Reviews of Walden Hotel 3 stars

No. 353 Hennessy Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong, Hong Kong

#244 of 272 hotels in Hong Kong

• Standard Double or Twin Room

the walls were a bit old and not so neat

Location of the hotel is really great! although we lived right in front of the elevator it was quiet in the night, we could have nice rest! Hotel is really clean! Bed is big and comfortable! And we could enjoy haveing bath in the bathtube, it was really relaxing!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The lift is slow. You need to be patient if you stay on high floors.

Location - walking distance to Causeway and Wanchai. Many eatery and shops within walking distance, depending on what you need.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Worn out towels and bathmat. Pest control needs improving. The hard mattress on the bed. Miserable and sour receptionist.

I've used this hotel several times before and been satisfied, but not this time: a miserable and sour receptionist, cockroach in the bathroom, towels and bathmat were old, tattered and worn out, the bed was very hard.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Old, run down, tv remote hardly worked, expensive mini bar (which consisted of water, nuts, Pringles and Oreo biscuits). Expensive laundry service. Limited TV channels. Terrible internet.

Bed was ok. Air conditioning worked. Daily cleaning service was good. Friendly staff.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast not included, the wall in our room could use some upgrade

Great location, not far from the center, great price for where the hotel is located... Subway is about 10 minute walk... Towels were changed and so were the sheets

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Receptionist was rude during checking just because I didn't have a credit card! Rooms are very very old, need decoration.

Good AC, comfy bed. Good location.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff could be better. We were 4 adults and 1 kids and 1 infant. Need big taxi and asked the staff if they can assist. No assistance provided which is unlikely received from other hotel we stayed so far.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Very hard mattress, bathroom looked slightly worn down (some dark stains of mold), staff was polite and correct but not really friendly or welcoming (did not apologize when they wrongly asked us to pay for 2 bottles of water while we only had one).

Great location, good facilities, clean, quiet, good stay for 3 nights.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The stuff warned me that I will be fined if I smoke in the room and I got a non smoking room but still it was smelling of cigarettes, especially the bathroom. The windows were blocked so I couldn’t even open. The hotel is in a bad condition, the rooms feel dirty and my room on the 9th floor was very laud.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff was talking to another guest when i was chekcing-in. Also, she was helping with delivery mid-way talking to me. Id rather she finished one task first before helping me.

Overall good stay, with a bath to relax after work.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Small room,antiquated furniture, in need of a lick of paint.I relocated to another Hotel for last 2 days of booking as it was actually cheaper and a more spacious and well decorated room

The shower

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was very dirty and poorly cleaned throughout the stay. The AC was faulty, the bed was hard, and the towels stained. Bathtub was also stained and dirty. Previous guests hair was still in the room and even in the towels... The only good thing was the convenient location.

Good location. Some of the staff were nice and helpful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Always need extra towels. The female receptionist can question why you need them...which is sometimes off putting!

Stay here regularly. Great location and value for money

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The reception area wasn’t welcoming at all, very untidy, boxes everywhere.. the man on reception wasn’t much better. We asked if we had a double bed in our room to which he just snapped back ‘no 2 single’.. my wife stated we were newly weds and if we could exchange to a room with a double bed as we are there for 2 nights only to be barked back ‘no 2 singles, fully booked’... on looking at the booking it did state a possible 2 single beds so I took the blame for that one, however the attitude of the staff member(possibly manager) was quite poor and unhelpful... the room... the least said the better... but I will make a few points. There were stains all over the walls, tea/coffee/drinks/basically miscellaneous! Chunks of plaster missing off the walls. Dust on every object. The carpet looked like it hadn’t recievd a vacuum for months, which I believe for a hotel it should be thoroughly cleaned prior to every guests arrival. It was basically very unclean and unwelcoming. The following morning we decided as it was the last night of our holiday we would bite the bullet and pay another nights accomodation elsewhere. When we checked out the staff on reception said said ‘but you are booked in for tonight also’... I proceeded to tell them we were unhappy with the room and the cleanliness. We just received blank expressions like it’s a common occurrence, with no offer of apology or a room change, just a blunt ‘no refund’... in all honesty this was our first bad experience using booking.com. I booked this property as the photos on booking looked great, great location and tidy rooms, so I booked on faith.. before arrival my wife looked on trip advisor and the pictures were like a different hotel. The reviews weren’t flattering at all.. after our stay my wife emailed booking.com with all the mentioned points, to hear back absolutely nothing... thanks for the stay Walden!

Location.. other than that it was terrible

• Standard Double or Twin Room

During check-in I've been told that there is no record of payment; the staff also insisted that the payment was unsuccessful and thus cancelled, and I should have received a message about it. Turned out it was just issue of misplaced surname/ first name on the record.

Location is great.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room is very dim cause brown curtain and old carpet that has brown color too. The bathroom n towel are clean. But they don't change the bed sheet in 5 days I stayed which a bit not good. The front staff is not friendly (less smile) to ask the way n not giving any recommendation of good food or tourist attraction

The location near mtr and easy to find restaurant arround hotel area

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Horrible room, dirty, worn, wood board mattress. On reservation site promesses 19 sqm cable tv, in reality 12sqm and no cable tv and no foreign channels.

Connexion Wifi

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room booked was supposed to be superior and was given a basic, that was so small and poor renovation room smelt damp. Complained and got an upgrade but that was not much better smelt of smoke and open the desk drawer it smelt of durian. Walls had damp and plaster coming off. the bath was old and dirty only fit to shower in. I have stayed at places like the Kew green and they are 300% better. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone. Asked for my Genius late check out and said no and wanted to charge for 1 pm check out finally got 12.45 check out, but left before as want to get out. No coffee tea in the room nothing in the fridge, no free water HK$75 for a bottle in the room. Hair drier in draw small fixed lead and lead so short my partner had her head no the desk to dry her hair. Towles were old and some holes. If I had not pre-paid I would have moved to the Kew Green that they had rooms when booking 1 week before it was full.

Nothing !!

Room very small

WiFi excellent Air Conditioning just right Although official check-in time was 3pm Walden Hotel made allowances for my early arrival Help to get a taxi to airport express Shower excellent

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Aircond is not very cooling Building itself is old, but this is true for most buildings in the same area.

Very good location, short walk from tram station. Room is very well maintained and can see there was renovation done, despite being an old building. Considered quiet given the location (along main road with buses and trams).

• Standard Double or Twin Room

A bit dingy. The room was a bit worse for wear ( eg walls stained), and the lock on the door didn't look too secure.

Location was convenient for my needs

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Location, staff are great. The rooms are not luxurious but they're clean and comfortable . Wifi and TV work. It's an ideal place to stay if you're visiting hk - it's in the central area connected to all districts by metro.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel is old like in the horror film. With some writings on the wall. Carpet is old and dark. Staff were not accommodating. If you request something you have to go down and get it yourself.

Location. Along the main road.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Your hotel should coordinate with the online booking for the right rate to avoid confusion. Ms. Janet (Not so sure of the right name - the old receptionist with tied black hair & eyeglass-) to be polite when dealing with the guest, very RUDE. Not a good face for travelers who wants to relax. Giving bad impression to the Hotel. Please place a big sign board of Walden Hotel along the street that can be easily seen.

Receptionist are accommodating except of one female receptionist.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

very expensive for what you get... i've stayed at this hotel a few times at least 5x... right when they just opened and its quite sad because when i first stayed i thought the hotel was nice and clean but it's sad to say that it's no longer the same... the rooms are not as well maintained and our room didn't feel clean at all...bed is very uncomfortable... this will probably be the last time I will stay at this hotel. I honestly think management is not really maintaining the hotel very well :(

quite easy to find and can take the shuttle service H1 and get off at Novotel... it's also walking distance to causeway bay timesquare and convention center which is usually the reason i stay in this location.

Lumpy bed

Good location. Clean rooms. Adequate sized room. Quiet. Bed bit hard. But still good value for money. I'd go there again. Freindly staff.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Our very first room was a bit dirty and had bed bugs. Not many, but a few. I put the bugs I found in a container and took them to the front desk. We were given a different room, which we checked thoroughly. However, no reimbursement or compensation was made for the hassle. The rest of our stay was fine. The beds are hard, but that is to be expected in China and Hong Kong.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Cracks in the walls, expensive water in room (72HKD), two measly pillows for 2 people, shower water pressure was low, dirty tub, inaccurate description of the room,duplicate charges on credit card with unhelpful staff. I didn't like anything about this hotel except for the location.

Location was good.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Is really a run down hotel. They don't even try to make your stay a little better. Room is not clean, toilet not good. Overly used towels...poor WiFi.... I won't go back for sure

Only location

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Not friendly staff most specially the front desk. Toilet ws really dirty. Lots of mold. We stayed for 5nights and they never cleaned our room. Only changed towels we ask for an extra towel they coudn't even give an addilitonal towel. They never changed our bed sheets. Smelly room. Uncomfortable pillow. Ceiling on the toilet if broken.

Near to shopping area, restaurant and public transpo.

Everything!!!

There was nothing to like about the hotel. The rooms were pokey. There is no restaurant in the hotel so don't ask about breakfast. No restaurant was not made clear in the hotel details. Nothing to recommend about this place

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The washroom door dilapilated.washroom need renovation.forgot to take pictures.The bar list is not updated. there is list which doesnt coincide with the items on the table.

close to shopping places and restaurant

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Dirty bedlinen. No coffee/tea. No breakfast. Only 1 English channel. No extra key. No liquid soap dispenser. Dirty carpet. Dirty walls. Dirty toilet.

Nothing about this hotel that I like.

Nothing really

The location is really good. And whenever you need something from housekeeping theyre very quick to respond. Its cheap but everythings alright to me and the room is complete. It has a vault, a fridge, dresser, the door has peephole, its soundproof, a lot of lamps, the elevator is fast, the view on my window is really nice. Ill keep on coming back!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No free bottled water was provided

Staff were polite. The room size was decent. Very quiet as only a few rooms per floor. Room was clean. Hotel was conveniently located near to public transport routes and not too far from Causeway Bay mtr station. Many eateries nearby. Walking distance to the shopping areas.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Hong Kong is expensive but still, the Hotel was too expensive. The full price for the reservation of the first day even we were not there.

The location was almost perfect. The staff also organized a taxi to the airport. Nobody disturbed us for cleaning in the morning, we could sleep.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The service is not very good. Especially when they see that I cannot call a taxi but the receptionist don't help at all.

I really enjoy the high speed of wifi and the view from my 23th floor too.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I had allergic reaction to their bed sheet and blanket for 3 night out of 3 nights of stay. I reserved for one large bed instead of 2 single beds on booking.com. The hotel staff said they never received such specification - fixing this glitch is booking.com's responisbility.

The staff is helpful when I asked questions.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

1. No Refrigerator 2. No Spare keys 3. Smelly toilet 4. Dirty walls 5. Not so clean bedding 6. No free water daily 7. Request for single bed but 2 single bed given 8. Dirty carpet

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We booked because it was good value for HK but didn't feel like the staff really cared if we were there or not. The price doubled when we tried to extend by one night.

Ok location, easy to get places. Clean room.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room is a bit small, but that's to be expected in Hong Kong

Good location and ease of access. Stay here often for business, sometimes excellent rates

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

No complaints here.

For those travelling on a budget, this place is bang on. Ok so some of the furniture is a little old and maybe the place could do with a refurb, but the rooms are clean, spacious, and comfortable. The wifi works great, the shower is hot and has good pressure, and they offer some free bathroom products. The location is excellent, with the tram right out the front, and it's just a short walk to Causeway Bay MTR and the star ferry. There are also a lot of shops and great places to eat in the area. The staff were very helpful and happy to answer our questions. Great value for money. Would definitely stay here again.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

disappointed there was no complimentary water in the room, although I did ask and was given 1 small bottle (for 2 people)

The pillow was soft and fluffy - a bonus for Asia. The property is aged so parts of the room needed maintenance but it was clean and didn't affect our stay. It is on a busy road so there is a lot of transport to choose from. Close to the piers and Times Square shopping centre .

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bed was rock hard, mini bar empty, shower curtain full of rusty stains and the rooms were small. Not a very enjoyable stay.

Location to the Hong Kong Exhibition Center was within easy walking distance which was great.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

They want money for everything. Even after paying them entire amount while doing pree booking they took 500$ as initial amount which was refunded later. For a bottle of water they charged 74$ whereas in supermarket I got same bottle for 7$. They also took money for charging converter which I had to return it back once I left hotel.

Kathay <3

• Reviewed: 4 April 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

no restaurant or bar (but plenty abound outside the front door). At check out they charged me my bill and then revealed that the security deposit they took at check in (which was virtually the same value) would take 14 days to be returned to my credit card- this is outrageous! It is fine for a short stay for one person but rooms too small for couples.

Well located and the price seemed right. Wifi was very good.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Stayed there twice and both time was bothered by room cleaning staff. They are very noisy, shouting, sorting garbage outside your room door, watching TV very loud, while cleaning neighboring room. Yesterday that was happening starting 2pm to 4pm. I went outside twice to tell her to stop making the noise, but she didn't care. When I complained about that to hotel front desk, they didn't care much about it either.

Location is great, it's relatively clean room. Stayed there twice, would stay there again, because location is great. In general hotel is one star by European standarts and three by Chinese standarts. It's quite good value for money, keeping in mind that there are plenty nasty filthy hotels in Hong Kong for pretty same price.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I got more than I paid for (for Hong Kong standards), so can't complain. Can really recommend the place for a budget stay.

Really good price, excellent location, friendly staff. Very basic but clean and great value.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

In check in there was no mention of a deposit. The staff just took it off my credit card without asking me. I did not want this. I would have preferred to pay it in cash if given the choice. Didn't find out till checkout what they had done. Also, there was no complementary water in the room. For AU$ 72 a night. I expect water!!

It was clean.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

WiFi was dismally unreliable, management couldn't be bothered addressing complete lack of wifi for most of my stay

Staff were excellent, usually had answers and backup answers for local facilities.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

- WiFi was a little slow - Room felt a little old but it was still quite clean

- Short walk to causeway bay MTR - Beds were quite comfy - Bathroom was spacious for a HK hotel

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room is horrible. The walls are full of black marks and very dirty. Room is super small. Carpet and everything look really old and dirty. Customer service is bad. They can't even provide ice and bottle opener. Feel like a cheap hourly sex motel but the charge for a 4 stars hotel price.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

they did not change the bedsheet or the quilt. they simply lay it nicely for you when they make up the room. the wifi is not working at all. we could not connect to the wifi

its 5-10mins walking distance from MTR station. they are flexible with the payment modes ( i paid with cash but they allowed me to change to credit card payment when i was shortage of cash )

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was dingy and walls scuffed and marked , badly in need of refurbishment. There was no bath robe as listed in amenities, wifi was broken could only get in lobby. The safe kept jamming had to call to get opened several times. No newspapers. Bed was like sleeping on concrete. Bed unmade on several days. I was charged half a day to stay a few extra hours. It was recommended by you as a 'Favourite' I was badly mislead. Would definitely NOT recommend this hotel certainly not 3.5* try -1*

Nothing very bad

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There was no restaurant nor a lobby lounge; There was no food to order for room service or a good brewed coffee, at least. Front desk personnel , depending on who is on the shift were not accommodating to guests' inquiries.

Location is very good and is very accessible to the shops and MTR stations. The room was okay and wifi speed was respectable. Check-out was quick.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room looked a little dated, could do with a spruce up. Needs more channels on the TV, especially news, such as BBC world or Sky news. But overall, satisfactory.

Shower was good. Service was good. Check in and out efficient.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No movie channels such as HBO, Cinemax.

Near to MTR stations and shops. Near to two 7-11 outlets. Finding food is not a problem as there are restaurants and shops within walking distance. The historic HK trams runs along the street in front of the hotel.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Facilities are a bit old very tiny room OVER OVER charged prices for this surface and simple room Will not return

Location is great near Metro and Shopping areas, restaurants... Staff was pleasant

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I was on the 21st floor for one night. I'am not a fussy traveler at all. As long as the bed is half decent and I can wash I am pretty happy, but a cockroach in a room is unacceptable!! I checked out early because of this. Staff at front desk cringed when I showed him the photo and then gave a half-hearted sorry. I didn't feel he was taking the matter seriously so I demanded to speak to the manager, to which he replied I couldn't as he doesn't start until 2pm. He didn't think to take my details to contact me until I demanded it. No surprise, there has been no word yet from the manager. Minor point - walls are quite dirty and could do with a paint job.

The room is a decent size considering you are in Hong Kong.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel room was very very small; the walls were very dirty, the bed was hard, the comforter had stains. The shower had mold.

The location was great, and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 1 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

the rooms are too old, not neat even if there is some space for a HK hotel. It is typically Chinese style, so the beds are really stiff! We could not sleep well, we hurt our backs.

nice staff_ good location

• Reviewed: 26 November 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Small,full of moisture and dirty(noone cleaned the room for all 5 days.) Very expensive for what they offer. Unfortunately we couldnt find anything else at this price range. Definately a not to stay room.

• Reviewed: 25 November 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

You get what you pay for but feel there are better prices out there. Also the price quoted on Booking.com and price paid was quite different as well. Room walls are terrible and in desperate need of a repaint. OK for single travellers but wouldn't recommend for more than an overnight at short notice.

The Wifi was free and central location

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

DIRTY BED SHEET, DIRTY BATHROOM, probably now is too chip to have a good accommodation in HK. couples of years ago for same money I had a good stay in another structure.

position

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

it could have been better if there are more lights in the room and they need renovation the wood doors in the bathroom are rotten and the carpet is little bit smelly.for a short stay its ok

i like the location very good,the staff were so accomodating.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Bed was hard as a rock. Overall vibe was "tired looking". Needs a paint job.

Staff excellent and location excellent for exhibition centre access.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

Lack of Remote Contrl for TV; but little to watch on TV anyway, so no big deal

Quiet rooms in the midst of most busy / noisy city. Many floors with few rooms per floor so all rooms near elevator. Hot water kettle. Great location. Staff helpfull even after I checked out.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Stuff is OK, but not very friendly. Room dirty and heavily used, not in good condition. Very noisy from traffic even on upper floor. Old windows. Very noisy air condition, I was almost unable to sleep at night but the climatisation needs to stay power on, otherwise to hot in the room.

Just 15 minutes walk to the exibition center

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Hotel rooms require updating and the beds and pillows where too hard, not very comfortable.

Location was excellent, staff helpful. This hotel is exactly what I thought it would be from advertising, clean, basic and central.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was in the basement and had no windows. There was absolutely no space for our luggage, we had to climb over it to move around the bed. The shower was over the toilet so everything got wet each time you showered. Although they offered free WiFi the signal was so bad in the room that we couldn't use it.

The room was newly built and clean. It was very quiet and the air conditioning worked very well.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Just as a reminder: you get what you pay for! The low price includes:hard bed (I chose to lie on the cover to make it comfy), noisy aircon, participation in neighbors conversation if the noise level gets too high, walls which show the signs of long years of use

good location between Wan Chai and Causeway Bay, fair price, WIFI worked well, highest floor rooms have a bit of mountain view ;-)

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room very old and smelly. which different from hotel image show on website. Staff not very friendly.

Location is okay but have to walk like 7-8 mins to MTR.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Window cannot open. No security lock on the door. I'm from the north, so feel little hard to breathe in the humid environment. The surface of chair, and the bathroom are not clean enough. Facilities are old.

Satisfied with the efficient and professional staff. The location is just fantastic! So convenient!

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

It took a little while to check in and check out.and could not give me a double room as requested.otherwise it is fine.

The hotel is situated between two metro stations, but on a main street and easy to find. It is clean

• Reviewed: 3 September 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Looks bit old. As usually for Hong Kong - not extremely big rooms. No breakfast included.

The location is good and rooms are clean. Staff is helpful. Good value for the price. Already visited this place 2 times.

Browse Walden Hotel traveller photo gallery