Reviews of Wendover Arms Hotel 3 stars

Desborough Avenue, High Wycombe, HP11 2SU, United Kingdom

#6 of 7 hotels in High Wycombe

Very clean and comfy for 45 pounds.

Did not understand the reason for the 100 pounds deposit for paying cash. I didn't see that when i was booking.

Room was good, shower was excellent and it was comfortable for what it was.

The room was small, but clean

It said breakfast was included in the room rate and it wasn't. Also no separate reception. My 8 year old son and booked in at the bar at 7ish on a Friday night. It was very loud, people were very drunk and there was alot of language.

The room was small, but clean

Breakfast was very good.

Tv in room not working properly. Shower didn't drain very well and shower head needed cleaning.

Breakfast was very good. Staff were polite and helpful.

Comfy bed

Service

I was told in arrival no restaurant so no food was so hungry And thought breakfast was included as said it was in booking They wanted 8.95 Was basic Wouldn't go back again .

It was ok for the price but would not stay there again

Television didn't work and staff didn't do enough to correct it All double bed rooms have the bed against the wall so whoever is on that side needs to climb over if need loo in the night

Once we changed to a twin bed room there was plenty of space Allowed our dog

Would never visit again and wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy!

The smallest hotel room I have ever seen! Double bed in a box room against a wall! Bathroom is like the size of a cloakroom and is the width of the shower cubicle! Really noisy as windows were rubbish. Walls are paper thin so had to listen to other guests having sex!

Weekend stay

The sink in the toilet was very shallow and therefore could not fill kettle up and had to put water in cups and then pour this into the kettle. On one occasion I had a take away, and ate this in their bar and there was quite a bit of swearing going on from some of tthe customers which could put people off from coming back.

I liked the friendly and helpful staff, the comfortable bedroom and the location of the hotel and the breakfast in the morning.

Short stay of only two nights but a very decent hotel for those purposes.

Nothing comes to mind

Clean very pleasant place and good value. Staff very helpful. Good parking facilities. I would certainly stay there again in the future if I was visiting High Wycombe . Good sites to see nearby such as Hughenden Manor. So good location for further exploring.

It was OK for one night.

Noisy, inconsiderate clientele outside the front of the hotel. Something to do with it being a pub also. They were laughing and shouting a lot ..... (drunk, obviously) It’s not a place for families, especially with very young children. In fact, I saw no families , which tells me something.

Checking in was straightforward.

Nice room but very small!

Room was extremely small. However clean and comfortable bed. Bathroom was a good size with nice shower.

Good location for purpose of visit. Clean room Comfortable bed with nice white bedding Good shower

highly recommend
    • Family Room

i think the childrens play area could do with some tlc and the breakfast a little overpriced considering not much selection and menu not child friendly

the staff was warm, inviting and polite The room was well decorated, clean and had everything we needed

Adequate but not the best I have experienced.

Welcome poor. We were told we were too early in spite of the fact I had rung to ask if we could arrive a little earlier than 2pm. Room perfectly clean but small and inadequate blinds and no curtains so the room was very bright at 5am! Noisy at bedtime from music and people in the bar downstairs. Traffic. I thought the picture of the hotel n booking.com was very misleading.

The breakfast.

Excellent value, very comfortable and convenient location close by M40 junction 7.

Excellent base for short stay - I was actually just one night but, if I were on a longer trip, I would have been happy to stay a few days. Staff very attentive and responsive to requests, single room very pleasant.

Comfortable stay and quiet room

The shower was broken so we had to shower in another room that morning which was inconvenient, but we understand these things happen sometimes. Neither the hotel manager nor the cleaning staff could fix it for me. After leaving, I had to ring up 6 times before I managed to speak to someone about the problem and ask for a slight discount due to the fact we couldn’t shower that evening as all the rooms were in use. When I eventually got through to someone a week later the customer service was very poor. At first they said they wouldn’t give me a discount at all because when the plumber came out, the plumber said there wasn’t a problem! They said they had to pay his call out fee (which it sounded like they blamed us for! Even though no one could fix the shower for us)! They eventually took £17 off the room price.

Comfortable stay and quiet room

Perfect Hotel for trip to Wembley.

Great Staff, very clean and spacious bedroom. very friendly customers in the bar area, even managed to get us a taxi to the train station sorted so we didn't miss our train.

Perfect for what we wanted and we were well looked after.

The first impressions were sort of ok .......... but the service, and the guy running the place were superb. The rooms were a little on the small side but in excellent condition and very comfortable.

My stay was perfect for the price of the room.

I'd of liked to get some conditioner for my hair as I have long thick black hair and also some AC or even just a fan as the room was very very warm.

We only stayed for a night just for me and my partner to have some Alone time and for the price of the room I have absolutely no complaints.

The shower control didnt work so the water was extremely hot...

The shower control didnt work so the water was extremely hot and I felt this was dangerous.I reported it to the management but nothing happened, I suppose because it was the Bank Holiday weekend.

Very clean and reasonable value.
    • Family Room

The location was ok for us as we needed a bed and little else but there is not much nearby. The rooms were very clean and the beds comfortable but the rooms were cramped. It did us fine for one night but maybe cramped for a longer stay

Very clean and reasonable value. The bar area and beer garden were good and showing BT sports

Basic but clean and everything worked.

Not a lot - breakfast seemed very pricey so we went elsewhere.

Basic but clean and everything worked. Not somewhere for a special night away but fine if you're just wanting somewhere to lay your head, have a good clean shower and a decent bar. All-in-all - great value

Early booking - paid an extra £10, but allowed us to enjoy our day to its full potential.
    • Family Room

The booking form could have been a bit clearer, as we thought we had paid for breakfast too. Seemingly we hadn't.

The bedroom - although basic (not even a telephone) was fit for purpose. We only needed a place to sleep. Beds were very comfy, we all slept well.

l recommend this hotel, but eat, and drink somewhere else

The hotel was a pub as well, and so if the weather is nice you will get people drinking outside. The local clientele don't seem to be the 'type' that have a quiet drink. If I would give anyone a tip for staying at this hotel is get a room at the back, and not the front where all the outside tables are. The pub part doesn't feel all that welcoming, because of the clientele... If you need a nice room for a few nights in this area then l recommend this hotel, but eat, and drink somewhere else.

The plus side the owners are very welcoming, and very nice people, the rooms are very clean and modern. If you need a nice room for a few nights in this area then l recommend this hotel.

Room 1 was very clean, comfortable and soundproof - wouldnt have know we were next to bar.

Great food, very warm welcome, clean, comfortable. Check distances to location you are visiting (Booking.com said 2 miles for us when it was 10 miles!).

Ok for a night,

The fire door outside our room, was used as the smoking area, became very loud and smelly!

Nice modern rooms, still work to be done and looks like in the middle of being done!

Clean & comfortable room but probably better suited for singles or couples, then families.

Check-in /reception was in the bar's pub and had to walk through a crowded room to have access to room (arrived during a poker evening) Arrived around 19:30 but kitchen was closed. No food available. When I left in the morning I dropped swipe card at bar, but no particular greetings and staff didn't say thank you for staying with us or asked how was my stay. Found it a little bit impersonal

Room was well furnished and modern. Very comfortable bed and shower room very clean Kettle available in the room & also coffee & tea Wi-fi and wide choice of TV channels available

Noisy

Noise in the hotel very late till the early hours, could here every word from the next room. Leaving early so they said would put out cereal etc for us by 6.30 was done had to ask and the milk was off , quickly rectified though

First Hotel iv'e been to that doesn't serve evening...

First Hotel iv'e been to that doesn't serve evening meals! instead you get the option to order a take away & eat it in the bar. The rooms are not very well insulated from the noise of next doors shower, t.v. & talking

Miserable

Service and food

I had conformation that I paid for breakfast. But on the day was told I had to pay. I asked for manager, and had to speak to him on the phone!!!! He said they had this a lot, but agreed to give me toast and coffee and juice. The coffee was disgusting, not drinkable. The toast soggy and only half done. The pillows in bedroom were like thin hard slabs. I certainly will not be staying there again. On a different note, the bedroom was decorated well and amenities good.

Great value for money, excellent bedroom facilities, top condition

It lacks a woman's touch, bare walls, no plants or flowers outside, bare uninviting bar area. Under previous owners it had stunning flower boxes outside that made it look beautiful. The fire place in the bar area is a good start, but it felt like being in the school canteen, lighting too harsh etc

Great quality accommodation, comfortable beds, great shower

Convenient, welcoming. I'd stay again.

Noisy at night, but then it's a pub as well as a hotel and I'm not complaining

(1)Location, reasonably near the town centre and railway station as well as the M40 junction. (2) warm welcome fro reception (3) bar area if a drink's needed (4) decent car park

I didn't like it.

Parking was haphazard, the car park is not marked with bays and one van driver decided to park sideways across, potentially, three spaces. The 'top' car park was unmade and muddy in parts. Rooms are very small. Payment is taken up front, but if a VAT invoice is required you have to apply to the head office to get one. No evening meals, so you have to find a restaurant.

Location was quite convenient as I was working in High Wycombe. Breakfast was good.

This hotel is not for families, however the room was basic and clean,

This hotel is not for families, it is more for for blokes working away from home, the walls are quite thin - you can hear everything that goes on in the other rooms! there was quite a bit of nocturnal activities that went on throughout the night by other guests!

Room was basic and clean, it had just been redecorated

Would not stay again
    • Family Room

Very noisy in general but lots of ‘noisy nocturnal activities’ not suitable for families with young children due to the type of clientele using the hotel.

The recent refurb was ok & rooms fairly clean.

Liked the early evening chap friendly

Early morning manager blunt Needs to be more respectful to paying guests Book in at bar not separate reception No place to hang clothes as you book in Grab payment as soon as you get in bar,most request payment on check out

Shower Quality of surroundings Room good

Good central location and good price

VAT receipt wasn't available when i paid and I was told it would be there the next day but it wasnt. I had to email for it. No food served other than breakfast "Breakfast included" however if you want it cooked its £8.95 extra

Good central location and good price

The bed was really comfortable.

The shower appeared to have only one temperature, regardless of how I adjusted the knobs, and that was way too hot for me.

The bed was really comfortable. The room was lovely and quiet at night.

Basic.

Check in bit dismissive, broken blind meant the outside lights shone in and it was too hot.

Like a Travelodge, clean and basic. Mattress was firm and the room clearly was new.

Good for a stop over stay

Room a little on the small side but had all you needed for a night stop over

Plenty of parking good clean place to put your head down staff lovely and friendly good breakfast

As always met all our needs for a place to stay near family.

Room was a little tight fir space for a 3 Night stay. TV reception very poor but we out a lot so did not matter this time.

Just right heat in room. Not too hot or cold.

Low cost, clean, cramped, thank goodness we only wanted somewhere to sleep.

Reception was in the bar and there was a massive party going on, so it was very difficult to hear the receptionist. Fortunately our room was as far from the bar as it could be, so the noise was not an issue BUT had it been closer it would have been unbearable. The room was ridiculously cramped, literally a meter gap around the beds, one chair, and the hanging space was over the "desk/kettle area". Smallest shower I have ever seen although water flow and temperature was acceptable.

Place was clean and warm

Excellent memorable stayed for 6days .

Approach from station to wendover arms was tough for me . Wish it was more easily reachable from Heathrow airport .

Excellent place to stay .clean friendly and supportive staff . Unlike many reviews place is very clean and peaceful . Very comfortable rooms though small . Bar is very lively but you cannot hear the noise in the room . Value for money - keep it up guys !cheers !!

Nothing. Honest. All good.

Staff were great. The place was value for the money. The bar was great and normal pub prices.rooms were immaculate. Shower was excellent. Could not beat it for the price

Nice accommodation with good price.

No late check out when we were snowed into the car park, so had to loiter with the baby in the bar.

When we checked in, we were given a free upgrade as the staff member felt it was easier to have a ground floor room for the baby.

Nice room but Disappointed with greed and lack of customer service

The snow came down and I got stuck in the car park, they did not help anyone get out and just pointed us to the salt bank. No shovel no help and I booked a room just in case I was stuck there but when I eventually dug myself out they wouldn't refund the room cost even though I was not staying

Hotel has been refurbished so was quite new and facilities in room good

Perfect for my needs

I tried to book for another night: it would have cost more to do it through the hotel than to go onto Booking.com and book that way.

The shower didn't work but was fixed once I told a member of staff. The floor of the room wasn't as clean as it should have been but everywhere else was clean. The hotel seems to have been recently updated.

ideal for a short stay.

The room was small but functional. You had to move the kettle to plug it in by the bed and the sink was a little too small. The floor was very dusty and needed a wipe.

The hotel was nice and staff were welcoming. Ideal for a short stay for work.

will not go again

the bath room could have had some where to put things the room could have had more than one chair , the breakfast was not worth the money it was not a full english, some body needs to learn how to cook

Ok for the night !!!!!

small room, breakfast was enough but obviously cheap products used. The staff were ok ther person who checked me in was rather surly and disinterested. the morning person on reception was much friendlier.the breakfast waitress service was akin to a transport cafe. it was all in all ok for one night but not for any longer !!

it was clean and quiet ok for 1 night

It was ok for the money

The car park although spacious was more like waste land. Also when I checked out they couldn't provide an invoice?

The rooms were new and very clean

Could do better

Room was very small. Dirt on the sink. Bed was uncomfortable and up against the wall so one of us had to climb in and out. We were asked to pay up front of our stay. No welcome, no one asked if we would like breakfast. Quite unfriendly.

3 night stay for leisure.

Could have provided sachets of shampoo and bars of soap.

The breakfast, the room and location. The staff were helpful and friendly and I really enjoyed my stay.

Great value for money

Sink very small, unable to fill kettle had to use shower or use a glass. Apart from that stay was very pleasurable, very good value for money.

Bed very comfortable, shower very powerful. Good value for money.

Cheap but not chearful

card machine not working so wrote my credit card details on a piece of paper (highly illegal) when I questioned this he told me that there was no other way.. You also have to walk through a pub with rowdy drunks and I had a child with me . No tea facility , fridge, iron etc

affordability

A convenient, well priced, clean and friendly place to stay!

There was a slightly stale smell in the room when we arrived which was disappointing as it was easily dealt with by opening the window! The back entrance door was ajar when we arrived back in the evening and still open the next morning which I thought was unsafe.

The bedroom was spotless and adequate for our needs and had a nice sized ensuite attached.

Very basic hotel

This is a very basic no frills hotel, seems to be used by contractors rather than families and couples The room was overly warm even with the heating turned off

Nothing stood out

Rubbish

Smallest room I've ever stayed in. The shower was boiling hot to the point I couldn't have one and the knob wouldn't turn at all to change the temperature. I told a member of staff about it, and he said it was fine that's how all showers are, but it actually burnt my skin so they need to sort their showers out. Some of the staff very rude, cut me and my partner some dirty looks, they need to be more welcoming. The room was so expensive for what it was. It wasn't very good.

Allowed the dog however it was a £10 fee.

Adequate and comfortable for short stay.
    • Family Room

No kitchen in pub for dinner. No extras like drinking water. Breakfast was also extra.

Good location. Comfortable sized room, clean. More than adequate for one night.

Nice and cozy environment, the bar had a few regulars which...

It's an uphill walk!!

Nice and cozy environment, the bar had a few regulars which I enjoy as a scenery (not just tourists). Room very clear. Morning coffee on the house. Not far from downtown. Would use it again.

Affordable, clean and nice atmosphere

Very reasonable price, clean rooms, amazing staff and friendly locals. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Many thanks I'll certainly be booking again if I am in the area

Rooms clean and comfortable

As a pub with rooms, it was noisy and pub felt a little daunting to walk through to get to rooms with a heavy drinking culture evident

Rooms clean and comfortable

Clean and comfortable. Own transport advisable.

The hotel was not very near to the town centre or the train station, and, although there was a corner shop nearby, there were no cafes or restaurants in the immediate vicinity. It was therefore not ideal if not equipped with a car.

The room was comfortable and clean, the water hot and the television and Internet worked well. The price was reasonable. There appeared to be good parking facilities.

A bed to sleep in, not a place to linger.
    • Family Room

The guy on "reception" ( i.e. the bar) clearly didn't have time to complete his customer service qualifications. It's just a place to stay, not anywhere you would want to linger. He relayed the breakfast order to the woman in the kitchen incorrectly and then shouted audibly at her which didn't add to the general experience. The breakfast was not worth paying for, we should have gone to the John Lewis nearby.

This hotel is handy for Heathrow and cheaper than a lot of the options close by. The bathroom and bedroom were very clean.

Good value for money I will stay here again.

The only thing I can say I didn't like was there was no shelf in the bathroom for my make up, but not too bothered by that.

Clean and good value for money.

Basic, short stay

I didn't twig that you had to use your key-card to turn power on, but it's a small quibble and one I had with myself for not realising(!). The area will never win awards but it's High Wycombe for you sadly.

the fact I could actually sleep.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

Cheap and cheerful

Car park seemed a little busy but did eventually get parked.

The room was spacious and clean. Our dog was welcomed at a minimal charge. Will definitely boo again.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Check in brilliant - The room was great, bar staff and breakfast brilliant - thank you

The night staff member thought I had smoked inside and set a fire alarm off but it categorically was not me at all - I only ever went outside the building as always. That has upset me as they must have cameras.

Staff were kind and helpful

Cold room

I has asked for a 100 pound room deposit and had a through out inspection on my room in the morning just because me and my partner came on a Friday night. Service was very horroble we got lost around Oxford after working at the festival and were to tirerd to drive as we are from London just made me feel really untrustworthy we don't look skatty to cause an inconvinience of taking a 100 pounds on the night lucky I got paid in cash for work as there was no atm anywhere near

very nice modernised 'pub' style hotel

needed space in room to place cases. But the bathroom was quite big but with tiny basin - too big and nowhere to put toiletries etc

Unlike many 'pub' hotels the rooms were very well sound proof from sounds at the bar. The furnishings of the rooms was 'functional' but clean and in good condition

Good price, nice clean room and bathroom

Shower was extra hot and I tried to use cold water but it made it worse haha

The bed and pillows were comfy, room was clean and tidy, had everything that was needed.

Does the job, just about.

Only a bath towel provided, no hand towel. Blinds not curtains, so didn't keep out all the light. We had to leave early (6.30am), breakfast was provided but it was very basic: choice of three cereals, orange juice, coffee. No toast even.

Pretty basic but clean and the bed was comfortable enough. Convenient for Marlow. Good value, paid £47 for single room without breakfast.

good but the rough nightclub entry was rather off putting
    • Family Room

There is a bar in the main reception when you need to check in that felt like a rough nightclub full of very very loud drunken locals? There was loud club style music with a loud bass (although couldn't hear that in the room). also the shower was powerful but water was cold

The room was clean and had nice bedding. Staff friendly and yes and coffee etc provides in the room. Bathroom spotlessly clean

Avoid Like The Plague

This isn't a hotel, it's a pub with rooms, and a grotty one at that. The staff were inflexible and unfriendly, the rooms poky, the pub run down and shabby and inhospitable. The breakfast was awful. No-one would choose this unless desperate. Grossly over-priced. The rating is also misleading, as it seems the minimum one can give is 0.5 in each category - I would give zero for almost everything if the feedback form allowed.

Great value for money!

Would be nice if they served food. It was pouring with rain and we had to go out to eat.

It's super clean, modern and comfortable and has a nice bar area. The staff are friendly and helpful.

The staff is very helpful, friendly.
    • Family Room

The staff is very helpful, friendly. They have a bar, a great free parking, a lott of shops in a short walking distance, even a big mall in 10 minutes walk.

Uninspiring, minimal personal service, sad place to stay.

Lacklustre approach. Minimal service level. Reception was at the bar and no feeling of welcome at check-in after a long day. No explanation of facilities. Questions were met with a lack of enthusiasm - not sure if the staff had no training or was just not interested. Fire doors were left open. The room was dusty on the first night but cleaned properly the second night. Common areas minimal. It is actually a converted pub and now has a modern but drab feel. Had asked for a receipt on checkout and was told this was issued by its sister hotel in town and I had to ask for that by e-mail...When I did, they sent me an invoice not a receipt (having paid up front). So all in all, avoid unless you are just getting your head own for the night and off to the Business Park or hitting the road.

Convenient to the Cressex Business Park and the motorway, relatively new refurbishment. Would suit travellers who value privacy and don't need/want interaction with the staff.