Reviews of Becketts Hotel 3 stars

Cooldrinagh House, Leixlip, Ireland

#2 of 4 hotels in Leixlip

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

lacked the personal touch to deliver a good customer experience.

I arrived at the hotel at around 7.30pm and shown to my room. Unfortunately there was no electric and eventually was transferred to another room. Why was this not checked before I arrived? I was informed food closed at 8pm and they were not prepared to make anything for me after this time. I went to the local pub who closed there food at 8.30pm but actually made me a lovely sandwich, even though I arrived at 9pm! Why could the hotel not do this!!

My bedroom was a good size, clean and comfortable. There was plenty of parking and the continental breakfast was okay.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Would definitely stay here again if visiting Dublin.
    • Suite

I would have preferred a walk in shower in the suite.

Great location and easy to find. Staff were wonderful and the food in the restaurant was superb. Lots of parking on site which is always a plus.

Comfortable, well located facility for a reasonable price.
    • Suite

Old building so plumbing wasn't always reliable. We did go without hot water one morning but they remedied that. I would have appreciated a small library of some maps and brochures of the area.

This is a very well run hotel with extremely hospitable, responsible staff. Our suite was even more spacious and nicer than pictured. The large living room has two comfortable couches that we really used! I didn't realize that Samuel Beckett's mother owned the original house and he was born there! This historical information made our stay even better! Breakfast always included their amazing Irish Soda bread and choices of delicious yogurt with a fresh fruit salad. Dinner menu is good although I am a big salad eater and those choice were slim. My husband had the best lamb he's ever eaten. Desserts...sublime. Since we got wet on one outing, they loaned us umbrellas for the next day. This is a relaxing choice not far from hectic Dublin and the airport. A good place to start out for castles and other wonderful sights if you can manage driving on the left side of the road and traffic circles.

Lovely receptionist gorgeous hotel , would Defo stay again...

Couldn't smoke at the back door also had to ring bell to come back in after smoke

Lovely receptionist gorgeous hotel , would Defo stay again room was very cosy

Super location outside of Dublin

The bed was a little too soft for our taste and too small

The staff was really friendly despite us arriving super late and thé breakfast was great. We really appreciated how calm it was

The hotel is situated within a short drive of Dublin City.

The hotel is situated within a short drive of Dublin City. I was warmly welcomed even though I was a little early for check in. The receptionist rang to see if my room was ready so that I did not have to wait. The parking was excellent as was the reception staff (in fact all the staff were excellent). The food was superb at dinner, a really good restaurant with food and service beyond reproach. I had an early start the next day but the night staff made sure I had a drink and snack before I left even though it was several hours before the restaurant opened for breakfast. Well done to all the staff.

Very nice and cozy place. Quite close to Dublin.

Nice place, pleasant staff and good room. As soon as we have arrived, we have drunk a wonderful guinness even if it was very late; the staff has been fantastic. Very silent and cozy place.

Bed was comfortable, staff were friendly.

When i got to the hotel i asked did they serve sandwiches, i was after an extremely long and busy day and was very hungry. It was around 4.30, food didnt start until 5pm so i said i would just get some crisps in the bar but they didn't have any. They had nothing i could eat so i had to leave to go else where. Breakfast was continental and selection was small. No lift in hotel, i had to climb two steep flights of stairs to get to our rooms, which was fine for me but a nightmare for my mother.

Bed was comfortable, staff were friendly. Hotel was spotless.

Staff very friendly and welcoming.

Would have preferred a cooked breakfast although the continental had good variety

Staff very friendly and welcoming. Room was lovely and clean. Loved the grounds and extra charm of its history

Satisfied

Room too small, so much unnecessary cupboard space which made the floor space smaller, duvet too hot, no lift

Easy parking, comfy bed, great shower, quiet, nice brekkie

A relaxing well situated hotel.

The room was a little small but it's what I paid for. Other residents were a bit noisy but that's not the fault of the hotel.

The evening meal we had was amazing lovely food and plenty of it. We really enjoyed the brown bread as well. The atmosphere was relaxed and the staff were helpful and friendly.

continental breakfast only, basic enough rooms,

breakfast at weekends only starts at 8 am, not early enough if going to Dublin airport

its reasonably close to dublin airport, 30 minute drive on a sunday morning, dont know if it was a weekday with trafic

Restful and comfortable stay.

Too little garden space.

Relaxed atmosphere while meeting my reqirements. Lovely food and outdoors eating option as evening was sunny and warm. Spacious car park.

Apart from the room being fab and the food being so great.
    • Suite

Apart from the room being fab and the food being so great... I am leaving this review solely for the staff. Top genuine service. Raging I didn’t get the gentleman’s name working there, if you ever read this, the reason we stayed again (apart from the great room and restaurant food!) was you. You’re a credit to Becketts and have made both stays there special for us. Thank you

World stay again. Great price through bookings.com

Was locked out on return that night but after a few knocks someone opened up

Nice high ceilings in the room. Nice decor. Good shower. Gentleman on reception very helpful.

Comfortable and relaxing in everyway.
    • Suite

The stairs just to many of them, our room was on the second floor so it was like climbing a mountain.

The beds where comfy and very clean, the room was just delightful and again very clean. The staff are just a plesure to deal with and so accomodating in every way.

Recently spent an overnight stay in Beckett’s hotel in...

Recently spent an overnight stay in Beckett’s hotel in leixlip from the moment you arrive your made to feel welcome staff were excellent very clean rooms...would highly rate this hotel..

The lady who checked us in was so nice!

That breakfast was only continental. I didn’t notice this when I booked it. I just presumed it would be cooked

The lady who checked us in was so nice! Very friendly. Gave us recommendations on what to do, where to go! Hotel was very clean

Excellant

Would have preferred full Irish breakfast.

We stay at Becketts to break our journey from Dublin port to Co Mayo, and being just of the N4 it is a perfect location. We have stayed here several times and the service and the food has been first class. Staff are very friendly, and the hotel is very comfortable. If we are really honest we would prefer a full Irish breakfast rather than the continental, but this would never put us off staying there.

I expected it to be better

The room was small and the bed was not comfortable at all. The TV was small and behind the curtain, which means that you have to keep the curtain open in order to watch TV.

I expected this hotel to be as good as the other hotels I have been to in Ireland, but unfortunately it was below expectations. There was free WiFi and free parking, but the parking is gravel so it's a problem if you have luggage that you would like to pull on their wheels.

Was very clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Was very clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The location itself was beautiful. It was close to where I needed to be. Overall my stay was excellent can't fault one thing.

Adequate but needs some sprucing up

The room and the ensuite were adequate but pokey. Two floors of steps to ascend.

The grounds itself are quite nice & the location in Leixlip was also.

It is a renovated period property which gives it some...

No cooked breakfast and breakfast options very limited. I knew about this but the the property would be capable of serving hot breakfast. There could be a wider choice of breakfast options, particular as cooked breakfast not offered.

It is a renovated period property which gives it some ambience. Easy walking distance to the village where there some nice restaurants and bars.

Brilliant stay with extraordinary staff

There was not much not to like. If I really have to say something, the bathroom is small.

The staff was extremely friendly and pleasant. They absolutely made you feel very welcome and special.

Good value for money.
    • Suite

Continental breakfast was very poor. Not much of a selection. Doesn't correspond with the standard of accomodation.

Rooms are nice, very spacious and comfortable.

Nice hotel with friendly warm atmosphere

The room was very small but served it's purpose. We stayed on a bank holiday Sunday night & didn't realise the hotel was closed on the Monday. Breakfast was croissants, fruit, cereal & cheese; which was nice, but I was looking forward to a full Irish & we weren't aware that wasn't available until we were sitting down & the gentleman taking our order was only providing tea & coffee.

We were at a gig in the Salmon Leap so the location was perfect. Staff were friendly & accommodating.

A short but quiet stay due to a bank ho;iay.
    • Suite

It was a Monday and the restaurant and bar were closed. Had to walk to village close by for evening meal at pub.

Room 10 was amazing, 3 rooms on top floor, great view, comfortable king size bed, quiet as there were few guests. Good breakfast. Good parking. Bus close by_(Route 66) to travel to Central Dublin

Warm, friendly, a convenient location and thoroughly enjoyable.

There is no lift. This was not a problem for us with only hand luggage but it might prove more testing for anyone travelling with large cases.

The setting of the hotel is off the 'beaten track' so to speak and somehow had the feel of a rural French chateau! The welcome was extremely warm and when I first saw the room I was certain that a mistake had been made. We had entered a large studio type room with a high ceiling, a lot of window coverage, a very comfy bed, a comfy sofa, a desk, an en suite of shower, toilet and wash hand basin. Excellent accommodation.

Too many discomforts for an older couple

3rd story, no elevator, narrow stairway, no air, window caulked shut, very hot and humid in our room

The staff, large tub and shower, lots of pillows and towels, large wine selection, old and classic building

Fabalous i will be back
    • Suite

This hotel is certainly a hidden gem. The Staff every member were so pleasant and friendly. Other hotels could learn from these guys. The foid was top class but not expensive. I will be going back

Nice breakfast, cosy room, friendly staff, nice surroundings.

Very small bathroom, plus during the day till late in the night we heard constant noises of plumbings or water running (we stayed on the second floor).

Nice breakfast, cosy room, friendly staff, nice surroundings.

overpriced, poor breakfast, no excuse for no hot water in any hotel. stay somewhere else
    • Suite

Limited range of offerings at the bar, no cocktails, and no bar snacks available. In the morning, the water was cold - so we both had to have a cold showervas we had a function to attend and could not wait for the 'boosters' that they kept mentioning.Very disappointing considering the price we paid. We heard other guests inquiring about the cold water too. The lady that served breakfast explained that when they have a 'full house', then they often run out of hot water in the morning. However, when I asked to speak to the manager he had a different story, he said it was the first time it ever happened. Breakfast was disappointing. On checking out, the lady on the desk was disinterested and unhelpful, only on asking to speak to the manager were the issues dealt with to any degree of satisfaction.

The room was spacious and clean. Bar was open late and the guy that checked us in was friendly and knowledgeable.

Very comfortable, great staff.

The breakfast was poor, we would have liked a cooked breakfast if only scrambled eggs with the smocked salmon. I think a good Irish breakfast would make all the difference to any ones stay.

We will be back

Staff were very friendly, room was fantastic, better than expected. We ended up eating in the hotel both nights as it was so tasty and great value for money.

It was booked as a chill weekend and that it was, no rush, no hassles just pure chill wkd
    • Suite

Hotel was comfortable, very friendly management and staff, food second to none, no complaints - great experience.

Location was excellent, out far enough for no noise, short walk into Leixlip, great beer garden in the Front Bar, weather weekend was like being in Spain.

My PC being down, I asked the staff if I could get...

My PC being down, I asked the staff if I could get assistance to get my boarding pass for the next morning flight. I got them printed in minutes ! 1 st class service !!!

The rooms was spacious and comfortable as were the beds.

At eighty years old I could have used an elevator (lift) to get up to my room...but the staff was very helpful in carrying my bags.

The rooms was spacious and comfortable as were the beds.

Lovely couple of days in the country in a charming “miss marple” hotel.

Nothing really, we enjoyed our stay.

Breakfast good - fresh fruit, yoghurt, croissant, what’s not to like? Coffee grand and husband was more than happy with good choice of cereal and toast and tea. Staff extremely helpful and friendly.

lovely building, clean, great staff. Room location, room size and size of bed an issue.

Room & bed very small (room 2). Couldn't adjust heating, so opened window and it was above where all the smokers congregate. Hence, a room filled with cigarette smell! Also, very noisy as it's above the entrance and everyone leaving the hotel after a meal made for a noisy stay.

The staff were very welcoming & friendly at all times.

Dreadful

Deadful place - noisy, doors banging most of the night, the smoking area was below our room and on a hot night we had to close our window to try to get to sleep. Rooms are too small / cramped, bed very uncomfortable and it was the worst breakfast offering we've ever had at any hotel or B&B.

Friendly welcoming staff, excellent food

It's an old house so there is bound to be the odd hiccup (a short power cut one morning), but nothing serious

Staff could not do enough for us and made us all very welcome. Breakfast was very good despite no cooked breakfast offered (which we knew about). Food in the restaurant was excellent. Location is ideal for the airport or onward travel west and south.

Lovely stay

Easy check in and out. Staff are lovely. Room was nice and cosy. Everything clean, nice shower. Plenty of sugar, tea, coffee and a few chocolates ☺ heat was easy to control.

Nice hotel, pity about the lack of sound insulation.

Zero sound insulation between my room and the one next to me. Could literally hear every word being said (among other sounds) - it was like being in the room with them. For this reason alone, I couldn’t recommend the hotel, which is a pity as it’s nice and ticks the boxes in all other regards.

Nice small hotel just off the M4/N4, great location. Hotel room had a nice decor and was comfortable.

A very comfortable stay.

We used Becketts as a stopover on our way to Co Mayo. We met relations from Dublin there for a meal, which was excellent and a great evening was had by all.

Very good value for money and the restaurant was buzzing, a real bonus!

We were a little surprised that there was no cooked breakfast but that was my error as I hadn't read the small print on the booking. The lady taking care of breakfast was very accommodating and provided gluten free bread and smoke salmon which was very welcome.

We stayed for one night as my husband had an exam to do nearby. We had a fantastic meal in the restaurant - steaks were top quality. The room was nicely decorated and spotless.

The character and the atmosphere will bring me back to...

The character and the atmosphere will bring me back to Beckett’s again and again. The personal approach, the delicious menu, and the quaintness of a real room key, such a lovely change from perfectly plush impersonal soul-less top rated hotels.

Nice pity bout wifi

The wifi is really bad cuts in and out If you need wifi access for work related stuff wud suggest a different hotel

Nice location food great and rooms are nice

Visiting for a family reunion.

This hotel is well maintained, my brother and I had a lovely spacious twin room. Staff are very welcoming, friendly and can't do enough for their guests. I would definitely return to this hotel. You won't be disappointed.

Pleasant

Our room was very cold! There is a problem with their double glazing/windows that needs to be addressed!

Nice atmosphere, staff very friendly and helpful. Food excellent!

brilliant! We'll definitely stay there again.
    • Suite

No lift, but it is an historic building.

We stayed in a suite, and it was perfect. We were snowed in during storm Emma and looked after really well by the night porter Paddy. He made our experience enjoyable and fun. Restaurant is very good.

Beckett's

The room was a bit cold at night time and on the small side. no cooked breakfast.it said breakfast included but it was only a continental breakfast.there was no Budweiser or carlsberg on tap.

The staff were friendly and obliging.we had a very good dinner in it.

Understated beauty&quality. .relaxing peaceful
    • Suite

No tap for drinking water,kettle had some scale in it Bit these things didn't affect my overall view,it was lovely

So quiet,welcoming staff, beautifully furnished Very helpful Soft colours

Great for a short stay

Hard to find anything to complain about.

The hotel is comfortable and clean. The staff were also friendly and I liked that when they asked my Surname at check-in they knew my first name without looking very friendly approach. I have stayed here before and would again.

We will definitely return when we next visit our granddaughter.

A couple of little things. Nice big bath towels please! Also maybe a small packet of biscuits with the tea and coffee?

Just about everything! Our suite was outstanding. The staff brilliant. Food delicious. It was within easy access to our relatives in Leixlip. My husband normally likes the full cooked breakfast but he raved on about the delicious ham and had to admit the Continental breakfast was lovely. We had a 4 course meal with our relatives on the Sunday - everyone enjoyed it!

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

Staff were extremely friendly.

Bathroom was a little bit dated and no water in the room but not a big deal.

Staff were extremely friendly. Check in and welcome were great. Reception area was lovely. The room we had was really big and spacious. Also had dinner in the restaurant which was lovely.

Friendly staff, clean and cozy.

The room was a bit on the small size, but good for a business trip :)

Breakfast was delicious, room was clean and cozy. The staff was really friendly and nice.

Nice hotel, nice restaurant, but a terrible cheap continential breakfast and dissapointing

The breakfast was a huge disappointment, Becket's has a beautiful restaurant and very good facilities, so why oh why sever a second rate Continental breakfast !! We paid €122 for one night and to get up before a long drive back to Galway and face a miserable , poorly stock continental breakfast was a big disappointment. We had to check out and go elsewhere for a decent breakfast.. very poor,

The hotel itself is nice, the rooms clean, warm and comfortable .

Really lovely , homely welcoming place for a break

Room was quite small looks bigger on website

Colin the Manager was so welcoming nothing was too much trouble . We arrived too early but we're kindly given given our keys and made to feel at home .The resteraunt food is delicious The welcome is what you notice most nothing is too much trouble .

Staff v friendly and evening dinner very goof

The room was very small,I stayed here before but the room was much more luxurious and comfortable. Bed linen ,duvets and pillows not too a very high standard.

Staff v friendly and evening dinner very goof

Better food would have made a pleasant stay.

Dinner started fantastically with both of us agreeing the starters were up to the best we have had- Tempura prawn and crab tian. Mains were a disaster. Poor lighting made it difficult to read the menu and I missed that the duck breast was Chinese cured and not fresh, it was stringy and not a good flavour (€4) supplement too! and the crispy Irish pork belly was far from crispy! And very stringy and little flavour served on mashed potato which was warm, not hot. (€2) supplement. Vegetables were very ordinary and not really hot either. We left around 90% of both mains. Sweets were excellent , cheesecake and creme brûlée. When asked if the main was okay we stated 'no, the pork was not crispy and quite stringy and I accepted blame for not seeing that the duck breast was not fresh duck. The server informed me that the duck couldn’t be served pink as it was pre cooked Chinese style and the waitress who later asked was told the pork was not good as it was not crispy or hot and stringy and chewy. She just said 'sorry about that' and did not even offer an exchange dish. This spoilt an otherwise very pleasant stay. Dinner B&B cost c. €185 - € 92 just B&B and we would have been pleased overall except for the shoddy treatment over the meal.

Smallish, but lovely room, with nice ensuite and the bed was comfy. Very clean and warm.

Exceeded our expectations in every way.

We liked everything, from the very helpful staff, the comfortable room, to the delicious meal that we were able to book there for 14 family and friends from the area

The room was clean.

Noise from pub and restaurant downstairs, too many cars around the hotel - hard to find space to park, narrow stairs to go to the hotel rooms, staff (only one woman) was too busy with restaurant visitors. Very slippery shower. It was hard to find this hotel.

The room was clean.

Staff were friendly.

Stairs a bit steep.

Staff were friendly. Accommodation good. Location suited my purpose and was better value than my destination in maynooth just 6km away.

Could be better

The man who receive us in late evening upon arrival. Not friendly at all.Feels like stepping in a dormitory😕

The breakfast spread and then the lady who attended to us in the morning.

An insider tip, close enough to city and far enough away to enjoy the countryside

The only thing which was a pity, breakfast was only available until 9:30am which we constantly missed - due to a late wake up from us, BUT therefore we got really good lunch instead ;-)

The Staff was brilliant, the room very comfortable and the food awesome. As they have a night-porter even arriving in the middle of the night was no issue. Getting in late, we also got up quite late, but the staff still checked on our room for cleaning after we left for the day. We have felt very welcome and very well looked after. Even on Dinner time they did some off the menu course, which was actually part of the lunch menu. They also provided allergical-info about the food. The beds where like a gift of heaven - not to soft nor to hart. - Just writing about the hotel I want to go back there immediately.

Just the fan not working in bathroom nothing else.

Very beautiful hotel, just a little bit too far out of Dublin but very nice. The restaurant has a very good chefs as the food

Small personable hotel. Clean and stylish.

Toilet Seat Lose/Toilet Roll holder broken. No Lift (older building) so luggage was a haul. Breakfast serving starts at 8am on weekends!

Very comfortable and well laid out room. Staff were very helpful.

Peaceful , relaxing

would have loved a full irish for breakfast but unfortunately only continental breakfast served.

Rooms were beautiful ,clean and very comfortable . Staff were really nice . Building itself is beautiful and the area. Sadly we only spent the night here ,will certainly be back for a couple of nights , with the kids this time .

Great Value Accommodation outside of Dublin City.
    • Suite

Our room was great. We took a bus to Dublin from the end of the street. Staff were helpful when we asked for information. Breakfast was adequate, cereal ,toast, fruit , yoghurt (delicious). Ham or Smoked salmon offered also. The village nearby had restaurants and a great bakery. All within walking distance.

Hidden gem

The genuine warm welcome from Sinead who was so friendly and helpful. Great location just off the main road yet very quiet and peaceful. The room and en-suite were very clean and comfortable as was the dining room and bar area. The breakfast was excellent. We should have booked the restaurant in advance as it was very busy, always a good sign

Unique place with so much to offer.

I love Becketts, a really lovely quaint place. Lovely rooms which are very clean and well equipped. Minimal breakfast which was fine for me. Fantastic food in evening in dining room. There's no lift if anyone has mobility issues. Would recommend 👍

Just what we needed at the end of our trip...relaxation and great food!
    • Suite

We woke early to catch plane and there was no hot water. Evidently they shut it down at night and then turn on at 6am (did not have time to warm up before we took showers). Would have been nice to know beforehand so we could have let them know so they would turn on earlier.

Restaurant was great. Only has 10 rooms on property so very quite. Decor was beautiful and relaxing.

The staff were so friendly and welcoming.

The staff were so friendly and welcoming. Excellent customer service. The decor was modern and in keeping with the building and the rooms were beyond our expectations.

Nice old building, plenty of parking.

Wifi doesn't work at all and they are not even trying to fix it. Breakfast is limited. Had spiders in the room.

Nice old building, plenty of parking.

lts a beautiful manor house steeped in history, short distance to Dublin City Motorway & Airport

Didnt like the fact I couldn't stay on for another day or 2

We had fresh Salmon & homemade brown bread with freshly brewed coffee great way to start the day 😉