Reviews of Celtic Lodge Guesthouse - Restaurant & Bar 2 stars

81 - 82 Talbot Street, D1 Dublin, Ireland

#71 of 105 B&Bs and Inns in Dublin

• Reviewed: 12 October 2018

Will book here again when next in Dublin.

Really friendly, helpful staff, fantastic location with secure parking (at a discounted extra cost) only a minute's walk away. Highly recommended!

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Very expensive for the quality

It was not worth the price vs quality. Location is perfect, but the rooms need restoration and be more clean. Three people help me on the lobby two or them were great but the other one have no idea about anything.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

For me and the family this was absolutely the wrong hotel.

The room was very tiny for the cost and since I booked for 3 this room would not be adequate in any case. Also the cleanliness was not on a good standard and it's been a long time since anything was refurbished, it has a very worn down feel to it.

The staff was very friendly and forthcoming and the location is excellent, anything is right in walking distance.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

Be careful when you book on this site

The rate in reception was 57 euro per night and they charged me 96 euro when I book it and I was told that was un-refundable. Make sure you double check.

Good location and friendly service

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

We loved it here, staff was great and nice location too.

Friendliness of the staff! Also, comfy beds and close to bus stop/airport shuttle. Right around the corner from the paddy wagon tour office (which I also recommend). Had tea/coffee in the rooms and soaps for the shower. Very clean too!

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

The location is great as it is close to the main centre!

I was not able to close the window fully and it was very noisy throughout the night as it is on the main high street. It was quite clean, but a little dusty in places. I was not able to find the wifi user name as I was only provided with the password. The phone did not work so had to keep walking downstairs to speak to staff for help. Overall it is OK value for money, but still some details could have made my stay better.

The location is great as it is close to the main centre! The shower was amazing and newly installed with good pressure! The bed was also quite comfortable and sheets were clean.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Not quite what was expected but acceptable, the pros outweigh the cons.

Beds lack a layer of batting or memory foam so the springs press up and do not lend good support. Small rooms, make sure to ask for the rooms facing the rear to lower street noise. Paid parking available nearby but a bit inconvenient.

Good location to explore central Dublin. Day staff was excellent, night and weekends staff not so much in the knowledge department. Nice pub below that is always crowded. Restaurant below is not too bad but needs to work on service training.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

Very disappointing.

Room very small, shabby, not thoroughly cleaned. Old cheap bottle of bath wash in bathroom. No elevator. No A/C- no screen in window & lots of bar noise coming in window. Housekeeping staff seen putting clean bed linens on floor (rug). Paid over $200 euros for one night.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Not very good.

When we arrived we were never told that we were getting moved because they over booked. We were put across the road and up on the top floor and only got 20euro off! Room was very small and didn't have remote for the telly or an iron. We had to go down stairs to get them, after I went back up there was no iron board and had to do it on the floor which there wasn't enough space to do it. Very very disappointed with my stay and will not return or recommend it to anyone. I would have appreciated an email or a call but I received no notice at all.

breakfast was ok! I was a little disappointed because we never got a choice on what we were getting just told we were getting a full Irish breakfast. I do like a full Irish but my boyfriend wouldn't like everything on it

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Cramped room with limited facilites and uneasy in relation to the hotel management

We were offered a first floor room which was too noisy to stay in - the noise was mainly music from the restaurant. We were told that it would continue until past midnight. Our request for a change of room was resisted for some time under the pretext the house was full: however after much arguing we were offered a room on the third floor "just for the night" - but this was changed to allow us to stay there for both nights. (There are no lifts in the guest house). The room was quieter and acceptable. We thought the male member of staff on duty the first night talked down to my partner during these negotiations.

The guest house was convenient to Connolly station in a busy road with a mixture of shops and eateries. It also was near to the dropping off point for the airline buses. The guest house was clean.

Ok for a cheap nights stay but wouldnt stay for a long time

In a busy street with lots of bars so was fairly noisy and the room was small with one a high window

Was good value for money and the staff were helpful with our queries.

Location was perfect!

I found a fair amount of hair on some of the linens and in the bathroom that was of a different length and color from my own

Location was perfect! 3 min walk from the Paddywagon pick up point if you’re doing any of those tours. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Easy walk to all major attractions.

Too expensive for what they offer. Impossible to stay more than shower and sleep. Nothing to offer

Extremely small room. Our view was a roof full of the external machines of air conditions. Noisy. The window didn't close well. They never offered to help us with our luggage, although there isn't elevator.

Very close to the center and all the sights of Dublin. The house keeping was ok.

awful...extremely disappointed

see anbove

Did not like anyything about the room bathroom can't even get in. , floor sagged, 1st room no windows, no place to open luggage stinky small closset, 2nd room had a window that looked onto a big bunch of garbage at back of hotel, no one told us of the stairs which is not acceptable for seniors with 2 knee repacements + hip replacement... ther place is so old and the 2 rooms we were in are just not of a qualiyty that should be advertised with any booking company and I really want my money back as we were so upset. Grossly overated and misrepresented on the website.

Did the trick, but wouldn't recommend to friends unless they were in a pinch.

They advertised WiFi and laundry facilities. The WiFi showed up but didn't work at all, even though there were a few different networks to connect to. Very disappointed with the lack of laundry facilities since that was a deciding factor in where we were going to stay that night. We also booked a twin bed, but got stuck with two singles. When we contacted the front desk he said there were no other rooms available, but he would come up and push the beds together for us if we wanted...

The location was pretty great. Easy walking distance to lots of places to eat and drink. Staff was very friendly. The gentleman who check us in was very helpful, but the guy the next morning not so much.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Very negative experience (bed bugs) despite the lovely staff

Big problems...Unfortunately, the wifi did not work and I was sick so was in my room most of the time with no wifi was hard. They tried to fix the situation by moving me the next day, then I woke up the next morning only to discover I had insect bites up my arm. Turns out it was bed bugs...after searching my room I found 2 actual live bedbugs. I packed up and explained my situation. The owner gave me a refund for the nights i was missing (i was supposed to stay for 4 nights) but still charged me for the 1st night. I didn't think this was adequate compensation, as now I had to taxi to a laundry mat, pay for my clean clothes to be laundered and dried,clean and dry my luggage, and taxi to a new hotel that I found and booked myself, get anti-itch insect bite lotion, and be uncomfortable now with these bug bites on my arm and stress out that perhaps I haven't killed them all? not to mention a day wasted on my trip. The owner seemed nice enough, probably a good guy to have some pints with, but I felt he didn't do enough to ease the discomfort of the situation, or consider all the expenses I had due to the bed bugs. I think I even had a bite or two after the 1st night in the 1st room, but didn't clue in until i got more the next day.

One particular staff member was amazing, Sean. I'm sure he would have literally given me the shirt off his back if I wanted it. He bent over backwards to help.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Great for younger visitors who like to rough it. Not for Seniors

no elevator, small rooms, small bathroom, noisy neighborhood, no AC and no window screens. Recuperating from knee surgery and could not climb the 5 flights of stairs. Not what I expected. Had to move. G

the staff were very accommodating especially when we checked in.

Great location, ridiculously tiny room for three people and you need to check parking garage access

They knew we were travelling with a 1 year old child, with our own travel cot. Despite this, they put is into a ridiculously tiny room on the third floor (no elevator). I am sure that the room doesn't meet any health and safety standard with three people in that tiny room. We asked for another room, but they couldn't give anything else. On top of that, they offer parking at a discounted price closeby. The only minor detail that they forgot to mention is that we cannot access our car anytime. Moreover, we were staying from Saturday to Monday, but Monday was a public holiday, so the parking garage was closed for the whole day. If I didn't realise this, we wouldn't have been able to access our car on the day when we intended to leave. The staff did apologise, but I prefer proper service over apologies....

the location is awesome. we enjoyed going down to the Celtic bar

Very poor customer service on arrival. We needed to use a room for 10 minutes prior to check in as we were going to a christening. Extremely unhelpful receptionist ( was his first day) refused to contact manager/anyone to discuss the matter. Our room was cramped, hot, a fan that was so loud we could not use. This was our 5th stay at this hotel and never had a problem before. Will not be staying again and will not be recommending it to anyone. Very disappointed.

Location. Staff the next day were excellent. Very helpful.

Friendly staff, great location and we we're gifted free...

No lift and we were on the third floor. Was just a bit of a pain because of luggage etc.

Friendly staff, great location and we we're gifted free breakfast as it was our anniversary !

Great music in the pub

I drive a 16 seater mini-bus and it would have been great to know it was secure.

Location, the room was freshly done up, new carpet ect. The room was on the 1st floor. It's convenient to everything.

The electric went off in our bedroom when using the hair...

The electric went off in our bedroom when using the hair dryer provided as it blew and we alerted the front desk. We had no electric for most of our 1 night stay and couldn’t charge phones, use appliances etc. We had to ask again at the front desk about electric before they then offered us another room to use for 30 minutes before our checkout. Would have expected better customer service or at least some form of discount for this extended issue as it affected most of our stay.

Most enjoyable, central and clean. Hospitality excellent.

Too many stairs to climb - we were on top floor (no lift).

Spotlessly clean bedroom and bathroom. Bed so comfy. Staff so helpful. Breakfast fabulous. Would not hesitate returning.

The staff (Leo and Ana especially) really made us want to come back.

We happened to visit during an unusual heatwave and the windows did not open enough to get any air flow. In the colder temps it would be cozy and comfortable but in the heat it was stifling.

The room was small but nicely appointed and very clean. We were very close to O'Connell Street and were able to get around by walking and had access to public transport if we wanted.

The room was clean but very small especially the bathroom. Staff was friendly.

We were on the fourth floor and there was no elevator. The room was very small as was the bathroom. The window was very small. The decor was very plain. The breakfast was not very good. If you are looking for a place that is in the city and do not care about size or ambiance it would be fine.

It was very quiet. The staff was friendly

Enjoyed our visit to Dublin

When staying request a room away from the front of the building near the road, a lot of noise early in the morning

Location fantastic. Easy to get everywhere.

4.0
    Staff were very Friendly

very , very basic place to stay considering the price was not that cheaper than a 4 star accommodation The stairs was a sweaty climb if you were in a room anywhere near the summit , NO LIFT was a big problem. the dark corridors and overall feel of the place suggested it would have been a great place to hide from the Gestapo in the last War.

Staff were very Friendly

An overpriced letdown

The price I paid for my stay was an absolute disgrace, breakfast wasn't even included for €340 for two nights this is not what you would expect given the standard of the accommodation. We were actually bumping into each other the room was so small, don't be fooled by the pictures on this site, one pillow each with no spares, no form of air conditioning, on one of the hottest weeks of the year this was a challenge.. And only facilities being an out of order vending machine

The staff were about the only good part of this experience!

This is a great spot to commence your Dublin ventures!

The rooms are a little small and the flights of stairs may pose a problem to the oldies!

If you want to be able to walk everywhere its a great convenient location!

Nothing like the pictures.

Ridiculously overpriced with no breakfast included in our $250 aud rate per night! The room we had was completely run down, pillows were about 20 years old, flattened and felt like a bag of concrete. Carpet very aged and lifting, walls terribly marked and dirty, furniture very chipped and aged. The toilet would run and drip for a good 15 minutes after every flush. TV had very poor signal. No fan or air con with a very small window at the top of the wall that was only able to be opened a couple of centimeters making the room very stuffy. Would not stay again.

Location was ok.

Toooo much noice due to the live band which was directly...

Toooo much noice due to the live band which was directly under the room.....I do like music but under the room????so they should inform people about that so they can choose!! There are plenty rooms and just some directly above the bar in which live music is playing verry loud. Otherwise good location and breakfast is ok.

So So

It doesn't look quite as nice in person as online. The floor slanted. Very small room.didnt try the restaurant. No lift!

The 2 guys working when we checked in brought our luggage to our room on 2nd floor. Linen was fresh.

4.0
    People at the desk were friendly, helpful to what part of...

The first room was dirty, it looked like someone peed on the skirt of the bed. The carpeting is very old, dirty, and ripped. I was moved twice...the bathroom was up to date and clean, but cleanliness of the bedroom was not.

People at the desk were friendly, helpful to what part of the city you wanted to go.

Central but busy area

Stairs, no lift but staff helped with bags, noise from street - drinkers, sirens, alarms and dogs!

Central location, shower worked well and great breakfast.

Great place!

Amazing price for central location! Nice clean rooms and staff were very friendly. I see people complaining about things, you get what you pay for. Yes bathroom was small but was usable. Would recommend 100% and stay here again - thank you! :-)

Our stay was adequate

The toilet did not seem to work half of the time and the shower was rather small.

The bed was very comfortable and the location was perfect for what we wanted to do.

Good overall

Bathroom was clean but too small. Rooms need some TLC. Wi-fi was intermittent.

Good location. Room was clean. Staff was very nice and helpful. They accommodated my requests happily. Breakfast and restaurant was good. I think it is the staff that gives overall happy feeling about the place.

Good location, but busy street.

The car park was difficult to find as directions had been changed by council. 3rd floor room. No Lift. But staff took up luggage.

Location. Car park. Helpful staff

It was a bed for a night which is all we really needed.

Mold in the shower. Bathroom was smaller than expected. Bed had broken springs. Website said free breakfast but was told we didn’t have it. WiFi was spotty.

Location was close to many attractions.

Great guesthouse!

The shower / toilet was such a tight space. Rooms were a little noisy. But apart from that, all was good!

Really nice staff. They were always welcoming and ready to help. The room was very comfortable, beds were nice and soft. Great shower. Great location and lots of things around!

Great place to stay, just not when they are price gouging

Prices double for the weekend, especially if it’s a long weekend which in my opinion takes it way out of its price range.

The location was great, staff was extremely welcoming and helpful.

Room had everything we needed and clean.

Receptionist couldn't find our booking, twice. Also, they tried to take a card payment before we arrived which my card declined.

Room had everything we needed and clean. Shower was good.

price and location very good. A bit dated but clean and comfortable

no lift. Restaurant staff and outside blackboard quoted 6euro for breakfast but reception charged 7 minor detail but confusing.

staff very friendly and helpful, lovely homemade guinness bread at breakfast, free wifi and newspapers, free luggage storage

Very conveniently situated but very basic for money. Needs attention to housekeeping.

Had to endure 2 nights in a room that should never been let. Even manager5 seemed shocked on viewing. Avoid 211.

1st room was dirty and has a weird closet situation manager moved me but only for last night. 2nd room was clean.

FUN!

WiFi was terrible. Cuts in and out the whole time.

One particular member of staff who greeted us on reception the day we arrived (can't remember his name sorry) was absolutely fantastic, friendly, helpful and lovely.

Good place for staying in the centre of Dublin

Toilet lid wouldn't stay up, dirty walls/ceilings, only had a tiny bit of shower gel in bathroom and nothing else

Very good location, comfy bed, radiator heated the room nicely, friendly reception staff

Great value for money, definitely recommended!

Doesn't have minifridge in the rooms and the walls are a bit thin.

Very nice and helpful personnel, great location close to the city centre, clean room and facilities.

Easter weekend

The condensation on the windows running down to the sill.

Really comfy bed, within walking distance of everything, staff very friendly & room very warm.

Nightmare of all nightmares

The room was the size of a box the toilet and shower was so poky you couldn’t even turn or move .. not only that the room was like an ice box and bitter cold with a thin blanket on each bed which smelt of rotten feet and the pillows weren’t far behind also the door in the room wasn’t very secure and we had to put a chair against it plus bags for added safety .. and even at that we didn’t feel safe as we didn’t sleep all night .. we asked the guy on reception could we be moved rooms he came back and said I think I have a spare room I’ll go see he came back with no room but offered free breakfast .. how could a free breakfast fix a rotten experience? I understand guest houses are basic and you get what you pay for but for a 143 English pound you would expect a bit better standard and a better night ..

Nothing at all the only plus was the location

-location was really good,

Missing points: -hair dry machine didn't work, -bed wasn't clear and was really smaill for two people, -bathroom was really small, -price was really high for this kind of double room.

-location was really good, -staff was really smiley,

Thank

Thank The staff are very friendly and try to accommodate you in all that they can.comfortable beds clean room's and a fresh cooked breakfast you culd not ask for more.We will be rebooking.

Great overall experience

It would be very useful to warn the personnel in advance in case of late or very early check out and avoid waiting on the reception for more than 15 minutes just to leave your keys. Ordering a taxi a day in advance in case you need to catch a flight is also a good idea.

Excellent location, couple of minutes away from O'Connell Street, with walking distance to all sights and landmarks. Clean and tidy.

Not great. Pay a bit more for a better hotel!

I had read reviews which made the 2 star rating seem unfair but in truth it is a 2 star. Uncomfortable bed. A bit grubby. Very small room. The price seemed alot for what you get. I think all you are paying for is location. The staff were lovely but it didnt make up for the poor quality accomodation.

The location is fabulous

Location was great and the staff were friendly and helpful.

It was quite noisy in the evening but to be expected due to the location. Could do with double glazing.

Location was great and the staff were friendly and helpful. The pub below was great for traditional Irish food and music.

Very convenient to everything and great staff.

Room was right over the bar. However staff did provide loud fan so I heard nothing.

The staff was beyond helpful. They found answers and made food the way I enjoyed.

central and cosy

the pub itself is worth a visit! the reason we come here year after year is the celt pub. coxy and the team will make you welcome and you are guaranteed to have a good night in a special place with nice food and awesome music! we only stayed one night in the hotel. location is perfect, nothing is far from there, but you would only want to go to the pub downstairs anyways!

Good music, comfortable room, friendly staff, great location.

No complaints.

Comfortable beds, friendly, helpful staff; excellent location; great live music audible from the pub while relaxing in our pleasant room, but it ended early enough to get a good night's sleep in the quiet. Our luggage was stored while we toured after check-out. Also, the room was available earlier than expected, very helpful after a long trip.

It served its purposes.

The room was a bit drafty, very small. The bed was not the best, and the pillows were awful.

The breakfast was great, staff was very friendly and helpful.

Fun place to stay in Dublin!

The parking was difficult to find and a bit away from the guest house.

The location was grand and the rooms were clean and simple. The breakfast was delicious.

Location was great!

Beds were horrible. Room was very small. Bathroom was so small that my mum had problem to get in the shower.

Location was great!Receptionists were friendly. Bar and restaurant are really nice to go.

Lovely place for the price and location, would definetely stay again. No problem recommending.

Was a maze to get to our particular room, room was very small, no iron supplied but was in the rooms description, parking is a bit of a pain and costs a fortune but thats out of their control, damp coming through on the celing.

The lady at the front desk was extremely friendly and nice, greeted us with a smile & was very helpful,nice rooms, bar right beside the place which has lovely pints, walking distance to anywhere in the city center, nice warm clean rooms

Comfortable and clean stay - if you don't mind the noise of the pub

If you're looking for a sound sleep or have an early flight in the morning, this hotel is not for you. It's located over a busy pub that plays live music until midnight or 1am every night. My room happened to be right over the pub, but perhaps it's quieter if you request a room at the back.

Room was small, no frills but comfortable and clean, which is all you really need when you're a solo traveller. Location is close to O'Connell Street and has lots of restaurants/grocery stores nearby on Talbot Street. Staff was very friendly!

Not much to say, it was a pleasant stay and I would definitely choose this hotel again.

One of the push taps was loose and water would shut off far too quick making it difficult to wash hands. My room didn’t really have a window, well there was a window but it was tiny and high up in the corner.

Perfect location, friendly staff, clean room and comfortable.

From the moment we arrived we felt welcome with a friendly...

Cant fault it!!

From the moment we arrived we felt welcome with a friendly greeting from the receptionist :) The location was so close to the main shopping street of Dublin and so many great places to visit around the area. For how cheap the hotel room was, it beyond exceeded my expectations! I will def be staying here again when i return to Dublin :):):) Oh and cant forget to mention The Celt bar next door, great live music every night, we spent both evenings here!

Very goos staff

Very good attention and super clean. The problem is the place itaelf. Super expensive for what it is. The bathroom is not comfortable, rooms are cold and there is no bathroom in lobby!!!!!!

Very goos staff

Awake basically all night with noise from every aspect .. then had to check out at 11 tired as hell

Loud music until around 2am then Construction workers at window kept us awake throughout the early hours around 6-7 and room service banged down our door on 2 occasions and also woke us up in the early morning, got basically no sleep

Had a lovely weekend break and really enjoyed our stay

WiFi was intermittent and could be noisy at night from the road.

Friendly staff, clean room and great breakfast. Is located next to its own Brasserie and Celt Bar next door.

Adequate

There's an associated pub on the ground floor that makes a lot of noise until late at night (band playing the same songs over and over).

It was adequate.

Good, clean hotel close to the city centre, above a pub. Very good value for money but can be noisy

The hotel is above a pub, which hosted a noisy folk music session late into the night. Fine if you like folk music, but not if you want to go to bed early!

Very good value for money, and very close to the town centre

Location is great

Room was cold. Noise from outside was very loud making it difficult sleep. Food was ok although some of it was cold.

Location is great staff are pleasent and helpful

perfect break in an interesting city.

Slightly expensive but Dublin is expensive.

Good position in Dublin. The hotel bar was friendly, reasonable price and clean. The breakfast was lovely and the lady who serves the breakfasts was really friendly and efficient.

Wicked fun weekend

The staff were lovely, so friendly and helpful. Breakfast was great, location was brilliant. There were 10 of us on a birthday weekend and we could not have picked a better place to stay for location, budget and friendliness.

Overpriced room, old and way too small

The room is extremely small and very uncomfortable. There is not enough space to open your suitcase or even place your clothes. The bathroom sink had two separate faucets, one on the left for hot water and another on the right for cold water. If you like to first burn yourself and then freeze, I guess this would be nice. The bed was uncomfortable as well

People were really nice

We had a lovely time n will be back

If I was picky then it'll be the shower head lol I like a removal head but that's me. Your showers was nice n powerfull n nice n hot I just had to keep turning it off so I could wash my hair because it was a fixed head shower

We've stayed at the celtic guesthouse twice once in feb n now just this weekend. Clean n very friendly plus a great location.

Not worth the money.

The room was very old, not very clean and the bathroom was supersmall and uncomfortable. Absolutely not worth the money I spent.

The location was close to the venue of my meeting.