Reviews of Ardagh House 3 stars

1 Highfield Road, D6 Rathgar, Ireland

#5 of 9 hotels in Rathgar

The rooms are extremely pleasant. The hosts are very nice and accessible and have tried their best to make us feel confortable. The breakfast offers are delicious, and the hosts made sure everything was at our liking.

Clean and quiet. Across the street from bus stop. The owners are wonderful! When our taxi was not showing up, the owner drove us to a taxi stand down the road! The breakfast is served by both the owners and they interact with each and every guest. Would absolutely recommend this place to friends and family.

As expected no wifi in room, but worked well in lounge.

Nice room, comfortable beds. Small bathroom but clean and goodworking. Great freshly cooked breakfast. Nice and quiet neighbourhood close to busstop to citycentre.

Made very welcome by the owners. Great breakfast. Comfy bed and clean room. Easy access to the local bus stops. Good parking. Great place to stay slightly out of town but with good access to Dublin and beyond either by car or local buses.

Unkempt front parking lot . Dull tired drab . Unappetising breakfast . Small worn out bathroom towels . 70's look and feel about everything except the price .

It's location near to my event . Owners were friendly. Kitchen staff good . Ease of payment .

It is difficult to navigate Dublin for first timers. No bus schedule or map with bus numbers are available. Travel was frustrating.

Mary and Willie were very friendly, extremely accommodating. Willie made every effort to get a taxi quickly or reserve one. The food was fabulous, conversation enjoyable, this was a great decision considering it was our first time to Ireland.

The tv was a tiny little box set with 6stations only. Ridiculous price for the room we stayed in.

The area was a good spot as there was a lot around us.

Breakfast could be better. Thin walls.

It is a very nice, clean and comfortable place to stay. Staff is very helpful. Easy access to city centre. Comfortable bed. Tea, coffee and kettle in the room. I would definitely recommend or stay again.

Great hospitality & even at breakfast I asked for white pudding Mary said they didn’t do it no more, she said she would get me some the next day.breakfast was great.

Heating of bedroom could have been better

This hotel is like home from home, very very comfortable, lovely sitting room, and the breakfast menu, would beat any 6 star hotel.

We had some problems with the room's temperature at the arrival moment. The owner has gently offered another room, and free breakfast for the period in the hotel. Very gentle and professional!

When I went online it said the price was €99 but I was charged €119. When I queried the price I was told it was because we had breakfast. I would have thought breakfast was standard. Any hotel I’ve stayed in breakfast is included in the price. When we got our breakfast it had obviously been left under a heater as it was very hot but hard and the fried eggs were solid. The lady said oh I’m sorry I got caught up talking.

The bed was extremely small so we found it difficult to get to sleep. Bed is more suited as a single bed.

If I pay more than €100 per night, I want a decent room and a good shower, and that is the problem. After the first night I complained, the shower was only dripping. There came a lady, looked, and told me yes, this an old house! BUT NOT WITH OLD PRICES. I told them once more that this was not acceptable, especially because our friends on the same floor hadn't any problem. Please don't rent this room out anymore, it is a big shame.

Breakfast super

a lovely family run hotel..Very clean and tidy with free wifi.. Lovely welcome from Mary when we arrived. Lovely staff all very Friendly and very helpful .. very informative i.e places to go and see.. would 100% recommend this hotel. Thank you Mary and Willy for a very warm welcome from Ian Hunt & Lindsay Lee

Room television was a bit small.

Small, unpretentious hotel clean and tidy, staff very friendly; excellent full Irish breakfast. Free wifi easy to use. Easy to get into Dublin city centre on bus 140.

I can't think of anything as it really is such a lovely B&B in the heart of Dublin.

The hosts were so welcoming, warm and helpful. It felt like I'd found a real B&B for the first time in Dublin. The house is really well kept and very warm and comfortable. I was leaving very early in the morning and they were so concerned that I get something to eat. I was able to pick up 2 pieces of fruit and an organic yoghurt for my breakfast on the move. The B&B was quiet and I felt really well rested as a result. I will definitely be staying again.

wasn't really a problem ,wifi reception not the best.

Very friendly and helpful,we turned up and had no money to pay the taxi driver,we were able to borrow the fare from our host,we paid them back shortly afterwards.room shower was great we just followed the instruction and sweet.very helpful with buses ,places to eat local ,which was great.would stay again .only little problem was wifi ,had to go down hall to receive it.nice place.

• Quadruple Room

The single and only issue we found was the tea service in the bedroom - it was not clean and a variety of teas/coffee's and better quality ones would go a long way. It's only a little thing but it does make a big difference when travelling.

Staff were helpful and friendly, very attentive at breakfast, would recommend Ardagh House to others considering booking.

I struggled to get the WiFi.

Owner and staff very nice and welcoming. Comfortable and very well kept guesthouse. My room was very nice and clean, with a great big comfortable bed and range of pillows. If you are a business traveller you may want to ask for a room with a desk or useful table in it. En-suite was small but perfectly functional. Location very good for city and south city. Free on-site parking. Short stroll to restaurants, small shops and pubs. Nice safe area of city.

Nothing, it was perfect for what we wanted from this break.

The lovely traditional hospitality, hearty breakfast and surroundings provided by our delightful hosts Mary and Willie. I travelled with my adult son, father and partner and it was the ideal place to suit us all with easy bus access to the city or a short stroll to the charming 'village' of Rathgar.

Nothing not to like.

The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The guest house was spotlessly clean. We were given advice as to where to eat and drink, nothing was too much trouble. We'll definately be visiting again.

There was no Wifi in our room, which meant sitting in the passage downstairs, or in the guest lounge; worked OK from there. No lift.

A comfortable hotel, in a quieter suburb of Dublin. Well presented, with fresh flowers in the hallways. Access to city was good, with a bus stop very close by, and the smooth, new, light rail, not too far away by foot. Breakfast was quite good.

• Quadruple Room

The welcome from Mary was warm and genuine, nothing too much bother throughout our stay; real old school hospitality; the stay was genuine and we didn't feel processed at all.

We really had no complaints. It was a little out of town, but the busses were very close and took us right down to city center. We did not want to drive in Dublin.

Mary, the inn keeper was a delight. She helped us with suggestions for all our needs and called a taxi for us and made sure it was big enough to carry 5 people. Her breakfast pancakes were our favorite, but the whole breakfast was delicious. Thank you, Mary, for all the extras!

Room size was extremely small, uncomfortable.old worn out fixtures and fittings.noise from hallway and surrounding rooms heard clearly making it hard to relax.Breakfast mediocre. Split level room.stairs to bathroom....old dated bathroom low water pressure and trying to get hot water in the first place was a chore.No shelving for makeup/ accessories.tea coffee nd kettle took up window.very disappointing overall.

Location and parking facilities.

The breakfast was excellent with friendly personal attention by the host. The bus stop is very close and the timetable was available in Ardagh house..

Wifi is hard to get in the upstairs rooms. Shower has an awful habit of stopping and starting

A lovely Victorian house with a very elegant sitting room looking out onto a beautiful garden. Away from noise and bustle of inner Dublin but with nearby bus you can reach the sights of Dublin in 15 minutes.

I was a bit disappointed as I was less satisfied than for my previous stay last year. I struggled a lot to regulate the water temperature in the shower, the toilet needed to fill up water forever after flushing and I could hear all noise from the adjacent room. Also found some hair in my bed. As I paid more for a better room, I expected to have an upgraded comfort compared to last year but it was not the case. Not sure if this was the room itself, maybe other roomes were good, yet I am a bit disappointed.

Nice location as I needed to be close to the Rathmines area, nice transports. Good service and great breakfast as always.

The wifi signal in the room was very weak and not even very strong in the common areas so this made it difficult to get work done. The room was chilly (even though it was August), but there were extra blankets available. There were two faucets in the bathroom sink, one for hot and one for cold. So it was difficult to wash one's face without getting either burned or frozen.

Extremely friendly and warm service from the staff and delicious breakfast. The area is residential bus easy public transport connection to the center of the city and a short walk to a hip neighborhood.

The owners, May and Willie, are great people. Their hotel is located is a rich neighborhood. It's a quiet and safe area. 10 minutes from the downtown.

You need a bus to go downtown or 30-45 min walking. I found buses in Dublin expensive and not very punctual.

The kindness old style of the managers. Beautiful garden. Very good and rich breakfast both Irish and continental

Nothing really disappointing at this property.

Very good accommodations and easy access to the downtown area and attractions. We had 3 rooms and six people and the rooms were very well appointed and typical of B&Bs that we have stayed in in Ireland. All rooms were en-suite, although bathrooms were slightly limited on space. Breakfast was excellent and served promptly upon arrival in the dining room and the staff were extremely attentive, despite a full house. We would definitely stay here again if headed to Dublin. Nice sitting area for some family time and discussion, beautiful flowers and large backyard. Property is well maintained.

Thought we were going into a nursing home. Our room and bathroom were not good enough and small for two adults. Not enough room to get around the bed to the bathroom. Very poor value for money.

Minimal items for tea and coffee,thus limiting opportunity to have a "cuppa"

Friendly helpful staff. Very comfortable and clean accommodation. Excellent breakfast. Good selection of food. Swift service.

Well maintained Victorian house with large garden, close to transport & eateries, set in leafy neighbourhood, comfortable bed, very helpful staff and a variety of breakfast choices. Overall, really well run guest house with professional and friendly service, which made our stay most enjoyable.

Rooms were not that comfortable as what you would expect for the price. Two separate beds (not placed and could not be placed alongside each other). Bathroom very small and no mirror for shaving. But in general: prices in Dublin ar much too high for what you get.

Very friendly staff and breakfast was OK. Traditional atmosphere in an quiet part of Dublin. Easy to reach with public transport. Taxi from center to hotel in the middle of the night only € 15 (5 KM)

Nothing really.

Very lovely stay. Very personal. The landlady was very warm and welcoming. The breakfast was wonderful, homemade, and plenty. I loved my stay. Good place to go to if you like historic houses and something more personal than a large, anonymous hotel chain.

It is slightly dated

Beautiful parks in the surrounding area. Restaurants and shops close by. It is a really safe and beautiful area for a lovely evening walk

It was costly, but in terms of location and due to the fact that a festival was on it was still one of the best priced for the location on that date.

The hosts were the best part. They were so accomodating and friendly. The room was old fashioned but cosy and very clean. I would definitely book there again.

There was nothing adverse, though perhaps some simple directions for public transport would have been helpful. There is an enquiry desk at the airport and they were helpful ,l but I could have taken a different bus which would have taken me almost to the accommodation front door.

I enjoyed staying out of the city but with very easy access. There were varied and good places to eat in evening without going back into Dublin - though this was easy using public transport if you wanted to. My room was comfortable, the breakfast good and staff were especially helpful and pleasant and gave me some useful tips which made my stay more pleasurable. I would return and recommend without hesitation.

• Quadruple Room

Not big choice for continental breakfast . Hot breakfast ok , was in july but room was cold special in the morning...

Space room , nice and clean bathroom , all in all- just for sleep was good.

Not much to do in the area, a couple of small pubs within 10 minutes walking distance. Depending on taxi to get anywhere

Friendly staff, quiet location and good breakfast service.

A bit dated when compared to some of the modern hotels but was grand otherwise.

I had a single room which is hard to get and it was good value. Breakfast was also good. The hosts made me feel most welcome.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

Our room was at the top of the stairs, this was noisy and as a result I found it difficult to sleep.

The breakfast was fantastic and the staff were so friendly and helpful.

The hotel is solid and well-constructed. It's an older house that has been enlarged, and everything is well-sized, not cramped like so many other places are. Wi-fi was available, although could be a bit spotty, although Bill, the joint boss, was very helpful in trying to get it working properly. Bill and Mary were very helpful, always available, and run a nice B&B. Once we'd come home, we found that a number of our friends also knew Ardagh House, and shared our high opinions.

Nothing comes to mind.

Excellent welcome, lovely room and view at back of property overlooking large garden with hills in the distant. Excellent choices for breakfast with good portions. Suited us down to the ground! Very handy for bus into Dublin centre but we walked back from the River Liffey, cafes available on the way!!

The wifi didn't work at all in the bedrooms (I was using a Mac and and iPhone). But it did work well in the common area.

The owners were so kind and helpful. They truly care about their guests' experience. Ardagh House was quiet and calm, a peaceful environment to come back to after a long day. The house is located not far from Rathmines, which has lots of restaurants, cafes, coffee shops and stores. Within a 10 minute walk you can reach a Tesco Express and an organic/all natural grocery store. The nearest Luas stations are Cowper or Milltown, both within 15 minutes. The neighbourhood is residential, so it's very quiet.

Nothing. Can't fault anything at all excellent stay with Mary and her husband.

Breakfast was lovely and so much choice on menu , efficient staff and Mary and her husband looked after us and made us feel at home!☺ beautiful room and lovely garden view. Comfortable bed and slept well. Also a bus and tram service near b&b.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

The wifi is decidedly iffy. In general though, it felt a bit like going to stay with an elderly aunt. Everything was good quality once, but it all looks a bit tired now. Furniture is scratched and dated (without being antique) and there were lot of little things: the silver was coming off the mirror in the bathroom, the skylight in the bathroom had a strange brown deposit on it and I can't remember the last time I stayed somewhere where the bed was made up with blankets, not a duvet. Some may like that, though!

The house is elegant, the owner was friendly and off street parking was appreciated.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Bed needs a change of mattress. Shower only adequate. Wouldn't hurt to put biscuits in the room with the tea making facilities

Helpfulness of owner. Ability to gather with friends/family in lounge and beautiful garden. On a bus route to town centre.

The thermostats were a little unreliable.

Marvellous hosting--from booking taxis for our day trips, to fixing our luggage strap to leaving little carry packs because we didn't have opportunities for breakfast everyday....bless you Mary !

• Double Room with Single Bed

The traffic in central Dublin is awful!

This was a real find. Central Dublin is a forty five minute walk but a bus stops virtually next door anyway. Don't be put off by the residential area description, ten minutes down the road is the best bar in Dublin and shops and facilities. Full breakfast was excellent, the proprietors very friendly and helpful, and the bedrooms and facilities comfortable and what was required. For the price this place is perfect for a weekend in Dublin. Highly recommend.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

A bit too warm in the room - had to get the heating turned down ( hardly a criticism, though )

Very comfortable room, plenty of hot water, breakfast was excellent and consistent quality, staff very friendly and helpful

Room was in the attic which if unfit would have been a bit of a hassle.

Friendly welcome. Well located. Had a home from home feel. Many of the guests encountered were returning guests which was lovely. Very clean and comfortable space. Nice quiet area.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

Great guest house, close to shops, restaurants & public transport. Being able to park your car free on site is a bonus. Friendly staff, and lovely cooked breakfast. Also a short bus ride to city centre. Would definitely recommend it.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

I had to leave very early in the morning for a hospital appointment., They were happy to make this easy for me. If anyone has an appointment at St Lukes Hospital, this is a perfect venue as it is no more than 5 minutes walk.

You need to take a bus for 20 minutes to go to the center.

It is clean, located in a quiet street, nice rooms, good breakfast, nice staff and very helpful.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

• Double Room with Single Bed

The only niggle was I was with 2 big tea drinkers so 'provisions' would have been nice in the room. I'm sure had we asked we would have got some but after arriving at 10.30pm we didn't want to make a fuss. We'd happily come back.

The location was great for us, the room was a good size even with 3 single beds in it. The hotel was clean and tidy. Staff were friendly & helped with taxi bookings. In the evening it was quiet & beds comfy so a good night's sleep was had. If you want a bar for late nights etc then this isn't the place for you (but it was good for us). Beautiful gardens in a lovely quiet area.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

Staff were unfriendy ! It too expensive for a low level rooms ! I wanted to stay more nights and I felt I was staying for free ; they were un welcoming .. I would not recommand it for anyone

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

The Wifi at times and in some parts of the house was a challenge. But with Willie's friendly help it finally always worked, even in my room (11).

A warm welcome, nice and clean room, good mattress, well working shower and hearty, freshly prepared breakfasts every morning made my stay very enjoyable! The proprietors Willie and Mary were very helpful with all kinds of information and tips!

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

TV could do with an upgrade.

Very friendly & helpful staff, comfy bed, very clean. Relaxed atmosphere, good WiFi, this Victorian residence is a gem in a residential area. Free parking, lovely gardens

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

It was a little bit too cold in my room even if the heating was on

They had a great breakfast menu and very delicious! The bed was also very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

The ensuite was very small in size, the wash handbasin was also very small. The room was suitable for short stay only, particular needs would need to be checked out when booking.

Ardagh House is a beautiful old home with all the facilities of a modern house. Bed was very comfortable and lovely warm room when we returned after our family gathering.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

We didn't like the fact that breakfast finished at 9.30 and we had to check out at 11.00. However we would return.

We liked the location. It was very convenient to where we wanted to go and there was ample parking for guests. The bed was comfortable and the room a good size. Breakfast was good. Everyone was very friendly.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Quadruple Room

Very comfy room. The kids just loved staying there the high ceilings,the comfy beds etc. They want to go back there. Would recommend it. So close to everywhere we wanted to go.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

TV could have been bigger, more up to date. Also would have been nice to have bottled water in the room. Tea bags could have been better quality, and in a small tin with lid, but these are small niggles, and cannot detract from what was good

Quiet and peaceful location, but very handy for transport into the city. Beds very comfy and clean, breakfast excellent. The staff made the stay extra enjoyable, especially Clodagh who was a joy, excellent professionalism, but she never made you feel hurried and always had time for a chat. Mary and Willie have a gem of a place.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

This is second time we stayed at the Ardagh House and we won't doubt to do it again next time we visit Dublin. Excellent location and attentive service. Thanks Mary

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

Wi-fi not good in the room; but excellent in the lobby

Yummy breakfast Willie and Mary were very kind and good Willie is humorous All other staffs like Cloudough (I don't know if I have spelled her name right) and Caroline were also too good and helpful Beautiful and calm location; easy access to public transport; restaurants nearby

• Reviewed: 29 November 2016

The room was a bit cold, although the heating was working, but not a big issue.

Great location in quiet residential area with good connection to city center and close to shops and restaurants, homey atmosphere, friendly staff, good breakfast, daily service, good wifi. My single room located on the last floor was small, but equipped with all I needed and the bed was large and comfortable. And I should not forget Mary and Will, the really nice owners (Mary, Thanks again for arranging the early Sunday breakfast for me.)

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

The poor wifi would not have been a problem at a more central location, but it was very frustrating at this rather out of the way location. Trying to figure out transportation, where to eat, how to get around,etc. would have even so much easier with a reliable internet connection.

Lovely couple who own the place and serve a delicious made-to-order breakfast.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

couldn't Fault Ardagh House

The owners were very hospitable and friendly, the service that they provided was excellent, it is a lovely relaxed place to stay

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

nothing, it was very good

Spotlessly clean, comfortable bed, good choice at breakfast, including full cooked. . Mary and Willy were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them. if you book this place you will not be disappointed. highly recommend.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

The shower lacked water pressure and sometimes heat in the morning "rush hour", at other times it was fine. This is not a problem of Ardagh House though, I experienced this in many places in Ireland & GB.

Friendly, helpful staff, excellent breakfast. The location is quiet but close to the bus station (app. 15-20 min to the city centre). The bed was very comfortable, rooms sufficient for a week's stay. Ardagh House itself has a nice atmosphere and feels never crowded.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Lovely & well kept, traditional B&B. Very good breakfast, helpful hosts. Rathgar is a bit far out, but it's a very beautiful part of Dublin and the are very nice shops & Pubs near the B&B. It's a ten minute walk from the B&B to the next Luas stop; from there you travel ten minutes to St. Stephens Green.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

Small fridge would have been useful.

Breakfast was very good, freshly cooked, Mary was very pleasant and helpful. Nice big room. The lounge was comfortable with a lovely view on to the neat and well kept garden. Plenty of on-site parking.