Reviews of Ballsbridge Hotel 4 stars

Pembroke Road, D4 Dublin, Ireland

#92 of 136 hotels in Dublin

• Classic Double Room

The view - of the roof tops No bar fridge Different room to what was pictured in our confirmation

Comfortable room Facilities great and central location

• Classic Double Room

For nearly €350 a night I was expecting a top class hotel. The ballsbridge is very poor. From being questioned about whether I’d paid for a €15 breakfast, including having to return to my room half a mile away to get my phone to prove I’d paid!, to families of young children running around in the middle of the night (I later found out the hotel allows the homeless to stay in during the early hours - which is actually credible but it shouldn’t interrupt guests who have paid such a high price) and very old and dated decor all round which has clearly not had a refurb for 20+ years. I wondered whether I was at the right Hotel based on the price I paid. Granted the money conference was on so an opportunity was taken to hike the prices

Only the location

No Temperature Control in a five star hotel Price point way to high for accommodations- Beds were horrible. Waited an hour for a fan and then only 1 fan for a room with 3 people. Charged for parking while staying at your over priced hotel. When leaving front staff asked how was stay - we said horrible due to heat and now have to pay for parking. Customer service warranted a gesture even if small like not charging for parking and an expression of empathy for a hot hotel room. Instead ..... nothing !!!

Staff

• Classic Double Room

The bed was slightly too hard

Very nice and good hotel, 20 minutes walk to Trinity college. Many good restaurants near the hotel opposite from city center, just a few minutes walk. Can recommend this hotel

• Classic Double Room

It should be noted that the automatic toaster at breakfast is much more like a crematorium for my personal choice. When I did go to turn it down I was asked not to touch the controls as well which was rather frustrating. Once you start to look closer and evaluate further there are certainly issues with the room I was in (827). Firstly the two chairs where reasonably comfy however they were obviously worn out and in need of a refresh. Secondly most of the draws both in the desk and the bed side cabinates didn't shut properly. A lot of people don't use them but its a notable point. Thirdly the bath side pannel was very clearly cracked along with some other poorly fixed damage in the bathroom. Finally the windowsil was dirty on arrival with chunks of something black and the middle of the windowsil had paint stripped. While all of these are small things they all add up to reduce the premium feeling of the hotel.

The hotel in general has a very good feel to it, the staff are very nice and exactly what you would expect from a 4 star hotel. The lobby area is very spacious with comfortable seating if needed. Breakfast was included in the room I booked. This was very good. There was a wide selection of cooked options, Bacon, sausages, eggs (Although slightly too watery for my liking), tomatoes and beans. As normal there are plenty of breakfast cerials and both low and full fat milk with extra toppings that can be added with them if wanted. There was a good selection of fruit but for 3 out of the 4 days (last 3) there were no banana's available which was a shame that no one had noticed. There were plenty of breads to choose from. There was also a good selection of juice to choose from; orange, apple, cranbary and water. Tea and coffee was offered during breakfast but only on my final morning. My room on first impressions was very nice and spacious with a good desk space which was important for me. The beds where increadbly comfortable and the bedding/pillows were very good quality. The view from my room was stunning, looking over the south portion of Dublin city, it was a lovely refreshing thing to see in the morning.

• Classic Double Room

It would have been nicer had it been a bit nearer the city centre, but that said there is a DART station just a 5 minute walk away, so maybe that’s just me being lazy.

The hotel was really nice and the staff were great. The rooms were pretty large compared to other places I’ve stayed, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Deluxe Double Room

Only negative was Breakfast - sausages were over cooked/ very dry. No waiter offered tea/coffee - needed to find someone to request warm beverage.

Room was spacious, clean and comfy.

• Deluxe Double Room

The building including our eighth floor room was very warm. Whole building needs air conditioning system. Staff provided us with two mobile air conditioning units. Lacked garden/outdoor seating area. No pool or spa facilities.

Staff were very good. Loved the live piano playing.

• Classic Double Room

Dated. No air conditioning. Fixtures not finished well. Needed a keycard to gain access to downstairs door opening. This is not a hospital. Supplied with a fan. It wasn’t even in the room to start with. No fridge in room. Apparently could get one if switchboard contacted. Had booked this through ‘booking.com’ and the plus for me was the car parking on site but this was extra. This was not clear on booking.com website from my memory but when subsequently looking at hotel website it logged this as extra. In saying this it’s a good site and easy to park, so this is a positive. Overall over priced.

Parking costs to stay but valuable. Staff very good and informative from front desk to restaurant

• Classic Double Room

Small tired rooms - catering for the conference crowd.

The property’s focus is on the conference center with the rooms as a side. The rooms were small and very tired. There is no air conditioning and the rooms were stuff - even with a fan. Overall you could be mistaken for staying in a large American hotel chain. The property is on the right side of Liffey River and as result is in a safe part of Dublin and is 30 minute walk to Trinity College.

• Classic Double Room

4 star hotel advertised. Got the equivalent of an average/poor 2star. Staff were ok, walls were dirty, ceilings were damp, didn’t dine in hotel, no complimentary water(we get that in 3star hotels!). Parking was extra, room 811 we won’t forget this trip!

The location was relatively spot on

• Deluxe Double Room

No complaints at all, even bus to and from hotel to airport is straight outside hotel.

We were fortunate to be upgraded so can only say our room was fabolous.Staff were superb,check in in seconds and every question we asked was answered very quickly and helpfully.Lovely sitting outside in front of the bar with a guinness.

• Classic Twin Room

One of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in (and the pillows was also very comfortable) Bedroom very spacious and really really clean. Would stay there again

• Classic Twin Room

Breakfast was disappointing for a 4star hotel,sausages were overdone,and there were only croissants available,no scones or other pastries

Easy to find,friendly staff,clean

• Classic Double Room

Having paid near €200 for a bed only we expected a good nights sleep. From about 1.30am onwards a machine from an adjacent building site kept going off. It make the windows shake and woke me, which is a feat in itself. I rang reception and they advised that I speak with the manager in the morning. This wasn’t much good to us as we had a 200 mile drive the following day and only wanted a good nights sleep. I spoke with the manager and he was very polite etc and said that there had been a number of complaints however there was nothing he could do as we had paid in advance. He offered us a reduction on our next stay, again no good to us as it was a unique event caused us to stay there in the first place. It truly felt like that once they had our money they couldn’t care less about the quality of stay of their guests. It was very disappointing and in my view unacceptable given the price of the room.

Location and cleanliness

• Classic Double Room

This place clearly needs renovation. Just not a 'hotel-kind-of-stay'. The pictures look great but in real life everything is just old and needs to be freshened up. Also, there was no mini bar in the room and no A/C or temperature regulation in the room. The staff was lying when we asked for a solution for the heat- saying there were no rooms with A/C in the hotel at all, though I knew for sure there were, as my father was staying in the same hotel at the same time in a room with A/C.... The vending machines didn't work well, the elevators were slow and old, also the selection at breakfast was not great and the coffee tasted like tea. It felt more like a 3 star accomodation.

The hotel is close to RDS, just a 5-10 minute walk.

• Classic Twin Room

First night I was near the end of the hallway and had poor Wifi. They relocated me the next evening and internet was great.

Ballsbridge Hotel is a stop for the Hop On Hop Off Bus so great location for touring. About a quarter mile to the left are several restaurants and taverns and jsu a bit farther to the right are several cafes and taverns too.

• Classic Twin Room

Would have liked to be able to open a window, room got a little warm at night

Comfortable beds, clean bathroom. Nice breakfast each morning. Pleasant,helpful staff. Airport bus stops right outside hotel.

I have no complaints with regards to my stay at Ballsbridge Hotel in Dublin, Ireland.

The accommodations were excellent and the buffet breakfast in the dining area was wonderful.

• Classic Double Room

I always pick this hotel for my parents and my friends when visiting Dublin. Clean Rooms, friendly staff. But the best is the location. Ballsbridge area is really close (walking distance) to city centre and all the famous sightseeing. Aircoach from airport stops right in front of the hotel and leaves for the airport from the stop there. Buses to city centre also stop in front of the bus (if you don't feel like walking). Additional experience: during footbal, rugby games - the entire hotel is filled with fans and it is a really cool experience!

• Classic Double Room

Only fault was the quality of the food from room-service. Caesar salad and portion of chips - chips under cooked (not completely but harder than they should be and Caesar salad disappointing. I ate it all as I was starving and it was late. Maybe a quality check on the food going out for room service would be a good idea.

Room clean, comfortable and nice and quiet during my stay. Great location as always, check in and out was very quick.

• Classic Double Room

Very noisy outside due to construction work, some children were living beside my room, keep playing until midnight, couldn't sleep at all. Did not make compliant, can't blame on kids. But the hotel should be aware that the quiet and privacy are always the priority. Duty manager on the day I checked in was like a robot, no smile at all. Check out stuff was good.

Central location. Big space of the room

Wish they had 3 beds available. Went with 2 girlfriends and had to bunk with each other. There is construction going on next to our room and something started up ? (Generator) every hour or so waking us up. They graciously didn’t charge us for parking to compensate us.

Nice location close to downtown and a spacious room. Very clean. Upgraded us to king bed and a twin. Nice outdoor seating area to enjoy a drink and a bite to eat. Staff very friendly and helpful.

• Classic Double Room

It general the hotel is now very dated, no AC, the dark wood and damaged furniture made the room feel old. There were Staines on the carpet. However, the place was clean. The food was very expensive for pub grub and the wine extortionate. Food was good on the first night but uncooked on the second. The hotel was advertised with private parking included, but was actually 12 Euro per night extra and the car was covered in bird droppings permenantly as all spaces were under trees. It was overpriced for what you got. Better value to be had elsewhere.

The hotel was ok for a business trip

• Classic Double Room

We requested could we check in early, but when we arrived at 1.00 pm we were just told that "ye are too early to check in" . No real effort was made to accommodate us, but we were able to drop our bags and wait. 3.00 pm was a very late check in for us as we had intended to spend the day in the city centre, not travelling back and forth to the hotel to check in. No shower caps

Cleanliness comfortable bed Good public transport links nearby

• Classic Double Room

Our first room - No safe - No refrigerator. When you looked out of the window you had a view of the hotels lower roof which was full of scrap metal. The decoration of the room left a lot to be desired an overlayed mirror in the bathroom. The fridge that they supplied us with was appalling and made a noise all night. We were moved to a better room. If the hotel owns the roof they should be responsible for the upkeep of that roof. Whilst we understand this hotel is close to the city centre and we do understand that your not going to get a view, we shouldn’t have to look at shoddy workmanship.

• Classic Twin Room

The room looked to be clean and nicely decorated but had a strong smell of damp as you walked in the door which was immediately off putting, it needs to be remedied as this should not be the case in a 4 star hotel, otherwise a lovely room

It’s in a lovely location, close to city center but not too close! Lovely leafy suburb of Dublin, Ballsbridge has lovely pubs and cafes, the hotel bar was quite nice and the bar food was of a very good standard, we had chili nachos, chicken fajita’s and hot wings, all of which was delicious! Reception staff and bar staff were very helpful and friendly, lovely big room with a view, good shower :) Overall a very pleasant hotel, I would definitely stay again and would recommend to a friend

• Classic Twin Room

I thought it was expensive for one night stay

Had a very short but lovely trip with my 12 year old daughter. Location was super in a beautiful part of the city. Hotel was fab lovely staff lovely spacious clean rooms.

No complaints from us

Lovely quiet clean and comfy hotel with heaps of delightful friendly happy staff at reception and in the Dubliner pub and restaurant. Location is great with easy access to Landsdowne Road Station or flat walking into city. Wonderful place to stay. Highly recommend. .Wifi excellent

• Classic Double Room

It was quite noisy at times. All the room doors slam closed, so you can hear people coming and going all the time.

The staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was really good.

• Classic Twin Room

Location was a bit far from the city center. Busses and taxis close by. No pool.

Traveled with my adult daughter. Room was very spacious and comfy. Bathroom was lovely. Clean high quality sheets daily. Good food and snack bar.

• Classic Double Room

I would have expected a safe in the room - most hotels I stay in have one. For some reason my Mastercard world-wide travel card was not accepted even though I used it in retail establishments in Dublin without problem and also in ATM's.

I liked all the mirrors in the bathroom which enabled you to see the back of your outfits and hair. I particularly liked your bar and the bar staff who were very friendly.

• Classic Twin Room

Wait staff was a mix of nationalities and not always friendly, perhaps that's normal for their home Countries. The hotel has a barber shop but no ATM machine? Pass on the breakfast, it's 15 Euros a piece and just not worth it. Our room was non smoking however we had burn marks on the ledge by the window. Additionally the shower head leaked (over the curtain) all over the counter where the only plug for your I phone exists, needless to say not good. We checked out late everyday due to our being on California time, so sometimes the room wasn't vacuumed. Also gardener with gas blower outside your room at 8:15 AM? Couldn't fall back to sleep. Lots of dirty tabletops and overflowing cigarettes on the outside tables of the Dubliner Bar.

The water was nice and hot, room service is prompt and friendly. The coffee bar food is wonderful and the two ladies working there are very sweet and helpful.

• Classic Double Room

9.50 for a glass of house wine was a shock to the system.

Central location for business trip. All staff were professional and helpful. Received a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite. Great selection and variety at the breakfast buffet.

The staff at the cafe near the Lounge area were hopeless! We wanted to ‘create our own sandwich’ which was on the menu and because they couldn’t find some of the things on the till we weren’t able to do it so ended up with your standard ham salad sandwich. It truly would have been quicker for them to take our order the old fashioned way on a pad and give it to the kitchen.

The hotel was very nice. Light, airy and very clean. The bar staff were very friendly and we had a good laugh with them.

Everything was perfect!

Great location, staff extremely helpful & friendly, room was stupendous. Hotel bar was cozy and a great stop at the end of the night. We’ll be back!

The breakfast, in the first room the breakfast looked lovely, most food was covered, in the second room that we were in the baguettes had gone soft, the warm food tasted like it had been out from 7 that morning. We were down at 8:45.

Room was spacious for me partner and young son!

• Classic Twin Room

The room was lovely and spacious however the room was far too hot- uncomfortably so. We had to ask for a fan for the room which the staff were very accommodating about but it was so hot we could have done with two. The addition of the fan made sleeping hard as it was so noisy. We also had to leave the window open which was also noisy.

Bathroom was gorgeous. Nice and spacious with a great shower. Bed was so comfy. The room itself was nice and clean.

I stayed for 3 nights and asked on the first day on arrival and in the morning of the 2nd day if one double can be fixed to a twin as we had 2 doubles for 3 adults - this never happened, neither did we got new towels on the second day..

• Classic Double Room

Room was very noisy due to it being next to the elevators. Wifi kept disconnecting in my room and the room was extremely warm making it uncomfortable to sleep in. Accept the weather played its part but for a four star hotel to not have a/c is surprising. Also, no discount for guests using the parking facilities despite ample spaces.

• Classic Double Room

Room was incredibly warm and there was no air conditioning. Had to ask for a fan to cool the room down but the staff quickly brought that up.

Great location easy access to the centre without being too close.

• Classic Twin Room

Room was by an elevator and that was noisy at night. Went to the Dubliner and the server was not very attentive or friendly.

The room was nice, staff was great.

• Classic Double Room

Ate and drank at the hotel that night both myself and my wife contracted the same stomach bug which made traveling home the next day difficult. We have stayed in the hotel last year with no problems but this time the experience was not as good.

• Classic Double Room

No direction about breakfast or where to go for room upon arrival. No downstairs coffee facilities for when I woke early and wanted to sit downstairs rather than in the room.

The hotel was clean and comfortable.

• Classic Double Room

The room was old and small and had quite a few pieces of furniture in it. We were in a handicapped bathroom room and my friend who is in a wheelchair could not move around the room very well. We had to move furniture out of the way. There was also only one full size bed and that was hard on my friend also being paralyzed from the waist down. The walls and doors were really thin and you could hear people all day and night. I would not recommend or stay there again.

• Classic Double Room

The hotel is outdated and in need of refurbishment. The second time I was charged more per night and the room was significantly worse than the first time, smaller, lots of marks on the walls and generally grubby. I was moved to a proper room after I questioned this. The windows do not open properly and there was no air conditioning and although Dublin is far from tropical the room was too warm and I had to leave the door open to try and get the slightest draft through, to no avail. Parking was charged at €12 per day which is an absolute joke.

I stayed in this hotel twice in the space of two weeks... the first time the room was ok. Breakfast was good.

• Classic Twin Room

No form of air condition or fan in the room as sometimes it will get really hot. Other downside is the distance to the town.

Close to the aviva stadium which is really good for the rugby. Good breakfast and lovely staff.

• Classic Twin Room

Door keys kept failing, extra trips back to front desk. Internet was painfully slow, and frequently dropped off. Breakfast was not worth half of what we paid.

Room was clean. Location near restaurants.

• Classic Double Room

Breakfast wasn't great value for money

Room was good, view wasn't great but then its a city hotel and didn't come for the view. Staff were excellent on a very busy weekend

• Classic Twin Room

We loved being able to get on a bus to and from the airport. The hotel is lovely. The reception staff were very pleasant. We enjoyed the full buffet breakfast which was extra but worth it for us.

• Classic Double Room

Lots. In highr priced room (€200 per night!) there was no airconditioning (had to leave window open continuously for 6 days and nights), no fridge, no safe (had to take valuables to reception safe in an envelope, 1980s African hotel style), no shoe cleaning facility anywhere in hotel yet alone room, only shirts trousers and jackets could be laundered and then again guests have to take to reception before 8.30am ! Also, main Raglan restaurant is only open at weekends, contrary to hotel advertising. A few other nuisances too. Definitely NOT VALUE FOR MONEY at almost £200 per night.

Location - convenient walk to the Royal Dublin Society where the Dublin International Piano Competition was being held. Classically furnished and comfortable arm chairs in room and downstairs in the piano lounge (old pianist played on Fri + Sat nights). Bed was comfortable.

• Classic Double Room

Male waiter at breakfast time on May 18th really let your team down! Staff should be taught to handle situations more professionallly and watch the tone of voice. I won't attend breakfast if I have not paid!

Enjoyed my stay and will recommend. Comfy bed!

The staff was excellent. We purchased tickets to see the Rolling Stones Concert and my tickets did not arrive before we came to Ireland. The staff was so helpful in making phone calls and letting me use their phones to contact the person in charge of getting my tickets. They were with me the whole time helping me get my tickets. I honestly feel that without their help Iwould not have received my tickets. I give them a 10, they were so pleasant and helpful. I can't thank them enough.

The hotel was such a dissapointment ; to what should have been a treat was just a horrible: where we were put room /259; the hall way leading to room was dark and smelly; there was a machine in hall to try and get rid of water or dampness; shower had no hot water; noice from bulders across the road was horrindus plus builders could see into or roomm giving no privace; what a waste of time and money ; what was a treat for my ill sister was a total dissaster;i have stayed in 2 star hotels that were far superior

• Classic Twin Room

I have a backpain and the matress is way to soft so it didn't do good to my back:-/

Really good service, love the staff and everything! Very nice hotel

This hotel is 4 star and accommation is quite pricy while it doesn't have a spa/swiming pool or gym. The reception wouldn't accept 500 euro note when I pay for over 700 euro bill. They said they cannot accept anything bigger than 100 note in cash and this is a hotel policy.

We booked a triple room and the room space is OK.

• Classic Double Room

Far out from city centre. Got breakfast order wrong. Quite difficult to use the taps in bath/shower.

Hotel staff where friendly. Room was clean and comfortable. Close to train station.

• Classic Double Room

poor internet room service was overpriced and payment had to be made in the room instead of added to the bill no porters to help with luggage everything was overpriced. rooms were overheated

It had a carpark

• Classic Double Room

Noisy rooms (outdoor noises - poor window insulation and neighbors noises). Wifi almost inexistant: Forget about audio or vidéo streaming. Takes forever to download emails with attachments.

• Classic Double Room

Clearer information on public transport availability would be good for people who have never been to Ireland/Dublin

We got a free upgrade to a suite and it was amazing! The suite was bigger than a house I used to live in! The staff were friendly. We had breakfast and waiters were constantly checking we had enough tea/coffee and clearing our plates so we could go back for more. The bed was huge and comfortable - I don’t think we woke up until the alarm went off. The area is a bit out of the city centre but we walked from Phoenix Park after a concert and felt completely safe in the area around the hotel.

• Classic Double Room

There is no air conditioning in the hotel, and with the weather fluctuating between Spring and Summer, the nights too get hot... And the typical response of the staff is' "Open the window to get cool air!" They put a fan in the room to beat the heat!

Some of the front desk staff were excellent, but then there are some with Eastern European accents who are rather abrupt and rude. Maybe it is a cultural issue, but in the hospitality industry, this is a serious no-no!

• Classic Double Room

Bed was very uncomfortable, towels were dirty, food below the average. Location of the hotel impacts the ability to quickly order taxis (hotel does not have a taxi stand) and taxi company the hotel is using had severe delays as well. I could hear the guests from other rooms. No safe, no mini bar.

• Classic Double Room

The first room I have been assigned to was not well maintained. I asked for changing the room and the second room was good.

Nice location. Very close to train and bus station. Comfortable bed. Good breakfast. Very nice pub inside the hotel.

• Classic Twin Room

The hotel charged me twice! I was assured when booking that no money would be taken from my card, that it was simply a holding charge and that i could pay in cash on arrival however when I returned from my visit I discovered that I had in fact been charged twice. When I contacted the hotel about this I spoke with a very unfriendly male receptionist who didn't even apologise for the hotel over charging me and actually made a compliment out of refunding me. Very frustrating and unsatisfactory service.

Hotel was clean and in a great location.

I felt hotel facilities were a little tired and could have done with some upgrading. There was no safe available either. A little expensive for hotel decor.

• Classic Twin Room

The room was too hot & when I opened the window, the noise from the street kept me awake all night. Each time a car went over a metal cover on the road the noise was very irritating & loud but we needed the window open in the room as it was so hot. Also Booking.com told me my car parking was included in the price & the hotel charged me 12 euros extra for that when leaving.

The Breakfast was excellent.

• Classic Double Room

It didn’t really look anything like it’s pictures, the rooms are not very sound proof as we could hear the people in the next room watching tv and everything that was going on in the corridor

• Classic Twin Room

Room servicing was poor - soap replacement random, tissues not replaced. Towels replaced every day despite following instructions to save laundering. When busy on the Sunday morning breakfast was cool and poorly presented, bacon was dry and scrambled eggs swimming.

Breakfast was excellent on the Wednesday.

Booked on one day's notice due to another reservation cancelling , staff were very welcoming and the value for money was absolutely excellent ,Quiet part of Dublin with some beautiful areas, highly recommended

• Classic Double Room

Everything else, sour milk in room, material hanging off chair, hard pillows , view of a building site, no info on hotel facilities , don’t stay here !!!

Air con

• Classic Double Room

There's construction going on a building next door. I was woken up at 6:30 am. For what they charge €223 euro for one night. I feel this hotel is over priced. Didn't even have it own gym. Rubbish.

• Classic Double Room

Don't park under the trees on the left. Clearly signed ... Lots of birds.

Location is great. Dart is a 6 mind walk. Buses right outside the door as is a taxi rank. Bank across the road. Trendy restaurants 5-10 min walk either direction.

• Classic Double Room

The staff were very friendly, I was there for a special occasion, the staff were interested to be as helpful as possible offering a rose petals on bed, towels folded in shape of a heart or swan and informed me of their restaurant times. I had already made prior restaurant arrangements in Dublin but was happy that I was informed. I called reception for a taxi and it was there within 2minutes! Breakfast in bed, beautiful room, the night couldn't have went better! Thank you.

Batheoom ....while it was perfectly staged for my 91 year old mother it was old and stank of mold. Coyld be updated. I rate a barhroom first over the bedroom !

Beds comfortable. Room fine. Breakfast in room delicious and,served very promptly and hot !

• Classic Twin Room

WIFI was not available throughout the hotel. Stayed on the 2nd floor for business purposes but Wifi signal either completely disappeared for 20 minute periods or when it came back it dropped every few minutes. Simply unusable from a business perspective.

Location was good, Bed was comfortable.