Reviews of Donnybrook Hall 3 stars

6 Belmont Avenue, D4 Dublin, Ireland

#1 of 93 B&Bs and Inns in Dublin

9.8

9.8

Parking limited but superman Terry sorted it out.

The staff were excellent especially the boss Terry. Nothing was too much trouble and he gave good useful advice. The breakfast was amazing, if anything too much choice. The premises are decorated to a very high standard . Easy walking distance to city centre. Would most definately stay again

With a name like Donnybrook hall and also hotel mentioned here and there one may expect a house like a mansion. It is not. Where the Hall is I will never know, it is a very small house and we had a room in the garden, very nice but the bed was just so-so. If you come from 4 star hotels that charge less than this B&B you may feel like we did, that the rooms are very overpriced. But this is Dublin!

Friendly owner, nothing is too much trouble. Nice area good bus connections.

No room for improvement !

This was an immaculate place to stay with such gracious people and beautiful surroundings. Very helpful and kind staff inculding Terry and his wonderful daughter and the very sweet meal assistant as well as the young man who welcomes us in.

I phoned the number given 20 times for information, it was never answered.

Everything. Staff were fantastic. Room was luxurious. Facilities within the room were perfect. Location to my needs couldn't have been better. Thank you for a wonderful stay. I would highly recommend to anyone, long or Short term

• Budget Single Room

- I didn't like the room. It was extremely small. Donnybrook Hall has really nice rooms but in this review I have to rate the room that I stayed, which was very small and not comfortable. It was also cold during the night. - The room was not very clean. - I believe although it's a high season in Dublin, the room that I stayed was not value for money.

+ I liked a lot the area. Donnybrook Hall is located in a very nice neighbourhood, and very close to Dublin City centre by bus.

Very basic facilities and rom. My room was particualry awful as it was on the GF just next to the front door so I was awake until the last person came in and woke as the first person left. And curtains left a lot to be desired - didn't do much to keep out the light. Strong advice - if you stay here insist you don't get the GF front room.

It was cheaper than other properties |I have stayed at locally

Absolutely fantastic. Modern clean rooms and bathrooms with staff who couldn’t do more to help and a breakfast to die for. In its location with local amenities and good bus routes you couldn’t ask for more. Terry and team are fantastic, offering above and beyond.

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

I liked everything. I was greeted very nice on arrival. The room was lovely! In the morning I had a most wonderful breakfast, fantastic Muesli and Salmon with toast (didn't need lunch afterwards). Very nice was that Terry is speaking Irish / Gaeilge and I could try and talk with him with the little I know. Have to learn more and come back! :)

• Budget Single Room

A bit expensive for me, but it really worths it

We feel special there. There are a lot of little details and attentions that make us feeling welcome. The breakfast is far above the usual in hotels and, above those in other guest houses.

We wish we could have stayed longer.

If a b and b is supposed to make you feel at home, Donnybrook Hall does it exactly right. Terry and family and staff did everything to insure our stay was superb. Great breakfast,charming setting, terrific knowledge of Dublin. Genuine warmth and friendliness.

Parking wasn't easy ( half on Pavement outside Hotel ) but at least it was close to the Hotel for security.

didn't have time for Breakfast as I had to leave at 6.00am to catch my Ferry but the owner offered to make me something to take with me which was a very nice gesture. The owner also directed me towards a local Pub where I could eat and Drink about 300 metres away.

Request a room in the big house if possible; larger and more comfortable overall.

Great location; close to buses and aircoach transportation. Nice neighbourhood and a pleasant walk into the city centre - about 35 minutes. Staff were more than helpful; willing to answer any questions, provided a warm welcome and a lovely breakfast.

• Budget Single Room

Can't think of anything not to like

Really nice room Staff very helpful and friendly Great location Great price Free parking disk supplied Would highly recommend.

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Great location to reach UCD. The b&b is in a lovely Georgian house near to a tesco, few restaurants and pubs. The staff is very friendly and helpful with directions or suggestions for places to eat in the area. I would definitely go back.

Dublin is so expensive to stay in and I did find the price I paid a little dear.

Staff were very friendly. Room was cosy but the bathroom was amazing. Location was great. Thought it might have been a little noisy but not at all.

Very friendly helpful people who go well out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. A brilliant choice of breakfast...especially the omelettes😋

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Very small room (but nicely appointed and with a nice bathroom)

Outstanding service, spotlessly clean, quiet, fantastic shower with HOT water and a choice of showerheads (I prefer the one at an angle). I arrived after midnight and Davide greeted me, scoped out a parking spot for me, and then made me a cup of tea and chatted while I sipped and recovered from the journey. Debbie and Martine made sure I had everything I needed and even switched my room to one with an en suite bathroom because i arrived so late and they thought that would be more comfortable for me. I recommend staying here.

A very, warm welcome at Donnybrook Hall. The room was cosy, and spotlessly clean. The hosts are friendly and very helpful, checking to make sure you have everything you need. Had Smoked salmon and eggs for breakfast and it was delicious.

Staff were available if needed but also gave you the same level of space and privacy you'd get in a bigger hotel, something which matters to me.

Nothing that I didn’t like

B&B was super clean and cozy and easily accessible to Dublin. The owner Terry was fantastic - he went above and beyond to accommodate us! I felt like I was literally staying with family. Breakfast was amazing as well. Almost too much food! Terry definitely didn’t want you to leave hungry. I would highly recommend this place if you are venturing to Dublin!!

Breakfast is wonderful, we really liked the egg served with bread and local salmon and also the yogurt with fruits and honey. Hosts are very welcoming and helpful and the walk to city center from the B&B is lovely.

We LOVED Donnybrook Hall. Everything was lovely, but what truly made the experience was the hospitality of Richard, Martina and all of the staff. Truly amazing, friendly, helpful, gracious, and more! We would recommend Donnybrook to anyone coming to Dublin! Also, the breakfast was top notch!

All of the staff were incredibly friendly and made sure we had everything we needed before heading out to the city centre (directions etc). Breakfast was also amazing, incredibly filling and the full Irish breakfast is the best I've ever had!The location is perfect, only 20 minutes to walk to Dublin centre and buses are available...thanks!

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Not the biggest of issues but The bed base supporting the centre of the mattress kept falling out and I spend the night rolling into the middle of the bed and sleeping somewhat uncomfortably.

Hospitality, Food, Location, local knowledge regarding places of interest to visit as well as to eat and drink at were all amazing

We had a fantastic stay at Donnybrook Hall. Terry and his staff were very welcoming and friendly, they also gave us great information about Dublin and Donnybrook. The breakfast was excellent and really set us up for the day and we ate locally in the evenings which was also excellent. The location is great - just a short bus ride into Dublin - we liked being in the quieter suburb at night. The room was very comfortable and spotlessly clean. Thankyou everyone at Donnybrook Hall for your hospitality.

Terry and his daughter were amazing hosts with great information about Dublin. The neighborhood is a lovely little suburb of Dublin with convenient access to the city bus and the Aircoach to the airport. Would definitely stay here again!

Room was great value for the money.. Adequate size (as would be expected in a Georgian-era rowhouse). Exceptionally clean. Comfortable bed. Overall, one of the quietest B&Bs we stayed in on our trip.

It was quite far away from the town centre - a good 50 mins walk.

The staff were ridiculously friendly. We were amazed. The room and bathroom were gorgeous and very comfy.

The room was beside the kitchen and too much noise. Bed not that comfortable.

The shower was amazing and just what I needed after a long day at work! The staff were incredibly warm and friendly

Incredibly welcoming and friendly hosts, always remembered my name and felt like I was part of the family rather than just another guest. Great location for me, very comfortable bed too!

all was super

I was stuck because to the storm in Dublin and even needed to stay 1 more night. I loved to stay here as they treated me as family, much more then a normal service. Great place, even greater service

• Budget Single Room

very warm on one of the coldest nights, terry very helpful in helping get snow off the car. lovely breakfast, check in guy on check in very helpful and pleasant,

• Budget Single Room

Absolutely spotlessly clean , wonderfully comfortable bed and bathroom, quiet. A cosy, homely atmosphere. Staff friendly and helpful. Great location - nice cafes and restaurants just a couple minutes walk away. Bus stop just around the corner, 10 mins or less by bus to get to city centre (stephens green / grafton street), buses very frequent. The aircoach to and from the airport also stops here. The beautiful Herbert park is also only about 10 minutes walk away.

Room 7 is next to kitchen so you wake up to smell of bacon cooking. Some may like this, but if you are a light sleeper, ask for a room upstairs

Excellent host (Terry) couldn't have been more helpful. Air Coach 700 from airport stops at end of road. Short walk from city center.

Terry and his staff were so friendly helpful and courteous towards us and everyone around us. welcomed us early in the day 9.30am offering juice and biscuits and storing our bags until we returned later in the day. everything was impeccably clean. bed was super comfy and lovely loreal elvive toiletries shampoo etc breakfast was really anything you wanted from cooked to really healthy, cereals fruit n yoghurt salmon n eggs wheaten bread. perfect. very easy to get bus 5mins away into centre and donnybrook is very safe area with nice shops around, i will be back, thank you terry

very comfortable, clean and ideal location for my stay, a little pricey for a student though. I arrived at 20:00hours and left at 06:00 and was greeted, given a parking permit and shown to my room. I will admit an offer of a cuppa would have been appreciated, otherwise top place to stay

• Budget Single Room

I Stayed In a single room. The room was compact. it was extremely comfortable and had all amenities that you would require. The ensuite was impeccable and clean. I was arriving late and was met by Debbie. She was very nice and friendly. Im the morning I met Terry, the owner. He was the most gracious of hosts. Extremely polite and friendly no ask was too much. I have stayed in many hotels and accommodations over may years in Dublin and this has to be the best I've stayed in. Many thanks.

• Budget Single Room

A short distance from downtown (not a problem as It is close to bus stops and the neighborhood is gorgeous!

Everything is perfect: bed, shower, service, decoration, THE SMELL, more than clean, carefully designer to please all your senses (sight, smell, touch ...)

• Budget Single Room

Stayed in the budget room this time around, and walls were very thin. Person in next room was on the phone until 11:30pm and I could hear every word they were saying; was very annoying. Also, the staff are normally very kind and friendly, but lady in the morning wasn't.

2nd time staying at Donnybrook Hall. Its a really lovely spot. Great value for money too. Would recommend, and will go back.

It would be nice to have an effective lamp over the armchair, e.g. to be able to read a book before going to sleep.

During my stay I attended conference at DIAS, lectures started rather early. There was a kitchinet. In fact I did not used the restaurant but I have seen the the room and the table, they looked nice.

On arrival I received a very warm welcome from Jake who was extremely guest focused at check in. The prooerty itself is both charming and modern very comfortable. Its location for me was excellent.

• Budget Single Room

What a beautiful guest house. I can't rate this place enough. Terry and Debbie exceed all expectations. Room was massive and so cosy and warm. I was greeted on the night by a lovely Italian guy whose name I can't think of. Place is spotless and breakfast was yum. Terry was so kind to me. It was my first morning in a new job. I had taxi booked and it didn't turn up in time so Terry actually dropped me to the place. He went over and beyond and I really appreciated it. I will definitely be back.

Not located too centrally which some may find a problem though we didn't mind.

The owners are possibly the two kindest most helpful people I've ever met. They did everything to make our stay as comfortable as possible. The rooms were a bit kitsch but in a very quaint kind of way and we felt very cosy.

Excellent service, great breakfast, beautiful room. Terry and Martina were superb hosts. Plan time for the breakfast because you will enjoy it! We will definitely come back again.

Not close to city center...but good restaraunts in the area

Breakfast in the morning was amazing. The owner and staff were very helpful and accomadating. It was great!

Room was a bit chilly on arrival (but there was a heater in the room which we used) and a bit stuffy in the morning but really nothing to complain about. TV was a bit small but we weren't there to watch the tv lol!!

Room was lovely, kettle, hairdryer and funky mirror in the bathroom. Bit of a mix up when I arrived so best tip is to make sure you ring the bell really hard! Debbie and Martina were lovely and welcoming too

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Service was impeccable and the rooms were to the highest standard. Both owners went out of their way to make you feel at home, will definitely book again!

• Budget Single Room

Lightning, out the room to the main house is not that good considering at winter time, with wet weather and dark evenings. Could do some sensor lights to the way, as I go thru dining area to my room or vice versa- all light was dimmed as they like cozy lightning in the property. The TV reception is not that good for watching news.

Very accessible to UCD, shops,public transport. I love the privacy for my study, power shower and warm room.

Everything:) breakfast was delicious!

The staff at Donnybrook went above and beyond. They were extremely friendly and helpful and went out of their way to help us. We really appreciated their kindness and helpfulness.

I booked a single room so the fact that the room was small didn't really bother me too much. Other than that all good.

I arrived late (and drunk) but absolutely no problem. The single room was small but very clean and had all the standard facilities needed. My first impressions were very good. The location was about €10 in a taxi from Grafton St. and located near the RDS stadium. Checking out, I didn't book a breakfast but still offered tea /fruit. A lovely touch.

The hosts are great. Terry is a fantastic source of suggestions in and out of Dublin. Breakfast was really satisfying. It was a quick bus ride into the center of the city.

• Budget Single Room

Parking can be difficult do I was lucky.I had ground floor room which was right beside the kitchen so very hard to relax or rest plus food smells.

The property owner is very nice and very accommodating, and the property very well kept. The location is excellent with access to public transport.

The only thing thatbwas missing was a white robe ;)

The room was absolutely adorable and the staff went above and beyond to make sure we were welcomed and looked after but were also respectful of space and privacy. It was absolutely lovely.

Owner of this B&B is extremely nice. Rooms are big. Excellent localisation - 20 min walking distance from UCD main campus, close to bus stops and Aricoach stop. Distance to main street is around 300 m and there is no problem with car noise during night.

The breakfast room was not very cozy; very cold and with uncomfortable chairs. This place was rated to over 9 by booking.com and honestly I had expected more.

The bedroom vas very nice! Easy to get into the city.

Didn't take payment by Amex, which would have been helpful.

Friendly and helpful welcome; good breakfast; good value for Dublin. Plenty of buses nearby to get to central Dublin.

Really nice place, very homely and in a great location situated close enough to everything I needed but far enough away to not be too busy. The staff are very nice and make you feel very much welcome.

Lovely owner, family, and staff. Very warm hospitality. Nice breakfast. Clean facilities. Good restaurants in area and a nice walk into town, straight to St. Stephen’s Green.

• Budget Single Room

I have stayed at donnybrook hall before and I cannot recommend it enough. Terry (and in fact everyone who works there) always make you feel welcome from the moment you arrive until you leave. Refreshments are always offered as well as information on the local area - your stay is made to feel as comfortable as possible. The rooms are well equipped, clean and very comfortable. The location is excellent - just a 10 minute bus journey into the city centre, and the aircoach (700) stops at the end of the street.

• Budget Single Room

Small bedroom (even for a single bedroom, but I can live with that), TV mounted in awkward position (if you lay down in your bed you can only see 2/3 of the screen), wifi very poor, mobile signal in bedroom (vodafone) very poor, aerial cable for tv broken and keeps falling off the tv, noisy bedroom if there is people sleeping in the bedrooms beside.

Clean. Confortable. Bathroom very good for a single room

• Budget Single Room

The owner, Terry, and his daughter are lovely people who go out of their way to make you feel welcome. In fact all the staff at Donnybrook Hall are friendly and helpful. The rooms are tastefully decorated with modern bathrooms and nice little touches to make you feel at home. Breakfast is superb!

The bed was too soft and the pillows were terrible. The floors in the room had just been washed and the whole place smelt of bleach. There was a used facecloth hanging on the back of the door and the bed was sitting on a couple of books. I noticed thus when I dropped my earring. My pet hate when travelling is having to pay the same price for a room even thought I am on my own, also to pay e108 which doesn’t include breakfast is a bit mean.

The lady who open the door for me (eventually) was very nice and gave me a warm welcome, she was also cleaning at 3pm in the afternoon, I would have thought the rooms should have been read by then.

• Budget Single Room

Nothing. It was just perfect!

The owner and his daughter were amazing. They were always trying to help me with everything, even things I didn’t realize I needed. Great family who do an amazing job running the place.

We loved our stay at Donnybrook Hall. The staff was friendly and accommodating throughout our stay and we loved the home-y feeling of the B&B. We had several days with early starts and the staff was happy to accommodate us with an early breakfast or packed meal to take with us. The location was great with easy access to the city center, but on a quiet side street.

The bathroom had just been redone and was quite elegant. The breakfast was excellent and we were even given a complimentary breakfast for the road. The staff were very helpful with advice and directions. The owner talked to us every day at breakfast.

I wish Dublin wasn’t so expensive... but this is not against this B&B, this was one of the cheapest options in the city

Very friendly staff, delicious breakfast, nicely decorated room with comfy bed. Very clean.

Advertised as having on site parking. There are 2 tiny spots next to the building. Our car took up both of them. After that we were asked to park on the street. If you are expecting a parking lot there is none.

The smoked salmon and egg breakfast was fantastic. Room was huge with two beds allowing us to settle in for 3 days. Hosts were full of information and staff was very kind and helpful.

Terry and all the staff were great. The location was a bit out of Dublin city centre, but very easy to get to by bus or taxi, even a lovely walk into Dublin. Facilities were very good and breakfast was lovely. Would definitely stay again!

Wonderful staff / fantastic owner/great conversations with other guests. A lovely neighborhood away from City Center Dublin. Very helpful on how to get to attractions, so welcoming when we came back nightly.

• Budget Single Room

Nothing! Everything was perfect :)

Property is in a lovely location & is gorgeous. Feels very cosy and homely. Room was great with a comfy bed and very modern bathroom (with fantastic shower!). Located very close to some good shops and restaurants. The owners and their staff are super friendly and very welcoming! They really make you feel at home and are happy to cater to your every need and answer any and all local knowledge questions. Breakfast was great. I highly recommend this place to anyone wanting 5 star treatment somewhere that's less like a hotel and more like a home!

bed was very low - felt like was gong to fall out but room and bathroom very clean which is important

lovely are to stay cannot comment on the breakfast as we were leaving too early for this - however the hosts did offer to make us a pack up breakfast which was a nice touch if you would like it. on street parking is available with use of a parking permit - street is a bit tight though, so be wary if you have a big vehicle - we would use this B&B again though if in the area

Excellent stay. I had a minor problem when arrived due to a mistake I did in my reservation but was solved immediately. I strongly recommend this place for your stay in Dublin. Just 10 min buy bus to city center.

I had to leave early in the morning and I was disappointed that having prepaid for B&B there was no breakfast available except a sandwich, apple and biscuit in a paper bag. For early departures I think it should be possible to provide a continental breakfast.

I requested and was allocated a quiet room at the back of the house. Very comfortable.

Instead of telling us how to get to city centre, a written list with bus numbers would have been helpful. Also a list of local restaurants would also have helped. Staff was very helpful but too much information at one time.

We liked everything about Donnybrook Hall. The staff was exceptional & our room was, comfortable & more than adequate. The breakfast was outstanding & the location good.

The Donnybrook is further away from the airport than it looks on the map. It took us 30 minutes by taxi, which is not a problem if you plan on spending more than a couple of nights there. The rooms, while offering everything you need, hot water, shower, internet, could use a little modernizing. But, of course, then the price wouldn't be perfect.

Terry and his staff couldn't do more to make our stay any better. The breakfast was customized, and very nice. And the value is perfect. Close to a great Pub, nice restaurant, and bus stations. The "living" room is cozy and a great place to meet other travelers.