Reviews of Hotel Thomas 3 stars

1094 Budapest, Liliom utca 44., Hungary

#308 of 344 hotels in Budapest

6.2

A good value option

After our flights were cancelled, we needed somewhere to stay at short notice. The Thomas Hotel was a good value option. It was fairly basic but suited our needs.

Central, great area, friendly.

This is an excellent budget hotel. Excellent transport links, and situated in Budapest's most dynamic nightlife/ eating area. I've stayed here several times as it's adjacent to my apartment. Great value.

Good, clean, basic amenities for my overnight stay.

Small shower, location not right in the middle of the action, but the price reflects that.

Clean, efficient, cost effective, very good breakfast at restaurant next door. Neighborhood seems safe. Close to an Aldi. About a 5-10 minute walk to the M3. Staff friendly and helpful, they arranged for my early morning taxi to the airport. Stored my luggage for me in a locked closet while I toured the city because I arrived before check in.

All in all it was a good stay, I stayed only one night to catch the next day flight.

..it’s not the biggest thing, but I don’t like “hidden expenses”. First thing the receptionist told me when I came to check in to my prepaid room, was how I would like to pay the taxes. Because there are taxes to pay, such as “city tax”, but at other hotels I stayed at in Budapest that tax was included in the price they show at booking com. So I paid.. Then I thought it was the end of the surprise costs, but the last thing the receptionist asked me when I checked out, was; “did you dink the water bottle in your room”? That’s a 900 Forint please.. (about four times the price in the shop). Normally, the water bottle in hotel rooms are complimentary. It didn’t kill me, but it was a bit annoying.

The hotel is nice, large room with a balcony and it was clean. Easy access to metro. The street is quiet, but very close to the ring avenue with trams, busses and metro.

One night stopover waiting for a flight to Athens next day. Perfect little hotel with great staff.

Staff were friendly and courteous. May be a budget hotel, a bit like Travelodge in UK. Extremely clean, cosy and wonderful staff. 5 minutes from Metro, which was 2 stops form center of Budapest. Would heartily recommend to all.

Awful maintenance, desperate for money

Leaking Taps Holes and black spots along with stains in shower Cleanliness was awful Staff tried to lie about parking hours to make us use the over priced garage, we knew they were lying. Rooms was very old and need a refurbishment. Even at 25 euros I would never consider staying here again.

The wifi was oki

Good value for money. I wasn't expecting luxury for the price I paid.

I would have liked tea/coffee making facilities in the room and the possibility of having a drink from the mini bar. The elecreical socket in my room was loose and came away from the wall when I unplugged my phone charger. An English news channel on the TV would be a bonus.

Very good price. Clean rooms. Efficient service and good communicative receptionists.

Clean rooms, kind people, great location.

Clean rooms, nice people there. Location is great for that price, 20 minutes walk to the city center street. Several parking places are available in garage if you jave luck 😊 Breakfast is very basic for 6 eur you can find better one somwhere else.

it was disappointing

Everything! The Hotel needs to be renewed, updated, modernized, staff must be at a much higher level of professional service and working skills! Why? Because our room and the hotel generally don't look like on Booking photos! The Photoshop was very much in use. Reception desk staff is not competent and not trained properly. They did not conclude the extension of our reservation in the system, and accused us for "staying illegally in the room". As if we were really moving in there "illegally". Then,they wanted to charge a double price than agreed for that additional night, but without showing us any offical price list! They didn't know anything about parking options (street, public garage) near the Hotel as their garage was full. Of course, no one apologized for their omission on the check out. By the way, the bathroom is indescribable, the plastic curtain on the shower is awful. One more detail before the end, the room has a balcony looking out onto a nice courtyard, but it is locked!! How is it possible that this Hotel has 3 stars??? Enjoy your staying!

We didn't like anything

Nice location not too far from the city transportation

Was offered to buy a breakfast by a receptionist. Agreed. In the morning the restaurant was closed. Lady on reception first told me I didn't pay, then reluctantly refunded. Oh and I had a street light right outside my window which made the room bright all night.

Nice location not too far from the city transportation

It was not worth the price.

Room was very poorly lit. We had asked for a large single bed, yet we received two separate beds. Window was not properly insulated and the heating was weak so I actually had to sleep in a sweater and trousers. I did not realize breakfast was not included in the price, which was quite high, so we had to pay an extra 8 euros/person for breakfast. In addition they charged the same price for breakfast for my ten-year-old, 70-pound daughter as for an adult. Breakfast was okay, I guess, but nothing extra. Coffee was very bad and cold (there was a coffee machine but it didn't have hot milk. There was milk in a jar but it was cold). When I wanted to re-charge my phone I realized that the only empty socket in the room was in the wall opposite to my bed, some 6,5 feet from it. So I could not set an alarm for myself without the risk of also waking up my daughter. Wifi was limited so I could not access the sites that I usually use.

The staff is friendly, the accommodation is quiet

The hotel is located not far from the city centre, so you can easily reach any place using both public transport and taxi. There are lots of restaurants and cafes, which are not expensive. Famous soup Gulyash is one of the best in the hotel restaurant. There is the ruin pub, where you can try 20 sorts of craft beer, including cherry one. I've booked a room in this hotel for the 5th time.

I use this Hotel more than 7 years during my visits to...

The room-keepers sometimes did not make up my room because they tried to leave the Hotel earlier than I was ready to leave the room. They do not know English that led to misunderstanding. However, this staff is very friendly.

I use this Hotel more than 7 years during my visits to Budapest because it seems me more appropriate for my aims.

Good as usual.

I like this hotel a reserved rooms every year since 2010. Now the owner was changed and I lost my relationships with previous owner and staff. It would be good to have new links with new staff because I hope to stay at the Hotel Thomas during my next visits Budapest.

Upset.

It was our third stay in this hotel, but now we were not satisfied at all. The room wasn't ready for 4 person, like we booked. We asked for the 4-th set of linen, and carried everything: pillow, duvet, towels by ourselves. It wasn't clean in the room and in the bathroom. In the morning we paid for breakfast first and then came to the restaurant and found out that there was no milk on the cafe machine, no eggs and when we asked to bring more the answer was , that everything was finished. We decided to go somewhere else, but Mrs. Kis on the reception desk refused to give money back and used them next morning, she did't us opportunity to explain. So it was really strange for such level of hotel and price.

The location is really good.

A one-timer, never again.

The room was old.

We spent one night, but it wasn't worth it, even tough it was on sale (it was 45eur). I would recommend another place to stay. Also about Novum hotels; they are not always good, be very precautious about them.

Nice visit to Budapest, not sufficient time to really discover the charm of the city ( 3 nigths)

Small TV, No AC.

Good value for the money. Quiet neighboorhood and close to bars and a couple of good restaurants, easy acceso to public transportation. Close to Train station,

We just needed a few hours sleep as we have got to the hotel...

We just needed a few hours sleep as we have got to the hotel before 1 am with our little girl.After not much sleep all we could hear door banging,loud footsteps,elevator noises. Noises by cleaners...but just that. The hotel nothing like on the website, not happy won't stay there anymore.

There is nothing to like about this hotel.

I will NOT recommend. The hotel is not like the one looks on internet and described. Rooms are too small, WIFI does not work, AC does not work. if you get room on 7th floor- disaster. The rooms are really hot and AC also does NOT work. Staff is disaster. We were promised to get the fan as rooms were too hot but that too we did not get it on time. We got it after chasing and on second day. Bathroom was OK but not very clean. After this, we have not tried even breakfast there and preferred to have outside. With that price it will first seem value for money but absolutely NOT...

There is nothing to like about this hotel. It looks like good as per images and description on internet but trust me its NOT...

Staff friendly but reluctant to help with anything

No air conditioning in the room during heatwave in August! Made reservation for 4 people through booking.com but hotel only received confirmation for 3. Booking.com showed two single beds and double sofa bed on the room description but when we arrived there were only 3 single beds in the room. Argued with staff who wanted to wait until the next day to sort it out claiming they had no access to housekeeping. Repeatedly showed me the reservation received from booking.com for 3 people as if this would solve the problem. Showed them my booking on my phone displaying the sofa bed and two additional beds and finally managed to convince them to just give me one extra single mattress to solve the problem and suddenly they had the key to housekeeping stores. Staff were friendly enough but it was obvious they didn't want to help. Asked whether there was a space available in the car park but the same staff member told me he had no way to check and to try again in the morning, which wasn't much use as I needed a space that night. Low water pressure for cold water in the bathroom which was probably due to being on the top floor. Room was unbearably hot without any A.C. but the hotel provided an additional fan which helped for the second night. Window curtains in room falling off the tracks. Electrical sockets looked old and dirty and not all of them functioned. Had to unplug TV and lamps in order to use fans and charge phone. Bathroom functional but run down with cracked sealant and peeling paint. We only chose this hotel to be near friends who were in an apartment 100m away. Would definitely not stay here again.

Well located for the city with bars, restaurants and shops within walking distance

Breakfast is very poor, but especially staff.

Breakfast is very poor, but especially staff. Would be much better if woman working there would clean the tables and less smoke outside it. Outside the object is full of garbage and used cigarettes, waiting for the stormy weather to be cleaned, disaster. Inside is not much better. It took 20 minutes for the receptionist to make the invoice. The time has stopped in this hotel 40 years ago.

Nice hotel in an upscale part of the IX district

Basically a quiet residential area with lots of restaurants, pubs and cultural facilities in the neighborhood. Close to subway- & tramline (24 hr). Rooms are simply furnished with comfy beds.

Good location and price

Bathroom need renovation, sheets and pillows should be changed, no hair-dryer

Location, room was spacious and with a spot for breakfast, good value for the price

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Nice room with a lot of space and all what is necessary.

Old bathroom and little bit dirty. Very hard to find place for parking.

Nice room with a lot of space and all what is necessary. Comfortable bed. Good quality for this price.

We had big windows strait into the room with really bad...

We had big windows strait into the room with really bad curtains and also smoking area was right below our window and cleaning ladies were smoking there all the time.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

Staff was extraordinary in helping me with arrangements.

Towels were not washed properly; it felt like they were collected from guests, pressed and returned back, but not actually washed, as some stains were present every time.

Staff was extraordinary in helping me with arrangements. Walking distance from the university. Close to public transportation.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Horrible place in a really good location

The goods thing about the hotel were all found outside. Good restaurants, walking distance to the centre was OK etc. The rooms were a huge disappointment! No heating system (it was the cold season), bathroom was old and the walls were almost coming down, no key to the balcony door, the safe worked on the first day and then refused to open the next day and we had to call for help. The bed was uncomfortale and some of the personnel were so unfriendly. Do not believe the pictures on the website.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

Great staff and quiet location!

The staff were so helpful and were willing to help with anything from organising tours to writing down detailed instructions on what lines and buses to take. The area had a variety of restaurants and cafes within walking distance.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Overall it was a pleasent trip.

The bathroom needs improvements imho and also to the room with do good if the walls paint would be refreshed.

I loved the fact that the hotel was in the middle of the city with subway access.The room was big and clean...sunny in the day, warm.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

Good for the money

No hot water on one morning. Uncomfy bed - made by 2 separate beds with a gap between - good for divorced people Not daily room cleaning

Location. Easy access to metro station.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

Perfect hotel in the heart of the city

Great placed hotel, clean and very good quality for this money. A lot of the interesting places and restaurants around. The public transport is in few steps.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

Great choice of budget hotel in Budapest

The room and furnishers were a bit old. Additionally, we were provided with 2 single beds putting together instead of a big double bed as requested.

The hotel is located in a quiet and peaceful neighborhood and within a walking distant from public transportation.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Very good location, helpful staff.

The curtains were too thin, so the lamps on the street lighted the room too. I also heard the noises of the restaurant.

Very good location, helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

Good location, quiet street close to Supermarket &...

Breakfast very bad not worth it. Bread was stale, you can get lovely bread from supermarket round the corner. Street is quiet mostly residential street so if you come back late at night there is no one around, it seemed safe though. Walls very thin, I had no problems but if you have bad neighbours would be a problem.

Good location, quiet street close to Supermarket & bars/restraunts ect. In between 2 metro lines (5-10 mins walk), close to trams. 5-10 mins to riverbus stop (you can use all day travel pass for free Monday-Friday). Close to Corvin metro station is a shopping mall, cafes/bars & a nice 24hr laundry with info in English (bubbles). My room was very big for price & had small balcony.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

A medium quality establishment.

No tea or coffee making facilities or kettle. The breakfast was a low quality dismal affair which we decided to abort. We made alternative arrangements.

A medium sized twin-bedded room with a view over the street and rooftops suited our needs. The room had most of the amenities you would expect from similar establishments .

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

Moved out after one night there -> and dont pay in advance

Hey, i had to move out after horrible night there. This hotel has not been clean since the building had been built. Old furniture with trace of humidity. Some hairs in the bathtops , moist towels and smelly moist bed lines. Besides , it was hot and the windows are looking into inside yard. Believe me, you can hear what the neighbors are doing -> crying, yelling , etc. dont pay in advance, coz they will not return your money. SO DONT STAY EVER THERE.

nothing , particularly nothing

Stopover in Budapest

Breakfast satisfactory but a little fruit would have added to it.

Spacious room and the safe deposit box in room very handy

Thanks for everything

I needed a kettle in the room

Thanks for everything

Room very hot and air conditioning did not work.

Room very hot and air conditioning did not work. Receptionist was not happy to see us when we arrived.

Beautiful experience.

toilet could be restored a little, especially the shower

Spacious room, peace & quiet, friendly staff, great location

Nice staff, very helpful

Some work was going on so there was some noise and disruption but it didn't particularly affect me.

Nice staff, very helpful

I don't recommend it

- Terrible bathroom - dirty toilet - hair in the bathroom - spider web in the room

Bed was comfortable

Quick check in and out

The bathroom sink was clogged

Quick check in and out

Nice

Staff and room

Please find something else, it's not good.

They have uploaded photoshopped pictures and property is really not good, the staff was helpful though.

Nothing really

Far from metro far from city center far from Airport

Far from metro far from city center far from Airport

Too far from City Center, far from bus and metro station

Too far from City Center, far from bus and metro station

comfortable bed

comfortable bed

Comfortable

Room safe did not work - but this was sorted. No bar at the hotel

friendly staff - good location

Tel in the room was out of order

Tel in the room was out of order Room was very cold

Never more...

Noise, noise, noise... Never more..

Outdoor restaurant seatings

Outdoor restaurant seatings

it s just my worst choice ever i don t recommend to anyone moreover i think it should ne removed from booking.com network

The room has not aircondition

The room has not aircondition

Personnal was very friendly

In the room I saw a cockroach, which is not good :/

Personnal was very friendly

Parking and location not bad

An ordinary bottle of water for 3 euro in the room, locked door to the balcony, shabby room

Parking and location not bad

Wouldn't recommemd this accomodation to anyone.

Beds, cleanliness, bathroom

Just don't stay there

All

NO AC !

NO AC ! deep disaster

Not ok

Cleaningness of the place was very bad.

Breakfast not in the hotel but still ok

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Friendly stuff, good location

A little bit soundproof would be better, it wasn't a big problem

Friendly stuff, good location, clean rooms and towels

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

Great staff and location

Great staff and location

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Value for money

Bath room, no drinking water available in hotel

Good wifi,value for money,not too far from city,customer support.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

Excellent budget hotel

Lift didn't extend to my floor and lift very busy in the morning.

Good Location. not far from the Metro. Good facilities and comfortable room

Bof... not many things.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

AMAZING

EVERYTHING IS PERFECT

THE STAFF WAS THE BEST, VERY GOOD HOUSEKEEPING DAILY, VERY GOOD LOCATION, EVERYTHING WAS GREAT!

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

staff was very ok .

the heating sistem was awfull ...very cold in room

staff was very ok .they deserve 10+ nice location

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Very good accommodation in Budapest

well located near the city center, very nice and friendly personal always ready to help, good breakfast and spacious rooms.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

very helpful staff

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

I liked checking out 3 days early!

I liked checking out 3 days early!

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

Clean tidy and local to shops and main transport links recommended.

Not applicable .

The hotel in general was very good and the food was well presented.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

Super

Fridge was loud so I had to turn it off

Room was huge, wifi worked prrfectly, close to downtown about 15 min by foot, great garage underground

There are also 61 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.