Reviews of The Harlequin Hotel 4 stars

Lannagh Road, Castlebar, Ireland

#8 of 16 hotels in Castlebar

The decor was beautiful in reception and the bar.
    • Double or Twin Room

Minor issue with the parking. Not the hotels fault.

The decor was beautiful in reception and the bar. We were made feel welcome as soon as we arrived. The service was excellent.

Smallest Bar in Castlebar
    • Double or Twin Room

Not a 4 star hotel only two choices of drinks guinness not good, and heineken not even a big bottle of 7up to make a shandy you would have to buy a small bottle at 3.20E. Breakfast was good but we were not given the menu at an extra cost of 20E. Rexaxed atmosphere seating in the lobby very small also small crowd six cpls

Relaxed atmosphere lobby tastefully decorated even the tulips matched the furniture. Nice sunny bedroom very warm had to get a fan

My stay was comfortable and very enjoyable.
    • Double or Twin Room

Haven't anything bad to say.

Hotel staff friendly. Great variety of food for breakfast and for dinner. They also have a snack menu. Room very comfortable. Close to city centre and shops. Would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family. Excellent parking facility.

Pleasent short stay
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

It was extremely warm and there was no air con i felt rooms should have had a fan at least as it was too warm and window didnt open far

Room was spacious and comfortable

The breakfast was wonderful and all the staff were really...
    • Double or Twin Room

We had a courtyard room and if was too warm because of the high temperatures!!

The breakfast was wonderful and all the staff were really friendly and helpful

Nolan Carlow
    • Double or Twin Room

It was a clean hotel with great breakfast and v friendly and helpful staff.Car park free n close in location.The hotel is walking distance from shopping and bar areas.Its easy to access from N5..and close to all popular tourism spots..Croagh Patrick Achill and Knock.

So enjoyable.

Everything was great.

The brightness of the decor. The staff were so friendly food great got what we ordered even though my request was a little different to what was on the menu it was no trouble to them to do it just the way I asked.Thank you.

we would definitely stay at the harlequin again.
    • Double or Twin Room

more than half the meals on the menu contained celery.

this hotel was in the right place for our needs, it was close to town if you needed to do some shopping in the excellent selection of shops and if you like to walk there is an excellent purpose built walk that caters for all all level of walkers.

A lovely stay in a lovely hotel
    • Double or Twin Room

I felt really safe as you could only enter the floor where your room is located by using your room fob key. The hotel itself is modern and all facilities in the room worked and looked good. The bed was really comfy and clean. I didn't use the restaurant so can't comment on that. The one staff member I dealt with on checking in and out - I only stayed on night - was really helpful and pleasant. Would definitely stay again if in area.

The bed was comfortable.
    • Double or Twin Room

Thee was nothing seriously wrong with this hotel. It was the sort of hotel which suits people on business in a strange town. It describes itself as chic and boutique. The mirrors in the bedrooms were slightly quirky but otherwise it was just a standard three star business hotel.

The bed was comfortable.

Nice hotel close to town and bus transportation.

Nothing comes to mind.

Close access to town and bus . Lough Lannagh is nearby and a beautiful place for a walk. Staff made excellent recommendation for dining.

Good
    • Double or Twin Room

Chaos at breakfast and lack if kindness of the breakfast manager who turned a family of 4 with a 6-7 year old hungry child wanting to have breakfast.

Receptionist was very nice and helpful.

Its what the customer wants in a place to stay.

Every thing.

This was my second visit to the Harlequin Hotel and I have to say its as good as my first visit. Clean, friendly staff, good food, central location, what more could you want, just book it.

Poor stay
    • Double or Twin Room

No air conditioning in the rooms or in the corridor. Very hot each night. Fridge in room was not working or in our friends room. Took very long to get teas/coffees at breakfast. Very slow to refill things at breakfast - milk was empty for a long time.

The staff member serving us food on arrival is in need of...
    • Double or Twin Room

The staff member serving us food on arrival is in need of retraining; despite his age. He came to my table to remind me there was a bar tab outstanding. I found out later that he was referring to some drinks relating to a different group. When asked to add ice and lemon to a vodka, his reply was “that will take longer”. Not 4 Star service!

Girls night away.

Beside a busy road.

Comfy beds , warm welcome from a lovely lady called Lisa , so very friendly and helpful,good breakfast , and spacious clean room, .

Nice place with good staff, but overpriced!
    • Double or Twin Room

Although we enjoyed our stay I feel that rating this hotel as a four star establishment is not accurate and that the room was over priced. There were no additional facilities (e.g. pool, spa that in my experience is usually offered with a 4 star) and the smaller touches such as breakfast cooked to order, complimentary water in the room, dressing gowns and nice toiletries were not provided.

I liked the location, it was clean and the staff were very friendly.

There was no bar area other than the lobby and the breakfast...
    • Double or Twin Room

There was no bar area other than the lobby and the breakfast didn't cater for vegetarians adequately. The reception staff were very helpful but the bar staff and waiting staff looked like they didn't enjoy their jobs.

Perfection - simply the best.
    • Double or Twin Room

The mirror was too high to be used by my wife when sitting at the unit (room 312) and perhaps the bedside lamp could be angled or a little brighter for reading.

Friendly staff, very clean rooms and impressive foyer. Comfortable beds. No noise from adjacent rooms or corridor. Tastefully decorated and carpeted on upper floors sometimes neglected in other hotels. Lovely restaurant for evening meals and snacks and coffee throughout the day. Fresh iced drinking water always available in the foyer. Easy access to car parking.

Comfortable secure
    • Double or Twin Room

Receptionist on checking out had no customer care competencies whaf so ever no eyecontact etc very disappointing. Bar staff friendly

Comfortable and location perfect

Nice people
    • Double or Twin Room

Room incomplete second bed notime dressed . No hairdryer, fridge or satisfactory toiletries. Bathroom fan excessively noisy

Staff friendly and helpful. Food good

Nice place to stay
    • Double or Twin Room

After staying in a small B&B, I loved the size of the room. It was spacious, clean and comfortable. The location was very near to the city center and pubs and shops.

The location is great, the staff were all friendly, it was...
    • Double or Twin Room

The location is great, the staff were all friendly, it was walking distance to the whole town. The restaurant served delicious food and the staff there were both helpful and funny. Overall, I truly enjoyed my stay.

very comfortable stay
    • Double or Twin Room

just that we always seem to get the last room on the corridor and as we are in our 60 it would be nice to have a room nearer to the stairs. However we always book via booking.com and notice that this is the usual. We visit the hotel at least twice a year as we have family in Castlebar

Lovely pancakes for breakfast - freshly made up on request bed very comfortable

Great location, lovely room - 108- and really friendly staff . Great that car parking was free!!
    • Double or Twin Room

For the rate I paid, breakfast should have been included. €298 is a lot to pay for room only. I paid €20 extra for breakfast. Radio was not available through the channels on the tv

Very friendly staff and good efficient service at breakfast.

Great hotel central location great food and staff and not overpriced
    • Double or Twin Room

I have no negatives about this hotel

Price was excellent Staff helpful and friendly Room was comfortable and clean Food was excellent No issues whatsoever

A brilliant stay
    • Double or Twin Room

Brilliant staff were so friendly beds were so comfortable the room was very cosy the staff always were happy it was like home away from home definitely worth it I will be definitely be back the room was huge for 2 people absolutely everything about the Harelequin was unreal I have no complaints about anything it is in a brilliant location so handy too Castlebar town

Great staff at a great location with undercover free parking
    • Double or Twin Room

Noise from road - replacement windows and/or thermal curtains/blinds would make a huge difference

Great staff and friendly relaxed atmosphere. Under cover garage parking free to guests.

Excellent experience. Have extended my stay from 10 days to 21 days.
    • Double or Twin Room

I was a little surprised to find that there was no fridge.

The staff were very helpful with local matters and gave me exceptional assistance when I ran into some health problems. The room was comfortable. Location was handy to supermarkets and town shops. Free covered parking was very welcome. WiFi was good. Laundry service good. Buffet breakfast very good.

This is our favorite hotel Never disappointed with our stay...
    • Double or Twin Room

This is our favorite hotel Never disappointed with our stay Lisa at reception and angel at the bar so helpful and generous with advice and time to make you feel Special all staff were nice

All our needs met and they paid the parking charge.
    • Double or Twin Room

We were to warm in the room but a nice receptionist said we could have turned off the radiator ourselves!

Comfortable bed, Good TV, Everything crisp and clean, Friendly Staff. Good location.

I would most definitely stay there again and recommend it to friends.

There wasn’t anything I didn’t like .may be I have ticket those smiley faces the wrong way .

The staff were just excellent couldn’t do enough for us .the room was spotless.the lady on the reception definitely goes the extra mile sorry I don’t know her name .

Once acclimated everything was great - especially the front desk personnel (hi, Lisa!).
    • Double or Twin Room

Finding outlets for phone chargers was not easy - they were under the bedside stands! The hair dryer didn't last long enough actually dry my hair as it shut down cool down.

Excellent location, convenient car park and access to hotel. Close access to gas station, shops, pubs and grocery store. Felt secure and appreciated the quiet of the room. The window actually opened for fresh air!

Modern hotel with lovely decor and very friendly staff
    • Double or Twin Room

The staff were lovely especially Lisa at reception who was so friendly and helpful. Told me I looked lovely as we going to event. The room was fabulous and excellent value for money

Will definitely be back. Great stay
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

I couldn’t find any fault with the hotel

Everything about this hotel was brilliant. Brilliant value. Food was amazing. Staff are so helpful. Will definitely be back.

Rude staff with the exception of one male. Won't stay again.
    • Double or Twin Room

Hairs on the bed. Old toilet seat with paint coming off. No water in room or vending machine near by. Sounded as if window was open but it was closed. Staff didn't come back to take dessert order. At breakfast we weren't given the menu and didn't realise there was one until it was given to table beside us. By the time we were given tea my breakfast was eaten. We werent asked how our stay was on checkout. Small bar and restaurant.

Food was nice.

The lady at reception was very pleasant and devoted her...
    • Double or Twin Room

Could not find fault with any aspect of the Harlequin Hotel.

The lady at reception was very pleasant and devoted her full attention to looking after us. Everything was explained clearly which made us feel very welcome. Room was lovely and warm on a cold wet evening. The food in the restaurant was excellent and very reasonably priced. Breakfast was also excellent with a wide selection of food including perfectly done bacon. Parking was complementary in the adjoining multi-storey car park.

Most enjoyable stay
    • Double or Twin Room

It was lovely we will be back in june

It's our second time to stay love the hotel and the staff are brilliant.especially Lisa on reception she gaves us some great recommendations

The beds were super comfy - great mattresses, great night’s...
    • Double or Twin Room

You claim to be doing your bit to save the planet, yet the shower gel contains formaldehyde, so I would not use them. Get eco friendly bath products and i would give you 10 for facilities.

The beds were super comfy - great mattresses, great night’s sleep. Staff very helpful.

Faulty phone should have been identified before I checked in

I asked for wake up call, didn't happen as phone wasn't working & woke up late myself, only realised phone wasn't working when I failed to work shower & tried ringing front desk for help. As I was undressed at this stage I couldn't walk down to front desk for help !!! disastrous start to my work day

Great stay would recommend!

Facilities, small bar area

Really nice stay,food was lovely and hotel is clean and comfortable. I would love if there was more facilities such as a pool and some entertainment at night.

Fantastic Hotel with fabulous Staff and excellent food.
    • Double or Twin Room

A musician playing easy listening music would have been nice on the Sunday evening.

Fantastic Hotel with fabulous Staff and excellent food. 4* treatment all the way. very clean and I definitely will be back. Credit to all who work in this Hotel.

The breakfast was excellent buffet service.

No tea making facilities in room, not a big issue

The breakfast was excellent buffet service. Good cooked Irish breakfast. Room was nice and warm on a frosty day. Towels were hung on hot bars which was a nice touch. Staff were very pleasant and willing to help

Comfy, well located hotel. Would return.
    • Double or Twin Room

Only small plates available at breakfast. Buffet style with no tray available. I chose a bowl of fruit salad and toast. Hands full. Not great for a customer travelling alone. Should I have made multiple trips to the buffet while leaving my personal items alone at my table.

Wonderfully friendly staff

Bad experience.
    • Double or Twin Room

The beds were awful. The pillows were like very hard. The bathtub had a blockage so the water wasn't running down. Even couldn't push the knob to get the shower working. Had to get water in the hand to was the face and during this all the water started pooling in the bath tub. Oh what a experience, felt as was standing in a dirty pool of water. The hotel's reception and first floor was covered with the smell of food being prepared in the kitchen. So if you r dressed up for a meeting, by the time u get out ur clothes are smelling food. Not to my expectations, but then this is what u get in Castlebar I guess.

Location only.

very comfey, bright and friendly, breakfast fab seclection, very well priced @45 pp. will return.
    • Double or Twin Room

i think with the clever use of the mirrors in dividing the foyer and the dining /bar area could be used to accommodate a full bar by untilising the space better, it would be nice to be able to sit and have a beer with friends and enjoy the surrondings of the hotel

the brightness and the decor of the whole hotel

Very good place to stay (beware the designer decor).
    • Double or Twin Room

Campy decor is overdone (some will love it). Glare from halogen lighting in common areas made me feel uncomfortable (exacerbated by beveled mirrors, crystal light shades and shiny, reflective floor tiles).

Warmth and friendliness of staff; excellent location for business trip to Castlebar; keen internet price; calming and subdued decor in bedroom with pleasant woodland views.

Stress ftee

Ovem from England for a funeral. Staff were so helpful and friendly. Special mention for reception lady, she was amazing, helped us find funeral parlour and chemist . Location was perfect,

Relaxed, comfortable hotel in a beautiful part of the world!
    • Double or Twin Room

Slightly unfriendly service in the restaurant when we had our evening meal on the first night. One of the waitresses was lovely, the one who took our order, but the other one pretty much slammed our dinners down on the table and failed to even make eye contact.

Lovely big bedroom, very quiet. Free car parking in a proper car park on the same floor as our bedroom was great!

100% service and would recommend this hotel brillam
    • Double or Twin Room

THERE IS NOTHING U COULD DO BETTER WE GOT 100% while we stayed with u during the bad weather

The staff were so friendly and helpful couldn't do enough for us . THE hotel was spotless and the food was excellent .Keep up the good work .we will b back soon again THANKU

very very happy with my stay we had 5 star treatment all the way.
    • Double or Twin Room

Everything was excellent, staff were very pleasant & helpful beds very comfy & food was excellent will certainly be back again & will recommend it to my friends.

had a great sleep
    • Double or Twin Room

The hotel is just super my daughter was in hospital and I had to book a room for a few nights but I had to book one night at a time as I didnt know wat was happening with my daughter and I have to say the receptionist was lovely and very helpful thank you great hotel

We enjoyed our stay in the hotel. The staff were so helpfull.
    • Double or Twin Room

Thought that €115 was a bit expensive for a couple for one night.

I liked every thing about the hotel.It is close to the theatre and the car park and shops. The food was excellent.

A nice modern hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room

A nice modern hotel.Room warm and bed comfortable. in good position for shops. Staff extremely friendly and helpful, especially Ruth and Aiden , who couldn't have done more to help re-book another flight when ours was cancelled due to the bad weather,twice

Relaxing, nice food and I will be back!
    • Double or Twin Room

This hotel is a lovely find and was brilliant for a quiet night away. I would definitely stay again; fantastic value for money and the staff were very nice and welcoming.

We had a nice relaxing weekend in a lovely comfortable hotel.c
    • Double or Twin Room

The restaurant and lobby area felt cold.

The food was excellent and good value for money. Breakfast was served till 11am at the weekend which was great.

Exceeded expectations
    • Double or Twin Room

Toilet was broke causing some noise during the night

Staff Maria was lovely and accommodating very friendly - breakfast was gorgeous and staff friendly .

Reception staff very good , bar food/ breakfast excellent

See above

overall it was a good stay, with 1 exception the bar ran out of bacardi on Saturday afternoon, and failed to restock, not one staff member made any effort to resolve/ restock bar.See

Perfect weekend break.
    • Double or Twin Room

Fantastic Hotel with excellent staff. Rooms are spacious with really comfortable beds and the breakfast is very good. This hotel is one of the cleanest hotels I have stayed in. Highly Recommend!!!

Excellent room.
    • Double or Twin Room

Issue with light switches that I could not figure out. Need to label which switch is for the bathroom

Excellent room. Clean and comfortable. Not too hot.

Great for a short stay especially for business

Some small comments - kettle not emptied from previous guest / toilet was clean but not flushed / signage needed in lift to let people know which floor they need to go to for parking.

Overall very pleased - lobby nice and bright and staff extremely helpful and friendly.

Brought my mum here for a few days to visit family in the area ... we will be back...

Nothing it was lovely

The staff was so friendly and very helpful. The food what can I say wonderful 😚and the car park being so close was great as I could not walk very far ...

Would recommend location to see a lovely town
    • Double or Twin Room

Only one issue, the jeep would not fit in car park, but receptionist kindly let us park just outside hotel

Everything was lovely, staff were very friendly and helpful

In general the stay was very good and I would stay with you next I'm in Castlebar.
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was a little disappointing . The hot items had run out and not replenished. Some of the restaurant staff may have been new in the job as they did not seem to know what to do. Second morning was better but again one of the staff was unsure of what was available on the menu.

The hotel in general was very good. Reception staff were professional and friendly.

Overnight at the Harlequin
    • Double or Twin Room

The hotel was close to everything, the location was really central but yet at the same time it was quiet, so a good nights sleep was had. Mcdonalds is across the road and chopped. The food in the hotel was gorgeous

Fantastic stay and we would definately stay there again and would recommend to family and friends
    • Suite

No cutlery or plates or glasses or extra mugs cups in the kitchenette so kind of defeats the object of having a kitchette. It would also benefit from having a microwave in it too as other suites around the country have. The room would be extra special if they put a Jacuzzi in the bathroom

We were in suite 307. It was amazing. Such a spacious room and comfy huge bed and fabulous couch in front of the television. Really great view. Loved the roof to floor Windows. Fantastic Television. Picture practically 3D

The rooms are comfortable and the staff friendly.
    • Double or Twin Room

Walls don't offer much sound proofing. Kitchen stops serving a little early - I got the train to Castlebar which arrives just after 9pm. Hot food stops being served at 9:30. Its not enough time to get there and have something to eat.

Friendly helpful staff and clean comfortable rooms.

Very enjoyable, will be back for sure
    • Double or Twin Room

Maybe sepetate bar ,lounge area. Very open but still nice.

Comfy rooms close to tr venue. Resturant lovely but maybe something on menue for plain eaters like plain chicken pork etc

Bedroom was lovely the bed was so comfortable shame about the reception area.
    • Double or Twin Room

The bar facilities are dreadful. The television was so small I couldn't see it. Had to go elsewhere to watch the rugby match. The restaurant shouldn't be on top of reception

like from a bad movie
    • Double or Twin Room

this hotel prepared an out of the world experience. We went here for a romantic getaway with my boyfriend. I arrived alone as he got held up at work and already at the check in the receptionist was extremely impolite and arogant requeste my id, creditcard and cash deposit and then made me wait for 4hours for the room in an empty reception. When I asked about some romantic spots to visit she to gave me a map and told me to look it up there. Same when I asked where I can go for quick snack while waiting. When I finally got to the room someone kept knocking on my door apologizing that they must have wrong door. This happened twice before my bf finally arrived. We ordered room service and he went to take a shower. After the food arrived the real fun started. Some strange guy who turned out to be hotel security, put his chair right outside our door and was sitting there. When my bf asked what it was about he said it was security measure because of the game and because it was saturday. My bf asked him to sit elsewhere but he didn’t. We tried to call reception to complain but the room phone was not working. So we decided to walk down and we found the security guy with his ear glued to the door nearly fell in when we opened it. This was our limit, we packed up and left after hudge argument with the reception as apparently all this was completely normal and we had no right to complain. Total waste of 300€ never again seriously I still can’t believe this was possible and actually happened to me

Bedroom was very comfortable and quite plus 11am breakfast...
    • Double or Twin Room

164 Euro was a little bit on expensive side for one night stay without breakfast in early February

Bedroom was very comfortable and quite plus 11am breakfast was excellent.

My stay was very relaxing.
    • Double or Twin Room

The 'mood' of a bar in the 'bar' was missing.

The breakfast was very good. The rooms were very spacious and comfortable. The staff were very welcoming and courteous. Check-in/check-out was seemly.

Lovely hotel for a short stay in Mayo, I could highly recommend it.
    • Double or Twin Room

The staff were so efficient and friendly. We eat in the hotel and the food was excellent, room very warm and comfortable. Really enjoyed our stay.

Comfortable stay but let down for breakfast.
    • Double or Twin Room

I’ve stayed a number of times at your hotel and always loved the breakfast buffet but for some reason last week you changed to an ordered menu for breakfast. The quality of food was also disappointing to say the least as it seemed to have also changed. Please bring back the buffet and let your customers have a choice.

I got good value for money so would be happy to stay here again and would recommend it too
    • Double or Twin Room

Wifi signal was v weak in our bedroom which was irritating. No Leisure facilities available but maybe some alternate venue could be organised as is done in other hotels who lack this facility.

Staff were friendly helpful Location is excellent. Room was warm cosy. Good value for money. Convenient free car parking