Reviews of Wentbridge House Hotel 4 stars

The Great North Road, Pontefract, WF8 3JJ, United Kingdom

#2 of 6 hotels in Pontefract

The bedroom was very hot at night, it might be a good idea to have a fan in the rooms during the warmer months. I know it is an old building but the floor boards outside my room were very noisy, there was a lot of people walking through which did keep me awake, maybe next time I will request a quiet room?

Offering little treats on arrival was very sweet.

long way from the mainline station

Very comfortable bed and night. The green surroundings are just idyllic and I wished I had my partner with me to enjoy. Fab dinner too

Nothing to dislike.Grounds are a superb wedding location.

No complaints whatsoever, Comfort, cleanliness. friendliness & professionalism of all staff & location were all excellent Excellent dinner & breakfast plus very good choice of beers, wines & spirits.

Leaving.

I can honestly say this was one of the best hotels my wife and I have ever stayed in. The Brasserie restaurant had a fantastic menu with lots of choice and all food cooked to perfection. Breakfast was excellent with lots of local produce. Staff were also very attentive and professional in every way.

A rather eratically noisey fuse board but staff very helpful.

The staff were all excellent. Helpful, efficient and clearly well prepared. I had an excellent Sunday roast. Very comfy bed.

Cold room - heating connected to a/c, i. e. no heating once a/c was turned off. No toilet brush. Service personnel for breakfast missing (only one friendly old lady had to serve everyone).

Nice location, large and quiet room

Front of house staff couldn't of been more helpful and friendlier

Breakfast choice second to none loved the different rooms to chill out in with the beautiful log fires.

• Deluxe Garden Double Room

The bed wasn’t very comfortable woke up the next morning with an aching back

Beautiful idilic setting, quiet and peaceful with a lovely view from the garden room, lovely greeting at the reception with a hot chocolate and sweet treats

Should have asked for a walk-in shower (bit old for climbing into bath!), but managed. Needed more light above mirrors for make-up.

Staff v. friendly and helpful. Beautiful location. Pleasant room. Superb breakfast.

Nothing wrong!

Quite and comfortable bedroom. Perfect air conditioning (quiet, but efficient). Dinner was very good, one of the best I have had. Breakfast was also excellent.

On the first night the room we were allocated was very cold with only air conditioning to heat the room, which caused an asthma attack. However when we spoke to reception about it they very helpful and immediately swapped our room for our second night’s stay to a room at the front which had normal central heating.

Beautiful bed linen and lovely toiletries

Rear car park dimly lite, I feel it would benefit from extra lighting.

Gorgeous hotel in a lovely setting. From the moment I arrived until I left the experience was first class. Room was very large, well decorated and very comfortable. Breakfast was relishing, nothing was too much trouble.

The best hotel I’ve stayed in for a long time, and I spent a lot of time in hotels! I booked a standard room and was upgraded to the most perfect 4 poster bedroom which had to be bigger than my entire house. I didn’t want to leave!

On the nights I was staying my laptop would not connect to the hotel wifi. The staff went to enormous lengths to help me get my emails, even phoning an off duty member of staff who they thought would be able to 'sort the problem'. He did.

A near perfect hotel.

Accepted that the walk from the annexe to the main facilities through the ups and downs of the old house were a penalty worth paying for genuine Georgian connections but the clunky lift gear in the modern annexe was a bit of a surprise.

Staff friendly and helpful, food very good, well located near A1 for visits in West and East Yorkshire (Barbara Hepworth Gallery and Yorkshire Sculpture Park in addition to the attractions of Leeds, Sheffield and York) and a good place for some peace and quiet.

• Deluxe Garden Double Room

We didn't find anything that we didn't like.

Large room (we had a garden de luxe room in the Lane wing). comfortable bed. Very friendly and efficient staff. Brasserie and fine dining restaurants with excellent food. Very good breakfast with fast service for the cooked items. Property is conveniently close to several main roads, but has 20 acres of grounds so is quiet and secluded.

Got there for an overnight stay on my way to Sunderland. Arrived at 9:45 pm to find that the only food available was sandwiches. Consequently, i was looking forward to a cooked breakfast in the morning, all included in the £ 160.00 overnight price. unbelievably, i was informed that breakfast was only served from 8:30 which was half an hour after the time i intended to leave. I was given a form with which to choose the in room options for breakfast at 7:30 am which offered me a cereal and yogurt option with a hot drink !! It must be a lovely place to work as the management care more about the staff getting a good nights sleep rather than looking after the guests. Wanting a cooked breakfast at 7:30 am does not seem like an unreasonable request for one person staying for 10 hours and paying £ 160.00 !!

One armchair in a bedroom with a dining room chair not good for 80 year olds.room ,no51 was very draughty and not of a superior quality,more basic .TV might have been bigger screen with decent sound quality.

Outside the bedroom was good even excellent

The whole ambiance was perfect from the staff to the room everything was there for the guests Wi-Fi was a bit a bit of a problem but over all the hotel was excellent

Can't think of a single thing.

Everything was excellent, but the breakfast was above & beyond. Best hotel I've stayed in for a long time, and I spend a third of the year in hotels. Babs, a waitress at breakfast made us feel very special. What an asset she is!

The heating was on when we got to our room - it was 20 degrees Celsius outside! There were a few small spots here and there where it could have been cleaner, and the shower didn't drain properly.

The staff were really nice and welcoming. Upon arriving at the hotel we were offered drinks and confectionary. The breakfast was excellent, really nice selection and the service was exemplary. The rooms are a really nice size and there are some nice little bonuses, like an ironing board.

Babs who is the waitress in the breakfast room is efficient, warm and delightful! How service should be. A beautiful peaceful location but just off the major road links i need fir a quick arrival and departure.

Drinks prices were a tad steep. A charity donation was automatically put into the bill, not a problem but would have preferred to have been asked first.

Everything about the hotel was fantastic, the staff couldn't do enough for us. We were allowed to check in early, they pushed our restaurant reservation through early, they were friendly asked how our day had been. Food was fantastic, the room was gorgeous with lots of little extras.

Nothing to do with the hotel itself but beware the mobile signal is very poor

Excellent staff both on reception and restaurant. Room (was upgraded to superior with air con) was very spacious, excellent nights sleep - no noise, bed very comfortable. A small but nice touch - The radio was playing Classic FM when I arrived in the room which added to the ambience Standard of food and service in the Brassiere was excellent.

Costs - restaurant, in room/room service items (central London hotels offer better value for money in my opinion). The quality of the coffee is also very poor.

staff were excellent, room was comfortable, location was very good, hotel was very clean.

Bar prices a little on the steep side.

The full English breakfast included in the price was amazing. Given a free upgrade on room for my anniversary. Overall great place with great staff and great food.

I booked based on the air conditioning and fitness centre unfortunately I only had a fan in my room and no air con so it was cooler outside than in my room. Also on the website (booking.com) there is no mention that the fitness centre is not on site but a drive away which was no us to me.

Friendly and courteous staff; pleasant & quiet location; very convenient for access to the A1; complimentary upgrade to a four poster bedroom. Not forgetting the wonderful Babs - our favourite waitress.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

The bed was very comfortable so a great nights sleep was had by both of us. The food in the restaurant/brassiere was really good and breakfast was equally impressive. We will stay there again and certainly recommend it.

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

Nothing .

Very peaceful and felt very rural despite being very close to major road networks. Lovely grounds. Very spacious bedrooms , very comfortable . Excellent breakfast. Friendly staff

• Deluxe Garden Double Room

Poor wifi signal in room & a few basic items we ordered to drink & eat were out of stock which suggests poor ordering management

Very nice room and delicious Sunday lunch - friendly waitress

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

• Deluxe Garden Double Room

This excellent hotel could only be improved with a spa.

The room was an upgraded room with extra large bed. Very large room overlooking the gardens. (Would have been glorious in decent weather. The Saturday night dinner was excellent although a little pricey. Not a morsel was left.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

The wi-fi in my bedroom was non-existent, but very good in public areas.

Ive stayed here twice for business, and it's quiet, just off the motorway, easy to find. The bedrooms are of a high standard, clean and quiet. Staff are always friendly, and Babs who serves breakfast is amazingly polite and smiley. Dinner is of a very good standard with plenty of choice, and decent portions. Would stay again.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

Lighting in rooms could have been better. Nowhere in the room near a mirror was the lighting sufficient to apply make-up other than the bathroom.

Location, staff, rooms clean, spacious with good fasilities. Food very good.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

The staff were really nice,especially at breakfast ,where the food was excellent.our room was very spacious .we attended a wedding here and had a great time

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

• Deluxe Garden Double Room

The everyday dining area is not a relaxing layout. Not a fan of long bench seats and being seated in rows. However food and service was excellent

Large comfortable rooms and great service

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

Restaurant a bit too formal for a single person and only a small choice of vegetarian options.

Room was so clean and extremely comfortable. I was given a free upgrade and it was lovely. The bed was huge!

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

The vegie option wasn't great. I had pasta with tomatoes. It was around £14 - but really wasn't special. I could have made it myself for £2. I had a similar dish earlier in the week in another hotel and it was gorgeous. So not a good level of parity when considering the price. that's all though. It was a very pleasant stay.

beautiful setting, very comfy rooms.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

I would have liked access to a computer

A really comfortable well appointed bedroom facility. I first had a meal here over 50 yrs ago with my parents. Great then and standards have been maintained!

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Mini bar prices in the room were very high. Discouraged us from even having a little treat.

A spotlessly clean room. Very friendly and efficient staff. Attention to detail was good. Breakfast was lovely, good selection and ample portions that were well cooked and well presented. Overall a great visit . We will be back

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

There was nothing that I didn't like.

I can't recommend the staff highly enough they were excellent. The room was clean comfortable and spacious but most of all quiet.

Our stay was incredibly noisy and when I complained all I got was an oh dear! Our air conditioning was unplugged at the Ceiling and we had to phone down for our breakfast as only half of it turned up!

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Poor wifi connection.

The hotel was newly refurbished and very clean. The rooms were a good size and the beds extra comfortable. Breakfast menu was plentiful with a great choice and the staff were attentive.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

• Deluxe Garden Double Room

We were there for my Daughters Wedding and pre night meal The food and staff are fantastic. The wedding breakfast was brilliant. The whole day could not have been better including the chap who ran the event in the day who could not do enough for my daughter An extra thanks as well to the wedding planner Fully recomend as a wedding venue

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

We were upgraded to a four poster room which was noisy and uncomfortable. We have stayed I a regular room in the annex before which was great

wondetful food I. The restaurant and very efficient caring friendly staff

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

The people working at the hotel did a lot to accommodate our needs. As guests of the hotel, my husband and I also wanted to host a formal dinner on the Friday night of our stay - to mark a sad occasion. Our smallish party kept expanding at short notice, but the staff were able to organise a wonderful table for all of us and everyone was very happy with the service and their meals. We hardly noticed the rather raucous wedding party going on in some other rooms.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

Pillows

Lovely clean rooms, breakfast very good service t breakfast excellent, stayed after nearby wedding so will go back to try restaurant for evening meal.

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

The eating arrangements and staff attitude to guests wanting to eat. Beware if you are a resident you will get no preferred status for eating!

Lovely setting and good quality hotel

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

Friendlier, more welcoming Brasserie staff. Better quality of Brasserie food. Sufficient toiletries for two people. We did not feel it was good value for money.

Breakfast choice was good

• Reviewed: 3 July 2016

Service a little slow in restaurant at both dinner and breakfast. Wifi a little unreliable.

Drink and canapés on checking in is a nice touch. Toiletries are good quality. Room amenities good and room of a good size with comfortable bed. Staff friendly and helpful. Food of good standard and excellent choice.

• Reviewed: 1 July 2016

Menu had disproportionately higher number of fish dishes. The shower dial for hot and cold was a bad design - those with dexterity problems don't ask for room 78.

The lift up to floor our annex room was on. The annex - recently built so nice and new (as of June 2016). We had front lawn view - very pretty. Loved the gardens and topiary with seating on lawn. Dinner was well prepared and staff v friendly.

• Reviewed: 22 June 2016

One minor point -No shaving mirror in bathroom

We stayed for a family wedding the food was excellent with very good service Rooms comfortable - everything spotless

I have stayed at this hotel a few times and the beds are really comfy and the rooms are always clean

Lots of lamps but no reading light by the bed.

Everything else super especially the staff.

Excellent service

The hotel is expensive for the level of accommodation and facilities.

The grounds were nice and staff friendly.

Large room in annex, excellent restaurant

Room was very cold.

It was very expensive and have stayed in hotels of the same standard for much less.

The rooms were very comfortable

A swimming pool.

The copious breakfasts. Very good coffee.

• Deluxe Garden Double Room

Bath was incredibly small to shower in considering such a large bathtoom

Dinner good and room comfy

No residents bar after closing time

Great sized rooms and great staff

Hill a little steep for me but manageable

The hotel made our stay very enjoyable

I loved the room. Clean. Well appointed. Comfortable

We enjoyed every minute of it

No piped music

Room upgrade helped! Delicious bacon and black pudding at breakfast.

Everything nice clean friendly hotel

Very good service and helpful.

Everything was superb from the food the service

Faster service for the meal in the bar.

Excellent bed, good quality sheets, very quiet location and an excellent breakfast.

excellent place the staff were just fantastic will recommend it to any one

• Deluxe Garden Double Room

Staff very proficient and helpful

Rooms are not particularly luxurious but adequate

The food is the best in the area by a mile

Staff. Service. Not polite.

Is it not convenient to go to other place. Have to by taxi. And the staffs are not professional at all!

The bed was extremely comfortable and the staff were very friendly