Reviews of The Traditional Homes of Crete

Mavrikiano, Elounda, 71202, Greece

#44 of 53 hotels in Elounda

Based on 34 apartment reviews

• Two-Bedroom House with Sea View and Veranda - Split Level

The shower. There was also a double bed on a mezzinine floor which technically allowed two more people to sleep in the house - a total of six - but we would not have felt safe on this middle floor as felt you could roll out of bed and over the unguarded edge! Was also not entirely happy that there was not a communal swimming pool, as appeared to be advertised. However, the helpful agent was happy to show us an alternative property with a pool which did not seem as good.

This is a truly unique property and the view from the terrace is absolutely amazing. It's set in a small hamlet just ten minutes from Elounda but you could cook upstairs on the open air terrace- or downstairs in the galley kitchen. You could also call to the owner of the nearby taverna to save you a table for later. As it was a traditional house that went with all the inconveniences of stone steps everywhere and you needed to be aware of your footing at all times. Some facilities, like the loo and shower, were very basic. However, for an amazing experience - but one you embrace with your eyes wide-open- this was a lovely property and we felt privileged to enjoy a small taste of traditional Cretan life.

• One-Bedroom House with Sea View

Lack of hot water during our entire stay except for one hour during which we could comfortably wash. Absolutely no privacy between the two sleeping areas for a young female adult to change without going to the bathroom on a separate floor. Seem to remember Description in Booking.com said something of a small shared or private plunge pool, showing a photo of it. No such thing existed. Memory may be poor here as have not yet been able to check validity of this statement. Half of immediate view taken up by building site directly below us. Noise from this site started about 7:30 each morning. Noise also from lunchtime to late evening from restaurant kitchen roof mounted extract system opposite. Very noisy neighbours till early am means that our stay was not the peace and quiet we were looking for. Free parking was available nearby, 250m away, not on site as described. Property description is hugely inaccurate but was also one of the most charming properties we have stayed in.

Location and view and the traditional feel of this unique property.

• One-Bedroom House with Sea View

The Booking Com description did not fit the property. There was no view, no pool, no spa or sea views as portrayed in the advertisement on B.C. The property, our room was grossly over priced, i assume we paid the rate for the pool unit. The room rate was far in excess of anything we have paid for similar properties over the last 3 months of travel.,, The cleaning and rubbish cleared once in 4 days, but lets not forget to mention the MOSQUITO's. Dozens of them and we were unable to find how they were getting in.(must have been down the chimney) No insect repelant or plugin electrical 'chase away' device provided. The two Taverna ( Hope and BeeRaki) located 100 meters away were brilliant though. Great food , drinks and Staff.

Nothing much, but it was a chance to stay in an authentic Cretan style house.

• Three-Bedroom House with Sea View and Veranda - Split Level

I seldom write hotel reviews, however this time I felt compelled to do so as I was so disappointed. After having looked on the internet for some time to find suitable accommodation for 5 people which included my Father, I decided on The Traditional Homes of Crete as my Father was born in Crete and I thought it would be a great memory for him. After a wonderful 2 weeks touring around Greece in 7 different accommodations, I thought this would be a lovely way to end our holidays, boy was I mistaken!! Upon arrival in Elounda, we were escorted to the house by a man name Vangelis who welcomed us to the house named ‘Penelope’ which was my first warning sign. I had booked the house named ‘Margarita’ which was to have a lovely verandah with sea views. I mentioned this to Vangelis who quickly changed to subject and pointed out the pool that Penelope had access to (it is a shared pool with another house), without any further explanation as to why there had been a change in accommodation. After showing us through the house, I asked him about our sea view, again stating that I had specifically rented ‘Margarita’ as it had a lovely sea view, which ‘Penelope’ clearly DID NOT. He quickly directed me to the pool again, stating that ‘Penelope’ was 50% more expensive than ‘Margarita’ but he was kind enough to not charge me any extra, AGAIN not offering any explanation as to the change and off he went. I did NOT book this house with its small square 1.7m deep pool that my young children could not swim in without holding on to the ladder and where was my sea view and my valid explanation for the change? I had read a similar review before booking, but still decided to book as there had been other more positive reviews. To be sure however, I emailed Vangelis soon after booking to confirm my booking was for ‘Margarita’ and his reply was: “your reservation at the traditional home of MARGARITA has been confirmed via BOOKING.COM" so I felt confident it was ok.

• Three-Bedroom House with Sea View and Veranda - Split Level

Many stairs in 3 narrow levels. Broken main balcony door lock, remained open and banging in the wind every day for 5 days. ( we had to place the table behind the door to try keep it closed from the wind. The wifi was out or service most of the days The bed was uncomfortable and very noisy. Pillows uncomfortable and very thin. Parking area is away down the hill, and only space for 4 to 5 cars pending on the way the park.

The location and view

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

• Three-Bedroom House with Sea View and Veranda - Split Level

Some problems with bathroom. And mosquitoes (but this is not a thing which is in staff's responsibility).

Great location - quite a lot of shops and restaurants are located in 10 min walk away distance. Fantastic view from the terrace. Private free parking. A lot of space for 3 adults. Very traditional and cosy home. Friendly staff which was always eager to help.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

• One-Bedroom House - Split Level

Couldn't really fault anything. We're retired and some of the other reviews exaggerated how far away from Elounda the property is. We walked in every day.

Lovely property located in village 15 minutes walk from Elounda. Quirky, well appointed and couple of really nice tavernas, including the Hope very close. needed to book - first time ever in Crete!

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

• Two-Bedroom House with Shared Pool

More than 50 steps to enter in the room. If you have pregnant wife and a <2 years old child its not a proper choice... Our fault as nobody obliged us to go there but think twice if you wish to go there. Position on the map of booking.com and google maps is not correct as some of the rooms are behind the elounda hill that have a great view on the cemetery!!! (Our have that view...) The owner called us one day before the arrival at 22:30 asking us where we are . He made a mistake on the dates... When we arrived following google map directions we manage to find the room after half an hour... The owner told us that we had talked and we had a meeting on the church as to help us find the room... -no breakfast -within 4 days 3 nights they did not clean room, didnt change sheets, didnt change towels -communication with the owner -traditional like most of the infrastracture, beware of wood constructions as they are not that stable. -price vs value

room has a roof

• Two-Bedroom House with Sea View and Veranda - Split Level

A lot of steps in the appartment.

Great wiev from the balcony.

Magmificent I have no words

Hospitality of the owner

• Two-Bedroom House with Sea View and Veranda - Split Level

Beautiful Traditional house built by an architect for his family. The most amazing sea view.

• One-Bedroom House - Upper Floor

Nice location, tranquility and relaxation.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2015

The traditional nature of the house, especially the outdoor kitchen. Pool was great. Nice little bar nearby called 'The Hope' with great views of Elounda. A good base for visiting the island of Spinalonga.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2015

Toilets on the beach could have been cleaned & toilet paper renewed regularly

We love the people & the food

• Reviewed: 22 September 2015

Needs hand rail so do not step off large step when leaving main area from inside to kitchen area

Beautiful views and quaint property

• Reviewed: 4 July 2015

Hard bed

Skimming Pool And Nice appartement, good atmosfeer

There are also 2 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.