Reviews of Brazil Hotel 2 stars

62 Filis Street, Victoria Square, Athens, 104 34, Greece

#58 of 295 hotels in Athens

Some of the staff was not very friendly, there is no breakfast in the hotel (but there are restaurants in the area).

It's a good deal when it comes to the cost because it's located close to the Athens city centre.

• Superior Room with Spa Bath

Location unknown to most taxi drivers! Apart from towels and basic soap neither a bottle of water nor drinking glasses provided. Step stairs and no elevator. No tea coffee making facility and no breakfast!

Room was spacious clean and good linen. Huge Jacuzzi, with no instructions how to use for those uninitiated. Staff agreed to keep our luggage for an extra day without charge.

We experienced a theft on the metro prior to arriving that really impacted our trip. The staff at Brazil were very kind and gave us a free room upgrade when they found out. Their advice was also helpful. We liked that the hotel is a short walk to the metro.

The most problem was odor. That rotten smell was everywhere, and there was no way to get rid of it. In the hotel, there was no amazing lighting from the photos. Just usual lamps and spotlights, nothing special at all. There's no breakfast served but a pâtisserie is just round a corner; there one can have some fresh bakery products and a cup of coffee. Some pastry and a drink costs 3 € or so; plain water is free of charge as everywhere in Athens.

The hotel is situated in a block from Victoria (Βικτώρια) metro station of the green line M1 with direct connection Piraeus. There are just two stops to Monastiraki (Μοναστηράκι) station where one can walk through Plaka and Acropolis or change to the blue line M3 to the airport. The quarter is not tourist-friendly and it's strongly advised not to walk there on night.

I stayed a few nights at the Brazil hotel with my boyfriend and we both felt at home from the moment we arrived! This seems to be a family run hotel and we were treated very kindly by each member as if we were family. The hotel is very clean and also close to a metro station so it was very easy to travel around. They were also very helpful in recommending places to eat and explaining where different attractions were. We would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it! Thank you for a great stay!

The price and location were what originally drew us to this hotel, but it was the staff that made our stay here so wonderful. They went out of their way to make us feel at home. We will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Athens.

The neighborhood is a bit rough. There seems to be a genuine concern for pickpockets and teenagers who might smash a car window for some change inside. Not many restaurants nearby.

It's a family hotel, the staff (mom & son) were very friendly and patient and spoke excellent english. This hotel is also very close to the subway and the National Archeological Museum (15 mins walk).

My pillow was harder than I'd like

Cleaner than the 5star hotel we where put up in because of our flight being 12 hours late. Staff is friendly and helpful.

Arriving at Brazil Hotel is like arriving home: family & staff are gentle and caring. Today on a whim(2 days after checking out- no Internet until now), I went back to look for the pillow I had left there. Sure enough, Chris brought it out!

I loved it

I was surprised by this hotel. Even though its a actually a reception with rooms it exceeded my expectations. Rooms are big and extremely clean. Bed is comfortable, big and clean shower, balcony and very central located 100 meters from the metro. Rooms are worth defenately more then 2 stars

A little fridge in the room would be great.

Very basic facilities in an excellent location - about ten minutes walk from the national archeological museum.

Lovely, little family owned hotel just off Victoria Square in the centre of Athens. Owner extremely friendly and helpful. Especially, as there was a Metro strike/ work stoppage the next. Owner had tall the relevant information I needed to get the Metro to the airport. Brilliant. Model was spotlessly clean and well maintained.

The hotel does not provide breakfast. When booking the hotel I was adamantly sure it included breakfast. The towels in the bathroom are not actually washed, these are simply hung in the bathroom left to dry. It is a family run business. The elder brother who occasionally works at reception once loudly remarked for me to wipe my trainers on the hotel entrance mat before entering; when my trainers were actually brand new and clean. I think he was trying to impress his lady friend who was with him smoking a cigarette at the entrance to the hotel, but at the expense of humiliating the customer. I felt insulted by the remark. The hotel is based in the centre of the red light district, so perhaps it may not be suitable for families and perhaps couples.

Very comfortable beds. Most of the staff were polite and helpful in answering questions and recommending places to eat. The hotel is based next to a Metro station, making it convenient to travel to tourist places and museums. Meal prices at restaurants in the Victoria Square area are reasonably inexpensive, particularly the Asian and Turkish places. The best place to exchange money is at Omonoia Square, Athens where I found the lowest rate at 0.90. Be careful, some places do charge commission between £4-5, which will be deducted from your total amount of cash. It is wise to ask what the commission rate is at each place, before exchanging money. Overall the experience was amazing, as most of the staff were courteous. I would definitely come back if they were able to provide breakfast, even if it was a croissant and a coffee.

Internet connection is not very good

All guys the reception was excellent I need charger the midddle of night they try to find for me and give me them own charger very please with that And special thanks from Theo And he give me big room

Neighborhood is a bit run down, but not actually dangerous as some might think when first seeing it. Tiny bathroom in the single room was a bit of a bummer, but shower was hot and water pressure good.

Very friendly staff, very budget friendly prices. Comfortable bed. Easy access to metro, two stops from the center.

The neighborhood is not for tourists. We would not walk out here after dark. However, we easily Ubered to our destinations and back. Uber is very accessible in Athens and very reasonably priced.

Loved the excellent staff. The brothers, Chris and Theo, are warm, friendly, and accommodating. Chris gave us great advice for an authentic night of Greek music and dining at Stou Forre in the Psiri district. He made reservations for us, ensuring a table is this wildly popular local spot. We were the only tourists there! It was a highlight of our Greek adventure. Our room was spacious and comfortable. We very much enjoyed the large bathroom with the huge jacuzzi/spa tub! During the day, we enjoyed a very good Indian restaurant on the corner. A 'Coffee Island'(delicious, reasonably priced cappuccino) is a 5 minute walk away.

Unlike other budget hotels, Brazil hotel is located at safer area (from most of the buildings in the area still look aged). I prefer staying here so that you don't have to keep your alarm on for your belongings every minute when you are on the street. It's also pretty accessible,. only 3 minutes of walk from Victoria station. Not to mention the price is fairly reasonable and you would have welcoming hosts of the hotel.

Maybe not the best neighbourhood. Just be careful.

Welcome attentive owner/manager speaks excellent English and invites you for complimentary coffee in the garden.

Neighbourhood, no direct connection to airport, no good restaurants close to hotel.

Personel was really friendly and helpful, 24h reception, very clean, quiet room, close to metro and grocery stores.

• Superior Room with Spa Bath

they could have more pillows in the room to make it more confortable. but the room was gorgeous.

it was very clean, the family was very kind and helpfull. Restaurants and stores around, metro is just 2 minutes walking.

Host were really very Good. :) Very helpful and friendly. Got a spacious room & facilities were good. Definitely I would love to stay there, If I get a chance to visit Athens once again. Value for money ! :)

Always a very warm and friendly welcome at Brazil Hotel. Comfortable rooms and easy access to the centre via the Metro which is only a few minutes walk away.

Location of the hotel is a bit tired but the connection to the sites and night life are very good.

Fantastic staff (family) who spoke excellent English and were extremely helpful and engaging. Could not want more from hotel staff.

It would be great if you could get a coffee here. Although there are a few coffee shops 150m away.

This family run hotel is excellent value for money. Great location with a very short walk from the train station. Do not be put off by the historical bad reputation Viktoria has, I was travelling alone and felt safe walking to the hotel. Bed had a good mattress for a 2 star hotel and was very clean. the family that run it are lovely, helpful and friendly. I would stay here again on my next trip to Athens.

The garden could be made a little more pleasant to work/spend time in and mosquitoes better controlled. There are no fridges in the rooms so the availability of some cold beverages for tired travellers at reception would be a lovely edition.

Helpful and pleasant staff/family, Cleanliness of the room and property.

We liked the hotel and the staff. It is a family hotel and everybody were very friendly and helpful. There is an inner patio and it's very nice to stay there in the hot daytime or to have a breakfast/ beer / snack. The hotel was very clean and the room was great.

Being unduly worried about street safety.

it was just an overnight stay from a late flight arrival to an early departure to catch the ferry from Piraeus to Agistri the next day. Our taxi driver had made us unduly concerned about our safety on the streets and the road that the hotel is in was rather run down. But the metro station is just around the corner and we had an excellent (and cheap) gyro and beers just off the square. the staff made us feel like family guests and do a fine job.

We did have some trouble finding it initially. From the metro exit, face Victoria park. Go through to the back of the park, pick the street that ends at the center of the park, walk up that street (it has big yellow concrete balls), turn left at the end of the first block. It's the second building on the left. The first (corner) building is under construction.

Wonderful family owners, clean, confortable and well-appointed room, easy access to the metro, part of a vibrant multicultural neighborhood, lots of choices for meals, easy walk to things we wanted to see, and an excellent value. We had a room with a balcony; very nice.

Location great, near by subway, walking distance to center, fair accommodation, very polite staff, nice bed and shower, a/c. Definitely value for money. Me like it. Will come again for sure :)

A little bit run down 62 steps, no lift No fridge No kettle No breakfast facilities No bar facilities or liquor licence

Great location Wonderful staff and wonderful family business

The neighbourhood is not the best. However, I never felt unsafe.

The staff were wonderful. Very friendly and helpful and it felt like they were family. It's a very comfortable place to stay at a reasonable price. There is a square nearby with a number of cafes and restaurants which are good for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is a little away from the centre, but easily accessibly by metro and also within a 15 - 20 minute walk. The metro also goes directly to Piraeus.

The family was lovely. They were kind, always checking in on us as we were coming and going, and helpful with arrangements to the airport, recommendations, etc. The rooms were big and clean and the bed was comfortable. Wi-fi was reliable and I loved the a.c. The metro (Victoria Square) is only a few minutes away. Lots of little restaurants, bars and convenience stores are nearby.

The location is in the Victoria Square area, which is a little seedy.

Good value for money. The staff is very friendly. The location is very near to the metro station and the National Archeology Museum.

The area is a little bad I would definitely have preferred a better area but for the price you can't expect everything. I did feel secure in the motel though, the lobby was staffed at all times and anyone who was not supposed to be there was not allowed in. There was no elevator but the trip up the stairs was not too far and the young men helped with our bags. The bar area was closed but they offered to make us coffee in the morning if we wanted. Anything bad about this place was easily overshadowed by the amazing guest service.

The staff here was amazing. The two young men speak very good English and treated us very well with a smile all the time. They were polite and friendly. They helped us with our bags and gave us directions to whatever we wanted to find. The metro is very close and easy to find, my mother had spinal surgery eight weeks before our travels and was still able to get around Athens okay from this location.

Internet was a little slow sometimes of the day, so it's something that can be better.

Hotel really well located and clean. Facilites are not luxury, but more than u need. Moreover, the thing that I really enjoyed staying here was the staff. This is a family run business and everyone that I talked was extremelly friendly. Not only helping me with questions, but making sure that I felt good and home. I think this is probably the best budget option in athens.

This hotel suited my needs perfectly. Email queries prior to my stay were answered promptly and the staff were incredibly helpful and accommodating throughout my stay. The rooms were affordable, a good size, clean and comfortable. As a woman traveling on my own, safety was of importance to me and I felt safe in this hotel and its surrounds. The hotel is literally two minutes from the Metro station and from there it was only a few more minutes to the major tourist attractions. I could not have been more pleased with the service and the hotel.

This hotel suffers from a number of problems. First, the amenities are lousy. There's no elevator, and you need to read guest comments on Booking in order to find that out. In the room, there's no fridge, no kettle, not even a glass - although 2 glasses were provided when we asked. Worse, though, is the lock situation. At check-in we were given detailed instructions on how to turn the key in the lock to open our room door and to close the door when we were leaving. However, no one bothered to tell us that the door needs to be locked from the inside by hand with a switch once you're in the room. This is a pretty serious safety issue, and we almost went to sleep one night without locking our door... thank goodness we checked and noticed the switch. Next, staff is a problem, particularly the night clerk who is extremely rude and intrusive, as others have noted. We had a problem with the air conditioning not cooling. We called the night clerk for help as our room was too hot to sleep in; he came upstairs only to argue with us that the fan setting was cooling when in fact it wasn't. He stood there arguing for a good 5 minutes at 4:30 in the morning. Eventually, we got the a/c working ourselves after fiddling with it for another 15 minutes after he left. Worse, the following night at 11:00 p.m. he called our room - we were in bed almost asleep - for some reason that we couldn't understand because his English is poor. Eventually, he hung up the phone, saying 'never mind'. If it was so unimportant, why in the world was he calling at 11 at night??? It turned out, he wanted us to sign our card payment slip, which we did in the morning at check-out, even tho the hotel had processed the payment before we had arrived! My experience with other hotels - when my card is being billed directly - is that hotels request my signature at check-in. It was off-putting that they billed my card but didn't request my signature till check-out 2 days later.

This hotel is located within walking distance of the Metro, so handy that way. Our bed was comfortable, and the room was clean enough. Wifi was reliable.

We had a balcony and the guys at the reception were really nice. They refilled our water bottles everyday with cold water for our trips. Would stay there again.

Very welcoming, warm and friendly hosts/hotel owners, always with kind things to say. They sent before arriving good directions from the airport and helped with the best route to visit all main attaractions.The hotel is situated in a quiet area near the metro - you can get to the main attractions in 20 min max and it has also a nice green garden.

not professional reception,broken tab in bath,

I got the hotel midnight,it was the worst reception I had in my life,receptionist was an old man asked my credit card ,when I gave him ,he started to say something with very broken English,when I asked what is wrong he repeated some thing i couldn't understand,he was not happy and I didn't get why?it was really hard for me to be treated like that,after a long trip,it was bad ,so annoying,

Everything was fine. I wish I could stay longer.

The family operating the hotel are the nicest people ever. Both the parents and the sons. You feel like home. I stayed in one of the rooms on the ground floor, close to the reception, but it absolutely did not affect my comfort at all.

No remarks.

The property was located close to the Viktoria metro station. It was easy to find and the staff was extremely helpfull. The rooms were clean with tv and airconditioning. Nice bedsize and pillows.

Amazing staff: so kind and friendly! Comfortable bed, good wi-fi. Close to metro station and not far from bus station(if you travel to Skopelos island).

Great location (near victoria metro), Very clean and comfortable room, and amazing staff. They are very helpful and give great tips to enjoy your vacation anywhere in greece. Very welcoming, thank you!

Some very minor details which could be improved, e.g. lighting in bathroom...

The staff - I felt like at home. The room very well equipped, including a convenient table and chair where one could work on the computer.

Both the evening staff and the owner, who was at the reception in the morning, were extremely kind and helpful. Lovely courtyard too. The room was comfortable and very clean.

Location is not the best. You need to use the subway to go the centre and the neighborhood is sort of suburban but we didn't get any trouble. Still good considering everything.

Rooms were clean and big enough. Staff was very polite, helpful and friendly. My friend had lost his wallet and they informed us as soon as they found it in the room. This is a nice, decent hotel in general.

The staff at this hotel are SO friendly. The rooms are nice, and the hotel is very safe. I would highly recommend you stay here while in Athens. There are some reviews that say that this hotel is in a 'less safe' area of Athens BUT i traveled with another female and we didn't feel unsafe. It's a 15 minute walk to the city center (the hotel is still in the city center, but in a quieter part) - and totally doable.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

NO BREAKFAST BUT IT WASN'T A BIG PROBLEM UNLESS YOU WANT AN EARLY MORNING COFFEE

WHAT OTHER HOTEL CAN YOU GO TO WHERE THE OWNERS WIFE HUGS YOU ON LEAVING AND WISHES YOU THE BEST. WHEN I RETURN TO ATHENS I WOULD NOT CONSIDER ANYPLACE OTHER THAN THE BRAZIL HOTEL. ONE THING, IF YOU HAVE A DIFFICULT TIME CLINBING STAIRS OR OTHER LEG PROBLEMS, THEY DON'T HAVE A LIFT. I'M 86 YEARS OLD AND THE OWNERS SON VCARRIED MY LUGGAGE UP FOR ME. BEST PEOPLE I HAVE EVER MET. I NOW CONSIDER THEM FRIENDS. NO BREAKFAST BUT VICTORIA SQUARE IS A TWO MINUE WALK AND THEY HAVE FANTASTIC SIDEWALK CAFE'S. WHAT A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

I was warned to be wary of pickpockets in the neighbourhood and on the metro, but this is a problem in many big cities.

The property was close to the Metro station only 2 stops from Monastiraki. The proprietors and their 2 sons were very friendly and helpful and made me feel very welcome. Their English was good.

When we arrived by taxi, we were worried about the neighborhood a little bit, but everything turned out fine, the hotel is far nicer than the surroundings.

The staff is very kind, and the room is very nice. There's a nice garden behind the building.

A lot of noise coming from outside (the windows couldn't be sealed properly), the room was a little bit not so clean and no bathroom curtain.

Staff was super friendly and polite and location is great (3 mins away from Victoria metro station).

Some of the facility such as hairdryer and the shower room door is a kind of old and need renovation.

The room is big, clean and comfortable. The stuff is also helpful and give all the information you want.

A mini fridge would be helpful to keep the water cold. The jacuzzi tub was nice but wasn't in full working order and couldn't really take a shower in it.

Very friendly and helpful staff! The rooms were clean and the bathroom was large.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

The hotel is located close to victoria station from where you can commute to most important places within 15-20 minutes by metro or taxi. There are nice coffee joints near the hotel. The hotel owners are wonderful people. They take extra care in giving all the information you need, help you plan the sightseeing itinerary and provide whatever help you need. They extended my stay for 2 hours without any charge as I had a late evening flight out of Athens.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Small family owned hotel, great welcoming staff, close to the metro station, we had a lovely stay. The owners are very nice people, we enjoyed our stay and would return anytime.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

There was nothing about the accommodation not to like - I was just sorry not to stay even longer at this hotel!

Firstly, the service: I have not received better service even in 5 star hotels. It was, put simply, the kindest and most diligent service I have received in a hotel. The accommodation quality is superb, there is a wonderful garden to lounge in out the back, the rooms are big, air conditioning works well, cleanliness impeccable, the staff are excellent with a family running the business extremely professionally, the area is VERY safe (lots of cafes and transport only 50 metres away), less than 7 minutes metro ride into the centre of Athens. This is an exceptional hotel, with an exceptionally professional staff, who will make your stay in Athens absolutely memorable. I will be coming back to Athens because of this positive experience.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Lovely staff, clean, quiet and spacious 1 person room with view on the garden. One minute walk to Victoria underground station, good breakfast facilities in the neighbourhood.

the location of the hotel makes you feel a little unsafe although we came from istanbul. and the room was at reception floor with the street view and though all night it was noisy because of cars, motorbikes and people passing. we didn't have the fancy lights mentioned in the room, they were all white lights, but it wasn't a problem.

bathroom was big and clean, bed was comfortable. staff was amazing, friendly and helpful. theo helped me parking the bike to a parking place for 10 euros for 2 days with multiple enterances. the hotel is very close to parking place and victoria metro station.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

Also regarding the location, from the metro station you have to walk around 4 minutes to the hotel and go through a little beautiful park, but a lot of dubious people are there at night.

It is super close to the metro station so it's so easy to get anywhere, and also it's close the center, we took a 30 minutes walk to get to Mount Lycabettus and it was a really nice walk and got to know the city. And the stuff was exceptional, they were super friendly and helped us with info and told us what is really nice to see.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

This was one of those increasingly rare experiences of staying at a family-run place where you feel like part of the family. An accommodating, real, welcoming family, a lovely room, and a convenient location.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

the best staff in hotel business, rooms was clean and spotless, special thanks goes to Theo and Chris and their mom , very friendly helpfull and you dont even feel you are staying in a hotel, it feels home, good suggestions for resturant and planning the day for visiting, over all perfect place to stay , i hope one day i could host them in London.

As far as the hotel goes i liked everything. As for athens it was lp

You absolutely could not ask for a better family owned Hotel! I cannot remember the mans name but him and his mother who owned the hotel were the most friendly people i met on my trip. I had a great conversation and got all the tips and info i could need. Made me feel at home.

Would have been great if they served breakfast, but there were restaurants very close.

The staff was very friendly. The updated bathroom had a shower with very hot water n excellent water pressure.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Nothing at all

I had a really great stay at the Hotel Brazil. Theo and his family are the nicest, warmest and most caring hosts - it felt like staying with friends. The hotel is located in the city center (Subway-Station Victoria is only a 2-minutes walk away, you can get quickly to any sights either by public transport or by foot) - however it is quiet and also offers a nice green yard. My room and bathroom were very clean, comfortable and well equipped, W-LAN worked best and I sleept extraordinarily well on the good matrass. I liked the lively and authentic surrounding with small shops and cafés. I'm glad that I found that lovely place.

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

Location was perfect, near bustling Victoria Square and its shops and restaurants, yet an oasis of peace, especially with the courtyard so accessible. In this family-run hotel, nothing was too much: coffee in the morning, a ride to another neighborhood, and of course, recommendations for nearby bar-cafes and restaurants.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

It was sad to see a lot of the shops at Patisiwn street,closed. It is above Victoria square and loved shopping there last time! The owner, luckily gave me easy instructions to get to a better place called Ermou, that was a couple stops away with the Metro & below Sintagma square! There were so many people there and great shopping!! (Still sad about Patisiwn but I found out that they are planning to open new shops there).

I loved the location. I visited Brazil hotel this time last year and the area was a bit dodgy. Victoria square was by far better than I remember it there were so many nice cafes & eating places to enjoy just above the hotel. The staff & owners gave me a warm welcome and made me feel at home straight away. I often travel alone so it's very essential for me as a girl to feel safe & in a family environment.Very impressed with cleanliness, hygiene & how helpful they were to assist with any tourist queries I had. I also like the area downstairs for Internet and coffee. There's a little'Oasis' back yard that you don't want to miss when there, an escape from the city to somewhere tropical. The owner treated me to some coffee & made small talk to check that all well & that I was enjoying my time in Greece& his wife made home cooked delicious breakfast. It's a relatively small hotel but cozy. Definatelly recommended .I'll be back in 3 months! Thank you

not relevant

Super service. The kind of service that real tourists look for. Greek hospitality at its best! You go as a customer and say goodbye as a friend. Clean rooms, a very good location.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

• Superior Room with Spa Bath

The major part of the old city of Athens is a bit deteriorated and neglected by the government

Personal and friendly attention by owner and family operating the hotel

Great location, close to the metro, the Muesum, has good restaurants close by, easy walk into town. Modern, spotlessly clean, quite and comfortable. Staff gave helpful information, accommodated our bicycles and made us feel part of the family. Highly recommend staying here.

A softer mattress would have been much appreciated.

The staff were absolutely great. They were particularly helpful with arrangements when the strike of air traffic controllers was announced.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

Central (very close to Victoria station), stylish (light, bathroom), clean, great welcoming staff, cheap = you can´t get a better deal in Athens! I highly recommend this place to all travelers that want a special unique place to stay.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

the first room that they gave us has a strange smell, but they changed us as soon as we asked with no issues at all

we felt at home. The hotel is owned by a lovely family that insured we had the best time in Athens

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

Unfortunately we had a couple cockroaches in our room and bathroom... I hope it's not very common there.

Staff was lovely! Our best hotel during european trip! It's close to the Victoria metro station, 30 min.walk to the city centre. Area is full of imigrants but was quite safe. Young guy and his mum running the hotel are great people! Very friendly and helpful. We didn't have a fridge in our room, but we could use a fridge next to reception without any problems. After check out we could leave our luggage, stay in a common area or use a toilet (with young guy on the shift).

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

I think everything is perfect !!!!

Actually for the price everything was perfect specially the staff ! You feel like home . Its like they ve known you for years .