Reviews of Athinaikon 1 stars

40 Evripidou Street, Athens, 10552, Greece

#249 of 295 hotels in Athens

6.1

6.2

Good place for a short stay in Athens
    • Special Offer - Double Room

The rooms and especially toilet are very small

Location was quite good - close to the Monastiraki Square. The personnel at the reception was nice and helpful.

Staff are nice,the hotel are in good location, you can go to...
    • Special Offer - Double Room

We booked a non smoking room, but it have obvious smell of cigarette in the room.

Staff are nice,the hotel are in good location, you can go to most attractions on foot

Simple little hotel
    • Special Offer - Double Room

The hotel did not provide a quilt, which made us feel confused.Bath towels don't look too clean and stained.

The front desk is very friendly and available 24 hours a day. The rooms are simple and meet the basic needs. There is a vending machine on the first floor that is very convenient. It is a 15-minute walk from Syntagma Square.

Great central location.
    • Special Offer - Double Room

The long trip up the stairs with multiple heavy suitcases. I could smell cigarettes from other rooms as soon as I stepped out of the room.

The air-conditioning was good, and the bed was fairly comfortable. We stayed for a week, but I would recommend spending slightly more to stay somewhere better. The location was extremely central, which was fantastic, however, the immediate area was a little dodgy if you didn't head straight for the main road.

Great location but not recommended to people who care about hygiene.
    • Special Offer - Single Room

I stayed in 2 different rooms: room condition differs, but the bathroom generally smells all the time even right after cleaning(plumbing problem), and the room doesn't smell as nice either. There are a lot of homeless people drunk or high on the street near the hotel after sunset. I don't recommend for solo travelers.

great location, very close to monastiraki station, walking distance from syntagma square and all the touristic spots. Staffs were helpful: Responded fast when I had a leaking aircon in the room.

Didn't like this place at all it's a hole
    • Special Offer - Double Room

Place in a very old building. Old windows can hear everything from street. Horrible shower water goes everywhere in bathroom and bedroom. Place needs to be refurbished. No breakfast need to pay even for water or coffee in dispensing machines. Didn't like neighborhood. Do not recommend at all.sorry

Close to centre

Affordable in a good location
    • Special Offer - Single Room

The bathroom smelled really musty, and you had to use the key for electricity so couldn't charge things when you were out.

Location was perfect, the bed was comfortable, good price

Good value for money
    • Special Offer - Single Room

Weird smell in the bathroom.

I just stayed there for one night. For the money that I paid there is nothing that I can not like. Clean room and nice, helpful staff. If you need a cheap place to stay in center of Athens, then this is a good choice.

It´s close to the city centre and the staff are very...
    • Special Offer - Double Room

The hotel is located in a rougher part of the city. Also, the room had a strange smell and there was no shower stall (the toilet and the shower share the same floor, so you should bring flipflops)

It´s close to the city centre and the staff are very friendly.

Great location, 15-20min walk to Acropolis and 10min to...
    • Special Offer - Double Room

Very Small bathroom with no fan or window. No elevator. Had to return key to reception every time we left, which felt odd. But had no troubles with this.

Great location, 15-20min walk to Acropolis and 10min to syntagma Square/central train station for transport. Very basic, but great for a one night stay - we stayed two separate nights before and after a sailing trip.

Friendly staff and good location.
    • Special Offer - Double Room

Vary late replies to the questions we sent to the facility.

Very friendly staff and always willing to help and excellent location with everything you may need in walking distance.

Not bad for the price
    • Quadruple Room

There were alot of homeless people on the street near the hotel late at night but during the day hours it was okay.

The staff is amazing and super helpful. The metro is about a 3-4 min walk. Everything worth seeing is within walking distance.

It was ok for 2 nights.
    • Special Offer - Single Room

It was abit dirty around the area and I had to walk to a different hotel to get my breakfast.

The staff were friendly and helpful in a convenient location

It was right by the metro and the Monastiraki area.
    • Special Offer - Single Room

There was no elevator the stairs were a little dirty, My room had no view the window looked out at another building.

It was right by the metro and the Monastiraki area. The price was low. You get what you pay for

simple, economical and central
    • Special Offer - Single Room

AC didn't work properly, and there was no elevator, so I had to carry a 23kg suitcase up to the third floor.

Very central, 5 minutes walk to Monastiraki in an authentic part of Athens near the market. Many shops in the area where you can literally buy anything. I stayed there just one night before I had to catch a ferry and the place defenitely met my expectations. The room was not very modern but clean so it was worth the price.

Staff were very helpful and warm. Laundry service which was excellent. Location was great.
    • Special Offer - Double Room

Small barely functional bathroom. Water draining out of bathroom.

Staff were outstanding very welcoming. Laundry service. Common area was a bonus. Outstanding value for money.

The location was good.
    • Special Offer - Double Room

The location was good. For us a easy walk to the metro and to some of the major sights of Athens. Staff were helpful and friendly also. All that is needed for a quick stay and a good sleep.

The hotel is really closed to Monastiraki, the center of...
    • Special Offer - Double Room

It is not so good for families!

The hotel is really closed to Monastiraki, the center of night life in Athens. It is not so expensive so I didn't expect a 5 stars hotel :)..It is perfect if you want to visit the city just for a weekend!

Overall very happy with my stay here.
    • Special Offer - Double Room

I had requested more than two months in advance for a twin room, but unfortunately was given a double. (Though I suppose it was only a request and the guy on reception was very apologetic about it) I just thought to mention it encase this was particularly an important factor for anyone else. Also there is no elevator, only stairs up to the rooms.

The Location is super central - 5 Minute walk from Monastiraki Square Staff were Polite Room is very basic but Clean

Fair quality/price rapport

During the first night I got heavily bitten by some insects (hope they are night bed bugs :( and in that case I hope that they didn’t get into my suitcase ) The next nights, as they were not hungry anymore they left me alone...

The central position is excellent

Wouldn't go back
    • Special Offer - Double Room

It was a bleak; the whole place could have done with modernisation. My room was on the second floor; there is no lift and nobody offered to help me with my suitcase. There was not even a water glass provided; you had to buy bottled water from a machine on the landing.

It was not expensive and was reasonably clean but I wished I had paid more for a better hotel. There is, however, a very nice delicatessen type restaurant in the same street. I liked the central position which makes it handy for the metro.

Never felt so disappointed due to an accomodation.

Currently we are waiting to be compensated. Already at the first evening we told to the receptionist that our room is very stinky, the bathroom is full of MUST.  The door of the bathroom couldn’t be fully closed as the bottom of it was cut down , so there was 15 cm whole on it. The receptionist came to our room already in the first day and said that we are right,he can smell , he will call somebody and see what he can do. Later he told us that he cannot do anything because they are full now and the supervisor is not here , he will come tomorrow and he will help. The smell of the must was too strong that we could not breath, so the window had to stay open all night, which deactivated the air conditioner and also a lot of muscitos came into the room. It was an awfulll night for us. In the next morning we went to the reception but the supervisor was not there, but only a lady who said she is the supervisor’s mother. The lady said that she cannot do anything else but to give us a 2 bedroom room. But we said we are 3, so we need 3 beds. She said that she will give an extra bed, which they put into the tiny 2 bedroom room but it was so small that even the 3rd bed could not be opened. We said that there is no space for 3 beds, so it was not an option and also we booked and paid for a 3 bedroom room which they could not provide. We asked her to tell when the supervisor will come, she said she does not know. Than we asked to call him, but she said no. That was the time when we called booking. We did not get any other help. We just got back only the 2 days charge what actually we did not spend in the hotel as we moved out. We booked an other hotel what was more expensive, that was the only free space what we found in booking. Since the issue happened I was informed that in case we are booking a room in booking.com, and the hotel cannot provide what we booked they must provide a room a with the same conditions.

Unfortunately I cannot think of anything what made us happy to remember this hotel. It is in the middle of the center and that's it.

The size of the room was good.
    • Special Offer - Double Room

The bathroom was not clean enough with the wall grout full of moulds. We got the room on third floor with no lift so had to carry our luggage through the stairs. Would have preferred some help.

The size of the room was good.

Very bad experience
    • Special Offer - Single Room

I spent one night in the hotel. The room 15 was extremely humid. I could not breath normally at night. I was not even able to sleep... Very bad experience. At 2 a.m. I was thinking about booking another hotel around.... In the morning, I left my suit case in the reception. When I came back to take it, I asked to charge my cell phone in reception because I needed to check my flight and print the boarding pass. I was asked to leave my phone and even if there was a sofa at reception, I was not allowed to seat for few minutes... I stayed in the street while waiting for my phone charging. I've been using booking for years and it is the first time that I pick the wrong hotel... Very disappointed.

Excellent geographical situation

Controversial attitude
    • Special Offer - Single Room

There is a very unsafe street not far from the hotel, but the area overall seemed pretty safe. The money was withheld from my account as "a temporary hold" but never returned to my account, the hotel staff didn't reply to my emails. On arrival the whole price was taken from my account. So be careful with that. The hotel left a bitter aftertaste.

Location is great! The room has everything a traveler might need for a short stay. Very close to almost all archeological sites and lots of cozy places to eat out.

Excellent stay for an overnight weekend in Athens
    • Special Offer - Double Room

Location - just 500 meters away from Monastiraki Efficiency - check in, check out, payment - extremely efficiently handled Good facilities for the price

Convenient, clean, cute place!
    • Special Offer - Double Room

It’s conveniently placed, very close to everything you’d want to see while in Athens! We were able to walk to the Acropolis, saving us transportation tickets. You’re also able to leave your luggage there after check out in case you want to do more exploring before leaving!

4.5
    Not what expected

There's no elevator, so people traveling with big suitcases should think twice before booking here. The pillows are super flat. The neighborhood is very noisy and the window looks out to very nasty surroundings.

Location was okay from popular landmarks.

A cozy, well-located base in the city
    • Special Offer - Single Room

The hotel was a bit older than I expected and the room smaller.

The hotel is decently well located up the street from the Monastiraki metro station and the Plaka. The room was small but cozy, and the Internet was good.

Perfect location.
    • Special Offer - Double Room

Need to work on the bathroom department.

Perfect location. A few minutes from Monastiraki metro station, the central municipal market and walking distance to all the main attractions. The staff was outstanding. Especially one of the front desk clerks (I do apologize I forgot the name). Open 24/7.

Run down rooms in a terrific location
    • Special Offer - Double Room

Rooms a little run down kind...forget luxury it’s just kind of touch and go type of stay may be to stay a night at max

Location was the only thing which was the best .. walking distance from Acropolis and from the best of eateries around

GREAT LOCATION AND FRIENDLY STAFF
    • Special Offer - Single Room

Lift would be nice, 2nd power point.

Great location and helpful , friendly staff , family owned and run , allways a bonus. CLOSE TO METROS, markets, shops, walking distance Accropolis , Hadrian's Libary and Roman/ Greek Agoras and best preserved Greek temple , Hephaestus.

A perfectly one star hotel
    • Special Offer - Double Room

No elevators with a long stair to the 3rd floor The area is busy and noisy in the morning because of the many shops around

The room and the toilet are very clean Staff are friendly and helpful Location is good around 3-5min walking from Monastiraki with lots of cafes and restaurants in the area

A wonderful introductory stay to the city of Athens
    • Special Offer - Double Room

We like the friendliness and service of the owner, Vicky and her son, Nick and also Manos and Bill. They went all the way to help us obtain a refund from another hotel. Athinaikon Hotel is surrounded by specialised shops such as cured meats, spices, honey, hardware, plants & garden supplies etc passed down over generations. It is full of life. There are numerous restaurants and food stores. It is only a short walk to Monstratiraki Square and Monstratiraki Subway station. There are lots of fashion shops nearby. The Acropolis is about a half hour easy stroll but once you get there it is a climb uphill which everyone has to participate.

LOCATIOn LOCATION LOCATION , moved out of a comfy B&B...
    • Special Offer - Double Room

LOCATIOn LOCATION LOCATION , moved out of a comfy B&B WITH A DRUNK LANDLORD / HOST, found this little gem. I have booked 4 more stays there , 1 of 6 nights . Great front desk staff , very helpful. CLOSE TO 2 METROS , ONE TO AIRPORT , atms use I BANK in the metro Monastiraki , no fees . METROS FANTASTIC , BUT BE VERY CAREFUL TEAMS OF NON GREEKS PICKN POCKETS EVERYWHERE , DONE TWICE IN 4 DAYS BUT WAS QUICK ENOUGH TO STOP THEM , WOMEN INVOLVED . She boxed me in with suitcase , he rubbed against me punched his hand as he made the transfer to her wallet dropped to floor. NOW HAVE A THIGH MONEY BELT , CC 'S IN BOOT . Do not let this put you off Athens fantastic , Greeks helpful/ friendly. Looking forward to my next 4 weeks there.

Price is nice.
    • Special Offer - Double Room

Very small room. Very bad sound insulation

Price is nice. Location in city center, I never use public transport to get to the attractions. 5 minutes from metro station.

Great place to live a real life of Athens!
    • Special Offer - Double Room

Everything was fine but other guests may be surprised with the shower in the bathroom, it wasn't a problem for me at all.

Great location - nearby the Central Mnicipal Market and the historic center of Athens, very nice and helpfull hosts. The room was clean. In the area of the hotel you can eat delicious food in real Greek restaurants.

Good price-quality ratio, but only because it was cheap during the low-season
    • Special Offer - Single Room

Uncomfortable mattress/bad, bathroom was hygienic except for a number of flies, very noisy (you could clearly hear your neighbours and noise coming from the water installation (?)).

Friendly staff, large bed.

Very close to centre. Cheap and worth value of money.
    • Special Offer - Single Room

I stayed in a single room with a private bathroom. And for the very cheap price at so close to the city centre I expected rather less. Staff is friendly. Provided me with a hair dryer which wasnt promised. Monastiraki metro station is just 2 minutes walk. Monastiraki square maybe 4-5 minutes.

Lots of character in an unbeatable location.
    • Special Offer - Double Room

Not the comfiest hotel, but it's got lots of character, and is excellent value for money.

The staff was exceptionally helpful, welcoming, and friendly while professional. Perfect location in the lively Theatrou neighbourhood, near the central market.

TERRIBLE REFLECTION OF TOURISM
    • Special Offer - Double Room

EVERYTHING could have been better. Dishonest advertising. VERY POOR ..UNSAFE NEIGHBORHOOD..Marble stairs leading to a filthy..moldy..small room with broken window latches and windows. EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTING EXPERIENCE WE WILL BE SEEKING A FULL REFUND.

Did not eat here Not sure I would even eat here. The place is filthy

I don't recommend it
    • Special Offer - Single Room

The room is so small, even for one person. it is not clean, and the everyday cleaning was bad. at one time i found a hair of the cleaner (long hair, not mine) on the floor. there was a lot of insects in the room :(:( there was a lot of noise in the hotel, especially at night.

The location is good, and the guys in the reception, most of them, are kind and helpful.

Clean budget hotel near Monastiraki (Psiry), a bit noisy
    • Special Offer - Double Room

The room is a bit small and you can hear a lot of noise all night long. We had a room with a window at the main road and it was very noisy. But if you are very tired after visiting Athens all day long, i think you should sleep anyway :p No elevator, for us was not a problem, but if you have big luggage it may be a problem.

Budget hotel in the heart of Athens. You are two steps away from Monastiraki and 10 minutes walk from syntagma square. It is safe to walk here in the evening. Small but clean room, towels were changed everyday. There is an automatic machine at the second floor with water, chips, sweets. So if you are not looking for confort, just a clean room to sleep at the right price, you can book here.

Convenient for the area we wanted, not bad for the price which was very low. We enjoyed our stay .
    • Special Offer - Double Room

No hairdryer or kettle in room. No lift to bring in heavy luggage up and down stairs. T.V. Did not work and bathroom floor dirty round edges and behind toilet.

Staff were nice, location run down but close to good bars and restaurants.

Uncomfortable and a terrible experience ever
    • Special Offer - Double Room

- many mosquitos at the room despite November - uncomfortable room, bed and pillows - prostitutes in the next door at nights and the walls are too thin people like in your room - smelling room - cannot take shower because of poor facilities and no hair-dryer

- wifi at the room - helpful and English speaking staff - air condition works - extra blankets

Very central hotel for a very reasonable price
    • Special Offer - Single Room

Very very central, right next to a lot of cool places like bars and restaurants. For a very reasonable price you get all you need; your own room, bathroom and bed. Staff was very nice. Place was tighty.

Great value
    • Special Offer - Double Room

The bed was uncomfortable. After 4 nights, I had a sore neck and back.

Extremely affordable and a short walk to the flea market area. Very convenient for seeing the major sites

Staff were very nice and helpful.
    • Special Offer - Double Room

Not much furniture in room to sit down or put your bags as room is fairly small

Staff were very nice and helpful. Happy to recommend this place to others

The perfect budget hotel. Home from home.
    • Special Offer - Single Room

The staff were very helpful. Location perfect. Room very clean. Beautiful old building maintaining original features. Breakfast served at an extra charge of €6 at an adjacent hotel - and what an amazing buffet of a breakfast !!! Highly recommended. Thank you for making my stay comfortable and enjoyable.

Good location.
    • Special Offer - Double Room

Good location. 5 min by foot from the metro station (line goes directly to the airoport). All the most importamt tourist atractions within walkin distance. The area around the hotel not that great though. Friendly staff and the room was clean.

I've chosen the hotel because of the location.
    • Special Offer - Double Room

But if I came for pleasure I'd never chose the same place, very dangerous. It's better not to go out after dusk there. The bathroom in the room wasn't very clean, disappointed. And there was no lift, although my room was on the 3-rd floor.

I've chosen the hotel because of the location. I needed to get up early next morning and to be in the Plaka for some business.

Location is excellent, right at the heart of Athens, very...
    • Special Offer - Double Room

No shower tray or curtain in the bathroom. Whem taking a shower water just spreads on the bathroom floor and splashes everywhere around. No ventilation in the bathroom.

Location is excellent, right at the heart of Athens, very close to Metro Stations and walking distance from major sights. Very helpfull and friendly staff.

Wonderful place, I would repeat the same experience
    • Special Offer - Double Room

the kitchen should be more accessorized, at least with a stove

Very nice place at 2 minutes walking to the beach and just 5 minutes to the city center. Peaceful and reserved place

Very modest place at a great price in a good location
    • Special Offer - Single Room

A little dim, but clean and very acceptable for the low price

Very basic accommodation. In a good district very close to metro station on the direct port and airport line.

Only Location
    • Special Offer - Single Room

Just little bit better than a hostel, but much much lower than a hotel, not good for bussines, small rooms, poor wi-fi, no bussines facilities, very smallroom, good location, good price

Only Location

decent stay, but too noisy
    • Special Offer - Single Room

The room was extremely small. But the main problem was the very very thin walls... some people a few rooms away came back in the middle of the night and apparently had troubles to open their door, they were talking very very loudly and it feels as if they were just next to me (and I am quite a deep sleeper)

Wifi was good

Good hotel close to monastiraki
    • Special Offer - Double Room

General maintenance for the hotel is not very good.

People in the reception was very kind. Well located, not nice the sorroundings (aprecia llu in the evening) but close to monastiraki station. Clean. Good relation Quality price

The price and the staff
    • Special Offer - Single Room

The shower arrangement was awkward because it was right beside the toilet. Also when I first arrived there were ants in the shower. (I got rid of them by washing them down the drain

The price and the staff

Good location, within walking distance to Acropolis and...
    • Quadruple Room

Poor bathroom ventilation. Neighborhood felt somewhat unsafe, despite the staff assurance that this is not the case. Parking is an issue in this part of the city, and I ended up paying for 24h guarded parking place.

Good location, within walking distance to Acropolis and Syntagma Square. Metro station is nearby. The beds were comfortable, and I was able to sleep well. High ceiling certainly makes the room look nicer.

bad experience this time
    • Special Offer - Single Room

Air condition was not working. The receptionist told me that it would be repaired the next day, But I stayed just 1 night. The room was as hot as helll all night long. It was a terrible experience for me.

The staff was pretty great.
    • Special Offer - Double Room

The room was alright. However, the aircon was blowing wind direct to me when sleeping. with the blanket was okay but still it's the only drawback.

The staff was pretty great. Our room was in the 3rd floor and the young man at the front desk helped us bringing 2 luggages upstairs. Thanks a lot. The location was great as well. Getting to the acropolis by walking very convenient.

Close to everything, staff very helpful.
    • Special Offer - Double Room

Very hard beds, ugly neighbourhood and views from windows. Breakfast is good but at a different hotel. No elevator. Hotel is old and in need of renovations, particularly the washrooms. The room was very small (no place for luggage), and dreadfully hot when we arrived. It would get hot quickly once AC was turned off, however having it on all the time meant that you had it blowing at our heads while we slept.

Close to everything, staff very helpful.

Location and price, the room basic but OK.
    • Special Offer - Single Room

I've left my belonging at the hotel (100% sure I left it there, no any other place). The hotel denies finding it.

Location and price, the room basic but OK.

Do not stay here
    • Special Offer - Double Room

I felt extremely unsafe. It was a very unsafe area and the lock on the door was not very secure! The photos on Booking.com are extremely misleading, the room was small, unclean and did not even have blankets! The bathroom was run down, old and also unclean. You could hear noises from all over the hotel in the room. Do not stay here!

Great location + very clean room
    • Special Offer - Double Room

The location is excellent! Monastiraki metro station is a few minute walk from the hotel. There are plenty of lovely restaurants and bars in the area, still the hotel itself is on a quiet street - we got a room with a street view. The air con is a great salvation in the summer heats.

You get what you pay for.
    • Special Offer - Double Room

The room was very small, but compared with other hotels in the area, it seemed like good value for money. No elevator, so it was difficult to get heavy bags up to the rooms, but the staff did kindly offer to carry them for me.

That's staff were friendly and offered help with directions etc. They allowed me to leave my bags in reception on the day of arrival and checkout. The air conditioner worked well and was essential in a very hot Summer.

Very uncomfortable
    • Special Offer - Double Room

The room is extremely tiny that I couldn't use the toilet without hugging the sink. We were two in the room and we couldn't move together in the room at the same time, one ad to wait on bed. the view from the room is a building full of offices and people working. The room was on the 3ed floor which we had to carry the bags all the way up!

The location is almost near everything and the room is clean.

value stay close to ermou and agora

The air conditioning was loud, and the combined bathroom shower floor was not the best.

I booked this place for several reasons. It was very inexpensive, close to the Montesteraki metro that would go right to the airport early the next morning. It is very close to the Agora which has tons of restaurants and shopping. ERmou street is also very close. It was perfect except for the noisy air conditioners. Other than that no complaints! Oh, no elevator so you have to carry your luggage up.

Godd value for the money. Helpful staff.
    • Special Offer - Double Room

the only window of our room was looking at the inner yard which is 2x2 square meters. The air was thick from all the air conditions working so it was impossible to have fresh air.

Staff was helpful, they kept our bags after checkout and were nice overall.

Nice location but poor hotel
    • Special Offer - Single Room

Very small room; bed not comfortable at all; thin walls (very noisy!); air-co not working; ants in the bathroom

Nice location in the centre of Athens; cheap

Cheap hotel with good relation quality/price for one night
    • Special Offer - Single Room

Another towel would be welcome to dry the toilet as the shower was not separated and had no curtain (very small). It was fine for 1 night but if you have to come back to the Hotel during the day and everything is still wet, it is not nice.

The owners were welcoming and spoke English. Hotel situated near the old city center, 5 min from Metro station and near the Market. Air conditionning was included - necessary when it is hot as my window opened on a closed and very small backyard (no real natural ventilation).

The hotel is walking distance from the train station.
    • Special Offer - Single Room

I was looking to a wall when I opened my window, but it was okay as I hardly in my room.

The hotel is walking distance from the train station. Grat value for money & very clean!

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

Location (5 minutes walk from shopping main streets, 15...
    • Special Offer - Double Room

No elevator, sink is in the shower area, location at night not the best

Location (5 minutes walk from shopping main streets, 15 minutes from Acropolis), reasonable price and mostly kind helpful staff

It's OK but not great.
    • Special Offer - Single Room

The room smelled like an old church. Smoking is permitted in the rooms and the smoke from the next room was constantly getting into mine. It wasn't horrible but for a nonsmoker it's a major inconvenience.

It was clean and close to all the main tourist attractions. That's all the good things you can say about the place.

Clean rooms and friendly stuff
    • Special Offer - Single Room

Noisy neighbors returning late in night

Rooms were clean and stuff friendly. Towels, shower gel, shampoo were available and free to use. Wifi connection without any issues.