Reviews of Hotel Gloria Budapest City Center 3 stars

1089 Budapest, Bláthy O. u. 22, Hungary

#299 of 344 hotels in Budapest

We were surprised and disappointed from the room. Reality was different from the pictures we saw online and booked through the platform. Although the cleaning lady was coming every day which is a plus point, the 302 room that hotel selected to give us was old enough (walls , bathroom etc) and definitely needs renovation. And to be honest since we were travelling with a toddler i was expecting someone to ask us if everything is ok and comfortable but noone did ask end of the time. We did mention one time to the night receptionist if it is possible to change room-i believe it was the second day of our arrival- because we saw another room in better condition the same day when we were there (no 32) but he told is ok yours etc. We did not want to set an argument because we were satisfied at least with the breakfast part.

It was our first family trip abroad with a young toddler age 3 years old. We did not rent a car so since we could move only by foot hotel location was perfect considering the fact that suburban metro line is close (few meters away from hotel) and buses as well. We did like too much the breakfast because it was rich with lot of variety to choose from (boiled eggs, different king of yogurts, cereals , sausages , coffee etc) and in our opinion can cover ALL the tastes even for young kids like ours as well. Also staff was friendly and helpful in both restaurant and reception. Last day on our departure the lady at the reception gave us a complimentary post -card which was a nice gesture and highly appreciated.

Absolutely nothing

After reading some of the reviews on TripAdvisor I was hoping for somewhere just to lay our heads and nothing more, I can only say for those that picked fault you must have booked in the wrong hotel by mistake, it was fabulous.. I've travelled to numerous countries and stayed in all sorts of places and I can promise you,value for money this most definitely is! The beds were comfortable and clean, it was so quiet and the staff, especially the two girls on reception were just brilliant, we were genuinely sad to leave. If you want to spend the earth and get 5 star accommodation,go ahead but this for a budget hotel was simply marvelous

It was so noisy. We got the room next to elevator so we heard noise of elevator and people passing by. We booked double bed and we got two beds that were constantly separating. The pillows were so uncomfotable. The hair dryer was so old fashion and it was hard to dry hair with that. Room and bathroom wasn't so clean. Dust was all around. Also, the containers for the hand soap and shampoo didn't work. Such a bad smell in elevator and hallway.

Staff was nice. Breakfast was good.

The staff were so nice. When I asked them about the way how to get the airport, they taught very kindly and politely. And more, I could leave my buggage in the hotel even after the check-out.

receptionist was sleeping ( we came at 2,30 AM, but they have 24 h reception), but he was sympatic guy, all OK. elevator is squiky and old, room is worn out, old furniture, bad curtains to prevent sunlight to enter in the morning. breakfast - so so, staff in kitchen do not speak english

2 night reservation no soap in bathroom sink despite asking for it second day beds old and creaking the elevator was in terrible condition, terrible creaking noises thought it would break any time no restaurant or bar service only for breakfast plaster peeling from walls

The bed was stiff the and the pillows were flat. The location has nothing around it for stores except one little hole in the wall. When we arrived I reserved a double bed and they said that is was only allowed for one person. I said ok how much for my wife to stay with me. They said 25€ a night. I looked online and their policy says 15€. I asked them about it and they said well breakfast is extra. I felt like they weee shady and covered up things. We arrived twice in the 3 night stay and the front doors were locked and we had to call someone to let us in. It was noisy because we were next to the elevator and you could hear everything. You can not adjust the heater at all and there was no soap in the bathroom. The hotel needs a lot of work. Be careful of the cab drivers in the area they will try and rip you off.

The metro is a 10 minute walk and about 2€ ride into the city center. A cab was only 2000Ft.

• Family Room

everything is all very very good

everything is good room, bfast etc . I would recommend to all other people go to this hotel if you're traveling Budapest and cost is also fair price.

Well, maybe this was the worst hotel I have ever been. I can't find anything positive beside the staff, all other things, there are no words to describe. I have read the reviews from other clients, and I thought "maybe I get lucky". No. As soon as I enter the elevator... BUM, It seemed like it was going to fall, it needs so much reparing.... and in the reviews from April, the management said it was on reparing... we are in august. OK. Then I enter the room... such a bad smell, BAD BAD. I couldn't even breed. And cleaning? Maybe they don't know what is cleaning, everything was dirty. And so HOT, no AC in the room. The next day I had to move, no way I was getting there one more night. The breakfast was weak, no good.

The only thing that was positive, was the staff in the morning. Very nice employee, helpful.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

The Wifi was 0% at the 2nd floor. I tried all the networks belonging to this hotel. Old furniture, very squeaky.

I booked this property, because I had to go to a concert at Groupama Arena. The staff was friendly.

It's a little bit noisy in the rooms near elevator. Bathrooms need to be slightly redecorated.

Good location of the hotel, you can easily reach International Bus station on foot or get to the Airport or center by public transport. Nice staff. Hairdryer in the room was a plus.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

Room could be a little cleaner but it suited the price..

Nice and very friendly stuff. Breakfast was great, we had a lot of choices.. All in all, we had a great time.. 😊

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Location very good only if you want to stay close to the Nepliget station. Easy to get to the city center by underground. But if you want to stay nearer to the center choose another location. Standard is ok if you prefer to visit the city not to spend time at the hotel.

Very nice staff, we have been arrived about 7 a.m. and despite check-in is normally at 1-2 p.m., we've got a room at 7. We didn't expect this possibility, it was really nice and comfortable after an all night long journey to Budapest.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

Claimed they had laundry services and a working kitchen but when we got there, there weren't any. Staff excused it by saying that they used to have these services six years ago.

Had a good nights rest after a festival. Staff helped with friend's foot that was injured.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

We had booked and payed a room with an AC and a fridge- the room hadn't had neither! One of the beds was extremely tilted (I needed to put a pillow under my back in order to try to level the surface a bit) , with a whoopee-cushion-like noise making mattress. These are just a couple of things from a long list since the whole hotel is completely run down

Earlier check in was available

• Reviewed: 9 July 2016

The place is really dirty. Other than the sheets and towels nothing in the place has ever been cleaned. Many things were broken as well. Overall this place outdated and gross. For the same money you can stay in a clean hostel or pay an extra $20 a night and stay in a proper hotel

It was not far from the bus station

soap in the shower didn't work

air conditioning

Would have been nice to have a small fridge in the too

The young lady at the front desk was so very happy and helpful

we'd guaranteed twin room by confirmation mail,but actually double room although we're 2 men.Twin room was full booked.

stuff is good

The toilet seat was not proper

Polite and kind staff

Ability of wi-fi

quit location

comfortable bed, great location, friendly staff

Sanitary devices need maintenance works.

Quiet area, easy parking, corect breakfast.

There isn't anything really

The pillows were very hard lumpy

quiteness

Very loud guests, screaming, talking in full volume late in night.

Good location, nice neighborhood, subway connection near by, very polite staff.

Indifferent staff. State of facilities in room.

In need of refurbishment. Could be cleaner.

The room was spacious. Staff was friendly and helpful.

just normal clean polite

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

hard bett, very old lift

Old fashioned, clean but needs reconstruction

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

very nice staff, good breakfast, location is quiet and near to a metro station

You cant change this but it is quite a trek to the metro.

Staff very helpful

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

It could do with an update - a bit tatty and the lift made alarming groaning noises.

Quiet street, friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 3 July 2016

hot in teh room

Very good breakfast:)

• Reviewed: 26 April 2016

Bad state of room: old repair and furniture, bed and wardrobe are creak. Double bed (consists of 2 single beds) is not comfortable for 2 persons. Very bad sound isolation. Wifi works very bad (with interruption). A container with hair shampoo and shower gel was empty.

Normal location. A quite place.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2016

Staff was excellent; they forgot to program our door key, which was not a major issue, but gave us free drinks and beer to make up for it. They definitely cared about the customers.

• Reviewed: 3 January 2016

From the 3 wifi routers one was working, one did not connect and one did not take the password provided. The receptionist was grumpy and unfriendly. One feels guilty for troubling him with check-in and check-out. TV was analogue, and the picture was noisy, sometimes invisible.

Simple but clean furniture.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2015

The breakfast was poor and the service was bad. I asked for breakfast as it was not included in my room, but when I went downstairs at about 8.40am all food was almost finished. So I asked the receptionist, she reply whatever is still there is there. On top of that, she charged me EUr5 when the breakfast was only EUR4 online and did not want to return my balance nor did I get a receip for this.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2015

Helpful and friendly staff, decent breakfast. Located only a 10-minute-walk from the Népliget station, where one can take the metro, bus or tram. The blue metro line will take you to and from the Köbanya-Kispest station where the buses to the airport can be found. An official yellow taxi from the airport to the hotel costs about 6000 forints.

• Reviewed: 12 October 2015

Hotel is very run down, walls haven't seen fresh paint in years, there are stains all over the place. Dirty old carpets, dirty old curtains. I had a twin room and one of the beds was completely unusable. Luckily, the other one was newer, so I still managed to get decent sleep.

Quiet area, close to city center. Very helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2015

- The lift - Breakfest at 8am was almost empty

Fare for the money but depends on which room you get. I was lucy but my colleagues were disappointed old carpet not so nice room I was in 1st floor and had a fair nice room.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2015

Contrary to what was promised there was no fridge in the room.

Good location, only a 10-minute walk from the Népliget bus and metro station, very friendly staff, good breakfast and wifi.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2015

It is a very old hotel. The hair dryer in the bath is supposed to be white but it looks yellow now... The moment when we entered the room, a very strong cigarette smell came to us. They do have air conditioner, but it is blowing towards the bed which makes people headache. They claimed they have wifi, but by using the password given by them, it was impossible to log in. I inquired this to the guy in the reception and he helped me to type in the password, it didn't work either and he was not surprised about this at all. Ironically, they have an advertisement in the room, recommending guest to rent a portable wifi service to be used in the city. All of this made me feel that the wifi in this hotel is just a FAKE one...No honesty at all...

The only thing I felt alright about this hotel is the room we stayed was not that filthy...

• Reviewed: 10 May 2015

- Easy acces from the airport (Nepliget Metro station) - Quiet neighborhood

- I understand old stains on the carpet but the shelves were dusty in the closet like nobody cleaned them for a week. - One cabin door of the shower was missing in our bathroom (?!) and one barely hung on hinges. After a talk with a guy on the reception he offered us another room. The room was smaller and also one door of the cabin barely hanging so we stayed in the first room. - "Bed Size: 1 queen" was just two single beds connected together. Besides that, there were incredible squeaky and uncomfortable. - Refrigerator from the description of the room was missing. - Bad smell of old furniture in the room.

• Reviewed: 9 May 2015

The bathroom should be improved.

Good location: It is near metro station and nepliget bus station. The room itself was old, but clean enough. Breakfast was delicious. The staff was helpful.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2015

The hotel requires some refurbishment

Price/value Breakfast Not far from metro/tram stops As the hotel is in the western part of the city, travel by public transport to the airport takes less time comparing if you stayed right in the centre

• Reviewed: 16 March 2015

The rooms were all pretty dirty (mold on ceiling and walls) and the bathrooms were all broken (i.e. broken shower cabin/ no light etc.). Also the breakfast was very poor, only meats, no cheese or fruits...

The place was close to the venue, they were friendly and flexible about the time of check-in (our guest got there pretty late at night)

• Reviewed: 21 February 2015

Really old looking and not the cleanest room...

Location was really suitable for us cause it was very close to Napliget bus station. Breakfast was excellent and wifi was fast and reliable.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2016

Cleanliness, several places (in the glass in the bathroom) I found hair.

Gor the price the room is very big, free water and coffee.

• Reviewed: 19 April 2016

It was very dissapointing ,when they asked us to pay money for phone tax than we did not used it

Great point was its price

• Reviewed: 5 April 2016

The conditions of the building the rooms need to be painted and repaired and they should be more clean

The staff very polite and friendly

• Reviewed: 7 February 2016

It is very scary at night,

It cheap

• Reviewed: 22 November 2015

Rooms need renovation

Good wi-fi connection, breakfast was ok, good price.

• Reviewed: 28 October 2015

Location is quiet. Generally was ok, it had a fair price

• Reviewed: 27 October 2015

Overall it was good. The price was good compared to value. Problems with wifi but you cant expect much for this price.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2015

Rooms need updating and a bit far from central attractions

Staff try hard

• Reviewed: 26 September 2015

poor breakfast

• Reviewed: 2 August 2015

Hotel is so far in city center And staff is Very surly, bed is so old. Lift is dangerous.

Nothings

• Reviewed: 28 July 2015

Absolutely nothing

Everything, the staff was so kind, the location - near city garden, near bus and metro stations...

• Reviewed: 24 May 2015

Bar and resturant shut found bed uncomfortable

Friendly helpful staff

• Reviewed: 17 May 2015

Bit of noise from overhead aircraft but nothing too intrusive

Fairly basic accommodation but perfectly adequate. Good wi-fi access

• Reviewed: 14 April 2015

Kind staff and helpfull,beautiful hotel in an a very nice district easy accesible by metro.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2015

Wifi didn't work at all

Breakfast and location good

There are also 14 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Hotel Gloria Budapest City Center traveller photo gallery