Reviews of Bush Hotel 3 stars

Main Street, Carrick on Shannon, Ireland

#2 of 6 hotels in Carrick on Shannon

Excellent location, friendly staff. Great room. We were in a 3 bedded room and it was comfortable, very clean and spacious. Great breakfast service that allows for a nice sleep in. Very central location for murtaghs, Dunne’s bar and restaurants. Parking available.

Nothing. I cant fault the hotel.

Met a young staff member on the way in and he helped my Mum with her bags (she wasn't able to carry it). He was so nice. We had a lovely spacious room. Very friendly lady on reception who recommended a gorgeous local restaurant for us also.

Single room small and noisy at front of hotel Expect some noise at weekends from hen parties returning in early hours

Excellent location God sized well furnished double rooms.

Only stayed one night and for that period it was just great.Not sure whether a week would change that view.

Location was great just a short walk to the main activities.

I could not find a fault anywhere

The table and chair in room. The difference of working not shoved up on a tiny space next to the. Other good things: The ironing and pants press,the hot water, the breakfast for vegetarians, the front desk and waitering staff. All excellent!

The staff were great to deal with we were checking in when we realised we were late for our event and the staff brought our bags to the room so as not to delay us. Everyone was friendly and pleasant to deal with. A real pleasure to stay here.

There was no heating in the room I booked several weeks earlier. At no stage even though I complained at 3am when I could not sleep. I wore all my clothes to bed and took cover off spare bed. The temp outside was -2. I t was the most uncomfortable night I ever spent in a Hotel. The Hotel Owner/manager told me it was my own fault as I did not complain enough! He still insisted I pay for my stay with a small reduction. I feel very insulted, have the days when 'the customer was right' gone??? at the very least I would have expected to be offered another night free at the very least. I was not even offered a meal seeing I had paid for breakfast(as I had very little sleep and missed the morning meal). I have prepared a more extensive report to Bord Failte and certainly not recommend this hotel to anyone with the nasty attitude of owner.

The food looked good, nice friendly Staff, well located and very clean thank you!

Room had a lot of dampness on the wall looked like leaks from above ,the windows had no security all catches were broken ,shower was a bath shower no comfort we both sloped in the bath trying to have a shower,

Breakfast and staff were gud.

Nothing,,,,,,

The Staff are wonderful especially Dee on Reception but all are great, warm, welcoming and professional.. the hotel is spotless,, with such a great history the place is a treasure trove itself,,,, I look forward to my next visit,,,,,

I LIKED THE WELCOME THAT WE GOT WHEN WE ARRIVED WE WERE EARLY FOR OUR CHECK IN AND OUR ROOM WAS NOT READY, AND IT WAS NO PROBLUM THE LADY GIVE US ANOTHER ROOM THAT WAS READY AND IT WAS BEAUTFULL EVERYTHING ABOUT THE HOTEL WAS LOVELY Andrea.

absolutely nothing.

beds very comfortable, the staff made it extra special, they couldn't do enough for you. it was a pleasure , only sorry we weren't staying longer. maybe next time.

Not enough towels. Only one bath towels for two people sharing. however I know that they would have probably sorted it out if we had noticed it before we were in the shower ? ?

The bed was comfortable and the room was warm but not stuffy so we had a good night's sleep.

Breakfast was ok. There was no milk alternative available eg soy/almond and the staff didn’t make an effort to accommodate the request ,it was a flat no.Apart from that I couldn’t fault the place.

The only negative side would be the hotel had no entertainment or music available.

Hotel is situated right in middle of town so was convenient 2 all amneties with easy access + walking distance 2 shops, bars etc.

The handle fell off the door on the inside, but it didn't bother us too much so we didn't notify the staff until check out. The noise of the fan in the bathroom is quite annoying to say the least. You can hear every guest around you going to the bathroom... A separate switch to turn it on/off would've come in handy. On arrival the room was very cold. It did warm up eventually but as we left the room for about half an hour, we came back and the radiator was cold again. And then again it warmed up. Little things that could've made the stay so much more pleasant but not too unpleasant for us not be back again soon!

Great location, friendly staff, lovely room, and tasty breakfast!

Very friendly welcome on arrival. Room large and clean. Comfortable bed. Free Wi-Fi. Excellent cooked breakfast. Easy to access off the main road - N4.

no complaints.

The staff we very friendly, courteous and helpful. As we were only there overnight we did not have time to use all facilities. the breakfast was excellent. We would like to return again in the future.

No space. Towels all small. Windows looking across the street into other windows hence the need to have blinds down all the time. Room too small. Good breakfast 😀

Room very small

Breakfast serves till 10pm. Then you can go into the coffee shop for breakfast till 11.30, which is great! They Do full Irish but no scrambled egg 🙁

Clean warm hotel! Great location. Right in the heart of the town.

It's a family-run country hotel and they do that very well. You can request to stay in either the original refurbished hotel or the newly built extension, depending on your preference. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are quiet. By the third day, they even knew our breakfast preferences!

Food in the hotel was very good and reasonably priced in the attached cafe. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. I would happily stay here again.

EXCELLENT LOCATION AND HOTEL WAS SUPERB. STAFF WERE WELCOMING AND HELPFUL AND BREAKFAST WAS WELL SERVED AND EXCELLENT FOOD. WOULD THROUGHLY RECOMMEND BUSH HOTEL TO ANYBODY. VERY GOOD VALUE AND A HOTEL I LOOK FORWARD TO USING AGAIN.

Unfortunately someone set off the fire alarm at 5.45am which was a shame. Also there was a group in for a private dinner and they had drinks in the bar/bistro before their dinner. This coincided with our meal which took from the enjoyment as the noise level was deafening. Perhaps in the future these sort of groups could have their pre-dinner drinks in the other bar which was empty.

I have stayed here many times and everything is always 100%. The food is excellent and the staff couldn't be more attentive.

View from room 66 was grim old rubbish like an old fridge dumped out back. Some bottled water in the rooms would be nice.

Room was huge and tv channels good. Breakfast service excellent good fry the next morning! Parking we were lucky got a spot right outside door.

Everything was was lovely, the only fault I had was that there wasn't enough pillows, and that's only minor. I really enjoyed my stay.

Breakfast was lovely, everything cooked perfectly, had to compliment the chef for the meal, it was absolutely perfect, staff were lovely the place was amazing, exactly what I wanted.

• Superior Twin Room

This was out 6th stay .last time I booked a twin got a horrible family room .this time I upgraded to superior twin git a family room againwas nice but overall I was dissapointed.

The bed was very hard .booked a superior Twin got a nice family room .

There are a number of points to note before booking here. The hotel "parking" consists of about 11 car spaces, about 3 disabled spaces and 1-2 electric charging spaces. The other option for parking is down from the hotel in a public car park in which you may or may not be lucky to find a space. I found one - at the furthest end of this car park. I managed through checking outside every so often to get a hotel"space" later on in the evening. It was a beautiful day but there was nowhere to sit outside - there is a patio area overlooking grass but no chairs/tables. I saw a heap of plastic chairs at the back of hotel and used one of those. I realise that this is an open area as there are no private grounds in the sense that it is sort of on a public thoroughfare but even fencing would be a help. I had dinner in the Bistro - uninspiring. The room was small, dark and oppressive. The window was jammed open so there was no hope of dulling the racket from stag and hen parties which went on until after 4am on the streets of Carrick not to mention the family reunion which seemed to be taking place below me. It felt a bit like sleeping on the street in Temple Bar. The bathroom was tiny with hardly room to turn. The lights and sockets behind the bed were not working. I could have complained about window, lights on the night but really I was so tired that it wasn't worth it. Nothing short of triple glazing would deaden the noise. On checking out a total of 10euro was deducted from the room rate - perhaps in view of my mention of lighting situation!

My luggage was brought up to my room and from reception to my car the next morning.

Very dated room, small but was okay for one night, small tv, price of pint was expensive in hotel bar.

Breakfast had great selection, location very central and available parking at no extra cost, toiletries (shower gel) were very nice

I didn't like the fact there is mould in the bathroom on the walls. There was no hot water for a shower. The walls are in bad condition dirty and paint peeling off.

The beds were great and the food and staff.

Although scrupulously clean and with all the basic comforts, the room was a bit on the outdated side, with plain decoration, basic tea/coffee facilities, a tiny TV. I know it's an older building, but I expected a little more wow!

The hotel is a wonderful place full of character. The staff are some of the friendliest and helpful I have ever come across. And I must compliment the food, well done to the chef and kitchen staff!

I would have maybe preferred a space to sit in other than the bar or the restaurant during the evening but that it all that was missing.

staff were extremely friendly and informative of all local sites and landmarks. the location of the hotel was great for getting around shops, bars and local attractions. we booked a family room which was very spacious and had a great selection of channels on the television for the kids to watch (while mum and dad enjoyed a well earned cup of coffee). the historical pieces on show in the hotel was an added bonus and really added to the quaint historical element of the hotel. I would definitely stay again and have recommended the hotel to members of my family. loved it!

There was nothing negative about our stay.

The hotel was lovely and the staff very welcoming and helpful. We were in a gorgeous suite which really added to our stay.

• Superior Twin Room

Room was cold but staff brought up heaters once we mentioned it. Room was 100% clean but not the worst I've seen

Very helpful staff. Quick check in process & delicious breakfast with lots of choice

The bathroom could do with an update but nothing serious.

The staff were really friendly and helpful. Good size room with comfortable beds. Great breakfast. Will definately go back.

Staff were awesome, it was a last minute booking, we were booked into " the Leitrim Lodge" but refused to stay there, it was horrible more like a flop house than a hotel! Literally booked the Bush hotel on the drive back into Carrick-on-Shannon. Have to say the place is just fantastic

Nothing - all very good

Staff friendly. Room large comfortable and clean. Food was good,plentiful and varied. I stayed in this hotel before and many alterations were visable. All tastefully done . Great location in the centre of town and near the Marina

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

The hotel was lovely. Perfect location and easy to access. Dinning room was a tad small but breakfast was delicious

The breakfast was cooked to order. There was real fresh fruit salad and tinned.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

• Superior Twin Room

Breakfast was great and a good selection on offer. They also offer breakfast late on weekends until 11:30, which was a nice touch. The resident's lounge was a lovely sitting area with a real fire, ideal for a cosy hour or two reading your book.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

Dinner was just Ok. Rooms and furniture very dated.

Food was just OK very old-fashioned menu, nothing too exciting to choose from. Breakfast was fine, staff were very friendly and helpful. Centre location, with good parking. Building and furnishings are dated.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

I didnt like a sensor light that shines bright when you turn off the lights.Also didnt like that i was staying right beside swinging doors out in the corridor and made a lot of noise when someone passed by when you are trying to sleep but had a different room the next night and slept well.

I have always like this hotel.Its right in the middle of the town.The rooms are really nice and comfortable.Great breakfast and had a great stay there.

Would have liked better parking facility nearer to hotel but it's in the town centre, so, all in all it was good and not that far away....and free.

A great location. Was a bit worried at our age about the potential noise of Stag and ?Hen parties...no worries. I asked for a quiet room and was pleasantly surprised.....not a sound. People do Carrick on Shannon very welcoming of all and in return, seem to earn the respect of all. Hotel is a hotel of home comforts. Nothing was too much trouble and the staff were all so wonderful. Friendly and accommodating...nothing was too much trouble. Will definitely return.....and back to the Bush Hotel. Oh yes.....food, for us breakfast....was fabulous.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

I like plain food and got it...lovely porridge for breakfast with honey... plus light breakfast to accompany. No fault with that. Dinner was a problem for me as I have unusual diet problem... no oil whatsoever in food. They did all they could to satisfy. I couldn't fault them there. We were within walking distance of most attractions of which there were quite a few. Nice clean town and they obviously take pride in it.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

In poor repair. Ensuite smelled of smoke. A little over priced for the condition that it is in but takes advantage of its location.

The staff were excellent

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

bed a bit hard in places; strange structures in room slightly obstructive-slightly annoying when moving from front of room to rear; view of waste ground.

staff, food

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Mattress in double bed was uncomfortable but there were two single beds in room also which were slightly better

Choice of beds in room as I have a bad back

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

Very friendly family run traditional hotel in the centre of Carrick. Carrick has other more modern 'corporate' style hotels but the Bush gives that little bit extra that can never be found in these corporate places. It is also better located than the competition, right in the centre of town but very quiet apart from the Angelus bell ringing out from the church opposite. Food also very good and competitively priced. Great pint of Guinness!

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

Yes the bed was comphy. The waitress was v pleasant . The meal was good. When we came back later an asked 4 an extra Tea bag & buiscuits it was no problem.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

Friendly staff. Very clean. And very central. Loved looking at the old photos about history of the hotel and Carrick-on-Shannon. We'll be back again for sure!

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

our bedroom was cold but we did not report this as we were only staying one night

staff excellent food excellent bar very nice and quiet for a chat other bar if you wanted music

• Reviewed: 1 December 2016

The lights in the room are all spot lights which are a bit harsh - one or two table lamps would make a huge difference

The staff were fantastic very welcoming - really excellent - all of them !!!! Hotel had great atmosphere and food was very good.

• Reviewed: 30 November 2016

There was a girl on the reception called Emma and she said anything you need just ask and what a lovely manner she had

We arrived very late and I telephoned earlier to say any chance of some sandwiches and it was no problem

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Cleanliness of the whole interior was appalling. 5 bluebottles (flies) in the room in the month of November which shows the little maintainence on the property. Paintwork on the walls are a disgrace like learning a child to paint patchwork throughout. Dirty corridors. Price was sky high for the conditions definitely NOT vfm.

Average location easy access. Average food with moderate portions. Staff were very friendly.

• Reviewed: 17 September 2016

Lack of hospitality at front desk. I spent a night in the bush hotel in carrig on shannon, their front desk staff were courteous, they smiled and lot and made you feel welcome. Some of your front desk staff made it like like a chore (no personality).

Location. Some of your staff.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

Room was dated. I paid for a superior double it was a small double bed with a single bed in the room. Needs modernising.

Breakfast was beautiful. Great location

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

The room was a good size and lovely and modern as I was in the new wing. The food was excellent in the bar and the breakfast was also very good with a very good choice. The staff were extremely nice and helpful

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Superior Twin Room

room and bathroom could have been cleaner. lots of hairs on tiles and in bed.

the receptionist when we checked out was very good helpful and friendly. Lovely girl.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

I don't recall a bed with a mattress which seemed to delight in "attacking" you if you dared to move. Room 64. My wife moved to one of the single beds during the night. Not a complaint, an observation !

Food was excellent. The waitress might have spoken the odd word or two !

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

• Superior Twin Room

The lady on reception was very helpful, as was the young waitress who served our meal. 2 of my single friends both want to know if the receptionist is single. (She will remember us, we were all on motorcycles and it was raining when she welcomed us)

• Reviewed: 13 July 2016

I did not enjoy the pop music playing in the background in the dining room during breakfast.

The convenient location, lovely room, Delicious food. Friendly helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

• Superior Twin Room

We didn't like the layout of the lounge and the old 'Bush Bar' was closed. My wife's breakfast 'fry' was very greasy. There was a lot of noise at 1.00 am and again at 05.00 am.

Convenient location but!!

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

Stayed here for my hen party. Staff were really helpful. Beautiful rooms. Hotel is situated central to all amenities. Food is really good and plentiful.

Hotel was fab lovely town and great weather all round a brilliant break away.

No air conditioning but supplied with a fan immediately 😀

Nice room , big bathroom,

What can I say fantastic hotel and staff exceptional clean hotel throughout fantastic location.

The food was amazing and dey allowed us a late check out till 2pm because our train wasn’t until 3pm which was so handy

Staff at front desk were very abrupt

• Classic Triple Room

Lovely friendly staff and breakfast was beautiful

Stayed in a very large triple room which was great as we were 3 adults. Very helpful staff. Yummy breakfast. Great hotel.

• Superior Single Room

The huge bedroom. Lovely, quiet room. Very friendly staff. Excellent breakfast. Wonderful, historic hotel with fabulous artefacts.

The room could have done with a fresh coat of paint

Staff very extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel is really central and the food was lovely

Great Breakfast

Very nice and helpful staff

Room would need a little refreshing.

Great location,very comfortable bed,very quiet room and a delicious breakfast with lots of choice.

Everything was great