Reviews of The Salisbury - YMCA of Hong Kong 4 stars

41 Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong, Hong Kong

#31 of 272 hotels in Hong Kong

The location was spot on.
    • Queen or Twin Room with Harbour View

The cafe in the foyer for breakfast was really bad. It was super cheap but also very bad. If only we’d known about the other way more fabulous breakfast restaurant on level 4 sooner.

The location was spot on. The staff were really nice.

I wish We can staying for more nights in YMCA hotel.
    • Queen or Twin Room with Partial Harbour View

I wish We can staying for more nights in YMCA hotel.. the staff is very friendly as we r being upgraded coz was our 7 years anniversary. The Harbour view n the location is wonderful;)

Ideal location, great room , great food, but best = staff!
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

We did not know about the hot water 'switch', near our front door, hence we had cold showers...

The first thing you notice when arriving, apart from the air conditioning, is the fresh, clean ambience of this hotel. We couldn't figure out what the smell was, but it was so welcoming and pleasant..not at all overpowering, just a clean and fresh aroma. We weren't expecting the hotel to be so good! Location is fantastic.. across the road from the Hong Kong harbour, where we watched the 8pm Hong Kong night light show...excellent. (Done every night!) Around the corner from the hotel, one street back, there are many eateries, as well as Pizza Hut, Maccas, Spaghetti/ Pasta, etc. The staff are helpful and friendly..special thanks to Steve on reception. We were upgraded... never happened to us before.. Our room was wonderful, with separate bedroom from the lounge area. View over the Hong Kong harbour was great. Breakfast was plentiful and fresh. Thank you

Not Your Average YMCA!

Nothing to dislike

This was more expensive than our usual 3-star hotels but this was a big step up in quality and facilities. Staff spoke English and were very helpful. Nice restaurant onsite is cheap compared with other restaurants nearby. The location is excellent, easy access to Metro and Star Ferries.

Overall a very comfortable and calm base to meet with various friends throughout the city.
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

I am unable to think of anything.

My wife and I booked a room about 3 months ahead for this layover at what seemed a very good price. We arrived at reception early in the morning after flying from Athens - Frankfurt and enquired if our room would be available any earlier than 2.00 pm. Front desk girls were so courteous and understanding as they viewed our travel worn faces! The Fact was the Hotel was at 100% capacity the previous night so despite multiple screens and young receptionists caring for us they found a room and promised it to be ready by 12.00 pm. Wow great news ... but then they found a room that we could move into at 11.00am if we were prepared to pay a reasonablly affordable upgrade fee. Perfect! Those young receptionists were fantastic. So with an extra 3 hours to sleep, we were revitalised sooner and so started our wonderful stay at The Salisbury YMCA. Thank you to all those involved. Eighth floor overlooking central district across the water was a great offer. We like being near the ferry terminal✔️. We also like being near the Arts precinct and to access the Gallery Museum but it is undergoing major refurbishment or extensions at the moment. So next time for the Gallery. The Salisbury YMCA really is in a great position for accessing Hong Kong.

One of the Best Hotel
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

No bidet on toilet bowl...same main course of food everyday on breakfast...airport express bus pick up n drop off area not convenient....

Near to MTR and near to all shopping center...

Location ok
    • King Suite with City View

The bed was very hard and no comfortable, door lock to bathroom was diffucult to handle. Family room was ok size but small for family for 4. Can find other better hotels for same price.

The location was good and nearby shopping and restaurants. Swimming pool was good but only 1 meter deep, the other swimming pool was for ongoing classes. Nice harbour view from family room.

Salisbury/YMCA is still a good place to stay, albeit now becoming expensive.
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

Entrance is very ordinary.

Very well situated. The Day Restaurant offers good value for money. Room rates are now expensive for a YMCA venue, driven by very rich mainland people visiting HK. Staff on the desk and concierge are excellent.

Excellent level of customer service from moment of check in...
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

Excellent level of customer service from moment of check in to check out. Thank you and the YMCA Salisbury Hotel HKG - it always exceeds my expectations.Highly recommended.

Cafe convenient and reasonable choice.
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

English not so good. Wrong items delivered and second morning forgot the coffee in cafe. Depends what you want to eat.

Cafe convenient and reasonable choice. 4th floor dining much better. Menu or a Buffet much better variety. Staff wonderful. Location over road from harbour waterfront. Help with booking tours and pickup.

We decided to splurge and stay in a junior suite which didn’t come cheap given that we felt like we
    • King Suite with Harbour View

The Salisbury claimed it had been renovated but we couldn’t see the evidence of this in our room. The bathroom and decor was very dated and the bedroom furniture was old and battered.

The location of the Salisbury is fabulous - just a few minutes walk to the Star Ferry and shopping.

Great value and location.
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

Some elevators were under maintenance and therefore sometimes there was a line to get the elevator.

Really good value for the money, location is excellent.

Great!
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

Foods are yummy. our rooms is upgraded thank you very much. The view is so awesome! The people are very friendly and very helpful. Hope to see them again.

Great location, close to city centre and harbour. Nice and helpful staff
    • Queen or Twin Room with Partial Harbour View

The breakfast menu is just standard and almost the same everyday.

The staff were nice and helpful, although their English is a bit confusing. They also gave us extra time to check out because we were trapped in a bad traffic after joining HK island tour.

Very convenient location at a good price. We always stay at the YMCA.
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

We agree with the comment about the cold lobby. It is a common fault in many hotels in the tropics. In our room, we turn the thermostat UP, or off altogether!

Whenever we are in Hong Kong, we always stay at the Salisbury YMCA because we like the hotel and what it offers, and its convenient location. We always take a hotel bus that takes us, often via many other hotels to our destination. No extra suitcase hauling!

Great place to stay
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

Some more of the signpost directions to facilities would have helped. Concierge directions sent me to wrong ferry terminal, but otherwise helpful.

Nice room with great view of harbour, comfortable and clean, well supplied with extras, iron and board brought to room immediately on request. Good variety at buffet breakfast.

I enjoyed my stay in the YMCA

The breakfast let down the side you can see by the amount of Guest that use it everyday. Very few except for family and tours. Time to up-date the menu.

The Location is great.My room was a small single room but clean and comfortable.The wifi works well all over the hotel. I would stay there again on my next trip to Hong Kong in Jan. To all the staff @the YMCA;Keep up the great work.

Location can’t be beat
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

The location cannot be better. Access to Star Ferry, Nathan Road, shopping arcades. Cafe has good meals and buffet is very good. We had a great view of the harbor and could see the Lasar Light Show from our room.

Very much enjoyed our stay.
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

It could be a little expensive but compared to all hotels in Kowloon it is quite reasonable.

The fresh and clean rooms that are serviced daily. There is plenty of staff who are are all very friendly and helpful. We received a free upgrade to an island view room Thank You very much.

room is so so but night dress is not so good.

Originally i ve already booked for sinle bed but you arrange two bed for one room.it isnot some comfortable.because i sincerely hoped single bed.

room is so so but night dress is not so good.especially i think hotel,s fruit is delicious.

we enjouyed our stay in HONG kONG a great deal . I would stay at the Hotel again
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

it would be nice to have a coffee shop separate from the restaurant ( ex Kowloon Hotel around the corner ) we visited almost every day whilst in Hong Kong

the location was great

This is a fourth time to stay here.
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

This is a fourth time to stay here. I love this hotel easy to shopping and find something to eat. Thank you hotel for upgraded the room in this time.

Perfect view from my room.
    • Queen or Twin Room with Partial Harbour View

Perfect view from my room. Convenient localisation close to the subway and ferry as well as the airport train schedule bus stop. Helpful staff in the hotel. Visited many hotels in HK but from now on this one will be my favourite one.

Thank you, I will certainly suggest to friends that they stay at the YMCA.
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

There was a noise which was quite frequent which was a knocking sound that was always in 3s or 4s. I do not know if this was a water pipe or something completely different. It did disturb my sleep at times.

I was pleasantly surprised to be upgraded. The shower was a little low for standing under due to the room being disabled friendly, however, I was able to adapt. The area was much larger than expected.

We had a great time during our stay. We love the hotel and wish to come back. Close to everything.
    • King Suite with City View

Staff (Eric) at the reception area doesn't smile.He's in Customer Service he should be more friendly to the guests. But all the staff from housekeeping were very accomodating, greeted us all the time and always smiled. What I wish is there is a Microwave.

I love our room, so comfortable, spacious and very clean.

Having used this hotel since 1992, it again met our expectations.
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

The room did not reflect a Genius perk; it was a very standard and comfortable room with good facilities.

The hotel has its own cafe which provided our meals during our stay. The meals are not haute cuisine but at the prices on offer, not to be expected and more than adequate with a good range of choices.

Will stay again if price is ok

I would stay here all the time but sometimes the prices are higher that most of the four star hotels in that area.

Perfect location and very friendly staff

We get upgrade when we check in, the room is large with...
    • King Suite with City View

We get upgrade when we check in, the room is large with outstanding view the harbour. My baby is very happy when she see cars running on the street over the window. Staff are nice. Definitely will stay next trip.

Great location for touring Hong Kong
    • Queen or Twin Room with Partial Harbour View

Poorly presented and food just ok but not great and certainly not value for money

Breakfast not the best. Found very good local place for breakfast at half price of hotel

Excellent location comfortable stay
    • Queen or Twin Room with Partial Harbour View

Appreciate the pool is being used by a lot of people however spa not working and a bit of procedure to get admitted to the pool area.

Well situated polite staff and helpful great stay. Good pool restaurants met our needs

Above our expectations - very calming and safe environment.
    • Queen or Twin Room with Partial Harbour View

Payment was strange. Booked online and gave credit card details. When checking in I was asked for payment again. When checking out I paid again - because no previous payments had apparently been made. Hope I didn't double or triple pay!

Hotel ambience was calming and stress free. Location was very central in Kowloon. View from our 10th floor room was better than expected.

Value for money in the heart of Tsim Tsa Tsui
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

It lacked some more luxurious features. I thought the beds were too hard and uncomfortable. The sun terrace was lovely, it would have been perfect if it had a bar or even a café.

Position, cleanliness, efficiency, price.

Very nice room with killer views.
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

Breakfast buffet was too expensive. I only ate there the first day and had tea in my room the other days.

I was upgraded to a great room with a view. Krystal at the front desk was welcoming & able to answer all my questions.

The rooms are nice size, extremely clean, comfortable, modern, with great amenities! I felt safe.
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

For the price I thought buffet breakfast was included or some breakfast but I didn't get any food included with the price of my booking. I thought it was kind of expensive. It was lovely and this is where I'll be staying in the future!!

The location was perfect!! Near transportation and shopping, eating, sightseeing, and the harbor.

This hotel was a good value for families with children.
    • King Suite with City View

Hotel restaurants had very limited choices and not very tasty. The eggs and coffee were awful at the breakfast buffet.

The best location in Kowloon as it was easy to get around with limited walking. Received a free upgrade for our room. Incredible views of the harbor.

Upon my arrival in the morning they told me after trying 5...
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

Upon my arrival in the morning they told me after trying 5 times that my credit card was declined and it ruined my whole day as I thought the card had a problem/wasn't working. When trying in the evening again they redid the procedure manually and it worked perfectly. They have a problem with their machine! Be aware

Fantastic location right across from the harbor, good sized...
    • King Suite with City View

The pullout sofa in suite rooms is only slightly more comfortable than sleeping directly on the floor.

Fantastic location right across from the harbor, good sized rooms, great value for the money

Harbor location.
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

Windows steamed up to a point of dripping water and completely obscuring any view but we were told that this was "normal and unavoidable in Hong Kong" but our other H.K. hotel did not have that problem. The pools were a very long walk from the changing rooms, one had to go through a shower on the way so no towel possible and no shoes were allowed. My husband is mobility impaired, walks with two canes, so was not able to use the pools. The atmosphere was that of a YMCA gym but the pricing was that of a luxury hotel. Our other H.K. hotel had the best service of any hotel so we know that the service and facilities were inferior. Very disappointing!

Harbor location. Coffee shop and buffet restaurant were very good.

Excellent hotel in excellent location
    • Queen or Twin Room with Partial Harbour View

It's hard to think if a negative point. Perhaps that ,just like all other hotels here, breakfast is expensive.

Location location location! Great skyline view. Right by Star ferry. Great restaurants and bars in area. Hotel is of a very good standard.

Great location;
    • Queen or Twin Room with Partial Harbour View

Heating in the room was not providing sufficient capacity to warm the room (even with 12 degree outside).

Great location; clean room; friendly staff. good breakfast

Unenjoyable and would not stay here again

Everything.

Nothing. It was a horrible stay at this hotel. We did not enjoy it at all. The staff was unfriendly and unhelpful. The hotel was old. There were a lot of outside people using the hotel facilities. I did not feel comfortable in this hotel.

A fantastic value hotel given the wonderful position with spectacular views if the harbour.

The beds are firm , but that was okay, but the pillows are too skinny. Maybe that's a western attitude.

The position is great,; the staff are pleasant and very helpful, and its great value.

The best view in Hong Kong
    • Queen or Twin Room with Harbour View

Location is amazing! You can enjoy the same harbour views as you would if you were staying at the Peninsula hotel. The area is lively with plenty of shopping, food and things to do.

Wonderful hotel at ideal place
    • Queen or Twin Room with Partial Harbour View

Even with the switch to "heat" and the temperature set to maximum we did not succeed in getting warm air out of the A/C. Maybe a technician could have fixed it but we did not really care.

We were privileged by an unexpected upgrade to a suite with a splendid view on the bay from the 12th floor, really great. Excellent bed, spacious bathroom, comfortable living-room with the wonderful view from the sofa and large cupboard. Sophisticated lighting, very nice. WE would have liked to stay longer!

First time visit to Hong Kong. Hotel a little expensive but in a good location
    • Queen or Twin Room with Partial Harbour View

The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel is in a good position with train and ferries close by and only a few minutes walk from Nathan Road and the markets.

Location is fantastic
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

I think it would be fair to include breakfast for the room price. At the same time I understand that Hongkong is very expensive city.

Location is fantastic

Very big impersonal hotel but excellent value for money.
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

Very busy with people and families using all the Christian meeting rooms etc. Also YMCA members use the hotel facilities eg swimming pools so these also busy.

Excellent room and position very close to the ferry. Cafe food good. Very easy to get a taxi from the hotel.

Good for location only. The rest is not worth it.
    • Queen or Twin Room with Harbour View

Some staff were not Friendly. The room is small and not value for money. The view is being blocked by Hong Kong cultural centre but it was claimed that with Harbour view. Not value for money.

The location is good.

This place is located in a fantastic position.

Very hot rooms during the afternoon because of the sun

This place is located in a fantastic position. We were in 1088. Best views of the harbour. Great pool.

Great view in a great location, but don't expect million-dollar service
    • King Suite with Harbour View

Once you check in, the staff friendliness immediately drops to neutral - it's like they have your money, so now you just part of the furniture.

View was fantastic. Room was very large

given a suite to stay for 4 adults with one bathroom.
    • King Suite with City View

given a suite to stay for 4 adults with one bathroom.. be specific to show how many bathrooms are there.. did not have a choice to change to 2 independent rooms.. rooms were not available.. sad

Good location and service. Hope better food and cleaness.
    • King Suite with City View

Overall cozy. Extra bed was not satisfactory. Cleaness is not perfect because of some dust making allergies. Breakfast is normal as expected. Considering the room charge, food is not so good.

Location is perfect. Easy to access to transportation. Travel points like harbor city, 1881 heritage and even central are very close. Service team is kind and nice.

I'll be back!
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

Room was excellent, very clean and comfortable. Staff were polite helpful and efficient. This is my favourite all-round hotel in HK - it's got it all: price, location, service, facilities.

I was generally pleased with the stay.
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

Cleanliness could have been just a bit better. I noticed black hair on the bathroom floor and in the tub: my hair is completely white. Charges for breakfast were very high. Breakfast buffet food was tasteless. I did not understand why I should be charged more to stay a third day than my first two.

The room, the location, the personal control of heat,cool, the room amenities, the welcome fruit basket, the sheets and quilt, the map at the concierge desk. Food prepared in Cafe for lunch was tasty.

Nice hotel with a perfect location and a great view
    • King Suite with Harbour View

The free wifi was slow and unreliable.

The location was perfect, as well as the breathtaking view from a harbourview room. The junior suite was very big. The breakfast was good and the personnel were friendly and helpful.

It was a very welcomed surprise! Happy to return on next trip.
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

The room was very clean and had a wonderful view of the harbor. Staff was friendly and accommodating. The lobby was even wonderfully decorated for the holidays. The restaurant downstairs had wonderful food options for the breakfast menu.

Conveniently located.
    • King Suite with City View

Hotel’s pull out sofa bed wasn’t comfortable to sleep on.

The spectacular view of the New Year’s fireworks display. (Not free though, you need to shell out 200 HKD to go to the rooftop)

A truly blessed stay
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

There was some odor near the lift lobby at the ground floor. Like sewage odor

Friendly and helpful staff. The carpets were not musty and the renovated rooms are much cleaner than expected

A great place for exploring the city.

Not a single thing.

Everything was perfect. The room was clean and cozy with an excellent view. Great access to all main attractions. Next time I come to Hongkong I will be sure to stay here as well.

Superb hotel with great amenities and transportation access!

Keep up the good work!

Customer relations representative is outstanding. He/she responded quickly to inquiry. Staff is very helpful in regards to my lost item that was never found and location is the best for train and bus access. The hotel is a walking distance to free shows at the Harbour, ferry, museum, restaurants, shops arts center, etc.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Fabulous room and location, disappointed to have to call engineers both nights about water temperatu

A struggle to get hot water on level 12 😖

Awesome view after I was given an upgrade. Always lovely staff, nice environment, it feels personal and homely.

Good.
    • Queen or Twin Room with Partial Harbour View

Admittedly, I did not have the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on, but at 8.20am, hotel staff knocked and attempted entry almost immediately - did not wait. Lacks discretion.

Bed great, location excellent.

Great place. Location. This is where you want to stay.
    • King Suite with City View

I wish I found this place before. I would stay here again.

The view was great. Location was nice. Great value for money. The room was nice and the corner view was the best.

The Salisbury offers very good value for money and an excellent location.

The last time I stayed, I had a partial harbour view. This time, my friends paid the same as me and had a partial harbour view but I didn’t, so that was disappointing.

The room was very clean. The staff was very helpful. I took the option of breakfast with my room and the buffet was excellent. The location is wonderful!

Optimal location to discover Hongkong
    • Queen or Twin Room with Harbour View

The Location of the hotel is great, just a few steps away from the Kowlon Promenade and star ferry terminal. Metro station is just across the street. Try to get a room with harbour view on 12th floor or higher for a great view. Rooms are convenient and relatively spacious. Very clean. Staff was very helpful with information about how to get around in Hongkong. We used the breakfast option of the mall café in the basement of the hotel. They offer a really good American breakfast at a good price.

I would recommend this hotel to fellow travellers and family

Nothing, all was good

I felt the staff particularly helpful and anything you needed they helped you with. I also liked the security when you got into your lift, there was always someone there to check when I went up to have a massage, there was someone on the ground floor watching and when I got out of the lift, another gentleman was there as well. Security always there and checking

Lovely!
    • King Suite with City View

Everything! I plan to stay here iwhen I return hopefully someday! The family thoroughly enjoyed rock climbing available in the hotel. The veiw was awesome, we had a corner room and upgraded one. Also, everyone could speak English easily. Lastly, location, location, location!

Very good hotel in perfect location
    • Queen or Twin Room with Partial Harbour View

- The solution of the bathroom + toilet could be better

- Perfect location - near subway, ferry, speedferry, lot of shops and restaurants nearby - Perfect view from the hotel room - Very good ratio of price/quality

Location / Excellent Staff / Metro nearby / / One of the best hotels i have ever stayed i

nothing at all

Perfect Location - very near Victoria Harbour Tsim Sha Tsui - metro is like 2 minute walk from the hotel Excellent staff at the hotel - check in / check out / concierge one of the best hotels i have ever stayed in (i have travelled a lot and been to many countries) bed is comfy air con is fantastic keeps the room cool and gives you a goodnight sleep HARBOUR VIEW ROOMS OFFER BEST VIEWS OF VICTORIA HARBOUR can watch the sympohony of lights sitting in the hotel room. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE VISITING HONG KONG. i have stayed here on all my 4 visits to HK. Absolutely love this hotel.i have been made welcome each time i have been there.

Great location, easy access to MTR metro system, bus, ferry and airport.
    • Queen or Twin Room with Partial Harbour View

I thought the staff, although friendly and as helpful as possible did not know a lot of information about services in the city. Had to be found elsewhere. Also, the podium garden area seems a wasted space when on balmy nights there could be a great food and bar area. It seemed no drink/food available at any time unless you brought your own and one night the whole area was closed for any access; this seemed a missed opportunity for guests to enjoy the evening outlook of the city.

Hotel very close to main train station, Star Ferry, bus, and easily accessible to Airport Express for plane travel. Breakfast very good with many choices and great views from the breakfast area. Also loved the pool, although the hours were too restricted to fit tourist activities.

Location is perfect for tourists.

Not much to complain.

Location is perfect for tourists. Very handy for tourists using shuttle transportation from the city terminal. Staff very professional.

Location fantastic.
    • Queen or Twin Room with Partial Harbour View

There was a constant background noise in the room, sounded like someone was hoovering upstairs?

Location fantastic. MTR just across the road. Very close to star ferry. Lots of restaurants and some good shopping malls near by. Had a partial harbor view room, excellent size. Very comfortable bed. Clean, modern bathroom. Traffic can be heard from the room but that's a compromise worth taking for the view and convenient location.

Be careful! Credit card was double-charged!

My credit card was double-charged! 1st time (automatically) upon check-in , 2nd time upon check-out. This is fraud! It came to my attention when checking my credit card balance after the trip. Claim is still pending. This should not happen in a reputable institution such as the Hong Kong YMCA. Very bad experience!!

Very Satisfied
    • Standard Queen or Twin Room

Located in very convenient place and very good if you are travelling for work. Lots of high end shopping attractions are in walking distance. Can find good restaurants near by if you like to have your meal out.

It gets tired to see same food being served every morning. Overall it's okay.

It would be nice if they give daily "Chinese" newspaper. They serve same dishes of food for buffet breakfast at least 1 week, then change the sausage in Western food column & couple Chinese dishes.

Croissants flakey but not extra flakey. Bed is comfy but not extra comfy.

Browse The Salisbury - YMCA of Hong Kong traveller photo gallery