Reviews of Commodore Hotel 2 stars

Westbourne Place, Cobh, Ireland

#9 of 9 hotels in Cobh

• Double or Twin Room

The location is great. Bed was lovely and comfortable and room was spotless. Staff, a pleasure as always. Lovely atmosphere always at this hotel. We will be back again.

• Double or Twin Room

The noise of the music in the disco and fan from kitchen should have been turned off earlier.

It was a lovely setting beautiful roof terrace. Friendly helpful staff easy walking distance from the train and right on the promenade. We will stay here again.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The air of superiority the lady who checked us in had. I feel I was fooled by Booking.com into booking a room on bb basis, which we booked from the lobby of this same hotel. When we went to the desk to check in, the older lady at the desk informed us that we actually booked on Room Only basis which I could not believe. With that air of superiority that she has, she very gladly informed us that we booked a Flash Sale, which I never saw whilst booking, and that breakfast was not included. However she could offer us breakfast at a price, which we did not take, of course. We went round the corner and had a lovely full Irish breakfast at a cute and lovely place for half the price the lady at the desk offered. I feel I was fooled by Booking.com into this booking and I am not happy at all!! Shall never return to Commodore Hotel and shall not recommend it. It us totally overpriced.

• Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was very poor. The bacon and sausages were reheated and not fresh cooked and my poached eggs were rock hard.

The location was good with friendly staff

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Breakfast very poor. Lift did not service all rooms. Parking not included, code for car park was changed on day 1, not told this, and couldn’t access car park!

Location excellent, bed very comfortable

Breakfast selection limited. Rooms are dated and need some TLC, rooms located at the back look out on the roof which isn't a pleasant view. Roof and yards need seeing too.

Staff are very friendly and helpful. Downstairs seating area and bar very nice. Hot food for breakfast served on hot plates, doesn't happen in a lot of place.

I am still awaiting the the return of the Authorisation fee that was taken from my visa card.. The staff tossed me and my queries about this around.. shifting the responsibility for this back and forth-as a result of this,i am still awaiting the return of 30euros to my account.My bank is not to blame either!.

There was a somewhat noisy vent possibly from the kitchen which was pretty loud during the night. It eventually stopped so it wasn’t bothering us all night. The room was a little warm.

The location across from the water. We were so lucky to have very warm, sunny weather which made the location extra special. The staff were very friendly. It was very close to the train satiation so we could travel to Cork easily. The room was spacious and very comfortable. I liked the classic bathroom and bathtub. We had lots of windows so a nice amount of daylight.

• Double or Twin Room

Our room looked out onto roof with heating / extractor vents which were noisy during the night

Best possible location for town and activities. Staff so welcoming and friendly. Nice big room and bathroom with all facilities we needed

Breakfast limited options Wi-fi cutting in and out. Could not complete my work. Room v pokey Bathroom v small

Reception staff v friendly Beautiful view Hotel has character. Has potential but need work to retain charm

• Double or Twin Room

Squeaky floorboards here and there but to be expected with the size and age if the hotel.

The view from my room was amazing. I was 2nd floor and can imagine the higher up the better it would be. Also the staff were super friendly and helpful. Went above and beyond.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

It’s not unusual to find older hotels, like this one, with no air conditioning.

I had sent a message through Booking.com that if we could get a water view, we would appreciate it. They received the message and granted my request. What a lovely view out of the large windows! Parking is interesting; you look for something nearby and then there are pay kiosks and it’s a euro an hour until 6:30 pm to 8:30 am (I forget the exact time). Also, the hotel has limited space nearby that you can try to get, but we arrived late enough and found a space near the hotel that it didn’t matter. . The room was stuffy as there is no ac, but they brought me a table fan. The staff was super friendly and helpful. You are minutes’ walk to the Titanic exhibit and the Cobh heritage museum, which is why I selected this venue.

• Double or Twin Room

Couldn’t check out the previous evening went to check out following morning no one there. Still awaiting Company invoice after stating 5 times between e mail and telephone calls. No commincation there between staff, ridiculous.

Confortable

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Nothing stood out as a negative during my stay. Couldn’t really think of anything.

Food was superb. Rooms were very well laid out. No issues with staff or anything. Very unique lift in the hotel - quite the experience. Early check-in allowed too which was nice.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Old style lift. Did not eat in hotel so cannot comment on that. Would need quite a bit of money to update it to modern standards. Shower lacked power..That said clean and comfy. Lack of selection on TV channels. Parking only from 6pm-10am near Hotel so car needs to be moved during the day. Staff on reception told us where to park however.

Very good location. Friendly staff, within 15 minutes of checking in a call was received asking if room was OK and if we needed anything. Nice touch, wished more hotels would do that!!! Worth paying extra for sea view with Cruise Liners passing by during Summer.

• Double or Twin Room

I'd have to be very picky but the slight fish odour but it is a seafront resort. Other than that absolutely nothing.

Very comfortable beds and very friendly staff. I liked the music and the atmosphere of the bar.

• Double or Twin Room

Very old fashioned bathroom with lots of mould around the shower also smelt as no window. Bathroom door didnt shut properly. Wasnt abe to open bedroom window very much and very dark due to frosted window. Glad we only stayed one night !

Location, comfy bed, tea/coffee facilities

• Double or Twin Room

It was a little too warm, I like to be cool when I sleep. But I understand it’s hard to keep everyone happy.

Bed was very comfortable with great pillows. The hotel was exceptionally clean. The staff were very friendly and super helpful.

• Double or Twin Room

Our room was spacious and clean. Great value for money. Staff were friendly and accommodating. Perfect location for all the tourist spots, within walking distance of all amenities. Close to cork city if you wanted a day shopping. Breakfast each morning, quick and delicious!

• Double or Twin Room

The location right on Main Street was perfect. This was once a grand hotel with large rooms and wonderful beds. It’s is slightly worn and some areas need updating.

At this time, no complaints. Everything worked well for me.

The hotel is in a good localisation, walking distance from the station, city centre and the touristic spots. The staff was very friendly and polite, answered all questions that I have as well as indicated what see and do in the city. I arrived a bit early for the check-in but the receptionist verified that they had a room ready for me and allowed me an early check-in. The room was small with a double bed, I was alone but it could fit a couple (without big cases ;) ). Bathroom small but shower was working well and everything was clean. The bed was comfy and had 4 pillows (I loved it!!!). Wifi worked well, great Irish breakfast served with continental food as an option and there is a kettle with complimentary coffee/tea in the room.

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was small and made me feel sick afterwords. It seemed like it wasn't fresh and had been sitting around for an hour or something.

The cool hotel. Historic style with friendly front desk staff. Perfect location and good parking facilities.

• Double or Twin Room

The '' non-slip'' mats in the baths are anything but. My roommate and I both took tumbles. We did bring it to the staff's attention, as it more than likely will happen again. Hopefully, they act on it.

The bedroom we stayed in had four beds! Three singles and one double. Would be ideal for golfing buddies.

• Double or Twin Room

Lovely welcome. View from room overlooking the bay was fantastic. Older hotel. Staff were all very nice and helpful. Room was great with a comfy bed and lots of hot water for the shower. Would stay here again.

• Double or Twin Room

There was banging one morning at 8 o clock. We weren't told about any construction in the hotel but we soon realised this was the cause. It wasn't pleasant to wake to as we had a long journey ahead. Staff should let customers know about this when they arrive at the hotel

Water pressure in shower on top floor room was weak. Internet in room was intermittent, but downstairs was strong.

Room was very good. The staff, food in bar, and the included breakfast were all excellent and menu was unrestricted.

• Double or Twin Room

It was drab,in serious need of updating,I found the room a bit depressing and cold,hotel bar was cold,small portions of food for price,and all the restaurants on trip advisor with good ratings were all closed,we were told they open when the feel like it.Not very tourist friendly in my opinion.

Hotel clean lovely staff,bed extremely comfortable,in the middle of everything

• Double or Twin Room

If you're a light sleeper, sound travels far...

The bed was very comfortable, the room and bathroom very clean. The food in the restaurant was excellent! The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Double or Twin Room

On our arrival on 9/03/2018 I found the receptionist not very welcoming she did not make eye contact with us no smile or greeting very rude actually...on leaving the hotel on the 11th Sunday we met such a lovely lady her name was Jill at reception very professional indeed But on saying all that I would recommend the Commodore With Regards Kathleen Corbett

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

TV Cables across bedroom floor taped up with electrical tape. TV didn’t work well. Dirty skirting boards.

The Staff were very friendly and the view was fabulous

• Double or Twin Room

The rooms although very clean are dated - some light paint on the dark furniture in rooms would make a big difference

The amazing staff - from moment we checked in - reception staff, bar staff, waitresses, breakfast staff - best ever

• Double or Twin Room

Don't know where to start we waited at least 5-10 mins to check as girl was talking , we then were informed we had to park on the street and the car park was full. That night out room was freezing and I went down to hotel reception at 10.30 pm to find no receptionist. The hotel was very noisy. Our room was dated and the view was looking out onto a boiler and a dirty roof , we went for Valentine's and we were informed of an extra 16 euro a night we would get a sea view room we had booked this weekend away 5 weeks in advance and as any other hotel it's first come first served so we thought we would be getting a sea view room . It was very disappointing .the next morning we asked if there was a space available in the car park and there was so we asked if we could park in there ,we were asked for a 20 euro deposit to park our car behind the hotel in a mucky car park where there was very little room for our car. Also the room was freezing as I stated but they rectified this the next day by putting in a heater. Our second night we went for dinner and a drink and we got back to our room at 12.30 ,the hotel was in full swing of customers ,this didn't bother us as it's for everyone to enjoy but we got to our room and the noise was unbearable the room above felt like they were going to come through the ceiling could hear every word from people walking in the hallway and also the shouting and music was just too much. We are a young couple and don't mind some great nights out but we have never experienced this before it felt like an open house we didn't sleep a wink till all ours of the morning ,and then at 11.45 a housekeeper came into our room and said check out is at 12 and we still in bed wrecked from bot being able to sleep . I thought it was very disappointing and not very professional of them to come in at that time while we were still asleep they new we were still in the room and it was only 11.45 it hadn't gone past 12 yet .

• Double or Twin Room

I was travelling with a 4 year old- our room was on the 3rd floor but seemed to be in an extended annex of the hotel- soon as we stepped into the corridor it was freezing! The room itself has no heating and was freezing- when I told reception they sent up a small heater to the room which wasn’t ideal considering I had a small child with me. This heater didn’t make much difference so again I notified reception- who said they would send someone up that evening- they eventually sent up another heater at 10:45 that night after waiting on a heater from the meeting room. Considering we had only just checked in late Thursday afternoon and how impractical heaters were with a small child I thought it would have been a better option to move us. The hotel was not full - in fact online bookings were still available! Also the hotel stated room service was available but when I rang to get food to the room I was told they didn’t offer room service which resulted in me bringing my 4 year old downstairs in the evening for some food. Not ideal for a family staying. The bed was also rock hard & very uncomfortable.

Staff were lovely very friendly , had food in the bar the food was good plenty of choice.

• Double or Twin Room

small tv. receptionist a little blunt on explaining why she took a payment and to then refund it.

the room was lovely and clean. the hotel was in very good location

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Poor breakfast for 9,50€. The food was good but not to much.

We had a room with sea view... amazing ... we saw the sunshine . The bed was really confortable. We parked on the street and we had luck because we arrive arround 4 p.m and we had one hour free parking and we’ve had to pay only one hour after because was only till 6 p.m pay parking and sunday free. So from parking point view was ok.

• Double or Twin Room

My room overlooked the rear of the Hotel, and Air Conditioning units -but hey we can't always have a sea view!

Helpful efficient staff. Meals in the bar were good.

• Double or Twin Room

Room was a little cold - we were glad there were extra blankets in the wardrobe!

Staff were extremely friendly & helpful. Room was lovely and clean. Excellent location and great value for money.. Food was excellent!

Bedroom was decorated very austerely. Restaurant not open every day.

Big, spacious bedroom, comfortable bed. Good sized bath. Hotel is old and has lots of character. It is in a good location across the road from the Heritage Centre and Titanic Museum and an easy walk to shops and cafes. Car parking is 100 metres away.

I am not sure, I parked on the street , there is Hotel Parking but I think it is limited.

Great Diner in the Bar, that is what made it for me. Breakfast was excellent and a great view of the Bay

• Double or Twin Room

I had a wonderful seaview suite on the second floor. It was a joy waking up every morning to have such a gorgeous view over Cork Harbour. The room was very comfortable and clean. The staff were very efficient and welcoming.

• Double or Twin Room

The Breakfast was very good and reasonable. Over all I would recommend. It to my friends and family. Staff very friendly,food good great location enjoyed our two nights stay

• Double or Twin Room

Room was dated and cold. We paid a flash price and it showed in the room we got. Which is fine as we didn’t expect too much but heating was poor

Hotel was clean & staff very friendly.

• Double or Twin Room

When we use the shower the following morning it jammed and we couldn't turn it off. We got a call from reception asking had we water running they had a leak. They sent someone up and they got it off straight away. I found it unusual that they knew it was our room and that despite several attempts to shut it off they were able to do it immediately. Seems they are used to it. The water was also cold or luke warm, no hot water in any tap. The staff were friendly with the exception of one male manager who was rude to both us and the otber staff and had a smart answer for everything he was asked.

Good location value for money!

• Double or Twin Room

Car park was tight and the bathrooms/ showers need an upgrade. But they were clean. Great value for money and staff are fantastic.

Staff and location

• Double or Twin Room

The room was a bit dark...but it's an old property.... and the stairs go on for ever...though that might be just me...there is a lift...ooh and the heating is hotel controlled as opposed to the individual room....but the bed has that sorted for heat and comfort

The hotel has a lovely "at home" feel to it....a mix of old and modern....comfortable and cosy...if you're expecting 5 star you're in need of a reality check...but I have stayed here several times and highly recommend it....the view at breakfast is worth it alone

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Public car parks within walking distance but also parking at hotel if you ask We parked outside for overnight stay until parking restrictions in morning kicked in

Friendly staff, good location

• Double or Twin Room

View we had looked out onto flat roofs

Hotel was fantastic clean friendly and well priced if I was staying again I would ask for a front room with a view of the sea front

• Double or Twin Room

No breakfast included. Swimming pool and sauna closed.

Very classy building and stay for decent price. Helpful staff. And most important: amazing food in the hotel's restaurant with great staff for a very good price.

• Double or Twin Room

Restaurant and bistro bar meals were good value and very well presented. Staff were very attentive and friendly. We enjoyed learning the history of the hotel and were given very helpful information about the various activities available in cobh.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Gina was exceptionally helpful, and a gentleman even parked our car for us!! Heritage building was gorgeous, location was awesome, staff was incredible

• Double or Twin Room

My room there was a damp musty smell and the shower was not good. The bed was fine but the smell was awful.

Very central and parking was very good, but it comes on a first come service.

• Double or Twin Room

The Hotel Could have included Breakfast in overall cost( We understand cost would increase)

Location of Hotel Excellent Staff all Helpful Hotel had Victorian Feel to it which our party liked

• Double or Twin Room

The parking arrangements are very primitivel.

Location is great. Ate dinner at the pub and it was good, as was the breakfast in the restaurant. Check in staff were very helpful.

• Double or Twin Room

No room to park car; Getting to room required going up, down, up, then room overlooked alley & garbage bins; No WiFi in room. Bed bad; No art in room - stark walls.

It was an excellent location right on the seafront but was not noisy for sleeping, and the staff were so helpful and friendly. It's an old hotel so it's not lacking in character, but in places some of the decor is tired (cracked tiles/wonky shower head, that kind of thing) so it probably wouldn't be best for a special treat. But for cheap and cheerful it was good, and there was brilliant live music in the bar the night we were there.

Very outdated, shower was freezing as well at tap water. Breakfast is very limited in terms of what to get

Very friendly staff. Good value for money. Close to the train station and cobh town.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Problem with hot water in bathroom. We stayed 2 nights and d price of a pint of Guinness and a vodka with a dash of sprite varied between 10.70e on first night and 9e second night in the bar.

Location fantastic. Staff very nice and room comfortable with sea view.

• Double or Twin Room

Room wasn't ideal. Bed was severely uncomfortable to the point where we were considering booking another hotel for our last night. View from the window was a bin yard when we were expecting a sea view. Construction works going on right outside our room which meant loud noises and shouting happening from early hours in the morning.

Staff were lovely upon arrival. Bar attached to the hotel served lovely food and staff there were also very friendly

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Noise. People were leaving the bar (street level) till 2:00 in the morning. Hard to sleep. Felt part of the history if the town b

Wonderful location overlooking the promenade and harbor. Delicious breakfast. Helpful and friendly staff. Historical hotel (built in 1854).

The bedroom was a lovely size but the decor definitely needs updating especially the bathroom, not a good shower at all.

Lovely friendly staff, great food and perfect location.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The Commodore Hotel is in the centre of Cobh town and a lovely spot to watch the world go by. The staff are very friendly and the bar was a lovely place for a meal and a drink. So many friendly people. I know the hotel well as I was born in Cobh and my Mum worked in the Commodore when I was very small.

It was very old and run down.... Def not worth the price we paid. Stayed with my parents and had to run their water for 10 mins before there was any hot water, which there was no power behind. The evening menu in the restaurant was well over priced. Got a fishcake that was luke warm in the middle and the texture of pate inside. The noise at the back of the hotel from young ones smoking on the exits on a Saturday night.

The location was the only good thing.

• Double or Twin Room

Everything else the food I got from the bar (burger)was served on a disgusting chopping board badly needs to be thrown out and served on a plate

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Double or Twin Room

No view from room.Window covered with obscure plastic. Room too small for a single & double bed,barely enough room to open the bathroom door as the bed was blocking it.TV not working very old.Overall very disappointing for the price. Would not stay there again.

• Double or Twin Room

En suite and TV needs upgrading

We were nicely surprised that hotel does have a private carpark however doesnt advertise it as it is small and only first come first serve rule applies. Hotel is located in the most beautiful place and we really enjoyed it. A bit disappointed that we didnt get a room with the stunning seaview though.

It's is sad to see an historical hotel in such a bad shap it looks like the owners, the O'shay family, have not invested any money over the last 10years or so. I think it should be sold to some one who has the energy to put the hotel updated for the 21st century. There are many hotels that would pay for the vue of the 2nd largest harbour in the World. I believe when this happens it will enject new growth for the owners, along with one of the most historic treasured towns in Ireland.

The staff

Shower in my room very small (im 6 foot tall) and picture on the television in my room kept jumping.

The location was excellent, the food was lovely (i tried the bar food) friendly staff and comfortable room.

• Double or Twin Room

Room was a bit stuffy and the air a bit stale - would of liked to open a window up wide and get some nice air from the harbour into the room but couldn't figure out how to in the room we stayed (might not apply to all rooms here?)....

The woman that checked us in was one of the nicest we met on this trip - very friendly & helpful to us! An old historic place to stay with lots of character to it and some nice surprises like the comfortable beds for a great night's sleep. Location is ideal, too!

• Double or Twin Room

Room was warm, no fans available, and shower was very poorly designed. I know the hotel is old, but the creaky floors were a distraction.

Loved the restaurant, staff, and location

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Had to wait over half an hr in foyer to be seated in the restaurant for meal even though over half the tables were empty.they cater more for the bar food.

Receptionist very helpful

• Double or Twin Room

The building is old the bedrooms could do with an uplift. The receptionist could have been a little friendlier. Staff were OK. The location of hotel is great but it's definitely not value for money

This is an old hotel and needs to be updated. Rooms were of a poor standard. TV was old and the shower had too low of pressure.

Was in a great location. Food was good and staff was friendly

I was there for a triathlon in Cobh and it was no trouble at all storing my bike overnight in one of the meeting rooms. The food in the adjoining restaurant was lovely and the staff were very friendly in there too. The hotel is in a great location. It is an old building and could probably do with a touch up here (especially in the en suite bathroom) but in another way, this adds to it's charm. The hotel has a small car park at the back of another property about 100m down the street.

Breakfast wasn't great, adequate but I expected more from the grand ol place!

It's a nice grand old hotel, beginning to look it's age, BUT on the whole still worth staying here! Right on the front great location, and Cobh is a real jewel in Irelands crown!

The staff was fantastic, and the hotel is nice. The complementary breakfast was average at best. The same with the attached restaurant. Decline the breakfast when booking and eat elsewhere.