Reviews of Dooley's Hotel 3 stars

The Quay, Waterford, Ireland

#10 of 28 hotels in Waterford

Comfortable bed.
    • Double or Twin Room

Bathroom door can’t shut at night I had to sleep with street lights. I had housekeeping came in my room at 9am when I was out of shower...

Comfortable bed.

Car park right across the road.
    • Double or Twin Room

TV selection is very limited. No air-con, only a fan.

Car park right across the road. Very comfortable and clean rooms. Friendly staff. Breakfast was prompt.

Excellent location, mediocre hotel
    • Double or Twin Room

Housekeeping knocking on our bedroom door at 9am was unacceptable. Although front of house staff were very apologetic. The breakfast was mediocre and finished very early for a Sunday morning (10-10.30am).

Excellent location, easy access to the start of the Green Way, good value long stay parking directly opposite hotel entrance and bus station close by. Our room faced out to the the river/road but we had no problems with noise.

Dooleys Hotel
    • Double or Twin Room

We arrived early and reception kept our bags for check in later. We paid for our room the staff member was getting our bags when the phone rang. She took the phone call proceeded to check room availability for the caller and left us standing there waiting for our bags. I would have picked up the phone and advised the caller I was putting them on hold for a moment. Otherwise it was a lovely hotel and I recommend it.

Great location Nice big room clean & comfy

Great breakfast, lovely staff, comfy beds and a great shower.
    • Double or Twin Room

Great breakfast, lovely staff, comfy beds and a great shower. The property is only a quick walk from the city square for shopping and close to other bars/pubs/restaurants etc. Parking was very close to the property also.

The room was and faculties where clean enough.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

I asked at reception did they no when about the music outside our room would finish it was extremely loud I needed to no if it was from a club or a shop (Room 6) the man who checked is in said it had boring to do with them and was externally rude about it. I had a child with me and it was after midnight when they finished I thought it was a rediculious room to put a child in and the receptionist was just like deal with it. Bathrooms could be updated the bath is not something you'd like to relax in. No fresh fruit in the breakfast bar and no variety I breakfast pastries or bread.

The room was and faculties where clean enough.

You don't want to get to doolies at night

We arrived late at night and told to pay for the parking at a meter outside in the dark.. that didn't accept c.card. We didn't have coins. The staff did'nt help and didn't care. Only when I asked them, aftrr a few times that we tried the c.c., they went to change some money for us.

The rooms were o.k. The breakfest was good.

This hotel is clean and comfortable. Staff are nice and polite and is central to everything.
    • Double or Twin Room

There was nothing we didn't like about this Hotel.

The bar staff are polite and friendly. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are clean and fresh. We have stayed in this hotel over 10 years now and would have no problem in staying here again.

Great place wonderful staff

No parking, however there is a car park opposite the hotel for 4 hours/24 hour

Staff so friendly (Spanish lady at reception in particular) and attentive. Facilities clean and location perfect,

all in all a pleasant few days
    • Double or Twin Room

Room numbers were very confusing. Would never have found my room unless I took the lift each time. We were told at check in breakfast was10£ extra if booked and £15 if not booked But we just went to the bar in the mornings and bought a breakfast for £6 each. . Confused about payment. I thought from wording on booking payment would be on check out but it was already taken from credit card would have preferred to pay cash

Liked the fact there was a fan supplied also a iron in room.. had dinner the first evening was really good but preference seems to be given to the many bus tours.jooly music in bar every night and the bar staff are the best . Please not and really hard working. Hope they are well paid cos they deserve to be.

The room was clean and modern.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The only thing I didn't like was there was a smell in the bathroom

The room was clean and modern. Beds very comfy and fresh and staff are very very nice and helpful

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

needs attention..

Staff was under pressure with handling crowds ,, ran out of some food ...this hotel seems to run on tight budget,some rooms noisy with fans on top floor ,,, had to move....as i said they were as good as they could be but need to reorganise the food supply and seating for food,,,also symbol for parking is not correct ,, you must park across road in public car park which you pay for...and may have a long walk to get to hotel... family who own it need to listen to customers ... sadly hotels are all adding breakfast as extras... may be ok for european travellers who survive on cup of coffee,,but not for us,,

Location, is good...staff friendly...

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Staff were very friendly and helpful . Nice bedroom, location very good. Enjoyed our stay
    • Double or Twin Room

Míní breakfast was tasteless, sausages and bacon looked and tasted like reheats. Stayed at Dooley's Hotel for 3 nights, tea bags, sugar and milk left out for first night, no replacement for the above for the next two nights.

Wonderful Waterford

We decided to have breakfast in one of the local cafes which was the better choice in the end.

It was a perfect base for our weekend in Waterford. We came for the Spraoi festival. Quiet and central, friendly and helpful staff. The hotel doesn't have parking but we found 24hr parking just across the road which didn't break the bank either.

the bed was so comfy and the room wasent too warm.
    • Double or Twin Room

the style wasent their and the room was very small for the money that was paid. Also at breakfast we were under a time limit and they forgot our toast after we asked twice ( was included in the price of a full Irish)

the bed was so comfy and the room wasent too warm. Everything was cleen and the staff were very helpful with extra requests. They had glasses and an Ice bucket on standby and were kind enough to ask if we needed more the next day. and gave us a refill with out hassle.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

The staff could not have been more helpful or friendly -...
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The staff could not have been more helpful or friendly - there was a blonde lady on reception (i should have asked her name) she made us feel like royalty - my grandson thought he was the only boy to ever stay there because they were so interested in what he had to say and ensuring we knew all the fun things to do for him.

Lovely family run hotel in central location.
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was very comfortable and the bathroom was very clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the hotel was very central to Hanover Street where we hired bikes for the Greenway. I would stay at Dooleys Hotel again.

Great location, friendly staff, nice clean room.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The beds was hard. Very hot rooms, but thats because the weather was much more hotter than usual in Ireland and kind of out of hotel control.

The rooms was nice and clean. Kids loved room. My son left his football cards behind in room and after a phone call the cards was found and send by post to us. Thank you very much.

Nice hotel and central to everything.
    • Double or Twin Room

Expensive for what you get. €150 per night with no breakfast included is steep. Another €20 for breakfast. Last minute booking so I hadn't got much choice. Most hotels at this price level have breakfast included. VERY noisy if your room is facing the main street. But to be fair this is the chance you take with a hotel that is very close to everything. Music in the evening was a digital keyboard which sounded hilarious ( think eurovision) The guy singing was good but the backing music was atrocious. - For all the talent we have I thought this was a shame particularly for tourists to see. Not sure if this hotel should be rated 4*. ??

Staff very friendly and helpful. Clean. Very good breakfast. Central. rooms are very nice. I have to say the staff are excellent, very pleasant manner and extremely helpful. They even have the weather for each day printed! which I thought was a nice touch.

Leaving
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was very dated in need of a revamp the heat was so bad we couldn’t sleep no air conditioning no under sheet on the bed just a heavy duvet with thick curtains and a window that didn’t open more then 2 inches so the temperature was a big issues in the room. The staff in the bar where very unhelpful and ignored us of multiple times which was very rude wouldn’t return or recommend!!! Not good value for money

Leaving

Location is very good, right on the river and near some nice...
    • Double or Twin Room

No air conditioning. Though for 51 weeks of the year you wouldn't need it in Waterford. I was just lucky with the weather! The bar was not so great. Drinks were a little over-priced and all the patrons were watching the golf on TV. Not what I hoped for at my first Irish pub. But it was a Sunday....

Location is very good, right on the river and near some nice bars. Rooms are BIG and the bath fills faster than any bath I have ever experienced! Beds were clean and comfy and the towels were large and fluffy (I hate small dry towels).

Breakfast/service was poor.
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast/service was poor. Furniture in the bar/breakfast area is not very comfortable, particularly the sofa seating. Music in the bar was very loud.

The hotel was lovely, the room was a little small for a...
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The room was a little small for a family room, and we felt very rushed to leave the table at breakfast time.

The hotel was lovely, the room was a little small for a family room, at breakfast we felt very rushed to leave the table.

Staff very good at their jobs and June in the thai thearphy...
    • Double or Twin Room

The bar menu needs a overhall and band finishing at 1040 is to early especially for the irish tourist on a staycation.

Staff very good at their jobs and June in the thai thearphy massage is brilliant at her job. One of the best massages I ever got.

• Double or Twin Room

Very slow lifts to upper floors plus my room faced the busy main road with heavy traffic passing all night as it was warm the window was kept open making the noise much worse.

The bar and resturant was very good

Very good location.

We had to use the public car park the hotel didn't have it's own.

Very good location. Good breakfast although the hotel was very busy with a coach party.

Excellent facilities, friendly staff, and Clean would definitely stay again
    • Double or Twin Room

Wanted the option to pay a percentage of my bill in cash and the rest on credit card. But this seemed to much trouble for the staff.?

The bed was very comfortable

A lovely hotel in a lovely town.
    • Double or Twin Room

Dooley's was perfectly located for us, opposite the bus station. We were able to catch a bus direct to Dublin airport. The room was large and well-appointed. There was live music in the bar at night. Breakfast was excellent.

Perfect for a short one or two night stay in Waterford.
    • Double or Twin Room

A little noisy since it is in a commercial district especially when leaving windows open.

Location close to train station and within walking distance to the Viking Triangle, Waterford Crystal factory and Bishop’s Palace. Also plenty of shopping, restaurants and pubs.

I was charged twice for the rooms
    • Double or Twin Room

I was charged twice for the rooms I should have been charged only £159 but had an additional charge of £177.45!!!!! Please refund ASAP as I only stated a day

Listed as having parking - they do not provide parking!
    • Double or Twin Room

Listed as having parking - they do not provide parking! They point to the pay-and-display car park across the road as their parking. If there was a paid wifi and breakfast from a nearby cafe would they list this as "provides wifi and breakfast"?

Very close/part of the city centre.
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast wasn't included thus additional of EUR 10.--/person/morning for breakfast buffet. The buffet was suprisingly small for a hotel & somehow not fresh. Would expect more from a hotel especially if charged additionally.

Very close/part of the city centre. Tidy/spacious room. Nice pub in the hotel with live music. Quite place.

perfect hotel for family and lone travellers

Had to leave

I went down with a group of friends to cycle the green way .the hotel let us store the bikes in a spare room they very helpfull . The hotel is situated in a perfect location . I will be back

• Double or Twin Room

As I was on my own I didn't want to go down to the bar but was told there was a charge for room service so go down to the bar if I wanted a drink, this is not a good service for guest on their own. Also when I went down for breakfast the following morning there was no hot food I was told I would have to wait, I had some fresh sliced melon and yogurt, the melon tasted of onion, not a pleasant experience.

Very enjoyable stay. Staff were very helpful and friendly. location perfect for our needs
    • Double or Twin Room

We had a good experience here so nothing really

It's a lovely friendly family hotel. Excellent location near the bus terminus and city centre.Very pleasant but unobtrusive staff. Rooms were very comfortable and quiet. Excellent bar where we could relax in the evening after being out all day.

I had originally booked the room for 2adults.
    • Double or Twin Room

The only fault was that at check in we were not told anything about breakfast.. ie times where we could get it etc and also restaurant times/details. It took two girls to check us in and i hadto remind them to charge for breakfast for the child we had with us! Breakfast was very limited with no pastries... juices were v low and no milk for cerials!! But what we did get was good. Maybe could have done with extra towels as we had 2 for 3people!!

I had originally booked the room for 2adults. I rang on the day of check in to see would it be possible to have an extra bed as we were taking a child with us and this was no problem at all we got a room with a double and single bed no problem.. great service at such short notice no questions asked.

Nothing Special that would make me want to return, over priced for what it was.
    • Double or Twin Room

The food could have been A LOT better, the bar staff moaned because two had to stay on and there were a total of 6 customers in the bar on a Saturday night......... something is not right as there seemed to be plenty of guests staying in the hotel. There were two gentlemen playing music and to be honest they were very good, but it must be very dis-heartening for them with nobody listening. The Granville down the street was packed and also a little pub a few doors up Uisce Beatha packed. The bar lacks atmosphere and is very tired and staff seem 'flat' and dis-interested, morale boost required.

Bed was very comfortable, room very clean and the staff not over friendly.

It’s location
    • Double or Twin Room

Music in the bar at night is only ok and too loud for bar and audience size .. left the bar because of it and went to a local pub instead

It’s location

A lovely wedding anniversary
    • Double or Twin Room

The one and only tiny bad thing was the neon lights in the bathroom that for some reason was very loud for few seconds when switched on. It's good that my wife uses earplugs at night because I would have totally awakened her! But honestly, that's a very minor inconvenient.

Our room was spotless, the bed was comfortable and the hotel was very quiet. I really liked the included breakfast too, a lot of choice and the staff at the restaurant was very friendly and professional.

You can't go wrong here.
    • Double or Twin Room

You can't go wrong here. It is central, clean, with good size rooms and modern baths and Colleen, the manager, went of of her way to help us. I hope her employers know what a jewel they have in her.

Everything is very clean, beds very comfortable with great...
    • Double or Twin Room

Everything is very clean, beds very comfortable with great quality linen and towels. I didn't like the shower over the bath, however the shower power is excellent. Lovely warm comfortable room. Staff are excellent, friendly, welcoming and informative.

Family occasion -Hotel ticked all the boxes
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Stayed here for a family occasion. Very central location -easy to get to shops/restaurants. Staff very helpful . Breakfast in the bar area very nice. Beds very comfortable and no noise disturbance to sleep which is always a plus factor

Comfortable beds and friendly staff in the city centre
    • Double or Twin Room

It was a little on the pricey side but that was more my fault as it was a Saturday night and I booked relatively late. Other than that it was great.

The room was very spacious and had a huge, comfortable bed. It was a lot better than I expected and the staff were very friendly also.

Very quick check in , staff were very pleasant.
    • Double or Twin Room

very few stations on tv for when we wanted to just relax in the room, did not have what we drank in the bar so we had to go elsewhere. The entertainment on one of the nights was shockingly bad, shower took about 5 mins for water to heat.

Very quick check in , staff were very pleasant. view was beautiful. very quiet in the rooms.

Entertainment cancelled on the first night due to not enough...

Entertainment cancelled on the first night due to not enough guests staying . Had to find somewhere else to eat and drink. My parents both have restricted mobility so having to walk long distances was not ideal.

Dooley's hotel
    • Double or Twin Room

Stayed one night , cleaning staff entered the room twice by mistake when we where still sleeping

Lovely location, nice rooms bar and restaurant staff very nice

The hotel was comfortable. It was disappointing that parking was a problem.
    • Double or Twin Room

The parking was confusing for us. We didn't understand if we were short-term, or long-term? At first we left our car in the short-term. After dinner the desk clerk informed us that we should move our car into the long-term lot. We purchased a display card and tried to get it situated on the dashboard of the car. The card slid down the crack between the windshield and the dashboard. It completely vanished. We took our chances and left the car hoping we wouldn't get a ticket. In the morning we were lucky to see there was no ticket. However, it was very stressful.

The room was comfortable and we had a restful night. We ate dinner downstairs soon after we arrived, and it was very good.

No better place to stay in Watertford City!!!
    • Double or Twin Room

There was absolutely nothing to dislike about Dooleys Hotel. We were in Waterford for a wedding and the Hotel was perfect.

The rooms were very clean with tea/coffee facility, iron press and multi channel tv. The hotel is very centrally located to lots of historic places, shops, cafes, bars and restaurants. Food was lovely and the little beer garden was convenient. Will be recommending to friends. Price online is competitive.

Enjoyed the experience. Would recommend the hotel. Good value for cost
    • Double or Twin Room

Wish the bar/grill had stayed open later on the a week night. I went out to see a play Tuesday evening, and had trouble getting something to eat afterwards.

Atmosphere - historic hotel - was pleasant. Very well-situated to centre of town and the bus and train stations.

Not bad
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was very very poor....coz I can't eat everything I ask staff if they have any salmon or pancakes for breakfast they said no....didn't try to help me....

Its was very clean, room was great,location amazing.

It was amazing .
    • Double or Twin Room

It was amazing .and pleasurable experience for both of us staying in this hotel . The mattress of the bed was firm which I felt very comfortable . The room was warm .I definitely go back to this hotel someday.

Exceptional hotel staff and fantastic food.
    • Double or Twin Room

The food was excellent, the staff were exceptionally friendly and it wasn’t expensive at all. The hotel is ideally located in the center of the city and the parking fee were value for money.

The room was fine the staff was friendly it was a good night...

Paying for parking, it wasn't much but it would have been nice to have it included or something.

The room was fine the staff was friendly it was a good night sleep.

from start to finish we where made to feel welcome the...
    • Double or Twin Room

from start to finish we where made to feel welcome the breakfast was great we eat dinner in the bar two days over all i would say we would stay there again

Conveniently located in walking distance to all attractions.
    • Double or Twin Room

Communication between Booking.com and Dooley’s needs to be improved. We were booked (2 rooms Inc breakfast) and quoted for 4 adults and 1 child to discover on our arrival that the booking, according to the hotel, had only been made for 4 adults. We were then asked to pay an additional amount for breakfast for the child.

Breakfast was excellent.

Beautiful old building, room excellent, spacious and...
    • Double or Twin Room

Beautiful old building, room excellent, spacious and immaculate. Staff friendly and helpful. We ate in the bar as the weather was rubbish. Really good food and drink and not at inflated prices. Breakfast first rate. I would defiantly recommend.

Poor customer service.Disappointing stay.
    • Double or Twin Room

Arrived in Waterford at 12. Told we couldn't check in until 3. Fine. Return at 3 to be told our room wasn't ready. Go back up to reception a few minutes later. Told room isn't ready no explanation/apology offered. Offered complimentary tea/coffee. There were a number of other groups also waiting to check in. Waited for 45 minutes to check in. Only when asked if there would be any compensation offered breakfast for one of the days of our two night stay. I had paid in full using the booking.com app. Upon check in I was asked to pay for the second night. Staff were not apologetic and blamed booking.com for the error. The following day of our two day stay the key cards wouldn't work. Overall a disappointment, poor customer service and major minus to have no parking.

Very disorganised hotel. Poor customer service. Overpriced food and no parking. Would not recommend.

Not a good hotel for family's
    • Double or Twin Room

The reception staff were not friendly or helpful in any way , several times I had to get my key card for the room re done and they just acted like I was a nuisance , also I had small children with me and our room was next door to an all night party , this is not a very family friendly hotel

The location is very good , and the staff in the bar were lovely

Generally good

Already mentioned above

No hot water on our last morning, we were put in a room directly over the music and couldn't get to sleep till after midnight despite a request for a quiet room. Everything else was OK.

Bed was really comfortable
    • Double or Twin Room

Food breakfast was not very hot but it did taste very nice. Bath took forever to fill up. Water was extremely hot very difficult to get it to a useable temperature when using the shower.

Bed was really comfortable

Hadn't stayed there before, so really pleased and will call again.

The main door could be upgraded to an automatic one sometime. While sitting in the lobby after concert, we had to ask people to close it after them as it was bitterly cold outside.

Lovely large triple room and bathroom, all scrupulously clean. Breakfast very good. Bar food excellent too, served by friendly staff! We were going to a concert, so the location on the Quay was excellent.

Uncomfortable
    • Double or Twin Room

We booked a family room and had 2 small kids with us. Our room was a normal double room with an extra kids bed. There was barely room to walk in the room. No space for travel cot or buggy. €159 is a shocking price to pay for this room. We could hear all the music from the bar downstairs too. Very disappointing. We are getting married later this year and will not be staying here for our stag/hen parties.

Food was lovely and staff were friendly.

staff in bar food very friendly, room spotless and warm
    • Double or Twin Room

the bar food choice is very limited, near more choices. breakfast a bit expensive at 10 a head,large croissant in centra down the road only 1 euro.

room was really warm. we were drenched and frozen after being on a pitch all day and the room was roasting

Comfortable and relaxing break.
    • Double or Twin Room

The bed was extremely comfortable and room well appointed. Excellent location, handy to bothe bus and railway stations and within walking distance of local attractions.

Very disappointing
    • Double or Twin Room

When i booked this hotel with Booking.com,i specifically requested a quiet room at the back of the hotel away from road frontage and lift shafts,which we got,but we didn't bargain for a couple in the room opposite us coming in drunk at 2.30am and having a full on shouting verbal argument until 3.30am. I had to call reception and they did come up immediately and asked them to stop,and the male occupant that answered the door said no problem.I appreciate no hotel has control over the clintelle they get, but with the clocks just gone forward a few hours earlier,we got little more sleep and we were exhausted. Dooleys dont have a car park,we had to park in the public long term car park across the road which cost €4.50.We stayed in the Tower Hotel 300 meters away recently (4 weeks ago) and also used the adjoining public car park but the hotel have an agreement with the car park and they swiped the card for us free. We came down to the buffet breakfast at 8.30am.The plates (in the plate heater)were cold and all the food just luke warm,so by the time we got through the breakfast,it was cold.For me its the breakfast that sells the hotel.You cannot beat personal service and the interaction of the waitress or waiter with the customer, taking your order and delivering a piping hot breakfast with good quality sausages included.!! So hotels take note.!! BY the way the pint of Guinness i got was pulled in one go.It didnt taste nice so we went to a near by establishment for a nicer pint. A lot of hotels

Central Location.

Very enjoyable stay, apart from the noise of the early morning deliveries.
    • Double or Twin Room

We were awakened at 6.30 on Saturday morning by the noise of beer deliveries and bin collection trucks.

Great location, friendly efficient staff, good value for money.

Location is really all this hotel has going for it.
    • Double or Twin Room

Rooms very dated, Friends also stayed and we paid the same price and there room was far nicer, stains all over the carpet and cracks in the bath and sink, door handle was hanging off also. Wouldn’t recommend or rate the hotel, and was very over priced for what you received.

Overall very pleased and would return if staying in Waterford
    • Double or Twin Room

Some noise at night, doors slamming and rowdy guests one night

For a three star we found the hotel excellent, staff are friendly and the food was great

Disappointed.
    • Double or Twin Room

Last time I stayed 2016 was much better.Our party of 4 were disappointed with breakfast in the bar area.Staff were not as friendly as my last visit.Embarrassed after big build up.

Nice layout.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Poorly organized facilities for breakfast with people having to queue. Once bacon & eggs tray etc were running low there should have been immediate replacement inatead of people having to wait about. It should have been flowing.The most disorganized I have ever come across. Again for dinner the main dish arrived without the vegetables. I had to ask specifically. Not good enough really....

Nice layout. Good bar menu. Likef the music.

Would stay again if other places were booked, but would first look closer to old town City Center.

The restaurant service was not particularly friendly or helpful.

Very nice hotel, parking inexpensive and easily accessible right across the street. The front desk staff person was wonderful!

The room was comfortable but a little warm.
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was comfortable but a little warm. Being a room on the street, it was a little noisy with the rides across the street and people outside coming out of pubs.

Enjoyed our stay in dooleys even though we are

Bedrooms were far too hot, plus at the back of the hotel I think it may have been a keg deliverythe noise at eight am was unbearable and I was awake from there on

Bed extremely comfortable, staff very friendly and very helpful

Lovely place to stay but I wouldn’t eat there again.
    • Double or Twin Room

We had dinner in the bar and all our meals were Re heated. The following morning the rashers were at the far end of fresh.

Excellent location. Friendly and helpful staff. Very secure you needed your swipe to proceed past the reception area. Rooms comfortable and very quiet.

One of the nicest hotels we have been to , such nice staff...
    • Double or Twin Room

One of the nicest hotels we have been to , such nice staff and beautiful and clean rooms ☺️also being so close to to town was a bonus . We would highly reckoned this hotel and we will be staying there again ☺️