Reviews of El Greco Hotel 3 stars

47-49 Theotokopoulou Str, Chania Town, 73100, Greece

#60 of 71 hotels in Chania Town

Didn’t like the room keys on display behind reception. The beds are hard but I think in Greece this is pretty standard. There are no uk tv channels, there is one uk film on at around 10pm each night.

The hotel is at the very beginning of old town so v easy to find but also easy to get around to the rest of town etc. It’s clean and tidy, staff are friendly, air con is really good, breakfast is enough with toast, coffee and yogurt etc. My room overlooked the street and had a small balcony so always interesting to watch the world go by. Nice restaurants nearby.

The room was very comfortable and we had a great private balcony which we put to good use. The hotel was in a great location, very convenient for all that Chania has to offer. In particular the staff were welcoming and very helpful providing great advice about best restaurants and cafes.

Was disappointed that I only found out on checking out , that the hotel had a roof garden .....Receptionist on duty failed to highlight this amenity😒😒 Was disappointed in the price of the room -considering we had a room with no outlook- our outlook was a rear wall and a glimpse of day light - Room #7 is on the ground floor and in the reception area - so some would consider that a bonus ....however if you want to look out to the day light and have a view ....this is not the room for you .

This was a seriously well located hotel in the old town .Quiet , close to everything of interest, maritime museum, water and port , and small , quaint , genuine Greek eateries with ambience, and of course gorgeous alleyways worth roaming where you will stumble across galleries/shops of interest offering classy products made in Greece . (Stay away from the Port area for accomodation - it’s noisy and tacky - full of venues catering to the young party goers) All Staff @ El Greco -very friendly and helpful and when I reported the faulty shower , it was fixed by our return in the afternoon. Breakfast was very good - especially the freshly squeezed orange juice !!! Staff in the breakfast room were very accommodating - 10/10👌👌

Free parking was mentioned, but that was public parking for free. I never reached to get a space, extremely crowded, even off season.

The location was superb, just smack in the old town centre.

Our room was ok. Clean, but the bathroom was awful with the toilet almost in the shower and bed wasn't comfortable. Let just say a little refresh and some small renovations would be a good idea.

Staff was really helpful. Even if one of the employees who was working on the night shift wasn't speaking English, he found someone to help us get all the info we needed for our next morning trip. Breakfasts were really good and the location was perfect to enjoy the little harbour and the good restaurants near the Hotel.

Since This hotel is on the street if you have a room near the balcony. People talking and laughing noises you can hear them. Wifi is not very good quality as well.

Breakfast was having fixed items but good enough to eat. Location is perfect very near to the old town of Chania and harbour and lighthouse. Really love being there, The sea view and lighthouse view was amazing with a short walk

Ideally located comfortable hotel. 24 hour reception ideal if late flight/early departure. Room fine, clean, daily room service fridge and safety deposit box and wifi all included. Breakfast simple but adequate and can be taken in pleasant dining room or sitting at table streetside (pedestrianised) watching the world go by . 2 minute walk down beautiful winding streets to harbour. Competitively priced.

The only thing I have negative to say is that the bathroom was extremely small.

El Greco Hotel has a spectacular location, between streets full of shops and restaurants. Minutes from the old port of Chania. The team was very friendly and the breakfast was good.

The guy behind the desk gave my room key to someone else - I came back to find it missing and a stranger handing it back in. 2 days later I noticed 200 euros had gone missing from my room safe! Go figure... Bathroom was tiny and the shower curtain smelled very badly.

The location was in the old town and very convenient for the bars and restaurants in the old town area. It was very cheap to stay. Buffet breakfast was very basic but adequate.

Great location for the Old Town, car's not allowed along the street. Room was adequate ,comfortable bed, good fridge, breakfast is excellent, the best breakfast coffee, not instant .

Beds were a bit hard. Our room faced a wall and so the room felt very claustrophobic, not somewhere we wanted to spend any time - our children had a lovely room overlooking the street and with a view on the sea.

Friendly staff, nice breakfast. Most of all this is really well placed in the outskirts of the old town so everything is walkable and there is no traffic.

Situated bang in the old city of Chania, with all the important attractions at a walking distance. Its a real value for money. Staff are friendly and helpful

Bathroom was not at all comfortable , it was so small you could have a shower be sitting on the toilet and cleaning your teeth in the basin all in one go ... the shower curtain had a very fusty smell so much we had to keep the extractor fan on nearly all the time . The room needs a serious upgrade as at the moment it is not at all comfortable just functional .

Very clean , lovely staff in breakfast room

The rooms are a bit outdated, but one can notice the efforts to upgrade the accomodation gradually (new curtains, the walls have recently been repainted). The bathroom is clean, but from the 70's.

Hotel is extremelly well located, the neigbourhood is excellent.

There was an issue with a shower head but hotel staff quickly fixed it on the first day of stay and there were no other problems. Also, the manager ordered me a taxi for my night flight.

The only complaints were that the bed was not very comfortable and you could hear people in adjacent rooms.

The view from the room on the top floor was amazing.

Unfortunately the view from my window was a wall, as I was at the back of the property next to some ruins - but I went to Chania to be outside, touring around and spending time at the harbor, so as I was only sleeping there really, it didn't matter!

Nice fresh bread on the breakfast buffet and fruit salad.

The size Of the room was small because they divided the space with a wooden wall. The shower was terrible. There is no elevator to this floor

The staff was nice

Almost everything. The room we were given was on the ground floor at the front on the busy promenade of Old Town. It was noisy both inside and outside the room up until about 1:00 am. The room and bathroom was very tiny - hard to move around in. The bathroom facilities were old, with a cracked sink and poor shower head that sprayed in different directions getting the whole bathroom wet. The picture on-line creates an illusion of more space, though other rooms on the upper floors may be different. The mattresses on the beds were thin, with the ability to feel the spring system through the top. We were told they were new. We asked for another room and were shown one that was even smaller and more awful. It was late when we arrived, so we opted to stay the night. The next morning we expressed our dissatisfaction and were allowed to check out and only pay for the 1 night. (We had booked the room for the full 6 nights we were staying in Chania.) This room might be suitable for college students who are more interested in staying out late and being in the heart of the Old Town streets (the head of the bed is about 4 feet from the pedestrian street walkway). We booked the room 6 months in advance, so it wasn't a late booking where we would have been given the last most undesirable room.

The room was clean and contained essentials. The desk staff were accommodating and pleasant about the change.

There is no elevator to the room.

The hotel is in the old city of Chania and its decorated in the same style - very nice. The hotel is very near the sea and a lot of thinks to do around.

Room 6 had some issues with a mechanical room likely being below part of the room. The floor was almost too hot to stand on in some places and it heated the room to 30 degrees. We needed the AC pumping just to keep the room at a reasonable temperature.

Breakfast was great and the location was ideal.

• Double Room with Sea View

Even though the hotel is really nice, the rooms are simple. Especially the bathroom was very small. We've rented a car for several days but had to park a 10 minute walk away from the distance, as the public parking places nearby were usually occupied.

"El Greco" is a nice hotel right in the old town of Chania. The old port and a lot of taverns are just around the corner! We had a "seaview" room, which was on top of the building with a stunning view over the port and the old town. The service and information was very good, the member of the staff were always friendly and helpful with possible destinations for trips.

Dear Sir, Not changing the towels on daily basis should be mentionned on booking.com, I have paid the whole amount for both rooms during my checkin and no one informed me about this. Now I steped into my room to find out that! Meanwhile the reception lady told me that they change them once every two days! Because they are 3 stars hotel and not 5 stars, well I have been in chania in 2 stars hotel before and they used to change the towels everyday. I have also just arrived from Athens and Rhodes and didn't have to deal with this weird situation. THERE SHOULD BE NO SURPRISES!!! Anyway the lady gave me clean towels today after a long conversation with her but was clear that there will be no clean towels for tomorrow. Meanwhile I will write an appropriate feedback on booking.com and tripadvisor so this won't happen again with new travelers. I am surprised and very disappointed!

The location of the hotel is perfect !!!! The staff is so attentive and kind and gives helpful advices about the different activities in the town and the restaurants! <3

The beds were VERY uncomfortable & we were only given a single pillow that was about an inch thick. The wifi was awful as well and did not work in our room. The walls were also so thin we could hear everything going on outside. I will never stay here again!!!!

I liked the location & service

• Double Room with Sea View

Chania is a really charming town. El Greco is very well situated in the old area of the city, with wonderful views from the upper room that we had. It is not a plush, modern hotel with all the bells and whistles, but we were comfortable, the breakfast was fine, and the staff were very helpful.

• Double Room with Sea View

To sum it up: Horrible bed. Tiny room. Outdated furniture. Misleading fotos of the room on booking.com - in front of our room there was a shared terrace with all guests of the hotel but the foto implicated it was a private terrace. The only window in the room was facing that terrace so everyone outside who wanted to sit on the terrace could look into our room. So no privacy most of the time and since people were sitting there also during the night bringing their drinks we also hardly slept as it was pretty loud outside. During the day however it's too hot for sitting out on the terrace. Funny thing: you actually have to pay more for our room because of the wonderful view as it was explained to us - which we could hardly enjoy as we had to keep the blinds closed all the time not to have people on the terrace constantely looking inside of our room. The bed is a joke, way too small for 2 people. So is the room. As soon as you have your luggage inside of the room you hardly can close the door. We were very happy to leave - not much more to say.

the room I was in didn't have enough storage space. Not much shelf or drawer space for clothes and only a small shelf in the bathroom.

The location was excellent. The roof terrace very pleasant. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Very nice hotel with friendly & helpfull staff. Location is perfect on small pedestrian road and 50m to the famous venetian port of Chania. And 5 min walk to nearest beach. Breakfast very tastfull and good.

So little space it felt claustrophobic and the bed was hard with and not very comfortable. Maybe OK for one or two nights.

This is a budget hotel well situated in the old town. Our room was tiny and look out on to a wall and air conditioning units and the shower room was minuscule but it was clean. Staff were helpful and polite and the lady in the breakfast room worked her socks off. The breakfasts were ok but there was plenty of food if not much choice.

1. We booked a room based on photos selected from the website. The room was nothing like that. It was way too small & depressing. We were promised sea view and all we got was a steamy window with the view of a tall stone wall literally 2 meters away. Anyone with claustrophobia would have a panic attack. 2. The bathroom was way too tiny. If you had a shower the water was going literally everywhere. The curtain was disgusting and every time i had to use the shower i was afraid it would touch me.We hated the idea of having to use the toilet and shower. The sink was so small you couldn't even brush you teeth. 3. No public veranda or anywhere to relax. Only a really small one on the 3rd floor which was outside a flat and had no view and another one a bit bigger (had 4 small round tables) on the 4th floor. The one on the 4th floor was outside two rooms. You couldn't talk or go there late at night because people where sleeping. So we had to stay in that depressing room when we arrived back from our daily activities. 4. No parking is available as they say on their website. Yes there is public parking but it is VERY difficult to find a free spot. We had to go round in circles hoping someone would leave. Imagine doing this after a long day out. Overall i wouldn't even think of booking this hotel again and the money we paid for is way too much for the circumstances.

Good location.

Τhe room was rather small, especially the bathroom. The rooms at the back of the building face the city walls (2,5 m distance), which means that there is no view whatsoever. On the other hand, they are really quiet.

Comfortable bed, excellent location, clean. There is a common balcony and a terrace with a view, to compensate if your room does not have a balcony or a view.

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

Room: 1. the filter of the air conditioner was very dirty. Bathroom: 1. tiny shower space. 2. horrible odor from the shower drain & broken ventilator . Fortunately, the ventilator was repaired the next day.

Pleasant, helpful staff. Location. WiFi.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Shower room with tiny shower space. No plug for the basin. No fresh milk for breakfast. Only Greek TV available.

Location. Pleasant, helpful staff. WiFi. Fresh orange juice, good yoghurt & bread for breakfast. Chairs provided to sit outside for breakfast.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

The rooms were a little drab and the breakfast also was a bit uninspiring - all adequate however.

The reception staff were available 24/7 and were extremely helpful and pleasant. There is a lift which is helpful with luggage - this is better than many bnbs and small hotels in the area where the only way up with luggage is a narrow staircase. The hotel is also on a bigger street just near where a taxi can drop you - so not far to walk in this pedestrian only precinct.

There was a scent of drain in the room when we first entered. Luckily it didnt matter as we had the two huge windows wide open all night and the toilet ventilator going.But might have been a problem had we slept with closed windows and ventilator off. But we didnt want to change the room because it looked out onto the old venetian wall- so close you could almost touch it and so lovely at sunset.

Comfy beds. Big room.Helpful staff. Great location. Good breakfast. Great view of old venetian wall-you could almost touch it. Quiet at night so a good nights sleep. Good price.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

This is definitely not a 3 star hotel, it is extremely average. Even though it is a clean place, it doesn't mean anything: the room was very basic, no decoration whatsoever; nothing special. I stayed in better hotels which never claimed to be 3-stars around this area and the prices were lower (in high season -mid-July/August, I booked this hotel in September) The room was small and the bed was very uncomfortable. The bathroom was tiny and no real shower.

Great location, city center but still quiet Friendly staff There was a reasonably sized elevator The coffee was very good which is very rare for a buffet breakfast 24-hour front desk Very nice restaurant just outside the hotel!

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

Despite the good and central location, rooms could do with some refurb and tlc. The breakfast cereal was stale and the coffee was very very watery and weak.

Good location and cool rooftop (we stayed on top floor).

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

The bed mattress needs replacement. Also, the filter of the aircondition was very dirty.

The perfect location to enjoy the old port of Chania and the beautiful sunset.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

We arrived early morning (7.30) after night flight. Offered breakfast and a space for our bags then called as soon as room was ready to check in -- very good welcome. Varied breakfast inc freshly squeezed orange juice. Nice room. View from rooftop. Close to sea. Def recommend.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

The triple room we booked on the ground floor was dark with no natural light, very hot due to poor air conditioning and not a pleasant room.

One of our rooms at the top of the hotel was great with a beautiful roof terrace.

Lovely central location, frimdly and informative staff...delicious and plentiful breakfast

Should have more accessories in the bathroom like hairdryer, a holder for soap, shampoo etc

The room smelt like moisture. Bathroom and shower were incredibly small and impractical.

Rooms and bath looks not very fresh...still ok but small refurbishment would have positive impact.

Location, friendly staff

Good

Wifi was weak in my room.

The location was good. The staff was friendly and helpful. Very good breakfast.

Family running Hotel - Pleasant and helpfull staff. Good location in the old town of Chania

• Double Room with Sea View

Very small quaint hotel in the town near everything just as I expected

Very small bedroom and bathroom.

Wonderful location close to the main attractions. Easy free car parking.

THE SMELLY BATH ROOM AND THE POSITION OF THE FRIDGE

I WILL GO AGAIN WHENEVER I VISIT CHANIA.

Sound from the hallway.

Nice and friendly staff. Great location.

the beds was to hard...my husband did not sleep well...

Wery god location

The beds weren't extra comfy and smoke wafted up from street below. Otherwise a lovely place

No hairdryer in room.No kettle in room.

On our first night we were in a room with a very small bathroom and no view, without asking they offered us a much better room the next morning.

Nothing. Loved it all

Everything was perfect. The location, the room, the staff, the breakfast. Everything

Would like softer beds as the beds were very hard.

Walking distance to everything. Loved the location.

Tiny bathroom

Location Staff

Excellent value for money in a prime location. The staff were friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay there again.

• Double Room with Sea View

The Views and location are superb!!

Very good local breakfast. And fresh orange juice was perfect 😗

No lift

In the heart of the old town

Very friendly and helpful staff

Poor breakfast options .

The cleaning lady is doing a fantastic job . The room was spotless clean every day !

Rooms are small and smelly

Great location. Pretty cheap place

there is no private parking. there is a public area parking which is hard to find a parking spot after 7pm.

super location. nice staff

EXCELLENT IN ALL ASPECTS

Very helpful staff and excellent location with an easy walk to the old town and main sights.

no view

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Double Room with Sea View

I like this hotel lokation - always choose a hotel in this area when I visit Chania. I like the terrace, but not the room. Breakfast is simple.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

There are no comments available for this review

poor breakfast

the balcony was very beautiful

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Rooftop terrace and location.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

A little more homemade for breakfast.

Location near port, in old town and near beach. Easy walks to very good restaurants. Staff was great.