Reviews of Hotel Sunce 3 stars

Grljevačka 146, 21312 Podstrana, Croatia

#7 of 9 hotels in Podstrana

Not one I would do again.
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony and Garden View

1. Struggled to converse with staff, but the cleaner was very polite and tried her best. 2. Not enough staff there to help the cleaner who was also helping in the kitchen and everywhere else. 3. Eggs were dry from being left so long. 4. The burner was not lit, so when I went on an occasion to get breakfast, it was cold. 5. YFii was not accessable in the lower part of the hotel where I wanted to listen to my online radio on my mobile and was not able to use it which does not work when you are on a hard workout. 6. Sad to see the cleaner still cleaning rooms after 9pm on one occasion. 7. Notice not written clearly to state extra payment of taxes to be paid on leaving the hotel. I was told by Booking.com that I had fully paid up, but was then hit with the fact that I had to make a tax payment which I still have not been shown in my terms and conditions as Daniella could not find it at the time of me leaving. 8. Not enough salt and pepper shakers as I had to go hunting around to find it. 9. On arriving to the hotel, no-one was able to explain the do's and dont's, so when I wanted to work out in the 'gym' I was not able to use the treadmil as they safely put the safety bit away but i was not aware of this until the day before i was leaving. I also went down to go to the gym the day after arriving and it was locked. I always do my workout from 5/6am so I ended up going for my workout walk on the streets, to which I was then caught in high torrential rains of thunder and lightening, where I had to shelter in a small supermarket on the road to get back to the hotel where I was completely drenched. WILL NOT GO BACK TO THIS HOTEL. 10. I was not happy to eat breakfast there, so definitely had no plans to eat there in the evenings or for lunch, so we didn't eat lunch there and we ate at AMIGOS each night. 11. The picture did not reflect the rooms. As it was our 10th wedding anniversary, I wanted a sea view.

The bed was just comfortable.

Location was good.
    • Double Room with Sea View and Balcony

Towels were not changed every day. There was little choice for breakfast. Additional insurance charge, on top of city tax needed to be paid. Lady who worked there confirmed that this insurance was not mentioned anywhere beforehand.

Location was good.

I loved the breakfast, beautiful beach, I really had a relaxing time.
    • Double Room with Sea View and Balcony

The room I booked had beautiful view on the beach, also the staff and the owner were always at service and really helpful. Everything was clean and breakfast was rich (loved the cakes). I had the most relaxing time and I'm coming next year.

Expected much better.
    • Comfort Suite with Sea View

Reception is almost/always empty, no place to leave bagages and we had to leave a message for someone to be there at the time of our check out (like in a B&B). It's not posible to have lunch or dinner at the hotel, contrary to what Booking says. From the room, we can hear the cars on the road more than the waves. The woman in the reception who doesn't speak english is very agresive, unpleasant and impolite. The first day we have beakfast but all the tables were dirty so we sat at the only one with 4 places and put the dirty plates on the side and on the floor after calling her to no avail. She became very upset and shouted to us in Croatian. Another similar episode happened in our room.

The young woman who speaks English is willing and serviceable. We loved the hotel next door, "Los Amigos", with a fantastic restaurant for diner, very nice waiters and food.

Hotel Sunce is reasonable for price but better served for German guests.
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony and Garden View

A limited choice of restaurants around hotel to eat out at night. Hotel was streamlined more towards German tourists Head Manager only spoke German and made no attempt to speak English to any non German speaking guest and was rude and unfriendly on two separate occasions to us. Room and bathroom both very small in size for our 5 night stay

Hotel proximity and beach access good Shops and bus route close by and convenient.

The Hotel overall.
    • Comfort Double Room with Terrace and Sea View

The Hotel overall. The View from The Balcony was glorious. Air Con in Room did not work.. Breakfast was very disappointing. Coffee was awful. Food selection was meagre and if you arrived at 9:50 generally nothing left..In comparison to other Croatian Hotels the breakfast was pretty grim.

Enjoyable vacation
    • Double Room with Sea View and Balcony

We loved our room with unforgettable view of sea. The hotel is situated on beach. The hotel has everything for successful and enjoyable vacation. The staff was very friendly, especially we loved breakfast cooked by Veronika.

Osoblje restorana, blizina plaže
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony and Garden View

The room is too small, the pool is to small, nothing like in the photos, the water in it does not seem to be changed since last year. Sauna was constantly locked, fitness equipment is fake, there are only two old orbitracks you can't really reach. Minibar was half empty, shower is kids size. The beach is within the hotel, but not children-friendly at all.

Osoblje restorana, blizina plaže

I totally loved the location of the hotel but the room ive...

Didnt like my room at all. Its good for maids/ cleaners or hotel workers to stay in. Couldnt open my windows because ppl could easily step into my room. Was noisy and dark. I did rent two rooms with balcony and sea view but they only gave me one and the other room was the totally darkness with no view...couldnt open my windows for safety reasons....i paid a lot for getting this room is not acceptable.

I totally loved the location of the hotel but the room ive got was very poor for the money id payed. I did rent two room, one was beautiful light with balcony and seaview, but the other room ive got for the same amount of monew was unacceptable, dark, small made room....i wasvery unsatisfied with the 2 nd room, so i gave my mom and my sister the nicer one. I dont know how they can sell these 2 rooms for the same price. I did request both rooms with sea view but thats not what ive got.

DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL, TOXIC STAFF MEMBER
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony and Garden View

They have a 3th age staff woman ( cook as well I believe) extremely conflictual, no hospitality, most of the time she argues with the clients, she argues with the rest of the staff members in the eyes of the guests. When she works in the morning she doesn't bring food on the buffet, if is finished. She basically pushes guests out of restaurant, she makes remarks to guests regarding how much one client eat for breakfast....or how long he is staying in the restaurant (although are 07:00-10:00 open hours). She refuse to offer oil or vinegar at request telling " this is breakfast not lunch or dinner to need it ( in german)". Staff are afraid of her. When I asked what is going on with this lady: Colleague staff said : it is always like this, guests have problems always with her. Since are complaints about this lady and she is still working in such nice hotel, despite her bad attitude => probably she is the mother or relative of the owner. No private business can afford to keep such person employed => can ruin the business. Guests were politely discussing among themselves that they are sorry for her age, but she has totally unprofessional & unpleasant behavior in public. I STRONGLY ADVISE: do not eat in the hotel restaurant, in the plate is served small amount of food compared with the money paid. Although you have a menu with side dishes included => you pay a lot, separately, the side dish and it comes in the same plate as a small bite. IF YOU DECIDE TO BOOK THIS HOTEL => eat in the restaurants around the place.....better offer, better food, better price, and you don't have this toxic lady around.You can actually see how the staff are stressed in her presence and witness the conflictual & unproffesional discussions, comments and gossips. HOTEL IS VERY NICE , BUT CHOSE ANOTHER PLACE. You need more than just a nice parking and nice looking hotel for a pleasant vacation.

Location, Parking, View, Clean Hotel => believe me : a toxic employee take that positive and transform the place in a place to avoid.

A small cozy hotel
    • Comfort Double Room with Terrace and Sea View

Sometimes the service was slow because of the lack of staff. I wanted to reserve a snorkel trip, but despite the promises I wasn't contacted. At breakfast the coffee wasn't good, it wasn't strong enough.

Charming hotel with friendly staff. Wonderful little beach where wifi worked well. Balconies offer spectacular views of the ocean. The description of the rooms was correct. The bus stop to the town of Split was close, but the buses didn't get often (twice a hour) and was not on schedule. Wonderful holiday week :)

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Suite

They took our money in advance. Cold water in pool. Not enough fitness equipment. No hot water when we came. Bad breakfasts, not enough eggs and bread. Sheets and towels are not changed regularly and somebody took some of our food products from the fridge when we were out.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

amazing
    • Double Room with Sea View and Balcony

everything was just perfect,from people that was working there the lady who was owner of place she was really kind and nice with us that we was feel like we was at home,room and view was so beautiful,food was good,and I'm sure i will go back again there and i will recommend to everybody

• Reviewed: 17 September 2016

Nice enough but very overpriced for location and 'spa' facilities offered
    • Suite with Balcony

In summary it was a bit like Fawlty Towers! Very few staff and often difficult to find anyone to get advice or assistance. Mainly German speaking. Very expensive for what was on offer. Advertised as a Spa hotel which it was not! The only spa treatment offered was a massage which when we tried to book they advised we would be better off going along the beach to get one!! We never saw anyone using the Spa / gym area We were also told that if we wanted a manicure we should go into Split. I also specifically asked in advance if our room had a sea view and was told yes.. We did not have a sea view and when we asked to move rooms we were told nothing else was available. When we asked about travel in to Split we were told best to get a taxi as the buses only ran every 30 mins this was not the case, the buses ran every 10 mins and for a cost of 12 kuna the service was great and good value. Versus a taxi booked by the hotel at 100 kuna. The traffic congestion from podstrana to Split could be bad, the journey taking anything from15 mins to 40 mins. Nothing really in podstrana so access to Split was essential

It was a very sweet B&B. Clean and modern. Lovely small beach, quiet and an ideal get away. We would have been happy with this hotel had it been half the price.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Very relaxed family atmosphere with great beach facilities.

Double room was a little cramped but an upgrade was reasonably priced - and excellent value.

Very relaxed atmosphere. Food was very good - large choice. Very close to the sea and excellent swimming. Nice food and drink down at the beach.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Nice small hotel right by the ocean with an ok restaurant...
    • Double Room with Sea View and Balcony

The cleaning of the hotelroom could have been a bit better

Nice small hotel right by the ocean with an ok restaurant and bar right by the beach. There are also some other restaurants at hotels close by. I missed a place with more "fast food" and snacks. There is a minimarket about five minutes from the hotel but no market, drugstore or supermarket. Nice staff but only one that could speak English so I had to wait for her if I needed any help.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Pleasant overall.
    • Suite with Balcony

Management at the reception desk needs to have a better understanding of payment methods on guest departure.

Breakfast buffet was good and more varied fruits should improve the quality.

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

Disappointing,way too expensive, poor service, not as advertised
    • Suite with Balcony

Not as described,expected larger hotel,this was more like apt.,poor cleaning,poor service in restaurant.too long,poor air condition couldn't control,Way too expensive...no safe that worked...tiny shower barely move in it...

The beach...soso

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

Very enjoyable holiday in Croatia
    • Comfort Suite with Sea View

Air conditioning didn't work. Service was slow in the restaurant in the evenings, and food wasn't as good as other restaurants in the area.

Enjoyed the breakfasts, there was a good selection. Very clean hotel. Ideal for swimming.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

We loved being in Podstrana as it was quiet and a short taxi drive from Split
    • Double Room with Sea View and Balcony

The hotel is right on the beach and has a lovely local feel. We had the most beautiful views from our balconies, our rooms where on the top floor but there is no lift.

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

Low value Hotel and poor hotel management
    • Comfort Double Room with Terrace and Sea View

Poor management and unfriendly. Staff is not trained. Low quality breakfast and dinner. Wait for example 1 hour for 2 steaks and french fries, in.condition that the restaurant was empty, not understood why we have been waiting so long.

Sea view and big balcony

It was an average stay. I didn't find it to be worth the price. Breakfast was average.
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony and Garden View

The mini fridge wasn't working and was empty.

The room with the Seaview balcony was nice.

100% back in hotel sunce
    • Double Room with Sea View and Balcony

Gospoda Mira je super radi punom parom activna zena gos

Everthing is best my Croatia

Good value for money.
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony and Garden View

Friendly family owned and clean hotel with a large room + seaview and a good breakfast.

Fabulous view

FABULOUS VIEW

Location was excellent and restaurants available locally.
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony and Garden View

SIze of room, very small.Breakfast was Ok but staff very so to replenish.

Quietness of location, with restaurant on the beach!

worked as a first night but really pleased it was a stop over rather than holiday hotel

Steps so very hard to carry heavy bags. Very little food, very uncomfortable sofa bed that creaked all night

Five star service
    • Comfort Suite with Sea View

Lovely staff and great location. Decent food and good air con

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

Staff is not very friendly.
    • Comfort Double Room with Terrace and Sea View

Staff is not very friendly.

I like location, breakfast and my room.
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony and Garden View

I like location, breakfast and my room. The staff is also very kind and helpful. I will be back in October.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

Excellent!
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony and Garden View

Great location, very clean, excellent wifi, delicious breakfast.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

Beautiful location overlooking beach

Beautiful location overlooking beach

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

Next time I'll book earlier.
    • Suite with Balcony

Last minute, last booking.

Very good breakfast, beach next to the hotel, very clean.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

Stunning spot

It's a bit of a walk to nearest restaurants/bars - nothing major but be aware

Beautiful location - stunning. Beach area..always lots of beds!

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

Excellent holiday destination, not crowded & plenty of...

No problems at all !!

Excellent holiday destination, not crowded & plenty of sun loungers !!

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

Perfect location, just a few steps to the beach, not crowded

Perfect location, just a few steps to the beach, not crowded

• Reviewed: 12 May 2016

Great location, right on the beach.

Even though the hotel is in a very clean and good condition, there were few easily fixable things like broken bentches in front of the building.Wasn't really an issue.

Great location, right on the beach. Rooms exeptionally clean. Staff very attentive.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2016

just that its on the sea front

its just running without staff ,there is no in door pool its just a lie there is no gym ,there is no sauna ,there is no staff the cleaner makes your breakfast , there is two oranges cut for 10 people its just bread in breakfast the pictures are all a lie don"t fall for it. its not worth your money its better to get hotel in split then its a bus ride for 45 min to get to split its just going to spoil your holiday final word don"t pay for it!!

just that its on the sea front

• Reviewed: 1 October 2015

Nice staff.

Aircondition was not working in our room. No big problem since the weather was cool at nights and it was easy to leave the balcony door open.

Nice staff. Ana was very helpful and did everything she could to help us.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2015

One can enjoy the holiday in complete privacy;

One can enjoy the holiday in complete privacy; pieceful and quiet, harmonious premises. The owner, along with other staff members, are extremely kind and helpful.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2015

The location Podstrana and the location and facilities etc...

Air conditioning in Room didn't work and temp 33 is not funny

The location Podstrana and the location and facilities etc of the hotel on the beach. Excellent room with amazing seaview. Staff extremely plesant and couldn't do enough. Would definitely recommend this Hotel

• Reviewed: 17 September 2015

We liked the room, suite for 3 people.

Lack of staff. Only 4 staff, had to search for someone if you needed anything. Annya was great, but she had so much to do. The owner didn't speak any English, so difficult to communicate. No information available as what was available nearby. Had to try and find out from Annya, which we felt guilty about having to bother her all the time.

We liked the room, suite for 3 people. Hotel was very clean. Proximity to the beach.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2015

Great place near the beach

There is to little staff, you have to wait hours for your diner and sometimes they serve you something else after long waiting. The staff is great and work very hard but the lady owner has a problem organizing well. Owner is very stressed, pity fot the staff they work very hard!

Great place near the beach

• Reviewed: 13 August 2015

Location by the beach, proximity to split.

Owner/manager seemed to favour clients from her homeland to the detriment of others. Service for the evening meal was extremely slow to the point where we left before the main course. Traffic on the road to Split is bad in high season.

Location by the beach, proximity to split. Staff very conscientious and helpful. Extremely clean .

• Reviewed: 13 August 2015

Great family atmosphere.

Great family atmosphere. Petsonal care of the owner. Hard working well organized and on American standards based small family hotel. Wonderful breakfast. Very good location in relation to Split and to beaches. Located on the beach. Good for joggers.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2015

Breakfast, location and the beach.

Aircon and fridge was not working - and it was 35 degrees Celcius! We had to sleep on the floor where the tiles where at least cooler than the bed. Wifi was so slow, that you might as well just give it up.

Breakfast, location and the beach.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2015

Good position on the beach.

When arriving at 6:00 o'clock pm, all the doors were closed both for reception and restaurant. We rang the bell and waited for 10 minutes but no answer. We called the hotel on the phone and finally somebody came and open the door. After bad english apologise we were offered the booked room and went to check it. Bad smell was coming from the bathroom and they said it is from the pipes and cannot do anything, but if we keep the bathroom door closed we have no problem. Air conditioning was very poor and was hardly helping during the hot day. The little fridge was also out of order and the drinks were warm. We had a very bad stay and when paying we had to pay extra 60 eur for which they said no invoice can be issued. I refused to pay without an invoice and after an old women, probably the boss was consulted, they managed to issue an invoice. Another one from their staff was chasing me in the parking place asking for extra payment for some wine missing from the minibar, after going back to check with her the minibar she adminited that inittialy she checked a wrong room by mistake. I left the hotel Sunce with a very bad tased. I don't recommend this hotel.

Good position on the beach.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2015

Nice location

We did not sleep for two nights as the airconditioning was not working... it ended up that red meant cold temperature instead of the typical blue when ac was on

• Reviewed: 21 June 2015

Nice private beach with sun loungers and parasols, great for...

no lift, shame the back rooms don't have a balcony.

Nice private beach with sun loungers and parasols, great for swimming in the sea, small pool on terrace was fun for the children, comfortable family suite; easy bus connections to Split and Omis

• Reviewed: 7 June 2015

Its very nice, clean and comfortable hotel.

First night we couldnt get our sea view room with the balcony and we were very unhappy about it. But they gave us bigger room for first night (without balcony), moved all our staff, were very apologetic....finally i could say and bad word about service.

Its very nice, clean and comfortable hotel. Directly on a beach and very close to Split city. Stuff is very friendly and helpful. Anything we needed they tried to help with. Balcony sea view is amazing. Excellent for quiet relaxing break.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2015

Loved the Country, really no good points about the hotel.

The staff are unorganised and not that helpful. I booked the suite with the best view as it was our anniversary, on arrival we were given a choice of a room (1 double bed with 3 of us) or a smaller suite with a side view, the room I requested was given to the proprietors family. Slooooooowwwww service, waited over an hour for a drink, the co-owner served himself?!! Took 3 hours in total to be served 2 drinks and a meal (just the one course!) Didn't go back for the rest of the holiday.

Loved the Country, really no good points about the hotel. The only facility they provided (hair dryer) didn't work! The indoor pool was freezing cold, suitable for a penguin or polar bear. The "Gym" was a running machine. The sauna was chargeable.

• Reviewed: 23 May 2015

A friendly owner and a good position on the beach.

A friendly owner and a good position on the beach. It was very easy to get into Split to visit the Old Town. There were some good restaurants in walking distance.

• Reviewed: 21 May 2015

Huge terrace with sun beds and view on the sea side

Surprisingly tiny room, too small even to open a suitcase (and staff claimed it to be the "large" one...) Two single beds: switching to a double bed room required a downgrade but with no price reduction (!) Poor breakfast buffet, featuring a few brownish apple slices, a single aged kiwi, a couple of sweetish pastries (carrying over the time we stayed) There was also something else like eggs but we didn't dare to try them.

Huge terrace with sun beds and view on the sea side

• Reviewed: 21 May 2015

Choose this 3 star hotel for our 5 night break for its...

Choose this 3 star hotel for our 5 night break for its location right on the beach. It's a small friendly hotel . The owner speaks no English but two of her staff do & they are very helpful. Rooms were spotless with lovely ensuite & balcony overlooking the sea. It had everything we required for our stay. It's outside split but very easy to get bus in & out to Split a short walk from hotel. We ate at hotel one evening & the other evenings walked along the beach to a couple of lovely restaurants with beautiful idyllic settings. I would love to go again.

• Reviewed: 16 May 2015

Not much

Too many rules. Hidden charges. €15/hr for sauna. Pathetic 'swimming' pool. Smell from bathroom. Unhelpful staff. Noisy main road adjacent. General scruffiness of area. Poor breakfast.

Not much

• Reviewed: 12 May 2015

Great location, just outside of Split and on the beach.

Breakfast was nice although options were sometimes limited, especially if you did not arrive early. Although it states breakfast is available till 10am we attended at 9am on one day to find there was not much left and items were not replenished.

Great location, just outside of Split and on the beach. Just a short walk along the beach to a lovely marina with some nice restaurants. Friendly staff and comfortable, clean room.

• Reviewed: 9 May 2015

Good location on the beach, clean, good parking.

Staff is not well educated to work on PC, we waited wor receipt very long time. They must improve their skills. Brekfast quality also need improvement.

Good location on the beach, clean, good parking.

• Reviewed: 8 May 2015

Compliments to hotel Sunce, starting with Mrs.

Compliments to hotel Sunce, starting with Mrs. Mira, then the rest of the staff, so welcoming and professional. Arranging all my special demands in such a short notice, breakfast I hadnt had in such a long time, all done very professional. Very clean and comfortable room, swimingpool looking over on beach and sea.. All that for very litlle money. Wish it could last a bit longer, definitly coming back...

• Reviewed: 5 May 2015

Sea view, beutiful place, beach which is near to hotel,...

Sea view, beutiful place, beach which is near to hotel, ballconi, and you have everything you want and you just need to relax and enjoy I will be back as soon as possible

• Reviewed: 2 February 2015

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Hotel Sunce, would...

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Hotel Sunce, would definitely suggest it to other friend. Friendly and very helpful staff, fantastic room and pool. Small distance to drive to the Split old centre. Right on the beach but quiet location.We had a wounderful grilled fishe in hotel restaurant, also tried a very quality wine. Gonna be back soon.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2015

The staff are a marvellous asset to this hotel.

The staff are a marvellous asset to this hotel. Always courteous, very helpful and appropriately attentive. The hotel is kept spotlessly clean. The bed was very comfy and the daily housekeeping was exceptionally thorough. The room was well equipped. The breakfast suited us, plenty of fresh fruit,cereals and yogurt, plus. the usual selection of meats, breads and croissants. Eggs were available to order. The breakfast service was again excellent from the staff. The pool area looked attractive although we did not use it, we save it for the next visit.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2015

Great views over the sea, wonderful attention to detail not...

Great views over the sea, wonderful attention to detail not just in the room but throughout the hotel. Staff were helpful & friendly & the breakfast was really good. Pool area was lovely & the beds really comfy. I would go back tomorrow if have a chance !

• Reviewed: 19 May 2016

Excellent beds!

Excellent beds!

• Reviewed: 27 April 2016

Everything was perfect.

Everything was perfect. Nice beach, swimming pool, very kind and helpful staff. The most delicious pancakes.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2016

Peacefull place.

Peacefull place. Nice view.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2016

I feel just like at home.

I feel just like at home. The owner is very kind and breakfast is delicious. Wi fi is excellent. Clean.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2015

Property is right on a beautiful beach.

Property is right on a beautiful beach. Quiet area. Great for a relaxing break. Very accessible to bus route.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2015

Location was great, staff were friendly.

Room was a little small for us. Would have liked an easy chair!

Location was great, staff were friendly. The massage was wonderful.

• Reviewed: 3 September 2015

Great beachfront location.

Great beachfront location. Helpful staff. Good food.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2015

Location is nice, owners and staff very friendly

We had no balcony

Location is nice, owners and staff very friendly

• Reviewed: 5 July 2015

Breakfast was far below standard. German owner was very rude to all guests. She is simply arrogant

• Reviewed: 21 June 2015

The relaxing quiet atmosphere of the hotel and the friendly...

The relaxing quiet atmosphere of the hotel and the friendly and most helpful staff

• Reviewed: 17 June 2015

View from the balcony.

The air conditioner is very weak. The towels are changed once in 2 days.

View from the balcony.

There are also 9 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.