Reviews of Hotel Central Basilica 4 stars

#113 of 355 hotels in Budapest

5.5
    OK
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with City View

Breakfast could have had more options. Rooms could have been quieter - the church bells very loud. Not a double bed - 2 singles pushed together

Friendly staff

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

The location is excellent.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Despite the unseasonably good weather, it was not possible to use the air conditioning, apparently the heating comes on at a certain date and that’s that. No full length mirror in room which was annoying

The location is excellent. Good breakfast and friendly staff

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

Very pleasant stay, excellent location and reception team
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The air conditioners were disabled because of the season, although the rooms were very hot. The equally priced rooms are not equally equipped. ( some rooms have no mirrors, some have no table and chair).

Very kind and eager to help reception team' especially Georgina, Zsuzsana and Zsolt. All the 3 made outstanding efforts to make our stay pleasant and were eager to help finding tickets to events and explained how to get there. Excellent location.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

The location was perfect. The staff at reception sweet. Cleaners lazy. Curtains too small.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with City View

The curtains in my room (in all rooms apparently) don’t cover the windows so expect the sun to wake you up at 5. I was in a room at the front of the hotel so it was very noisy at night on the Friday night. When i checked in I specifically asked about being given a quiet room. On my last night they put me into another room overlooking the courtyard and it was much quieter. My bed was made but my cups were left dirty and my tea and water were not refreshed. All of these small things negatively influenced my stay there.

The staff at reception were helpful and friendly.

Staff was very helpful.

Staff was very helpful. Andras, Susan, and Nicole especially helped with all our travel needs. Great location! Near bars and reastaurants and right accross the Basilica.

Not worth the money
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

1300 euros for 7 nights is crazy expensive for this hotel. Bathroom was dirty, water was coming down from the room above and the sealing was wet. The only good thing was location. Otherwise not worth more than 600 euros. See the pics. And nothing to see out of the window - just other hotel rooms.

The location is very good.

Good location and clean room
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff made the stay very difficult. We asked if it was possible to check out at 11 instead of 10 the day prior, and were told that check out was actually at 12. At 10.50 we got a call saying we had to check out by 11 and that we should've been out since 10- told them about the agreement and they didn't care nor apologize. We said we needed 30mins to be ready and they were saying they needed us out at 11 sharp! Since when could you change your mind with a 10min notice? Also when we took our bags to leave in the evening we asked for a taxi in around 20mins but 30mins later it wasn't there! Turns out they told the receptionist that ordered it that they couldn't be there at that time due to the weather conditions, but he didn't even let us know until we were almost going to be too late to where we needed to be!

Good location and clean room

Perfect little hotel!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Amazing stay! First time going to Budapest and it was in the perfect location, and a beautiful little hotel with wonderful friendly staff. 20 minute walks from many attractions. Surrounded by loads of restaurants and shops but quiet when in the hotel. The rooms were fresh and clean, a great size. Lovely breakfast! Can’t say a bad thing about the place.

An excellent hotel!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

An excellent hotel! The room was large and the service was first-rate. We booked an airport pickup because our flight arrived at midnight. The driver was both pleasant and professional. The crib we requested was in our room when we arrived, together with a set of towels for our baby - and the next day the hotel provided us with a baby bath without our asking! Breakfast was good, with a wide selection of hot and cold items. Last but not least, the location is incredible, right in the heart of the city and easy walking distance to all the sights. We will definitely return.

The hotel is newly renovated and has a very good location as...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Before arriving to Budapest, I contacted the reception desk to ask whether it is possible to have my room ready at 1 PM as I had a meeting immediately at 2 PM. They replied that it is possible. However, when I reached the hotel, they did not allow me to check in and I had to go to my meeting without the possibility of changing my clothes. Then, in the night at 10 PM when I returned back I had to wait for 15 mins as there was a single person at the reception and he was preparing a room. Again, in the last night of my stay I checked with the reception desk if it is possible to do the check out later than 10 AM and the receptionist confirmed that I can do it at 11 AM however in the next day, they did not allow me and informed that I have to do the check out at 10 AM. It was very annoying as there was no consistency between the stuff.

The hotel is newly renovated and has a very good location as it is very close to the city center. There are plenty of restaurants next to it. The Wifi connection and coverage was very good.

Very comfortable mattresses and great a/c.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We would have preferred to pay the city tax at check in rather than when we checked out.

Very comfortable mattresses and great a/c. Excellent location.

A good located hotel with very nice and professional staff at reception and restaurant level.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with City View

Not having a private parking house, but there's some public parks around the area. Maybe because of the location it can be a bit noise for early sleepers. :)

The location. Very close to the Basilica and other recreation places where can be enjoyed good meals and drinks.

Absolutely satisfied!

Maybe the room view...

High quality services, a very clear room and the other facilities, satisfying breakfast (we have high standards about the food as Greeks 😜😜), pleasant and willing staff, especially Georgina, and location of hotel is unique...

Nice location - Too noisy !
    • Suite with City View

Too Noisy ... not possible to sleep due to the street and people singing all night long. A hotel like this one with such high price rate must find a solution to reduce the noise from outside. This is not acceptable.

The location is perfect.

Don't go there with car
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Don't take this hotel if you arrive by car! the hotel and the garage are separate companies, the receptionist gives misleading information on parking prices, the garage rips you off heavily. The 24 hrs ticket restarts at midnight, so for a 1 night stay you pay 2 full days...nonsense. On top of that if you are driving family car or SUV, your car won't fit in the parking elevator. All the spaces in the hotel are very narrow and dark.

The location on the hotel is great, walking distance to any attractions

Hotel is located on nice area, interior of the hotel is...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Getting near the hotel by car is difficult. Garage parking near the square is really expensive, but parking on the streets is free during the weekend👍🏻

Hotel is located on nice area, interior of the hotel is modern, clean and looks luxury. Room was too small, bathroom too, but it was enough for 1night stay. Staff was really friendly and helpful, especially a woman on recepcion called Georgina, all hotel employees should act so friendly and humanly like she👍🏻keep it on.

a nice place to stay
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

breaskfast could be improved. If you go to have breakfast short before the closing time you risk that almost everything is finished.

very comfortable bed; central position close to the main tourist attractions. Communication with the hotel was perfect, and a special mention goes to Georgina, always kind and nice.

Accomodation was really amazing!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Accomodation was really amazing! Room was still clean, staff was nice and helpful and breakfast was very tasty - you can find there want you want. And finally location was exceptionnel. This place was really great choice for our holiday and celebration of my birthday :-)!

The decoration of the room, the photos on the wall.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The decoration of the room, the photos on the wall. The receptionist, Georgina was very helpful, answering all my questions fast. The location is also excellent and the room was quiet.

Amazing hotel
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Everything the locstion excellent. The staff were amazing especially Georgina at reception. I dont think ive ever stayed in a cleaner hotel. Everything was excellent. If ur looking for a gem of a hotel you have found it in the Central Basilica. Thank u for an amazing stay.

Great value for money!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The Basilica is close and the bells are working! Not all the time luckily, but if you prefer the quiet room, better ask for a room with windows NOT facing towards the street.

The location is great, in the heart of the city. The staff was nice and polite. Quick check in, quick payment! The breakfast is great! Never seen Prosecco on the table for breakfast before!

I was extremely satisfied with my stay in this hotel (quiet...

No remarks

I was extremely satisfied with my stay in this hotel (quiet and clean room, reasonable price, good location). Breakfasts were excellent (fresh bread, a variety of salad bar).The staff was very friendly and helpful (they always provided any support when I needed). I plan to stay here again next time I visit. I deeply recommend choosing this hotel.

Excellent for our requirements
    • Suite with City View

Not being informed there was shutters on the windows and having to discover for ourselves - the Basilica bells ring!

Overlooking the Basilica, very central. Felt safe with their card access to hotel and lift. Having a 2 bed, 2 bath suite at such a great price made our break extra special - travelling with my mum & teenage daughter. Breakfast catered for all tastes - lovely fresh fruit & bread. Friendly staff.

Nice hotel.
    • Suite with City View

Room was not prepared as booked. We booked suite with two twin rooms but on arrival found they were made up as doubles, not ideal for 5 male friends travelling together. Staff assured us that beds would be split to twins but nothing done for duration of stay. Put the initial error down to booking.com but the continuation of problem down to lack of action by the staff at hotel. Other than that, hotel is nice and the rooms are modern and clean.

Central location and cleanliness of rooms. We had a great view onto the Basilica from our window (206) and would definitely book again.

I liked my stay in this hotel. It is in a nice location. I would return back to stay there again.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

WIFI connection went off on my last night in this hotel so i couldnt book for my next trip! I had to go to Starbucks to access the wifi from there. Breakfast could be better with more options.

Great location, cleam room, shops are nearby, nice staff.

Great hotel, great staff(thanks for the help),in perfect...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Maybe you can do something with the sound that came from the electrisity box in the room.

Great hotel, great staff(thanks for the help),in perfect location, close to the bus that comes from airport,Basilica, everything is close...

unfortunately the staff that was in charge for the breakfast...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with City View

unfortunately the staff that was in charge for the breakfast was not refilling the buffet ..the breakfast was from 7-10 and we were going down at approximately 9-9:30 and there was almost nothing to eat. Not even plates or glasses for water

Brilliant location, great value for money
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Beverages (teabags, coffee sachets, milk & sugar) are not refilled each day. Each day we had to ask Reception to give us beverages.

Fabulous location! Walking distance to the shops and Danube river, brilliant restaurants and bars right on the hotel's doorstep, fantastic Christmas market just metres away. Loved the area. Great breakfast. Would absolutely go back to this hotel.

Location location location and staff were fantastic
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Rooms way too hot but this seems normal for anywhere you go in Budapest. Maybe the mild weather caught them out.

Location location location and staff were fantastic

ok but only just
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Check-out time 10 am, come on... And please air the rooms sometimes, there is something unpleasant about the room conditions.

the location is perfect, refurbished very nicely

Location is absolutely perfect, the staff was very friendly,...
    • Suite with City View

There is only one elevator, and it can get busy in the morning

Location is absolutely perfect, the staff was very friendly, and the hotel is beautiful!

Had a wonderful stay !
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff at breakfast . They were arrogant and not a single person spoke English . The cutlery was dirty and fruits were unwashed . Dipped grapes in cup of water and showed how dirty the water became. Suggest wash your fruit before eating .

Overall, Property was great with lovely entrance though would suggest they write HOTEL CENTRAL BASILICA rather than HOTEL C BASILICA. Reception staff Barna and Sabi went out of the way to help out . Room was very nice, cosy with good fittings and toiletries

Very enjoyable stay at the hotel.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Since I last stayed at this hotel it has been completely renovated and upgraded. it is very modern and comfortable, excellent bathroom, efficient air-conditioning. Breakfast was very good with a very diverse choice of items to choose from. Beds were comfortable. Hotel is in a great location in the centre of the city with lots of bars, restaurants etc. within very close range.

Great location in the center of Budapest
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I expected to have nice view, since hotel is located in the front of St Istvan Basilica, but I had a view on walls and windows.

Location is perfect. Room is comfortable and clean. Breakfast is fine. Hotel staf is very helpful and nice.

Not-So-Wonderful after redesigning
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Ia lot of new things inside but one of them are working with disfunctions. The breakfest is toi simple and it contain food with medium quality. The prices in these period are very high and they do not offer enogh for all the money. Difficult for someone with car - they don't have Any agreement with parking places.

The hotel is redesigned and it looks quite Good. The position is the strong print.

Excellent location / Managment is money hungry
    • Suite with City View

The fact that management tried to charge us over double just for an extra night. No compassion we explained to them we were stuck with no where to stay with 4 children and needed to stay an extra night and they tried to take advantage.

Location was excellent

Great Hotel and Location
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with City View

Very nice rooms, clean and spacious. Hotel location was just amazing next to St. Stephan's Basilica and close to very nice restaurants and bars and all the city attractions. Staff's attitude and support were amazing.

Rooms were quiet, spacious and clean.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with City View

The hotel is ridiculously overpriced for what if provides. Given the quality of food available in Budapest, breakfast is well below standard. No fresh fruit, one small plate of fresh vegetables, supermarket breads and cold cuts -- the eggs were definitely NOT extra fluffy, but overcooked and cold, coffee and tea water from thermoses lukewarm. Many cheap tourist restaurants in the vicinity. Air conditioning turns off when room card withdrawn, so room always overheated when you enter. Air conditioning insufficient to adequately cool the unit. The windows open, but noise, neon light, and food odors from the street argue for keeping them closed. Definitely NOT a business hotel -- there is a desk and desk chair, but no reading light anywhere other than next to the bed.

Rooms were quiet, spacious and clean. Location is ok for tourism, but not outstanding.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

I can just recommend this Hotel
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with City View

The bed war to hard for me. Only a few fresh Fruits at breakfast.

A great new renovated nice Hotel. Close to all…..New brand new modern rooms with a nice bathroom and shower. Extremely nice cleaned. Freundly staff.

Outstanding!!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Very clean and modern hotel, the best so far I have experienced abroad. Staff was friendly and helpful, they looked after us brilliantly. Great location with loads of bars and good restaurants. We haven't use public transport as everywhere was so close (and we like to see as much as possible). Definitely recommend Hotel Basilica for everyone.

I like Budapest
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Room good and classy, but not large.

The property is close to the Szent Istvan basilica, the nice Ertzebet park, the Danube and other tourist areas, shopping and restaurants. Access to metros, trams, busses very near.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Fabulous location!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The location is fabulous. The cathedral square is right outside the hotel door, and provides plenty of places to eat. Parliament and the Chain Bridge are each less than a 10-minute walk away. For transportation from the airport, the hotel arranged a taxi and the arrangement worked perfectly.

Foul odors, leaky sinks, poor breakfast options, overpriced
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with City View

After complaining of the terrible odor coming from the washroom, I was moved to a different room. The situation did not improve, still an odor coming from the washroom. There must be issues with the plumbing in this hotel. Also, both rooms had leaky sinks. Water would pool under the sink whenever it was in use.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Great location ,great hotel and very nice staff!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The only I didn't like was the shower in my room ...not really a shower just a bath with a shower head on a hose! It was very hard not soke the whole bathroom..

The best thing about the property is the location.. Lots of restaurants and bars close by...

Nice, clean hotel at a very popular touristic location with bars and restaurants closeby.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with City View

Unfortunately because of the bars and restaurants and lots of tourists the area is very noisy even after midnight, practically the whole day and night. When the windows are closed it is tolerable, but with open windows it is really disturbing. The neon signs are very bright in the dark and can not be blocked entirely by the shades. The WIFI is slow. Very few cable / satellite TV channels are available. No writing desk or comfortable seating, only plastic chairs.

Very nice location close to the St. Stephan's basilica, restaurants, bars, public transportation, river Danube and several sightseeing events. The hotel and the rooms are very clean and comfortable. The staff members are helpful and friendly. I did not try the breakfast, but I am sure it was delicious.

Good experience. Welcoming Staff. Excellent location for Easter especially.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The room cleaner was not available at the right moments to clean up the room. So it was left messy for one whole day.

I liked the proximity of the hotel location to merely everything in the center of Budapest. Very good price/quality ratio.

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

Grandsons christening at the Basilica
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast, very limited variety, basic.

Location spot on for sight seeing, all walk able from hotel or hop on bus close by. Comfort of hotel and very clean recently been refurbished. Have stayed at this hotel on 4 occasions and would certainly recommend it

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

The hotel is fresh and very clean.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The bathroom is very clean but the shower head is at a very low position, the plug in the bath does not seal and there is very limited bench space. Breakfast was minimal but fresh.

The hotel is fresh and very clean. The staff are great and happy to help. The room is quiet. The hotel is in a great location, safe, accessible to so much. Local restaurants are of a high standard.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Great central location, clean, comfortable, good wifi signal.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Heating in the rooms too high (it was almost like a sauna at some points in the night) & no way to modulate as it was all central heating.

Great central location, clean, comfortable, good wifi signal.

Buzzing Budapest
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with City View

Everything! Comfy bed, great location, good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Great location but room had some negative points
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Aircon not working, water pressure poor in basin and shower

Good location, within walking distance of major sights

• Reviewed: 12 October 2018

Location & new
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Air/conditioning didn’t work nor did power points & the kettle

Location & new

• Reviewed: 6 October 2018

Our stay was pleasant, staff very friendly and helpful, we had no problem communicating.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The late cleaning hours and the bathtub and shower system

The quantity and variety were excellent.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

Location, staff especially Georgina

Limited facilities

Location, staff especially Georgina

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Excellent location!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Excellent location. Great breakfast. The room was very nice and clean.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Great location, lovely staff.

Perfect place!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Everything was perfect, nothing to dislike

Central position - there is no better in Budapest, modern hotel, cleanliness, comfort

Great hotel with perfect location
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Clean, no disturbing noises, Nice staff, perfect location and good breakfast

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

Staff was helpfull, room was very clean and nice.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Booked room with breakfast included-was not satisfide with food options!

Staff was helpfull, room was very clean and nice. Location amaizing!

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

special one
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with City View

I like the staff in reception, they were so friendly and supporting...specialy Gerorgia and Suzane...they were special...

Great Location, Kind staff

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Like home stay

Notjing really

Location, breakfast, staff

The location is excellent, but it is also quiet.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The location is excellent, but it is also quiet.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room is very small. Breakfast is very poor

Poor
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Air con didn’t work Rain came in windows Breakfast setting and quality poor

Excellent location

Excellent location

Love the location.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The bed was too hard. I woke up many times in the first night.

Location is the best.

Very clean.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with City View

Very clean. Good location and friendly staff.

The smell in the bathrooms is very bad

The smell in the bathrooms is very bad

Fantastic.

?

Very central location. Perfect to explore the city. Extreme friendly and helpful staff. Georgina was very helpful at the reception!!

Excellent location.

Problems with safe.

Excellent location. Good breakfast. Helpful personal.

Location, receptionists, friendly staff