Reviews of Castle Hotel 3 stars

Gardiner Row/Great Denmark St, D1 Dublin, Ireland

#70 of 136 hotels in Dublin

• Special Offer - Double Room

The only thing I would say is that price I was given on booking.com wasn’t the price I paid on arrival, I was charged an extra £30. When I queried this with the receptionist she said it was to do with the exchange rate, surely I should have been charged the amount quoted?

The hotel was lovely, massive compared to how it looks outside.

• Special Offer - Single Room

My room was pretty small. I reported a not working light to both the reception and housekeeping, but nothing was done to repair it. No safe, fridge or tissues. The hotel is close to many shops, but a 15 minute walk from the sights South of the Liffey.

The feeling of staying in a Georgian townhouse. The groundfloor salons and the different staircases have kept their original style and decoration. Although breakfast could be rather crowded the friendly ladies kept things running smoothly.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

No WiFi on any of the 4 phones our crew had with them. Enquired from staff they said theirs was working fine and she had reset the router.... it didn't work and the private WiFi code was not dispensed .... not good enough considering the price of the room

Breakfast was good

• Special Offer - Double Room

Room had a constant high pitched intermittent beep that we could not locate source of but very annoying and made sleep difficult. To be fair, we did not complain to the front desk or ask for a different room.

Excellent location. Superb live entertainment in the bar! Our flight left very early and the restaurant offered an early continental breakfast and coffee before we left and that was so appreciated.

• Quadruple Room

We had a few issues with the room but the staff tried to get it fixed. We had a leak from the ceiling on the first night. The staff was kind enough to try to sort it out. The following day we had asked for packed breakfast and I thought it would be ready at the time we requested it, but looks like things were lost in translation and the breakfast staff had no idea of the request. It was little annoying because we had an early morning tour booked and this delayed us.

The hotel is very charming and the staff was quite friendly. Location is alright, within walking distance of most things. We walked almost everywhere. Hotel was clean and has an old world charm. The family room was really huge and spacious.

• Special Offer - Single Room

Stifling room, see above.

Owners need to install insulation on toop floor. Dublin had some warm weather, not hot, and the room was stifling. Would not recommend any visitor taking rooms on 4th floor even one can ask and get a fan.

The only thing for me is that the decor wasn’t really my taste. But that is the style and look of the hotel so it fits well. Can be a bit difficult to find your way around as it’s so big. But lots of signs to help you out. I would usually go for a more modern hotel.

Great location just off O’Connell Street. About a two minute walk to the City Centre. About a ten/fifteen minute walk to the Temple Bar area. Staff were lovely and very helpful. Rooms had everything thing you needed. Breakfast was great with a good choice.

• Special Offer - Twin Room

Very accommodating. Staff was super helpful and made my 1st stay in Dublin much easier. They were very informative and even packed me a lunch to take on a full day tour I booked!

The only drawback was the hot weather and the windows in the rooms don’t open. Got offered a different room in the new part which has celui window that do open. However stayed where I was and the gave me a fan. Brilliant service from the reception staff.

The hotel was in a great location virtually opposite the Memorial Park and Writers Museum. The rooms are a decent size and clean. Great Irish bar music played live.

Lovely comfy room, modern and clean... Gorgeous building, wonderfully charming Georgian features and decor within the multiple drawing rooms.. Felt like going back in time... excellent breakfast included. Great value for money in an incredibly central location

Breakfast was ok. Nothing special. Buffett. But not bad either. Would be an idea to skip in hotel and have a good breakfast in town

Beautiful rooms Good location, walking distance to all sights Comfortable bed Very clean

• Special Offer - Single Room

There was nothing I did not like about the Castle Hotel.

From the moment I arrived I knew I had chosen the right hotel. Location, value for money, cleanliness and staff were all excellent. I stayed in a single room of perfect proportions. Breakfast was a delight with plenty of choice for all tastes. I could not have been happier with my stay at the Castle Hotel. Next time I visit Dublin I know where I'll be staying!

• Special Offer - Single Room

Lots of stairs and weird access to my room. Had just been painted with strong oil paint which gave me a headache. Very small room on Parnell st. Very bad traffic. Had to keep window open due tobused

The old building is tired and charming.

Great location staff very nice good Comfortable hotel and a fantastic breakfast. Very central for all things we were at Croke Park for the Rolling Stones within walking distance 😊

• Special Offer - Single Room

Cleanliness could be better .Not anything alarming ,just few details that could be taken care of.

Great staff and location.I would definitely recommend it and stay again in the future.

The car park is small and there is limited manovering.

Friendly staff, clean room, good food and drink at a reasonable price. The entertainment providedovervthe weekend was very good and the hotel is located a short walk to shops, busses and trams.

• Quadruple Room

Check in was a bit confusing and unclear but once we sorted out the misunderstanding, the staff was pleasant

Location Large, comfortable room Excellent dinner in the cellar restaurant This old hotel has many sitting rooms and lots of character

• Quadruple Room

The many stairs were Difficult to manage for the seniors

Nice big room Close to main streets for shopping or eating Not in the noisier parts of Dublin Great restaurants and entertainment at the hotel Good breakfast included

• Special Offer - Twin Room

Room is not luxurious enough for the price very basic

The bathroom was small and needed a better clean and some bleach. Hotel is convenient but the price too high maybe it’s Dublin but very pricey

Loved the experience at Castle Hotel - Great European flavor and atmosphere. Staff are the very best - especially the young man on the front desk - so very helpful and courteous -

• Special Offer - Double Room

Clean, tidy, friendly staff, fantastic food. Nothing was too much trouble. Far enough out of the way of the bars to get a good night sleep but close enough to walk to bars and restaurants. Would 100% recommend to anyone coming to Dublin and will definitely stay here again on our next trip

• Special Offer - Double Room

The room we were in was on a main throughfare and the road noise kept us awake

Great location, close to the centre of the city so walking to most places of interest was easy.

Breakfast was poor. Cold rashers. Very poor selection of breads. Bad quality coffee. Very nice staff in breakfast room though.

Very central. Arrived very late due to late arrival of Dublin Airport flight. Night porter very welcoming and friendly.

• Special Offer - Double Room

Value for money not great - €600 Euro for 3 nights (1 room) is very extortionate but as it’s in a city it’s expected. Also the walls are very thin - could hear the hair dryer and the shower of the room next door at early hours which is not great when you’re suffering with a hangover 😉!

Very close to the city (20 minute walk). Bus is every 10 minutes from across the road.

• Special Offer - Double Room

The front of our car was scraped whilst parked in the overflow car park and the parking cost us 15 euro per day. As we were there 3 nights cost 45 euro. Was told would check CCTV to see if could see who did it but never heard anything further.

Excellent location. Lovely room. Friendly staff.

• Special Offer - Twin Room

Room slightly "faded" but it was fine

Staff were brilliant, very friendly and helpful, my sister asked if we could move rooms after the first night as it was at the front and very noisy and they moved us with no problem, we came back in the afternoon and they had moved all our luggage for us, very impressed. Fionn the owner was also very friendly and gave me and my sister a complimentary drink!

Almost all of it ...and would not stay here again nor recommend it We try not to write negatives about anywhere we stay but this place warrants one .....

Noisy, small/Tiny room , staff not too helpful and onsite parking is not guaranteed and or the staff want you to leave them the keys to your car which I wasn't happy giving the keys to my pride and joy to some kid to drive ....and the nearest over night secure parking is a 14 min walk away The price is too high for the amenity, and it had been one of our worst city hotel experiences in 25 years of global travel At very least try and ask for a room that's not facing the street ...as we got no sleep Only positive is the hotel is central to everything which was one of the reasons we chose it

• Special Offer - Single Room

A bit on the pricey side, but, this is Dublin, and compares with other hotels in this part of the city.

Comfortable, spacious, very clean room, exceptionally comfortable bed, plus tea and coffee making facilities in the room, fabulous location with good public transport (the new Parnell tram stop is only 3 mins down the road, plus the 747 bus to the airport also stops nearby). Good breakfast.

Very expensive - but it was a Friday night so perhaps to be expected

The room was excessively hot when I arrived, and took some time to become acceptable even after I turned the radiator down and opened the window. Breakfast was excellent. and staff pleasant and helpful

• Special Offer - Double Room

Not much, because it is a very popular hotel we sometimes had to wait to be seated for breakfast but there was always plenty of hot and cold food available and the staff were very attentive.

There was a very good choice for breakfast. The bed was very comfortable. The restaurant was good, with enough selection for something different each of the four nights we stayed. We had to report the shower was cold on the first morning and it was fixed very quickly. There were communal areas where you could relax away from your room which were very comfortable.

• Special Offer - Single Room

The sink in the bathroom was so small (barely bigger that my palm), that if you want to wash your face or teeth, a flood on the floor is inevitable.

Great location, clean room with a nice view, tea and coffee set in the room, friendly staff, very pleasant pub in the cellar. Very comfortable bed. One of the best values for money in Dublin.

• Special Offer - Single Room

Breakfast eggs were watery and the rooms to the street are really noisy.

People were really helpful as soon aß they can. Shame you cant get a cappucccino to the breakfast only normal Coffee. It ja still a nice Hotel close to many things. I would recommand it.

• Special Offer - Double Room

The room was a little on the small side & got quite hot. You couldn't open the window fully as it was a old fashioned single glazed sash window & therefore a little noisy with the main road outside.

Lovely hotel, within walking distance from Temple Bar, staff were very attentive & the breakfast was lovely.

• Special Offer - Double Room

The WiFi was a tad slow.

Great choice of food for breakfast. Bed was very comfortable and the Hotel was quiet at night. Great location for what we were doing.

• Special Offer - Single Room

Its an old property so has its creaks - I was below what I think was a door or something which made a loud noise anytime anyone went through/over it but I still slept fine - just be mindful of the fact that its not a new property and this is what I considered an expected tradeoff for all the other facts which made it a great place to stay

The hotel has character and history - I wanted to stay somewhere in Dublin that wasnt just a 'hotel'. The dinner in the restaurant downstairs was delicious (beef and guinness casserole) and there was a musician playing Irish music which really added so much to the experience. It was conveniently located and comfortable.

This is a beautiful hotel with lovely staff. We got a beautiful room with the church next door and couldn't stop talking about the room with beautiful views! The food is delicious and ordered room service twice (it was really that good!) It is in a perfect location and just a short walk to see all the monuments on O'Connell street, Ha'Penny bridge and The Temple Bar. It is also a short drive to Dublin Airport (15 minutes with traffic).

• Special Offer - Double Room

I watched the football in the bar and Charlton lost 1-0.

It was a nice hotel, comfy and clean. Close to the centre but far enough away from the bars so that there were not a lot of rowdy people.

• Special Offer - Double Room

Noisy road made it hard to sleep, breakfast was ok but not great for the price. Some bugs in the bathroom.

Staff friendly. Nice lounges. Room free before checkin time.

• Special Offer - Double Room

Room was dated. Stayed with partner and had two single beds. The shower was the worst shower I've ever used. Other friends that were there with us had much more modern rooms and we all paid the same price! I would NOT stay here again.

Friendly staff, great location.

free parking.

Friendly approachable staff, clean comfortable room. Querky decore. Onsite secure parking (at a cost) Nice breakfast. Good bar & staff, good live music at night. 5 minute walk down the street into main shopping / resturant area.

• Special Offer - Double Room

We opted to include breakfast, which was very disappointing. Staff seemed to be too busy all of the time. The hot breakfast arrived well after the breakfast starting time.

The hotel is located close to bus stops, which makes life easy. Loved the atmosphere the old style hotel creates and the lounge rooms where guests can have a break. Chocolates on beds were wonderful.

Bedroom was cramped, and noisy. Bathroom needed refurbishing. Tired overall look.

Breakfast room was lovely. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Special Offer - Double Room

The hotel was outdated in terms of decor . No Irish staff. The bathroom was broken. Great location , but needs a facelift . Also has a run down entrance.

The location and the breakfast were very good. It was clean.

• Special Offer - Double Room

Central Dublin position. Various lovely traditional lounges/ sitting areas. Evening meal/ dinner was good. Breakfast was buffet and o.k. Free entertainment ( music) in vaults each evening and fortunately could not be heard outside of vaults area.

The noisiest hotel I've ever stayed in - I didn't sleep all night. I could hear th''the neighbors on both sides of my room and those above walking around. The room was extremely expensive for the service. Never again

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The rooms at the street side are very noisy. Luckily we could change our room after one night, and have a good night’s rest on the 2nd and the 3rd nights.

The breakfast was nice, and it was also great to have a restaurant/bar in the hotel with live music in the evening.

• Special Offer - Double Room

In our room, we encountered the absolute WORST shower in 40+ years of world travel (room 102); others may have been OK. NOTE -- Friendly staff, capacious sitting rooms and breakfast MORE than made up for it!

Delightfully quirky old collections of facilities bundled into 'one hotel'. Some rooms good, some not so great. Many comfortable, eclectic sitting rooms to relax. Breakfast was WONDERFUL. (Somebody complained it was crowded - that's because it was so good!)

• Special Offer - Twin Room

Disability facilities in the bathroom. Having to go to outside ramp to get to the restaurant , if it’s raining this is very difficult. Double doors into restaurant kept open by heave objects and do not open to full extent, so very difficult for wheelchair user.

The different restaurants, vault rest. Irish music and dance every night.The whole hotel is just great atmosphere. All the staff are kind helpful beyond belief for a wheelchair user. Such a happy weeks stay, would love to go back again. Will recommend to others.

• Special Offer - Double Room

Only a small criticism , there was no blind at the bathroom window, and as we were quite overlooked it made going to the loo , which was placed next to the window a little worrying . We would hang a towel up at the window.

The room was very good. Very clean .very comfortable.

• Special Offer - Double Room

-Expensive room according this small room?? Almost 100 € difference for same weekend ... less For a bigger room with bed tables etc... -Dirty bed clothing first day . See pic -Welcoming staff not friendly You can not see -Tv ( quietly) neighbour complain- -When discussed the room in the end ( if mistake according room) Staff answer “ computer selecting rooms . This was my second time in castle (8 years between) - what a pity that the change is to this ....

Location , entertainment in bar

• Special Offer - Single Room

I loved the ambience of the hotel and the convenience of the coffee shop, restaurant and bar and excellent qualty of the food served at the hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful at all times.

• Special Offer - Double Room

The rooms were very uncomfortable the doors into the room were unsafe, not very private staff came in while I was at breakfast didn’t let me know they were cleaning the room

It was close to city

• Special Offer - Double Room

The Weather, very rainy day one but plenty of things to do.

The castle hotel (steeped in history)is Dublin’s oldest hotel made up of 9 Georgian buildings dating back to 1809, its a truly family run business, meeting Fionn MacCumhaill and his Daughter who had plenty of time to chat and make us extremely at home and welcome, bedrooms were clean and tidy the bed was extremely comfortable, the food and breakfast’s were excellent and an added extra Castle vaults bar with the live Irish music, just a 10 minute walk to the City centre with plenty of buses to catch a lift, we will be returning next year to see more of Dublin and definitely stopping at the Castle hotel again. Thank you for a wonderful experience.

• Special Offer - Double Room

I had requested a twin room... however the girls said that the big double bed gave them their best sleep ever!!!

My daughter and son's girlfriend really enjoyed their first ever time away from home. Perfect location and they were within walking distance of bus station and Grafton St. Thank you for taking care of them.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 3 Children)

The plumbing was extremely slow to drain and I ended up standing in water while taking a shower. Also the walls are very thin and I heard the people in the next room while we were trying to sleep

The location to downtown Dublin

• Special Offer - Double Room

Take out breakfast due to an early start. What we had was a complete joke with no effort or care going in to it.

Good location. Good resteraunt food and bar area. Live music every night.

• Quadruple Room

As above, The family room was above the smoking area for the bar - noisy and smelly. The food at dinner was expensive and ordinary at best. The steaks were not the size advertised, said 8oz more like 4. The staff told us we should have expected this as it is an inner city pub. When a quiet family room is booked - directly above the smoking area for the bar that will shot sometime between 11.30pm and 2am is not what I would expect to be sold - at an expensive rate. Just let families that book know it will be noisy and smelly.

the room was big - but very noisy and the cigarette smoke from outside was seeping inside.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Only issue was that the elevator went out as we were preparing to leave.

Cleanliness and up to date bathroom with the old world charm of the hotel. Breakfast was phenomenal!

• Special Offer - Double Room

Our room had a single window and faced into a parking area/make-shifted court yard for groups who wanted to smoke. This also entertained us nightly with some very "spicy" conversations that drifted through our open window. Would not recommend for anyone with mobility issues. Too many steps through put the narrow hallways.

The front staff was very friendly and knowledgeable when we needed information about the area and transport. Staff in the restaurants and bar were very attentive when they were not busy. Rooms were cleaned everyday and on most days, restocked with complimentary coffee, teas, etc. Location was excellent and most places we could get on by foot or the bus.

• Special Offer - Double Room

The bedrooms doors - they slammed shut if left to close on their own and some guests didn’t think of people trying to sleep and so didn’t close them quietly

• Special Offer - Single Room

1. My visit was in March (end of March) when weather is still cold (-4 degrees C outside). In the room the temperature was the same and the window was left open. No heating!!!! Raising the issue in front of the staff at the reception - answer was check radiator. On the third day of my stay after very insistent request from my side, someone from the staff came to check the situation. Then the radiator was repaired and I ad heating. So, if your stay during cold season , insist the heating to be on in your room. 2. Despite that it is announced that there is a wi fi, the reality is that there is NO WI FI!!!!! The recommendation I got from the reception was : try during the night!

Location is close to bus stop to and from the airport, as well as to walking distance from most touristic attractions.

Would have liked bedside light. Remote for tv didn’t work from a distance. Phones were out of action though wifi fine.

Convenient location, close to bus routes, tram etc.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The live music on Saturday and Sunday nights was a great touch. The hotel was in a good location with two different restaurant options in the hotel. Both have similar menus, but both have great food. The breakfast at the Old Music Shop was amazing, and included in room rate. Also, when I mentioned my 6 year old son was celebrating his birthday, they decorated the room with balloons and a banner. The staff is excellent!

Our room could have been warmer, we arrived to a snowstorm in Dublin which I'm sure impacted the warmth of the entire building.

A very sweet old boutique hotel, loved the breakfast selections and the pub downstairs.

• Special Offer - Double Room

Everything was perfect. Exceeded my expectations! There is no better place to go to in Dublin!!

Awesome breakfast, gorgeous food, extremely nice and welcoming staff, lovely owner, best hotel I have ever been to. Can't wait to come back. Charming place! Fell in love with it immediately 💚☘

• Special Offer - Twin Room

This was my second time at the Castle Hotel...Last time alone, this time with my Partner (GF) .. we both loved the old furniture in the lobby... the beds were very comfortable.. .. everything was super clean... breakfast was good and plenty, with a good selection..... the Staff was friendly , and helpful..The Pub in the cellar is Great had a very nice time , and ate some really great food... all in all a very good stay... would do it again , and will..in the near future I'm sure... and would recommend it to anyone that I know that is planning a Dublin trip...

It was extremely expensive, however it was St Patrick's Day weekend which may have been why.

Great location, beautiful hotel, good breakfast included.

The location was outstanding only a couple of minute walk to O'Connell Street. The public areas were luxurious, and our room was one of the largest, over sized and quite comfortable. The staff was extremely friendly and most helpful with any questions or concerns that we had.

• Special Offer - Single Room

The hotel was close to down town and close to everything. The hotel itself was beautiful with all the antiques and Georgian decor. It is quirky and the pub downstairs was awesome

Unfortunately after a few nights in what seemed a beautiful relaxing room i discovered bed bugs in my bed i was covered in bites and went straight to management. They immediately took action laundering my clothes and sending in a crew to clean and disinfect my luggage. They were hugely apologetic and even gave me money back on my room. I feel it necessary to mention this as my wonderful trip to Ireland turned into a nightmare. They gave me a new room for my final night stay but I couldn't sleep. I had to fly home the next day and the bites were worse than i realized. I had an allergic reaction and i had over 100 bites that appeared. I was in total misery on an 8 hour flight back. I was sick to my stomach and embarrassed. I know the hotel did everything they could and felt bad. This is still completely unacceptable. My vacation i planned for over a year was damaged because of this. The hotel cleaning staff must do a better job. This was a life long bucket list trip and I am so saddened with the way it ended.

• Special Offer - Single Room

Rooms are small as the building is historical, the wifi is not great but the rest makes up for it

Location, value for money, character, staff friendliness, breakfast

• Special Offer - Double Room

The staff are very friendly and they helped when we encountered problems. The breakfast is very good ! Rooms are comfortable and clean. Would definitely would stay there again. The hotel decoration is really nice and warm.

• Special Offer - Twin Room

Be aware drinks in the bar are very expensive. A single Irish whiskey was €18.50. I found that excessive as it wasn't even an import. My 2 whiskeys cost more than our entire meal.

Beautiful aesthetic. Clean rooms. Very quiet. Excellent food. Breakfast was lovely. We had to leave early our final morning and they gave us a take away box for our breakfast.

The room was quite cold between the hours of 9-1am. The sash window appeared to let in a draft and the radiator was off until the early hours of the morning.

• Special Offer - Single Room

Room very clean and comfortable, large size. Breakfast was nice. Willing to keep bags as left luggage after check-out. Excellent location close to the city center and bus routes.

Couldn't fault the hotel

Lovely hotel. Easy check in and check out. All staff friendly and knowledgeable about the area. Great breakfast and food in restaurant great for an evening meal. Loved the Irish music night with Ray Cox. Will be back