Reviews of Wensum Guest House 4 stars

225 Dereham Road, Norwich, NR2 3TF, United Kingdom

#23 of 37 B&Bs and Inns in Norwich

• Large Family Room

Was broken toilet paper holder.but i was left staff to know soon when i came in a room and check up my self.. staff was know it already.. its not big problem for me.but i was with kids and 1 off them 2 y. Old so i dont wount what staff finking what its outher foult.

Staff verry friendly,room is clean. When we was come back from center always was room clean.Good job,staff.and thankyou for extra milk, for coffee ;)

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

No improvement needs to be made.

The Full English Breakfast was delicious. The staff at the Guest House were friendly without being obtrusive and we would stay there again. Our room was clean and quiet.

The room was a bit tatty, there were only skylights, no windows, was hot and a lot of noise from outside and the old plumbing.

The owner was very helpful and courteous. We wanted an early check in, the room wasn't cleaned but we could leave our bags there. The room was clean when we returned. Was in an ideal location for an event we were going to,

Room needs TLC. Noisy-room downstairs by door. Woke when anyone came in late. Squeaky floorboards, hear walking around all night. Right next to reception & breakfast room. Paying £5 for breakfast.

Staff were friendly and room had all facilities needed. Plenty of parking.

It's very well located. Good sized rooms with plenty of amenities inside. Staff are friendly and the breakfasts reasonably priced. Beds are comfy and the rooms themselves are clean. Free car park is a plus. A lovely place for a night away. I thoroughly enjoyed staying, and would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I sent a message with my booking (for one adult and a child under 3) that we would be arriving before 4pm (the only possible checking in time available). I didn't mind not being able to access the room but did want to drop off a heavy bag. I received an email stating that my arrival time was "16:00. However, our normal check-in time is between 4.00pm and 9.00pm" which didn't make much sense. I called the landline number given a couple of times but got no response. I didn't worry too much; I've stayed at lots of places with my little one and there's usually someone around to help and keep a bag safe. I arrived (in the rain with a heavy rucksack and a child needing a nappy change) at 3pm. There was nobody there and no way of accessing the guest house. When I called the mobile number I was curtly informed that this number was for emergencies. I explained my situation and was informed this was my responsibility; had I spoken to someone on the 'phone they would have left a key for me. I pointed out that it had not been made clear at point of booking that there would not be anyone on site. Again I was informed that I should have spoken to someone beforehand. At no point did staff acknowledge any responsibility for any communication difficulties. This was unhelpful. On staff advice, I accessed the back garden and left my bag in a dirty but dry location. Whilst I was changing my child (on the doorstep!) another couple arrived with a similar problem. They had called several times after booking but had not been able to get through / leave a message. When I checked in later that evening, there was no attempt made to apologise for my inconvenience. In addition, it was not recorded that I had a 2 year old with me (despite me making this clear to the same person just a couple of hours ago). I was informed that a cot was available but that it might not fit in the room. It was left to me to suggest they try.

It was clean and generally comfortable. Everything functioned well. The food was nice and promptly served. Staff accommodated requests for warm milk for infant. There was the potential for us to have had a very nice stay.

They whole stay was incredibly easy and problem free. We were greeted by a very polite gentleman at reception that made us feel very welcome and the premises was very clean and tidy. Overall a pleasure to stay at

Breakfast wasnt included in the fee, which is ok for large hotels but you expect it in the price for guest houses. Room 8 could do with updating.

Nice on the outside. Nice breakfast

All was exceptional.

Possibly the crosssaints were exceptional, but unfortunately I was leaving too early for work to appreciate the breakfast. It was very clean,comfortable,stalff very friendly and the cleaner every day made it all lovely and cosy. I left her a thank you card and chocolates as a big thank you.

The room smelt like an old people’s home and was cheaply furnished and decorated. Everything was a bit tatty or a bit broken, eg towel holder, seals around the shower room, headboard wonky and banged against the wall til we pulled the bed away.

Staff were lovely - polite, friendly and helpful; easy check-in and check-out; breakfast was really nice and great value for money; shower was powerful; slept well in the beds; good location for the city centre

This is a very clean and good value place to stay but with a little more effort could be excellent e.g. the artex arches in the reception area are very dated, making sure that all the lamplights in the rooms work, showerhead is fully secure, toilet seat is secure. Minor attention to detail that would raise the rating from very good to excellent. However would recommend this establishment.

Great location for getting in to centre: excellent car parking, Appreciated the flexibility to book breakfast the night before our departure. Not overly friendly but no nonsense, helpful and sensible staff!

The room was very small. The beds were very uncomfortable, can feel the spring, couldn’t really sleep on those beds. 25min walk to city centre.

Staff was friendly when we checked in. Quite clean. Wifi was quick.

• Large Family Room

Spotless! Beds comfy! Spacious family room for 4. Some outside traffic noise but to be expected. Friendly staff and tasty breakfast. Great value for money and central location. Would stay again!

• Large Family Room

Bit tatty. No loo roll holder. Huge crack in sink. Ripped duvet cover. Shelves in bathroom looked very un stable. Just attention to detail.

The guest house within walking distance to norwich. Big room. Plenty tea/coffee making facilities. Checked in early.

Small room. Breakfast though excellent, was charged extra.

Staff helpfulness. Nice location for my needs with free car park (city center, UEA, and trips to surroundings of interest).

The room was very small and it was not a full-size double bed. In the en-suite the toilet was very noisy when flushed and the shower controls needed repairing they did not work very well fortunately were to the hot not cold ! The tap on the sink moved when turned on and off. But it was only for one night and was clean but need to get these fixed and this room really a single.

The parking was ideal and the owners allowed us to leave our bags before check - in time. The cooked breakfast was good but could have provided a bit variety in yogurts and fruit. Room was clean.

When we arrived to drop our bags off at around 12:30 in the afternoon the hotel was locked up & no staff were present. This meant we had our overnight bags with us.

It was close to a very nice pub.

Room spotlessly clean and comfortable. Breakfast not included this time but at only £5 per person exceptional value. Very good cold selection but we went for cooked which was superb.

Great off road parking, Wensum house was warm, clean and comfortable, with ample boiling hot water for a lovely bath at the end of a long day, everything in the room you could need, with toiletries provided, soft white towels and plenty of complimentary beverages. Excellent value for money and will certainly return, Breakfast was lovely, cooked to order and with plenty of choice.

Some mould in the bathroom and some dents in the wall but hey for the price I can live with it.

Great welcome, good off road parking. Breakfast (£5 extra) was perfect.

the shower was a little cramped.

The staff were, friendly, helpful and efficient. The breakfast was tasty and very good value. The room was clean and comfortable and the water was hot.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The only reason I marked the room size down was that the single room wasn't ideal for a long stay but a family bereavement doesn't allow you the luxury of planning time - and that wasn't the Wensum's fault. But please please get some better quality pillows - a little thicker and a little firmer.

Staff were super friendly and attentive, nothing was too much trouble. The quality f the breakfast was superb - both the selection of ingredients and the way it was cooked and presented.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

Nothing really. It suits me fine.

Excellent value for money breakfast. Polite and pleasant staff, would definitely stay again and recommend this place to others.

Something was wrong with the heating in my room as I could not turn the radiator down and it was baking hot all night so I got little sleep. Did find a fan to help. Staff were very concerned in the morning and promised to check it out.

Very friendly and obliging staff. Warm welcome. Nice clean rooms and bathrooms. I had an excellent shower cubicle with great water pressure! Comfy beds, nice biscuits and hot chocolate in rooms.

All good.

We booked a triple room for three adults for three nights - it was brilliant .. good size room with one double and one single bed ... breakfast was £5 per head as residents .. it was fabulous too. Ideal location for visiting Norwich - plenty of parking on site at the Wensum - would definitely stay there again.

Got told on arrival that the en-suite room I had booked had been given it to a family who wanted an adjoining room, which mine apparently was. There was no advance notification of this. Offered me (the only room left) with a shared bathroom/toilet facilities at discount, but when I did the calculations realised this was just the price of the alternative room anyway! I also was offered a free breakfast worth £5 (whoopee). But the worst thing about this room was that a loud flushing/whooshing noise would occur every 30mins keeping me awake all night - the room is near the boiler, may have something to do with it? Reported this when I left but heard nothing back. Also beware that if you have the shared facilities room, the door to the bathroom/toilet is directly opposite the dining room door which is kept open, so your visit to the bathroom will be in full view of the customers eating breakfast!

Room was compact, comfortable and clean (despite some staining on the paintwork on the wall near the bed). Shared facilities were also clean and spacious.

The room was cold, not sure the radiator was working. The shower room was so small (the width of the shower cubicle) that you couldn't stand at the sink very easily. There was also the smell of the drains from the shower room.

Easy access to Norwich. Breakfast was good (although a little cold).

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Few dirty marks on the wall near my bed

Fantastic value full english breakfast for £5. Easy to find. Secure parking on gravel outside the house. Arrived very late and key facility provided in security box at front door with access code given in advance. Extremely helpful, polite, friendly staff both on the phone prior to the visit, and during the visit.

Small room that was a bit shabby. Poor sound proofing- felt like people having showers in room next door & above us were having a shower in our room!

Family run. Friendly staff.

The room we stayed in had a skylight window and we found this a little claustrophobic but it didn't matter too much because we were only staying one night .excellent accomadation

The wensum was a great place to stay very comply and clean food at breakfast excellent and the staff were very professional we would stay again.

• Large Family Room

Everything was in order, no problems with our stay.

Breakfast was superb. Cereals,fruits,yogurts and then a nice full English to follow,set you up nicely.

only a very minor comment: the cold water tap ran hot for quite a while before cooling down: once bitten twice shy!

Very neat and tidy premises; room clean and well equipped.

Your Booking .com website pic number 4 said BREAKFAST INCLUDED whereas we were charged £5 each per day. Obviously a marketing trick to make it seem a cheaper option, but a bit underhand, we thought, and probably unnecesary

Room No 15 is a bit small but a quiet ground floor twin, which is what we wanted

Our room had a buzzing noise, possibly from a machine outside which was annoying during the night. A pity as the room was at the back of the guest house and it was otherwise very quiet.

Very friendly staff. We were able to use the lounge area off the breakfast room at night which was good.

I was put in an attic room with only a skylight. Was not what i expected but it was lovely, just the same.

Staff SO helpful and friendly. Full English breakfast was perfect. Room spotless every day. Loved it

Extra food on plate Breakfast was good but should cater for the bigger person

Just made to feel welcome and they will let you book in early if you ask also leaving at midday is brilliant

Our bed was quite hard so I found it difficult to get to sleep. However, my other half slept absolutely fine, so may have just been personal taste.

Staff were really friendly and helpful. Lovely rooms, very clean and stylish - my other half was relieved to find a fan in the room as he gets hot very easily!

The mattress was very hard so I had to sleep on top of the duvet. The shower temperature varied depending on how many were using it. Otherwise it was clean and conveniently located.

The breakfast is perfect!! They have some choices from the little buffet and the fresh-made English breakfast. The selection from the freshly made breakfast was superb! Everything was delicious and fresh.

Arrival - smiling greeting & helpful. Day1 Inefficient breakfast staff. I don't expect a 5 min wait before someone arrives. Order arrived but incorrect. Eating in low levelled lighting so almost dark! Front desk shuttered so unable to ask about going into Norwich by bus. In evening desk manned but glowered at rather than greeted as came in. Day 2 breakfast staff sour-faced & totally impersonal. Desk also being managed by said sour staff member.

That I would come back, price was good ideal for me.

I do stay at 6 to 10 b/b in a year. England, Belgium and Holland with the car and motorcycle. I try not to use the same B/B,but I would use this one again. There was always enough tea/coffee in the rooms, kept very clean. For the price and location very good, Staff are very helpful.

The only one member of staff that we encountered. She didn't crack a smile once, I don't think she even looked at us, she gave us the impression she'd rather have been somewhere else, far far away. That made us feel unwelcome. Unhappy in her job? Maybe? That or lack of people skills?

Was close to town.

I appreciated the quiet of the location and of the room I had. (A colleague staying in a central location over the weekend couldn't sleep Saturday night because of the city's noisy night life.) The staff were courteous and helpful.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Wifi kept cutting out in the evening, making work difficult. Shower in shared bathroom needs some maintenance. Couldn't ever get through to anyone on their landline phone number.

Clean B&B did what it said on the tin, shared bathroom was fine no problems getting in there. Good full English breakfast + cereals etc, cost £5 (pay at reception) but worth it. Great location, easy walk into city centre for dinner, and loads of parking space.

Excellent accommodation. Extremely clean and comfortable room. Excellent breakfast, with efficient and friendly staff. Would definitely recommend this guest house.

Bathroom rather awkward - not much to be done about sloping ceiling but a few shelves or surfaces to put toiletries on would have made a huge difference. Shower needed an overhaul-soaked the floor each time we used it.

Convenient location (walk into town, but we were heading out of town so it was good for us). Reasonable price, good breakfast.

Kitchen staff

Good room. Staff at breakfast not good could not do a boild egg but any other got a large pot of tea with just 1 tea bag. Ask for toast got 1 slice between us

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The place feels worn and the beds and pillows were hard. If you are looking for basic, clean shelter, Wensum is that. If you are looking for hospitality and attentive service, skip this place.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Hard poached egg instead of soft . Staff should always ask hard or soft Meagre portion of bacon on restricted breakfast choice

Simple check in administration

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Service at breakfast was a bit slow - staff were working flat out but there weren't enough of them.

Room was a good size & bed comfy. It included 2 chairs as well.

Breakfast on day 2 very chaotic. No coffee in machine. Long queue when machine eventually filled. Staffing insufficient for a busy service and not very well trained.A bit out of their depth.A bit fawltyesque. Bed not made up

Room, bed, bathroom. Clean, adequate, comfortable.

the mattress was too hard for us so didnt sleep too well and the toilet ans shower room a little small not much room .

the breakfast choice was excellent and the cooked breakfast very good.The room was nice and clean and linen excellent.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Late check in is the only real downside. Only one member of front of house staff?! Our sink gurgled when someone was using the shared shower.

Clean, comfortable rooms, basin in room (shared bathroom). Great breakfast. Good parking but seemed to be quite full later in the day.

Girl on reception could have been a bit friendlier and engaged with clients a bit more - although not rude, did give the impression that she would rather have been somewhere else!

The bed was very comfortable and they did a super cooked breakfast!

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Very clean and comfortable with welcoming staff. Private car park and good location, only 15 minutes walk from the Lanes. Convenient for moving son from uni accommodation. Single room had sink and tea and coffee making facilities. Also appreciated the dressing gown for using the shared bathroom - thanks. It was good to have written directions on their website for those without Satnav travelling alone! It was easy to find. Hope to stay again.

Would have liked to have seen a member of staff at reception in the morning instead of just a basket to drop keys in.

The room had recently been decorated and was extremely clean. Breakfast was excellent.

En-suite a bit tired would benefit from a make over, nowhere to put shower gel or shampoo.

99% excellent, room good size, bed very comfortable, facilities very good plenty of choice for breakfast. Good location on bus route into Norwich centre.

• Large Family Room

Would have been good to have been able to check in early. Reception unmanned until 4pm

Breakfast excellent with friendly waitress. Family room was very comfortable with a double and two singles

Very small bathroom yet everything is there and working.

Nice comfortable rooms, great breakfast, easy parking and walking distance to the city centre.

It was lovely and quite. The room was well equipped for example it had a fan kettle and hair dryer. It was also really clean and tidy both inside the property and outside in the car park. The room was a decent size and comfortable as well.

Small bathroom but OK for a single room.

Good, friendly service. Excellent custom made full breakfast. Tea/coffee making facilities very acceptable. short walk (about 15 mins) into the town where there were some nice restaurants.

The only small thing was at breakfast the table felt sticky although they were clean, it's maybe what they used to clean them with.

Everything was very good we really enjoyed our stay and all staff very helpful. We will use again.

Our en suite shower room was tiny. Our friends' double room although booked 5 months ago was an attic room with only a skylight and it was very hot and claustrophobic but had a good bathroom. A single room for another friend did not have a wardrobe but only a rack and again a tiny en suite. Early 10.30 check out but late 4pm check in.

Spacious room and loads of drawer space and plugs. Good breakfast.

• Large Family Room

- had to wait a while before we could get into the building - pillows not very comfortable

Very friendly helpful staff on reception, good range of food for breakfast, great central location and public transport

Very minor - shower flow is not particularly powerful but this didn't detract from our stay. In fact we are planning to return soon.

Room was comfortable and adequately catered for three adults (us and our son). Breakfast was hot and tasty with plenty of options available. Staff are friendly and welcoming.

Although the bathroom was a good size, the basin was very small and there was no cabinet or cupboards and just one bathroom shelf.

Comfy bedroom. Very helpful and friendly hosts. Good choice for breakfast. Plenty of parking.

On a busy road, but I knew that when I booked it.

This was an excellant guest house. Great location for city centre. Beds really comfortable and eveything that you could need on a few nights away. Breakfast great, everything you could want and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Would definately go back if we visit Norwich again.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The staff serving breakfast seem d a bit grumpy and bored. Would have been better to be a bit more friendly!

Cleanliness of the hotel was perfect. Tea and coffee facilities were a nice touch to.

The bed was a little uncomfortable but as it was only for one night this didn't bother us too much.

We enjoyed our stay at this Guest House, staying the night of our son's graduation from UEA. Friendly staff and great breakfast. Good value for money. We paid £10 for a taxi into the city (via our son's student accommodation) which was quite reasonable too given that he was some distance away from where we were staying.

The checkout time could of been later (12:30) and the ceiling in the bathroom shouldn't descend because me, my daughter and staff have hurt their head there many times. They could avoid that by putting a ''mind your head'' sign on top of it.

The beds were extra comfy an the breakfast was out of this world. The scrambled eggs just gooey enough, I was so proud because it was the first time my daughter ate tomatoes and liked it. The sausages cooked just right , the mushrooms not at all soggy and the hash browns did not give a hint of bluntness. I'd say it was worth what I paid and I'll definitely be coming back.

A very nice, comfortable guesthouse a quarter hour walk from the center. Tasty breakfast in English style. Extremely nice service. Coffee, tea and biscuits in the room. Comfortable common space - couches and tables.

Guest House was on a busy main road. As weather was hot windows were open so it was quite noisy. Breakfast order got confused with regards eggs.

Beds were very comfortable. Fan provided if needed. Room was very clean. Very near to City Centre.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The " shared bathroom" was down a flight of stairs. The SHOWER was highly dangerous- stuck on scolding mode. Even the charming and helpful manager could not make it work and the alternative meant walking through the dining room in bare feet ,in my nudity ,covered only by my mini dressing gown !! thank you very much!

Friendly staff who let me book in extra early- to leave my case in the room AN EXCELLENT BREAKFAST lots of choice- clean and beautifully presented. They ordered me a taxi which came right on time

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Decor could have been a bit more modern in the rooms but they were clean tidy and comfortable.

Shared bathroom was left a mess by other guests but that's not the hotels fault. Friendly staff. Good location excellent value

Room felt cramped and the bathroom needed some redecorating. We were in an attic-type room at the end of a longish corridor and up a stair, though the person on reception did carry some luggage up for us. The room had no window that you could see out of, only a Velux one, so no view at all. Not sure what the noisy 'clunk' we heard each morning was, early enough to wake us up. We were disappointed in the choice of cereals - only the standard small boxes, no muesli.

Friendly staff serving at table. Natural yogurt and some fruit on offer at breakfast, and the full English breakfast was good.