2. UK hotel reviews
  5. Reviews of Willersley Castle Hotel

Reviews of Willersley Castle Hotel

Mill Lane, Cromford, Matlock, DE4 5JH, United Kingdom

#7 of 9 hotels in Matlock

Read more– opens a dialog box

• Reviewed: December 10, 2018

Castle in prime spot
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Entrance area tired,charity venue, needs refurb. BASIC ground floor lounges. Bed mattress needs changing( lumpy) or needs a thick topper for comfort.

Lovelly room,newly refurbished. Beautiful location close to pubs and restaurants for walking. Very good value and a good hearty breakfast.

• Reviewed: December 9, 2018

Very comfortable bed, excellent bathroom, breakfast was very...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The fresh coffee at breakfast could have been better, the cleaners could do with looking up when cleaning the bedroom, room 1 had a nice array of cobwebs round the ceiling light and the tops of the curtains

Very comfortable bed, excellent bathroom, breakfast was very good.

• Reviewed: December 6, 2018

So glad the room was in the main building, the location was wonderful.
    • Double or Twin Room

The view from the window! No Bar.

Room was satisfactory but poor view of rear of building. Bed was good and breakfast was good, staff good. Excellent idea to be able to take the river walk. The only thing missing was a bar!

• Reviewed: December 4, 2018

Wonderful

The fact I could only stay one night...

It was the best stay I’ve had in a long time - It was a wonderful location & I felt like I was in the Swiss Alps not Derbyshire!

• Reviewed: December 3, 2018

Beautiful location and adequate facilities in the news.

but we were a little disappointed with the customer care which was not consistent. A couple of staff members were really friendly and helpful but some were the opposite telling us the table tennis was in the library. There were no signs or obvious direction to the library which even after a second request for directions we were told the same thing. We still couldn’t find the library or a table tennis table except one in a store room, folded away, clearly NOT the library. We gave up and went back to our room as it seemed like to much to ask to remove all the chairs in the only room where the TT table could have been put up. We felt that staff should have shown us where this was rather then tell us it was round the corner and signs on doors would have been useful. We were in a standard room rather than superior and it was fine but it did mean we had to get coats on to go the swimming pool ( up the hill) or to breakfast ( down the hill) in the main building. The reception area was a little Amateurish and it felt more like a hostel than a hotel. Not particularly welcoming.

For the price the hotel was stunning - the breakfast was great and of good quality. The pool was nice not overcrowded and very clean. The grounds were beautiful and the short walk to the local village was great- lovely views.

• Reviewed: December 3, 2018

Good value, comfortable stay in breathtaking surroundings
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Hotel is ideal as a base to visit surrounding area if using car or happy to walk on a nice day. Purpose of our visit was to visit the Xmas market at Matlock and we had hoped to avoid taking the car but too far to walk in inclement weather. Evening meal is a 3 course dinner at a fixed time of 6.30 pm although a limited menu available in the lounge of you wanted more flexibility.

Hotel setting is beautiful. The staff were friendly, the room was spacious and modern and the hotel was spotlessly clean. Food very good too. Pool is a short walk from main hotel building and was an added bonus. A sauna would make it even better!

• Reviewed: December 3, 2018

Lovely building and location but needs work overall

Signage on site poor in a lot of places, i.e. out of hours notice of front door needs to say out of hours, external rooms in Mews not sign posted until you get there and way out not signed at all (same way you came in). Parking interesting in a larger car and limited places available. Rooms in Mews are not worth paying anywhere near hotel advertised rate (thankfully I didn't) and if you don't like a sweltering room (even with window open all day to 7 degrees outside), warn them when booking and take a spanner just in case! (Don't let them ask the chef to sort it...) Maintenance and refurb programme appears to need improvement.

Morning staff a great improvement - friendly and capable. Breakfast can be requested with pre-order for slightly earlier than standard 0800 start at weekends and is cooked well.

• Reviewed: December 2, 2018

The bed was comfortable and there was a reading light over...

Nothing that is of any issue other than I prefer to eat vegetarian if possible so a veg sausage at breakfast would have been a nice to have at breakfast.

The bed was comfortable and there was a reading light over the bed. Although the room was on the smallish side it was well equipped and had an ensuite. The Location was lovely with Cragg and river view. The swimming pool was a real bonus!

• Reviewed: December 2, 2018

Nice staff, good size room and lovely breakfast.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The 2 beds pushed together need new matresses as you constantly fall into the join or make it a proper double. The room was a great size but the tv is far too small for the room to watch in bed. Im Just picky really...

Nice staff, good size room and lovely breakfast.

• Reviewed: December 1, 2018

Thoroughly enjoyed it, will be back.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Evening meal plates could have been hotter (I eat quite slowly so hot plates are better for me). Pity that there isn't a bar, they do sell beers/wines etc, but a cosy little bar would be nice.

Excellent location, good parking, welcoming, friendly staff, lovely room, comfy and spacious, good en suite. Food spot on, breakfasts excellent, super building history, lovely grounds, easy walk to Cromford village. Swimming pool a real bonus. Will definitely return. Keep it up, all staff very pleasant and helpful. Thank you.

• Reviewed: December 1, 2018

Nice place - breakfast a chaotic shambles...

Breakfast chaotic - have only stayed here twice and both times there was no table set and no staff around. Last time it was 25 minutes before I was served. This time it was 20 minutes. Three sets of people arrived after me - still no cleared or set tables, so we all had to cobble together cutlery and crockery from other used tables. Eventually I was served toast but the other arrivals weren’t so I shared what toast I had with them. One mr er if staff came into dining room and completely ignored us all and ignored the dirty tables too. Really not impressed, especially as everything else was lovely.

Room was good - very nice facilities and a good sized room. Hotel is lovely - it is a castle after all!

• Reviewed: November 28, 2018

relaxing
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

the swimming pool is a bonus could do with a sauna walks are lovely and could do with more lightening on path up towards house its pretty dark at night bedrooms are nicely decorated and comfortable and very clean

• Reviewed: November 27, 2018

NO problems glad to go would go again.
    • Double or Twin Room

Nothing, I really like this hotel

Went for a weekend with wife. very good location food excellent. Will go again. Good standard of rooms with recent upgrades. Superior also available. Also arranged to meet friends there and see the area. Very good

• Reviewed: November 25, 2018

Outstanding, greatly exceeded my expectations, good value,...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Outstanding, greatly exceeded my expectations, good value, very large comfortable bedroom (superior room), exceedingly clean, friendly and helpful staff, beautiful large grounds with panoramic views, and just 20 minutes walk away are a couple of very friendly village pubs.

• Reviewed: November 21, 2018

Lovely location with entertainment thrown in

We did find the booking process a little bit muddled. I booked three rooms for four adults, which seemed easy enough during the booking process, but then there was some confusion afterwards with regard to the request for twin beds in the room for two. This could maybe be looked at? Eg, is the price given per adult or per room? One thing we would like to suggest is better lighting around the courtyard as one of our party was partially sighted, and was a bit unsteady in the courtyard pavements in the dark. Otherwise it was great.

The location was beautiful and close to Chatsworth. We visited the Christmas market there and the hotel was ideal. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was great. We had dinner and breakfast. The Mews was absolutely fine for us, despite some mixed reviews about it. The 40’s themed night was delightful and a real bonus. It made the stay special. We would all definitely book again.

• Reviewed: November 20, 2018

The staff were very friendly, the setting is amazing, the...
    • Double or Twin Room

The sound insulation between rooms in the Mews is not good, we were kept awake until midnight by 2 people talking in the next room. Our room was more like a single room even though it had a double bed, no space to stand either side of bed, had to move sideways.

The staff were very friendly, the setting is amazing, the pool is fantastic, the breakfast (apart from sausages) was perfect. It was lovely and warm in all the rooms. Our room was very clean and newly decorated but rather dated.

• Reviewed: November 20, 2018

Exceptional value for money paid

Seemed to have water problems in room. Shower not brilliant. Parking down a hill. If it had been raining I would have been drowned. They need to advise people parking is limited

Buffet Breakfast was kept very warm which is always difficult

• Reviewed: November 18, 2018

The room, the grounds, breakfast was very good.
    • Double or Twin Room

Room was dirty, carpet was worn,duvet had brown stuff on it, duvet cover had holes in it, bed was rock hard, it was cold at night, didn't feel very welcome when we checked in

The room, the grounds, breakfast was very good.

• Reviewed: November 17, 2018

Beautiful, characterful building in fabulous setting.
    • Double or Twin Room

It's difficult because it all comes down to taste. I personally didn't find the lack if 'normal' hotel amenities to my liking. Bar was tiny and not very welcoming..also dark and empty when i stayed. No menu for food either unless you had the full evening dinner. Nobody at reception during breakfast, so i just had to drop my keys behind the front desk.

Beautiful, characterful building in fabulous setting. Rooms were warm, clean and comfortable though not luxurious. Good value for money.

• Reviewed: November 12, 2018

Make this even more of a trip back in time by taking the train and getting off at Cromford.
    • Double or Twin Room

There was nothing I didn't like but my 19 year old son was annoyed with the lack of wifi

Absolutely stunning scenery and we really loved the old fashioned nature of the hotel.

• Reviewed: November 12, 2018

The stay was pleasant and the location was great, the hotel was lovely.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The beds were very uncomfortable and hard and creaked the headboards were very lose and banged against the wall. Whilst we stayed my partner had a bottle of larger and I had a glass of coke in the room, but despite the bed being made whilst we were out, the empty bottle and glass still remained in the room. The staff seemed very rushed during breakfast and couldn’t seem to keep up with things, as all juices ran out and the plates for the breakfast ran out also.

The hotel was lovely, the staff were friendly and the food was lovely 😊 lovely location

• Reviewed: November 12, 2018

On the whole it was great-thank-you!

I didn't find the receptionist especially friendly on arrival . I felt the main building castle inside didn't smell fresh. I thought the entrance/hall area on entering the Mews building could have been made to look more attractive (the table area). The piano could do with being replaced with a new one as it was pretty old and passed its time. (speaking as a Musician) I personally had no inclination to play it because of this. We had wanted to play table tennis but there was always someone else playing . My daughter disapproved of all the meat for breakfast -being a vegan which I also like to try to be although there were good other choices, I would have liked a gluten free muesli choice at breakfast . It would have been nice if a table had been ready and laid for us at breakfast . I would have appreciated soya milk in the bedroom and also a dairy free hot chocolate option . Green and Black's do one. (also at breakfast) A biscuit and gluten free biscuit selection would have been nice in our bedroom. I generally prefer to have a bath to a shower but there was only a shower (however my husband prefers the shower!) but it was a nice hot shower!

I liked the Mews rooms very much (nos 9- and 15 where our grown up daughter was)) -attractive with the beam and the flowery curtains. The Mews inside generally seemed fresh and newly painted. Was extremely peaceful regarding outdoors noise and it felt private not being overlooked at all. The shower was nice and hot. I loved the fact that there was a swimming pool available although I didn't actually take a swim. (good for another time?) All seemed warm and clean in our rooms. I liked the fact that my husband and I were given a key each to our room. The breakfast was very good. I was given gluten free toast on request and soya milk which I appreciated. The breakfast room was pleasant to sit in. My grown up daughter appreciated the piano and played it. The staff mostly were very polite and nice both at breakfast and at reception when we left in the morning. I enjoyed my decaffeinated coffee with soya milk.

• Reviewed: November 10, 2018

We had a room at the front of the hotel which had fabulous...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

We had a room at the front of the hotel which had fabulous views and was very large. Good facillities - table tennis, indoor pool and bar. The building is full of character and the accommodation gave good value for money especially as breakfast is included in the very reasonable price.

• Reviewed: November 10, 2018

Fabulous find - would stay again

Absolutely gorgeous location, and a beautiful hotel. Friendly and helpful staff. Swimming pool was a bonus. Excellent food and some lovely local beers.

• Reviewed: November 8, 2018

Historical Mansion
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Bed was rather hard. Reception area needs refurbishing.

Great location; impressive mansion; our ‘superior’ room in the main building had been recently modernised. Breakfast good.

• Reviewed: November 6, 2018

The area, the pool was really good and clean and we really...
    • Double or Twin Room

The bed was really hard and they're was little bits of mold dotted around the room and ensuite.

The area, the pool was really good and clean and we really enjoyed the breakfast and views.

• Reviewed: November 2, 2018

Great relaxing time.
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was a bit cold during the night.

The property is surrounded by beautiful nature and we have a lot of things to do nearby. The full English breakfast is very good and our room was very spacious. Staff was friendly and helpful. Swimming pool is a bonus.

• Reviewed: November 1, 2018

We loved Willersley. This was our 2nd visit and we plan to return!
    • Double or Twin Room

Maybe there could be a more efficient way of booking out.

The pool was a definite bonus. Our granddaughter loved it! Also log fire in the lounge made a cold night cosy.

• Reviewed: November 1, 2018

The chef (Adam)He was the only person that seemed to run...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Incompitant night staff on reception, room not what we'd requested (single beds in a small L shaped room were the beds where situated round the corner from each other. Having waited nearly two hours for our room we then discover that it had no bath and we'd requested one. The following morning the waitress said she'd set us up a table for breakfast. Once we sat down,we had to call her over because it was dirty and she'd left used cutlery next to our clean ones. Consequently we won't be stopping ever again,which is a shame because the ground and the outside of the building was beautiful.

The chef (Adam)He was the only person that seemed to run around like a headless chicken. He gave us complimentary drinks and cake whilst trying to sort out our room as well as serving in the restaurant. Without that young man,we would have walked out in disgust. Thank you Adam you need a pay rise.

• Reviewed: November 1, 2018

The location was beautiful , the swimming pool was great.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Property desperately in need of refurbishment. Decor very old and dowdy. Could hear people in their bathroom through wall announcing they had no toilet roll. No headboard on our bed and could see gaps in window frames which had been filled with newspaper- a long time ago - to try to keep draught out. Terrible music being played over PA on arrival on the Sunday afternoon - very off putting.

The location was beautiful , the swimming pool was great. The staff were nice

• Reviewed: November 1, 2018

Scenic, beautiful, comfy, exciting stay with lovely staff!
    • Double or Twin Room

I couldn't think of anything that could have been better.

I had done a half marathon that morning and had asked for slightly earlier check in which was granted. Whilst we waited 5 minutes after checking in, the receptionist sent of for a pot of tea for us while we waited and because I had come from a 13.1 mile run. That was greatly appreciated! The room was so comfy and the area was beautiful. There was a super pool and a cute pitch and put game. There were different walks nearby and we enjoyed a 20-25 minute walk to Matlock Bath, where the hotel had advised us there was lots going on including a firework show. The breakfast was delicious and every staff member we encountered was incredibly helpful, cheery and it made all the difference to us. Strongly recommend this place!

• Reviewed: October 31, 2018

Was ok
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The beds were very uncomfortable, to small, the radiators made a loud noise when came on.

I liked the bathroom and how clean it was, also loved walking around the castle. The breakfast was lush

• Reviewed: October 29, 2018

A quirky hotel in a great location.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Slightly faded glory (maybe part of the charm too) with some of the décor looking tired.

Amazing building with great views (from bedrooms at the front). Lovely swimming pool.

• Reviewed: October 28, 2018

Swimming pool was a great bonus: clean, warm, beautiful...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Our bathroom was very cold and dirty. Disgusting smell from the toilet was unacceptable. We know it's very old dated building but some improvement should be done at least the cleaning standard.

Swimming pool was a great bonus: clean, warm, beautiful view from it. Scenery and view from our room window - priceless. Room size, upgraded for free to family room. Very good breakfast.

Breathe taking magical!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Mattress very firm and a small double for a tall couple

You can not compare this to any other hotel it was beautiful stunning magical! We will be back, slight areas of repair going on was good to see, maintaining the age. The staff could not do enough for you

value for money
    • Double or Twin Room

The stairs etc were being painted at the time so we had to be really careful not to get paint on us. I think these rooms shouldn't have been allocated for the few days.

The location was great for lots of places. The room was clean although very dated.

• Reviewed: October 27, 2018

We have stayed often but this time the breakfast was not as...
    • Double or Twin Room

We have stayed often but this time the breakfast was not as good. No oats and coffee needed to be requested which arrived after we had eaten. I hope this was an issue on the day not the way things are conducted onwards. The food drink presentation was not to last years standards. I hope this feedback helps.

• Reviewed: October 26, 2018

I liked the staff.

Some parts of the hotel need some upgrading. Looks a bit out dated. Especially communal areas.

I liked the staff. They do their best with what they have. Polite, friendly and prompt. Also I loved the surrounding areas. Beautiful and picturesque.

• Reviewed: October 25, 2018

Glad we were there only 1 night
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Hard mattress , no nice view & room looked like a disability room with lots of grab rails 1 tiny piece of toast with the pate .. 1 slice of beef per person & had to share 5 potatoes between two .. plates were hot but food wasn’t piping hot .. Bakewell tart & custard barely warm, slow service as only 1 waiter serving our room of 8 tables . . breakfast was ok but food wasnt filled up quick enough so you were waiting for it , had to ask 3 times for coffee .. ceiling panel in ladies toilet smashed all over the floor .. floor was also covered in water , staff weren’t quick enough to clear this up & somebody could easily have slipped & fell over

the Views outside

• Reviewed: October 23, 2018

Value for money if you don't need a swimming pool and WiFi...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Swimming pool is away from the hotel and located up on the hill! WiFi is only available in Lobby area with no connectivity in the room! Toilet shower was either super hot or cold, no balancing.

The location is absolutely gorgeous.

• Reviewed: October 22, 2018

We had a lovely weekend.
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was really nice, we upgraded from the Mews to room in main castle. Staff were all really nice,friendly and very helpful.the location is great.

• Reviewed: October 21, 2018

Welcomes and walks at Willersley
    • Double or Twin Room

We found the mattresses a little too firm.

Beautiful building with extensive grounds and fabulous views. Easy walk into both Cromford and Matlock Bath. Welcoming and efficient staff. Spacious room in Mews with good facilities. Tasty breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner. Lovely swimming pool.

• Reviewed: October 20, 2018

Quirky!
    • Double or Twin Room

Badly in need of a refurbishment. No lounge bar. Hilly cliimb to the rooms in the mews. Steep incline to the pool. Parking facilities poor.

Scenic location. Staff were very friendly. The swimming pool was lovely, water a decent temperature. Food basic but adequate.

• Reviewed: October 19, 2018

great location, lovely views
    • Double or Twin Room

The room we stayed in had a fire exit door which meant a green light on in the room at all times which wasn’t great. 2 bedside tables but only 1 lamp which didn’t work, made reception aware of this and they said they’d get it fixed but didn’t. Went down for breakfast at the end of service on our first morning and although i appreciate that means the selection would be limited i didn’t expect it to mean cold porridge and lukewarm coffee

great location, lovely views

• Reviewed: October 19, 2018

Beautiful Castle and grounds but disappointing stay to say the least
    • Double or Twin Room

Accommodation. Booked a standard room but was not advised at the time of booking that this room is not actually in the castle at all!!! Was put in ‘The Mews’ instead. Basically an out building within the castle grounds. Entrance halls dirty and tired. Bed uncomfortable and creaked constantly. Bathroom like a hospital with a pathetic shower, shower door didn’t even shut properly. Was also put in a different room within ‘The Mews’ than originally arranged due to someone else wanting a 2 night break. Felt like we were shoved in a ‘poor man’ quarters!! Thankfully only stayed the one night.

Location and stunning grounds of the castle, very peaceful and close to Matlock Bath. Staff very friendly.

• Reviewed: October 18, 2018

The Hotel was satisfactory if not a Little run down
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Was not impressed when I drive upto a Hotel that is within its grounds that the staff or Guests are standing out front Drinking cider and smoking dope .

Loved the Location and Settings

• Reviewed: October 17, 2018

Beautiful countryside but the hotel itself is a little tired.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The staff were friendly and the hotel was very busy. Although we booked for a couple sharing, we were only given one bath towel and one hand towel between us and one set of toiletries. The room was a little tired and consequently was not as clean as you could expect. There was a fire exit in our room and the green exit light shone all through the night, keeping us awake. I have brought these matters to the attention of the hotel but have received no response.

The hotel is in a beautiful setting with amazing views.

• Reviewed: October 17, 2018

The welcome was friendly.
    • Double or Twin Room

The room allocated was in "The Mews", which is a significant distance up a steep hill from t main building.

The welcome was friendly. The room was standard; clean, en-suite and a comfortable bed. The swimming pool, which was another walk up the hill was basic, but warm. The breakfast was good, with a useful choice of food.

• Reviewed: October 17, 2018

Relaxing and quiet on the doorstep of Cromford Arkwrights town three pubs anf facilities
    • Double or Twin Room

No views If we were lucky enough perhaps to stay in the Castle chance of from scenic views?

We stayed twice now in the Mews you have to walk from the reception outside and up quite a steep hill we up stairs good warm room nice T V tea making facility's firm single beds double wardrobe , shower in large bathroom Plus use of the pool including towels .

• Reviewed: October 16, 2018

Read this review - massive disappointment!
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Booked to stay at Willersley castle hotel over night for a special treat for my sister and niece. After making my reservation via booking.com, I then got a message from the administration staff at the hotel to say a superior room was not available and that they only had a room available in the mews (annex to willersley castle hotel) to much disappointment I agreed to stay in the annex which proved to be a complete and utter nightmare. Firstly when I made the booking I stated that we had a young child, the annex did not have a lift and we were booked on the top floor in the annex in the very end room. We noticed members of staff were using a golf buggy to go up and down the hilly roads one of which we had to walk up to the annex with 2 suitcases, bags and a pushchair. We were not offered a golf buggy despite the weather being absolutely terrible. We managed to interrupt a member of staff while lugging all of our belongings up the steep hill to the annex. He very kindly took us up to the room, his name was Sergio and he was the only decent hardworking and helpful member of staff the Willersley Castle hotel. He took us up to our room and even carried our luggage up the stairs. When we arrived at the room (Mews room number 10) we were not overly impressed with what we saw. The room was very outdated and had a stench to it. Although, they had kindly set up the travel cot for the toddler and all the sheets were clean. We decided to take a walk up to the pool which was up another hilly road. A member of management zoomed past us on the golf buggy and could see that we were struggling, especially with the road being wet and pushing the pushchair but didn’t offer us any help getting up there. We thought this was extremely rude. We decided to have a meal in the castle, the waiting staff including Sergio were very helpful and attentive. There was very little choice on the menu. The bed in our room was rock hard, we had a very uncomfortable nights sleep. Breakfast was ok.

• Reviewed: October 16, 2018

Very relaxing

No bar as such.

Lovely room in the annex was immaculate and warm,tastefully decorated the meals were excellent and the staff are very friendly but leave you alone to enjoy the peace. The building and gardens are beautiful and views stunning. We're going again soon 😃

• Reviewed: October 9, 2018

Staff very good, excellent breakfast, room clean and bed...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Says in promo wi-fi in hotel but cannot get it in bedrooms, downstairs only, bit naughty advertising it as all hotel.

Staff very good, excellent breakfast, room clean and bed comfortable.

• Reviewed: October 8, 2018

Break at willersley castle
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Very small lift for wheelchair but managed.

Lovely breakfast. Plenty of choice. Friendly polite helpful staff. Clean. Comfy bed. Great disabled bathroom in our room. Loads of tea, coffee etc in bedroom. Stunning grounds.

• Reviewed: October 8, 2018

A great building, a great location, a bit run down but good value for money

The overall decor was very dated and the whole place had an 'institutional whiff' about it. On my visit they were redecorating the main entrance so, there may be a refurbishment programme underway. There is no bar but you can have drinks served to the 'lounge'.

The exterior of the building and its location in a gorge on the River Derwent are exceptional. The staff are friendly and efficient. My room was clean and tidy and had clearly been decorated quite recently. The electrical socket by the bed had two usb charging ports - a nice touch. This is a 'Christian Guild' hotel but there was nothing 'in-your-face'.

• Reviewed: October 7, 2018

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and found it very central for so many interesting places.
    • Double or Twin Room

More staff at breakfast would have helped when busy. Not having Wifi in the room, and why didn't you advertise Comford Mill? we almost missed it and its significant to the hotel.

The hotel was in a beautiful location, rooms comfortable, food good, and swimming pool a great addition

Fantastic place to stay
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

We booked the set dinner and I was a little disappointed with the quality - not like other hotels in group.

fantastic value for money and great stay in a castle wow

• Reviewed: October 6, 2018

Original, not your average hotel, definitely not a premier inn
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Cleaning of rooms not of a good standard. Toilet had very obviously not been cleaned when arrived & had to clean myself. Daily cleaning also very cursory. Double bed was just that & not big enough when used to a king size! Did move us with no fuss to a twin. Breakfast could have been more organised

Building & extensive grounds had lots of character. In an excellent position for many tourists spots in Derbyshire. Meals &drinks served in the lounge saved us going out to find food. WiFi only available in common areas such as the lounge made people come out of rooms

• Reviewed: October 6, 2018

Great value and charming hotel.

The mews rooms were a bit dated but that was reflected in the price which was great value for money..

Beautiful old mansion house set in fantastic grounds.

• Reviewed: October 6, 2018

Great place to relax and unwind

The only thing I would change is the length of my booking - wished I could have stayed longer!

Luxury for me is a room with a bath and that is what my single room had plus a comfy bed. There is a peaceful atmosphere about the hotel and the staff are always so friendly and accommodating. A great place to unwind and relax. Breakfast was wonderful.

A Fantastic bargain in the Peak District

Willersley Castle is in a beautiful location, with stunning views of the surrounding countryside. It really is like staying in a castle. The furnishings are slightly threadbare, but this adds to the charm! I stayed in a single room in the mews next to the main building, which were a delight. The breakfast was plentiful and tasty. At £28 for the night, It was a fantastic bargain

The excellent location.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Some areas looking a bit tired. Two night stay, two different breakfast experiences. Staff great day 1. Day 2 , although polite to customer one was so focussed on moving crockery , a customer was nearly knocked over. similar happened in the hallway when same staff member walked into customer. Food kept running out for breakfast so customers needed to be quick or make do with just cereal & pale toast. The room quite warm- however ok with window open. The toilet flush not very efficient

The excellent location. The breakfast was lovely Evening meal good value. All areas clean & tidy. Knowledgable & friendly staff. Plenty of car parking

• Reviewed: October 5, 2018

Location was perfect room was basic but clean plenty of tea...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was disappointing surpposingly served 8 till 10 arrived at 9.30 and hardly anything left and the wait seemed endless the result was eating breakfast separately !

Location was perfect room was basic but clean plenty of tea / coffee (no milk) but was happy to give us some from reception. Young lady on reception when we checked in was very friendly and happy to answer our questions.

Beautiful peaceful views
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Lovely location, beautiful views and quiet. Lovely staff, clean and spacious rooms. Good breakfast. We had a twin room and I am a seasoned traveller, but we found the beds very hard ( otherwise we would have stayed a second night).

• Reviewed: October 4, 2018

Lovely place to stay with amazing views
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff were so friendly - probably the nicest reception staff we have come across. The breakfast was really nice, quality food and self service. The grounds and the scenery all around was spectacular. A brilliant stay and we will visit again.

• Reviewed: October 4, 2018

Blissful and still can't believe the pool and breakfast was included in the price.

I found the breakfast finish time of 09:00 to be a little too early for me. However have noted it is until 10:00 at the weekends

Everything. Staff , location , the beautiful setting of the pool, my lovely refurbished room and the breakfast was amazing. Cannot believe I only paid £31 pound for this getaway! I'm definitely going to be visting monthly for a rest and to enjoy the view of the different seasons 🙂

• Reviewed: October 2, 2018

We would definitely stay there again.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Instructions on how to operate rather dated shower would have been helpful. Had to go Down to reception to ask for help which did come immediately so appreciated that .

Good location. Lovely view and grounds. Friendly and helpful staff. Pretty room and a surprisingly good size.

• Reviewed: October 1, 2018

A very comfortable stay in a beautiful location, worth going again but maybe skip breakfast.

Staffing was a bit short during breakfast. The two people on duty were trying their best but they could have done with another person to help clear up tables and ensure the food/crockery was kept stocked up. It wasn't clear that we would be asked about coffee/toast. The room was also very warm - it was quiet enough to keep the window open all night but there was no other way to control the temperature.

For a single traveller the room was an ideal size. There was plenty of space for clothes and an en-suite bathroom in which everything worked well. Access to the mews area was easy. I especially liked the lamp! There was plenty of parking and the whole place had a nice feel to it. It was very quiet at night and there were some amazing views from the drive way. I would definitely return here.

• Reviewed: October 1, 2018

Fantastic location and great pool.

Rooms alittle dated and worn but of a reasonable standard considering the price I paid.

The room was simple and a little dated but comfortable, warm and the staff were very welcoming and pleasant. Breakfast was great but service was slow on Sunday morning and by 9am some of the breakfast wasn't available on the heaters. Excellent value for money. Pool is modern and clean. Complementary toiletries, tea/coffee and towels at the pool. Overall a great stay and i would definatly return.

• Reviewed: October 1, 2018

The staff went out of there way to make my wifes birthday...
    • Double or Twin Room

The staff went out of there way to make my wifes birthday that extra bit special, views are spectacular the rooms are lovely and hospitality impeccable will definately be going there again and a special mention to dawn for looking after us.

Wonderful
    • Double or Twin Room

Excellent value for money. Stayed in the mews and it was very quiet with comfortable beds and a big bathroom. It's a lovely walk through the woods behind the castle or along the river. The risotto was delicious and they were very accomadating to the gluten free diet. The staff were amazing; they were chatty and helped us find a local walk

Dream accommodation
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The drive to the castle was not lit so when returning on an evening could not see but we used phone light.

It was so beautiful, disabled entrance with lift for pushchairs, games and jigsaws available, pool, nice breakfast, right near park and ride for Matlock which was great to use as we went for the illuminations, parking right outside castle, great views, could walk into Cromford and Masson mill with kids play area, canal walk and mills close by. Rooms with great features and high ceilings, warm on a night, tea and coffee and hot chocolate in room all for a great price. Helpful staff, would definitely go back!

Stunning building and grounds
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The lift was very unreliable. Got in to go to the second floor and the door kept re-opening so got out and pressed floor 2 as I was getting out to test it and waited to see if it went up. Pressed the button to call the lift and the door opened right away. Might need a good service?

The property is a stunning castle set in picturesque grounds with views for miles. It was quiet and peaceful

• Reviewed: September 30, 2018

Loved the grounds, they are so beautiful.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The room needed a good clean, whilst I understand it is an old building cleanliness is still important. Wallpaper was peeling off, walls were grubby, and there were ladybirds nesting in the windowsill. Breakfast was not great, we couldn’t find anywhere to sit so we sat with another couple (as encouraged to in the welcome pack) we were made to feel uncomfortable. The bacon was chewy,no plates or cutlery. When we asked the staff member he was unhelpful. We had a superior room, I wouldn’t pay the extra for this. Didn’t realise it was Christian Guild, I would have thought twice about booking it.

Loved the grounds, they are so beautiful. Reception Staff were very helpful and the bed was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: September 29, 2018

Will unfortunately not be returning
    • Double or Twin Room

The bedding qas very thin and cheap. The kettle was a complete hazard to use. We had very inconsistant hot water in the evening and none in the morning. The room and entrace to the mews were very grubby and run down.

The location was great and the local area is lovely. The staff were friendly.

• Reviewed: September 28, 2018

Extremely disappointing
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was dreadful, porridge cold and concrete,everything ran out, table did not have cutlery/crockery, no tea coffee or hot water, no staff, only 2 slices of plastic white bread toast, cereals were stale and soft. If I had not paid up front I would not have paid the price they were asking. I have emailed the hotel, not even a curtesy email in reply, my next step is a bad review on trip advisor.

The scenery