Reviews of Bellbridge House Hotel 3 stars

Spanish Point,Miltown Malbay, Spanish Point, Ireland

#6 of 6 hotels in Spanish Point

6.2

This hotel was beautiful! Comfortable beds, great restaurant and bar. Breakfast every morning had everything you could want. The service was great and the staff helpful and friendly. We hated to leave!

Perhaps my bad luck to be there on one of theirs irregular "'music nights" but staff under pressure and much vaunted "locally sourced catch of the day" amounted to poor quality breaded "cod" while the chicken curry was some bits of chivken in a packet mix of a type I thought had disappeared in the 1970s. I hope this was an "off night"

Fine location right on WAA.

Only that it was a bit ‘busy’ for me.

A good, but very busy hotel, as it’s location on the coast would suggest. It must be a non stop whirlwind of bookings, but the staff seemed to cope very well. A long walk to the room from reception, but on one level, so no problem! Good value for money though. The food was good, but not exceptional, but with the numbers catered for, not surprising. So, a good hotel for the weary traveller, but I would not book a whole week there. That is only my opinion, as I prefer quieter places with not so many people!

The only thing I didn't like was there was no proper conditioner first world problem 😀

The rooms were very comfy especially the bed. The staff went out of their way to make you comfortable. The hake I had first night to die for 😳

Brown bread at breakfast stale impossible to open windows in bedroom room like an oven at night because 24 degrees in daytime windows need cleaning

Staff very friendly room very clean

Shame wifi only available in public areas.

We chose to eat at the hotel every evening - bar and restaurant food is excellent ... good choice, served promptly, huge portions (beware!). Bar/restaurant staff so friendly and helpful, real Irish hospitality.

The bed was very soft and not that comfortable, room was at the back of hotel so no view.

The location was very good, close up the nearby villages and plenty of parking available.

One little complaint, more a suggestion. The outdoor Ashtray boxes should be emptied more often, totally full through out the stay and catching fire.

The price, The Room, The Staff

Rooms a little dated. No coat hooks in room. Not enough hangers for clothes. No soap/shampoo tray in shower cubicle. Water from bathroom taps was scalding hot

Friendly staff, great bar, food good, great views

The staff were extremely efficient and very friendly. They went out of their way to please every guest. Everything runs like clockwork. The food was delicious.

WiFi only available in the bar and foyer which was not made clear til I rang reception. Problem with Telly was brought to their attention but not solved.

Location and quiet of the hotel. Also v clean

would like shower unit as I have trouble climbing in and out of bath, think it is dangerous., also would like hand shower to test water as I have scalded myself on occasion with rain shower.

bed very comfortable, staff very pleasant and helpful, and very important for my budget it was reasonably priced.

There was nothing we did not like.

We have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions and we always enjoy our stay. The food is excellent and very generous portions. We like that the same staff are there year on year, which I think tells a lot about a hotel and the way it is run. Very attractive hotel outside and inside. Lovely location for walks. Every member of staff we came across was very friendly and ready to assist.

No WiFi in room Curtains in bathroom dirty Water supply problem (external to hotel) meant water was undrinkable. Hotel knew but did not offer clean drinking water until individually asked.

Very attentive restaurant staff

Single room, very small room cold on arrival but when requested heat turned on

Location friendly staff good food portions very generous,views from hotel amazing.

Views were amazing, location is epic just could have done with a working shower.. No wifi in the rooms but you can get it downstairs.

The room was amazing but no hot water so no shower throughout our stay! We could have moved room in the morning we were told around midnight..but we had a really early check out :-/ Would love to go back but..if they could offer washing facilities. Its what you need after hiking in Clare!

The only negative point was the heating. It was too hot. And it could be only controlled through reception. I called reception twice to reduce it but still it didn't help. The third time I asked to switch it off completely and i was told that the heating for few rooms are connected (which sounded very weird to me) so they can switch it off for at most 30 mins. So they did that and after that not sure if they switched it on back or not but it was fine then and we were able to sleep comfortably.

The location was good, just beside the sea. Very nice decor for it's standard. Amazing breakfast and service. The room was spacious with all the amenities. Comfortable twin beds. Spacious bathroom with bathtub. Not too far from Cliffs of Moher.

Internet only works in lobby, could do with a booster or two plugged in different parts of hotel.

The Hotel was closed because of Blizzard when i arrived after midnight, but Dave the assistant manager let me in ( thank god ) and made me very welcome. Lovley Hotel and excellent food.

Room got stuffy in middle of night and as a result couldn’t sleep properly Tv sound wasn’t great

Room is spacious Wonderful view and location Great entertainment and venue

My friends and family visited for my birthday and enjoyed every minute there . Thank you David and all you're wonderful team !! You so made it very special .

Such a nice relaxing experience we had at the Bellbridge. The staff went way above and beyond to make us feel welcome. Every aspect of the stay was excellent. The breakfast was delicious, freshly cooked. The room was cozy and spotlessly clean. The manager Derek even gave me a lift to collect my car the next day as the taxi he tried to order me was going to be a long time. I can't actually fault this place whatsoever, highly recommend this place for a relaxed stay minutes from the roaring waves of the Atlantic. We will definitely be staying here again, no question. Thanks for a wonderful break, keep up the good work.. 5 stars.

Staff were so bad regarding dinner, food was not nice and staff not experienced but manager was lovely

Single room had a double bed which was not expected and lovely

It would be good if there was wifi in all of the hotel rooms particularly for children. There was free wifi but only in the lobby area.

The room was comfortable and warm. There was a good selection for breakfast. My daughter particularly liked the fresh pancakes.

If you have any mobility issues, ask for a ground floor room, the access to the second floor is only by a single staircase which is very steep and could have a stronger light over it.

The room was very warm and comfortable with a double bed and lovely view over the coastline. It had an ensuite with a bath too. As a single traveller I usually get a tiny room with a shower unit, so this bedroom exceeded my expectations. I stayed B&B . The breakfast has to be one of the best in the country - a freshly prepared buffet style with plenty of options for special diets. Cosy lounge area with an open fire and views out over the sea .

Shower did not work properly...dial to change from hot to cold water was broken. It was fixed during our stay so that was good. €12 for breakfast was a bit expensive.

Staff are very good. Really like the bar in the hotel. We had a triple room and it was really big so that was great.

Nothing everything was great

The full Irish breakfast as very good, we also had a meal in the bar on the day we arrived which was excellent,The woman who took our order one served us our meal was very friendly and welcoming.

Breakfast was a little disappointing. Plenty of selection but somewhat tasteless

Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Check in was efficient. Cosy hotel.

We requested a sea view... we did not get it ..I would have understood if they had none vacant..But all sea view apt were vacant on the 16/12/2017..that was my only negative about the hotel...

Everything about this hotel is homely...

Rooms are a bit dated and bed was small compared to other more modern hotels

Ideal location for what I needed. Friendly and helpful staff, Great food in the restaurant

A very typical place, such a decoration. Original, classy, warm and so comfortable. There is a bar and a very good restaurant in the hotel. Breakfast was great in another beautiful room. The room was spacious and we had a bath in the bathroom, very nice.

If you are gong to be out all day and just sleeping there okay for the money. However if you are going to spending more time there might want to consider a hotel with more amenities./action. Restaurant/ bar although nice -closed at 9, no WiFi in rooms. Low power hairdryer. Clean but could updating-very basic. Small rooms -double bed the largest.

Location was nice -Spanish Point area. Clean. Restaurant was nice. Staff friendly.

Very noisy all night - could constantly hear people on the steps, hallways above our room, talking outside our room, closing doors etc. - I should stress that this was at a very off-peak time too - there were probably only 8-10 cars in the carpark so I would hate to stay there in peak periods! Consistently found that cutlery/crockery was not clean - often had to check through a few pieces before we could find one that the dishwasher had actually cleaned properly.

Good food on site in restaurant - both for dinner and breakfast. Check-in/out was easy and fuss-free. Plenty of parking on site and set right beside the ocean. Decent shower and large room size.

I was put in room 47 which is a single room. It was too narrow. The toilet was too close to the wall and I couldn't sit straight on it. There was no bedside locker. The wardrobe couldn't open fully. The room was cold on arrival. The television sound was very poor quality and couldn't be heard clearly. The shower was very small and I was banging my elbows off the walls. Don't accept room 47 if it is offered.

everything was perfect

Beautiful hotel, we arrived on a very wet and cold night and the hotel was so warm and inviting. Th e room was lovely and cosy. very clean and excellent staff. The bed was very comfortable. I would highly recommend this hotel and will be staying again. Thank you for a lovely nights stay

Stunning location in scenic west Clare. Luxurious hotel with spacious well appointed bedrooms with cosy feel. Very friendly staff and tasty food. A wonderful stay!

Small bottleneck between bed and furniture at end of bed, not a major issue. The hotel not use fitted bottom sheet so it goes all over the place.

fish on breakfast menu yummy, absolutely lovely staff...

Aside from finding it weird they served mushroom with pancakes, nothing.

It has that friendly vibe you wouldn't get in most fancier hotels. It was cosy and welcoming with a sincere hint of intimacy. It had character too. Like stepping into a past with more values.

There was a cobweb hanging over the bed when we arrived, that should really have been picked up on by the cleaners! I think the whole place could do with a bit of a revamp, the room smelled a bit damp and a lot of it looked like it hadn’t been updated since the 1980s!

The staff were very nice, the bar is lovely, the location was great.

The room could be cleaned better on the lockers ans the tv table.Would like to have a bath in shower room .The windows were very drafty .

Food was great and the staff so nice and friendly especially manager John.

Very little staff on the Sunday night Tables not cleared of drinks and glasses Toilets were terrible no toilet roll For a bank holiday weekend not good enough Also 2 young lads behind the bar that had not a clue

Food staff

We stay at this hotel every year now for about 15 years, this time we had to move to another room due to a really bad Mattress in room 49. No problem staff moved us immediately. Didn't like the Sausages.

Excellent food , in fact I'd go as far as to say, the roast Lamb is the best ever.

Nothing all good.

Excellent food, friendly staff and a great location. Have stayed numerous times at the Bellbridge and I am looking forward to staying again.

We stayed on the ground floor and there was a lot of noise from above. Also - my room was the first in the hallway from the communal lounge and I could hear hoovering during the night, a more sound proof door may be better to separate it.

Rooms were all really big - we had 3 rooms in total. The communal lounges were very warm with an open fire lit from morning till late

my room was the size of my closet...yes..it was a single room...the thing that bothered me is that the hotel was almost empty ...my friend and i like the hotel...i have stayed there many times over the last 10 years...i felt i should have been upgraded to a little nicer room

i love the bar and food staff...many good employees at the hotel....

Paintings and furnishings

Very clean, comfortable, rather old-fashioned furnishings, pretty ghastly paintings, but it's a very pleasant place to stay - staff are friendly without being intrusive, the food in the bar is absolutely delicious and great value, with great choice - recommend roast chicken or lamb. The hotel is in a wonderful setting on the edge of Spanish Point beach.

No heat in the bathroom I couldn't shower. Had to wash at a hand basin in the bedroom. Very loud guests overhead my room. Floor was creaking overhead and I could literally hear everything they were saying. Also the water was a dark brown colour in the taps and toilet

The cleanliness of the room and the location of the hotel

The water in the toilet,shower and taps are a brown colour. The double bed is too small and very uncomfortable. We stayed in a room on the ground floor and could not sleep with the noise. Phoned the nightporter numerous times and there was no improvement.

Food variety wasn't great, food wasn't hot enough,and the served French fries insteado of home made chips

Bed was snug,staff friendly,scenery was good

Not enough footpath to walk safely to beach...Clare Co.Co. issue! Windows in bedroom could have been a little cleaner.

Very homely....(or as Americans say homey!). No fuss - very relazing. Staff welcoming and obliging. It would be a bonus if Clare Co Co improoved pathway from seafront to the hotel - esp corner near Lodge.. so that children and older people are not walking on the road. Bellbridge itself very comfortable.

Food and staff

Rooms need a bit of upgrading. Staff are fabulous, very accommodating and friendly. They made pancakes for the kids every morning which went down a treat and they even made me one when I requested it, they were delicious. Food was excellent in the hotel and well priced. No pool, playground or kids clubs to entertain children. Nice hotel that could be wonderful with room redesign and modernisation

Poor wifi access which was disappointing.but not huge problem for someone on vacation but would be if business trip

Very quaint place, nice staff, nice view, good location for area in Clare. Enjoyed bar atmosphere with traditional Irish music in the evening

Evening meal 'specials' abit repetitive.

Staff very friendly and helpful. Very good selection for breakfast. Relaxing and comfortable seating areas. Excellent location and views.

Could do with internet in the rooms.

Stayed here a few times. Always comfortable, beds lovely. We had a large family room which was great. Buffet breakfast was fine.

We had to argue / fight for the price agreed with you. They insisted that we owed them 30 euros more. I am still furious, it marred our lovely stay

The bed was just fab.breakfast was nice.

I was very disappointed with the wi-fi that it wasn't in the bedrooms, and it was very poor where it was suppose to be. Other than that everything else was ok.

Good breakfast

Nothing- it was perfect location- great location to base from to travel around the county.

The food was amazing, large portions and great value for money. The staff were all happy and couldn't do enough- fantastic hotel.

The room, although big, was dark, dated and had poor lighting.

The location, a short walk to the beach, is ideal. There is a seating area, both inside and outside the hotel, where you can relax with a book, without having to be in the bar area. The staff were all very friendly.

The location is a little isolated. There are some trails nearby, but the access requires walking along a major road without a sidewalk.

The room was very comfortable and the breakfast was great!

Our room was a bit "quaint"

The staff was so friendly and wonderful. The food at the restaurant was delicious! The hotel is located right near some beautiful scenic views and a lovely beach that you can walk to.

The mattress was worn and felt like we were sleeping on a bunch of springs. We did not get good rest here. To add to the problem, there was live music beneath our room until 12:40am. We called at 10:00 pm to ask about the music and told it would go until 11pm. When we called at 11, we were told it would last only last another hour. If you desire rest after your travels and to prepare for another day of travel thereafter, we would not recommend this hotel. Additionally, the wifi is only available at the front desk. It does not extend to the rooms.

The staff was very friendly

The breakfast was not included in the room price and cost 12 euros per person extra. We were not happy with this at all.

The food was excellent and the staff were very helpful and friendly.

Small bed. Shower poor. Noise from the bar at night, problematic if trying to have an early night. Ask for a room to the back.

Great staff, so helpful. Excellent food. Extremely clean.

There was very little not to like. The room lighting could be a bit better. It was difficult putting on makeup. Nothing major

The staff were helpful & friendly. The breakfast was very good. For the location I thought it was good value for money

The wifi was absolute crap Only available in reception and bar But if more than three people were on wifi then absolute crap The lack of wifi spoilt stay for me because my partner was in India for family holiday and I couldn't keep in contact

Breakfast fine Bar food fine Room fine

I thought breakfast was included with booking.com but the receptionist showed me email from booking.com I still feel I booked including breakfast

Warm athmosphere

There was quite a lot of disturbance from the wedding that was on as guests were going to bed. I'm no prude - I've attended plenty weddings and gone to bed (very) late, but one incident in particular with lots of very aggressive roaring and shouting lasted for 30-45 minutes and resulted in the Gardai (Police) being called. I didn't complain about this on checkout - What could the hotel do? However, I thought it poor that the hotel neither acknowledged it nor apologised for it, despite me overhearing a "casual / jokey" conversation about it with another guest at checkout.

Good location. Ample parking, even with a wedding. Staff are very friendly. Great breakfast.

In my opinion it equals, if not betters, any accommodation in which I have stayed over the years.

I stayed in a single bedroom and everything about it was first class.

Unfortunately we stayed at the hotel at a busy time and our room was in front by the bar and restaurant area. There was a party happening and the walls were very thin so we didn't get much sleep. There was also no wifi in individual rooms; it was only in the lobby/restaurant area. The room was clean and the location was easy to get to.

Sone entertainment on the Sunday night would have been nice. We had to go to the village

We were upgraded to a sea view room with complimentart bottle of wine and a free breakfast due to a bad experience on 1st night when another guest in hotel got outof control roaring & shouting in the early hours following a wedding at hotel. He had to be removed by Gardai

Could have done with a drying room for wet golf clothing and clubs to dry out.

Breakfast was excellent, Dinner in the restaurant was even better, Service from polite friendly staff was fantastic. Will definitely return soon.

Rooms were dated- could do with redecorating/freshening up. Double glazed windows badly need replacing - huge gap between window & frame when closed resulting in strong draft entering room from outside, this caused curtains to move, cold air getting in & constant load whistling noise. Noise was keeping us awake during night so had to stuff toilet paper in gap which stopped most of breeze & noise. Temperature ok in room but doubt this would case in winter months.

Staff extremely friendly & helpful, location amazing, ample parking. Beautiful sea view from room.

The breakfast was good they had a nice hot food selection but poor continental selection, some scones/pastries would be nice and a better selection of fresh fruit, granola, yoghurt.

The location was perfect, very clean rooms and the hotel had a lovely bar and restaurant.

Just a little too far away from any kind of night life or alternative food places, near town about a 3 mile walk (taxi), not ideal for Motorcyclists who want to rest up after a days riding but a great place nonetheless

Very nice place with great outlook.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Staff in the restaurant was really pushy for us to order as we wanted to enjoy our first drinks. Also all the staff passing by our empty pre drink glasses without clearing them was frustrating as the table was quite small for 4 people. I would say the person who seemed to be the restaurant manager definitely saw us struggling with the space but must have thought that that wasn't his job.

Really good stay overall, nice and comfy bedroom. Food was really tasty in the restaurant. Really good breakfast too

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Breakfast on the second day big queue and not enough food for people in terms of the full English only .The first day there was loads and it was really good.

The room was clean and cosy. The location was really good as its close to the beach. Bar staff were excellent and I am not sure what the young gentlemans name was but he was better then the waiting staff and very attentive. (Give him a pay rise :) ). Food was delicious I had dinner there one night in the bar and can recommend the chicken kiev and also the sticky toffee pudding. I left my charger in the room and they held it in reception for me. Good price too for two nights.