Reviews of Great National Creggan Court Hotel 3 stars

N 6 Centre, Dublin Road, N37 YW25 Athlone, Ireland

#20 of 24 hotels in Athlone

• Reviewed: 16 October 2018

The food in the restaurant could do with some improvement.

The food in the restaurant could do with some improvement. The carvery looked good and seemed to be the popular choice however for our group the selection and quality of alternatives was poor. We ordered sandwiches, soup and wings and they were of a poor standard. We had to return the wings as they were so bad.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Good value for money

A more modern tv ...

Yes the breakfast was very nice & the beds we're very comfortable the room was very clean but a bit dated ...tv was very old ..

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

Comfy hotel, walking distance to AIT

Lighting - need to be add, to dark fot the room feel gloomy I have no idea whether the breakfast food is halal or not as I am no to clear upfront that I have not eat pork and lard. So just eat the one that I thoght pork and lard free

The location is near AIT and within walking distance. Room spacious. The staffs are helpfull.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

Was woken up at 4.20 with deliveries outside bed was a little small the furniture has seen better days. Breakfast was a let down bacon over done tasteless sosages cold beans and weak tea.

Car parking was good price was good and the room was big enough.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

Good little stopover for the night on the way to Galway from Dublin

The beds were a bit high to my liking. The rooms felt somewhat dated also.

It was right near a petrol station, McDonalds, dominos and subway restaurants. Very handy if you need to break up a road trip to Galway from Dublin. Rooms were also quite clean and very spacious. Free parking on site was also very handy.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

Beds were very comfy.

The carvery food was not nice. Gravy and mash was full of salt. Food was not worth the price paid..

Beds were very comfy. Quiet rooms. Friendly reception staff. Excellent WiFi. Restaurant staff were friendly

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

Cheap but not cheerful 🙁

I didn't like the hotel room torn wallpaper and very old date .. we found hairs in the bath and around the taps, bathroom needed a good clean especially the bath 😞 the staff were not very friendly other than the cleaners just one man who worked behind the bar came up and spoke to us. Very well mannered indeed pity the rest weren't as mannerly 😒

The breakfast area was lovely and warm, the breakfast was good but no black pudding and the eggs were hard but that being said there was plenty to choose from so definitely won't go hungry ☺️

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

The epitome of a happy place to lay one's head.
    • Twin/Double for Single Occupancy

The receptionist was the most helpful one I have ever come across in all my 74 years travelling the world. She gave service far beyond the call of duty. My friends and I all salute her. I will certainly return to stay at this hotel next time I am in Ireland. Though my party arrived late, at close to 9 p.m. we were served a wonderful meal fit for trenchermen such as we are. The Guinness was poured to perfection. Service in the restaurant was excellent.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Easy access, comfortable and parking available

A bit noisy with window open as our room was outside a service centre.

Comfortable place, located outside city with handy access to motorway. Good quality pub food available.

A must stay!!

I can't fault the place

Everything was perfect exalent room service the staff were so polite and most accomadateing... The food is to die for... Will definitely be back!!

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

I got a good deal on the hotel but I’m glad I did as I...

Rooms and facilities were tired, worn and run down.

I got a good deal on the hotel but I’m glad I did as I consider the price I paid only ok for my room & facilities. Bedroom & bathroom were clean and bed comfortable. It was a good location for me as I going to A.I.T during my stay (less than 1.5km) but Athlone town was about 4km away.

Quiet area, with good breakfast

We asked for a quiet room and we got a quiet one. The staff were helpful and friendly. Breakfast was good with good selection of hot and cold food.

Good for a one night stay

Breakfast was poor - only 3 cereal selections - no bowls of fresh fruit - would prefer a pot of coffee rather than having to get up and down each time. Fries food was salty - eggs over cooked

Bar food is lovely - fantastic selection and huge portions

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Overpriced .

Room very tired. Bathroom dirty. Hair in bath plug. Dirty tiles. Bed massive but very soft . Stains on the walls. Dead bug in bed by the window.

Great location just off the motorway . This was a one night stop for us en route to Dingle. Very convenient location . Buffet breakfast was great. Very fresh and breakfast staff examplary.

Basic accommodation, no frills

I think it was over priced for basic, out dated facilities. Breakfast was just ok, not a great choice. Dinner in “ gastro pub”, was over priced, “angus beef” was a very dry overlooked piece of beef, portion size was big.

Very pleasant ,helpful staff. Comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Love this place. I would recommend to anyone. Cant wait to go back!

My mother got the beef and she was not very happy with it so that would be my only complaint.

I love this hotel. Best prices around, absolutely amazing. Great staff. The bedroom was beautiful. We have booked our Second trip aready. The food was great, The cheesecake in particular was outstanding, I would go back just for that ☺👌 Athlone town have so much to offer, the shops are brilliant and everyone was so nice. Thanks Guys👌

Horrible!
    • Twin/Double for Single Occupancy

Where to start? Breakfast service starts quite late at 07:30 - especially for business travellers who have local early morning meetings (I had one starting at 08:00 in local technology company so had to leave at 07:30 - was still charged for breakfast too!) The grouting around the bath, shower and toilet was mouldy; table in room was scratched; air con units and large aerial outside window; old fashioned TV; Location not great if you want to get out for a walk; I would go on but I'd be boring! I didn't complain direct to the staff as I think this is a company issue - I have written to them and sent photos so am awaiting their response.

The only good thing going for this hotel is the staff! The receptionists were polite, smiley and friendly

Very comfortable and lovely food Great to have mcdonalds and centra onsite

Room was small enough and telly was very outdated.Our room was near side of building and could hear delivery trucks very early and a switch went off every few mins in a boiler room or something which had us awake very early in the morning aswell

Breakfast was lovely and bed was very comfortable

Convenient location, could improve on comfort.

The room needed a fresh coat of paint. The TV was old and some channels froze sometimes. The bed was not comfortable. These rooms need updating for the price charged.

Convenient location, Quiet room.

Cant praise the staff enough. Mangement should be so proud
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

There was nothing i didn't like.it had everything I required for my stay.

Staff were so helpful and friendly.such a relaxing stay after cycling from Dublin.

I really enjoyed my stay i have stayed in hotel several times and will do again all going well

I have no complaints

The receptionist was very welcoming. Room lovely and peaceful. Food was lovely and found bar staff and cleaning staff very friendly.

Dissappointing
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

No music on Saturday night, this had been promised on the hotels website, and the main bar is not great. We could not leave the hotel as our child was being babysat in our room. If you want a hotel just to sleep in, this is great, otherwise avoid.

Staff were so nice and accommodating

3 night stay for 3 people in family room
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Room was adequate as a base to stay whilst travelling around and whilst it the room was clean the overall aspect of the room was dated and shabby (old scuffed furniture, only 2 chairs in room for 3 people, no extractor in bathroom and the double bed was a bit bizarre - deep mattress and then a topper making it very high other 2 beds were fine) but it appeared that they are currently updating/refurbishing rooms so for the price I suppose it was okay. Other areas of the hotel looked fine.

Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and the staff were excellent. Had meal on one night in the hotel bar which was also excellent and bar staff helpful even though they were very busy. Ease of check-in. Clean towels and fresh toiletries every day during stay.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

When booking i looked for ground floor room as I had 11...
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

When booking i looked for ground floor room as I had 11 month old baby..and we were put on level 3...on the first nite of r stay we went to bar for dinner sitting for bout 15 wit baby no one came near us to take an order i had to go look for someone

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

The room was far too small, I booked for a family of 1 adult...
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The room was far too small, I booked for a family of 1 adult and 3 children and I got a small double bed and a single with no room for extra bed.... also there was a big stain on the wall and the bathroom was little to b desired... at the price I paid compared to a lot of other hotels in the area I expected a lot more.

Amazing place if you travel with kids (below 13) and pets and do not want to compromise on standard.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Kids have a short time to swimm before breakfast, kids are allowed to swimming pool from 9:00am but breakfast finish at 10.00am. It would be great if kids would be allowed to swimming pool from 8:30 or breakfast would be served to 10:30am allowing kids more time in swimming pool. Just an idea.Nothong else apart of that. Brilliant hotel.

Pet friendly hotel, we travelled with border collie, felt very welcome. Swimming pool for kids open from 9:00am, for adults from 6:30am so entire family can relax. Good brekfast. Amazing interior. Very relaxing stay! Well recommended.

Comfy beds really friendly staff especially in the bar and...

Only thing I could fault was the TVs in the rooms they are very old fashioned.

Comfy beds really friendly staff especially in the bar and restaurant I would deffinatly stay here again.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Shabby Great National Creggan Court

The shabby room. Breakfast was mediocre.

Nothing really. We were told it was under new management. The receptionist tried her best to improve things for us.

Helpful staff - great for direction to local attractions.

Helpful staff - great for direction to local attractions. good variety for breakfast - nice wheaten bread. comfortable room . good choice of food in bar at reasonable prices.

great experience

overall my experience was great nice hotel friendly staff and the food in the bar was excellent and the buffet breakfast all you could expect. Would recommend this hotel.

Convenient place to stay at close to the M6

Old hotel that requires deep refreshing.

Located close to the motorway between Galway and Dublin, not far from the town centre. Nice staff, excellent buffet breakfast, services and facilities nearby.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Good value with no frills
    • Twin/Double for Single Occupancy

The picture on some of the TV channels was "frozen" making certain channels completely unwatchable. This was very annoying. TV is very old and needs replacing.

Great value and location good. Just off the M6 and close to petrol station, McDs & Subway. Room basic but clean. Wifi good.

Pleasant stay

Satellite tv wasn’t perfect, bedside light not working, telephone cable looked a bit dangerous

Comfortable stay, staff were very helpful, handy location fit getting around

Great value and excellent location

Two double doors outside our bedroom were constantly banging, had to wedge them with newspaper so would not recommend room 205!

Great location and excellent value, very friendly staff.

Overall a very pleasant stay.

We were at the front of the hotel and deliveries to the local petrol station and shops were carried out at 5 -5.30am..... Our friends were at the other side of the corridor and did not hear any of the noise. ! We were in room 214, ask for a room with an uneven number....

Room comfortable, but very warm. Staff very pleasant. Excellent food in the Granary Bar, reasonably priced.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Did the job, comfortable room

View is of a petrol station and it’s away from the town. Basically like a U.K. motorway services hotel. Service was slow in the restaurant but good when it arrived.

Food was good. Staff friendly.

We had a great time in Athlone.. hotel very nice but bit far out if drinking and have to get a taxi.

€12 from Athlone in a taxi. No swimming pool. Only a few tv stations (saorview i think). Loud noise from plumbing when taps are on in other rooms..

Good selection for breakfast.. room has a bath. Easy to find room. Friendly reception.McDonalds next door to hotel and Centra.

A fair hotel in an excellent location for me for a fair price for what we got.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Hotel was a bit tired looking & dusty. TV kept freezing. Beds were unnescessary high. I booked a family room 2 adults & 2 children. Got a room with 1 double bed & 1 single bed. It was a tight squeeze.

Location was excellent. Staff was friendly. Plenty of free parking. A petrol station/Spar shop directly in front of hotel was very convenient..

The one waitress we had.
    • Twin/Double for Single Occupancy

On the first night we ate outdoors but on the second night it was not allowed. We went elsewhere to eat.

The one waitress we had. A lovely woman. I'm sorry I forget her name.

Great location, Nessa in the restaurant very helpful with the young kids..
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The temperature was extremely hot and room was like an oven, reception were not very helpful in finding us a fan! Very difficult trying to keep two young kids cool..

We found staff mostly great, particularly Nessa, she couldn’t have been more helpful and accommodating. .

Trip to Athlone
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Rooms were a little dated. Bathroom side panel needed painting. Decor of room not as displayed on booking.com

Reception staff at time of booking in were excellent. She was full of information. This property offered great value for money.

Notthing

Staff of the hotel lobby were unfriendly, carpets on the stairs needed replacing, the toilet facilities in the room were hostel like, room stunk of cigarette smoke, bed was uncomfortable (hard), noise from restaurant was a disgrace staff not helpfull Holes in bed sheets dam in bathroom Avoid at all cist

Notthing

Very comfortable - great value for money

- No air-conditioning (which on the hottest days in Athlone since 1976 was a great miss);

- Very helpful and friendly staff; - Excellent location (easy access from the motorway); - Beds were very comfortable; - Rooms were clean and had all the necessary amenities; - Good value for money.

We were a family of four with two teenagers who loved having...
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The beds were very high, I nearly needed a step to get into the bed & very hard.

We were a family of four with two teenagers who loved having their own single beds. There was loads of room for us all, very spacious and clean. There was a good size bathroom and an area to sit and put on make-up or dry your hair away from the main room. Brilliant breakfast with a great choice

My husbent and myself had a wonderfull time

the bedroom was to small ok for one night.When I book again I would like a bigger room

staff were very good food was the best and very good value I will come back

Dissapointing
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

I didn't like the generator going all night. I didn't like the fact the Restaurant wasn't open and there was only a carvery in the Granary Gastro Pub .We also had booked a boat cruise with Romaris Motor Yacht,and he never turned up, very disappointing.

Beds were comfy ,Bathroom clean. Views good.

The manager was very good-she spoke to the noisy people and...

Noisy people next door

The manager was very good-she spoke to the noisy people and also gave us a change of room when asked. There was excellent customer service here and I would definitely come back again.

Hotel very outdated. Some rooms did appear to have been redecorated but not ours unfortunately. Family room we got was very small and didn’t have a camp bed which we had requested. They then squeezed the camp bed into an already tiny room The weather was so hot and rooms had no air con, so with 4 of us in a room it was roasting.

friendly staff

Basic, but comfortable budget stay.

Would have been better if breakfast was included for the price I paid, but it was not. There was some noise from the petrol station in front of the hotel and patrons of the bar at night, again out front, and as my room was front facing and it was so warm I had to have the window open or the room was stifling.

Room was pretty basic, comfortable bed, very high mattress. basic facilities such as in room tea/coffee and hairdryer etc, but everything was clean and what you needed was there. I did not avail of breakfast so cannot comment on that. Staff were pleasent enough, had to wait at reception for a little over five minutes before I could check out as there was no one around.

Peaceful and relaxing. As a woman staying on my own I felt very comfortable in the hotel.

Not enough milk for tea/coffee in room.

Water pressure in shower was excellent. Enjoyed reading newspaper while having breakfast, staff even refilled my coffee.

Good position for travelers easy access to motorway.

Cheap but not so cheerful. Rooms not so clean , very tired and smelt of damp carpet in front of entrance door and bathroom badly stained. lots of noise from filling station and McDonalds adjacent

Good position for travelers easy access to motorway.

Great stay - we will definitely be back.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Breakfast was just okay (we're very fussy about our hotel breakfasts 😊). Eggs just a little overcooked and felt like they might have been sitting a while. But again, staff very helpful so not a big issue.

Great location for a stop off on journey from the West to Dublin. Lovely, friendly, helpful staff. Extremely clean. And rooms lovely and quiet.

Enjoyable, comfortable, lovely bar staff too

No negative feedback, all positive

Excellent staff. Receptionist very friendly and helpful. Food was very tasty, and top class presentationof of food.

Old & newer rooms be aware

We got a very old fashioned room with a very old television & a tiny bath room which we we're not happy with.

We rang reception because we we're very unhappy with our room. We got a very nice staff member which changed our room to a modern spacious which we really liked.

Absolutely fabo services.

Absolutely fabo services. Louise- pure legend Angela- brillo reception manager Inga- lovely accommodation manager Bar- great staff Food- delightful

Don’t get room 207 as it is directly above where the night...

No air conditioning so had windows open but noisy

Don’t get room 207 as it is directly above where the night staff have cigarette breaks and chats, so disturbed every time they went out.

Great staff

A little shabby but that should not detract from great value for money.

The staff were brilliant, particularly the receptionist who helped get a ground floor room for me when I arrived early and feeling unwell. Thanks a million.

Wouldn't stay again

Quite dated not impressed by bedroom facilities shower didn't work bathroom tiny..maid walked in on me whilst in bath !!

Near to our purpose of visit to ireland ..breakfast nice

Give this hotel a visit

Staff are an asset to the hotel. Accommodating, helpful, chatty and there when needed. Nothing was too much for them. Even gave us an upgrade without any hassle or extra cost. Food was delicious and very reasonable. Plenty of option and supply for breakfast.

Cheap and basic but good

TV connection ropey

Staff v friendly. Strange position almost middle of retail park but shop right opposite. As long as you don't want pretty surrounding it's absolutely grand.

Bar staff and waiting staff were so friendly, Dan stood out...

I had no shower working for my entire stay. The noise was very loud coming from the outside, I think it was a garage pump running all night.

Bar staff and waiting staff were so friendly, Dan stood out a mile as being very professional.

Fantastic

It was all fantastic We stayed here because we could not find anywhere in Galway due to Ed Sheran being in town. This was a stroke of luck to find such an amazing hotel in Athlone. One night here was not enough.

The hotel was amazing. I had to give it full marks on everything because it was perfect. The hotel and the food was lovely and the Guinness was the best I have ever tasted *****

Value for money
    • Twin/Double for Single Occupancy

Other than that everything was excellent, staff were really friendly and accommodating

The only thing I could say , was that there was a smell of cigarettes in my room when I entered. I don’t smoke but I was only there for a short time each day so it didn’t bother me that much. It was just a bit off putting when I opened the door

Clean, lovely staff and great location!

The pillows were flat as pancakes ... asked for more and was told they had full house so no extra pillows. Time this hotel got a load of new pillows and some extra as well! We couldnt of been the only ones asking for more pillows. Thats the only fault i had.

Clean, lovely staff and great location!

Lovely hotel but I most say the bed was very hard to sleep could have been more comfortable.

First thing on Monday morning my shower would not work could not contact reception as the phone line was dead ,when down to explain but the staff member could not help me Had to have a wash in the sink, but I did did get a discount when I paid my bill ,

Lovely hotel very clean - staff were great very helpful, and the food was excellent and the prices not bad at all.

totally not satisifed for price i paid as no breakfast was included in price

staff not intrested ,tables all sticky not cleaned or cleared for ages after people eat ,have to get up to get staff to come to take order ,did not like fact a dog at next table as we were trying to eat our dinner ,bathroom big door stop right next to bath as you step out ,child or older person can easily catch their toe on this.no way would I stay here again

food was good

Very disappointing breakfast!

We checked into the hotel at 4pm on the Saturday then got ready and went into the town to have dinner. At about 7pm the receptionist, who checked us in, rang me to ask were we joining them tonight in the Creggan Court. I proceeded to tell her we had already checked in and she apologised for the confusion so there was no further issue. But when we went to check out on Sunday we were charged extra to what had been quoted on Booking.com, saying breakfast was €12 per person and the rooms were €135 each for 2 rooms. It was meant to only be €250 including breakfast for both rooms. Eventually that was also sorted out despite even more confusion. The breakfast was very poor. We arrived down to breakfast at 10.15, there was no one to greet us, take our room number or show us to a table. We waited a few minutes and eventually just sat at one of the only free tables. We then waited for the table to be cleaned, which it wasn't so we had to move to a smaller table which was quite cramped for 5. We asked for tea when we sat down but it wasn't given to us, so we asked a different person and one small pot was brought to us for 5 people. As we were told breakfast was served until 10.30, we didn't see a problem with arriving at 10.15. There was no hot food left at all, bar a few beans and one or two mushrooms. I was surprised by this given the room was full and people were still arriving. When I asked I was told there was more to come. About 10 minutes later 6 hash browns were brought out, and gone within a few seconds, as the place was full. Another 5 minutes later some under cooked sausages appeared and then 10 minutes later rashers were brought out, which also appeared to be under cooked. There was also a pancake machine that did not appear to be working. Also there was a very limited selection of fruit, juices and pastries. In the end none of us ended up eating a full Irish, which we had wanted as it was advertised when we booked.

The night porter was very kind and helpful. The rooms were perfect and comfortable.

Staff friendly and willing to sort any issues out , good...

Pillows lumpy , used jug left in room from Saturday night until Monday night and milk in it gone off , used soap n bathroom not removed daily , room a little cool and couldn’t get radiator to work

Staff friendly and willing to sort any issues out , good parking

Room not like pictures on internet but comfy and clean.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Room very dated - very old style telly with few channels and tea/ coffee facilities in our room quite limited.

Extremely comfortable beds!! Lovely crisp white sheets!

Had a wonderful stay here, would definitely choose Creggan Court again

It was difficult to get a sandwich in the lounge, staff were very busy and eventually we were able to place an order. However the chef had left and lounge staff made the sandwiches themselves. Their inexperience in this area showed.

Staff were very helpful and friendly. There was a lively atmosphere and the room was very comfortable.

athlone on business
    • Twin/Double for Single Occupancy

table felt sticky perhaps a different cleaning product window had a broken catch huge roadwork in town center no warning signs anywhere note not the hotels fault

reorgainsed breakfast layout good bed very comfortable location great easy access to shops roundabout etc

Bed good -Breakfast not so good!
    • Twin/Double for Single Occupancy

Public areas need a serious overhaul, very dated.

Good Location in Athlone but hotel oddly situated behind a petrol station. Breakfast was very poor, selection bad, tables sticky and room needs a serious update. Bar food good and service was excellent. Room very comfortable, and clean.

Won't return

There was no hot water & very little effort seemed to being made to correct the problem. Asked for some relief on the bill because of water situation and simply got the breakfast charge removed.

Nice breakfast

Said we were closer than we actually were to another hotel that we had a wedding in. Ended up having to pay €20 in taxi to wedding venue

Nice breakfast

Excellent Good Value

No heat came on in the morning.

We were going to a wedding I rang the Hotel Thursday morning and spoke to Lucinda. She was more than helpful the way she dealt with my Inquiry, when we arrived to check in on Friday morning the receptionist again checked that the room was ready for occupation he had informed the staff to do so. Thank you.