Reviews of Ye Olde Fighting Cocks 4 stars

The Promenade, Arnside, LA5 0HD, United Kingdom

#2 of 3 hotels in Arnside

• Classic Double Room

Fantastic place. Wish I could remember the owners name as he and all of the staff were friendly and informative...especially helpful with the train times.

Damage to bedroom furniture. Just let it down a little. Stayed in Promenade room. Otherwise everything else good.

Friendly staff Clean Rooms Great full English breakfast (was plenty of other options) Great location Good value for money

• Cosy Single Room with Private External Bathroom

The staff were incredibly kind and helpful, nice decor, comfy bed, good food (the chicken caesar salad was delicious)...and incredible value as I had a cosy little single, thanks to all the staff :)

• Classic Double Room

Very Clean, friendly staff , good food. We had a family room so plenty of space. Nice to have dressing gowns for those moments when you want to totally relax. We have been to Arnside before and eaten in the restaurant so it was nice to also stay this time.

• Deluxe Double Room with Estuary View

Certain areas of the property do look a bit dated but the worst part is the electric shower. They make alot of noise and you can hear your neighbours showing at all times of the night and first thing in the morning, keeping you awake, not good.

It was very clean, food was good, staff are friendly, breakfast was great and of course it's a beautiful setting.

• Deluxe Double Room with Estuary View

The room was big being a family room but the view is obscured on the ground floor by the opaque glass (for privacy) and car park. As a couple we would have preferred the deluxe room with estuary view that we booked.

Good location overlooking the estuary and near to train station which gave easy access to Grange Over Sands & Cartmel etc

• Classic Double Room

Too many stairs particularly as I had requested preference for room with not too many stairs. Maybe reflected fact that I had a good deal with a Booking.com Genius deal!

Staff helpful.

• Classic Double Room

I am a coffee junkie so more coffee and stuff would have been good. 😜 Apart from that was all good!!

Bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was brilliant! Staff very friendly. Didn't have an evening meal but great deals every night!! Complimentary shower gel/shampoo. Bath robes too!!!!

• Deluxe Double Room with Estuary View

No issues, everything was lovely!

The room with the estuary view was gorgeous, very clean, modern furnishings and facilities along with being in a great location. Very friendly staff and affordable food and beverages - just perfect for a romantic getaway!

• Classic Double Room

The staff aren't attentive enough... having to stand and wait to be checked in even though there were 2 staff members free. Then also having to wait at the bar because the staff are too busy talking to each other rather than keeping an eye out for customers. Also having to ask for menus and wait at bar to order food etc... it's all these little things that actually matter and do make a difference. It's a shame because it has potential to be an amazing place... there were 2 staff members who were lovely and very smiley but the rest looked like they'd rather be somewhere else and that customers were an inconvenience!

Lovely location right on the sea front. Lovely beer garden and nice inside too. The rooms are clean and nice (although the shower was like a drip!).

• Disability access Suite - Wet Room

See above.

Very comfortable and pleasant stay. The only criticism is that in our room (Cartmel, in the outside annex) youcould clearly hear people walking around in the room above. Fortunately, they went to bed at a reasonable time.

• Classic Double Room

Very friendly and attentive staff and Tony was very helpful with my many possible changes and other requests. Great food and excellent location, most if not all rooms have a great view over the estuary, rooms very comfortable with all you need and is close to train station for access into Cartmel and other areas, lovely scenic ride and good walks around the area. Wouldnt hesitate to stay here again (pics attached, sorry i didn't re-make the bed though before i took it)

• Classic Double Room

Having to pay the extra £15.00 for my dog when I thought it had already been paid on booking, again booking.com fault not the hotel. Water went off the second night but fixed after a couple of hours

Although there was a mix up (booking.com’s fault) with the booking for my dog the room was very dog friendly. The manager sorted it out quickly but only because the room was available. If it was high season we would have been stuck

• Luxury Suite with Estuary View

This was our first time travelling with our 3 month old baby. The facilities, room, staff and surrounding beaches/walks were outstanding and made it such an amazing first trip away for my little family.

• Club King or Twin Room with Estuary View

The bed was a little uncomfortable and leaned backwards meaning I had to turn around to sleep.

Location, people, price, food. Very impressed and would definitely stay again!

• Cosy Single Room with Private External Bathroom

There's nothing to dislike for the price I paid

Double room was relatively small but extremely clean and comfortable. Lovely hot powerful shower after a day travelling. Lovely location and good value . I would recommend.

• Classic Double Room

Small room. No fridge. Bad smell on the corridor. Very cold in the room. Few channels on tv. Not too many dishes to choose from in the restaurant.

Comfortable bed. Clean room.

• Classic Double Room

The fact we were on the top floor considering my 92 year old husband had all those stairs to climb but to be fair, you were not to know. I know a lift would take up a lof of space.

The bed was extremely comfortable ! The room was comfy.

• Deluxe Double Room with Estuary View

The shower unit was a little and the doors in the corridor / going to other rooms in the barn slam when people came in late

The rooms were decorated beautifully, clean and comfy. Very helpful and Friendly staff

• Club King or Twin Room with Estuary View

Some fresh fruit for breakfast

We had the Estuary room, and the views were stunning - we sat and watched the sunset over the sea. Excellent location for birdwatching - spent several hours at Leighton Moss RSPB reserve and climbed Arnside Knot.

• Deluxe Double Room with Estuary View

There was nothing to not like.

The location was excellent, overlooking the River Kent estuary and with superb views of the Lake District hills. The food was great value for money, well cooked and presented, with an extensive menu. We were in a modern extension behind the Inn, but elevated so we still had a great view from the room. The room itself was large, very comfortable and modern. The bathroom had a smart walk- in power shower and like the rest of the room was spotless. The bar had a great range of beers at very reasonable prices and the elevated beer garden/terrace capped things off. A great overnight stay- thanks.

• Classic Double Room

The bed was distinctly uncomfortable. There was a fight in the bar just before midnight when we had gone to bed. The landlord was not particularly welcoming

View of the beach. The girl who served us in the bar.

• Classic Double Room

Leaking water on floor in bathroom not dealt with by staff we were given a towel to put over the leak and that was all. So by the morning it was saturated and coming in to the bedroom. Shower didn't work. So no shower.

• Classic Double Room

noise levels high in building one night

Efficient charming staff, good view, good food, very comfortable . Fortunatel we knewthe place otherwise we woud not have recognised it fro Booking. com's description

• Premier Triple Room

We were a little disappointed that there was no entertainment as there wasn’t anything to do in the area at the evening

The staff were very welcoming and friendly.

• Classic Double Room

Nothing we loved the stay.

The accommodation was superb. Manager and staff extremely helpful. Would definitely recommend it and will be booking it ourselves another time. Steve.

• Cosy Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Unfortunately we were unable to order any food as we arrived (on bikes) at around 7 pm and would have needed to eat before 7:45. There local shop and chip shop were also closed so we went a bit hungry for the night. To be fair the hotel had emailed us the day before we arrived to advise that we book a table if we wanted to eat. However we didn't do this as we weren't sure what time we would be arriving.

Very friendly staff and there was generally a warm and relaxed atmosphere with a warm welcome

• Classic Double Room

The only drawbacks was the bathroom was badly planned with the toilet positioned right on top of the heated towel rail, and I found the room was too cold, and no means to heat it.

Lovely pub, and good food. The room was beautifully decorated to a high standard.

• Classic Double Room

Small room with not many places to put anything. Big old fashioned wardrobe and bedside drawers that didn’t open properly and too small to store anything in. The hot water was a brown colour on the 2nd day of our stay. I wouldn’t like to think I’d paid full price for this room.

The best thing about the room was the view, also the bed was comfortable.

• Classic Double Room

Like others, I thought breakfast was included and when I asked for it to be added, the response was less than positive and as though I was being an inconvenience

Great views and the room was comfy and clean

• Classic Double Room

I’ve got a fractured spine the owners are so lovely beautiful location gorgeous home cooked food it’s a little gem of a place looking forward to going back

• Classic Double Room

Breakfast available until later in the morning

There was an initial mix up with the room as it wasn’t clear on booking.com that we had ordered a non pet room, but when we turned up with our dog the staff were accomodating and switched us to a dog room hassle free. Great views from the hotel, and it has been newly redecorated!

• Premier Triple Room

Found the beds were a bit uncomfortable. The mattress felt a bit cheap and this is a shame as the rest of the room was lovely. Breakfast did not start until 8.30am which if you are wanting to get off for the day is a bit late.

The room was spacious and the bathroom had lots of space. We ate in the restaurant and the food was very good, everyone enjoyed their meal. There was live music on in the bar but the accommodation is away from the pub so we were not disturbed. Would definitely visit this hotel again. There are some nice shops in the area.

• Deluxe Double Room with Estuary View

Bar food okay but menu a bit restrictive. Breakfast poor, hard rasher of bacon and tinned fruit. Televisions in bar not shown on blurb. Back of bathroom door and tiles behind the door dirty.

The view from the bedroom and the room was very nice. The staff were pleasant.

• Deluxe Double Room with Estuary View

The only breakfast on offer was a full English or part there of, queuing to make your own toast, having to ask on two occasions for toiletries to be refurbished in the bathroom. The view of the estuary from our deluxe bedroom was dismal and could only be viewed by standing up by the entrance and looking over the frosted glass, very dissapointing

The breakfast was very well cooked

• Club King or Twin Room with Estuary View

Staff unhelpful, breakfast staff dictatorial as to where we had to sit Dirty and dated room above a loud bar with football constantly on bathroom had no heating so very cold corridors and communal areas dirty and cluttered with trip hazards on stairs 1st floor fire escape partially blocked by random furniture breakfast hardly worth the effort

• Cosy Single Room with Private External Bathroom

The food. Typical microwave, deep fried pub food. Big menu but nothing fresh. My burgers were microwaved so long I had trouble cutting them. When asked if I liked my meal ( i left half of it) I responded no, if I hadn't been hungry I would of left it. I got no response back. But food apart, the bar is nice. Big screen, pleasant music and a view of sheer beauty.

Nice pub/hotel. Beautiful location. Would stay there again.

• Deluxe Double Room with Estuary View

No wi fi in rooms. Breakfast area was still showing signs of not being cleaned from the night before. Could have been cleaner.

All staff were very pleasant and helpful.

• Deluxe Double Room with Estuary View

At breakfast my wife asked for no black pudding please, to which the young female waitress said “it comes with it!”. Five minutes latter she delivered cooked breakfasts to the table behind us and said which one of you didn’t want black pudding, the female guest indicated it was her. Seems like females don’t like congealed pigs blood! I tried to understand why my wife was treated differently to the other guest and the only reason I can think of is that the waitress thought my wife was asking for ‘black pudding’, but it was clear to me that this wasn’t the case!

Guy that checked us in was very helpful and friendly. The hotel was easy to find and Arnside is a nice place.

• Deluxe Double Room with Estuary View

Very thin walls between rooms I could hear perfectly TV on one side while following the couple conversation on the other side. I was overcharged for breakfast, pointed it out, the bill was recalculated, overcharged again. Eventually, handed back some change as if I was given charity. Theatrical but seriously unpleasant.

I liked the view from the room. The room was small but functional.

Rooms were very clean and comfortable. All facilities were there including iron/ironing board, hairdryer and tea/coffee. We were lucky enough to be in a front room overlooking the estuary which was a lovely view. Staff were polite and friendly and food was gorgeous. Dog friendly too which is even better for anyone traveling with their dogs.

• Club King or Twin Room with Estuary View

there was loud music from the bar area that could be heard throughout the pub which made sleeping very difficult until quite late

the location was excellent, the food was very good and plenty of it and the staff were very helpful

• Club King or Twin Room with Estuary View

Our neighbours decided to smoke weed. Reported this to the manager and was given an air fresher - not really solving the issue! In the evenings the pub has good events on however, you struggle to get to the bar at times due to the staff who have clocked off - all sat round the bar. Milk the off on our second mornings breakfast but they changed it.

Beds and pillows were comfy, room was modern and clean.

Everthing

Actually my room got dammaged and my host found me an alternative room in another b&b at his expense! I was very impressed and the alternative more than met my needs and expectations! A fantastic experience! Thank you and God Bless you!

• Deluxe Double Room with Estuary View

Everything. Room, staff, food, drinks and gardens

The staff were fantastic. The bedroom was fabulous. The bar was clean and friendly and had a wide variety of beers, wines and gins. Thus hotel was amazing and we are planning a birthday trip in June with our son. Brilliant.

• Club King or Twin Room with Estuary View

Had such a great time at this beautiful quaint inn. Such friendly staff there to welcome us. Shown to our room overlooking the estuary. It really was the perfect base and a memorable weekend which included a proposal and she said yes so thank you to all at this lovely Inn for being part of our engagement weekend and making it one to remember. 100% recommend.

• Premier Triple Room

Excellent place to stay. Friendly staff, nothing seemed to much bother for them. Upgraded our stay at no extra charge. Room was fantastic, comfy beds. The best power shower I have ever seen in hundreds of hotels. Location was an absolute dream and considering we were there for work, it made it a very enjoyable stay. 10/10 from me. Cheers again, Kyle and all the Caledonia lads

• Deluxe Double Room with Estuary View

The fact that dogs are not allowed in all rooms caused some hassle. This could be avoided if it was made clearer in the description - as far as I was aware I had booked a room in a pet friendly place. Some of the decor was a bit tired looking but they seem to be working on things. Little things like hooks for coats and somewhere to put your soap in the shower would help.

The location is great, staff were welcoming and helpful although we arrived much later than planned.The room was spacious and the bed comfy, excellent breakfast.

• Classic Double Room

The noise and it was very cold

It was very noisy from wind door was making a noise all night, which may have been different if not windy. The bathroom had a moldy faint smell It was ok ,good for the price

• Cosy Single Room with Private External Bathroom

All the single rooms are on the second floor and mine was freezing cold. I had to wear thermal underwear and socks in bed!

The staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

• Classic Double Room

The room was ok but the curtains were very grubby at the bottom and the paintwork needed redoing. The bathroom sink was chipped and the main walkway through to the rooms had a musty smell about it. Really lovely area to visit though.

Lovely area to visit, just a shame about the room and the overall experience.

• Classic Double Room

There's building work going on at the moment and we were woken up by builders starting work at 5.45 a.m. today. Also there is a new chef who managed to burn a curry. There was also a fire risk in that the fire exit had been blocked and we were basically locked in; I hate to think what would have happened if there's been a fire

Staff are fantastic

Everything!

Nothing. The single bed in a tiny box room @ top of building was claustraphobic; mattress was like sleeping on a wet sponge & bed tilting backwards. Pub restaurant was closed by 20:00hrs & to crownnit all the bar charged £5.00 for a pint of Peroni (Italian) beer! Shocking & outrageous. Not even local chippy was open after 8.0pm. Would never recommend anyone to stay in Arnside, way off the beaten track.

• Classic Double Room

Lovely rooms with an excellent view. Great location if you want to drive or get the train into a local city. The staff couldn't be more helpful and the food in the pub is lovely. Would defiantly come back.

• Deluxe Double Room with Estuary View

Owner/manager was a little over bearing, in your face & a know it all. Drinks were very expensive.

Great location for a quiet break, excellent area for walkers. Staff were friendly & helpful.

Nothing it was perfect.

Brilliant hotel. The room was lovely with a fantastic sea view. Staff were excellent - very friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them.

• Classic Double Room

We didnt think the food was very good. I had beef burger and chips. It was large but very much a rubbery processed concoction and the chips were artificial too. My wife had salmon which was really cooked too much. Breakfast was fine.

• Classic Double Room

Tiny dated bathroom, freezing dated room. Check in area in bar area found after trying a couple of entrances. Food ordinary & relatively expensive. Too many stairs to room.

Location & Views

• Classic Double Room

Our stay was excellent from start to end. All Staff were very friendly, the room was spotlessly clean and pleasant. The view was lovely and the breakfast was excellent!

• Deluxe Double Room with Estuary View

Breakfast! Room and food on offer could be much better. Staff not particularly helpful and fire alarm went off - 5mins!

Room was good, except bed was too soft for me!

• Classic Double Room

Yogurt at breakfast 5 days out of date. Single room view of brick wall. Menu on the hotels website incorrect. Food stated on their website menu not on the menu. Incorrect prices shown on website against the food. Miserable man at reception. Toilet in room smelled badly odd stale urine. On top floor but no lift. Double room with 2 biscuits, 2 cups, 2 towels and 1 chair.

Bed comfortable. Fried breakfast nice. Nice view from double room. Car parking not always available at hotel. Nice staff behind the bar apart from guy at reception.

• Club King or Twin Room with Estuary View

Had a 1 night stay here and was not disappointed. The hotel has a lovely location and the room we had was gorgeous with stunning views across the estuary. Lovely, friendly staff and was made to feel extremely welcome. Drinks well priced, evening meal was excellent and breakfast was also lovely. Small touches like biscuits in the room, bath robes in the wardrobes, all made for an excellent stay. Overall a lovely break and couldn’t ask for anything more.

• Classic Double Room

We couldn’t fault anything wrong with our stay.

We were exceptionally happy with the service of the staff. Tony went out of his way to make our stay extra special.

• Deluxe Double Room with Estuary View

Not very soundproof, could hear whoever was next door snoring all night, however, no noise from the pub. Shower drain smelt a little and overall bathroom was very basic and tiny.

Amazing location and view from the room. Loved the little extras such as shoe shine and shower caps. Appropriated the 24hr door rather than having to go through the pub.

Nothing not to like

It's very comfortable. I have disability,they gave me ground floor accommodation which had an excellent disabled shower room. You can eat here in the evening and have a drink in the publishing

• Club King or Twin Room with Estuary View

Standard of other rooms, breakfast room flakey paint on walls and broken blind, outside door letting cold in, very cramped seating, all on top of each other. Not enough parking in car park, we had to park on road. Very average at best for dinner.

The room was very nice, lovely view, big comfy bed, fabulous bay window seating area.

• Deluxe Double Room with Estuary View

Quite a small room, but had everything we needed. Would have liked a vegetarian breakfast option, but we enjoyed what we had.

Lovely room, very clean, nicely decorated. Very quiet, no noise from other rooms or bar.

• Classic Double Room

Could hear absolutely everything from the room directly above ours. Ceiling creaked & squeecked with each thud of the footsteps of the guests above. All fab a part from that.

Relaxed, friendly atmosphere & where able to promtly correct an error made by booking.com, with regards to the type of room we requested.

• Classic Double Room

The bathroom was tatty and not properly clean with Black mould in the shower. It certainly didn’t match what I would expect when we saw the room.

The bedroom was lovely and the view over the estuary was great

Needed a good clean

There was so much dust in the bedroom and bathroom, I ran a bath and the water was yellow/green????we arrived at 8.25pm checked in at 8.31 and asked if we could eat and were told food finished at 8.30!!!!

• Classic Double Room

Unfortunately there was a horrible smell, it was like a babies nappy all through the hallways but not in the room. It came to 02:30 in the morning and my partner and I were suddenly woken by an extremely loud alarm going off, in a panic I had to jump up and rush to the door. People were outside of their rooms wondering what it was and all of a sudden it stopped.

The property it’s self was good.

• Classic Double Room

Bar area and more so the breakfast room weren't as well appointed as the rooms and the stair and landing areas which were quaint with lots more memorabilia including paintings of the local area etc. A bit stark in comparison.

Lovely rooms, warm, clean, comfortable with everything you would need and lots of nice touches. Wonderful welcome from management and nothing too much trouble for staff. Bar and restaurant on site - placemats and coasters were lovely images of the estuary opposite the hotel. Local area information readily available.

• Classic Double Room

The shower did not work. Limited parking spaces.

The room was very comfortable if a little small. Newly decorated and very clean. Toiletries and tea/coffee making facilities provided an additional touch. Bathroom was also good although we couldn't get the shower to work at all. Every member of staff was very friendly, they couldn't do enough for you.

• Luxury Suite with Estuary View

We would have liked a greater choice of teas and types of milk at breakfast time.

Our room overlooked the estuary so we had a stunning view. It was very quiet and so we had a good night's sleep. Staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

• Luxury Suite with Estuary View

The restaurant was okay but expensive, and because it’s a pub also they had a live band on a Saturday which if your not in the bar is very loud from your room

The staff are very friendly and the view is amazing

Browse Ye Olde Fighting Cocks traveller photo gallery