Reviews of Hotel Mathios 3 stars

Off Main Street, Akrotiri, 84700, Greece

#30 of 46 hotels in Akrotiri

Nothing, the hotel meets all expectations!

The staff at the hotel absolutely lovely nothing is too much trouble! They assisted us with everything from transfers to renting a car. We were also given a free upgrade on arrival which was a lovely touch! Had the best stay here.

We had a great welcome and being upgraded is always a bonus (and doesn’t happen very often). The room was very clean. Breakfast was perfectly adequate. The staff were very friendly and efficient. A credit to Kostas. Located directly by a bus stop, it was very easy to travel anywhere on the island.

At some point in his early career the owner/manager must have worked at a well-known fast food outlet for he was always keen to sell extra ... he persuaded me to rent a car for two days initially promising a discount, going back on his word thereafter and of course, it had to be a cash transaction (ATM is next door ...). The car I got was a beat-up old Fiat Panda for Euro 39.00 per day. It was delivered EMPTY with just enough petrol to get me to the gas station a kilometer away ... You could not get any of the gears in - I had to put on the hazard lights several times as it was impossible to move the car - to get any value from the handbrake I had to pull it up to my armpit and the clutch was on its last legs. The tours offered by the hotel are sold at gigantic prices with the manager always complaining how little he makes on each - top tip: make your way into Fira, rent a car from an international rental agency and shop around for tours. I found a fab one for Euros 20.00 (volcano and hot springs) as opposed to a sunset tour on a catamaran for Euro 115.00. At Village Mathios it is all thought through - you can have a free welcome drink on your first night at 7:00 pm (the intent being you are staying for dinner - not that special in my opinion). I had had a drink at a different time (but NO welcome drink) and was charged for it. My request for a room with a pool view was met with an offer that I should pay more - this is not advertised on ther Booking listing - all in all I have had far superior welcomes on my trips around Greece.

It is a clean and nice little hotel with individual accommodation, mostly set around a pleasant pool with a good breakfast in the morning. The place is close to the site of prehistoric Akrotiri - be warned: admission to the site is Euro 12.00 and frankly it ain't worth it. I studied classical archaeology at uni and felt I was looking at a vast building site - nothing had been left in situ. The bus connections are great so a car rental only makes sense if you are a little pressed for time. I rented a car to go up to Ancient Thera though the hotel manager claimed it would be too stressful for me as I did not know the roads. The roads are fine but note: It is blowing a gale up there at the best of times so do take a jacket or similar - you will be pleased you brought it. Some people walk up but this is a big undertaking and if you do decide to walk, take PLENTY of water - better to drive - no bus service to the site and it is closed on Mondays!!! For all history buffs: The prehistory museum in Fira is ace!! Do not miss it -it is fabulous and gets you away from the crowds!!!!

Take a portable electric kettle if you like to make a cup of tea (though beverages are available from the restaurant). Avoid rooms facing the road, although it isn't a busy road, cars do pull in to the shop next door. I wouldn't recommend the nearest beaches - Akrotiri & Balos Bay - for bathing. Red Beach, with stunning red cliffs, is better for bathing, but you need to be sure-footed to negotiate the path down to the beach. Volcanic black sand on all of them.

Friendly staff. My room was cleaned & fresh towels supplied daily. I liked my little patio facing the pool. The pool was great after a days walking or sightseeing. Very good location in a quiet village. A 15 minute walk to ancient Akrotiri archaeological site & Akrotiri Beach where there are several excellent tavernas. Just across the road from the hotel a beach with one of the best views of the whole caldera for which the island is famous. Bus stop opposite hotel. Handy mini supermarket next door. Hotel has its own good restaurant.

The room was a bit dark.

Very nice place with a friendly atmosphere, you feel like at home. Nice swimming pool where you can have also breakfast or meals. Very close to Akrotiri village where you have more food options. Free parking. The owner is very much helping with information on excursions and activities.

Somewhat few breakfast options but ok.

Friendly staff. Small cozy secluded beach nearby with good restaurant. Good atmosphere. You can rent a quad to go to the famous places with good view.

There was a power-outage one night and the bright back-up light in the room couldn't be turned off. Would be nice for the room interior to be upgraded.

We were given a larger room with a pool view as we arrived later than planned due to travel delays, this was appreciated. The hotel is located close to beaches and there's a nice view of the Caldera from across the road. Cozy dining area by the pool and good home-made meals for dinner. We enjoyed our stay, the staff was friendly and Mr. Kostas gave us some recommendations to make the most of our visit!

The proprietor supplied us with a car rental which was very old and with insufficient seats at a significantly inflated price compared to pre-booking.

Cleanliness, the balcony view, nice atmosphere, good location, good pool area, good evening meal menu, reasonably priced for the area.

The manager is terrible,he wanted us to change rooms 2 times because he overbooked the hotel,afterwards he wanted to charge us 45€ from the hotel to the airport,even though a taxi is only 20€! You definitely get less than what you pay for and he just wants to get more money out of you!

the place as a whole is tastefully designed. i liked the location of the hotel and the convenience of having a place to eat and drink by the pool, it makes a difference when you have a child. the Caldera beach is nearby and if you're not lazy you can easily hike it down.

• Family Room

The owner and staff of the hotel are very friendly and helpful. There is always smile on their face whenever you see them.Mr Vitaly is such a kind and friendly person, very approachable, he made us felt that we are always having the best time in our stay in this hotel, he treated us like a family .

As good as any five star hotel. Best service I've received for a hotel. Beautiful room, pool and property. The on site restaurant and bar were fantastic. Excellent quality but very low price. I highly recommend.

The location is very far away, the bus comes every hour or so but then when you go, you can't come back because the is no transportation left.

The staff is very nice and the hotel is OK, the rooms are very clean.

The connection to the Internet was a little bit unstable.

Thanks Mathios Team! It was great! The whole team, from the reception, waiters, cleaning ladies... very friendly. The cleaning team made a great job! They clean every day AND just everything! The waiters at the restaurant work hard and pay good attention even when the restaurant is full. The women from the reception, so friendly! Kostantinos (Boss ;-)) best advices for Restaurnts on the Island, what ever you need, he get it, and he gets it right! The location is also great. Next to the Hotel is a small Market, and you are away from the big Tourist rush like Tira. We will come back, thats for sure !

Mathios was absolutely incredible, we loved our stay so much we were so lucky to extend. The food was amazing a real great. Kotos really made our stay as when we arrived helped us with transportation and a lovely boat cruise. The vibe in Mathios is relaxing which is exactly what we were looking for. My partner and I are already looking forward to coming back

The owner was very pushy and wanted things in cash... the pool is only suited for elderly people as the staff don't like any fun around the pool. We were moved half way through the stay and made to believe that we were doing them a favour. The breakfast was basic.

Nice swimming pool and little pool bar. Bed were comfortable. The location was quiet with access to local restaurants and beach.

I liked everything

My husband and I just loved this little quiet gem of a place, the owner Kostas and every single one of the staff deserve a great big thank you. They would do anything for you nothing was any bother. The Mathios had its own lovely labelled bottled wine red and white, which of course went with all the lovely dishes. Although The Hotel is in Akrotiri and may seem a little bit out of the way the bus stop is just outside the front door and is only 2 Euro and a nice little 15/20 minute journey into Fira. The buses are every 30 minutes and from Fira you you can go anywhere on the island for the same price.Kostas has a travel agency as well and will organise all your trips, hire cars, mopeds etc. Akrotiri village is a couple of minutes walk with 5 restaurants and 2 little supermarkets for all your needs.If you are looking for a nice reasonably priced peaceful relaxing place with a pool and quiet background Greek music with easy access to the island I would suggest try it. If I am ever to return to Santorini I would certainly stay here, why not!

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

The hotel is a family run business with staff that go the extra mile to accommodate guests, you are made to feel at home rather than just a number, the traditional home-cooking was especially fantastic. The hotel manager Kostas was always around ensuring we were comfortable and had everything that we needed, he also recommended a fantastic catamaran excursion which we thoroughly enjoyed.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Breakfast was ok but can be improved not enough parking

we originally wasn't happy to sleep in a separate single bed. We changed room and paid extra 30 euro per night. Happy with the firm bed.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Staff was super friendly and helped us plan our excursion to the volcano. Breakfast and welcome drinks included! Spacious bathroom and room with nice patio.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Costas and his family run a beautiful, clean and comfy hotel. They are very helpful when organising activities, rental cars and airport transfers, would happily stay here again. Thank you for a wonderful stay in Akrotiri

A few more vegan options at the breakfast.

Really lovely hotel, the staff are very friendly and helpful. Everything is clean and they provide a fabulous service. I would recommend and stay again.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

the hotel is near the venitian castle of Akrotiri where an association called "la Ponta" présents amazing mixture of mythology and music instrument : THis deserves beeing point out !

The owner was really willing to help; the food was good and wifi was free !

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

The restaurant food was not good. I ordered a "veal steak" that turned out to be an overcooked piece of beef.

Beauty of facility and helpfulness of staff.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

Not much the area is quiet but nice away from the crowds of Fira and oia. We rented a little scooter from the hotel to travel around and it was ideal and very cheap.

The receptionist and owner were very helpful for any queries we had about any thing and gave us advice on where to visit etc.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

• Honeymoon Suite

I liked everything!

The owner (Kostas) was very attentive and made sure our time in Santorini was amazing. It would have been a much different trip had he not guided us and ALL of his suggestions were spot on. Beds were comfy and rooms were very clean. I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Family Room

The breakfast can be much better, but as I just eat bread, cheese, cooked egg and some coffee, It's ok for me. Don't wait for natural orange juice or a homemade cake.

It's a great hotel. It's not a luxury place but cost/benefit very good. Olga, in the reception is very polite and helpful. It's very clean, the bed is good. I can say it's excellent for Kids: big swimming pool! We visit Oia, Imerovigli, Kamari, Perissa. For our family it was a good choice because Oia is too crowd, Imerovigli is too expensive and both are far from the beaches. As we rent a car it was easy to go to Perissa, Kamari and Red Beach from the hotel. Besides that, personally, and it is very personal I prefer to see the sunset quietly in Akrotiri than in a crowd Oia.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

Great location. The staff was wunderful and helpful. The homemade cuisine was delicious; especially the fresh fish by Costa. The rooms and the whole area were very clean at all times. I can highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a peaceful place without the trouble of Firá.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

The breakfast was poor and cheap quality. The owner was very Respectless and rude, profit was his only interest. After the way he treat us, I can't believe how that man can make business.

The pool was great

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

The manager is a really kind person and he helps a lot in discovering the island and to address any kind of inconvinience. Upgraded us to lux room for 3 days out of 4. Suggested.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

Very personalised service and always willing to go the extra mile to make our holiday even better. Food is also of an excellent standard with lots of freshly prepared local cuisine on offer at a very high standard. Mr Costas and Olga are always happy to help!

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

The manager is rude with no ability to speak with customers. This hotel is not family friendly when the children were playing in the pool they were told not to play games and not to swim loudly. It is a swimming pool open to all members staying in the hotel if he does not like noise from swimming maybe he shouldn't have a pool. When confronted about his ridiculous issues he may have had, the manager Costa was very aggressive and began yelling. I paid money for the hotel I did not come to live for free that is no way to talk to customers. In addition to this he even threatened us that he would force us out of the hotel when we reacted by saying we'd be happy to leave if he refunded the payment he slammed his chair and left. Did not meet him or any other staff until check out when the receptionist rudely asked for the swimming towels (which they also charge 2 euros for) back when the room cleaner had already taken them. Avoid eating at the restaurant if you even consider staying here and always ask for the correct prices first we were greeted by a nice hefty bill on the first night then avoided it. Don't rely on wifi they have 4 different wifis all of them are bad.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

The bed was very very firm so had to put duvet underneath, however staff then replaced with mattress toppers. Also my friend would have liked some toast in the morning, we have advised Kostas of this.

Great location, happy, welcoming and helpful staff. Room was great, very clean, and great view from balcony. Good selection of food and good value for money. Advised of best places to visit and transport/ car hire. Lovely pool and very relaxing. Nothing was too much trouble.

• Reviewed: 3 July 2016

• Standard Triple Room

Hotel owner was very helpful. He took care of arranging car rental, and boat trip to the volcano and was very knowledgable of the island. The breakfast was a traditional Greek breakfast and the dinner was the best in town. Nice family ran hotel. We would definitely stay there again.

No nightlife, and the room looked old.

The pool, the owner of the hotel was quite helpful. And the food was like a homemade food.

It is perfect in every way

Friendly staff you feel like home

• Suite - Loft (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Everything was perfect, though the rooms could have a wider shower room and better internet connection in the room.

• Standard Triple Room

wifi was a little weak.

the staff were incredible, so welcoming and very helpful.

Many thanks to the staff of the Hotel and especially to Mr. Kostas and Mrs Eygenia for the hospitality.

I was treated like a queen, very friendly staff and Kosta is just magical! All did everything to make my stay as comfortable as possible.

Really friendly and accommodating staff!

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

The quality of the services provided by the owner and his staff. The swimming pool The vicinity to the Red Beach The calm of the place

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

Had a lovely stay, Kostos and his staff looked after us very well.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

The staff was great, loved the service!

• Reviewed: 17 September 2015

Bed was upstairs which was challenge to climb up/down (but I think there might be rooms with bed not on extra floor) and shower could be bit bigger. Other things were good. We missed parties at night e.g. 1-2x per week but on the other side you can sleep without music playing all night so it's pro&con at the same time. :) Hotel was overally good value for money and I will recommend it for sure to friends/family as a good choice.

Nice quiet location, we got free upgrade to better room with sea view, clean, we loved the swimming pool and pool area to relax or eat. Few steps from hotel on the other side of a road is amazing caldera sunset view. Multiple nice beaches are very close to the hotel. As well Akrotiri port when we got easily to popular white/red...beaches. Hotel staff is nice, they advise, provide maps etc or book the trip for you. We took a trip with small speed boat and it was lovely. Supermarket is right next to hotel and except hotel restaurant by pool there are some other with caldera view around the hotel. We had car since we landed which I recommend and parking was good infront of the hotel or few steps on the other side we found free spot every day.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2015

nothing!

Fantastic place! First week of August my girlfriend and I stayed in the Mathios Village for our holiday, the place is wonderful and welcoming. The position of the Village in Akrotiri is perfect to go to the beautiful beaches and to visit the characteristics villages of Santorini. Thanks for all to Kostas and Popi!!!

• Reviewed: 28 July 2015

Me and my girlfriend had 2 great weeks at Hotel Mathios. The staff were absolutely fantastic! Vassili, Kostas and Popi are all extremely helpful, kind and fun! The hotel and its rooms were really nice and clean. Really close to the pool and its nice pool-bar, with the best waiter Vasilli! We had a great vacation and can really recommend this hotel for others who will visit Santorini. We'll come back someday :)

• Reviewed: 19 July 2015

No water in the room and when we to buy some from the hotel bar they had one small bottle we arrived late and we're very thirsty. As we were thirsty at breakfast we wanted water and when we went to poor it there was some sort of algae that came out. Breakfast was very poor and there weren't enough tables and chairs. To top it off there was a sign saying if you are around the pool bring back your plates and there's a few to eat in your room I thought that was quite rude. Provide enough space. The owner runs a travel agency as well. He's a bit over the top controlling everything to do with prices so when it's busy it's a long wait. He also pressures you into making a decision very fast probably has something to do with his prices being higher than every where else ie on transfers and car hire. He actually gave me anxiety. We went for this and paid 60euro more due to the reviews we should have gone to the others and saved our sanity and $$$

Beautiful building and good location to akrotiri ancient archelogical site

• Reviewed: 16 July 2015

Small room for the price...

The hotel is like a small club, around a beautiful swimming pool. The boss takes care of his custumors. He's a very good saleman... but he's very nice and reliable too.

• Reviewed: 8 May 2016

Kostas and his team made our stay very enjoyable and couldn't do enough to ensure we got the most from our time in Santorini

• Reviewed: 13 October 2015

Very friendly and helpful staff and a jolly owner/manager.

• Reviewed: 6 September 2015

Outdated hotel,next to the road. Even as you pay 100€ per night, they make you pay for swimming pool towels. Globally overpriced.

• Reviewed: 16 July 2015

The owner was a little over bearing

Beautiful small family run hotel

• Reviewed: 11 July 2015

IT was amazing stay here.Costa is very helpful and friendly guy.

• Reviewed: 8 July 2015

The owner was rude and irrational.

• Reviewed: 18 June 2015

Not in a busy area but a short drive to Fira & Oie. Peaceful & Wonderful place with amazing staff & service. Will definitely go back.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2015

The smoke coming from other guests outside came into my bedrooms

Hard work everybody did

There are also 11 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.