Reviews of Downings Bay Hotel 3 stars

Main Street, . Downings, Ireland

#2 of 6 hotels in Downings

our rooms were very noisy all night Long due to the kitchen air conditioning. And it is a pity that the Caravan site was just between the Hotel and beech. Maybe it was only our expectation but it would be great to give a clear description on the environment as well. Altogether it was fine because it was only one night. Other hotels on our trip were much nicer.

The rooms were fine, as well as the breakfast. Staff was helpful and friendly

Made all the more special by the receptionist (I wish I could remember her name) with the silver hair and smoky voice. I complimented her that because of her, for me the 8.8 rating went up to 10.

It’s a bit of a trek from the car park to the hotel entrance, and the WiFi strength varied throughout the hotel.

The room was spacious and the breakfast was very good. We were lucky enough to stay on a Friday, so we’re able to take advantage of the 3 course dinner plus glass of wine deal in the Haven Restaurant at the hotel.

I found the bed and pillows rather firm leaving me with a stiff back the two nights we stayed.

The staff where extremely helpful and polite and where able to help us with whatever we asked for. The pool facilities where an added bonus. Went to JC bar for dinner on Saturday night which I would do again, the food was beaut and had a good selection on the menu!

Food was just ok. Steak tough. Chocolate brownie was a slab of chocolate sponge with a non descript sauce, like a school pudding! In all fairness the season hasn’t really started yet which is why it was so quiet.

Lovely big comfortable room.

THERE IS NO ON SITE SWIMMING POOL - THE POOL MENTIONED IS ONLY VOUCHERS TO THE LOCAL COMMUNITY POOL

Room and bathroom were good size, with a bath and shower.

That we hadn’t been able to stay longer.

Room lovely, breakfast superb, hotel situation ideal . Staff exceptional- helpful, friendly and nothing to much trouble. Joan on reception particularly good in going above and beyond to help us when our car keys mislaid.

The switchcock on the shower/bath didn't really work so I had trouble running a bath without soaking the place

Breakfast was included and it was yummy, such a relaxed environment too. Beds were comfy, rooms nice and warm with thermostat on the radiator if you prefer it cooler. Large room and large bathroom very clean.

There isn’t very much I didn’t like to be honest so I’ll have to be picky here; My room was a little noisy at times but the maintenance team helped me out quickly and explained it was a heater for the receptionist making the noise. It was soon turned off so can’t really make a big deal here. Would like to have seen fresh berries at breakfast as being a vegan I enjoy a variety of berries for my porridge. I did understand that a pool/leisure centre was part of the hotel but in actual fact it’s a few minutes drive away. Would loved to have had a dip in the jacuzzi, steam room etc but when I arrived I was too tired to drive onwards to another venue. Just want to highlight this for other guests. Isn’t a big ordeal, just ensure you’re aware it’s a separate venue. These were all very minor issues and I don’t want to detract from a wonderful stay, and to top it off the sun was shining!

I loved this hotel primarily because of its proximity to the beach. Was so lovely for a walk and taking photos. I’m a vegan and I have to say the hotel could not have been more helpful and accommodating for me on dinner and breakfast options which was amazing. My room was huge and had everything I needed for a comfortable stay. The bar was lovely and cosy in the evening and parking was easy. The staff were all incredibly helpful, friendly and gave consistently great service. Would definitely recommend and will be back again soon!

Fire in bar - would have been nice to have it in the lounge - bar not a very nice place to sit - very dark and a smell of paint or something not very pleasant

Bed extra comfy and room size excellent

A wedding took place the first night of our stay and I eventually had to ask for a room change at 02.45 as the music was still booming through our room. Why they didn't book us into the quieter room in the 1st place is a mystery.

Convenient and we'll maintained

Bathtub was small short and narrow, sides were high and no appreciable flat area on floor of tub. There was no rubber bath mat- I thought if any tub ever needed on this one did. The diverter knob pulled off in my hand but was easily refitted. The sealing at side of tub had a gap at the corner and the chromed tube that the shower head rest slides on was wobbly wonky on the wall. I felt at risk in this tub and was glad to complete my shower without mishap or injury.

Plenty of space

We ate in the bar in the evening and the Sea Bass was lovely. My steak was not great, but when this was pointed out to the staff they were very helpful and removed it from the bill, without being asked. Excellent service

We really enjoyed our stay on New Years Eve. The staff were excellent and the hotel was very clean and comfortable.

There were two of us, had Breakfast around 9.30 very slow service, got order wrong & only a few people in dining room so not busy. Breakfast tasted great though when we got it!

Fantastic hotel, rooms were lovely

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

The leisure centre being away from the hotel is not ideal. We went on a busy night the whistling donkeys were playing which was a planned event. However the staff were not prepared, room service was offered on check in - then when we went to place an order half an hour later was refused. Being a mother an infrequent night away for the first time in a while I was hoping for a lie in and breakfast to the room - which was refused very abruptly. Then went we did go to breakfast the service was appalling, one person for each job, a long wait on breakfast, then a longer wait on cutlery and tea. The staff were under pressure but being a small hotel and the summer season just over the staffing levels should have been adequately organised.

Beautiful location and the hotel and rooms are lovely

Heating temperature in our room a little bit colder. No supplies of toiletries like shampoo and bath soap

Very convenient if you do wild atlantic drive.

On Booking.com Hotel was described as being 6 miles from Dunfanaghy. In fact it was 14 miles by car.

I liked the room. Bed was nicely made up with a simple wool throw locally made and no pile of cushions to remove. The bathroom was modern and spacious. The hot cooked breakfast was served to the table.

Could do with soft closing doors into rooms as noise when other doors in corridor closing was very Loud during night..

Breakfast was piping hot and staff were very efficient when taking and serving breakfast to you.

The only thing I feel they need is a smoking area for guests not at all nice smoking at the front door when it's flooding.

Just everything I always stay here luv it

Was told there was a pool, also one night not allowed to eat in dining room because of private function and only one choice of meal.

Clean and comfortable nice room

Nothing springs to mind.

Hotel is easily accessible and staff are very friendly and helpful. Rooms are very clean and well maintained. Food is very good and competitively priced. Overall, a very enjoyable stay.

Only thing missing was hook on back of bathroom door but that did not spoil the facilities and it will probably be repaired/replaced.

Hotel is in a fab location, the unexpected good weather showcased the area at its best. Staff were extremely friendly, on check in receptionist physically went to check if room was ready as phone was not being picked up. Pure Donegal hospitality.

The restaurant was closed and I've been redirected to the bar. No big deal, but I was seating right below loudspeakers that, while not loud, blasted flavour-of-the-week pop all evening and forced me to an early bed.

Excellent location right at the beginning of the Atlantic Drive in the Rosguill Peninsula. Also close to all the amenities one would expect from a seaside resort -- world class golf links included.

I do feel it's a bit expensive as the Euro and pound are almost the same. I travel a lot to hotels in the west of Ireland and a lot of them charge by the room.

Staff can't do enough for you and the food is excellent.

Wasn't told about the music festival that was taking place on the august bank holiday weekend and it was so noisy I didn't get to sleep until after 2 am. This should be highlighted on your hotel website

Bar food at best was average and very overpriced. Was served in miniature shopping baskets, buckets and a tray which is something of a pet hate of mine for the price charged some effort could have been made with the presentation.

Excellent location beautiful part of the country.

Food was- well ok. Had a bar meal one evening and it was fair to good, but nothing more. Decided to stay for the 'Supper Club' on the Thursday and sorry to say that it was as if it had been cooked and then kept warm for some time until serving. Very dry and jus was baked to plate and overall somewhat tasteless. But I have to state that the waiting service was attentive, friendly and professional at all times.

Bedroom was absolutely spotless! Have stayed in some top international hotels and the cleanliness of the bedrooms were on an equal par.

The room maintence could be better as one of the bedside cabinets had the door falling off and the toilet tool holder had fallen off the wall. Meals dissapointing

I was there with Canadian friends and found the staff in the restaurant was not well aware of the menue when asked to explain various dishes. I had the fish which was greasy and one of my friends found her meal unsatisfactory which was not charged for. The hot breakfast was not great as a fried egg which requested arrived late and was not fully cooked

Front desk check in staff member pretty cold. Check out was better. The hotel is completely surrounded by caravans and although the beach is pretty, it's swamped with people.

Breakfast was good. Room large and comfy.

Wifi is terrible.we were told 2 many people were logged in but when your staying 2 nites and paying €120 a nite wifi is a must when your trying to entertain a 2yr old.

Friendly staff and good breakfast

If I had to pick one thing that could be improved it would be the coffee, but probably being picky, and just because you asked.

Everything really lovely. Wished we could have stayed longer.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

I wish there were more healthy options on the breakfast menu, bit of porridge or some poached eggs would be great.

This was a fantastic hotel that is in central downings and faces right out onto the beach. Great location, very quiet and clean. The beds were super comfortable, linen was immaculate and pillows were just perfect. Hot water and good powerful shower. Really nice staff and yummy breakfast.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

No bedside table, had to be careful not to bang into the wall. Room had a view of a tin roof, so check which room you will get. No bottled water but you could buy it from a machine, over 2 euros a bottle! There is no outside place to enjoy the sun, caravan site in front of the hotel. Wouldn't stay there again, very modern hotel, not much character.

Enjoyed the food and the staff in the bar/restaurant were very friendly.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Breakfast on the first morning was the worst I ever experienced. The waiting staff had not got a clue what they were doing. We asked numerous times for them to take an order and they just ignored us. I had to ask for a manager and even when I asked the waitress still ignored me. I had go to reception to ask for the manager, who was not very apologetic and made an excuse saying it is very busy. For a hotel Of its size I don't think 6 tables is that busy I would hate to see this on a Sunday morning. We arrived in the breakfast room at 9:50 and a waitress did not take our order until 10:45. The food did not take long to come out but to get a cup of tea was another 15 minutes.

The hotel was very near to the beach.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Our room was over the rubbish A better view would have been good but over all comfortable plenty of space in the room also

It was very relaxing just what we were looking forward to Helpful pleasant staff and the walks beautiful Beach was handy to get to👍 Our daughter loves horse riding which she loved Thank you

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

I was disappointed to realise the swimming pool is off-site and out of season had limited opening hours. A tad cold for a sea swim. As this was why I pick hotels it means I wouldn't return.I think families wouldn't mind the pool being off-site and beach is so close.

Food was lovely as a vegetarian it was a tasty evening meal.

• Family Room

Would have loved a bear garden or outside area to eat in as the weather was fabulous

Staff overall were friendly and helpful.I was there on mothers day and got wished the same at breakfast by staff who went out of their way to make sure all your needs were met.The hotel

We were just there for one night and didnt have dinner so cant comment in detail

Friendly staff throughout the hotel. Location ideal for exploring area. Ample parking

Every thing

Location was fantastic..close to the beach..amazing scenery entertainment very good..staff helpfull and very friendly..food very very good maps for local points of intrest readyly available..so relaxing

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

Breakfast was huge, and Even though we had booked single rooms they gave us family rooms for same price cause they had them available. Such a decent thing to do in a hotel and unexpected. Really decent of them.

Everything- beautifully clean-room one of the best I have stayed in for comfort and facilities. Staff were friendly and obliging food in restaurant and breakfast room were great. I can't fault this hotel

The area was very quiet , but we expected that as it really is a summer destination. In the hotel the entertainment didn't start until very late.

Beds very very comfy indeed. The food was lovely, plenty of variety and the staff were just lovely.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

Breakfast was just ok; quality of ingredients wasn't great

Location right beside beach; great size rooms; comfortable beds. Bar food was good. Staff were lovely.

Being restricted by having set menu. Being a vegetarian there was no choice on this menu which was disappointing. There was only one item to choose from on the main menu. Despite this food was very good.

Atmosphere and good food, especially breakfast

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

No entertainment on bar on Friday night, breakfast ended at 10.30 a little too early and check out was 12 again bit early just needs a little stretched as on a break and having to get up so early

Hotel was very clean and staff very helpful n friendly

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

The staff were fabulous. The food was great and the atmosphere very relaxed.

To be honest I was swayed by the photo of the swimming pool and thought that it was on site until I arrived. I was disappointed. We had a family crisis and I was in a rush so didn't read the full description. I don't think the photos of the fittness suite & pool should be advertised.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

In design of Hotel, disappointed no view of the beautiful Bay from anywhere, especially as it is so close.

I stayed at a special offer price..so yes was good value for me.

• Reviewed: 14 September 2016

entertainment in bar, excessive noise from night club

the friendly waiting staff and the quality of the food, the excellent value for money Thursday set dinner menu

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

Bed a little to firm for my liking. Paid 132 euro for 1 night. Shud have booked directly with hotel. Wud have been 120 euro but that was my fault for not checking .

Lovely hotel. Excellent staff. Room spotlessly clean. Great breakfast.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

The only down side I wish I stayed for more days.!!

Staff couldn't do enough for us. It's like a home away from home. Rooms are clean and spacious. Ideal location for beach, pubs etc. Evening meals are excellent. Had one of the best holidays ever here. Advise anyone to check this hotel out you won't be disappointed.

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

everything

not good. we were away recently for seven nights as we toured the wild atlantic way ,we stayed in five different places and this is the only one i got wrong in booking.it was a let down from start. there was a football team had a few rooms next to us and i think they had a game in the room beside us.we complained,at the front desk and it eased off for a while but started again later. there was no opinion card in the room and when we were leaving the following morning the lady that checked us out never asked how we got on. the staff at breakfast were comical, fawlty towers would not look out of place there.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

The outside space was very poor - no view of the beach. Surrounded by tightly packed caravan park. Our room looked onto car park, bin area,bottle banks some of which Could have been screened from view. Realise that a lot of this is outwith the control of hotel.

Had been recently redecorated throughout which was good, Dining room very attractive and. Offered large selection at breakfast. Evening bar meal was very good but bar a bit lacking in atmosphere.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

Being charged for WIFI which wasnt always available. Breakfast was poor

First time we had to wait on a table for 2 or 4 for breakfast. We were down at 10 am and had to wait at least 15 mins

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

Wifi connection only for 24hrs at a time. Only one person per room got the code. Alot of hassel. Why not give code for total stay.Heating was not put on at anytime during our stay told it would come on at 17hrs it didn't. Free access to the local swimming pool which is 5mins drive away cleanliness terrible in changing rooms.

Location and staff very friendly. Had to change room because window would not close no problem with this fast and effecient getting this sorted.Breakfast lovely.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

Walls are very thin, I could hear people staying in the next room talking, which unfortunately they did until 1.30 in the morning.

Bed was very comfortable, room was spacious and modern. The food in the bar was good quality with large portions, didn't eat in the restaurant while I was there except for the included breakfast which was very good.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

As a couple we were given an adjoining room and we could everything that was going on next door.

Staff couldn't have been more helpful. We stayed for a family wedding and we had a great day and night. Hotel bedrooms very clean and comfortable.

bed was great!

Everything was great

Perfect part of Ireland

Clean comfortable and value for money. Beautiful location for scenery and touring donegal. White beaches everywhere.

The Food was very good.

Everything was great

All staff amazing and great craic, most comfortable bed I have slept in, in a hotel

Parking was poor ! There was a lot of noise at the hotel at night people next door bAnging about shouting noise .

Shower fan didn't work.

Good service and beautiful breakfast

No toasted Sandwiches, just a slight inconvenience

Breakfasts of your choice Daily, excellent

Couldn't get onto the wifi as it was oversubscribed.

Close to the beach. Friendly staff. Good bar menu and food.

No air conditioning in room

Location and bar

Great for local beach. Lovely bright rooms. Clean. Lovely staff

Incessant canned radio blaring in breakfast room absolutely awful; apparently a management decision

Reception staff excellent and helpful

There was nothing you couldn’t like

The staff were very friendly and helpful

Great location with friendly staff and good food.

Everything and everyone plus weather

Pay for Wi-Fi which is a poor facility when travelling for business

Comfortable and clean,staff attentive and friendly easy access to the beach,

I all good

Food very good. Evening meal and Breakfast.