Reviews of Ashford Court Boutique Hotel 3 stars

1 Old Mill Road (Considine's Terrace), Ennis, Ireland

#13 of 21 hotels in Ennis

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Excellent stay.

Nothing could have been better!

We were so impressed. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Older hotel but room and facility immaculate and a wonderful breakfast. A great price too!

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Staff and rooms exceeded my expectation.

Staff sometimes busy in other areas. eg covering bar and reception. While this was acceptable enough in what was a small area, the bar /communal area left a bit to be desired.

Staff and rooms exceeded my expectation.

Would not book this hotel again , Staff were excellent but by no means is it a boutique hotel

The rooms were very small. There was a smell of people smoking coming in our room . There is no proper bar Night porter had no english at all . No hotel staff working after 10pm .

Check in staff were very friendly , We wanted an early breakfast and that was not a problem and was very good .

Great pitstop with friendly staff!

The room smelt like someone had been smoking in it.

The staff could not have been more friendly and welcoming! They made our stay and we will alway remember Ennis because of Tony and John!

Staff friendly and helpful.

Fine for an overnight stay for business. Not very sumptuous, but adequate & clean.

Staff friendly and helpful. Close to town centre (10 min walk).

Highly disappointing for such a high price of €120. I would have paid €50 for what we got.

The hotel is very dated. The decor in the room hasn't been refreshed for a long time. There are holes in the wall in the bathroom where the door has banged into the wall, the sink unit is so old and huge it takes up most of the bathroom, the shower is badly fitted. There was a huge cupboard with just and ironing board in it. The space could have been used for something more useful....like being able to walk around the room. I know it's a boutique hotel but the room is small and pokey. The furniture is dated, brown and does not fit the room. It is not a room to relax in.

The location. Had an iron and ironing board in the room.

The breakfast never started till eight so it was to late I...

The breakfast never started till eight so it was to late I started work at eight, the tv did not work on the last night and had to be fixed on the Wednesday night

Very disappointing

Poor facilities, our room smelled of smoke, toilet lid slams down when you flush toilet, food not nice, the toaster took for ever to work. We were given 2 fried eggs on a plate, we thought that was all we were getting. it was only after about ten minutes we realised there was more food in a buffet in the corner ( no one told us ! ) by this time the toaster had finally toasted our bread but the eggs were now cold. We decided to just have tea and toast but to our shock the tea tasted of soap so we just left the breakfast uneaten and skipped the next days one. This is a budget hotel and you get what you pay for. I would not stay here again and will be happy next time to pay a bit extra for a nicer experience. We did not make a complaint as we are not the type to cause a scene or a rumpus and would prefer to vote with our feet. I am sure many people have stayed here and had a better experience but unfortunately ours was not great.

Leaving

The staff were all lovely.

Old. Run down. Damp. Smelled of smoke. Very odd atmosphere.

The staff were all lovely. The breakfast was good. For what we paid we got a reasonable deal. If you are getting charged a lot like previous reviews then it’s not worth it.

Very ordinary.

The service lacked professionalism and quality and ‘hotel’ Anne ties such as bar, atmosphere etc wAs lacking. This is more like a B and B.

Breakfast was lovely

The receptionist on arrival was very friendly and helpful

It was very overpriced for the standard. It was the most we paid in Ireland and the least impressive. The bathroom was very old and mouldy as were the surrounds. The bedroom smelt musty. It was a pretty basic hotel

The receptionist on arrival was very friendly and helpful

We recieved a very warm welcome from the front of house...

The place is dated and needs a revamp. The housekeepers were in a huge hurry to get us out of our room after the second time they knocked which was well within check out time we felt we had to leave.

We recieved a very warm welcome from the front of house staff and manager. The location is within minutes walk to Ennis town centre.

It was a cheap stay breakfast was great.

Travelling alone it was not what I expected. Check in was abrupt. No info in the room about the town or entertainment etc. I was on 2nd floor it stank of smoking constantly. When i advised staff they were unconcerned. There seemed to have a regular clientele staying and this appeared to be the situation. The room I stayed in was clean enough however no iron, hairdryer or ironing board. Cleaning staff had to take from another room. I did not feel safe here.

It was a cheap stay breakfast was great. This was budget accommodation. Clise to the town within walking distance.

The breakfast!

No food in the hotel. Just breakfast! Shouldn't be called a hotel, maybe a motel or a b&b at best. No car park either. Had to park in a loading bay as was told to. Felt very uncomfortable about this.

The breakfast! To be fair the lady in reception gave us a map of Ennis to show us where to get food. So that was a good point.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Disappointed 1st time customers

Bed was to firm for our liking, at check in we where asked what time we wanted breakfast and we told them 8am so we went down at 7.55am and everything was still locked and nothing set up and nobody around, we waited till 8.15am and still nobody around or any breakfast to be seen so we left as we could not wait any longer, this was very disappointing.

Location was good, just a short walk into town center, the young lady at check inn was very helpful, room was vey basic and shower was just okay, well over priced for what you get.

Poor Parking Facilities and Major Electrical Issues

A lot of trouble with electrics. Light in bathroom flickering so had to change room. Then tv wouldn't work so had to be changed, second tv stopped working too, then after my mum attempted to turn on the kettle, all plug sockets stopped working meaning we couldn't charge our phones and this stayed that way overnight and on plug sockets along corridor too. Lack of parking a major downside. Perhaps this is because a lot of guests were people who lived in the hotel? A vending machine would have been handy and I feel for the price we paid for this no frills hotel bottled water would not have gone amiss. Room quite small.

Very friendly staff. Laid back atmosphere. Handy location for Ennis town.

Great location and very secure and relaxing

nothing everything was perfect

The staff were very friendly and very helpful , the location of this hotel is great just a short stroll to city centre and the hotel itself is very nice rooms are so comfortable

Close to town

The join in the centre of the double bed was uncomfortable. There was no phone in the room. Tv to small, Irish channels only.

The staff were very helpful, breakfast was very good, hairdryer was excellent. Closeness to town.

The accommodation was very good value.

there was nothing to dislike.

The breakfast was very good and a nice choice of items. We were also invited by management/owner to an Italian buffet dinner one evening. This was a lovely treat.

I just loved the free mold and mildew on the shower grout...

I just loved the free mold and mildew on the shower grout lines and the dirty shower curtain that continuously blew on me as I was taking a shower.. if you are into that sort of thing you are going to LOVE this place, go ahead and book it NOW! Location to downtown was good but that’s about the only thing.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Stay away

The location was far from town. The description of the hotel was totally wrong. I am not sure who reviewed this hotel as good. As soon as we pulled up we knew it was not going to work out. It looks very run down. It is located in a half residential half automotive garages. Totally totally not good. There was a bad smell as soon as you walked in. Worst in the bathroom located in the lobby. We never made it to the rooms because we tried to cancel. We all agreed we would take the $1000 loss but we were not going to stay there. We negotiated and tried to cancel through booking.com. They still charged a fee. Ennis is a great city. I have been there before. Don't ruin it by booking at this hotel I plan on contacting booking.com to drop tis hotel. I am sure I am not the first. I will say that the guy at reception was really nice. It wasn't his fault, he doesn't own the place. My review comes up as a 2.5, I wouldn't even give it a negative 2.5.

The staff was nice at reception. That is it

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Comfortable lodgings near the Burren

No real complaints but noticed the lift seems to need some TLC (very slow to start after doors close, scraping noises in the shaft, etc)

Pretty much everything- easy walk to the town, nice room, comfortable bed, very nice staff, good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Very happy - we'll return to this hotel if we return to Ennis!

Signal for TV was poor - though we were out most of the time so it didn't really matter.

Breakfast was excellent - Manager came round for a chat to make sure his guests were satisfied - nice touch!! We'll be back!!

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

It was ok and we were glad to get the booking at short notice..

The room had only a skylight, so it was not possible to see out. This gave the room an unwelcome atmosphere. The sink was cracked. We felt overcharged, but it was the bank holiday.

The hotel was able to give us a room on the very busy August Bank holiday weekend

This hotel was really great, lovely room, great location,...

This hotel was really great, lovely room, great location, lovely breakfast and buffet dinner was nice too. Staff were extremely friendly and couldn’t do enough for us, I’d highly recommend staying here.

Nice Stay

We loved the hospitality of the hotel staff. We felt very welcome even though we arrived way after hours and they had to wait for us. Breakfast was superb! Compliments to the chef and all around thank yous!

I will give it another try.

The room was very cosy as in tiny. There was a large fly on my bed when I got there, I didn't stay all night and so I don't know where it went. The room was roasting even with the velux window open. The tv didn't work but because I didn't stay, I didn't call down to see if it could be fixed. I could hear a family/children nearby. I paid 85 on a Thursday. I thought that pretty steep for a weekday. I would recommend the hotel as I didn't give it a full try. I'm sure if I wanted a fan they would have supplied one.

I couldn't find it originally and so I called the hotel. The receptionist was lovely and extremely helpful. She couldn't find my reservation but included breakfast in my rate regardless. The sheets and towels were lovely, fresh and crisp. The shower and bathroom lovely. I loved the velux window as it was very warm.

A few tastfully arranged pictures on walls do not a 150 euro-a-night boutique hotel make

On check in (early - which we much appreciated) we were shown to a room which had not been cleaned or made up, and was also very small and cramped. The next room we were shown was much better. The hotel overall was OK but - given what we were paying - no more than that. The place felt and looked bit tired, rooms were on the small size and breakfast was limited and disappointing.

Friendly helpful staff and a genuinely warm welcome

A short walk to the city centre

Ennis as a city doesn't have a lot to offer but we were only passing through so ...

The hotel is really close to the city centre. You can get to the shopping street and the restaurant via a nice stroll along the water. Breakfast was also nice and really friendly personell.

Arrived late on Sunday evening and Tom offered to open the...

Arrived late on Sunday evening and Tom offered to open the bar for me if I wanted a drink, so nice welcome. Room clean and comfortable. Breakfast fine. All in all a really nice place and excellent value for money.

Never again! Ennis is a day trip keep moving on

The room was filthy dirty! Rug, furniture and curtains are disgusting! People live in this hotel. Loud, fighting, smoking, a horror! People should be made aware prior to booking that this is that type of hotel... 260.00 for 2 night! Not ok!

Breakfast was ok. The staff was friendly and accommodating...

A convenient place to stay to visit the Burren and to be able to walk into Ennis in the evening.

The outside of the hotel and it’s position does it no favours,and looks nothing like a boutique hotel - as inside it is very good and meets all requirements.

Bed comfortable, staff friendly. Location good.

Receptionist during check-in was lovely and friendly.

Chef was gone before 9pm even though it stated food was until 9pm. Parking is limited. Breakfast was minimal, not impressive. Older male manager was rude to his staff in front of guests and didn't check us out, just told us to leave the key cards on the desk while he ate food in the restaurant. Would not return.

Receptionist during check-in was lovely and friendly.

We arrived early and left our luggage and went to the town...

We arrived early and left our luggage and went to the town to eat. Then we came back at 14:20 and got the key to the room, but the room hadn't been cleaned yet. We still had to wait almost an hour to get the room. The receptionist just sat in the restaurant and said that it had been such a busy morning??!??

Excellent place to stay. Don't look any further. This place was fabulous.

Easy to find location, staff really friendly, room size was big, breakfast was fantastic. Wish we could have stayed longer than just one night.

Central Hotel for a good price

No remote could be found for the TV. The shower curtain needs to be cleaned.

It was good value for money, location is quite central. The room was basic enough. I ate in the restaurant and got chicken with spinach and it was delicious and a big portion too. Sadly the potatos were a bit lumpy. Amazing sauce with the chicken dish too. The breakfast was good, cereals, bread, tea and coffee and all the usual elements for a full Irish.

overall our stay was very pleasant and enjoyable will definitely stay again

bar was closed when we came back to hotel at 10-30 after concert in glor theatre but night porter look after us

the receptionist was very friendly and very informative where to shop and eat.

The room was better than I expected - large comfortable bed ...

Location was on the edge of Ennis town - slightly industrial -10 min walk to town centre.

The room was better than I expected - large comfortable bed , room and bathroom large, clean and modern. Lovely buffet breakfast.

Dissapointing

Location ,Location Location ,smell of the place ,(cigarettes) car parking , seemed to double up as hostel for homeless families absolutely nothing boutique about it personally would bypass Ennis town altogether if you don’t need to be there There are far nicer towns and hotels to stay in ireland.

Breakfast just ok ,My evening meal in Brogans bar in town recommended by reception ,excellent

Not a good experience

Just about everthing, the overall cleansiness of the hotel is shocking. The shower was filthy I was unable to take a shower in the morning, the breakfast was atrocious I could not eat it. What a complete dump.

Checking out

Fun town nice stay

The Ashford Court was a welcoming place with good accomendations and a great support staff. We were welcomed warmly with great suggestions about where to eat and go for night life. They even helped us find a reliable driver to take us to the Cliffs of Moher the next day. Tony, showed us the town and we had a terrific night! I would recommend to others for sure!

Irish hospitality still the best

could do with curtains on the window as the choice was total darkness or full view from the cottages across the street .overhead lighting poor in room. shelf in bathroom dangerous as glasses where inclined to slide off and into wash basin. a supply of water in the room would be very good.

staff were all so present and helpful. decor was very good .keeping it warm and comfortable unlike some places that can be clinical. great location. easy access day or night.

Great value

Room needs up-dating. Only one bedside lamp whose bulb didn't work. Small room. Can hear all the doors on the corridor bang.

Excellent value for a one-night stay. Very good breakfast and helpful staff.

I LATER FOUND THAT I WAS DOUBLED BILLED THE THE NIGHT I...

I LATER FOUND THAT I WAS DOUBLED BILLED THE THE NIGHT I STAYED.THIS WAS BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION BY MY CREDIT CARD CARRIER. THEY ARE LOOKING INTO THIS "ERROR".

Good choice for breakfast although a bit more care with the...

Not enough parking. Looking a bit tired and not sure what the "boutique " bit referred to.

Good choice for breakfast although a bit more care with the fried eggs would have been nice!

The hotel is lovely but it’s the staff that really stand out...

The room was quite old and the shower leaked onto the floor

The hotel is lovely but it’s the staff that really stand out, very friendly helpful and always on hand for whatever you need. Bed was very comfy, fresh clean towels were provided. The residents bar is great and breakfast the next morning was also delicious!

welcoming, warm and amazing hospitality.

Tom and his staff could not have been more welcoming. We have never experienced hospitality like it. Could not have done enough for us , home away from home.

It was a pleasant enough stay. Close to the town, breakfast was good and the staff were lovely.

The drinking water tasted awful. The bathroom was poky. It took some effort to get in and and out without banging elbows off door handles. The view was of a housing estate. The rooms were shabbier looking than the advertising photos.

The staff were lovely. The location was close enough to the town.

Great location and good food with kind staff, probably needs updates before I'd come back.

The bathroom had a lot of mold (ceiling, window sill and bathtub), the shower definitely needed to be updated. The beds were ok, probably needed new mattresses.

The location was great and we were mostly walking distance to the center of town. The staff were kind and even made us breakfast early due to our travel plans. Breakfast was also really delicious.

Great value for money and friendly staff - will stay again!

First floor smelt like cigarettes

Staff were friendly and accommodating, room was spacious with a great shower and it was great value for money, as it included breakfast.

I will stay at the hotel again as I like where it is located but I'll be insisting on double bed.

I didn't like the breakfast at all. If I had known it was a buffet that was cooked since 8am and been sitting there for a while, I would have passed. I went to breakfast at 10am. It wasn't like I was expecting as in the photo on the hotel site.

I booked a double room however, I was disapointed that the double turned out to be two singles together. I woke up every time I turned over as the ridge from the join hurt my ribs.

We got stuck n a room with a locked door to balcony so we...

We got stuck n a room with a locked door to balcony so we had no eay to let fresh air n2 room left n a room that was to hot and stuffy . We left a day early because of it

Easy!

Basically all ok. Maybe needs some cosmetic attention to the common parts. The shower was fixed with adhesive tape, but nothing really serious.

Pleasant stay. Staff really helpful. Breakfast is plentiful. Walking distance from pubs, restaurants etc. Parking included so it is a perfect base to explore co Clare. Easy access.

Tired hotel but fair price

On the top floor the window is in the roof so you can't see view. The furniture was old and tired. The lamps were very dusty inside. They provide a kettle but the plug sockets are high up the walls so there's no where that the kettle lead would reach too. But the bed and bathroom were spotlessly clean and it's fair value for money. Hardly any parking.

Clean bed and clean bathroom. Nice friendly reception. Easy location.

Unsatisfactory considering we paid €94.50 and didn’t have the basics right

Got there reception was closing at 9 awaiting us. Room had two single beds considering we are husband and wife very disappointing. Got up next morning to have shower, shower head fix for walk broken disappointing for the money we paid breakfast no milk jugs

I would never stay here again.

The first room was very dingy. The second room was bigger. There were patio doors onto a roof which you couldn't use, the doors did not lock they had lost the key. We piled our suitcases up against the patio doors while we went out for something to eat. There was a massive crack in the bathroom mirror, the soap dish fell off the wall, the shower riser was broken, the shower curtain was not properly attached to the hooks. The safe wasn't working as in the previous room, Geraldine the receptionist told me all the safes had been disabled. The remote did not work the TV. It wasn't even the same make as the tv so we had to lift the tv off the stand and use the controls at the back. The lift did not work because management had turned it off because it was due a service. I think someone from the hotel should look up the word"Boutique" because it most certainly does not apply to this hotel.. Boutique according to the receptionist is a small hotel (there are 30 rooms here) and dark colours are used to paint the bedroom walls. We were booked in for 2 nights, but asked for a refund for the second night as we would not be staying another night. The hotel did not argue the point and gave us a refund and an offer of a free breakfast the following morning which we declined.

Terrible

Once I checked in and paid in advance, the experience began. The lift was broken so I had to carry all my bags up 3 flight's of stairs. I could smell cigarette smoke coming from rooms as I ascended the stairs. My room on the 3rd floor had no window only a velux in the roof. Which probably wasn't a bad thing as the view wasn't much to write home about. There was smell of paint in the room which forced me to keep the velux open all night as it was so overpowering. I can still smell the paint 24 hours later. The furniture in the room was dated. Shower was held together with tape. The sink was cracked. Safe didn't work. Breakfast was awful. Furniture and cushions in restaurant were dirty and ripped. I was contemplating leaving and looking for a different hotel at 3am as I felt sick from the smell of the paint. Very noisy. Probably my worst experience ever in a "hotel". I never looked fwd to leaving a premises so much in my lufe. Do not stay here unless you want a cheap hostel experience.

Not much. After the pleasant welcome. It was all downhill.

Fire alarm going off for an hour at 2:45 part of a not so pleasant stay.

Firstly there was no parking, un-secure on street parking, breakfast didn't start until 8 on the weekend, which was when I started work, elevator didn't work, shower head spraying all over the place, Fire alarm went off at 2:45am for nearly an hour, sound proofing in rooms not great (crying baby next door and people singing on the streets), no staff member on the door in the morning to discuss anything with.

Bed was comfy and location is quiet close to the city

Nice, comportable hotel. We loved Ennis; it's a very special town. Great Irish trad music.

See my answer above.

Bed was soft and comfortable. Pillows: soft, cushy, VERY comfortable. Owner or manager, Geraldline (I think), was pleasant and accommodating. Parking convenient and easy. Location was OK, 10 minute walk to the center, but my spouse would have preferred a B&B, something much more intimate and much closer to center of town. Elevator was convenient, especially for those who need one. Originally we searched your website for a B&B. Usually B&B's don't feel like a hotel, ie. main floor, 1st, 2nd, 3rd floor. We prefer the folksy comfort of B&B's, where breakfast is included. Here it was not. It was extra. So we went into town, and found some great coffee shops, delis and pastry shops that give you the real flavor of what is special about Ireland.

Good location very helpful reception staff.

Don’t think this should be described as a “Boutique” Hotel. It is a hotel which needs some TLC in the room to bring it up to scratch.

Good location very helpful reception staff.

Fine for a night. Not the best for small children.

The state of the building wasn't great and the rooms felt a bit old. The walls/carpets had a few stains that should have been cleaned and the bathroom was a bit dank. As such, I didn't feel comfortable having the kids crawl around on the floor. The beds/sheets were clean and we saw housekeeping staff, so I don't think it was actually dirty, it just felt that way. The elevator felt a bit unstable, but it didn't get stuck (I only used it once and then opted for the stairs).

The location was decent, an easy walk to town and it was relatively cheap. The staff were very helpful and friendly.

Great break

Just outside the main high road in an area of residential and when area. Please don't let that put you off.

Clean and friendly, the staff couldn't do enough for you and the owner went the extra mile

Friendly great location

The breakfast needs improvements the sausages and rashers were gone off. Other than that every was good.

The owner couldnt do enough for us. Lovely man

The hotel was in a good location for a party we were...

The hotel is run down with limited parking, I was nervous of parking my car on the street because the area was dark and felt unsafe if walking on your own.

The hotel was in a good location for a party we were attending in that part of town. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was fine.

Friendly atmosphere

Not enough on site parking but then again plenty of parking beside the hotel.

Close to town centre. Room good size and comfortable. Staff very friendly and welcoming. Second visit there. Will definitely come back.

Drab and Disappointing. Won't stay again.

The Hotel is tired and jaded and although the staff were lovely i found my room door didn't lock properly so i didn't leave the room and the bath plug didn't fit the bath. I could have complained but i have an injury and going down to reception and changing rooms after a long journey didn't appeal. I didn't like having to get up and down 3 or 4 times at breakfast to get things to eat but that's a personal preference. €20 a night too expensive.

Enjoyed a peaceful break

Rashers could be a bit hotter,it was self service and the were in ban marie.everything else good

Bed so comfy. Breakfast good. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Staff were lovely especially Claudia at reception and the...

Breakfast finished at 10:30 which I think is too early on a weekend so we missed the breakfast.

Staff were lovely especially Claudia at reception and the night porter.

Once off!

Breakfast cereals on display covered with cling film at 5pm! No proper lounge area. A hostel feel to the Place. Would not recommend it

Fresh scones in the morning a nice touch.

Never again

The guest next door had a dog in the room. The location of the hotel is not as described...it is not close to the centre of town. The breakfast was the worst we had in Ireland.

The bed was comfortable.

Absolutely Notting had 6 rooms booked and if I could have...

Everything staff where rude at desk. Owner was ignorant/rude towards my partner on check in. The hotel I would not have even given them a star let alone 3 of them first of all absolute no Parking no bar then onto room when walked in all could smell was a very strong odour of mildew which wasn't even treated properly only painted over the room was stink... bed was two singles pushed together and about 20 years old the duvet had a slit down the side and could see the duvet underneath was brown from dirt this was room. 107 friend said their rooms where not great but it was a roof and a bed... shower head in bathroom was broke and full of lime I've stayed in a lot of places but this was the worse ever.. we'd been better off stay in hostel it was so dirty.. never stay again and would definitely not recommend. €115 a room per night we paid personally think we were robbed. Other hotels in Ennis cheaper price and way better only booked here cause it was nearer to were we wanted to be.

Absolutely Notting had 6 rooms booked and if I could have left the hotel without occurring a penalty of a charge I would have.

Beds comfy, clean room.

some residents were noisey and woke us on a couple of occasions, didnt see any staff after 10,didnt feal that safe.

Beds comfy, clean room. Adervertised as 3 star was a 3 star,

Beautiful Boutique hotel. Staff friendly and welcoming. Will definitely stay again.

Not enough onsite parking, but saying that there's plenty of parking nearby.

The staff were so friendly, great welcoming athmosphere. Food was fresh and hot. Rooms good size and very clean, beds comfortable.

Great value,super comfortable,perfect location with friendly staff!!! Thanks every one!!

...not a huge dilemma,but the bathroom was cold especially with the extractor. There are heaters but no easy way to reach them (especially when you're small!!)

Originally stayed for 1 night..it was so great I returned for a further 2,great location,huge clean beds,warm,fantastic breakfast and wonderfully friendly/helpfull staff!!

It was in a good location and we got great recommendations...

Needs a little touching up. Towel rail and door lock needs tightening.

It was in a good location and we got great recommendations from the staff at reception for places to eat and pubs. Very clean and comfortable. Staff lovely.