Reviews of Charterhouse Causeway Bay 3 stars

209-219 Wanchai Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong, Hong Kong

#220 of 272 hotels in Hong Kong

Condition is very old.
    • Economy Single Room

Condition is very old. Photos given are totally not reflecting the real condition. Reception staff said security amount needs 2-3 weeks to refund to my credit card which I have never heard of this arrangement in all the past bookings at other hotels before.

• Superior Twin Room

They tried to swipe my card again but explained the money was already taken from my account so after a few minutes all was Ok

That buses stop at the front door every 15 minutes

Other than room & restaurant, pretty good.
    • Business Floor Queen or Twin Room

room was slightly 'worn looking' and needing some tlc. Breakfast room was too cold as hot breakfast did not stay hot for very long!

staff were very helpful; location very good; ample breakfast; bed was very comfortable.

Location is the primary consideration.

Rooms not so spacious.

Location is the primary consideration. Very close to commercial complex like Times Square. All modes of transportation are easily available.

Very friendly staff.
    • Superior Twin Room

There are also some older rooms. And our new room still had a pretty old bathroom. But it was still okay though.

Very friendly staff. Nice room and very clean room. We booked a twin room but when we got in it smelled like someone had been smoking in there. When we mentioned this to the staff we got an other room. We got upgraded to a family room which was much nicer and just renovated!

I stay in the signature floor (2/F) which is newly...
    • Superior Twin Room

The front desk staff was not warm and welcoming. I'm not sure if he was tired (i checked in at around 11:30pm) or what, there was no smile and he bluntly told me, 'you can't extend your stay as someone booked the room for tomorrow".

I stay in the signature floor (2/F) which is newly renovated. The room was sizable and clean. Furniture and interior were new and I particularly love the massage shower faucet! With this price (around HKD650) i think it was a great deal.

Great!
    • Family Room

There was a door in our room with led to next doors room. We could hear everything from conversations to trips to the bathroom.

Great beds, good breakfast and nice staff.

Great location and walking distant to everywhere!
    • Family Room

I don't like the bathroom, flushing the toilet sometimes takes effort he he he... it was funny for the kids. I also don't like the fact that the room didn't have a table or closet. There was only two double bed. and that's it! We store the luggage under the bed (obviously it was a compartment for bags and luggages) otherwise we couldn't walk in the room.

I like the fact that it's within walking distant to Times Square and all the shopping malls. very nearby 7-11 shop, and a bus stop right in font of the hotel for easy bus riding. Which I used most of the time staying there. I also like the pillows and bed it's really comfortable.

Location was very good and staff seemed to do there best except for booking in staff who were surly
    • Superior Twin Room

My room that I was given was for seven days was situated by the housemaids cleaning location.So coming out in the morning was caotic and noisy.For seven days my room was not cleaned,only the towels and toilet paper changed.I had to ask for sheets to be changed after day four.room was dark and dingy and hadn't been vacuumned for sometime.Wallpaper peeling.These rooms are past there use by date and feel I deserved a better room for the time I was there.

Front of house staff very friendly and helpful.

The hotel is very well located, very close to the metro...
    • Superior Twin Room

The bathroom could use a renovation, but it was functional.

The hotel is very well located, very close to the metro station and also there is a bus station in front of the hotel (101, 111 are passing through Central and back) so is very conveniently located. The room is rather small, but knowing Hong Kong hospitality standards it’s pretty decent. The room is clean but has bare minimum.

Location on causeway bay for ease of access to HK Island and...
    • Superior Twin Room

Stayed on 19th floor, loud AC fan or similar sound never shut off from above room

Location on causeway bay for ease of access to HK Island and mainland. Walking distance to star ferry, take an umbrella!

I like how helpful and quick to address of concern the lady...
    • Superior Twin Room

I like how helpful and quick to address of concern the lady in the frontdesk upon checking in. I somewhat felt a a little hassle checking out regarding the guy who is handling me. I was okay tho cause concierge helpfulness took my little annoyance away. All in all good. I would stay there again when I am back. Location is great, easy taxi infront of hotel, staffs are generally good, food is okay, housekeepers are nice too.

• Family Room

It's a good property to stay, but the facilities not as good as I think. I am only got the drink for the first day I arrived. I quit different if I traveled to another country using another hotel. Sorry

So many places I can choose for my dinner and also for my present to my family in Indonesia. Great.

I been stayed twice in Charter House, I like the locations...
    • Superior Twin Room

I think if I want to suggest an improvement it will be on the receptionist of the hotel which a bit snobbish and quite not friendly person.

I been stayed twice in Charter House, I like the locations of the hotel. The room was clean and the air inside the room smell's good. All in all I will highly recommend it to my friend.

i would highly reccommend.

No complaints.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rate was really good, comfortable room, in room safe, free wifi and hotel was nonsmoking.

The whole setup needs some refinement. Aside from that good volue for mobey.
    • Superior Twin Room

Bathroom waterdrain was not able to fully cope with shower. Breakfast offering quite limited and wrong choice was delivered ...

Gratis airport shuttle. Attentive and friendly staff. Generally clean room.

A bit dated but you know what you're going to get
    • Business Floor Queen or Twin Room

The guy cooking eggs and omelettes. He is the first person you see when you enter the breakfast room. What a bundle of misery. Nowhere to be seen for 5 minutes then when he comes back no words at all. Smile buddy !! If you hate your job so much go do something else.

Small room but comfortable bed. Nice hot shower. Staff generally very helpful. Have stayed here plenty of times over the years. Breakfast buffet was pretty good.

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL
    • Superior Twin Room

ROOM WAS IN POOR CONDITION; REFRIGERATOR WASN'T WORKING; BATHROOM SMELLS POORLY MAINTAINED; LCD TV HAD A HOLE IN THE SCREEN SECURITY WAS LAX - NON GUESTS WERE HANGING AROUND THE LOBBY AND SEEM TO ENTER AND LEAVE FREELY

Staff was superb with assistance!
    • Economy Single Room

Older bathrooms and very difficult to turn water on/off in shower and sink.

Staff was superb with assistance!!! Very accommodating!!! Especially the concierge!

My usual place to stay in HK - cosy but a bit old and run down.
    • Business Floor Queen or Twin Room

I don't really know why I always go there. The staff is really bored and tired, the rooms are also old and a bit run down (excpet the newly renovated ones on 2nd floor).

It's becoming second home, I stay there every time I go to HK. I guess I'm starting to get used to the neighborhood and I have my local habits. The local market is good for fruit.

A friendly value for money stay
    • Superior Twin Room

The lifts, felt forever too come

First thing the staff, very friendly and helpful.The room was comfortable and location worked well for me, near to things I wanted too see and do

Their breakfast was reasonable and had lots of food
    • Family Room

Even though we informed them we were 4 people, they only gave us 3 towels so had to call housekeeping to get additional towels. Their soap/shampoo container was blocked so just used the toiletries I brought with me.

Their breakfast was reasonable and had lots of food

Frustrating front desk staff
    • Superior Twin Room

I was pretty frustrated by the front desk staff. Shortly after checking out, I returned to the front desk and asked to exchange currency. The front desk staff refused. It was a real bummer as it wasn't much and was in a tough spot (the restaurant across the road was cash only). I get it. You have a policy. But I was a guest here a couple hours ago.... Don't be a jerk, you are in the hospitality business. I won't be coming back.

Good price in a good location... But there are other similar options.

If was okay. Will consider going back because of the staffs friendlineaa
    • Family Room

We got the family room for 4. However there were just 2 towels. Complimentary water served only on first day. Blankets/linens had some stains.

Staff were so helpful and very friendy.

Best value for money. Highly recommended.
    • Family Room

Nothing to complain to be honest.

Love the wide selections of breakfast and the speed of the free wifi. My family and I really enjoyed our stay on this hotel.

Coffee inside of the building when you leave in the morning,...
    • Superior Twin Room

Well the price but we're in HK right so that's as cheap as it can get for a good hotel :P

Coffee inside of the building when you leave in the morning, great location.

Not worth the money! This is a refurbished old hotel! Not even a vintage or boutique.
    • Family Room

Bathroom was small, old, dirty and broken. Air conditioner was too old and run loudly all night long...old people can’t not get the sleep well :(.

Only in good location! But still almost 3km walking from the central. No taxi want to drop us off at the hotel except for airport transferring. You can just walk around the neighborhood. If your family can walk 1km to the MRT station and go with MRT then it is fine. Even the staff told us to go with MRT and can’t call the taxi. Taxi don’t want to drive you to other areas like Kowloon even it is 8km drive.

Great location, but very tired. Over priced for what you get.
    • Superior Twin Room

Very tired rooms. I requested room change , got slight upgrade to 18th floor rooms much better than 9th . Everything needs to be replaced- tired, did not feel clean ( perhaps was but didn't feel it). Great location, handy phone very useful.

location and staff
    • Superior Twin Room

they placed the two beds beside each other,,no place to get off the bed,,they should place two single beds ,,will fit better,,no tables, no desk,,no chair,,no coffee..

location and staff

the bed was comfortable.
    • Family Room

the noise. the walls are super thin, so we all woke up with the insane screams of children in the corridor.

the bed was comfortable. and the location is very good.

good stay with family

More discount, haha~

Very good location, easy to reach to subway station and Victoria Bay. As room size, typical sample as most of HK hotels, small but clean. However, the bed is big and very comfortable. Reception area is also kind of small, but it's not a big deal.

Aging hotel that needs to raise its game
    • Business Floor Queen or Twin Room

Reception is cold and functional, with frequent lines. Room quality: some are ok, some are sub-standard. Overall you can do better for the money.

Room quality varies massively. All are small, although some are upgraded and some are original 1980s. I was shunted around among three different rooms in five nights so got to see a variety! Breakfast is good if you like western style, and location is quiet despite being 10 mins walk to Wanchai. Housekeeping staff were very helpful.

Dont take the upgrade
    • Business Floor Queen or Twin Room

They offered a upgrade from two single beds to two double. I have never had a Hotel room that has two double beds from one wall to the the other, no gap in between.

The pub on site is nice.

Great staff and terrific value for location.
    • Superior Twin Room

No fridge in the room a little disappointing.

The staff added great value as they were all friendly and efficiently helpful. From the room cleaner, reception, concierge and cafe, all we terrific.

The location of the hotel is very convenient, near the MTR...
    • Superior Twin Room

Rooms are required to refresh. The shower in bathroom is an American system.

The location of the hotel is very convenient, near the MTR station Wanchai and The Times square mall. A quiet hotel in the spirit of the seventies. Breakfasts are continental with the necessary set of dishes.

Horrible experience
    • Superior Twin Room

EVERYTHING! The room is as small as other HK hotels', which I can get it. But the room is not clean at all. And the noise, OMG, you can hear everything outside the room. It's a terrible experience and I'll never recommend it to any other.

nothing.

Never back to hongkong for any think

Room too small Safe under bed door can’t close every time walk hit to leg No refrigerator Other room talk hear all most 70

I don’t like any Hongkong people not friendly never come back to hongkong I am not recommend people go to hongkong

Good value for money!
    • Superior Twin Room

Nothing as the staff were happy and helpful.

What I really liked was the bath tub. It was a key win for me because I don't have one at home. So many hotels are getting rid of the tub to modernise to showers. Charterhouse- dont do it, your fine just as you are.

They have phone with access to internet that is very useful.
    • Economy Single Room

I booked late check out till 18h and charged full day but at high prices, much more than level I paid for my room.

They have phone with access to internet that is very useful.

Comfortable stay at reasonable room rate!

The air-con is chilly...

Everything! Location is convenient, staff are nice with pleasant responsiveness, room is clean and tidy, bed are soft, decoration is nostalgia.

Good Hotel in Central Location.

Road noise

Good Hotel in Central Location. Price value ok in Relation to Other hkg Hotels in this area. small Roms but clean and friendlly staff would come again

Our favourite hotel in Hong Kong to date
    • Business Floor Queen or Twin Room

We were on the second floor which made it a bit noisier at night.

Shower was brilliant. Big enough to showera whole family. Breakfast was very good. Pleanty of options for most tastes.

Well located business hotel in Hong Kong but rooms are not same as photo
    • Superior Twin Room

Reception (2 guys who worked on March 4th evening) were only interested in getting payment and advance but did not even assign a staff to assist in bringing up my luggage. Hospitality Zero. Photo shown in the booking.com is new but room provided was old one.

Location is convenient, 5 minutes to Causeway Bay and 10 minutes to Wan Chai. Hotel has good access to bus and train. The room had high ceiling and the desk in the room was wide and easy to use. Staff cleaning lady was very courteous and approachable.

Never take a single room in this hotel
    • Economy Single Room

Very small room and their single room means not even a proper size bed, just a small cot..They don't even provide drinking water in the room...And the check in at reception is rude

Only location advantage Very near to Times Square, causeway bay and wanchai

Bad experience

Room are very small , and worse for me is the bed itself is very small . Old furniture , should be renewed .Hotel sent a no show notification by mistake . The staff said to me that I cannot go to the Champs bar because of private party , but when I tried myself it was just subject to entrance fees

Only Location

I needed to b there longer to give an accurate explanation
    • Economy Single Room

Very far from airport Room was too too small for price $74-$76 was the price I believe n thats too high

I wasn’t there long enough to give a solid rating. I arrived at 2:00AM n left at 7:00AM.

Centrally located hotel with excellent customer service

The small top floor rooms look a little tired and carpet would benefit from a refresh which I stayed in. The ceiling airconditioners in the Gazebo restaurant can do with a wipe. Some of the bigger rooms on the Signature Floor have no windows (my parents stayed in one of these) - this could and should have been pointed out in advance.

The staff were superb. Polite and helpful, efficient and utterly professional. From the room cleaners, restaurant staff, front desk and the concierge. Helped us book successfully a last minute table at the only revolving restaurant in Hong kong. Kept our baggage on the last night and let us wait in a quiet space upstairs waiting for the airport shuttle. It's quite close to an MTR stop (Causeway Bay) through a food market - very interesting. Lots and lots of little cafe/noodle bars everywhere and a 7 eleven round the corner. The Breakfast buffet is really good. Lots of chinese and western items. Signature Floor rooms look as if they have been refurbished and have really nice walk-in showers.

It is modern, well organised, well run, spacious enough,...
    • Economy Single Room

When I arrived I was asked for my credit card and informed of an additional deposit of 500 hkd and asked to sign for a total bill that had a 10% service charge extra. There was no pre information about this that I recall when making the booking. It was a poor way to start.

It is modern, well organised, well run, spacious enough, friendly and well positioned.

Disappointing stay in previously better hotel
    • Economy Single Room

#Room 721 - Avoid at all costs! Room had 2 single beds on a raised platform (with 3cm gap between them, (o not like a pretend double) which went wall to wall, so had to climb into bed from end. No space at all around beds.. Remaining space had no chair, small table or even a fridge! Wifi constantly dropped and when I asked about it was told by the manager that nobody else had complained so couldn't do anything. No wardrobe, just a hook on wall with 3 (1 broken) coathangers. Kettle with complimentary water BUT no cups, no tea or coffee!!

Friendly staff, good location between Wanchai and Causeway Bay. Housekeeping tried their best to improve comfort of room and bought me a chair so I could sit on something other than the bed. Room clean.

The location is good, bus stops and tram stops right outside...
    • Economy Single Room

They put me in a nice room, but the neighbors were extremely loud (a boy yelling non-stop), so I asked to change rooms. They put me in an inferior room, much smaller. The AC was too noisy, the shower area was too small, the curtains got sticking on me during shower, could barely move in the shower area. The toiletries were only toothbrush. No water for free (in the previous room it had 2 complimentary waters). The pillows were TOO flat, not comfortable to sleep with. The room was somewhat dusty, moldy, the wallpapers dirty and aged...Breakfast was ok, but for a hotel this big, I expected a bit better. I asked for help to connect the wifi to my computer, the receptionist just said he didnt know, and didnt even try to help. Probably wont stay there again.

The location is good, bus stops and tram stops right outside, metro is close too. Many stores like 7/11 and restaurants around. The bed is comfortable.

Generally, a pleasant stay made memorable by the friendly and helpful hotel concierges!
    • Superior Twin Room

Rooms were a little run down, in terms of the furniture and cupboards. Fridge was not working in our room. Water pressure for the shower was not strong. But room was clean and beds comfy.

The hotel concierges were very pleasant,approachable and extremely helpful. The buffet breakfast though basic in choice was good,eggs were cooked well and pastries were yummy! Hotel is just next to the Islamic Centre Canteen and less than a 3 minute walk to Wai Kee at the cooked food centre in Bowrington Market which serves lovely duck rice and mutton curry.

Excellent value for Hong Kong! I would definitely recommend it!
    • Economy Single Room

The room is cold. They brought me an extra small heater but I felt it was still not enough. I guess this is common on old buildings in Hong Kong though.

The room even though small (which is standard in Hong Kong) was very comfortable and had everything you could need. Room cleaning service was excellent, I would be back in the hotel by noon and the room was already cleaned (something that often fails in other hotels). Breakfast was the best of my trip, great selection, variety and very yummy!

Housekeeping was very good and prompt.

Room size was small.

Housekeeping was very good and prompt. It is centrally located with 7 by 11 and K store nearyby. Bus stop was outside the hotel. Other bus stops were also quite nearby ( around 200 to 300 meter max).

Budget stay in Wanchai/ Causeway Bay, but beware of odors.
    • Superior Twin Room

The room smelled strongly of mold, and the window couldn't be opened to air it out. As mentioned in other reviews, the rooms are tiny and the lobby minimal, but sufficient if your plan is just to sleep there. The furniture and carpet were well-worn, and in need of an update.

Located between two mtr stops, so transportation is relatively convenient. Many small restaurants/ coffee shops in the vicinity. Price was reasonable for HK.

Confortable and lively neighbourhood
    • Superior Twin Room

Overall, our stay was really nice. If I have to say something we were at the top floor and sometimes was a bit noisy (I believe were the pipes).

We stayed at The Charterhouse for five nights. We loved the location, easy access to the metro, buses and ferry. We thought the bed was amazingly confortable, as well the pillows and duvet.

I always book to stay here when I am visiting Hong Kong as...
    • Economy Single Room

Only to have been able to download my emails on the morning I was leaving before I signed out.

I always book to stay here when I am visiting Hong Kong as the location is perfect for me. This time I actually used the free phone which is in the room which certainly helped a lot when I was visiting some attractions as it knew where I was so I was able to use directions very easily when I was unsure where I was. I was also able to ring friends to let them know where I was, etc, when visiting them.

Overall an enjoyable stay
    • Superior Twin Room

No working heating system installed in the room (which was bad) but luckily they provided us with portable heaters

Location quite strategic, near causeway bay and wan chai

The reception and the way they get the payment.
    • Superior Twin Room

The reception and the way they get the payment.. i used my debit card which is deducted already but they ask me to pay cash upon arrival. And they told me that it take 3-4 weeks before they refund my money.

Nice breakfast, 8min walk from subway, affordable
    • Superior Twin Room

Rooms need some updating, bathroom is at least 20years old, bit musty and smelling, no heating in room while it was pretty cold.

Nice breakfast, 8min walk from subway, affordable

chilly
    • Superior Twin Room

It's February and the room is cold and uncomfortable for that reason. Maybe they don't have heat .in HK.. didn't seem to work

Pleased with overall stay.
    • Family Room

Room are small but guess for the price, it’s pretty competitive. Sound insulation not good as near lift and can hear people talking quite loud in early hours of the morning.

Hotel location very handy, 10 mins+ either side to Wan Chai or Causeway Bay MTR. Easy access to shops and foods.

Value for money. Luv to stay again.
    • Superior Twin Room

The connecting door is locked and cannot be opened until we checked out. Hot water is too hot and or just warm, I like it hot warm but it's okay.

I like because it's near from dingding tram, halal foods, mosque, friendly environments, not too crowded. Right on the sidewalk of main street. Easy to find. 15 minutes walk to MTR. Near 7 eleven. Helpful staff.

a variety of dishes at breakfast with both Chinese and...
    • Economy Single Room

A suggestion that it would be a good idea to change the old fashioned and uncomfortable bathtub into a shower cabin

a variety of dishes at breakfast with both Chinese and western food.. and good coffee! A small comfortable and nice bar where you besides drinking also could eat.

The hotel is close to metro, the reception is opened 24-...
    • Family Room

The tap in bathroom is rusty and did not work properly. We had a kettle but no tea caps, tea or coffee in the room. I have booked 4 people ( 2 adults and 2 children) but toiletries were only for two people.

The hotel is close to metro, the reception is opened 24- hours. The beds were clean and tidy.

best stay at HK
    • Economy Single Room

behind the hotel is an Islamic centre. Muslims can pray there and also got halal restaurant inside the centre. Walking distance to wan chai road. easy to find all sorts of souvenirs and t-shirts. Easy to get public transportations. MTR, tram stations nearby. Coffee shops nearby.

I like the cleaning lady.
    • Family Room

all the receptionist guys. the receptionist area is very small.

I like the cleaning lady. they are all very friendly. Not the receptionist. the guys standing around the receptionist area are very friendly too, only the receptionist. most of them very rigid. the breakfast is ok.

Good location, close to lots of transportation methods.
    • Superior Twin Room

As stated by others, decor is in need of updating, cleanliness in the room was fine but I was expecting a much higher standard. Some staff were very helpful, but a number of them were very brusque or indifferent when asked questions or for assistance. A minor complaint, but the gym is typical of hotels in that it is very under-equipped, but that was expected.

Good location, close to lots of transportation methods. Facilities were comfortable. Bus stop literally right outside the reception was very convenient.

Old pimped up hotel/room
    • Superior Twin Room

Room was mouldy and smell was stiff. There was no fan in bathroom so that the steam,moisture from shower stayed in the room. I had to spray the room every day but the mouldy smell stayed.

Location, close to square market.

It is good location.

The staff is so rude. There is one front desk staff in the afternoon shift , abit fat. He is not accommodation the guest at all. My visa didn’t work, therefore I have to pay them cash for 2 room for 4 nights. Since I didn’t have all cash to paid everything in advance , I just ask to pay for what haft of everything first and paid everything in a few hours later but the front desk guys said no and he reserve room for what I paid them. It is so rude.

It is good location.

Location very good.
    • Economy Single Room

Hotel location was very good. However, single rooms were dirty and very smelly. We had to change rooms twice and even then the carpet was filthy, bathroom had not been cleaned. Front desk staff especially the men just ignore what you had to say... customer service and satisfaction very low in priority.

Location very good.

Good place to stay if location is the prime concern.
    • Economy Single Room

Carpet is old and unclean with quite some black spots. There were still toilet paper residues in the toilet, hopefully from the cleaning crew rather than... And the toilet smells bad as well. Air-con is noisy.

Location, 5 minutes walk from Causeway Bay. Colonial period decoration in the room. Air-con is strong. Staff was friendly.

Good stay, overall
    • Business Floor Queen or Twin Room

Could have better available bathroom goods (face towels, mouthwash, face/hand lotions)

Has all I needed, including a good enough gym and complementary cellphone with data for the entire stay/trip

Nice repeat visit
    • Superior Twin Room

Room is old and I saw mold under the bath soup holder when I took a bath.

Wet market and modern shopping malls within 5 mins walk. Get to see and experience where locals and tourists do their daily shopping. Great balance of real life vs holiday experience

Disappointed & misled by Booking.com but Hong Kong is a fantastic city to explore.
    • Economy Single Room

Booking.com description is completely inaccurate. A mini bar, wardrobe, desk.. all a complete joke.. No furniture in the room except a bed - and that you had to crawl into from the foot of the bed (no space either side at all). My room also had an adjoining door to the next room so essentially I was in someone else’s room for the duration of my stay! I could literally hear every word they said. Generally I would call it a grubby, unkempt and very overpriced hotel. Location wise - with tram & MTR I found I could get everywhere I wanted to with ease so a good location but i’m sure you could find better.

Well located and fantastic house keeping staff.

We really liked the food served at the breakfast buffet.

It’s quite a long walk from the mtr station. Also you have to pass by the market to get to the hotel. The rooms are small.

We really liked the food served at the breakfast buffet.

Browse Charterhouse Causeway Bay traveller photo gallery