Reviews of Achill House 4 stars

Western Road, Cork, Ireland

#15 of 24 B&Bs and Inns in Cork

• Triple or Twin Room

Lady running the place is lovely, really friendly and helpful. Location is great, just a at short walk into town. Serendipity down the road is lovely for breakfast as we didn't have brekkie included.

• Triple or Twin Room

Parking was an issue- only 4 spaces- but another guest had blocked one. We had to park around the corner on the street. They said there was another public car park but was not sure if we had to pay.

• Budget Double Room

Ideally situated, Walking distance to the restaurants and the Englisch Market. Quiet at Night. very competent, friendly Host. It was a pleasure to stay, highly recommended

Dated Expensive Climb to top floor Not as expected

Very clean bathroom Good wifi Good tv Tea and coffee facilities Convenient to city centre Parking Quiet Friendly staff

Zlatka, Michelle and everyone were so wonderful! We could not have asked for a better stay. They were so good to us!! We will always think of our wonderful stay there with fondness.

• Budget Double Room

They were very welcoming and accommodating. Location is very central and the place was very clean and had nice facilities like towels, shampoo and tea and coffee in the room. Would recommend.

Because of the move of location at the last minute the walk to the city was longer but that was okay. The only other thing was that the pillows were so flat and there was only one for each of us. Overall that was it for the cons. Very minimal for a two day stay in cork.

We were moved to a separate house that was more for the college students because we were able to easily leave with our car as opposed to being blocked in. The staff was accommodating to us for this reason. The house was quiet and it was nice to have a kitchen and laundry if we had needed it. The shower was great! Great temp and pressure.

Thin walls, but respectful guests during night time.

Great hospitality. The hosts were very friendly and helpful, the room was clean and beautiful decorated. The location is quite central, close to the University and the Park, 10 min walk to the city center and main attractions of Cork.

There are only four car park spaces available in an extremely tight space with a sign that cars are parked at owners risk. I would not recommend this B&B if you are not happy with your own parking and reversing skills in a tight space. You are also at risk that your car may be damaged by another guest who may not have those driving skills. Two cars are double parked at a time. Staff had to organise the rotation of where cars were parked to ensure that guests could arrive and leave as desired. When the car park was full - guests had to park away from the B&B itself. Disappointing that the parking restrictions were not highlighted in advance of booking.

The staff (Eladka) was extremely helpful, friendly and approachable, and allowed me to book in earlier than the book-in time due to other commitments I had. The room and facilities were comfortable and clean. The B&B is in a lovely location.

• Budget Double Room

The host who welcomed me - Laslla didn't know anything about the city or the surroundings, because she had started working there a week earlier. This is why she couldn't really answer any of my questions. She made a mistake at the beginning and I was charged twice for the same accommodation. The room was so small that I could hardly open my suitcase without blocking the door of the bathroom and the entrance door of the room. The breakfast was very poor and not worrth the price at all. At the end when I was going to take my luggage, I was nota llowed to use the bathroom and I was pushed out to wait for my taxi outside. Such attitude is very far away from my idea and conceipt of hospitality. I don't recommend this place to anyone.

I didn't like anything about this property

• Budget Double Room

There were no cups provided in our room despite the fact that there was a kettle and tea and coffee making facilities there. We helped ourselves to cups from a kitchen downstairs as we didnt come across any staff to ask, but this was fine, no big deal

Bed was comfortable and room clean, lovely powerful shower and room was in quiet spot which was nice. Excellent location for touring city and shopping etc, 5 mins walk and free parking which was a huge plus for us

The room was a little small, but it was suitable for a short stay. The walls are a bit thin, though, so you can hear pretty much everything going on in the hall.

The location was great, not far from the city center and in close proximity to historic sights. The room was clean and comfortable. The property also has a cozy sitting room. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Budget Double Room

The bed was very uncomfortable and all of the linens and pillows seemed very old. The room was dusty. Hot water was lacking. I went to make a cup of tea and when I opened the kettle I could see mold everywhere at the bottom. Staff was hard to find and communication was difficult since English was not their first language. The staff lived there and was using all of the areas that were supposed to be communal for their own use. Honestly, I feel like I should be getting money back.

The only thing I can say that’s positive is that they were accommodating when it came to holding our bags after checkout.

The iron I borrowed had something stuck to it, so my shirt was dirty after ironing. Small problem, otherwise everything was great.

Owner was super helpful and friendly. I arrived at 10.30am having booked an hour earlier, and they managed to book me in straight away. Clean, comfortable room. Lots of small details done well - good bed, good hairdryer, heavy curtains. Excellent for UCC.

There was very little hot water for most of our stay, the shower head was cracked and the pipe leading into the wall from the shower was leaking when the shower was on. Also, there was a broken tile in the bathroom that squeaked a lot when stepped on.

The bed was very comfortable, there was plenty of space for the two of us, it was very warm in the room and plenty of tea and coffee was available.

the parking was so tiny, my car got blocked in and I couldn't take my car out in the evening which i had wanted to do. The room was very small and much too hot so I had to have the windows open all night, which made it noisy.

We were booked into the top room and the bed was positioned in an aweful place under the gable. I bumped my head full force on the gable twice when getting up during the night. The parking was very tight and all cars need to be moved should one person need to get out.

Great location, easy walking distance to city center (I am not a big walker) and the bathroom was very clean.

Luxury according to sign? 4*? You're having a laugh. Very basic indeed. Cold room first night - attic room. Small room, shabby outdated decor, uncomfortable bed. Chair in room looked filthy - it probably wasn't but the 1980s grey/beige colour of the cover gave that impression Mismatched old bedding with very thin, worn duvet. Needed the extra blanket - a first for me. 2-3 channel tv. (RTE1, Ch 4 & BBC1 with sound but no picture)Not what I would call multi-channel Bit noisy - though not owner's fault Small bath towel, no towel rail to hang up used towels. I'm happy to re-use but nowhere to put them except over shower rail. Dormer window high up - doubt if it conforms to safety regulations as means of emergency escape Grossly overpriced as no breakfast included (though could be bought, I wasn't paying a penny more) I'm not normally too fussy about facilities so long as a place is clean and tolerably comfortable but even if had been half price I'd have been disappointed. Photos on site do not show my room, maybe others are better though colleagues in single rooms were not impressed either. Disappointing experience.

Convenient location for university. Shower good, after managed to adjust the broken knob. There was a spare blanket - I needed it.

Although it's free which is wonderful, the parking was somewhat inconvenient at times. I had a wedding to get to, but my car was blocked in. The owners of the car were not at the house and no one else was either. I called the owner of the house and she immediately started making phone calls to reach the girl who owned the car. Everything got sorted out, but the parking at the house is not exactly ideal.

I stayed there for 5 nights and the rate was great. It was in a very central location within Cork so I could conveniently walk to a lot of places or take a short drive to get somewhere. I also liked having a private bedroom and bathroom. Each day I was offered to have my room serviced with clean bedding and towels - I politely declined the new sheets (I tend to bring my own), but I did like receiving clean shower towels. The ladies that run the house are extremely polite and hospitable.

• Triple or Twin Room

We enjoyed our stay especially because Mira was so welcoming. She made us the best coffee! We stayed an extra night because of hurricane Ophelia. Nice big room and within an easy walk to the centre of old Cork.

It was very basic.

Ideal Location. Just a quick walk to the city centre and practically straight across from UCC main gates. Bed was comfortable. Seemed very clean.

Rooms a little on the small side. Room 4 seemed to be lit up by an outside light in the night, but room 1 was fine.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Conveniently situated for centre of Cork. Very clean. We didn't have breakfast.

I felt the room wasn't comfortable and was outdated. I didn't like the room at all! The bathroom was fine. It was overpriced for the standard and quality of the room. Breakfast was not included in the price. You have to pay extra. They only offer continental breakfast!

Location was excellent. Close to city centre and right beside UCC! Owner was helpful.

I didn't like that I had to pay extra for breakfast for what was essentially a B&B and that all that was on offer at €7.50 was a continental breakfast. Nothing hot on offer

Bed was ok but toilet dripped all nigh

• Triple or Twin Room

Hot water in shower came and went sometimes. Lighting in room was low -not good for reading.

Position of Hotel was great for walking into town. Staff were helpful and friendly. Room was clean and spacious

I would like to see a green policy for towel washing etc. Lots of hotels and other accommodation have a green policy on display in the bathrooms. If a customer would like new towels they place the old towels in the bath or shower. If not they hang them up. This helps the environment and saves energy costs too!

The accommodation is in a great location. It is only a 5 min walk to the centre of the city. There are some very nice restaurants only a few minutes walk away. The accommodation is very clean and tidy and comfortable. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

One would expect any BnB in Ireland to provide a cooked breakfast for €90 per night (cereal and toast). TV channels weren't tuned in properly and the WIFI didn't work. Rooms dated.

Location is good. Free parking.

Tv wasn't tuned properly and the shower head fitting was broken - it meant bending low to wash your hair.

Nice, clean place and good value for money.

Excellent stay-great service-Staff was especially helpful with ideas on where to visit and ways to get around. I plan to stay again next visit. They could not have done more to be welcoming.

The BnB is actually quite a bit outside of town. Closer to a 30 minute walk and longer than a 5 minute car ride. I probably wouldn't stay here again because it wasn't close enough to the city centre. it's across from the university so I would only stay here again if there was a reason to visit the university.

Friendly and likeable host. Clean and modern room and facilities.

All wouldn't recommend it to anyone

Very basic property over priced compared to other properties we stayed in around Ireland more suited to students. Noises staff not interested if you were comfortable only interested in taking money

I don't feel I can say nothing bad about it

The room was clean. The location to the city was very good. The woman in the reception was nice she let us keep some food in the fridge and use the microwave.

Old-fashioned, cramped, loud. We could hear the room neighbors talking and partying. Pillow was a thin sliver, almost non-existent.

Clean, great location. Quick walk to the city center.

Kettles "being cleaned" all at once. Tv broken in room. No breakfast included and only an option of cereal and fruit for €7! Go to the cafe down the road. Really not great.

location.

Tv didn't work. No kettle - It was being de-scaled. Then when I got it back it didn't work, but the host did make tea/coffee for us. But this was no good if host had retired for the night. No cooked breakfast provided. Only fruit and cereal that cost €7. We had to eat breakfast in a cafe down the road.

Friendly service

• Triple or Twin Room

Breakfast should be included in the rate.

The staff was super friendly, allowed us to check in early, so kind!! They helped us find free parking in the busy urban area ( there are only 2-3 spots out front). Our room was clean and perfect for our family of three. Parents and a teenager. We felt safe walking down the streets, and to the English market. The ONLY draw back was breakfast cost extra? Its a bed AND breakfast. Luckily we were right in down town and could quickly walk to breakfast spots. The people are super nice, the rooms clean, really all I could ask for!

Cleaner let us in, didn't seem to have great customer service but was probably a language barrier issue. It felt a bit like we were just staying in someones home, could hear the people staying next to us from our room clearly. Quite a small room, a little old fashioned.

Owner (maybe sister's owner) was very friendly and allowed us to park after checking out. Good location!

• Triple or Twin Room

The bathroom door didn't latch (minor) and the fan needed to be cleaned.

Clean, good location, full sized bathtub for showering which was nice! Host was very friendly. Free parking.

Tv in room did not work. Hot tap on sink could not turn off and shower only Luke warm.

Comfortable bed and surprise was a double as had booked a single room. Nice lounge to sit in.

The property was very run down and was very expensive for a b&b that didn't include breakfast.

The room was very clean and was very central to cork city centre. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The river lee hotel across the road has a fabulous bar and restaurant.

Charging extra for breakfast when you are a B&B is ridiculous. At €109 a night this should be included. Parking was terrible and we had to pay €18 for 24 hours to use a car park 10 minutes walk away. Not very convenient when you have luggage etc. If you park in the drive you risk the possibility of being blocked in by other guests but this wasn't a possibility for us as it was already full when we arrived. Bedroom facing the street was extremely loud for traffic all through the night and morning. The wire for the kettle was held together with masking tape. This is a fire hazard in my opinion.

Good location. Allowed us late check out at 12pm.

I arrived late but had requested a late check in. I rang the doorbell and was left to stand outside for too long so I rang the number I had for the property. When I was greeted there was no apology, just a reprimand from the staff member as it was her boss, who was not in the property at the time, I had gotten through to. I was not shown to my room and had to navigate the stairs and hallways in near darkness. The morning of check out I questioned whether the money had already been taken from my account as I could see the amount minused and I found the same staff member to be quite rude in her explanations. Value for money was poor. Surely as a B&B the rate should have included breakfast but it was room rate only.

We were expecting breakfast. When we went downstairs for breakfast we were told that nobody had signed up for breakfast, therefore there was no breakfast. We assumed that we had missed something in the room speaking to the need to signup for breakfast. There was nothing we could find antwhere that said we had to signup for breakfast. The lady who checked us in was the same lady who told us that we ( being one of the many who didn't signup) had not signed up.

The room was comfortable and clean. The neighborhood was safe. A bit of a hike to get to pubs, but completely doable.

The curtains did not close fully - smaller than the window they are in - and they were light with no backing. For mid summer this means a bright room at night and in the morning. A small point but otherwise a great place to stay.

Great staff, very friendly and smiley.

Photos very misleading pocky room tiny bathroom felt very closterphobic high price for small room at top of house 1 pillow each spare pillows in wardrobe but no pillowcases didnt even bother getting them out woken up at 5.30 by noisey bin men.

Locatian to city centre

• Triple or Twin Room

It was a bit hot on the room and some street noise.

Mira the manager was excellent friendly and made us several pots of tea. I feel like a made a good friend.

Comfortable yes, luxury accommodation no. Breakfast was only ok. White toasted bread. They ran out of ham and had to go and buy more. But for 2 nights it was ok, but pricey for what we got.

The room was small but comfortable and the guest house has a relaxed and informal atmosphere. We were able to easily walk into Cork centre from the hotel and we were always able to get a parking space off the road.

The wifi did not work up the stairs. The router at the bottom was fine, but the routers going up the stairs were all putting out no internet. The staff was unable to help. Staff used some of the only four spaces outside for parking. Room was at the top floor up; we had small bags, but for anyone lugging checked bags this could have been a nightmare.

The location was just about a ten minute walk from central Cork; fifteen to the English Market. The property was mostly quiet. Parking available outside (if you're lucky). The staff were honest and helpful as they could be.

• Triple or Twin Room

Room No. 5 is facing a busy road - very noisy. Bathroom is in need of an update/maintenance. PowerPoints need a safety check.

Location was very good. Host and staff very pleasant.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

The woman who runs this b&b could not have been friendlier or more welcoming. My room was small but clean as could be, and the proximity to great restaurants on Washington St. was hugely appreciated.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Car parking tight and back to back Breakfast basic and only served until 9-30

Helpful accomadating staff Room clean and well maintained Excellent location for accessing Cork city centre ,music venues and bars

The view - unfortunately the window was facing another concrete wall so impossible to see anything besides that. And the WiFi in the room was barely working.

Excellent location, especially to the university, which is less than 5 mins walking distance, and city centre close as well. The room was clean and comfortable, with plenty storage space.

Got parked ...but if later might not have and street park may then become an issue

Beautiful stay ..great hospitality ...close to centre of Cork ..hope to go back to Achill House again ...:)

The only negative was that it was quite noisy in the morning

Achill House was spotlessly clean and their location is very handy for a night out in Cork. We stayed in a very cosy room with all the necessary facilities.

I stayed at the Achill House to run the Cork City Marathon. Mira was really accommodating and looked after my things whilst I was at the race and made sure I had somewhere to freshen up when I got back. Comfy place to stay if you need to be close to Cork City Centre.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

It was hard to find. Our GPS got quite close but we had to ring host for final directions. Parking was right and we had to reverse in. Not a problem for a confident driver but not everyone would be able to manage.

Excellent location, very helpful and friendly hosts. wifi was initially a bit dodgy but host sorted that out. Room on the small side but quiet and big enough for a short stay. Also there was a large lounge available for guests. Host let us keep the car park till 2 pm on the day we left which was very helpful.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Triple or Twin Room

Wifi only worked for one person in our party, and even then was too slow to use at all. Not exactly what I had in mind when I selected a place with free wifi. It was very important for our trip, since we wanted to look up things to do in the area (which there isn't much of unless you just like to drink). It also smelled like smoke when we walked in the lobby, in our room the towels smelled like stale cigarettes, and carpet was pretty dirty looking.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

There was nothing not to like about this property.

I was working in Cork City centre for two days and it was fantastic to be able to park my car at the B&B (free of charge) for those 2 days, saving myself €'s in fees. Achill House couldn't accommodate my car but I was offered alternative accommodation (same owner) with parking within 1km which suited, only a 2km (25 minute) walk to South Mall for work each morning. Definitely will be staying here again.

Such a lovely place and lovely employees! Achill Hotel is well spotted (heart of Cork City), clean, quite and peaceful place. The room was not large but very well-organised, you can easily find everything you need. Highly recommended for everyone.

Staff member very busy, could have done with an extra person to talk to us when we booked in. Parked in car park in town overnight as only 4 parking spaces in front of b&b and didn't fancy leaving car out on the road on a sat night.

Room clean. Spare pillows. Quiet.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

An amazing staff runs this place, they were willing to help us with anything. There is free parking in the front. It is a nice walking distance to restaurants, and I would recommend this place to others.

Everything was OK. It was a good experience overall so I wouldn't criticize the place.

The bathroom was very clean and it had a powerful shower. The location is perfect, just minutes away from the city center and one minute away from the beautiful Cork University. The staff was very friendly.

Breakfast not included in booking - this wasn't clear. We asked the 'manager' about breakfast and were told £7 for continental from 8 - 9. We asked if any later possible as would be Saturday morning. Firmly told no - seems unreasonable when no cooking involved. We said we'd check out at 10:30 (latest allowed) - woken by hoovering outside door at 9:00.

It was clean

The Wi-Fi password wasn't written down anywhere but other than that Nothing

Highly recommended. 10 minute walk in to town centre. Me and my friend went as a girly weekend away!

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

All good, though a very short stay.

I've stayed in the area before, and Cork is a very walkable city, so you're only 15-20 minutes on foot from shops, bars and restaurants. The premises are well looked after, and if I didn't have to leave early to make an early flight, I'm sure I'd have enjoyed the breakfast.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

It's a little bit expensive for a guest house.

The friendly staff, cleanliness of rooms. The location was not so bad because I like to walk. If you arrive by train, for example, it's 40 minutes walking... From the city centre, it's 10 minutes.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Triple or Twin Room

Basic accomadation for a high price. Did not like having to pay 7 euros for toast and cereal.

Where were the croissants? We had choice of cereal and toast poor value for 7 euros per person

The room was rather small, good for one night, but for a longer stay with bigger luggage it wouldn't be too comfortable. The walls are rather thin, you can hear the neighbours talk.

Good location, within a walking distance to all the attractions, nice staff, the room was clean and the bed was comfy.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

Parking space is very limited. The bathroom was a little bit too tiny.

Unfortunately I forgot the name of the lovely Lady who is running the inn. But she is such a doll and very obliging!

While it is great the parking is free there are a few spots out front and we had to navigate moving the car in a very small space which was a little challenging, but not a huge deal (the owner moved it the first time for us).

Check in/out was easy and while the room was small it was ok for the 2 of us as we were only in town for a short while (it was very clean). The walk to main the area with the shops (we went to the English Market specifically) was only about 10 - 15 minutes and just straight down the road. Overall very delightful for the price point!

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

Helena was very friendly and the staff members were very accommodating. Glad we stayed here instead of a hotel. Location was walking distance to all the places we wanted to go in Cork, plus it was close to campus. I will definitely stay there again and recommend this to all my friends and family.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

The breakfast was skimpy; i expected a typical Irish Breakfast and it was in fact a continental breakfast.

Very well equipped and spacious room, with a great bathroom and located in the vicinity of the University College of Cork

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

Very tight parking if more than 2 cars (holds 4 cars max, with 3 being blocked in). Bathroom door would not lock or stay closed.

Room was nice, enough space for 2. Comfy bed. Extra blankets available. Good heating. Bathroom looks like it has been renovated recently. Free parking available on site.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

Heating was turned up too high the first night.

Conveniently located for visiting UCC, within easy walking distance of city centre. Staff were very friendly.