Reviews of White Horse Inn & Restaurant 4 stars

#1 of 1 hotels in Stoke Albany

9.7

9.7

• Double Room Ensuite

Pillows could have been slightly firmer ..but that’s a personal choice.

The chef’s biscuits left in your room on arrival are the best biscuits I’ve ever had. The staff and locals are really friendly. The room was lovely and the food in the evening and breakfast was superb.

• Double Room Ensuite

I do not like a soft bed.

I have stayed several times when attending conferences in Kettering for work. I choose the White Horse Inn because the food is great and I always feel safe and comfortable there when travelling alone.

• Double Room Ensuite

Nothing to dislike excellent in every way

Everything it’s a absolutely beautiful place to stay ,friendly staff ,very clean . They have thought of everything there’s everything you would require for your stay excellent through out

• Double Room Ensuite

For the price this was more than perfect. I would have been happy paying 50% more. The food in the restaurant was top quality, nothing bad to say about it. The included breakfast was exceptional. The staff were so helpful. What a great team!

• Double Room Ensuite

The variety of food was good , well presented and as I was unable to get breakfast one morning the staff made me up a breakfast pack ready for the following morning ,a very thoughtful geusture

• Double Room Ensuite

Huge and comfortable bed, little touches in the room like homemade biscuits, lap tray, takeaway coffee cups. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and both the breakfast and our evening meal was superb.

• Double Room Ensuite

From the minute we arrived the staff made us very welcome, even the locals drinking in the bar greeted us. We enjoyed the good selection of beers/spirits and wines. Our dinner and breakfast was excellent. The rooms were very clean, tidy and comfortable. This place exceeded our expectations.

• Double Room Ensuite

Bedrooms were a little dated room size ok but there is a lot of brown wood and dark carpet which makes the room look dark. Bathroom size ok but not the best. It is all spotlessly clean bedding and towels are lovely.

Food was of a very good quality...and breakfast was very good

• Double Room Ensuite

Stayed here for two nights during the "Beast from the East" snow. Due to other cancellations I was the only guest. Well looked after by the staff, room was clean and comfortable as usual and lovely and warm (-6C outside!).Two lovely meals in the bar by the roaring fire, good beer and a great breakfast to set me up for the long journey back to Leeds. Thank you

Nothing at all

Everything about the Inn was brilliant. Some very nice extra touches including a personalised "welcome note" and home made biscuits. The room was exceptionally clean and met our requirements to a tee. The food was delicious. What more can I say? :-)

• Double Room Ensuite

Just two constructive comments (but neither would stop me returning): the accommodation could do with a separate reception area for staying guests and at breakfast I was a little harshly (I thought) removed from my chosen table and ushered to the 'correct 'one even though there was no staff member to greet and seat me when I arrived. (The customer is always right even though you know he is wrong!)

Postcard picturesque location in lovely hamlet. The property had a thatched roof while the accommodation was fairly modern and built in tasteful keeping to the rear. Very friendly helpful welcome. Breakfast was excellent and the previous evening I enjoyed dinner in the restaurant. This was reasonably priced, extremely tasty and to my relief the portions were massive - non of that thimble of meat, two lettuce leaves and a drizzle of sauce here!

• Double Room Ensuite

I informed the staff at the beginnning of the meal that I am dairy intolerant. Unfortunately the food came with the dressing already on, which turned out to have dairy in it.

The attention to detail in the room was first rate. From the homemade chef biscuits to the personal letter giving details of the hotel. The food was very 'pub', though the restaurant was popular and busy. All the staff were extremely friendly and pleasant.

• Double Room Ensuite

The shower could do with updating

Room had every amenity and home baked shortbread. Food was very good and the pub is lovely. Staff can't do enough for you. This was my third stay and they didn't ket themselves down

• Double Room Ensuite

very comfortable plenty of coffee and tea ect in room and toiletries and the meals were next to none fantastic we hope to book this hotel again next year

• Double Room Ensuite

Sunday. Evening meal in sister pub 3miles away food was not hot enough.and seemed like ages before we were asked what we wanted. Although it was a really nice setting and resturant was spotless

Room was clean and comfy,staff were excellent on our arrival .good beer in the bar excellent breakfast and evening meal .Would recommend to friends and stay there again if in the area.

• Double Room Ensuite

My stay was too short but there was nothing about the accommodation and service I didn't like

The room facilities were excellent obviously a lot of thought had gone into the hospitality tray and other touches such as a desk fan. The staff were extremely helpful and when we mentioned to the waitress at breakfast that we were following a diet, she returned with some alternative suggestions from Chef on how the food was cooked. (i.e. scrambled eggs, cream replaced with milk)

• Double Room Ensuite

If I had to level a criticism, it would be about the fixed head shower - large shower head fixed in the middle of the shower above the occupant. Tends to drown short people like me ...

Had a two night stay here and ate in the restaurant both nights, the first night with friends joining us. Lovely selection of items on the menu, catering for carnivores, pescatarians and vegetarians alike (not sure about vegans), with items clearly marked for those avoiding gluten, etc. Food was excellent and the staff very helpful and friendly. The hotel facilities were excellent, with a lovely selection of toiletries in the ensuite, and everything one could need in the room.

• Double Room Ensuite

Lavatory flush a pain Shower was fine but needed a handrail and little shelf for toiletries in the cubicle

Comfy bed Plenty of electric sockets Good hanging wardrobe

almost nothing

Varied and original menu. Also appreciated the use of local artists work around the bar and restaurant. Local draught ales was a bonus as well!

• Double Room Ensuite

Excellent stay with very clean facilities. Good sized rooms with excellent food available and very friendly staff. Have already recommended to several friends and family members.

Having to leave!

An excellent Country Pub with a quality affordable restaurant. The rooms are well furnished with a care to detail for your travel needs. The tended flower beds are beautiful. The Staff are welcoming and I will be returning.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

• Double Room Ensuite

I couldn't get the bed-side lamps to work only to discover in the morning that there's a switch behind the curtain. Obviously! The plumbing is rather loud so you can hear your neighbours showering, which is annoying if they're an early riser.

Lovely room. Comfortable bed. Good wi-fi and TV/radio. Good shower. Lovely touch with the home made biscuits.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

• Double Room Ensuite

The pillows were a bit lumpy and maybe some hand rails outside the toilets as large step was hard to get up for disabled.

The little touches were fab homemade biscuits and cotton buds in the bathrooms.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

• Double Room Ensuite

Foods amazing a simple bacon sandwich with sides were amazing all food was quality

Food was amazing the staff restaurant bar and cleaning staff owners all lovely people made me feel welcome and comftable I was by myself but felt very at home so I would do it again

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

Everything fantansic. Nothing to say.

Everything was perfect, value for money. l would recommend to family and friends to visit it.Excellent staff very friendly perfect

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

The food in the bar / restaurant was rather disappointing, particularly considering how good the breakfast was. Not bad but not exceptional. No desk in the room for us sad workaholics but I managed to improvise with a bedside cabinet

Nice comfy room, very clean, very quiet. The pub is cosy and friendly. The breakfast was superb. All the staff very helpful and friendly. I would stay again.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

Every member of staff I was in contact with friendly and attentive to needs of the guests. There was an inconsistency with the menu in my room and the menu in the restaurant, which lead me to ask for a dish that wasn't on the menu. They went above and beyond to make the dish for me regardless! They made me feel like nothing was too much trouble for them. Can honestly say it was one of the best meals I'd had in a restaurant in a while, especially knowing they weren't prepared for someone to order it! Very impressive. The rooms had unique added extras that I have not found elsewhere on my travels before (the complimentary take away coffee cups were a particularly nice touch) All in all, everyone made me feel so welcome and the fire in the bar helped create a nice, super cosy atmosphere. Breakfast in the morning was delivered quickly and everyone was always smiling. Genuinely nice vibe at this hotel. Would recommend to anyone looking for a quiet but relaxing place to stay. Perfect for solo travellers like myself!

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

Nothing to complain about all smiles here.

The staff were so friendly and welcoming. The stay was brilliant from start to finsh right down to all the little touches in the room to the amazing breakfast and quick and easy payment.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

as above

The inn was very nice tge rooms where excellent we had a meat in the restaurant in the evening and we were both very sick in the night shame as the inn and staff are very nice

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

Maybe nice products and adjustable shower but that's just nit picking!

Everything was perfect, lovely fresh linen and towels, very comfortable bed! Lovely cookies baked by the chef! Had an excellent meal in the restaurant too. Couldn't fault it.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

Nice quiet location. Rooms away from main building so noise from premises. Good shower and comfy bed. Good selection of food from the dinner and breakfast menus.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

I liked everything! No faults

Clean, spacious and wonderfully decorated room. Helpful and super friendly staff who went out of their way to make sure my stay was comfortable and enjoyable. Amazing breakfasts!

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

nothing really the only slight issue was being asked to move to a table in the corner during breakfast. as I was sat at a table setup for two.

room was great, everything I could of asked for, for the price I paid. the staff were very good and welcoming Would highly recommend staying here its located in a little village so was very quiet with good access to main roads. Lots of options for breakfast, with plenty of cereals to suit all tastes as well as fresh fruit and a good choice of cooked dishes. They also had my favourite cooked breakfast kippers and poached eggs. all in all a truly great stay and will defiantly stay here again in the near future.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

Extremely helpful staff; very comfortable room; copious breakfast. I really appreciated the cookies available in the bedroom & baked by the chef!! A very nice gesture!

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

Although shampoo and conditioner supplied in the shower cubicle no shower wash and no shelf to put our own products on. Also rain fall shower which whilst looks good not very powerful and had to back into corner whilst washing hair as the shower head meant constant stream of water was rinsing my hair whilst I was trying to soap it up!

Very friendly staff. Excellent rooms spotless and some nice little extras like chefs handmade biscuits and take away cups with lids so you could take a drink on your journey. Lovely comfy king size beds. Had a meal in the restaurant it was delicious.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

Fix issues with finding location online. Clean gents toilet with bleach and use airfreshners. More training for resturant waiter and switch off fan outside room 4 at night 👍

Polite staff, good food and clean room

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

Nothing to complain about. We will come again.

Excellently run property. Rooms are quiet, clean and well fitted out. Food in restaurant is superb and the Breakfast is spot on. Bed is comfy and clean white linen. Good location for Foxton Locks and Rockingham Castle.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

Everything about this overnight stay was perfect - I will definitely go back when I can. The bed was perfect, the bathroom was gorgeous, and the food could not have been better. I was very sad not to be staying a second night.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

Though the rooms were nice, I would have liked more ventilation, a fan or something to move the air around. It can get a bit stuffy at night, and though opening the windows helped a little, circulation would have made it perfect.

The service was exceptional, from the moment we checked in to the morning we checked out. Everyone was very attentive, helpful, and friendly. Though the location was a bit remote, the ambiance of the country and small town made the drive to other locations we visited that much better.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

Only comment is wish shower had a little more water flow...

Excellent accommodation - had all amenities needed.. Food very good in relaxed surroundings and helpful attentive staff. Makes a nice change to find a good location when you are travelling a lot on business. will return again.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

Lovely clean room, well appointed bathroom and well stocked welcome tray with yummy home made biscuits. Breakfast choice was good and cooked to order. All good quality. We didn't eat any other meals as we went to wedding reception nearby.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

Can't think of anything.

It's always a pleasure to stay in the WHI. I stay there 2-3 times a year on a business trip I make to Leicester and will never change that. Good restaurant, friendly staff, friendly locals and a very comfortable room and bed.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

We got woken up at 1am due to other guests returning. The walls are quite thin and we could hear the telephone conversation of the man next door!

The extras in the room such as biscuits and bottles of water.

• Double Room Ensuite

Our room was comfy, spotlessly clean. All staff were courteous and welcoming. Extremely happy with everything.

• Double Room Ensuite

Great location, friendly and helpful staff. Room very comfortable. Excellent breakfast

• Double Room Ensuite

The mattress in room 5 was old/saggy/lumpy and uncomfortable. Not good for backs. I would definitely return but hope for new mattress!!

Bar seemed to close before 9.00pm

Excellent lunch and breakfast. Peaceful location.

• Double Room Ensuite

Price was at the top of what could be expected for what you got.

Converted stable block accommodation, well decorated and comfortable.

• Double Room Ensuite

Nice bedroom with comfy bed, big TV and good wifi. Tasty meal in the restaurant and a full English breakfast.

• Double Room Ensuite

Comfy bed. Lots of cosmetics. Great food. Lovely staff.

• Double Room Ensuite

The staff are really friendly and it is set in a quiet location

• Double Room Ensuite

Pub was shut the night we stayed ( Sunday)

• Double Room Ensuite

An absolute gem! Everything was perfect every need anticipated Would certainly stay againwhen in the area

• Double Room Ensuite

The hotel and restaurant were fantastic

• Double Room Ensuite

Good food, excellent breakfast & pleasant staff

Pillows uncomfortable.

Exceptional cleanliness of bedroom

Lovely breakfast. Plenty of options

• Double Room Ensuite

Everything was fine, apart from one day of rain

The cheerful and charming staff

• Double Room Ensuite

Good food, very friendly staff and most importantly a very comfortable room and bed.

Excellent restaurant

• Double Room Ensuite

The bedrooms were spacious and there was attention to detail. The food was excellent and the staff were great

Perfect.

Lots of space. Nice extras. Great food. Warm atmosphere.

• Double Room Ensuite

Staff went the extra mile for us!

Food was excellent

• Double Room Ensuite

Very clean, warm and staff were very helpful. Would definitely stay again and recommend to others

• Double Room Ensuite

First class staff especially the chap behind the bar . The room was excellent the food was amazing Will 110 per cent be booking again Gordon room 5

Very friendly

• Double Room Ensuite

Location not much in the are

Great staff

• Double Room Ensuite

lots of useful extras in the room, plenty of milks for the coffees etc. clean, comfortable, easy.

• Double Room Ensuite

Everything. Quiet, claen, satff great, food excellent. Fabulous place to stay

• Double Room Ensuite

A bit noisy as next to the laundry room

Excellent breakfast Staff were excellent

• Double Room Ensuite

Not the shower, but functional

Excellent food, friendly staff, fantastic stay overall

• Double Room Ensuite

Shower weak, locals using foul language in the bar around 1800 not at all welcome.

Great staff, great room, nice beer, good parking, good food.

• Double Room Ensuite

The room was well stocked with everything we needed and very clean

Browse White Horse Inn & Restaurant traveller photo gallery