2. Guatemala hotel reviews
  3. Solola hotel reviews
  4. San Marcos La Laguna hotel reviews
  5. Reviews of Meson del Xocolatl

Reviews of Meson del Xocolatl This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services available. It's based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Muelle Municipal Barrio 1, 07016 San Marcos La Laguna, Guatemala

#8 of 13 hotels in San Marcos La Laguna

Read more– opens a dialog box

• Reviewed: January 11, 2019

The most amazing place on earth.
    • Budget Double Room

A few hooks on the wall to hang your wet towels would have been nice and some soap and shampoo

The most amazing place on earth. Would love to get a chance and go there again! The views are to die for. You can swim before breakfast in the lake and watch the most amazing sunrises and sunsets.

Stayed in January 2019

• Reviewed: January 3, 2019

Perfect view, simple accommodations.
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The hotel is a short walk from the center of town, but it's quite dark at night. If this concerns you, it's something to take note of, since the tuktuks stop driving around 9pm. That said, without the walk away from the center of San Marcos you wouldn't have the peaceful view - so it's a give and take! The shower - while the most beautiful location I've seen - needed a little maintenance. Also more communication about how breakfast and pricing worked.

If you're looking to stay right on the water in Antigua with a beautiful view, this place is for you. The views are truly stunning. There is a dock right outside of the hotel and you can sit for hours looking at the water and volcanoes. The hotel has no frills, but the attraction is the lake and volcanoes. If you are happy with simple accommodations and spectacular view, this place will be for you. Fun note - my room was in a treehouse!

Stayed in January 2019

• Reviewed: December 9, 2018

The location is the best one around the lake.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The pressure of the shower needs to be put very low so as to get hot water

The location is the best one around the lake. Quiet best views and such a big garden to spend your relaxing days in. We also had spring water for our availability. Loved spending time with the dog who is chained for a reason because of his oldaged poor hips. You can take him for short guided walks this would do him good for his condition while making a new friend. Loved it, wish we could stayed more.

Stayed in December 2018

• Reviewed: November 23, 2018

Perfect location, 5 min from the center, very calm
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The towels were dirty? I couldnt get the hot water in the shower

Perfect location, 5 min from the center, very calm Great garden with the view and the terrace

Stayed in November 2018

• Reviewed: November 14, 2018

Not a good feel to the place, especially for young families.
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

It must have been because of being in the off season, but there was no one there when we arrived. It was not even clear where the front office was when we arrived. There seemed to be only one staff available and he was generally not available when we looked for him for most of our time there. We also had a problem with the handling of a very loveable people oriented shephard on the property, which they left tied up day and night on a short leash in the middle of the property. At night it would howl at times - pretty sad.

the location was okay, partly becuase of the public wharf out front that locals seemed to use a swim platform, and it was quiet for the most part.

• Reviewed: October 22, 2018

The room was really nicely done & the bathroom view was...
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The beautiful big dog tied up outside all day and night. It's a shame because we really loved the hotel but this was enough to make us not want to book again.

The room was really nicely done & the bathroom view was incredible! Location was unbeatable.

• Reviewed: August 12, 2018

Amazing place
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Really loved the place ! Amazing location with great views to the lake and peaceful location. The rooms are very eco friendly built and Even the shared bathroom is clean and big.

• Reviewed: July 16, 2018

Great lake view very quiet place
    • Economy Quadruple Room with Shared Bathroom

Room was dirty bed sheets dirty bugs all over even under pillows spider webs everywhere and property didn't even offer a coffee in the morning. Owner was friendly though

The lake view

• Reviewed: May 28, 2018

Very comfortable and beautiful place.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The shower was cold but I think you need to let the hot water heater be on longer before you use the shower. Also, going from my bedroom/casita to the bathroom is uphill a few steps without a railing so just beware if you have any coordination troubles or if you have bad knees it might not be easy for you. It's semi rustic but beautiful

I stayed one night and it was so relaxing! I loved the tranquility, and just a 5 min walk (uphill) to the town. Also, the shared bathroom was beautiful! I've never seen a bathroom built like that. I could hear the lake breaking against the beach all night and it was so relaxing (I was in the double bed shared bathroom)

• Reviewed: May 6, 2018

Beautiful spot, right next to the lake looking three...
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

It's bit difficult to find the stuff if you needed something. Their attitude sometimes was not that welcoming. The owner didn't inform me that the single occupancy for a share bathroom room was actually 50q less than 2 people while I wrote clearly that it was only myself when I booked it. So he still charged me 40q more per night.

Beautiful spot, right next to the lake looking three volcanos in the distance. Very relexing. The tree house that I was staying was great, I woke up every morning from the sounds of the birds and direct view from the window looking out on the lake.

• Reviewed: March 26, 2018

I think the location was very good.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

First of all the shower window needs to be icy. There is no privacy otherwise. I am not used to stay in such rooms or cabanas. But spiders and other insects were common around. I killed also a scorpion in my room. Thus i was not too much happy in my last night was quite scared. Maybe they should isolate the rooms at least better!!

I think the location was very good. It is slightly out of central but it is worth. It has its own bay and very rleaxing! You could even swim there and you can take the boat there when coming and going! The walk to the center is very manageable. You might need some torch in night but extremely safe. There is only one steep place but the rest is completely fine. You could sleep by listening wave sounds which is very calming and which you might not find easily eveywhere. It has a beatiful view of volcanos.

• Reviewed: March 19, 2018

It was one of the coolest place in my life to stay.
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

It was one of the coolest place in my life to stay. I had a treehouse with amazing view from my bed and kolibries singing at mornings by my window. I couldnt imagine any better place to stay.

• Reviewed: March 17, 2018

Amazing stay in tranquility
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The owner can be a bit temperamental

The place is amazing a real slice of tranquility right on the lake. We stayed in a treehouse and although it got cold at night we were well insulated by blankets! Even the bathrooms here are cool. Great place at a great price and highly recommended.

• Reviewed: March 4, 2018

The view from the property towards the lake is beautiful.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The view from the property towards the lake is beautiful. The surrounding garden is well maintained by the friendly staff. The shower has hot water and the wifi works well. There is a dock by the hotel which is very practical when arriving and leaving by boat. Would stay here again, if not only for watching the hummingbirds in the trees while taking my morning shower.

• Reviewed: January 23, 2018

The view is amazing!
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The beds weren't that comfortable but everything was clean and the view makes up for any negative

The view is amazing! If you're looking for a calm place to relax, it's the place to be

• Reviewed: January 21, 2018

The best thing about the property it’s location.
    • Budget Double Room

The property do not provide soap or shampoo, so better carry yours.

The best thing about the property it’s location. From our terrace we got fantastic view. There is a pier very close to the property, so it’s easy to catch a boat.

• Reviewed: January 18, 2018

SCARY and uncomfortable. The hotel OWNER got EXTREMELY DRUNK and acted psychotic, scaring everyone.
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

BE WARNED. We had a very scary experience. On the last night of our stay, the hotel owner who lives on the property got extremely drunk. From 12:30am-2:00am he ran around the property screaming at the top of his lungs and being very, very angry. I've never seen someone act like this in my life. It might have been psychosis. Two of his friends tried unsuccessfully for hours to keep him under control and eventually carried him to his house. At one point, it appeared that he was charging at the door to our room before his friends stopped him. We barricaded the door. At 6am, he started screaming again. Once he was out of sight, we packed our bags and immediately got out of there. We have a recording of him screaming as evidence.

• Reviewed: January 8, 2018

It is an AMAZING hotel to stay in San Marcos. It is peaceful and quiet.
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Hotel Silani is AMAZING! :) the rooms are comfortable and the area is green and peaceful. If you like nature you are going to like this hotel! The breakfast was healthy and delicious and it is affordable. The view is stunning!!

• Reviewed: December 23, 2017

The view, ow the view just loved it!
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

It was a little bit basic, but wel organized. The bed was al little bit hard and it was a little walk from town, just 10 minutes realy do-able.

Just go here for the view! It is stunning. The rooms are big, the bed a little bid hard. The shower is warm, but the view is so beautifull!

• Reviewed: October 27, 2017

A place I wouldn't stay at again
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

It was hard to find the hotel at first. No signs, good we had a location on google maps and still had to ask a few people around. The owner lost interest in doing anything for us right after we paid for the room. No tour of the place. He explained he can cook a dinner for us (the place is a bit out of town) and when we came back at 19.50 and asked for dinner he said it's too late. So we had to walk back to town in the darkness. We didn't have any chance to communicate with him. And there was this huge dog running freeely in the property. The dog started barking at us as we got home and there was no one to calm it down. The nearby swimming area looked pretty polluted - I wouldn't dare to swim around. I wouldn't recommend that place, nor would I return there ever again.

The treehouse was lovely and the view over the lake and the surrounding volcanos is just amazing! We managed to chill in the garden and had great time.

• Reviewed: October 21, 2017

Excellent hotel at a good price & a superb view

I liked everything

The view from my room. The room is comfortable and so are the beds. The breakfast at the property is good & affordable. There's a dock right next to the property so the boat can drop you there instead of the towns dock that is a 15 minute walk.

• Reviewed: September 30, 2017

I enjoyed the quiet location and the unique room.
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

My room was in a tree house, overlooking Lake Atitlan. The view out the large window is spectacular. Tropical birds were flitting around through the trees.The services are very basic but it's an easy walk to the closest store.

• Reviewed: September 5, 2017

It was nice, peaceful and has a great view.
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

It was too far away from downtown, plus restaurant was closed so Everytime we wanted to eat we have to travel about a 1km from the hotel to the downtown..

It was nice, peaceful and has a great view.

• Reviewed: August 31, 2017

Tranquil is the best word to describe this stay. Treat yourself, you deserve it!
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

One very large spider in the cabin, though that's to be expected! It is in a gorgeous nature-filled area, so those buggars are part of the charm. None bothered us, just be aware. Another thing to consider, is the Hotel from the main street is down a very steep hill, so consider getting a tuk-tuk to help you carry your bags up the hill on your last day out! (Q20 to and out of the hotel from city center- Q10 each person + bags).

This property is enchanting with breathtaking views. We have been traveling from Belize down the gringo trail to Lake Atitlan. It was splendid to sleep for a night in Hotel Silani, with its quiet escape from loud music and noisy roosters. I had the best sleep of my life in the cabin with open windows to the view of the Volcanos and lake. The bathroom is one of the most beautiful in Guatemala! Shower and poo with a great view! :)

• Reviewed: August 29, 2017

Quiet, beautiful, and beachfront with walkable access to the main part of San Marcos
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

They were not thrilled to protect our bags adequately when we had to leave them for half a day after check-out--wanted us to leave them in the often unattended main dining area. I did finally convince the owner to let me pay him Q25 to lock them up in "the vault," a locked maintenance room I believe is only accessible by the owner. There were some large spiders, but ignorable once you realize they are harmless and "eat the scorpions," so they are your friends.

If you want to be away from the intensity of San Marcos, this is ideal. You're right on the water for beach/dock swimming, and can even arrive or leave via the lanchas right there: just request the "Silani Dock at San Marcos" when boarding. Otherwise, you pay Q5/person (and extra for bags) to take a tuk-tuk from the tourist dock. The 5-7 mins to town is safe and easily walkable during the day (we were warned multiple times not to walk with our luggage, as in all of Guatemala.) A beautiful little haven with unlimited safe water from a spring. The bathrooms were fun, beautiful tropical experiences with actual hot water. We were allowed to use the kitchen for minor things like cutting up fruit, etc--which I loved! This may not be your spot if you intend to stay out late and want to stumble back drunk--though you can always take a tuk-tuk back to sleep in quiet, so long as you can still manage the (short and charming) thin trail up a steep hill to your room (and be quiet for the rest of the guests). Do venture to the other side of San Marcos, past Hotel Acalaax, for swimming off the rocks.

• Reviewed: August 3, 2017

A 10 minute walk from the main street in San Marcos.
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

A 10 minute walk from the main street in San Marcos. Have to do this anytime you want to eat or see something. The property is pretty secluded. The shared bathroom although lovely isn't very practical. Very picturesque location. best view I've ever had whilst taking a shower.

• Reviewed: July 31, 2017

Beautiful lakeside place
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Rustic, peaceful and really clean. Everything has been designed and hand made with great thought. Directly on the lake with incredible views. a ten minute walk and you're in the town centre.

• Reviewed: July 27, 2017

View is nice, but...
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The owner was not very friendly. The access to our room was dark and a bit dangerous, we could have used a broom if the staff was not going to clean the room, and warmer blankets would have been nice. No internet, he says you can connect a cable from his room to yours but only to check your email.

The view was amazing.

• Reviewed: June 27, 2017

Great little clean, comfortable, private corner of San Marcos.
    • Budget Double Room

Owned by a lovely,helpful local. It was quiet time of year when we visited which meant we had the place to ourselves looking right across the lake with amazing an sunrise worth getting u for. Arrived late at night and had nowhere to go get dinner and the lovely owner rustled up a late night homemade meal to welcome us at such an awkward time. A bonus in my eyes.

• Reviewed: May 31, 2017

A beautiful work in progress
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

It was a little way out of town which was a bit difficult as the restaurant wasn't always open and there was no wifi - so we had to go into town for food and to use the wifi a lot - But i think they are still working on the place so hopefully soon it will be perfect

The location was beautiful, we had a great view and it was very peaceful

• Reviewed: April 25, 2017

How to do Atitlan
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

We didn't like the fact we had to leave.

The setting was incredible, completely allowed us to chill and relax. When you imagine your time at atitlan this place will more than accommodate for what you're expecting. I literally can't recommend it enough. The host was amazing to us, helped us out so much and imparted so much wisdom on us whilst at the same time leaving us to enjoy his little paradise. He wasn't also a fabulous cook! Everything was amazing.

• Reviewed: March 27, 2017

The nice view was not enough
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The owner has to work on how to deal with the clients I suppose. He got into a fight with a local in front of us, and spoke out loud to the police when they came. He didn't apologised to who was watching. The common space (garden) is smaller than it looks in the pictures and we felt quite isolated, since no one was ever around, except the staff. Overall, not a good atmosphere.

Great view, coffee, and nice rooms. Interesting bathroom too.

• Reviewed: March 19, 2017

Not bad, but not convincing.
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The surprise to pay almost 30% of the announced price for misc. taxes + the obligation to pay in advance even before having seen the room. There is NO internet in contrary of what is told in the hotel profil. There is no breakfast included not even a menu proposed and no spa. The room is poor : bed, table and chair nothing else : some element of decoration or a candle would be a real assset.

Definitely the location is good, not in the center of San Marco and with a good view of the lac.

• Reviewed: March 1, 2017

Great views of the lake. Quiet and peaceful location. The owner could work on personable skills.
    • Budget Double Room

Owner not very welcoming. Seems to focus on the Reconstruction of the hotel over the guests and what they may need.

Great location away from town. Amazing view of the lake.

• Reviewed: February 21, 2017

Great location but more than disappointing facilities and excuses from staff and no working WiFi
    • Budget Double Room

Misinformation and no attempt to make up for it from the staff The 'restaurant' is a kitchen without a menu The hotel was under construction without warning The water from the sink went straight into the lake They burned the used toilet paper in the bathroom Taxes were more than expected No working WiFi !

The awesome view Restaurants in town Location at the lakefront Fresh water from the mountain

• Reviewed: February 15, 2017

I'll stick with the view :)
    • Budget Double Room

The view was breathtaking and the food was made whenever you asked for (delicious, cheap and extremely fresh). Bonus we had our fresh and extremely good water source in the garden (no aditional cost)

• Reviewed: January 29, 2017

Owner was very rude and unhelpful but location and view were...
    • Budget Double Room

Should have been made clear that the room was actually a treehouse. No protection from mosquitoes and despite using a lot if insect repellant we got very badly bitten.

Owner was very rude and unhelpful but location and view were gorgeous.didn't realise our room was a treehouse which made it v difficult because we had a lot of baggage.

• Reviewed: April 17, 2018

Lake front was incredible.
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

spiders in the room. This is pretty typical of everywhere though.

Lake front was incredible. Facility was well kept.

• Reviewed: March 27, 2018

stunning setting
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

knowledgeable staff location is amazing chilled out location away from the hippies

• Reviewed: January 6, 2018

We stayed in a lovely treehouse with beautiful view on the...

It’s a bit out of town

We stayed in a lovely treehouse with beautiful view on the lake. Kind owner, great location for a nice price.

• Reviewed: December 24, 2017

Amazing view!

Amazing view!

• Reviewed: December 24, 2017

Great view
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The staff could have been more kind, or helpful..

The view, the sauna, the room.

• Reviewed: December 20, 2017

Yummy yummy cooking too!!

Unique and incredible!

• Reviewed: November 7, 2017

Right on the lake, quiet, great views of the sunset,...
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Right on the lake, quiet, great views of the sunset, volcanos and lake. 10 minute safe walk to town.

• Reviewed: November 4, 2017

Amazing wiew of the lake and the volcanos

• Reviewed: September 6, 2017

The view was amazing.
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Gigantic ants in the room. Even a simple continental breakfast would be a nice treat

The view was amazing. Hotel located in a nice little town.

• Reviewed: August 24, 2017

Awesome view of the lake and value for money

A little far from town

Awesome view of the lake and value for money

• Reviewed: August 15, 2017

The view was amazing
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Beds were not very comfty

The view was amazing

• Reviewed: August 6, 2017

The view to the lake, amazing

No internet

The view to the lake, amazing

• Reviewed: July 27, 2017

Great hotel with its own beach
    • Budget Double Room

The location of the property is really good with a great view right in front of the volcanoes. The staff are really nice & helpful.

• Reviewed: July 17, 2017

View
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Room wasnt cleaned on Saturday morning and it should be clean every day!

View

• Reviewed: June 6, 2017

Gorgeous location and rooms for those who like rustic, remote eco-friendly accommodations
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Little contact with owner, no wifi, water issues

Exceptionally beautiful room and view

• Reviewed: May 15, 2017

Lovely view out on the lake.
    • Budget Double Room

Lovely view out on the lake. Super quiet and plenty of fireflies at night

• Reviewed: April 21, 2017

The view and the quiet in comparison to the noise of the...
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The view and the quiet in comparison to the noise of the town.

• Reviewed: February 9, 2017

Great place to stay and relax.
    • Budget Double Room

It would be great if you'll have access to food at the food

It's a cozy space to chill and be yourself with peace and an amazing view.

There are also 11 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

We Price Match