Reviews of Travelodge Dublin Airport South 3 stars

Shangan Road, D09 W8H7 Ballymun, Ireland

#1 of 1 hotels in Ballymun

Based on 2094 hotel reviews

neighborhood When we opened our window there was a banging noise coming from a vent. We stuffed with a pillow to get some sleep. the week before we arrived we were notified the shuttle service was discontinued. I booked this hotel because of the shuttle and proximity to the airport for an early flight.

it was very close to the airport which is why I chose it. the neighborhood was not conducive to walking around. The staff was very accommodating and helpful with suggestions. the Guinness at the pub next door was good.

Calling it an airport hotel is a joke... it’s nowhere near the airport. Neither is it anywhere near Malahide which is how I did the search. Be warned, this hotel is no greatly situated and is in Ballymun which is NOT a nice part of town at all. You know it’s bad when the taxi driver at the airport warns you to have your wits about you there. Cost €20 in a taxi from the airport. €27 to Malahide. Much better places to stay that are easier access to the airport that don’t inappropriately use the word airport in the hotel name

The young girl on reception was incredibly friendly and helpful.

Road noise.

Clean and comfortable, although a bit loud from road noise. Staff was friendly. Breakfast was tasty with a good assortment of food including Nutella and baked ham. Fresh fruit would have been a plus. Hotel was near the airport, but I would have appreciated a shuttle service, since cab service was a bit sketch.

Weather was warm, room was warm. Opened window but was noisy. We had a room facing onto street outside and it was noisy for well into the night (with closed window)...a local was having an argument with his girlfriend & my young daughter didn’t like it...and neither did I like some of the language.

Room was spacious & clean. Handy location for Dublin airport. Secure free underground parking around the corner (make sure to park in a hotel space as the car park is shared).

Room was hot and we had to keep the window open which allowed all the street noise of cars and people talking and cigarette smoke from the bar below to travel inside the room until late in the evening. We had to close the window eventually and it was still too warm. Other room on opposite side of hotel was cool and not noisy. If we had stayed more than one night we would have requested a room change.

Staff was friendly and welcoming, allowed us to check in very early for one of our rooms. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Location was close to bus service to town center and grocery store was a short walking distance as was a local pharmacy.

there was no good restaurant to have dinner at....there was a pub ?????.....there was a take out, pizza etc that was ok....location needs to utilize their own facility to supply good food should advertise the fact that the airport shuttle has a cost ? ! ! holiday inn was no charge and was the same shuttle

close to airport

The pay-as-you-go shuttle service from the airport to the hotel was very convenient but was being cancelled right after my stay. It appears that most people drive to the hotel, but I relied on the shuttle to get there. You really cannot get there if you have to use public transport or a taxi from the airport.

It was clean and comfortable. The room was a nice size. There was a grocery store nearby so I could purchase food for the next part of my trip.

No bed lamps in several rooms, we hired twice 3 rooms. We were told that half of the rooms did not have bed lamps. No claims book. Good location near the airport, 25 minutes with public transportation to the city center.

Nothing to do in the area surrounding the hotel. The TV didn’t work in the room and the cost for one night was way to expensive for what was offered. The hostel I stayed in was better.

Short drive to the airport

The property does not have any air conditioning. It was very warm and the room was hot even though the window was open. There was not any screens for the windows so the window was full of bird droppings. There and no way to control the heat. The patio door would not open. There is no ice machine The airport shuttle will no longer be going to this hotel as if the end of June so be prepared to pay 40E return for transportation to the airport.

It was easy to get a taxi which cost 20E. The shuttle does not run late. The chap at reception was friendly and helpful.

No bar/restaurant in the evening that we could see.

The room was bright fresh very clean as were corridors etc. Staff at breakfast were extremely helpfulas we had limited mobility. Breakfast was more than adequate.

We purposely booked this hotel because the website said there was an airport shuttle...we arrived at Dublin airport to find that the shuttle has very limited hours and had already stopped running for the night. We were very tired and finally managed to get a taxi, but if we had known, we definitely would have booked a different hotel!

The location is a fairly downtrodden area. There is no restaurant nearby. There are a couple of repulsive cafeterias within a block and a take-out pizza shop. We finally went to a discount grocery and bought chicken strips and a bottle of wine. We arrived an hour prior to check-in but they wanted to charge us €10 to do so. We passed. There is an airport shuttle bus but it costs €3 per person.

The room was clean and comfortable.

No individual soaps. No reading light next to the bed.

Check in staff helpful. We were able to check in after midnight when we had a late plane arrival from the US.

We booked in because we were coming in on a late flight. However we were woken early the next morning by housekeepers and 3 more times within the next hour even though we told them we wouldnt be leaving till 12

Rooms very clean and compfy. Very quite

no bar in lobby, or nearby that you would stay long at, room was extremely hot . no air conditioning. no restaurants in walking range. kinds riding loud motorcycles around the end and back after school for hours

close to airport

I was staying here for work so location was ideal for the bus into town. I was little disappointed that no restaurant in the hotel, as I thought there was. Staff were exceptionally friendly and really helpful.

The location is not the best. You wouldn't want to be out late at night as drug addicts roam the streets.

Perfect place for an overnight stay to catch an early flight. Quiet hotel if you have a room facing away from the street.

The hotel has seen better days and although staff were quick to respond, things like a badly burnt out bed lamp shouldn't have been let go. Breakfast was very ordinary and uninspiring.

We were close to the airport and public transport into Dublin.

The coach to the airport will not run all the time, only for limited hours of the day and for limited months of the year.

It was such a pleasure to stay at the hotel! The personnel promptly answered my emails and at the beginning of my stay gave tips about nearby restaurants and shops. The hotel itself had modern feeling and both room and bathroom were very clean. I liked the vibrant colors of fabrics used for curtains and throws on beds. I will be sure to visit them again when in Dublin!

Expensive, considering the basic facilities. Disappointing to find an un flushed toilet in our bathroom upon arrival.

Convenient location, near to the airport. Plenty of car parking space.

The hotel advertised as having an airport shuttle, but it only went a few times during the day and so was virtually useless. Also, the TV in the room didn't work. There were no restaurants nearby that served any decent food and there was a seedy crowd hanging out side the hotel door which made you feel nervous when you tried to go out to find something to eat.

The hotel was close to the airport and it had free WiFi. Also, our room was relatively clean though sparse. The reception area was not as clean.

Breakfast wasn't very good. Eggs were overcooked and rubbery, bacon was like pork jerky. Not much to chose from. The room doesn't have power receptacles either side of the bed so you can't plug in your phone except at the desk. The shuttle bus to the airport only runs to 08:45 and then not until late afternoon.

The room was nice and clean.

Hard pillows.

We appreciated the free breakfast for children, because we have four small ones as well as the friendliness of the staff. Rooms wer very clean and everything worked just fine. We didn't give a perfect score because the pillows were a bit too hard (the mattresses were perfect). Will definitely recommend it to friends!

Maybe the hotel it is little bit far from Dublin City Centre

It was amazing to stay in this hotel. Everything it was perfect. The staff is very nice and available.

There is a bar nearby and drunk people outside so would not be happy out walking nearby.

Good hotel. Comfy bed. Good sized room, very clean. Parking great, I would not be happy parking car outside. The location was good as I had to be near Sports Injury Clinic. The area is not great and as I was alone would not be happy walking outside at night.

No an issue but would be great to have had a nice little restaurant to enjoy an evening meal.

The convenience to the airport as we had an early morning flight. All the staff were so nice and helpful. Could not fault any part of our stay with ye at Travel lodge

When me and my business partners got to the hotel at 5 mins to 3PM the receptionist said the rooms will be ready in 5 minutes. After 15 minutes we got our 6 rooms but one of them was given to us twice and another one was given to someone else and when my colleague went in the room and opened the door a couple was in bed already and they got scared. When I went to the reception to ask for explanation one of the staff started to be racist with us because we shouldn't speak other language than English there because that is what she want to hear. When I asked her to call the manager to talk with her and told her that I will call the police for being racist she just said that she didn't said that and she just left from there. Next day when we left the receptionist that was trying to make things ok the day before apologized again and she said she informed her manager about what happened but after 4 days now I haven't got anything back.

Nothing to like

The hotel looks good and clean. 20 minutes drive to the city center.

The option 'airport shuttle' is an e-mail sent to bookers telling them how to get to the shuttle bus. Only this shuttle goes to another Travelodge hotel, leading to taxi expenses and an hour's delay in getting there. Staff at neither Travelodge hotel seemed to find this an issue, nor did the Travelodge itself when contacted. Not their problem, obviously, The taxi driver wasn't surprised, he had had more trips from one Travelodge to another.

Location was not as great for a 1AM checkin.

Location was great if you’re staying one night on a late flight or early morning. Included parking was very nice. Bed was comfortable.

We had to wait one hour for the room. After we got it and we already started unpacking, some other guest came to the room with the same keycard (luckily we were still in the room!). They gave the same room to two different quest, which shouldn't happen in any kind of hotel!

Teenagers put on our floor knocking and slamming doors until 1.30am. My husband ask them to stop as we need to get up at 6.30am. The view was looking onto council housing balconies . We were told breakfast was at 7am so was down stairs and paid for breakfast to be told it's not open until 7.30am. So we ask for our money back as we had to goths airport for an early f;light and couldn't wait..

Room was pleasant on arrival.

Cheap & cheerful, staff very friendly and efficient even though it was a late arrival after midnight due to delayed flight!

Close to Dublin airport

No nice food outlets or bars nearby. Location only good for stopover before flight.

Good for early shuttle bus to airport. Only 3 euros. Good price for Dublin on an expensive weekend.

There was no airport shuttle service for flights that arrived later than 9:00 p.m. (2100) and there is no public bus service from the airport to this hotel. I had to take a taxi which cost 15 euro one way. In addition, unless you had a morning flight, there is no bus to the airport after 9:50 a.m. (3 euros one way). The front desk said I could either take a taxi again, or pay 2.85 euro one way on a public bus into town to transfer to another bus (another 2.85 euro) that would take me back that direction to the airport. I had two large bags to handle and did not want to go all the way into town, transfer and come all the way back with this luggage, so I took last shuttle and sat at the airport until my flight left at 4 p.m. (1600). If you have a check out time of 12:00 and advertise you have airport transport, then you should have bus service to the airport up to that time. Also, there was nothing to do or really eat or shop at near this hotel. They have breakfast, but it was 7.50 euros per person.

It was closer to aiport

Was quite shocked at the location- outside was really intimidating, with crowds of men hanging around the front of the hotel & bar next door. Not your usual 'outside for smoke types' but more intimidating. Also no food available - your to go thru the crowd to go to a chip shop next door.

Couldn't fault the hotel & staff were really fabulous

The location was terrible. It seemed like the hotel was adjacent to unkempt subsidized housing units. It seemed unsafe to walk in the area and there was only one place to eat if You didn’t want to cab into the city.

The parking lot was super convenient and easily accessible

Remote location (you get what you pay for in this sense); Payment system was inflexible and created problems for me since I was in charge of a group and needed to pay for multiple rooms. They require mandatory payment on arrival. They also charge "in your own currency" by default (or at least did for me) which I dislike since I get a better conversion rate with my cc.

Quiet room, decent size space, parking garage was very handy, easy access to hotel from garage.

The taxi driver took us to the wrong hotel even though we told him which one. There is another Travelodge that is closer but ours was SOUTH. Be sure your taxi driver knows which hotel you want or he'll leave you at the wrong hotel and they'll have to call you another one.

The staff was great. The room worked out fine. The bus stop was right outside and very convenient. The staff was extremely helpful.

The thing that let the building down is the unrented retail properties that are boarded up

The young lady on the the reception (Shannon I believe) was very helpful, informative and friendly.

on arriving our first room we were given, no housekeeping had been done. 2 girls on reception were excellent and very attentive they apologised and gave me and my two daughters another room. The next room had had the housekeeping carried out, but unfortunately after 3 of us showering the bath waste pipe must be leaking as the bathroom and the bedroom became flooded, the carpet in the bedding area was soaking. The 2 very attentive girls on reception were really embarrassed, and again apologised and moved us to another room. The rest of the stay was excellent. Breakfast buffet was good and well worth the money.

2 receptionist were very attentive, especially after we had a couple of hiccups with our room

Fridges in the rooms and glasses for drinks

Comfortable and clean,loved that it had a full bath! Close to everything. Only downfall is no fridges in the rooms to keep food and cold drinks.

There were no bedside lamps. The receptionist got one for us. The sockets next to the beds were not compatible with Irish plugs!!! The breakfast was very limited .Needs landscaping and painting

The room and bathroom were a good size and had nice decor. The staff were very helpful.

The bed and pillows where uncomfortable. The Telly was small

It was close to Dublin airport. The shuttle bus was 3 Euro. The bus times were regularly. The bath was huge

only stayed one night, but the wind was blowing something around on the roof that banged all night. We reported it so that repair could be carried out.

Spacious modern room. Bus into city readily available for sightseeing. Near airport for early return flight using shuttle bus.

Noisey at night and bed room not smelling very nice couldn't pinpoint what it was, Lots of noise from outside re takeaway and bar near by also, kids running in the corridors at midnight had to go out to them, presume it was a school tour but appeared that no security was around/night porter, Disappointed as was very convenient for my early morning flight an would suit my future trips via Dublin airport

Bed very stained so had to sleep on the cover. Neighbouring rooms slamming doors (not a great deal the hotel can do about this though)

Location was perfect for airport and ferry terminal. Dog friendly is a huge bonus as Ireland isn’t the best

Our check in person was rude, the room she put us in wasn’t even cleaned, there was blood on the mattress, it felt like a prison cell, the whole place smelled like smoke, no food service when we arrived... I will never stay at a travelodge again, and urge all others to stay away as well.

Not happy in having to pay for early check in not fair that you expect people to check in after 15:00 when rooms are already ready,it's just a scam.

There was no restaurant or bar in the hotel that you could have a meal at lunchtime or nightime, there was a chipper next door and you could bring food back to the hotel to eat it there. The shuttle bus was quite limited at certain times of the day, there was no shuttle from 9 am to - 5pm during the day. The water in the shower was not hot enough for us, but it was usable. We were staying in the front of the hotel so it was quite noisy the night we stayed. There was only one chair in the room even though it was a triple room and no bedside lamps for reading.

The staff were very friendly and very very helpful. The breakfast in the morning was lovely and very cheap for €5. Nice tea/coffee making facilities in the room plus hairdryer. The shuttle bus drivers were very friendly and helpful. It was convenient for the airport and Santry Sports Clinic.

No bred for first two mornings and was unable to get breakfast until after 7.10 Tuesday morning as not available. Thursday morning was good and as expected.

I was told where to go for the shuttle bus and what time but it wouldn't take me over the snow. It was very unprofessional for the staff not to tell me this on the phone instead they gave me false information and I waited for the bus for almost an hour in the freezing cold. I was also checked into a room that was already occupied.

Comfy

The area is not a happy place, the shuttle wasn't running, the bar wasn't open. Even the taxi driver blanched when I told him where I was going, telling me this is one of the third worst areas in Dublin. Fact is, my flight and every other flight out of Dublin was cancelled, so this was the first thing I could reserve online. I fell for the 'Airport South' tag - it's nowhere near the airport, but it would be the only reason the place exists. Staff were mostly great, but they had little to work with. There is a Chinese takeaway, pizza parlour of a kind, 3 pharmacies and two supermarkets within 1/4 mile; there was a run on the post office within one of those supermarkets while I was there. Don't regard this as anything but a Travelodge/hotel of last resort when all other options are closing in.

Leaving.

The property was easy to find. The staff were lovely, the room spacious; no frills but had everything you need. The underground car park was perfect, and the hotel is only 10 min from the Dublin Airport Blue Carpark! I'd stay again.

Carpet could of been vaccumed better and noise from bar outside was annoying but soon fell asleep

Great location for the airport and staff really friendly, room very nice size

Asked for late check out at 2pm emailed confirmed bokked an no charge also confirmed when we arrived but asked to leave at 12 as said it wasnt booked also when i got home checked my payment and charged £10 extra ??? So not happy about it as longer wait at airport but reception girl was very apologetic about it.

Fabulous staff good links to dublin city centre and airport

The staff could not have been more helpful and knowledgeable. They answered every inquiry we had sincerely and without hesitation as we were not familiar with the area. The car park provided was a God send! Breakfast was lovely, hot and fresh as well as the staff being really nice. Would recommend hotel well over another nearby one we had previously stayed with!!

Nothing. All was good

It was Clean. the staff were lovely when we were checking in. The room was nice, big and clean . Near the airport (€20 in a taxi). Take away next door and you can bring it back to eat.

I think room 402 is suffering from major heat loss due to ill-fitting windows. Not really a problem for me, but the guests cranking up the heating every time might inflate utility costs for the hotel management.

The staff at the reception and at the breakfast buffet were pleasant and extremely helpful at all hours. The room had a nice view, the bathroom was nice, clean and comfortable to use. The room was fitted with EU-type mains sockets alongside Irish ones. Would appreciate balcony access, but was fine without it, too.

Incompetent personell, our room wasn‘t ready when we checked in (around 2pm) and we were sent up to the room only to be sent back down by the cleaning staff to get door entry key for another room which dind‘t work. People who have no clue about the Dublin areas should be advised that Ballymun can be a rough patch.

The room had a bathtub and the beds were quite comfy. 10min drive to the airport.

Reception made a mistake on the checking, I was charged twice double charges And have to wait 10 days to get the money back ,no phone to communicate with the reception and the security guy had to go up to the room many times to try to fix their mistakes on the booking, better organization needed.

When my self my partner friend got to hotel to check in were wore told we had check in already,we then found out sum1 check in in our name wit no id asked for i then questioned d staff at desk. Called police ect no manger around so next moring went looking for a manger told there wud be a manger was told no manger till wednesday staff are not nice atal.The room was dusty bath was dirty towel were not clean. Asked for ice and a juge water to be droped to d room, staff brought papper cups told use drink water from d tap der was no ice

Wen finaly got a sleep tat was it

Rude staff. Distance from airport and the statement they make in regards to low cost cab ride to airport were inaccurate. Cost 20 euro to go "5 minutes" There was also urine in the toilet upon arrival. The shuttle service they offer only runs at "busy" times and they charge you 3 euro per person when the same shuttle stops at two other sites that offer the shuttle for FREE. The shuttle actually took 25 minutes to get us to the airport..not quick at all in my opinion. For the 26 euro to get to and from the airport I'd recommend spending the money on a place that offers free airport shuttle and breakfast.

The room was cold upon arrival. The heat only half worked. The staff was very rude. Otherwise it was comfortable and served a purpose. Won't be going back.

I would like to have had a cosy light next to the bed.

Absolutely convenient for travelling to the airport, and especially the FREE PARKING within the building is a great bonus. It takes only 10 minutes to drive to the Airport. The Bath was lovely relaxing before or after a long trip.

Wall are paper thin so was woken during the night but this is a travel lodge so for the price I could deal with that. Not much options for food, none in hotel, i got a pizza in the end, there a supermarket but no hot food.

Staff were amazing, really helpful & recommended takeaways & restaurant Secure free underground parking was a bonus Close to Airport for early morning flights near botanic gardens

As above

Workmen in what should hav been dinning area brushing dust of floor at 7.30pm. No one to serve and no drinks bar closed. Area is awful dark and i didnt feel safe. Had to go out get drinks and bring food in frm near by cafe. Iv travelled alot world wide and this is not good.

There is no shuttle bus to & from airport/hotel between 9am & 5pm which is very inconvenient.

Good value, friendly staff, very clean and warm.

only one light in the room, the bulb of the one near bed was broken. Lot of cigarette butts to be seen from the window on the balcony. And a dog toy to be seen underneath the bed which means dogs are allowed which is not a good thing when receiving guests

fair good breakfast with fresh fruits, croissants etc. Coffee average. Free inside parking lot is a real plus

Everything was as expected of a three star horel with the bonus off excellent staff!

The reception staff were excellent especially Stewart shannon and Rownan they were incredibly helpful and polite.Well done!

The pillows were incredibly uncomfortable. Not enough staff working in the restaurant at breakfast as tables were left with dirty plates and food/juice at the buffet frequently ran out and had to ask staff for it to be replenished.

Decent location right by a bus stop for travel into Dublin. Large room for the 2 of us and it was very clean.

All the sockets were for foreign plugs. Only one socket to fit our Irish plugs.

Beds were very comfortable Location was perfect for the airport and a quick visit to Ikea Great value for money

Should have had towels bigger than hand towels for the shower. Cleaning could be improved Was a bit cold

Cheap Location near airport Friendly staff

Distance from the centre doesn't explain fully how long it takes to get into the centre public transport relatively expensive and limited choice

Staff where helpful

The internet was slow and the signal was weak at times, the was a lot of street noise.

The room was big, warm and comfortable and came with a kettle and complimentary tea and coffee.