was no information pack in the room. Minor things like Wifi code and such would have been useful.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Dining room in main house rather gloomy and could do with an update and better lighting.

Excellent garden-view room in main house. Refurbished in 2016 in a pleasing country-house style. Very comfortable bed, plenty of space and excellent bathroom. All very clean throughout. I had half expected a disappointment as with so many hotels in the UK but this was different. Very acceptable breakfast and attentive staff. The lack of a gym or pool made no difference. Of particular note, the hotel was warm throughout despite the January chill outside. Price point just about right.

• Lodge Double

The accommodation in the annex building is poor and should be clearly explained at time of booking. Transport to main venue is via golf buggy, is was freezing cold and to be transported in an open sided vehicle was poor.

• Mansion Double

The staff was nice, although the bed sheets were not changed one since our stay and our coffee/teas were not changed either. The bed was not comfortable and felt like it was at an angle which made it difficult to get a good nights sleep.

• Grange Double

Windows didn't open, no fresh air and so caused condensation.

Friendly helpful staff, beds comfy, radiator heating temp adjustable in room, one evening meal had was very good, when guests visited us for mid morning tea complimentary cakes were offered.

• Mansion Garden View

Noisy adjoining room resulted in early wake up at 5am by neighbouring room who kept snoozing their alarm on Christmas Day!! Room seemed clean but the blinds were stained and had squashed flies in them! Sash window also rattled all night long and needs some attention. Also be careful when booking room if you want a bathroom door in your room, very open plan.

Nice staff, good food. Spacious room.

• Mansion Double

Stains on walls. Staff only bothered about large functions going on in the hotel. Dirty crockery. Hovering staff

Food - Sandwiches were nice. Pleasant greeting on arrival

• Lodge Double

I have stayed at Warbrook a number of times recently because it has been convenient but I think now it is time to give up on the place. When you book through booking.com the information is frequently completely wrong and extremely misleading and you rarely end up with what you think you have booked according to the website. More often than not you are shuffled off into one of the outbuildings a long way away from the main building. But the biggest problems are that the double beds actually don't deserve to be called double beds in a number of rooms as they are extremely small indeed. Additionally the toiletries supplied in the rooms are very inadequate as all that is ever supplied is one minute little piece of soap for two people. Infrequently nowhere near enough toilet paper for two people so unless you are prepared to bring all your own soaps and toilet paper you would not have adequate when staying at Warbrook. Also the supplied amount of tea and coffee in the room to make your own is miserly to say the very least. The food in the bar area is nothing short of dreadful. Stale bread and insufficient fillings. We have given Warbrook every opportunity to retain us as regular customers but I'm afraid it has not done so. I simply cannot recommend it as being anywhere near good value for money. A very disappointing stay on a number of occasions now, and I shall not ever repeat the experience. Warbrook house in my opinion needs to seriously get its act together very quickly or there is little doubt in my mind it's business and reputation will suffer seriously and permanently.

The staff are all very friendly and pleasant and the location is good.

• Grange Double

Booking.com's description of the rooms on one occasion was completely wrong. You should not allow this as this is totally misleading to the customer

The location of the property.

• Lodge Double

We couldn't use the main house as it was booked for a Wedding! The room was right onto the road and so hot we had to open the windows and consequently it was so noisy we couldn't sleep The bathroom was dirty and the shower so bad it was unusable as it sprayed with bad pressure everywhere We were in the lodge as we had a dog, and no-one should be put in this accommodation it is just not up to standard shabby tired and dirty as well as incredibly noisy and, with windows open polluted.

The Tally Ho pub for supper was excellent, nothing good to say about Hotel though!

• Mansion Double

The meals. I asked for fish in chips (*not cooked in beer batter as advertised), meal was not what I was expecting. Asked for a plain ham sandwhich but it had rock salt in it & I paid the price of a beer battered fish & chips (£13.50).

Staff went out of there way to help me when I had an issue. They upgraded me to honeymoon suite and still paid the price as when i booked through Booking.com

• Mansion Garden View

Walls were paper thin. Could hear all of next door. Shower and toilet were not enclosed, they were in private area behind bed so if you were staying with someone they would hear you in there, thread-bare area on carpet on step way to shower area should be addressed. Booking.com messes up reservations for this property and will put you in a house double vs the garden view room. Make sure you call the property after you book and before you arrive to make sure correct reservation is sent through or you will end up in a lesser quality room.

Nice old house set back from the road. Room was fairly modern. Pretty good wifi. Things were clean. Room was good size and had some old period features.

• Mansion Garden View

Newly refurbished, but compact room with a small (4' 6" ) bed. Dinner on the Saturday night was a disaster. Uninspiring menu. We were a party of nine and main courses arrived, after a very long wait, in dribs and drabs.

Beautiful Georgian mansion in a lovely parkland setting. They dealt well with the disaster of Saturday evening's dinner.

• Mansion Double

There was an infestation of ladybirds in my room I discovered In the morning when they landed on me whilst in bed. When I told reception they shrugged it off and didn’t offer any kind of recompense.

My room looked well presented, it was quiet and I liked the nespresso machine

• Mansion Double

Upon check in found out room in the block to the rear of the property another drive after walking to reception with luggage, this room was disgraceful mouldy shower curtain disgusting bathroom mould and poor cleanliness holes in the room decor and the phone didn’t even had a socket to be plugged in so I had to call reception on the main number from my mobile. We get transferred to the main building where I find our new room slightly cleaner but no hot water in the shower night before or morning after an electrical socket covered in duct tape and just an overall absolutely terrible experience

I struggle to find a positive

• Lodge Double

Food didn't materialise, staff were not equipped to deal with what was a polite complaint about it taking 50 minutes to make a Caesar Salad

Friendly reception staff, good location

• Mansion Double

Room service twice delivered cold food with no cutlery, bathroom needs updating (and a better clean), bedding marked not enough to deter me (but my wife wouldn’t have slep in it!), breakfast @£15 overpriced, especially as I was told it was £10 when I checked in! Stale bread and soggy crisps with my sandwich. Bottle of peroni delivered with food was probably warmer than the food (slight exaggeration, but you get what I mean!)

Cheap hotel near my job

• Mansion Double

My originally allocated room was a considerable distance from the main hotel (where all the facilities are). Decor was a in a poor state. Rooms in the main hotel (where I was moved to later) were of a considerably higher standard, though there were a lot flies in the room I was allocated for some reason.

Main building and grounds are attractive. Staff helpful when I reported the fact that wi-fi wasn't working in my room and quickly moved me to another room.

• Lodge Double

The heating was not on in the room on arrival. The heated towel rail / bathroom heater did not work. The bathroom lino was badly rucked and the decor generally down at heel. The blind on the velux window did not work.

Convenient location

• Lodge Double

Fair value, but mislead. Stayed in Grange house as opposed to Warbrook. Clean but old accomodation. Breakfast area outdated and scrambled egg wasnt good

staff friendly

• Mansion Double

The way the rooms are divided off for breakfast and the buffet was in a small room quite a walk away from the room we were in We had a problem with the lock on our door which we reported , had to leave the door unlocked when not in it

I liked the character of Warbrook house

• Lodge Double

The bedside tables glass tops were covered in dust, as were the light fittings. The carpet on the stairs to the room was very stained. There was no box of tissues. No green tea in the selection, and no biscuits. For the general state of the room, the price I paid was excessive.

The bed was comfortable.

• Lodge Double

The bedroom was spacious. I thought the size of the bedroom merited more than one chair. The area around the outhouses was a bit muddy and puddly. I was only there for one night without dinner or breakfast, so I can't comment further.

Plenty of space and nice grounds to walk around. Extremely quiet. It was as if you were a guest at an English country house

All good.

Staff and management were absolutely superb, couldn't do enough for us. Excellent dinner and breakfast, great chef. The countryside setting, very peaceful. Hotel very grand in style. Currently being refurbed, under new ownership, will be great when finished. Will be staying there again.

• Mansion Single

In the room I was staying In, there was a built-up of dust on the side lights/ TV etc also in bathroom the window was cracked with tape over it. The blind was covering it! The TV connection was rubbish every time a door closed along the corridor the TV would lose signal.

Nice place to stay. Good value for money over the two nights I stayed.Comfortable bed

• Mansion Double

Grange more of the conference area of hotel. Room very tired. Stains on curtains. Signs of what looked food or sick on top of toilet door frame. Safe didn't work. Paperwork on desk from previous events i.e Harry's Halloween Party held on 28th October 2017 and Murder Mystery on 27th! We stayed on 4th November 2017. Breakfast on until 1000hrs. Went down at 0930hrs. Door to food area literally shut at 1000hrs whilst we still eating. Think wedding guests from night before got priority. Generally disappointed as chose this based on Booking.com images.

Convenient location for party we were attending

• Mansion Double

'The Grange' (modern wing) has its own reception and breakfast room so really no need to go into the main hotel at all. This building was like a really bad outdated chain, budget hotel - total waste of money.

• Mansion Double

Arrived in the evening and found it difficult to find our to room in the Grange. Better signposting would be helpful though a member of staff did come to help when asked!

• Lodge Double

It’s a lovely building the only thing I could complain about was there was no food available apart from a ham cheese sandwich yes I did get there late but would of loved to have better room service and food had to settle for crips

• Mansion Double

The bedroom in the overflow building the grange was ok. I would have loved to stayin the main house

Breakfast was delicious, staff were friendly and polite

Browse Warbrook House traveller photo gallery