Reviews of Grand Serai Congress and Spa 5 stars

Dodonis 33, Ioannina, 45332, Greece

#20 of 34 hotels in Ioannina

Bad experience

I go to ioannina every year and would never go back here. Positives is it’s location and parking ( If you are lucky ) Strike one When we checked in the lady at the desk was very rude . I am able to speak Greek and English but she was nasty . I had forgotten to choose 2 people instead of 1 and I immediately apologized and gladly payed the difference obviously that wasn’t good enough for her . Strike Two Parking was very difficult, they had an event going on and had to park in the basement which is understandable, but at night had to call for someone to open the door then the whole thing was with no light !!!! Literally had to use my cell phone light ! And even some of the hallways were there same. Strike Three As someone who has Multiple Sclerosis the heat can bother me , The AC wasn’t working now this system is like your normal hotel AC where you control the temperature. No biggie I thought it happens , I let them know about the problem and told them while I was out they are more than welcome take a look. We returned and it was working in the middle of the night it stopped again we had to open the balcony door and we got bit by mosquitoes . Next morning they tell us not to worry the problem is downstairs same thing next night again! I’m not a AC mechanic but the only way that makes sense to me if they are able to control the unit because how does something work and stop at night and no one needs to come upstairs and check ? My last night I gave up and just slept with my balcony door open. Ioannina is a magical place I visit my family a 3 days every year , I hope I was just unfortunate and this just happened to me and my fiancée (which did not leave a good first impression on her) I have never argued or complained about getting a refund looking back I should have. For all the travelers enjoy your stay in Ioannina S

Good but not perfect.

Politeness of staff. Spa was closed during summer and not mentioned in web.

Spacy room and beautiful pool. Very atmospheric design of hotel and room decoration.

Nice, could be better.

The air conditioning (fan coil) unit was quite loud, its controls very old fashioned and bit hard to understand and on the second day no cooling was available (maybe the chiller was off). After fiddling with the buttons for a bit we gave up. In the bathroom I had a very hard time to figure out how to use the shower function, as pulling a very small/short lever on the tub was required. Impossible to do this with soap on my hands - very frustrating! Also, the toilet/paper were installed too close to the floor, being >1,90m was a bit problematic for me.

Excellent location, only a couple of minutes from the centre. Staff was helpful. Breakfast was OK. The mattress was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Good hotel at great location but not 5-star

Spa is closed on Sundays! Shaky wifi. Very small tv. Breakfast, although varied, did not feel very fresh.

Great location. Nice pool. Big restaurant by the pool where breakfast takes place.

An excellent place to stay in Ioannina

The hotel has a history as we were informed it used to be a real 'Seray' in the past. The architecture of the hotel is great and you experience a piece of the history of Ioannina there. The rooms were clean and so chic. The staff was polite and helpful, especially the guy at the reception. The food was delicious and it was a combination of local cuisine with international one. The hotel is in a central location near to the main attractions of the city. We were allowed to have a late check-out for free. I definitely will recommend as a perfect place to stay in Ioannina.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

I would like to say a few words about the staff.

The breakfast is poor and its far from to considering a " 5 stars" Finally , they do not yet have the experience needed for hotels on an international level

I would like to say a few words about the staff. professional. always available very kindly

For this price of one night stay, I was expecting to have...
    • Executive Double Room

For this price of one night stay, I was expecting to have access to the pool throughout the day, not only between 11am and 7pm. That made it unusable for my wife and me. Restaurant was open for dinner after 8pm so it turned out we had to go elsewhere or to wait for it to open. I think I am not expecting much if I expect amenities to be accessible throught the day in a 5* hotel.

Lovely hotel at a great lake city location.
    • Executive Double Room

Room towels should be changed more often.

Very nice hotel. Great location. Free car parking. Great lake and mountain views from our balcony!!! Good breakfast combining local and international cuisine. Polite staff.

Near city center.
    • Executive Double Room

Asked for double bed but given two singles. Reserved executive room but on first day was given basic room. Complained the next day and changed to a not so clean room on the upper floors. Asked for refund due to the allocation of not correct room in the first day and got a deduction via booking.

Near city center.

Executive room fails to deliver on website promises
    • Executive Double Room

On booking it states there would be a welcome drink for us for an executive room. There wasn't--we thought maybe two small bottles of water in the room were complimentary but they charged us two euros for each. Also, the website stated that executive rooms have a " Lake view - Pool view - Garden/Mountain view" but instead we got a parking lot view (photo attached). When I asked for a lake view, as this is why I had upgraded to an executive room, I was told there are at any time two such rooms only, and they were booked. I think the price should be different for rooms with such poor view on city side as location and view are why this hotel claims to be five stars and also why I upgraded to an executive lured by the website photos of lake view rooms.

The rooms were large and comfortable and cleaning staff was attentive.

The Grand Dame that has lost her flame

The lack of basic bathroom amenities i.e. toothbrush and shaver. When asked staff said was hotel policy not to provide. When spoke with GM Mr Papagiogo, his answer was similar with a very pompus attitude

The buffet breakfast was good spread. Bed is comfortable and guys at the driveway directing traffic were very helpful

The twin beds were in reality just one double bed with a...

The twin beds were in reality just one double bed with a division in the middle. There is only one elevator, which can lead to long waiting times to get up & down

An excellent 5 star hotel.

The hotel was very clean, with excellent facilities. The polite staff was more than helpful and although one of the days was full, there was no problem during breakfast. They were trained to do their job well. The variety of the breakfast was one of the best in 5 star hotels. The quality was excellent and the quantity as well. I fully recommmend this hotel.

location.

The indoor pool is not allowed to children. The TV on the room was extra small, about 20-21" and has just a few channels.

location. Room size, friendly staff, good breakfast.

Negative stay experience ...
    • Executive Double Room

No signage for the underground car park. There was no staff to pick up the luggage, we looked for it. The room, we stayed in Executive room, need repairs to the floors or renovation. Poor sound insulation, we kept listening to the adjoining rooms and outside noise. The mini bar haven’t drinks and snacks or chocolates. The afternoon staff in reception is unacceptable. Theft in the room, my glasses of myopia. No information from the hotel's deputy about the course of the investigations he made, about the theft, or from the reception staff at the time of departure. The staff at breakfast was unacceptable, we were asking for natural juice and they telling “you go to the buffet to get”, where there was juice unnatural. Fortunately the breakfast manager served us. Although we informed reception about the heating throughout our stay, the room was cold because there was no warming than 19 ° C air temperature as our digital thermometer showed. Being a five-star hotel has to prove it in practice and not on the forms. We regret why I had another view, fortunately there are better options in the area.

Only the decoration in the reception areas and in the lobby.

5 star? I think not!

The hotel standards are not 5 star, they are advertising this based on the type of building and they may have been a 5 star rating years ago. Our bedroom was old not maintained at all the hairdryer for instance was taped up over the controls and was fastened into the wall socket, health and safety night mare. The shower was old and broken the lime scale around bath and shower had been there for years. The old wood toilet seat was broken and kept sliding off the bowl, we asked for them to fix it?? The weather outside was beautiful, we picked the hotel so that we could relax in the afternoon for a couple of hours in the grounds however the hotel had put away the outside furniture as it was winter they said and although the weather was still exceptionally warm we would have enjoyed the pool area to read but the staff would not fetch out any furniture? 5 star? You would have presumed that they would want to oblige their paying guests. Breakfast only full fat milk, for cereal etc when I asked for an alternative they said they had a light version. This however would not be a option for me as I am dairy intolerable, I did not expect them to have a milk alternative in but did expect them to offer to get it in for the forthcoming days? 5 star? I think not!. In the room it advertised afternoon tea in the grounds the first 3 days this was the case, but on our fourth day it did not materialise. On that particular fourth day my partner had gone out and I decided to go into the grounds on his return to the hotel, he couldn't get to me in the grounds to meet me as the hotel had locked all the door telling him he couldn't come into the grounds for security reasons, he could see me there and pointed out that I was his partner they hasn't noticed me at all, security? Again 5 star I think not.

The location of the hotel was centrally positioned for the city centre.

Lovely hotel - friendly staff - great location - would come back again!

It would have been nice if the windows could open a bit more.

I greatly appreciated the efficient and friendly valet service for parking my car - it made it much easier for me not having to find a space to park outside. The hotel staff were always friendly and helpful. Unfortunately I never got the chance to eat at the restaurant in the hotel so cannot comment on that. The room was lovely - very spacious, clean, comfortable bed etc... I would definitely stay there again.

Excellent location and suitable both for business and for family stays
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Vert good structure in convenient location for those traveling by car, excellent parking facilities, quiet area walking distance from the center. Very good breakfast (though less good than one/two years ago)

Not what I except from a 5-star...
    • Executive Double Room

Limited parking space, had to wait for a parking space to empty. Although I had an executive room it had no lake view. No printer at commom PCs, had to ask at the reception every time I needed a print. I would except more local food in the room service menu. Poor wifi speed and connection signal.

Great breakfast, very kind personnel

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

The rooms were great, location great.

The Spa, I booked an aromatherapy massage and ended up with deep tissue. They also told me they were closed on Tuesday which was a surprise and disappointing as this was one of the reasons we booked the hotel.

The rooms were great, location great.

Nice hotel, good location.

There must be a change in the way they serve breakfast's coffee. They are too slow in serving and they serve only one cup per person even in filtered coffee.

The breakfast and dinner buffet was rich in variety and with good quality. The room nice and clean. The location of the hotel convenient.

Great grand stay but 2 major no-noes!

Ok. Big no-no. The wifi signal was very weak and I had to use my mobile data. Unacceptable. Also another big negative was that there was no parking space available for our car as stated "free parking" ! The hotel had way more rooms than parking spaces, so at least dont advertise the free parking. Thankfully there was almost always available parking in the nearby streets. But still. No-no.

I really enjoyed the heavy classic design of the hotel; navy carpets and dark wood, crazy big chandeliers,all very grand! Breakfast was excellent! I also appreciated the cleaning staff. We stayed for 3 nights and our room was cleaned 5 times :)

Good but for the money we paid, we should have used the pool

[1] We could have had more things offered to us in the bathroom [2] We visited the hotel in june and my children could not swim in the pool! Why?

[1] Very generous breakfast [2] Very helpful staff [3] Clean and beautiful rooms

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Definitely style (if you can call it that) over substance - not worth it.

Ridiculous overdone decor in the rooms. I was given an upgrade to an "executive room". There was absolutely NOTHING executive about this room. Kitsch decor, outdated bathroom, MOLD along the rim of the shower/bath tub, not much useful for water glasses- only two mardi gras looking huge wine goblets , poorly stocked and incredibly overpriced refrigerator in room - 2 euros for a small bottle of water - 500 ml. Bed and bed lighting not very nice. Sheets and duvet poor quality. Towels were obviously sent out to a large service for laundering - rough and old in desperate need of fabric softener. Ridiculous morning breakfast buffet with nothing in it other than a miserable alevropita that had been sitting out too long as something to represent the local food culture. Miles of buffet trays of very mediocre breakfast food - coffee substandard. This place puts style (gaudy style) over substance. I hear there are nicer smaller hotels nearby which I will check out on my next trip to Ioannina. Oh, and outdated air conditioning/heating in room. No instructions to use a very old climate control in room. The whole hotel seriously needs renovation if they want to compete for foreign tourists. So Grand Serai is a Grand Rip Off. Never again.

Location close to the old city (castle) and on the main center street.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

Breakfast!

Breakfast! You can not diluted with water a juice with conservants!!!!!! Years ago, in this hotel, the orange juice was natural freshly squeezed. And, in the bathroom, the shampoo and the gel douche were Hermes.

Dont visit the place on long weekends and dont spent money for this hotel's crap breakfast

Breakfast room was full and staff incapable of serving residents. Room's bathtub was small, could have had shower tab instead. Room service was poor, didnt refill shampoos

Rooms were clean

Our Stay at GRAND SERAI HOTEL CONGRESS and Spa exceeded our expectations

Nothing significant to advise .

The Hotel is located very near to the Airport - (abt 10 minutes) and a walking distance from the city center - shopping center - restaurants and the Lake - The Hotel itself is very well maintained , stylish entrance lobby and rooms. The stuff is EXCELLENT , in reception , service , and cleaning . The room which was provided was very large , stylish , and comfortable - The interior decoration is magnificent . Bath was equally large and great. The breakfast was very good and with plenty varieties . The service and quality equally excellent . We have enjoyed every single moment in that Hotel including the Easter dinner and Easter launch/celebration party . I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is interested to visit Ioannina with his family.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

The room and general hotel decoration was very interesting.

Breakfast was comparatively poor and in order to have it near the pool where there was more light you had a to be in a space where smoking was allowed!!!

The room and general hotel decoration was very interesting.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

Excellent staff, excellent place but poor breakfast

Actually there was no breakfast. We faced empty plates on the buffet and when we asked the staff, they informed us that the only choice was to order to them. When we asked them to bring us some breakfast they served us a small plate with ONE slice of cheese cut in two pieces and ONE slice of ham also cut in two pieces. Despicable breakfast and depressing atmosphere in a luxurious 5star hotel, which has excellent staff and had also excellent breakfast in the past.

The staff was excellent and really helpful. Always positive and smiling. The premises are very beautiful and the price really value for money.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Very convenient location at the centre of the city.

The staff was completely unprofessional without any interest for the guest. We requested to participate at the new year's eve dinner, but they refused due to the late information. Even they did not respond immediately but let us wait for hours to get an answer. Finally we noticed that their only interest was to use us as a back up solution in case some other guests would cancel. They called us in an impolite way because we delayed the check out by an hour and thirty minutes, on a day that at least half of the rooms were empty. Normally this is not the service you expect from a hotel which charges your stay for 200 euros per night. The hotel was supposed to have a parking space, but in fact that was not even enough for the 1/3 of the guests. Overall I would not select Grand Serai in the future again.

Very convenient location at the centre of the city.

Low value for too much money
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Small rooms with very moderate bathrooms, CRT TV(!) and very old design. I had expected way more when I decided to pay 170€ per night for a superior double room.

Convenient location on the way to the city center. Beautiful spa facilities. Friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

Big comfortable room.

We faced a problem with the bathtub draining. We have been told that they are going to fix it promptly but no one visited the room. We fixed it with a hack. Found human hair between the sheets.

Big comfortable room. Good breakfast. Location.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

Great hotel, great staff
    • Executive Double Room

Everything was great! Maybe an espresso coffee machine in room is missing for people who like coffee

A really five stars hotel.People in Ioannina city must be proud for this . Facilities,decoration,location,staff,breakfast,spa,room service...

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

Overall good!

No double bed.. just two twin beds put together... its a shame because if you just shift your weight in between they will split apart :-(

Location, staff, cleanness, breakfast!

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

- The Staff ware very helpful
    • One-Bedroom traditional suite

- Our room was near to the lobby. The environment was to noisy until night hours. - The breakfast and the dinner were below average for 5 stars hotel. The breakfast was without fresh juices, dinner with many canned products.

- The Staff ware very helpful

Very convinient area. I would visit again.

The matressess.

very good breakfast. Poor matress. Very big room. The parking in the basement was a bit difficult to find through the hotel.

Spacious room

Very noisy air condition

Spacious room

The price was reasonable but this was not a 5 star hotel

Single beds are way too narrow. AC broke down

Location, views, staff
    • Executive Double Room

First room, air con did not work, but on reporting this we were moved immediately to another room, where air con was perfect.

Location, views, staff

Just about everything.

Just about everything.

the romm is not clean

the romm is not clean

Luxurious stay

Slow WiFi

Everything.

Very soft and uncomfortable mattress (old?) and pillows.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Very soft and uncomfortable mattress (old?) and pillows. Dark corridors with insufficient lighting.

Big rooms and comfortable.

The hotel needs renovation. It is very expensive and not at all value for money

Big rooms and comfortable. Very good breakfast.

An ideal lace to stay when one visits Ioannina/Yanya

Heavily decorated with very old type of furnitures

The location and breakfast

Poor property, poor breakfast

Not worth the price

Poor property, poor breakfast

Nice Hotel
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The Wifi in the room was a disaster, I was in the 1st floor.

The hotel is in a good location just 5 min from the city center, the staff very friendly.

Location, facilities,good breakfest

Long time for hotwater in rooms

Location, facilities,good breakfest

Great atmosphere with friendly staff

The rooms needs some upgrades

In general the hotel was good and comfortable

Staff was really nice
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Sound insulation is really bad. I could hear all the rooms on the floor.

Staff was really nice

Ok

Not really 5 star. Overrated 4 star hotel

Nice city hotel

Very good .

Wi-Fi in the room poor connection

Location, cleaning,every things quite.
    • Executive Double Room

Matter of bed not confort

Location, cleaning,every things quite.,staff,breakfast , space of room

perfect

the price

the food and the location

Everything good

Everything good

Normal

It wasn't easy to find parking place. There was no free welcome drink upon arrival.

Too expensive for what it offers.
    • Executive Double Room

Air conditioning too noisy.

Staff, decorations and breakfast.

Great breakfast!

Great breakfast! Kind stuff!

Great hotel with great location

Sea view was a little disappointing

Staff,hygiene, location

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Staff.

I had to pay additional coast for the usage of the pool and I wasn't informed about that before making the reservation.

Staff.

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

no next time for us
    • Executive Double Room

dinner was horrible they start preparing an event near our balcony @ 06:00 making noise and wake us up

room was nice

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

Exelent hotel!

Exelent hotel!high recommend !

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

Highly recommended hotel

Breakfast and room decoration

Spa facilities and easy access to the city center

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

An excellent choice when in Ioannina

The parking sequence takes too much time.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

To spa than pagwmeno den axize

To spa than pagwmeno den axize

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Friendly& coisy

There is no witer sweaming pool.

Very good breakfast. Nice rooms.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

Superb

Terrible internet speed, less than 1Mbps.

Luxury, breakfast, staff

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

I really enjoyed the staying there

Fantastic

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Very good weekend break

Small gym, spa access and prices

Excellent location and clean hotel

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Although the room was excellent and we have request 1 large...

Although the room was excellent and we have request 1 large double bed unfortunately we found that was equipped with two single bed (2x130cm).

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

Excellent!

Excellent! Everything was perfect.

• Reviewed: 9 May 2016

Elegant, luxurious, staff wonderful, great location in...

Elegant, luxurious, staff wonderful, great location in Ioannina, rooms spacious and just very special and unique. Breakfast had everything you could want and more. Would love to return.

• Reviewed: 8 May 2016

The room was nice and spacious.

The hotel is not well catered for families with children. We were at first refused entry to the pool, which is not a policy indicated on booking.com (after we complained, we were accepted as a matter of exception). Moreover, there is no place to take care of babies in the hotel (to change diapers), so you end up on the floor and quite frustrated.

The room was nice and spacious. The breakfast was of a high standard and we appreciated the local specialities. The staff was of a high level.

• Reviewed: 19 April 2016

The food was good and the comfort too

I did not like the wooden ceiling because of the smell of wood.I changed room and it was ok. I think the use of the pool ought to be free of charge

The food was good and the comfort too

• Reviewed: 16 February 2016

the bed was comfortable , clean.

small tv in the room, air conditioning system does not function, the spa services not available for clients of the hotel, I was waiting more...

the bed was comfortable , clean...

There are also 63 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.