Reviews of City Hotel Matyas 3 stars

1056 Budapest, Március 15. tér 8., Hungary

#256 of 344 hotels in Budapest

We throughly enjoyed our stay in Budapest. But we would not stay in Hotel Matyas again.
    • Double or Twin Room with Danube View

There are about a dozen stone steps into the hotel from the road. Not good if you have a heavy suitcase. There was also another staircase up to the lift. Therefore getting to and from room 202 is a struggle especially if you are of older years. The carpet on the inner staircase was worn out and dirty and should be replaced before someone trips on it. There was no safe in the room, although there is one in reception. A lot of areas should be renovated. There was plenty of choice for breakfast, but very little fruit and no boiled eggs. The wifi was not very efficient.

The bed was comfortable. We had a room on the second floor overlooking the Elizabeth Bridge and the Danube, but the traffic is noisy as the road is extremely busy and fast. Room 202 and there were double windows to keep the noise down. It was a secure room and we had to go through two locked doors to get into the room.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

The fact that it was so close to the city center, it has the...
    • Double or Twin Room

There was an issue with the shower door and the breakfast could have been a bit more diverse. Besides that everything was perfect!

The fact that it was so close to the city center, it has the perfect location to reach everything in short time.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Comfortable and convenient. A little taste of old Budapest.
    • Double or Twin Room with Danube View

Lots of stairs even to reach reception, then more stairs to reach the elevator which could only fit one person with luggage at a time. Room was a little old fashioned and curtain didn't completely cover window.

The location was great. The air con in the room was really good. Room was clean. Staff were helpful, arranged taxis and recommended a good restaurant. Internet also very good.

It’s in a very old building which some people might not like.

No lift and some spiral staircases. If you have some big bags can be a little tough. Outside is a bit loud but with AC on and window closed didnt hear much.

It’s in a very old building which some people might not like. Location is unbelievable as right near Vaci Utca and the Erzsebet Bridge. Walked around the one night I was there and it was great views and sights. Breakfast is good and is in basement. A good selection of things but I’m really just an egg and cereal person. I thought it was clean but it does look a little run down, but its a historic building. Receommned if you are going to be in city for sure. Get off Vaci street and you will find some good places to eat that arent so touristy.

Close to city center
    • Double or Twin Room

The staff at reception was teribile! We paid for one thing and we received total different ! When asked for something he Said its not him or he doesnt know ! :( No hot water all the time . The smell inside the hotel was awfull For our full stay there we had outside our room on the hall the hotel troleys with the bed sheet and other stuf. For sure we will not go again there !!!!

Close to city center

This hotel is very well located, very central, in the very...
    • Double or Twin Room

You cannot regulated air conditioning yourself, there is no remote control in the room - you have to go to the reception and ask one. There are some stairs until you get to the reception and then elevator, so you have to drag suitcases.

This hotel is very well located, very central, in the very heart of the city. It's situated in a historical building. The size of the room is decent, convenient for 2 people. Air conditioning works well. Breakfast is rather good. We had a very quite room on a top floor - it was really very quite despite the central location.

Give it a chance.
    • Double or Twin Room

I did read some of the reviews a few days before our visit (booked a few months ago) and was worried. However I feel some of the comments were harsh and a bit 'picky'!. There are homeless but isn't that in every city?, there was slight noise but it is in the heart of Budapest and it is dated but clean and tidy. Give this hotel a try, it is good value if you book in advance and relish the unique Hungarian style.

This is a very old building and in parts, true Hungarian style. It is dated and could do with a some money spent on some facilities however we have no complaints about it for the price we paid. It was clean, tidy, comfortable bed, air conditioning, plenty wardrobe space and suited our needs as tourist.

Good place to stay, excellent location, professional staff, it's even better than it looks
    • Double or Twin Room

Location is very good, real value for the money, staff and management are very good, ready to fulfill if you have any special demands. I will definitely stay here again.

This place gets a thumbs up for its great location in the heart of Budapest at a good price.
    • Double or Twin Room

This place is all about an amazing location for a really good price. It's a bit run down, but it is near the river, near great pedestrian walking areas with shops and restaurants. Plus there is a really cool historic beer hall in the basement.

Avoid unless absolutely necessary,
    • Double or Twin Room

During check-in the staff was extremely unfriendly. He even made anti-gay remarks when asking about my partner (I am not gay but I found his remarks highly inappropriate). The roomed smelled stuffy and damp. This did not change throughout our stay. The air conditioning required us to leave a deposit to get the remote for it. We were not told this in advance, but only after going back to inquire at reception. The reception staff was very unfriendly in explaining that we needed to leave a deposit for the remote. Even after doing this, the air conditioning only worked for one night, after which it did not cool anymore. Last, but by no means least, the hotel shares the building with a brothel (or something close to it) disguised as a massage saloon.

The great location is the only thing worth while about this hotel.

Pleasant stay
    • Double or Twin Room with Danube View

No coffe facilty in room, iron was leaking , aircontionong not working adequately

Friendly staff, walking distance to all attraction. Amazing view of the Danube

Excellent location... poor customer service
    • Double or Twin Room

Reception staff, we interacted several times with at least 4 different old men. Hard to choose which one was more grumpy and rude. Breakfast is very bad and with limited options. There is no shampoo in the rooms.

Location is perfect and had a nice river view from the room.

Older property with character, would use again.
    • Double or Twin Room

As has been pointed out before there are no lifts so only suitable for able bodied, but staff helped with our bags without being asked, so we had no problems.

Fabulous location just of the main pedestrian shopping street. Very easy to find, internet directions made it sound more complicated than it was. Right next to Elizabeth bridge and 100 mts from Danube.

Good central place to stay in Budapest
    • Double or Twin Room with Danube View

There are stairs up to reception, more to reach the lift, and more down to the restaurant, so not ideal for those with mobility issues. The room, while comfortable and clean, was rather basic with no toiletries (except liquid soap) and no tea/coffee facilities. The restaurant serves a meat-heavy touristy menu in the evening - only recommended if you enjoy an accompaniment of gypsy violins.

The hotel is in a big old building arranged around a central courtyard. Very helpful staff on reception, large room with comfortable bed, good breakfast, very good central location. I had a room with a nice view of the Danube, and although it also overlooked a busy road, the double glazing kept the room very quiet.

A terrible disappointment and not at all what the pictures show on their website,
    • Double or Twin Room

We cancelled our four night stay after one night. Moved elsewhere. It has to be said that this was not a problem and we only paid for one night. They were very understanding. It is very central yes but that was about it. We were shown two rooms. One was "one of our best sir". See pictures. Dirty, damaged and not nice.

The only thing I liked so to speak was a very civil and nice man at the reception. He was very helpful.

The staff was extremely helpful.

I like to watch tv at night. I wish there was more English speaking channels besides the current events (news) channels.

The staff was extremely helpful. I also liked that the bus stop was just a 30 second walk away. Very good location and on one of the hop on hop off bus stops as well.

Location is perfect for walking.

The hotel is in old building and interior looks old sometimes.

Location is perfect for walking. The walking street is very close and you will found a lot nice places. There is a bridge close to the hotel.

To stay in Budapest was a wonderful experience. A beautiful city and very much to see
    • Double or Twin Room with Danube View

The hotel except the room itself was rather dirty and a vacume cleaner would have done a dramatic change in corridors and stairs. I must say that the brekfast was dissaponting.

The room it self was very fine. Clean with a great vieu and nice aircondition which we had to ask the staff to come with the remote controller. Which was on the same stage for 5 days because the staff didn´t want to leave the remote controller in the room. I also had to ask for a hairdrayer which I had to deliver before I left. The bed was clean and nice.

Hotel is located near metro station, major road (Vaci street), which is very convenient. Hotel itself is rather old but reasonable price considering location.

Good location if you want to walk around the city.
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was a little disappointment. Overall shabby look. View from my ground floor room.was to the next door building's wall. Why is the lightning often so poor in hotel tooms?

Good location if you want to walk around the city.

Perfect location will be amazing when finished
    • Double or Twin Room

Tea and coffee facilities would be nice. Breakfast was terrible so wouldn't recommend paying extra as we actually went out the second morning. My husband said he'd never had coffee that tasted so bad. Air con works going on while we were there so panels missing from ceiling. Would have been nice to have been informed before we got there.

Perfect location if you just want a room to base yourself and get your head down. Check in was really easy and very helpful when we wanted to leave our bags. Room was clean and tidy.

Location close to main atteactions.
    • Double or Twin Room

We were challenged a few times near property that were false representation , fake police that tried to advantage us - wanted passports . They were pathetic but left a sour taste to hotel vicinity

Location close to main atteactions. Staff was not always at desk

Location, Luggage Room.
    • Double or Twin Room

Very rude staff, no understanding, no empathy, no hair dryer, no flip flop, carpets smells bad, water doesn’t drain in the bathroom, slow wifi in the room!

Location, Luggage Room.

• Double or Twin Room with Danube View

Every thing it was one of the worst places we stayed in avoid at all cost .we stayed in eight hotels on our trip and if we could have canceled we would have .I intend to send a email to Booking.com as soon as I get a chance

Great Location, Staff Friendly, Rooms good size - but looks a bit worn and tired in public areas

Hotel seemed to be very dark, when asked was told that two buildings with apartments was converted into the hotel, which I think is probably not complete yet so a bit of a warren. Public areas and hallways could do with a bit brighter decor and clean as quite dark and dusty in some places. Missed my morning and evening hot drink as no kettles provided in room.

Location was marvellous spot on for getting everywhere, including all different types of transport. Staff were very helpful and the room was clean and beds comfortable. You could see that the rooms were recently refurbished I would say.

3.5
    Terrible and dirty place, no value for money.
    • Double or Twin Room

Really terrible and dirty place already in the reception. When searching for hotel, this place appeared on booking.com pages as a great deal with prize drop from 112 euros to 58 euros. You can have nice places in Budapest for 58 euros, but this was under the level of a cheap hostel. If I were not as tired that I was when arrived at late night, I definitely would have changed the place immediately.

Nothing else than location.

Disappointing, had high expectations from the hotel but they’ve just weren’t met.
    • Double or Twin Room

Pictures were not reflective of the room, we had to switch as the first one was just not up to scratch. The air con was broken and ceiling in the corridor coming down. Expensive when could have stayed in a nice Airbnb for less. No amenities such as toothbruth and shower gel was like hand wash and dispensed from a pump. Breakfast was supposed to be a highlight but they ran out of scrambled eggs at 9:30 as didn’t have much of a selection either.

The staff and proximity to town was really the only things good about this place. Staff really excelled and they were more than helpful when we requested to change rooms, and had to also check in late. Front desk also helped us book a wonderful dinner cruise.

Location is excellent

I had to buy shampoo and washing gel by myself because I didn't know what kind I received. It was for body and hair in one and not original

Location is excellent

Hotel Pilvax substitute
    • Double or Twin Room

When I arrived they said a water pipe had broken so they had to move me hotels. This was no problem, but in general, the hotel Pilvax has awful showers that had such high water pressure that it actually hurt. The shower door was broken and one side kept falling off the track when I opened it. The room was so unbearably hot, even tho I tried the air conditioner and it didn’t work, I had to sleep with the windows open on a very busy street on a Friday night and was woken up multiple times by hooting and hollering of crowds. The older front desk lady with the short hair was lovely, but the rest of the front desk employees I encountered were borderline rude and really couldn’t be bothered to even look at me as I walked in. The female employee with the short blonde hair was very friendly and always said good morning to me. The room was very outdated and severely over priced for what it was.

The breakfast was good. And the bed was comfy. The location was good.

• Double or Twin Room

Attitude of the staff was ver poor. There was lunch break at the reception, and our luggage was locked up for 30 minutes. We were almost missing our train, and there was no way out.

Great location...value for money...
    • Double or Twin Room

We had a stroller so the entrance with stairs was not so good.....look of the building is bit old from outside .....but thats probably same across that district...but otherwise the room was modern and good...

Location was good....close to hop on hop off stops...close to boat stop..most of the attractions were walking distance...

Hotel NOT to recommend!
    • Double or Twin Room

1. Personal working at reception doesn't meet expetations at all! 2. There is no elevator/lift in the hotel 3. Ther is no hotel parking 3. Very small room corridors where you have to take few steps up and down before you reach your room 4. Room has a window looking to the another buílding 10 meter from your room, no sun att all

Clean room close to downtown!

Great location and wonderful staff.
    • Double or Twin Room

The staff was incredibly nice and helpful. I even had my heavy suitcase carried up 1 flight of stairs. Nothing was too much to ask. It is also a fantastic location.

Friendly staff who helped with our luggage as there are quite a lot of steps. Good central location.

The shower needs updating

The shower was pretty dodgy with the mould on the ceiling, very cramped and it leaked so there was water all over the floor when you got out. There was a place in the floor in the main room that sank when you walked on it.

Good location, poor service and quality

You have to climb several series of flights of stairs up and down on narrow hallways to reach an elevator, which is very inconvenient with bulky and heavy luggages and back problems. The quality of the facilities is rather poor, with apparently no intention to improve it. Pieces of fabrics smaller than the window were hung as block-out curtain, the ceiling in the bathroom was moldy, and the door of the tiny shower was broken, making the shower almost unusable. When reporting the broken shower, the staff's solution was to write it in a book, but not have it fixed; reporting was considered to have solved the issue from their perspective. When asking for a solution repeatedly the following day, they said it cannot be repaired, as it needs to be replaced completely, which cannot be done when the room is occupied. They offered me to move to another floor, but could not provide help to pack up and move my heavy luggage; given my busy work schedule, I could not afford the time to move, and stayed with a broken shower throughout, having to go to a hairdresser to get my hair washed. At check-out, the hotel needed the room to prepare it for the next guest, saying that the view will make up for the useless shower to the next guest (!?!). Overall, staff seemed to be well intended, but when it came to solving problems, they provided more excuses than solutions, and seemed to consider the poor quality of the place perfectly acceptable.

The view from the room is beautiful, and the room is very spacious. Breakfast is rich, in buffet menu, although with no variation over the days.

Hotel was very good for the price which included breakfast.
    • Double or Twin Room

For the price don't think one should complain.

Hotel was very good for the price which included breakfast. Was 30 metres from the Danube River and close to major attractions. Staff were very helpful. Would definitely use again.

The property is in a very good location only a 5 min walk...
    • Double or Twin Room

The beds aren’t very comfortable and the room overall is bare basic but comfortable enough.

The property is in a very good location only a 5 min walk into the centre of the pest side.

big, comfy rooms, right in the city centre for good price
    • Double or Twin Room

Yes, the bathrooms are a bit tired, but the shower it's so good, i don't care about the tiles. :)

The beds very comfortable, rooms extra big. Considering, that this hotel is in the heart of the city, you get more than you pay for.

Basic hotel in the most central place
    • Double or Twin Room

the room is a bit outdated -but it was ok for us

superb location - right on vaci utca street and near the danube river the room was clean and comfortable it was warm in the room (january) recieption was friendly and helpfull

Excellent hotel

City Hotel Matyas is a gem of Budapest ! The location is fantastic in central Budapest,100 mertes from Danube , 50 metres from Vaci Street , 50 metres from tram station and 300 from metro . I had a big room ,with new furniture , very warm ,excellent for a winter day . The breakfast was very good ,with sauseges ,eggs ,tomatoes ,various tipes of bread , jougurt ,fruits . Very nice and profesional waiters .Special thanks to Bela from Reception ,he was very nice and helpful .

Very nice hotel on the center of Budapest

The shower door was broken, absent shampoo. There was little bit dark in the room

Big room for one person, good breakfast, room cleaned every day, changed towels very often, not old furniture, hotel located in the center of the city, around were a lot of grocery stores, restaurants, souvenirs shops...

Beautiful holiday
    • Double or Twin Room

We had to change the smoking room, too much smell of smoke

The staff has been very available and helpful, they called a taxi for us and fix our ‘changing’ of room. They spoke many languages and they are very funny. The room has been big and clean, it had also a tv with channels of many country. The location, perfect!! It was near the Elizabeth Bridge, at 10 minutes from the city center.

Property is situated perfectly, in the center of Budapest, 2...
    • Double or Twin Room

The fan from the bathroom was dusty. They could make a detailed cleaning from time to time to small things like that.

Property is situated perfectly, in the center of Budapest, 2 minutes walk from Vaci Utca , with quick access to every important places to visit. Room was spacious, 3 windows , 2 of them with street view (to Danube and Buda Castle), it was warm and pleasant atmosphere in the room. Breakfast with enough choices for our taste. For a 3 stars Hotel, was perfect, Good value for money

Very well located with good cost x benefits
    • Double or Twin Room

They had 1 new person on reception for the 3 nights I was there and only this one young boy since to be doing the customers a favor for being there. All others were wonderful and very supportive. The bathroom is not so small but the shower area is minuscule. They could distribute it better.

The hotel is very well located, the service is generally good, except for only one person on reception on the night of Jan 26 th. It is a good cost benefit and breakfast worth every cent

Never again
    • Double or Twin Room

Rooms were not clean when we arrived, the bathroom was dirty, no hairdryer. We were on the second floor, not comfortable for the restaurant and reception as it was from another entrance. Only the last day there was a nice person at the reception, however the same last day we had a rash from the eggs we had at breakfast. No working machine for drinks at reception, no non-stop shop near the hotel, which I s a bad combination. Wouldn't recommend

There was a place to store the baggage. The location is good

An absolute bonus

The room was very comfortable and large, however, it was right above the reception area (rm 103) and you could hear most all the conversations especially those late at night and very early in the morning. Several times it woke me up. I would've rated it perfect had it not been for this.

Fantastic location -minutes walk from Vaci ul pedestrian street, the Danube and docks, Great Market hall and many other historic sites and even Hop On Hop Off bus stops. I could see Buda Castle and the Danube from my room. Change stores and restaurants close by. The reception desk was courteous and very helpful. Definitely recommend this place. Such a great value for the money.

Good.
    • Double or Twin Room

On the web site free Wifi is available but only using computer near the front desk only. y'ou need complementary.

Location is wonder. You can go most of the places in walking distances and it's easy to use public transportations,too.

excellent stay
    • Double or Twin Room

For a three star hotel everything was great.

the room was nice and clean, even the bathroom, excellent view from my room,,.room was always warm, very easy to walk around, to go to resturants, shops, and the Christmas decorations were really nice....

Good location is the only good thing I can say about this hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room

The unfriendliest welcome at any hotel I've stayed in through out the world. Dark and eerie staircases all very dirty. Extremely basic.

Comfy bed. Could be a lovely hotel but needs a lot of work.

My stay was generally good. Some facilities need to be improved.
    • Double or Twin Room

There was no lift and the room was a bit smaller than I expected (a disadvantage for people who carry large suitcases).

Very close to the metro station, about 5 minutes by walking. Great location and easy to find. The staff were friendly and helpful. People can left their luggages after checking out, which is convenient. The Wifi is not bad.

Very good location only 100 meters from vaci street.
    • Double or Twin Room

In the toilet the plastic trash bag was NOT changed from the previous customers that stayed in the room and the toilet bowl had dirt around it. When I asked the receptionist to clean the bathroom his answer was that there was no service at this time and he asked me to bring him down the used toilet trash bag (WHICH WAS OUTRAGEOUS) and he would give me a clean one to place it myself. I told him that this was not going to happen and his answer was to wait until next day. The result: next day they changed the trash bag but did NOT clean the toilet from hairs and dirt of the previous customers. TRAGIC AND VERY DISAPPOINTING

Very good location only 100 meters from vaci street.

The hotel has a really good location: not so far from...
    • Double or Twin Room

Entrance made with many stairs: if you're in Budapest with a stroller be ready to carry it a lot. Floor in rooms covered by carpeting is not as clean as we would like.

The hotel has a really good location: not so far from Pest's center and near Elisabeth Bridge. Typical breakfast. Big warm rooms, with a vintage windows.

I would not recomend this hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room

The rooms where not clean, in particular the bathroom it was very dirty. The staff (not all of them) were not willing to assist. We stayed 4 nights. The rooms were distanced from reception and not very warm although we kept max temp controller. It was very unconformable to get in the room and we were 2 girls. You should insert a long pin written in the card key room to open an iron door to get to use the elevator. Get outside on 2nd floor and enter with the key card in another door. Then you could reach your room going out and in like a labyrinth during cold weather. The corridors were not lighted all the time but with sensors and not full light. On 3rd day our room was not clean. We called and asked reception guy to bring us new towels and informed him about the missing cleaning room. He said that it was not possible to leave reception and to bring towels since he was alone and he would forward such our complain to management. Although we insisted to heave at least clean towels and was cold to go out again and to reach reception, he specified it was our problem not his, so... no new towels!!!

The location and the restaurant (same name) nearby

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

Everything we hoped for and more.
    • Double or Twin Room

This is the perfect place to explore city center Budapest. Christmas market is right down the street and the Danube is one corner up from the front door. We walked to almost everything on our "tourist" list. Staff spoke English well and were very helpful arranging a dynamite wine tour we found online. I highly recommend this hotel and the wonderful city of Budapest.

I had a nice stay and due to the hotel location it was easy to dis ov
    • Double or Twin Room

A little corny elevator but big stairways. Restaurant down in the basement, was historicly facilitated and the breakfast was just good enough.

The room it self, the bed and bathroom was good and clean. The location was excellent.

'Beautiful Budapest', historical, magical, especially now at Christmas time, an eastern european gem

Not applicable

As requested our two double rooms were adjacent to each other, completely separate, on one side of a beautiful balcony (inner courtyard) to any other rooms, which gave us total privacy and very quiet. The location was very central to all districts of Budapest.

Budapest is an amazing and special city, and the hotel was perfectly placed to enjoy the trip more.
    • Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was good and contained in an authentic tradicional hungarian style, there could have been a bit more variety of breakfast for vegetarians, including fresh croissants and natural juices.

The hotel was very well located right by the river danube, and right by all the main areas of Budapest. Easy to find. The staff were very helpful, the room the perfect size and very comfortable.

we had 2 strollers and could not use the elevator to our...
    • Double or Twin Room

we had 2 strollers and could not use the elevator to our room and had to carry the strollers through 20 -30 steps in total. Really bad/uncomfortable experience

Excellent location, friendly staff and great value for money

The hotel is spread across two buildings so sometimes it can be confusing.

It's right in the heart from the city and very close to the Metro station. The river is just by the side of the hotel and you can go for a stroll. Lot of options for food nearby. Staff very friendly and all the facilities required in the room.

Great few days exploring the city
    • Double or Twin Room

Hotel is fairly basic, but clean. Perfect as a base to explore the city. If you were planning to stay long periods in your room (why would you?), then this probably is not the hotel for you.

Fantastic location, walking distance to Christmas markets, Central Food market, Buda Castle etc. Could not asked for a better location. Very close to the river as well.

Great value hotel in great location
    • Double or Twin Room

For me the bed was very soft but this is a personal preference. For a short stay not really a problem though

Location was fantastic. Booked half an hour before arrival due to overbooking at original hotel and other than a short wait (5 mins) to get the booking from the system was no issues at check in. Very helpful reception staff. Could leave our bags after check in until ready to leave for airport.

Ideal accommodation for a short sight seeing trip
    • Double or Twin Room

The hotel is quite old and showing signs of age but clean and tidy. There are a short flight of steps to go up to the main reception which would be difficult if disabled. There are only vending machines in the hotel but it is attached to a restaurant for drinks and food.

Great location - about 3 mins walk to bars and restaurants and the main down town area. Rooms were decent size and had everything you would expect to see. En suite bathroom, TV, comfy bed, clean. Plenty of towels. We only used it for sleeping and getting ready to go out to enjoy the city which it was perfect for.

Very budget 2 star hotel. Well situated
    • Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was atrocious... sign says pls ask if something is missing and we did and was told ... no more!! Dirty dirty grey nylon curtains in room that have not been cleaned for ages. Dirty internal coutuard stairwell.

Very budget hotel. Well situated Very old shabby place in need of big maintenance. Breakfast area staff person very unfriendly and not warm... customer service needed here. Hotel reception people very nice. We asked for a view and got it!!! 10/10 God help the people that overlooked the internal courtyard!!

Great location, right in the old town and near the metro...
    • Double or Twin Room

There was no hairdryer and slippers in the room, wifi was too slow for both downloading and uploading traffic :/

Great location, right in the old town and near the metro station, very easy to get the hotel from the airport by public transport. We had an early flight and was able to get our room at 11:00 am - much earlier than it should be ready, that made our day!

Not recommended to anyone
    • Double or Twin Room

The hotel is sooooooooo old and I can’t believe it. The lift is small , old and lots noisy, so I hardly to use it only with my luggage because I scared it maybe falling down. The curtain is looks very dirty although the room has been cleaned every day but you still feel dirty.

It’s easy to get there and walking distance to almost all the popular place.

Never stay second time
    • Double or Twin Room

Location of the hotel is good but there is no lift that We can access ro the hotel from the street. We traveled 1 y.o baby and we had to carry the stroller to the room. İt is not suit for the families who travels with babies. Pick another hotel pls. And they do not provide a kettle in the rooms to prepare smth. Room was cramped and no enough place to move

Location of the hotel is good

A day in Budapest
    • Double or Twin Room

A little bit expensive in relation to the offered services. Cleaning was enough but not deep. Acceptable breackfast.

The position is perfect for reaching centrum.

The receptionist was very welcome on our arrival.
    • Double or Twin Room

The receptionist was very welcome on our arrival. The room was good size and very clean. The hotel is on the main road but not noisy at all. Very comfy beds so we could have a good night sleep. The breakfast had good choices, it's worth the money.

Budapest was amazing and the hotel enabled us to be in a great location
    • Double or Twin Room

The shower needed re-sealing as water kept flowing out of the shower but that was just a small issue and didn't affect our enjoyment at all

Amazing location and a stunning view from our room. Perfect hotel for a long weekend away with lots of sightseeing !!!

very run-down and shabby hotel
    • Double or Twin Room

extremely run-down hotel, needs complete refurbishment. Reception were helpful but breakfast staff very 'couldn't care less' and various food items ran out with difficulty to get them replaced. The room was shabby with no opportunity to control the temperature except via the drafts coming through the window. The bathroom was small with a tiny shower.

convenient location to city centre and public transport

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The location was superb with easy access to most of the sights.
    • Double or Twin Room

The shower head was difficult to direct and fell off its bracket when the position was altered. Noisy at night, because we were on the main road and there was no secondary glazing.

The building was charming and quirky: comfortable rooms within an old apartment block approached via a courtyard balcony and the most amazing decor in the semi basement restaurant.

In a great location but very very basic.
    • Double or Twin Room

The facilities were very basic. No coffee, tea making facilities No hairdryer. No help with luggage up the stairs and no lift. Definitely in need of a refurbishment Airport transfers were available but on the website it said no

Staff were friendly amenable. The bed was very low but comfortable

Went for business, it did the job, would not return.

The building is beautiful but sadly it looks old, dated, and they dont bother to keep it nice. The breakfast is poor, in a dark underground area that you will probably like to go somewhere else. Also, getting to the rooms is a bit of a maze, lots of stairs and poorly lit. For the same money you can go somewhere more modern, or at least cleaner and nicer.

Location and desk service is great. I think that's the only good I found in this place.

Perfect location
    • Double or Twin Room

All of the steps...no elevator to our room. This hotel is charming but not handicap friendly

The location. It was close to the "White Bridge" and the main pedestrian only street with lots of restaurants and shops

The staff were lovely, we tried to alter our booking online...
    • Double or Twin Room

The shower was small and the railings at the top need attention

The staff were lovely, we tried to alter our booking online to be one less day due to train times for our next destination, however the website wouldn't allow us to. Upon arrival we asked the staff if we could change the booking and they were happy to do so with no charge. The location was great. A short walk to many attractions and close to a lot of restaurants etc. The room was spacious and comfortable.

Browse City Hotel Matyas traveller photo gallery