Reviews of Novotel Budapest Centrum 4 stars

1088 Budapest, Rákóczi út 43-45., Hungary

#156 of 344 hotels in Budapest

Centrally located hotel
    • Executive Double Room

I tried to order room service on two separate occasions; the first time I was told that the restaurant was fully booked and they couldn't serve me (the first time ever I have been refused room service having stayed in hundreds of hotels around the world) and the second time it took over fifteen minutes to get through to the restaurant, as they just were not answering the phone. I also found a couple of hairs (of the curly variety) on my bath towel the first time I came to use it.

The staff were helpful, the location was perfect for exploring the city and I was allocated a nice, quiet room.

Breakfast , close to public transportation

Staff isnt patient , they are not rude but they just are not nice. Rooms are super old so it never feels like really clean.

Breakfast , close to public transportation

If you are looking for a nice hotel in the proximity of the...

If you are looking for a nice hotel in the proximity of the central train station, the Novotel hotel is a very good choice. The breakfast selection is very good and the rooms are spacious and comfortable.

Decent hotel with good facilities and breakfast
    • Standard Room with 1 Double Bed and 1 Sofa Bed

Although we have booked the room for three people, they hadn’t prepared it for three when we arrived. No sheets, no towels for the 3rd person. We kindly told that to the reception, asking them to bring a set of sheets and towels. When we returned back at the hotel at 11.30pm we realized that they have forgotten it. We went down at the reception again and asked them to give us sheets & towels for the third person, and we took the question: “do you need them now?”. We had to wait ~15 minutes to get the sheets and towels; and –of- course- we had to make the 3rd bed by ourselves …

The bed was extremely comfortable! The room was spacious and clean. The hotel is very close to the metro station and it is walking distance to many city attractions. There are many choices for the breakfast. The breakfast area is also very nice.

Convenient position at reasonable price although away from main restaurant areas.
    • Standard Twin Room

Restaurant staff were not very quick to clear tables at breakfast. Lighting in bedrooms poor - do not expect to read other than in the bathroom!

Reception staff friendly and helpful. Good breakfast available with plenty of choice although a bit chaotic when coach parties were staying. We had requested a quiet room and had no complaints on this score. Close to metro,

Nice hotel to stay at

The fact it is not a secured WIFI set up, it stops you from getting or sending emails via servers. Would not not even hook up to gmail or yahoo sites. Very poor idea and not business friendly. When i asked at the front desk they told me "this is what we have". They could not even offer me a wired hook-up to the internet as a solution. Not business friendly.

Everything was nice and all worked fine but for the WIFI - the fact it is not a secured WIFI impedes from getting or sending emails via servers. Woodlot not even hook up to gmail or yahoo. Very poor idea.

Smart, clean, friendly, relaxed, great location....spot on!
    • Standard Room with 1 Double Bed and 1 Sofa Bed

Can't fault anything about the hotel.

Staff were polite and friendly, room was great, excellent choice of food at the breakfast buffet and all good standard. Location was perfect for us for a whistle-stop tour of Budapest, particularly with the tour bus stop only a 3 minute walk across the road. Great value for money. Would happily recommend to anyone, and we would happily stay again.

Definitely value for money. No real view from the room but well ventilated and good light.

The cleaning was marginal. The bath was not cleaned well every day, nor the bathroom counter top. This is inexcusable. The room itself was tidy and seemed well cleaned. This can be improved easily one hopes.

Breakfast was superb. many choices for all fussy people and good selection of healthy food to start the day. Very quiet room; must be good soundproofing.

A good choice despite a little issue

The last night we came back to the hotel and the room door was not locked,probably an oversight by cleaning staff,anybody could have entered! Luckily this wasn’t the case and nothing happened, but very unpleasant. The room on 6th floor under the roof was very hot.

Friendly and helpful reception staff, both on email before arrival and on site. Room was quiet despite central location. Good breakfast buffet, we got a packed breakfast on last day as we were leaving early.

Fantastic
    • Standard Room with 1 Double Bed and 1 Sofa Bed

We were given a free upgrade to an executive room. It was wonderful especially the access to the executive lounge. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Ideal location for public transport.

Not happy
    • Standard Twin Room

Booking in was hard, their prize did not stand, Was different then on booking. (Took to much of my card) I also had to pay a guarantee. I will not be coming back.

Clean. Staff came every day to put clean towels.

Very comfortable central Budapest hotel
    • Executive Double Room

Small detail, but a rubber sealing ring between the shower hose and shower head was missing, so it was leaking water. Not a big problem, but something housekeeping should report to the maintenance department.

The hotel is very conveniently located in a central part of Budapest, with good public transport connections. My room was bright and spacious, with an extremely comfortable bed. I booked an executive room and enjoyed the Nespresso coffee facilities in my room, as well as complimentary water and mini-bar items. I especially enjoyed the executive lounge, with a nice range of drinks and snacks that fitted the time of day (e..g. croissants in the morning, peanuts and crisps in the late afternoon). Furthermore, staff was friendly and seemed efficient. I enjoyed my stay very much!

Very good location, friendly staff, great art nouveau...
    • Executive Double Room

Very good location, friendly staff, great art nouveau building with many original features, ,many good bars and restaurants are just a walking distance away, excellent place for a short city break.

Luxurious hotel with polite and helpful staff and...

It was rather cool in the room. Perhaps, because it was the last floor.

Luxurious hotel with polite and helpful staff and comfortable rooms. The room was clean and spacious with a comfortable bed and a large TV. Delicious breakfasts.

Satisfactory
    • Standard Twin Room

This was a last minute booking as our flight was cancelled. I. The restaurant the food was very good, it when I asked for condiments I was told by the waiter he was too busy, it he did then bring it. The waitress in the bar was very rude myself and other customers wanted to buy a bottle of wine and we were told that we couldn’t, her whole attitude was not good and I was not the only one who noticed.

The hotel itself was clean light and airy. The food was good. Rooms very comfortable everything catered for. This was a late booking and have to say the food layed on at the last minutes was very good. The reception staff were very helpful indeed.

Historic building from the 30s nicely renovated, the...

More local touch on the breakfast

Historic building from the 30s nicely renovated, the breakfast hall is a real gem, friendly staff, very spacious room

My expectation was not gratified! For my next trip to Budapest I am going to choose another one!

but the personal was very helpful and friendly, absolutely central position in Pest (nearby Blaha square) rich assortment for breakfast

We spent an overnight on 1st December 2017 at Novotel Centrum Budapest. Unfortunatelly the central heating did not work as we expected and there was only 18-19C° in our room (615). According to the Information of receptionist their heating system could blow into the room max. 21C° "hot" air. The facilities and furnishment were quite exhausted so I was expecting much more high quality level for this price from a Novotel. NOT for Business People and Family Trip with small children! I was very disappointed!

Room was a bit 'depressive', although quiet. The bed was not really good for my back.

They tried to charge me for two items from a minibar that I have not consumed. The next time, I will always check the mini bar immediately after arrival to the room. That has never happened to me anywhere! Probly the cleaning lady took the items or they forget to check the minibar after my predecessor left the room.

Hotel staff was very helpful and allowed us to checkin early.

Hotel staff was very helpful and allowed us to checkin early. Thank you! Enjoyed great breakfast in the hotel. Much better then most of european hotels. Nice gem was sauna in this place. Very refreshing at the end of a day.

Bed was very good.

Bath tube was not very clean. I wanted to take a bath but noticed some things on the tube (not too much but enough not to take a bath). Rooms are not light- no main light on the ceiling in the main room, only on the walls. Also asked receptionist at the second day to replace drinking water. I got an answer that his colleague will bring it but they never appeared.

Bed was very good. Nespresso machine and coffe in the room (free). Location pretty central.

Beautiful old building, a lot of space in the room.

The room wasn't cleaned properly. Just after we came inside I saw a hair on the bed and later short hair on bathroom walls. We haven't get additional soap bar for 3 days and new shampoo for 2 days.

Beautiful old building, a lot of space in the room. I love the waffles during breakfasts.

Great place to stay in Budapest, Hungary.

Novotel Hotel is the great place to stay in Budapest, with great accommodation. Rooms are big enough for 2-3 persons. I recommend it to everyone.

Good hotel regarding price and location

No hotel information booklet in the room, no info on gym or sauna. No telephone directory. Waitress in charge of waffle machine at breakfast was very rude. We expect staff to be polite or they shouldn't be working in tourism at all.

Room was a good size, Reception staff very friendly and proffesional. Breakfast was quite good with a wide variety of selections to choose from.

We had a great time.

Didn't like the cooking smell in the hallways outside the room Located on a busy road

Excellent breakfast Plenty of space in our room Didn't hear traffic when the window was closed

Excellent location and courteous staff

The bed seemed a tad small. A bottle of still water could have been nice.

The staff is courteous and really nice. Zsuzsanna, from the sales department, booked one of the nicer rooms in the hotel upon my request. I also like the location of the hotel. Right next to a bus stop/ underground tram (red line) station which makes the commute to the main railway station or the airport pretty easy. One can walk from the hotel to nearby restaurants and even the castle exploring the city.

Best 4 star hotel I've stayed in.

The main counter is a little small for the size of the hotel so there is always a queue. The gym seem like it could use some mantainance and carpet floor for a gym is not the cleanest option.

The breakfast was incredible, the bread, bakery in general and waffles were outstanding. Very nice variety of options and served in a beautiful and elegant saloon. We also had dinner one time in their restaurant and it was very nice. The room was big and well equipped, everything in it was modern and in excellent condition.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

Clean and cozy rooms; classic dining hall

The room and bathroom were clean. Keep it up! Very good toiletries too. And we abosolutely loved the dining hall used for breakfast - so classic and cozy.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

Charming hotel in centrum of Budapest.

Many additional taxes applied to the price of stay.

Everything was ok, no major complaints at all. Very good experience. The size of the room I'd like to specially praise.

We will not come back to this hotel

I asked for a room with a double bed, but it turned out that the rooms were facing the main road, and the noise was unbearable. The air conditioning has not been activated yet despite the high temperatures outside. We were given a room with two twin beds, with wheels that could not be locked. For 24 hours we tried to get clean towels - the hotel staff simply lied about this. After room service did not bring them - we just stood at reception and waited. Inappropriate behavior Can not open the window and air conditioning did not work, as mentioned, a stuffy and warm room.

The Location of the hotel

Very reasonable priced 4-star hotel with good facilities for Wheelchair users

The bed, toilet and shower seat would of been better for me if they were a few inches higher from the ground The Coffee was not the best for a 4-star hotel. The main road was very noisy during the night (a lot a sirens) which disturbed my sleep

Staff very friendly and helpful and accessible room very spacious. The bathroom had a wetroom with two showers (a lower one next to shower seat) and there were plenty of handrails. The breakfast options were very good especially the bread/pastries and the Hungarian mini sausages!

Novotel. Centrum. The name says it all.

Not even a Q-tip in the bathroom... a bit cheap for a quite expensive hotel. The reception gave up quite quickly when they had to find us a taxi in rush hour.

The beauty of the building and breakfast room. The comfort of the bedrooms. 20-min walk away from every central locations.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Excellent and diverse breakfast.
    • Standard Room with 1 Double Bed and 1 Sofa Bed

Water draining problems in the bathroom - if any water escaped from the bath tub, it would just go on the floor and would just run to the carpet in the room. The carpet was always wet near the bath tub room. (toilet and faucet / bath tub are separated). This is both a design flaw (no drain) and an execution problem - the floor was lower on the door side. Too cold for my taste. The temperature control system was not working.

Excellent and diverse breakfast. Fast check in and check out. Located near tube station. Power connected all the time (great for charging laptops and battery banks when out.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

Good breakfast, polite and helpful service.
    • Standard Twin Room

Very laud - problem of laud motor riders and ambulances - too laud to sleep. Weak training room. Problem of not fresh air in the room.

Good breakfast, polite and helpful service.

The receptionists were not nice and did not really try to...

The receptionists were not nice and did not really try to solve a problem (I wanted to stay another night) They claimed the hotel was full-while I saw dozens of empty rooms I will not return to this hotel in the future

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

Nice location but rooms need updating

The room were very basic The beds are not comfy The pillow and duvet are worn and need replacing For a cold place you need to have a good duvet Breakfast is basic could be better

The hotel as you entered was warm and welcoming and clean

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

Staff very helpfull and friendy,great breakfast,very good...

There was a very strong odor of mildew present in room 218 and you could even see it on the wall in de bedroom and in the shower. The heating was poor,not working properly.You cannot adjust the room temperature. Charges for a pet were 25euros a night,the most expensive i 've ever had and nothing was provided for our pet.

Staff very helpfull and friendy,great breakfast,very good location

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

Great stay in Budapest
    • Standard Room with 1 Double Bed and 1 Sofa Bed

it's practically impossible to understand how the heating system works.

Great breakfast. Staff are are always available. Great location near the subway.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

THE WORST HOTEL CHOICE IN BUDAPEST !!!

The stαff of the hotel, especially on the restaurant and the reception desk was inpolite, didn't ask even ones if we were fatisfied with the service or with our meals and the most important thing was that nobody speaks ENGLISH !!! The variety of breakfast was small and the products wasnt tasty !!! The concierge was unwoven !!! The room service was a disaster especially the understanding part !!!

Wifi was the only good supply provided by our hotel and the part of housekeeping did a great job! Also, I received very good service from the lady at the Spa, which made a fantastic Thai Massage, even thought the Spa was nearly nonexistent (it was like a warehouse with a mattress on the floor)..

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

The room was spacious, clean and on high floor as requested!
    • Standard Room with 1 Double Bed and 1 Sofa Bed

Window was blocked for safety reasons. We have asked to unblock it but even unblocked there was no possibility to open it.

The room was spacious, clean and on high floor as requested!

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

Very nice breakfast room, overall good hotel

I asked for a quiet room, but received a room at the first floor, right on the main road. Noise insulation is quite good, but traffic can be heard.

The location is good. The common areas are beautiful, especially the breakfast room. The buffet is great too. My room was quiet comfortable, although the bathroom feels slightly old.

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

Great location , good hotel

The staff could be a little more friendly and courteous.

The hotel is in a good location. The restaurant and bar are very nice. The rooms are very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

Not a 4-star hotel.

There was an urine stain on the cushion of the upright chair. The toilet was cracked, approx. 3 inches crack at the front of the pan, inside. The furniture in the room was very tired. There is no way this is a 4-star hotel.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

Worst Novotel I have ever been at. Was expecting a lot more.

Breakfast for 15EUR is nothing but a rip off, on top of that you'll get the worst coffee you can imagine. My room was stuck between the noisy hall in front of the elevator and a six lane road with lots of loud traffic.

Friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

Nice time in Budapest!

The staff in reception in particular late at night. I arrived @ 0300 on 7 sept (was supposed to arrive on 6 sept for COSMOS tour). The man at reception seemed angry. I came back with COSMOS on 17 September and left on 19th. Of my entire stay only one young lady was friendly and earger to help. The staff at restaurant were excellent, house cleaning was also good.

The breakfast was great, outstanding!

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

"OK" place - no stong emotions either way
    • Executive Double Room

Executive launge, which we paid a premium for, was very limited (and sad) in its offerings. A missed opportunity for the hotel as it could have functioned also as a tasting venue for Hungarian food and vines

I did indeed enjoy the croisants in the morning.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Fantastic location
    • Standard Room with 1 Double Bed and 1 Sofa Bed

- It was quite noisy in the night if you left the window open, due to being on a busy road. We managed to setup the air con the second night which was great - Not many hot items at breakfast but otherwise a good variety

+ The location was excellent- a 2 minute walk to the metro, bus and tram station + Hotel room was spacious and clean + Free safe, mini toiletries, huge TV + Absolutely beautiful city

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

The breakfast was disappointing, very poor for the price. The coffee tasted instant. The bedroom was in need of refurbishment, dull and tired decoration throughout. We wouldn't stay here again. Its a great shame as the Novotel in Calais that we use frequently is of an excellent standard and we expected the same here.

The location was easy to find and pretty central. The lobby and public areas are clean, bright and nicely decorated.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

A good stay in Budapest.

None come to mind

Very spacious room, extremely clean. A top location for exploring the surrounding city. Breakfast buffet was very extensive and great quality.

Never more
    • Standard Room with 1 Double Bed and 1 Sofa Bed

Most arrogant and rude receptionist and waitress ever! These people are supposed to learn to behave with guests.

Apsolutely nothing.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

• Standard Room with 1 Double Bed and 1 Sofa Bed

Missing swimming pool but is an amazing hotel

Very good hotel with a lovely staff

It was good value for money but I wouldn’t stay there again.

Rooms are shabby. Service at the breakfast buffet was very poor.

Good location and comfortable to subway or bus.

In shower room a floor wet when I take shower!

Friendly staff and good location.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Not bad but far from city
    • Standard Twin Room

Very small room Far from city

Cheap

Good breakfast and good service

Good breakfast and good service

Close to the railway station and metro and bus stop
    • Standard Room with 1 Double Bed and 1 Sofa Bed

Hotel reception staff are not all helpful or fluent in English

Close to the railway station and metro and bus stop

Accor member, very disappointed however staff very helpful & pleasant.
    • Executive Double Room

Executive lounge was very ordinary late opening, no beer, wine warm, food stale.

Cocktail bar & room

Nice hotel in a beautiful city
    • Standard Twin Room

The neighbourhood was a bit depressive, much poverty

The accomodation was perfect.

Rude staff.
    • Standard Twin Room

Rude staff. Made to pay city tax twice, once on booking and again at hotel. Problem with lots of homeless people on the streets around hotel

I could stay again without doubts.
    • Standard Twin Room

Hop on Hop off recommended by front desk is by far not the best. Exchange rate at front desk with very high commission.

Great breakfast. Good spa.

Lovely Hotel

A beautiful hotel with lovely staff.

Excellent and very helpful, nice staff

Violin and piano duo in the restaurant at the hotel

Very satisfactory

Could be more generous with tea, coffee, creamer and sugar sachets in the room.

Room was good, bed was comfortable and staff helpful.

Had a Good time. Walking distance from the Danube.

Good location.

Great location, and good value for money
    • Standard Twin Room

Very hospitable staff. Great variety of choice at breakfast. Hotel ideally situated for underground.

The old design and service

The old design and service

All aspects of my stay were excellent.
    • Standard Room with 1 Double Bed and 1 Sofa Bed

All aspects of my stay at this hotel were excellent.

Excellent service in every aspect.

Excellent service in every aspect.

Was ok

Nice rooms , ok location

Gabor in the bar was the best.

Gabor in the bar was the best. Professional and happy and very positiv

Stay was comfortable and enjoyable because of upgrade.

Room and bathroom could have been more spacious.

The concierge lady was excellent, breakfast was quite good.

Very good, I can reccomend.

The room card did not work in elevator, but in room worked without problems.

Very good location. Good internet connection. Clean.

Just good. It can easily be better!
    • Standard Room with 1 Double Bed and 1 Sofa Bed

Rooms need renovation and more carefull cleaning.

Staff, location, breakfast.

Delicious breakfast, in a beautiful room.

Delicious breakfast, in a beautiful room.

We've got our money's worth. Not a penny or a smile more.

Fitness and spa area's less than prudent daily maintenance.

Property architexture