Reviews of Abbey Hotel Donegal 3 stars

The Diamond, Donegal, Ireland

#4 of 6 hotels in Donegal

The last time we stayed here it seemed more friendly and the lobby had a welcoming vibe. NO chairs at all in the huge lobby ! The breakfast minimal and rushed. The room amenities were sparse. No tissue, no soaps, etc. The hall-lights were on timers to save money, but went out before you could get the key in the door !

The location is perfect if you are traveling by bus. The bus stops outside the door. If you don’t have a car, there are many goog food options nearby. The travel office is just down the street.

Buffet breakfast very ordinary, but nothing else open early for breakfast so no alternative Better to go to supermarket around corner (open early) and buy yoghurts/bread etc. Cannot do in advance as no refrigerator in room. Parking was in a nearby public carpark. Entrance of hotel is also where the main bus stop is, so the hotel entrance area was always crowded with people and many smokers.

Decent sized room overlooking river. Comfortable queen size bed. Good sized bathroom, very clean. Finally a place in the bathroom to put toiletries etc.! In the centre of the small town. Local restaurant "The Olde Castle Bar" was great - suggest book on arrival if planning to eat there. There are quite a few local eating options.

• Family Room

Rooms are dirty; walls are paper thin and we had a group next door that came in and out of their room from 1am-4:30am ; no air conditioning and other patrons smoked in their rooms even though signs say no smoking. So can't open your window without smoke coming in

Room was especially tired and too hot to get a good nights sleep, outside temp was 23 deg so no excuse for the room retaining the heat, should have air con for the high price paid, shame they don’t offer a good night guarantee!! price is high due to location.

The room we had was our only let-down. Somewhat due to the very good weather we enjoyed. The room was on the top floor and suffered from being uncomfortably warm. The particular room faced the front of the building and was directly over the very busy Bus Stop. Window closed - too hot, window open - too loud.

The staff were very friendly and the food was great. There was music in the bar and it all added to us having a very relaxed family stay. What I would say, all these good points are not specific to being a resident of the hotel.

Our room was over the smoking area and was noisy when the nightclub got going.

The room was lovely and had a good bathroom with shower over bath there was shower gel and shampoo. There also was a flat screen TVs and tea and coffee facility. Plenty of chairs to sit on and also plenty of drawer and wardroom space.

Did not like the fact that when we checked in we were not made aware that our room was above their night club. We literally were awake to4 in the morning it was a bank holiday the next day but we were just back from a wedding in mayo and would have appreciated a good nights sleep which we did not get.

it is a comfortable hotel and food in bar was lovely served by a very friendly member of staff.

One elevator was not working (hadn't been for a few weeks) which required climbing stairs. It was manageable but very inconvenient.

The location is fantastic! The staff are warm and friendly and the food was enjoyable.

• Family Room

The front of the hotel seemed to be where all of the tour buses and local buses loaded and unloaded creating pedestrian traffic jams of people either exiting the buses or waiting to be picked up making it difficult to get in and out of the front door of the hotel.

excellent location right in the heart of the town ... able to walk to everything in town.

The noise in the early hours of the morning is shocking.

Not the worst place I have stayed and the staff where friendly. Rooms could do with a refurbish

The smell or the corridors. The beds near broke my back and the pillows my neck. The lift was broke. And the noise that came from down stairs in the hotel was so loud even though we were in the 2nd floor it kept me up.

the boom boom noise from the disco until 3.30am, impossible to sleep through. and the smoking area below our window, extremely noisy chatter from disco revellers.

The room was not to our liking.paint falling of the ceiling and toilet not working.room just generally not appealing.

Restaurants where good with lovely food

We checked in on Sunday at around 2pm and the lady in reception was so kind and friendly. Sorry didnt catch her name but keep up the great job you are doing! We went to Derek Ryan that afternoon and it was a fantastic show.

Nothing really. It would have been nice if breakfast was included in the price.

Decent hotel well situated in the centre of Donegal Town. Staff very helpful and friendly. Would stay here again.

Very friendly and welcoming staff at reception, quick and easy check in. Food was delicious and the breakfast was very tasty with really generous portions. Staff in restaurant and bar very friendly also. Lovely atmosphere in this hotel.

Room was boiling hot even with radiators off and window open. Literally didn’t sleep for 2 night because of heat.

Location great for bars and restaurants. Evening meal in Abbey delicious.

Our bed wasn’t very comfortable and we were quite a distance from the ground floor. Tv very small and far away from the bed.

Location was perfect. Good atmosphere.

onli I was too busy with work to ring I wasn't a happy camper coming back from.this hotel. 1st of all when we came back to hotel there was a fight at the door with woman and bouncer fair enuf that's between them but I said to the other bouncer can I get in to go to my bed and he's goes naw ur not a resident ere and I said excuse me I am. well he insisted that I wasn't and I wasn't getting in and pushed the door closed on my face.the guards were there I told them to get them to let me in and they did. such a disgrace ya have to go get guards to get into hotel which u are paying for. Then when I eventually got to my bed got about half an hours sleep the wit the cleaners in bar until early hours of the morning. when I think about it I actuali don't no why I paid money for that stay.you go to a hotel to relax.i was up to high doe this def wasn't a relaxing experience

staff at reception and serving food were lovely.cant say that about ur bouncers

We weren't even checked in an hour when I went to take a shower. I put the mat down and took all safety precautions. When I entered and stepped under the shower the mat slipped out from under me causing a serious fall. My left leg from the knee down suffered serious scratches, swelling, and both external and internal bruising. My upper back was in pain from smashing against the wall. My husband came to my assistance and helped me up. Upon getting me settled he immediately called the front desk to report the incident where we received a very poor response. The receptionist did not act the least concerned only offering to call a doctor, when asked if we could simply have ice and first aid delivered to the room we were denied. At no point during the remainder of our 2 night stay did anyone from the hotel inquire as to my well being.

We enjoyed the restaurant, service and food

Being on the third floor we heard the nightclub until 3am, after that had stopped the ventilation drums outside our window kept us awake. If you are planning to be out until 3-4am this would work but for anything else I would have a look at something else.

The location was good, the beds ok. The whole place needs a polish.

Bed was extremely uncomfortable, the toiletries disappointing, no shampoo or body wash at the swimming pool next door along with no biscuits provided in the rooms meant it def felt like corners were being cut everywhere and there was no feeling of luxury at all. On top of that the security staff in the bar did not behave in a manner that indicated any basic medical training when a customer collapsed in the bar and required emergency medical attention, they tried to manhandle an unconscious individual and throw him out of the bar!

The band on Saturday night were excellent and the hotel staff were lovely and very friendly

Males over 5 years in women's locker room. Leisure actor has no age max that minor males can be brought into women's locker room. Leisure Ctr needs family dressing room for those mums who can't let their older than 5 years boys dress with the men. Bad practice.

Pool in leisure center

Bed could of been bigger and the rooms need updated

Good location and central in the town. Food in the bar was top notch and the staff were very friendly and helpful

No hot water in shower r hot water taps /had to wait over 2 hours for room. As it was not ready after 5pm,!no towels in room when we finally got a room..

Could of been cleaner

When I filled the bath it looked like there was old vommit stuck it the stopper and the bath filled with this and stinked out the room

Room was small, bed was really horrible, it wasn't comfortable. Our room looked out over a roof with a air conditioning unit going all the time. Then about 11.30-12.00. this rave type music came on and that was it till 3.00 in the morning. I think we got about three hours sleep. We had not booked breakfast but decided to buy it at the hotel we were charge 40.00 euros for cold food. which we couldn't eat. Never again.

Booked a deluxe room and the room i had looked pretty standard and wasnt overly clean. Also requested and was told i could have late check out and was rang 3 times that morning to ask why i hadnt checked out.

Right in the centre of donegal town. Restraunts, bars and shops close by.

• Family Room

Beds were really uncomfortable in bad need of replacement and the cleanliness left alot to be desired. Under bed was filthy. Black mould on tiles and old make up marks all over bathroom.

Location great. Choice of rooms good.

An Irish Coffee is my favourite drink when it is made properly, for the life of me I do not know why Hotels have a spoon and sugar left on the side when the whole purpose of the drink is to sip with the cream still on the top. Customers should be asked if they wish to have sugar in the drink, and if so put it in and melt it with the warm water.

Excellent view,heating just right, Irish Coffee improved, very friendly, bed and pillows good.plenty of tea milk and coffee in room. Bar food sandwiches lovely.

• Family Room

The room is freezing the fire alarm went off for no reason in the middle of the night and woke everybody up we were uncomfortable and really disliked our stay

Bathroom very unsuitable for elderly guesses or people with any kind disability + I felt breakfast should have been included in the price . Also we were advised on booking that there would be music only to be told not until midnight this is far to late at night.

Pleasent staff nice food comfortable room bathroom

• Family Room

Everything was lovely and staff efficient and friendly

Did not eat at the hotel as it was already booked out but ate at central hotel which was 110 percent

I complained and to be fair they gave me a discount as our room was not cleaned once during our 3 night stay nor where the towels changed - breakfast was a shambles and it sounded like the roof was caving in above us!!! There were at least ten of us there for a wedding an everyone was not happy - great location but hotel needs updating and the cleaning sorted out as well as the breakfast - not what you expect for such a rate

Lovely staff and lively bar

Service at the bar hotel was abysmal. We bused our own tables. In times when the bar was not that busy, it was nearly impossible to get the attention of the wait staff. The rooms were extremely hot and there was no way to effectively regulate it. They advertise having toiletries available, but that proved somewhat false. The soap in the shower was empty (they use dispensers vs. the usual travel sized bottles) and there were no wash clothes (however, I was informed by my travel buddies that I should not expect to have a wash cloth). The attitude of the staff was, all around, disappointing. On the day we checked out, we finally had a lovely person who worked with us.

You couldn't beat the location of this hotel---it was easily accessible to all of the Donegal Town pubs, shopping and restaurants.

• Family Room

We would have liked more towels considering the number of us staying. However we did get more from room service the next morning after a request.

The family room was an excellent size. Shower was powerful and a good temperature.

In need of modernisation Parking down the road 😩 Breakfast not good not worth €10 Coffee was bad Lift door kept opening before it would go. Took 4/5/6 presses of the button to get it to go

Nice view of river from room Room was clean Reception staff friendly and helpful

Wifi in the room was patchy (3rd floor)

Really good location in the middle of town and close to everything Parking is only about 150 meters away - but you can pull up at the front to offload passengers and luggage (then get a free ticket for the car park) A lovely little town

Next morning was ophelia.s arrival but wasn.t too windy in the morning.cant say anything bout property.because of ophelia we went home early missed the nice shops

Comfortable an warm not too modern.

Bar staff taking food order for our party was very rude, quite morbid. Although a traditional hotel the rooms feel a little too dated. The room temp was too cold & the radiator system didn’t work/unclear. Outside corridor far too loud, the walls/doors are too thin and offer no sound proofing, someone could be knocking on another door way down the corridor and it sounds like your own door.

Coach links were great. The stop is right outside the hotel. Reception staff were welcoming and friendly. Links to the swimming facilities next door & the bar was convenient.

Room way too basic and mattresses on bed most def need replacing. Uncomfortable and not up to hotel standard at all.

Reception staff exceptional. Lady called Catherine. Friendly, welcoming and efficient.

temperature in the room was high-10 euro charge for breakfast was too high[which we didn't have]

friendly staff- good facilities-excellent restaurant-good central kocation

The parking is a little ways away but there was no problem finding spots. It is very noisy late at night outside. It didn't affect our sleeping; but if you are a light sleeper it is loud on a Saturday night.

The Abbey Hotel in Donegal has a great location! It is right in the city center. You can walk to all restaurants and live music. The staff was very friendly. The hotel room was comfortable.

Wifi reception was sketchy at best in our room. Breakfast was in a room with sawing and construction going on during breakfast. Breakfast wasn't great and wasn't worth what we paid for it.

The lobby was beautiful.

Room was too warm, bed a fraction too small, and the decor dated bordering on faded. Steam room next to pool had been out of action (due to improper use) for four weeks, and only worked on our last day

Bar & food service was good. Leisure centre adequate. Good value food.

Lovely stay in a lovely town — perhaps our favorite town of our two-week trip. The room was nice and clean, nice-sized, and with a comfortable bed. Really, the entire hotel was thoroughly charming. We had a bit of a scare coming back late from the pub and finding the place shuttered, but the night man quickly answered, and all was well. While parking isn't onsite, it was included, and was in a lot just round the corner, which was perfectly convenient. The location, directly in the centre of town, couldn't have been more perfect, and we'd gladly come back to both the Abbey Hotel and Donegal Town.

Staff -good and bad

Staff were inconsistent. We had some check in difficulties with the reservation but after not initiallly being helpful it was very positive to see them work it through. Breakfast is very organized and we were inconvenienced by having to go back and forth to the front desk to get all of the items required in order to show we paid for breakfast. The front desk clerk and the hostess were not in good communication. Room is very clean and comfortable. Great location and parking is good.

The hotel clearly relies on coach tours which can make reception and the bars very crowded and busy. The bar is the least attractive part of the hotel but there is a comfortable large sitting area in reception which is a relaxing spot for a drink and the dining room is very smart.

The hotel had a good feel of a slightly old fashioned market town hotel. The staff were very helpful. Our room was very comfortable and large enough to contain a table and chairs which is good. It is well placed right in Donegal centre with bars shops and the castle to visit. There is a good choice of restaurants in the town and bars with Irish music.

I messed up my booking, arrived a day too early which was also a Saturday night. Lady at reception couldn't have been more helpful and change booking to get me in for the night.

Rooms were poor at best. Not to mention they weren't even ready even though I didn't arrive till almost 4:30pm. Plus anything above 2nd floor is a mission to get to the room.

Room for wedding was very good and the food was absolutely beautiful.

• Family Room

Staff could be friendlier, pub entrance below our room was extremely noisy with drunk people shouting and fighting till 04:00AM, breakfast could be better

Central, large family room, lovely Thai restaurant

It was very hot in the rooms, and some smelled like fried food or what was being cooked. Breakfast could have been better, for the price we chose to go elsewhere the next day.

The location and the comfort of the pillows and bedding was very good.

Hotel is large but has only a few parking places. Most guests have to park in a public car park and lug everything 150 yards. The hotel cannot book or guarantee its own parking so you have no way of knowing whether you will get a space.

Big room, very clean.

Had to pay for breakfast when rest of bridal party got it included in their room rate.

Rooms extremely dated and very over priced for what the rooms offer. Back in Derry you can stay in a high end 4* for £50 less

Parking was a bit tricky! It's free as the hotel gives you parking admission tickets but a bit cramped!

Very good value! Central to everything you need, Spar, coffee shops, Irish music in at least one of the bars every night! Good food and bar at hotel! Donegal is central to Slieve League (a must visit) to the north and the Sligo coast to the south! Both about an hour away!

Most uncomfortable bed I have even slept in, rock hard and we got no sleep! When I fed this back to staff on reception in the morning they were dismissive and uninterested saying then were getting new mattresses. Very disappointing as have stayed here before and had a great experience, won't be rushing back.

No tea or coffee making facilities.

Good breakfast with very good porridge. Comfortable bed. Very basic accommodation but in a good location in the centre of Donegal. Perfectly ok for a one night stay.

Very noisy. People right outside the room's windows partied hard and loud up to 2:00 AM. One morning staff person (was cleaning the lobby) threw a sign on our table informing us that no outside food/drinks were allowed, yet it was too early for hotel coffee. Very rude.

Reception at front desk (Steffani) was outstanding. She was incredibly busy yet very responsive and helpful. Abbey Bar was a great place to end the night. Restaurant prices were way way high. Got up way too early one morning. Walked into kitchen and lovely lady offered to make me a pot of coffee!

Parking way down the street in a parking lot.we had to haul all of our stuff down busy sidewalks.

Wonderful location. We had a great time shopping and ate great food in a pub.

Our toilet had not been cleaned and was not working. We were finally changed to another room after an hour of numerous phone calls and discussions.

We arrived at the same time that the annual Hibernian parade was on. The hotel was quite crowded and noisy . However it was still fun to witness the parade and celebrations.

Accommodations were very good and were well situated in town

No parking available - we had to park about 1km from the hotel. We checked in at 4h30 pm and one of our rooms wasn't ready. At 6pm the second room still wasn't ready so we got a different room that was right above the noisy entrance. The first room was old and muggy with a smelly carpet. Right in front of the elevator so noisy, drunk people kept us up until 4am. Staff is unhelpful and unfriendly.

Beautiful little town. Hotel is centrally located.

The lift only went to 3rd floor and we were on 4th floor. I'm also quite dissatisfied that when we booked via booking.com we were told that breakfast was free ie included, when we arrived we were told by reception staff that it was not included and we had been misinformed. Therefore had to pay daily for breakfast and when we asked to speak to a manager we were told that he is aware of this issue and he would not be able to help us. Also, we requested a bright room with big window and instead we were in an attic type room.

The music and entertainment was good

The biggest problem was when we arrived at the hotel, reception told us that there was nothing booked. Showed them the booking confirmation which hadn't been passed on from booking.com. The staff at the hotel were brilliant and sorted rooms for us straight away even though it was a very busy weekend. Not great breakfast or dinner menus for vegetarians at the hotel.

Excellent location comfy rooms

Clenlinesss was only ok, noise however was unacceptable. Can forgive a busy weekend, nightclub noise etc, bad but understandable but no excuse for being able to hear the room next door have a convirsation!! I'd say I was lucky to get an hour sleep

Location is good though no parking

We were only staying 1 night so room was fine. If staying longer would prefer a room with window looking out onto something other than a concrete square / back of a shed. Sandwiches/lite bites should be available to purchase in bar after 9pm! Think for room rate a breakfast should be included in price.

Hotel bar was large,plenty of seating & live music. Use of adjacent hotel pool was great; didn't realise it wasn't on the hotel premises. Door men were very friendly & helpful.

No room service options and breakfast time finished too early at 10 should definitely be 11am especially in busy summer months other than that food was delicious

Comfortable bedrooms and restaurant and bar reasonable menu and tasty. Music was great every night too

Food staff & service was fantastic. Only down side was the décor of the room , it needed painting. It had been touched up but with the wrong colour !!

Nothing that we disliked. There was no view from the bedroom window (just the roofs of adjoining buildings) but that was of absolutely no concern for us.

large bedroom and equally large en suite with bath and powerful shower (into bath). Hotel on the Diamond so very convenient for walking to shops, pubs and restaurants.

the staff weren't very approachable. we found them to be very unhappy and not didn't make us feel welcome at all! which is a pity if this was improved we would have stayed in the hotel more.

rooms were fine food was delicious and entertainment was brilliant!

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

Breakfast was a disappointment. Had booked room only by mistake. Got a 10 euro voucher for the first morning and Lady told us to wait until next day to get another voucher so must have been hinting to us about breakfast. Went out the next morning for breakfast in local cafe. So much better. Very poor selection for breakfast. Was told to sit anywhere and had to ask waitress for tea. No nice fruit. Toast was cold. Bacon salty and fatty. No Black pudding.

Great location and good atsmosphere

We were on the 2nd floor, can't remember room no., the only fault was the noise of traffic early in the morning, especially the buses pulling up. When we were leaving on Wednesday morning 26th July after 10am approx., the lady wasn't that chatty/friendly, took the money & said goodbye & never even asked "how our stay was"?, which I thought wasn't acceptable really, after all, we did stay 3 nights. Of all hotels I have been to over the past few years in Ireland, this is the 1st time I have encountered this, so for that reason I would certainly not be rushing back - no point being in a job when you can't at least have a chat and have a friendly face!. And finally, to be honest it wasn't "value for money" - too expensive just for 3 nights BED (no Breakfast included) which I thought was very steep!.

Room was perfect, clean & bed very comfortable - well done to your staff!. We arrived on Sunday evening after 5pm on Sunday 23rd July, the lady on the desk was friendly & co-operative. Evening meals in the Bar were lovely & tasty & staff in the bar were courteous & friendly which means a lot.

This hotel was noisey , buses arriving all hours and the hotel promoting there musical events rather than the accommodation.

The central location was great

On arrival the receptionists first greeting was to rhyme off the check in time, no welcome as such. On checking out, same girl again just did transaction, to be fair she did say thank you but no inquiry as to how we enjoyed our stay.

This hotel is 3 star in foyer/bar and restaurant, very much down hill on reaching our bedroom. The furniture resembled something you may find in a skip. The bed was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was fair but terrible mildew on tiles in the shower. Fabulous bar manager friendly and efficient.

The Breakfast Buffet was somewhat limited as no croissants or danish or anything sweet included and it could do with more variety in the breads on offer.

The staff were efficient and friendly the rooms were large and well equipped with good beds and linen and had coffee and tea making facilities

Browse Abbey Hotel Donegal traveller photo gallery