Reviews of Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa 5 stars

Lakes of Killarney, Killarney, Ireland

#8 of 41 hotels in Killarney

• Garden Superior Room

I could not fault the hotel. While I have read some comments saying the outside of the hotel looked a bit industrial lucky enough I was staying inside the hotel. The only thing I could fault was the inclusion of a smart TV, but I did not go there to watch TV all evening.

Upon arrival we checked in where we were then escorted to our room. I opted for the garden room which looked out across the mountain range behind the hotel. While there was some tall trees outside it did not take away from the breathtaking views. The room is one of the biggest I've stayed in. The level of comfort was fit for a king. The staff are very friendly and helpful. After we picked out jaws off the ground we went to the pool and later had dinner at the bar restaurant. The hotel is 5-10 minutes from Killarney town. I only regret not having enough time to go to the spa. Highly recommend, I shall return and go for the lake room next time and for an entire weekend.

A very pleasant stay. It was myself and my girlfriends anniversary and not only did they leave us some chocolates in the room but they also upgraded us to a King room and it was beautiful. The hotel itself is lovely with amazing views. The staff go above and beyond to assist you in any way possible. I will be recommending this hotel to all friends and family. If you are staying and having dinner there I would recommend you ask for a window seat. The views are not to be missed.

• Garden Superior Room

what can I say... the staff was amazing and the room was wonderful. The server in the evening meals was so nice the piano bar was terriffic and the staff made us feel special.. .great expereince

The restaurant at the property messed up our dinner order.... we were waiting over an hour for our mains and nobody apologized.

Loved our room we got a complimentary upgrade! Beautiful hotel.

The room was perfectly clean, spacious and cosy. We booked a King room and when we arrived we were upgraded to a superior room with garden view. The staff was excellent. We stayed two nights. We wish we could have stayed more. The breakfast was tasty, delicious, there were plenty of things. The pool is very pleasant, kept at a temperature of 28°c. The view from the pool over the lake is amazingly beautiful. I would also recommend anyone to get a treatment in their spa. We got a couple package, and we never felt so well treated before. Best spa ever! 5 STARS! Thank you for our lovely and memorable stay!

No complaints

Had the most AMAZING stay! Staff were really helpful and friendly! Couldn’t have asked for a nicer room! The views and facilities were top notch!

• Double or Twin Room with Lake View

The terrece bar was taken over by a party from when we got there till very late.we would have enjoyed a relaxing drink there in that bar instead of heading into town.

The first greeting that you are getting while entering the hotel it's smell of swimming pool sterilizer and this isn't nice. Swimming poll is located on a first floor and SPA center on a ground floor and they are not connected. If you are planning to have a nice swimming session with sauna warm ups in the middle - it's simply impossible. Changing rooms are very small! Poor design of swimming pool area (the pool is small as well). Also, its hard to understand how to get to the swimming pool area. The door is locked and not accessible with your room access card. But, finally, you can find a code written with tiny letters on the back of your access card holder. To get to the swimming pool from changing room you have to clime metal stairs covered with water. Believe me, its dangerous. Food in the restaurant was fresh but plain. Service was good.

The staff was very friendly and pleasant! They were trying very hard to be nice, gave us room upgrade and requested some Happy Anniversary plate to our room. Room was nice and spacious.

The only thing that comes to mind is so minor; awkward to reach toilet flushing handle:).

Quiet and peaceful; couldn’t beat the view of the lakes; so worth upgrading to a lake view. Tranquil, peaceful. Great food service for dinner and breakfast. Easy to park. With elevators. Comfortable bed. Spacious room (we splurged and upgraded our room). Highly recommend.

Very friendly and excellent staff. The hotel has beautiful artwork throughout which I enjoyed. Lovely stay, didn't get to use the facilities as it was a quick visit. Stunning scenery. Will return. Thanks.

• Garden Superior Room

Wish we could have stayed longer and done a spa treatement.

Large, relaxing room with amazing view of the lake and mountains. We enjoyed sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine. Dinner and breakfast were both excellent and the staff very helpful.

For a 5 starts Hotel i was expecting a better swimming pool (bigger and quieter). The breakfast was good but not great. So i tend to see this a very good 4 starts hotel, not 5 stars. I have been in better 4 stars hotels.

The Hotel is very nice. The rooms are beautiful and large (but i was upgraded, so do not know the size of the room i rented) the SPA is fantastic very quiet, and staff very nice.

It's a shame that some areas of service were not as good as in others. Having eaten lunch and enjoyed a drink afterwards we were left alone with no follow up. The breakfast service also seemed a tad chaotic on both mornings. The first morning we were shown to our table, given tea but then completely forgotten about. We had to get up and ask a member of staff to take our order some 15 minutes or so after sitting down. The second morning instead of being shown to our table we were just pointed to a table. Service again was not great. Spoons missing from tea cups and the tea arriving with no milk. We found this quite frustrating. You shouldn't have to hunt down staff in a five star hotel. Our room on the ground floor had a huge outside terrace but it was facing the back with trees blocking any view. It could have been made more appealing with some planters to soften the area.

We were staying at the hotel for two nights on our tour around Ireland. The location and views from the hotel facing the lake were absolutely stunning! We were offered a free upgrade to a suite room at the back of the hotel. The room interior was fantastic! Loved the spacious bathroom, the Bose music system and the overall comfort of the bedroom and lounge. Would definitely come back here again but would ideally like a room facing the lake! We ate in the casual dining room late afternoon and couldn't fault the food. It was delicious and reasonably priced too. We had asked at reception about the Celtic Steps show in town and were told that the Concierge would arrange our booking for us. Not only that, he came and found us and offered to drop us off at the venue that evening. Great show by the way!

I don't know if it was my relatively young age or my bank balance in comparison with other guests but I was not treated with the same respect. For dinner, I had been reading a menu in our room which had a delicious salad. However, I was not made aware that there were two options for dinner; you could eat in the lounge or the restaurant. When we arrived down stairs, a staff member brought us to a table but the menu wasn't the one I was looking forward to. So, I politely asked about the menu I had been reading in my room, with the salad. He was visably angry when I asked, so much so that he huffed and puffed loudly! In such a high spec hotel? I was so embarassed. Anyway, he gave us the other (less expensive) menu while mumbling "we don't usually do this you know" and another member of staff served us for the rest of the evening and he was nice but I was just so embarassed and upset with how the other staff member treated us that it completely ruined the entire stay for us. The TV in our room made so much noise (it was very old and tilting forward) and the signal kept going off which was so irritating. The bed was 2 little beds pushed together and I could feel the big space in the middle throughout the night. The view from our room was of rubbish bins. I was just utterly disappointed as I chose to stay here as a treat but I was treated as though this hotel was above my pay grade.

The view from the lounge/breakfast area is stunning and the breakfast was lovely. Pity about the service.

• Garden Superior Room

Bar food is ok but not up to standard of the overall hotel.

Fantastic hotel. Magnificent location and views. Hotel facilities were great great rooms and friendly staff.

• Garden Superior Room

Bed base was pretty torn (was sorry I looked!). The mattress was very comfortable though. The entrance to the hotel is very narrow.

Breathtaking views from all areas in the bar, lounge and restaurant. There were lovely seating areas with armchairs in the quiet corridors with huge windows overlooking the spectacular landscape. A great place to chill out. Our garden room with living area and terrace was very spacious and quiet. I really appreciated the coffee machine! All staff were very friendly, courteous, and helpful. Excellent breakfast and evening meal.

• Double or Twin Room with Lake View

Our first time at the hotel and it exceeded our expectations! The food in the Lake Restaurant was wonderful and Laura (our lovely waitress) made the meals extra special. Thank you Laura! xx

I taught the steamroom in spa could have been a small bit bigger

Beautiful and very clean hotel staff were very helpful and excellent at dinner service would stay here again

I was upgraded when I arrived to a lake view room which was lovely. When I went out to the balcony however there was no privacy from guests in adjoining rooms which was disappointing.

The rooms had been redecorated since I last stayed in the Aghadoe and they were beautiful. The bed was really comfortable and there was a fabulous deep bath in the bathroom. Extremely friendly staff.

• Garden Superior Room

no water, emergency called no food after 8pm after a long flight no tablecloths, a bit soulless in bar for new visitors

staff went out of their way to feed us EMMA and took notice of my request to not let the guest pay, (FRONT DESK)

The leisure centre wasn't to 5 star standard, it was very cool when we got into it so had to jump out almost immediately to warm up in the jacuzzi! The spa treatment was brilliant, but the thermal suite is lacking. Our room wasn't in a great part of the hotel either with our view being of the car park which was quite noisy. If we were to stay again, we'd definitely request a view at the front of the hotel to take in the gorgeous view.

The staff were lovely and the general atmosphere of the hotel was very pleasing! We got dinner in the bar one of the evenings and it was delicious, as was the wine we got with it. Great spa treatment too!

Don't change anything.

Everything about the Aghadoe Heights Hotel sends a message of first class. If the staff, restaurant facilities, spa, and beautiful rooms don't excite you, then you'll soon be won over by the views overlooking Lake Leane and the mountains entering Killarney National Park. Spectacular! After a long day visiting the Ring of Kerry or the Dingle Peninsula, you'll be happy to return to this wonderful hotel.

• Double or Twin Room with Lake View

Pool and hot tub was filled with small children so we decided no to use it. The pub area should stay open longer than 8pm that made the 2nd floor lounge very crowded and you could tell the staff was scrambling to help everyone.

Location was nice and away from tourist areas. Room very large and quiet. Staff friendly and helpful.

Poorly staffed, and demeanor of some staff could have been better. The Terrace bar was not staffed after 7.30pm, which we found very poor.

Views are spectacular, and food is delicious.

Robes in spa were old and worn. Would have expected a higher standard for 5 star.

The bed was extra comfy. Staff were very friendly. Short drive to Killarney and great hikes. Great atmosphere in the piano bar.

• Double or Twin Room with Lake View

Beautiful views from the bedroom window, the restaurants and the spa. Great location altogether- near Killarney and the many great walks of Killarney National Park.

Hotel is not up to standard of other five stars. Wouldn't rate it a five star at all in fact. Rooms were ok but tv's are ancient (had to physically get out of bed to change channel or volume ) and towels in bathroom need to be dumped, very discoloured and look so old!! Bed was uncomfortable to sleep in and the tap in the bathroom was also very poor, a bare trickle. Swimming pool area very basic for a five star hotel. Ladies changing room needs an uplift , as I was changing I noticed how shabby and shook it looked under the counter tops. Hotel needs an uplift to warrant five star title. Have stayed in nicer four star hotels. In my opinion, not worth the money.

Very good food in bar and stunning views.

We were very thankful for the complimentary room upgrade given it was a special occasion. The staff throughout are extremely friendly and make a conscious effort to simply say "hello" which is missed in many establishments. The view from the hotel is stunning. The restaurant is top class. Would highly recommend.

Apart from only being able to stay here for one night!Some sort of partition between balconies on the lake view rooms would be enhance the privacy.

Would definitely stay here again, a lovely short break in a gorgeous location, views to die for! Would recommend.

• Double or Twin Room with Lake View

The wine was somewhat overpriced.

My wife and I were celebrating our ruby wedding anniversary. We received a complimentary upgrade to a suite. The view from a lake view room is fabulous. There was a Nespresso machine, a fridge and a Bose sound system in the room. Staff in the bar were very friendly and helpful. Excellent WiFi available throughout the hotel. All in all a truly luxurious stay.

Unfortunately the heating in our room was faulty and a small portable heater was put into the room to keep the room warm but it didn't really due to the cold weather we have had, apart from that amazing!!

The Thermal Spa was just amazing.... very comfortable and relaxing and staff were so friendly!

• Garden Superior Room

From the pictures on the website we thought there was a swimming pool on the roof where you can also enjoy the view, we were disappointed to find out this was a hot-tub for penthouse, so not for general use. It wouldn't stop us coming back but is worth noting.

Wonderful staff, the service was warm throughout our stay and paid attention to all details to make you have a special stay. We had lunch in the lounge room and dinner in the Swan dining room, value for money was great in both - the dinner was far beyond our expectations and again showed how passionate the staff are. We had massages which were lovely and enjoyed all of the spa facilities, after the spa you have a lovely area to relax even further in a warm bed with tea, sorbet and music- wonderful experience. You will leave the hotel feeling refreshed - that is for sure!

The bar and restaurant menu needs and revamp. Rump should never appear on a " 5 star " hotel menu unless it's in a stew.

very friendly and helpful staff, nice views of the lake, relaxed feel to the hotel. very good breakfast.

Facilities are dreadful, pool dated and dirty. There is no infinity pool which you would be lead to believe from the images of it all over the place. Experienced 2 very rude staff. It’s a 4 star at best. If your looking for a 5star, The Europe is incomparable.

We got an upgraded room which was nice. Room was like an oven, we had to leave the door open to the terrace al night it was so warm. Lunch was nice.

The bed we got wasn’t a double it was two twins pushed together! A bit surprising for a 5 Star especially as I booked a double

The rooms were spacious the food in the lounge was really good. Staff were so friendly and attentive!

I didn’t like that the thermal suite was separate to the pool/jacuzzi.

The staff were truly fantastic. Each one greeted us with a smile and went above and beyond their duty to help us. I don’t eat meat and the choice on the breakfast menu didn’t offer much. I asked the waiter if I could pick some items from the menu. He was so nice and offered me more choices such and beans, spinach etc. It exceeded my expectations. Breakfast was delicious, made even better by the stunning scenery.

A bowl of fruit in the bedroom would have been nice, also a couple of small issues the remote did not work from the bed, one of the sinks was slightly blocked & the shaving mirror was not working properly.

The staff were very friendly and excellent The location was excellent & the space & decor was lovely.

• Double or Twin Room with Lake View

The gym was extremely basic. Too many cardiovascular machines and not enough free weights. I suggest getting rid of the rowing machine, which provided no resistance, and putting in a leg press machine. A barbell rack would be very useful. More dumbbells are definitely needed. There was only one 2kg, no 8kg or 10kg dumbbells, and very sporadic weights heavier than this.

Loved the feather duvet and pillows! The staff were wonderful and went above and beyond. The lake view was well worth the extra charge.

• Double or Twin Room with Lake View

Stayed with my wife. Room was spacious and very comfortable. Staff were really friendly, helpful and polite. Great location, food was very tasty. Would definitely come back

• Double or Twin Room with Lake View

A half hour after the meal our table wasn't still wasn't cleared and we were waiting to pay and to get a fresh round of drinks. I approached the bar to pay. There only seemed to be one member of staff on serving drinks and clearing tables. The night was a bit quieter customer wize so it was bit lacking of atmosphere. We ordered breakfast to the room and it was a half hour late, we got a phone call apologising that it was on the way. When we got it we had to ring reception for items missing.

Really fab room, very comfy and cosy, best pillows ever! The pool is lovely, jacuzzi was a bit on the hot side. Ate in the bar and the food and service throughout the meal was good.

$12 euro taxi ride into town (one way). Hotel could look at using its transport, which it had to provide trips into town

Breakfast excellent. Catered for Coeliacs very well. Got upgraded on arrival which was a lovely treat. Extremely scenic spot to stay in and great facilities. Staff could not do enough for you

The swimming pool was smaller than website photos & the gym directly looked onto it.

Very friendly staff. Gorgeous food. Pianist playing in the restaurant during dinner was beautiful. Our veranda overlooked the picturesque lakes and landscape.

It took us over twenty minutes to get a drink at the bar. I ordered a vegetarian omelette for breakfast but unfortunately came out with ham only. As a consequence my partner had finished breakfast and had to wait for me..

I liked the quality of food, the room was immaculate and the sencery from the hotel.

The room was small and too near a bin area

The spa was nice the treatment I had was very good The food was lovely and the staff in the bar and restaurant were very friendly and professional

• Double or Twin Room with Lake View

The drinks were expensive in the bar.

Evening meal was delicious and we were very very full. Rooms were spacious and incredible views. We had a lake view double room which included a balcony area. Short drive to town centre. Great facilities. Nice little touches such as hairspray, mouthwash, cotton buds etc provided in the restaurant bathroom. Also provided fresh cucumber and mint water in the foyer. Plenty of parking.

I would have liked a room at the front as the view is so amazing but our room at the back was Hugh .

The staff were so helpful & friendly , the view is amazing , fantastic selection at breakfast , perfect fir a chilled & relaxing stay .

Our dining experience left our stay down slightly. While the food was lovely, my partners main course was a bit on the bland side. Also, when we were finished our meal, we requested if we could move to the bar area, and the waitress said she would find a seat for us. We were left sitting at our table for 35 minutes without so much as an offer of a top up of a coffee, or to give us our bill. It was only when we asked a second time about moving to the bar that we were looked after. This was a Sunday night so they were far from busy. It just left a slightly sour taste in our mouths, in what apart from that was a lovely trip. It was just a pity that we were "forgotten" about!

The reception staff were lovely, hotel was spotless, rooms were very comfortable with some nice extra touches. It was lovely for a treat and very luxurious. Views from the hotel are breathtaking! Pool area is also fantastic

The bed was a bit too soft-but am speaking as a person with a sensitive back.

The staff were fantastic- They even upgraded us to a suite when they heard we were celebrating a birthday...👏👏👏 The furniture and choice of decor was luxurious and timeless. The shower in the bathroom was devine and the bath towels were soft, fluffy and huge! Superb choice of food available in the bar...one of the few places that make a great effort with their vegetarin choices. Bravo!!

Food was not great breakfast was cold and the lunch was small and over priced. Waited for a drink for 20 mins still no bar man showed up so we went back to our room.

Amazing views nice staff

I dropped my dressing gown into a half full "his" sink in the bathroom. I blamed "her" for it but it was actually my fault so it really put a dampener on the stay

The "his and hers" sinks were a real touch of class. I just wish I had a "her" that could appreciate it like I did.

Coffee at breakfast, no fresh OJ. Other than that it was was perfect 10/10.

Everything, stayed one night only but the the hotel upgraded us to the front modieriesed rooms on the third (3rd) Floor with the view of lakes.. food, facilities were perfect for us both.

No outlets in bathroom for hair dryer and straightener.

The turn down service was a treat with chocolate left on your pillows. The bed was like a cloud and the view from our room was beautiful. The staff was very accommodating and pleasant!

• Garden Superior Room

Loved every bit of my stay. From the very beginning to the end the staff were amazing. The spa and pool facilities were great and the views were amazing. The room was very spacious, clean and modern. Couldn’t recommended this hotel any more. I cannot wait to return.

Food was littil bit salted for me and can be a littil bit more option for restaurant menu.

Staff was amazing very friendly all atmospheres was so nice,so comfortable bed nice big room I hope I will be back in this hotel again

May be the Towels a bit grey a pity because everything else perfect but were very clean just tired looking.

Everything we were upgraded without asking lovely room

Just a minor point spa may be marginally expensive

Evening meal was excellent, breakfast excellent - piano player was a joy! Really liked the dining experience - staff very nice and interested. Good ambience in the bar and nice - good feel in the place.

The air conditioning in our bed room was very noisy. Our bed room was very dark looking out a back wall near kitchen. The food was very disappointing.

The staff were very friendly.

Having to leave it.

Just loved everything about this hotel it was like a big confortable home and the staff could not have been nicer. Customer service was 10 out of 10.

• Double or Twin Room with Lake View

The views from the hotel and room were amazing, the staff were lovely and great at giving advise on things to do and places to go. The building was fab and easy to get around.

• Garden Superior Room

Dark when we arrived, hotel lacked adequate lighting outside/entrance. Didn’t like that the lounge and restaurant were on level 2. Bar area quite small/restricted

Bedroom and breakfast fantastic

Room was a little too hot, had the air con on, windows open, but still we see too hot! Other wise, can't fault a thing

Lovely stay, my first time in a 5 star and thoroughly enjoyed it. We got upgraded to a superior room in arrival. The room was fab, staff were lovely, definitely well return!

• Garden Superior Room

It was blissfully relaxing. Staff were great. As was off season it was quiet which we like so it was great to be able to carry your chill from the Spa throughout the hotel. The food was excellent. We also loved the pillows. 😂

Service in restaurant was really poor. Not very attentive. The chairs were dirty. Small thing that can be fixed easily but demonstrates lack of attention to detail. No towels in the changing rooms for pool. Shame as you could tell an overall effort was made.

Room was amazing. Staff were really friendly

N/a

The feeling of luxury, the personal touches, sweet on pillow at night, room prepared for the evening even though it had been given the room service treatment in the morning, . All in all thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

I loved the extra touches, the smartphone was an excellent idea, although we didn't use it but it would be an excellent facility for guests coming from abroad. The view from the hotel was stunning. Best breakfast I've had in a hotel. The bar was so relaxing in the evening and the room was perfect! Will definitely be back

We loved everything about the hotel! The staff were most professional and you were always greeted with a smile. The hotel itself is spotlessly clean. The view is stunning. We were surprised with an upgrade upon arrival which was such a treat - the room was huge and the bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever stayed in! It was quiet too, perfect for lazy lie ins! Breakfast was superb. There is complimentary access to the thermal spa which was an added bonus. We couldn't fault it.

I have stayed here before and I had requested a lake view room, they assured me that was fine. ON arrival they said they did not have the lake view room and the receptionist stated I should have booked well in advance, which I had in fact two months in advance. They showed us to room 404 which overlooked the Kitchen and carpark and also the bins. It was a huge disappointment. During the night I was unable to sleep as the noise coming from the heating system was next to our room. I also dropped an earring near the TV and on bending to retreive same noticed toenail cuttings in the carpet that had not been cleaned, disgusting. I did bring this to their attention on checking out but received no satisfactory answers, I will not be returning .

The location is beautiful, I have stayed here before but the weather was quite frosty this weekend and the view was amazing, there was snow on the mountains and it looked like the alps. The breakfast was very good and the spa as always was fantanstic.

The spa was a disgrace for a 5 star hotel very little treatments available we were told they were fully booked and they were really busy but yet there seemed to be no one on the spa. The thermal suite was not great and the swimming pool and jacuzzi could not be entered through the spa, you had to leave the spa and walk down a corridor to get to the pool. While I had a body wrap done it was not worth the money I paid. The staff in the spa were extremely nice and friendly

Everything about the place was great out room was upgraded without even asking. There was a turn down service every evening which I found was a lovely touch. Breakfast was amazing the hot food was cooked to perfection. Everyone was so friendly could not do enough

The leisure centre & spa are separate & it’s unclear if you can use the facilities if not using spa. The bar area is very bright, no atmosphere.

The view was amazing

Kids menu didn't have toddler options i.e pasta was €10.50 for big portion,good value for big kids but too pricey for a fussy toddler.

Attentive staff definitely gave 5 star service! Breakfast was amazing!

• Double or Twin Room with Lake View

Restaurant menu was a bit too posh for us were a young couple and didn’t understand the menu

The pool and lake view room the fridge in the room And coffee machine were superb to have

• Double or Twin Room with Lake View

Service was brilliant from the moment we walked in. Room and views were out of this world. Thermal suite was one of the highlights of the trip. Also ate in the restaurants and it was one of the nicest meal I've ever had. Will definitely return!!

Could be more options on the Lounge menu,tables booked but didn't seem to be when we arrived for dinner.Sore backs from leaning over the table to eat.Staff were lovely and very helpful.Little disappointments but nothing big but disappointing all the same-no dressing gown or slippers in the room on arrival,TV not great reception.

Breakfast was beautiful.Staff very welcoming and friendly.Afternoon tea was gorgeous as was dinner both evenings.

I have said is all.

ONLY AT BEST A THREE STAR. ARGUMENTATIVE STAFF NEED PROPER HOTEL TRAINING EVENING DINNER WAS COLD WHITE WINE WAS WARM BREAKFAST WAS VERY COLD TOAST & KETCHUP ARRIVED AFTER WE ASKED THE SECOND TIME (10 MINUTES LATER) ROOM WAS OVER THE WORK AREA AT THE BACK WHERE THERE ARE BINS AND FANS ALL OVER THAT SECTION. WE DIDNT GET A PROPER SLEEP. I have read recent poor reviews on Trip Advisor and we agree with them. We were only sorry we didn't book The Europe or the Killarney Park where we have stayed many times and had wonderful experiences of 5 star hospitality. I stay in many hotels on business all over the world. This was our first and last time staying in The Aghadoe Heights Hotel. A word of advice to the new owners. Stay in The Europe Hotel for a weekend, because its oceans ahead of The Aghadoe Heights. The Europe is one of the best Hotels in the World.

TV difficult to use remote may have been at fault Otherwise no dislikes would definety teturn

Service and fantastic food at a busy seasonal time of year