Reviews of Dun Ri Guesthouse 3 stars

Hulk St., Clifden, Ireland

#8 of 16 B&Bs and Inns in Clifden

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

In a world that has become obsessed with superficiality,...

I liked everything.

In a world that has become obsessed with superficiality, this family-run establishment is a true "home-away-from home". Laundry delivery? No problem. Raining? Here's an umbrella. Need food different from the menu? No bother. The place seethes with quality, cleanliness and care. My friends stayed at another B and B, and they wished they had book the Dun Ri instead. But that's for next year!

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Best breakfast in Clifden!

Sat on a beach 5 miles away opened booking.com on my phone for first time flicked through accommodation in Clifden picked this B&B over pictures and feedback of reviews registered my credit card and booked in. When we arrived Michael greeted us and we were shown our room clean comfy bed excellent mattress close to amenities but peaceful location Plenty of restaurants and bars 5min walk breakfast was excellent and staff were 5Stars many thanks to the whole team for making our booking and stay as pleasant as we could of imagined for those reading this try out Michaels place and for ease download this app I'M HOOKED Declan from London

Great B&B!

This was our favorite B&B during our 11 day stay in Ireland. Warm, Welcoming, Super Clean! Best Breakfast! Michael was so helpful! Great Location!

Everything was perfect. Facilities, food, staff.

Super comfortable bed, the softest sheets and towels. Hearty tasty breakfast and very friendly staff. Very clean and comfortable. I would not hesitate to recommend.

Dun Ri is a delight

Nothing really except limited parking spaces out front

Lovely, fairly spacious room with nice furniture. Especially enjoyed having public shared space on ground floor. Two chairs were by a fireplace (only B&B we stayed in that had such a welcoming lobby). Also had a separate room with couches for guests to hang out in and a nice breakfast room. Only one block from the downtown center of Clifden. Highly recommend.

Clean friendly and welcoming. Great stay.

The guesthouse was very welcoming, friendly staff and owners. The rooms were spacious and clean and the location is perfect. Lovely breakfast also. We enjoyed the area so much we stayed for 2 extra days which was no trouble.

Great stay we will return.

The beds are very comfy, friendly owner & staff he was alwasy onsite to see to your needs. Cosy log fire to greet you on entrance to the guesthouse. Nothing any trouble. Would certainly stay again

very clean.

the bulbs in the light above the sink and beside the bed both need replacing

very clean. new towels and bed sheets evident. shower cap and shower gels etc were a nice touch. breakfast menu was also a welcome change from a basic fry.

Good overall and I would go back again

Room was cold one of the evenings so could have had heating on. Also would have been nice if I could have made tea in my room.

Bed was comfortable. Nice and quiet at night.

The best B&B on our trip!

We were greeted warmly and were given lots of helpful info about the town and places to eat. Roxy the guesthouse adorable little dog was friendly. The room was quite large, fluffy comforters, great bathroom. Excellent location in town.

Gem of Clifden

Could not fault the guesthouse with one thing.

The location was perfect. The building itself and room were immaculately clean. Beautiful room with a cozy bed and fab furnishings. Spotless. Amazing full Irish breakfast. Very helpful and friendly staff. I will most certainly stay again.

Couldn’t have chosen a better place to stay, if visiting Clifden again this would be 1st choice.

Owners and staff very friendly, room immaculate. Owner very knowledgeable on where to visit and how to get there. Short walk into centre of Clifden. Parking outside of door. Choice of breakfast, nice to have the home made brown bread with the cooked breakfast.

will go back again if staying in Clifden

Would have been nice to have tea/coffee in room but having said that you could go downstairs and help yourself to a drink whenever you wanted

very friendly & helpful staff ,good breakfast excellent location

Ideal location for Clifden

Towel rail in bathroom

A very comfortable property in a superb location. Plenty of parking available which is a bonus for Clifden. Our room was comfortable & facilities very good, a towel rail in the bathroom would have been helpful. The breakfasts here were superb & the best we had on this trip to Ireland.

suited what we wanted.

staff ok not very friendly.

location to our function in the station house hotel was excellent, beds was comfy, breakfast was lovely but served too early., breakfast ends at 10 which for us is a little early when we are on a night away.

One of the best B&b

This place was a dream . Spotless clean , beautifully decorated , professionally run , and hosts exceedingly accommodating . No tea in the room but found this wasn’t a problem as sideboard full of tea or coffee in the very comfortable lounge for guests downstairs . It was very close to town and good parking . Really rate this place .

This is a great find in a very nice town. We would definitely stay there again!

Nothing we didn't like!

The location was great, allowing us to walk to the many spots in town. Free parking was nice. Breakfasts were yummy! Host was quite friendly.

It was clean, comfortable and quiet. Central to the area we wished to visit.

We didn't ask but the weather was warm and a good breeze was obtained by opening the window but if it had been warmer a fan could help.

Breakfast had a good choice of dishes. Catered for my gluten free needs comfortably.

Dun Ri is an excellent B&B.

Dun Ri is an excellent B&B. Location is great, an easy stroll into the main square. The rooms are spacious and clean, the breakfast plentiful and delicious. Parking no problem.

Clifden & Dun Ri were lovely! Great trad music, easy town to walk! Good access to many sites in area

All good

Comfy beds & linens! Place to hang some clothes! Nice foyer/lobby! Spacious dining room! Fabulous crepe/pancakes made by Michael, yummy!

First, I made a significant mistake when checking out.

No dislikes.

First, I made a significant mistake when checking out. I thought that my stay was prepaid. As I later found out it was not. So sorry for my error, but it was corrected. In terms the the guest house. Very conveniently located near the center of town. The room was very clean and well maintained. The breakfast was excellent and the host very helpful and pleasant to deal with.. I'd highly recommend this guess house. A very good value.

We had a really nice stay and wished we could have stayed longer.

Our room which was a family room, had a shower over the bath, which my mother was unable to use, but they were very understanding and allowed her to use another bathroom with a shower.

Lovely older style family bed and breakfast. Spacious room, great breakfast and very friendly, helpful staff. Great location and within walking distance of local pubs playing live Irish music. Parking was also available which is not available at all BnB's.

Great guesthouse in a great town.

We have no complaints.

The guesthouse was charming and the smoked salmon for breakfast was amazing. The owner was very helpful in giving advice on where to visit in the area and Roxy the dog was a sweetie.

Good sleep and breakfast - Clean and nice

This is not an old restored B and B. I noticed that the fit and finish was very good, and that is unusual in older restored places. So I asked when it was built, and it was not that long ago. That explains it! The bathroom was nice and spacious. The bed was comfy. Breakfast was tasty. Quiet side street. Parked in front.

Loved it. Thank you.

Loved having the lounge to meet other guests. The room was perfectly comfortable, and the location was perfect--near everything, but one block off the main street so it was quiet. Check in was easy. a nice selection for breakfast. there is even a sweet dog to pet :)

Very nice accommodation, entrance hall with open fire very...

Very nice accommodation, entrance hall with open fire very welcoming, good selection available for breakfast. Staff very professional. Nice calm atmosphere

Despite the bitterly cold weather I enjoyed my stay

Nothing I can think of

First impressions excellent. Very welcoming. Good room. Comfortable bed. Quiet and peaceful. Excellent breakfast. Convenient to town centre.

The place is very cosy and comfortable.

After check-out we loitered about in town and the B&B offered luggage storage (thanks!). But since we needed access to our bags several times, we always had to ring and disturbed our fellow host. That felt quite rude, so maybe a separate key for access to the lounge would be an appropriate improvement.

The place is very cosy and comfortable. It also seems family-run; our host was friendly, helpful and easy going. Last but not least: The breakfast is superbe!

Location was perfect.

It took for long time to get hot water from shower but it's just small minus thing.

Location was perfect. My room was cozy and bed comfortable. As breakfast there were many options to choose from and I chose Irish breakfast which was very tasty. And their hotel dog was very cute

room cosy ,nice and warm !

room cosy ,nice and warm ! plenty of hot water and nice inviting open fire on way in. you could make your very own cup of tea in the nice comfortable lounge or living room. Breakfast nice and brown bread fresh.

Thoroughly enjoyable

We really enjoyed the friendly atmosphere, ease of access, central location and the knowledge, helpfulness and friendliness of the owners. Facilities were first rate. Also really loved the welcome provided by 'Roxy' the laid back 'watch' dog.

Lovely clean guesthouse with excellent breakfast. Good location in lovely town.

Property appeared ‘closed’ on arrival. Staff were still cleaning. Have to say that I’ve never stayed in cleaner accommodation , so 👍

Great room for guesthouse, more like a hotel. Spotlessly clean, excellent breakfast. Central location with 2 min stroll to pubs and restaurants.

If you're staying in Clifden, this is the place to be, and everything else was tremendous!!
    • Double/Single Room

The only thing I can think of that could have been better was if the owners had paid us to stay there. The price was very reasonable, however.

Perfect location in Clifden, not possibly to be better. Food was excellent. Everything was ship-shape, indeed, better. Whenever I go back to Clifden again, I shall try hard to stay here, and change the date of travelling if needs be. All four B&Bs booked through this site were magnificent, and there locations (including especially Dun Ri) could not have been better

Perfect place to stay

The parking was a little hit and miss, depending on what time you arrived, but everything else was great.

This was a clean, cosy B&B in a quiet position in the town. It was good to be within walking distance of all the local amenities. The staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice. Room was a good size with a comfortable bed and good shower. It was always lovely and warm. I loved the reception area with two armchairs around a real coal fire. I would definitely recommend this to anyone visiting this area.

we normally stay in hotels but it was booked out .this is a verry good bed and breakfast.10 /10

they have a pet little dog that seems to spend alot of time in reception . i do have dogs and love dogs but i do not allow them in my own buissness as i am aware of a small mynority of people have a hang up for various reasons, and as i would recomend this place a little discression my be a help to these lovely people.i would prefer not to be named as i my be back next year .thank you,

easy walking distance from the town and great breakfast and very nice girls working there.

Great place to stay in Clifden

Just about everything. Nice locating, well kept, very good breakfasts and Micheal the Innkeeper is great. Nice peat fire in the lobby every night.

Would recommend this place for sure. Greeat location.

Our room was onto the main road but we both use ear plugs to sleep so it was okay for us.

Room was very nice with comfy bed. Breakfast was great. Friendly and very helpful. Well located to go for food and drink in evening as only short walk back.

Great valve

Radiator didn't work in my room (room4) I wasn't cold anyway so didn't matter to me. Radiator was on in bathroom so heat was on.

Stayed down two nights, lovely clean place staff made me feel welcome, bed was excellent and had two great nyts sleep. Highly recommend this place to stay and will stay again on my next trip to clifden. Breakfast was excellent to 👍

Great B&B in Clifden!!

Everything is perfect. In particular, staff, breakfast and location. We have several options for breakfast. It's worth staying and I strongly recommend you to stay here. Best B&B in Ireland I have ever been to.

We will definitely be back to this guesthouse.

Centrally located without being in the midst of the bustle. This is one of the best B&Bs we have stayed in for quite a while. Very comfortable bedroom, great shower and bathroom facilities and a good hearty breakfast to cap it off!

It was all i needed and will be recommending it to friends

I have no complaints

Everyplace around the house was so clean and tidy. The host was very helpful with directions and where to go. He had the history of the local area. The living room was lovely and a great tea coffee service just like in a hotel room

Perfect base for the west coast.

Can't think of a thing.

Lovely guest house very central. Friendly staff, full of good advice and genuinely concerned that you stay in town is as pleasurable as possible. Recommended a great pub with great beer. Fantastic breakfast, try the scrambled eggs covered in salmon... wonderful. It rained from start to finish, but that didn't seem to matter. 'A fair clump a weather' as the landlord described it with a smile. Wonderful!

Our first stop on our first trip to Ireland and we miss you already!

Some herbal tea bags in the common room would have been helpful in the evening.

Loved the scrambled eggs and smoked salmon for breakfast! Michael was a delight to chat with and helped us out with lots of right on information.

My home across the sea.

time was too short.

Beds were very comfy, peaceful and quiet place, very clean and friendly. Fabulous breakfast. They even gave me a demonstration on how to make the butter balls! Nothing was too much trouble. will definitely stay there again.

Great night stay, great location.

Size of the shower... there was room for a bigger shower in the bathroom.

After several nights at other b&b's this was the first good nights rest on a great bed!

Family group of 9

Nothing! It was great

Beautiful property in a gorgeous area. Rooms were super clean and all facilities were excellent. My 25 year old musician son especially enjoyed a few hours on the piano. Thank you for a lovely stay and for the advice on what to see and do in the surrounding area

Quick visit - beautiful national park!

Nothing against the property as they were very accommodating with 2 toddlers! but hard to keep kids respectable in there - hosts were lovely though and said they were no problem, but hard for us to relax!

Rooms were lovely and comfy - very generous sizing. Pub on right hand side (as walking from house) was so friendly and accommodating - great music! Great playground at bottom of hill. Electric bike shop - people ever so friendly and great source of knowledge!

No Complaints!!

No complaints at all!!

Very nice guesthouse situated only a short walk to the center of Clifden. We only stayed one night, but were very comfortable. Could not have asked for more for the cost. Very good breakfast!!

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

First class!

First class! Comfortable room, great breakfasts - the bacon was even tender, the only B&B where we found this to be true. Service was wonderful, and our hosts were most helpful in recommending places to eat and hear traditional music earlier in the evening. This facility would also be ideal for a family group, since it has more rooms to offer and a larger dining area. We liked being able to walk to our pubs, restaurants, the ATM, etc. in the village.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Great bargain in town if you can do without elevator

No elevator. 1rst floor rooms open on street

Wonderful bkfast, varied and classy. Excellent bed if in 3rd floor, but no elevator thus unfit for elder guests

Dun Ri

In room 7 the guest above us got up at 7 o'clock and you could hear every single steps the doors creaking and the suitcases closing Need of carpet on the floor above is necessary

The beds were extra comfortable And the showers good pressure

Fantastic, central, great breakfast!

Parking available right outside the door and the B&B is located right in the centre of town. The room was comfortable and clean and the shower had fantastic pressure. Pancakes for breakfast were great :)

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

A very charming house !

Thank you so much for this delightful night spent in your lovely home, and for the succulent breakfast at morning. We will also remember for a long time your warm welcome and tout fois advice for the road. Thank you very much !

Ideal stopover to enjoy restaurants and bars

Nothing I can think of

The poperty was within walking distance to restuarants, bars and shops. It has onsite parking on a first come first serve basis and there were plenty of parking spaces nearby. Staff was friendly.

Great place to stay, with in walking distance to main st. and shopping. clean friendly,quiet

Ice is a commodity in Ireland and Scotland and the host gave me his only glass of ice to be found in this guest house, that being minor. Being in the town the view was not much but other buildings. but that is not what I stayed here for. In all the places we stayed at, I have to say there were no out lets to dry hair or style it in the bathrooms. Not even near a mirror

I loved the pretty guest rooms. the breakfast room was sunny and cheery. real close to every thing. we were close to a horse arena but there were sheep grazing there which sounded lovely. all things in walking distance but the shore. Loved the family dog.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

possibly the best meal I have ever eaten!

All round lovely hotel and the staff were helpful and v friendly

The food was the best we have eaten on our trip. Well done to the chef, really delicious thank you.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

Perfect location within walking disctance of all pubs and...

The room felt a little bit sterile.

Perfect location within walking disctance of all pubs and restaurants in Clifden. Big room, everything clean and a good breakfast. It was great to see that some other rooms underwent renovation work during my stay. The whole building looked like it was maintained perfectly.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Convenient and classic guesthouse.

Although off the main street where bars and restaurants were located, both nights revellers who appeared to be locals were very loud and boisterous in the wee hours on their way home. Being able to leave the windows open to take advantage of the lovely fresh Connemara air, an otherwise peaceful sleep was disturbed. Hardly the fault of the owners of course, but it was a surprise nonetheless since we were on a quiet side street.

Centrally located and convenient to walk around the lovely town of Clifden. Vintage guest house furnishings was very adequate for our needs. Additional sitting room with coffee ,tea and biscuits for after a long day of sightseeing was very welcome.

Brilliant stay in Connemara...
    • Double/Single Room

Great location with free parking, very friendly and helpful staff. The room was very comfy, clean and quiet. Very Family friendly, with brilliant large sitting room for guests with sofas, games, coffee and tea facilities. We had a really good time.

Excellent just off town location

Always prefer in room tea and coffee making facilities rather than having to walk downstairs to make a cuppa, especially when on the second floor.

Have stayed here before and will stay here again, the accommodation is ideally placed for an easy walk into Clifden town, car parking on site. Rooms are clean, comfortable and the breakfast is good.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

Lovely lovely lovely place

Although a kettle was available in the common room, it was often empty and there were no instructions on where to fill it up with water. Small issue, should be easily fixed.

It was just a great and cosy place to rest after a long day of exploring. The beds were comfy, we got fresh towels each day, shower was nice and hot and the heating worked perfectly. ALSO, their breakfast was delicious and really satisfying. BONUS: They have a cute dog who sits on the chair by the fireplace - it's also always up for a little pat/cuddle.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

Charming guest house near the coast.
    • Double/Single Room

The staff was exceptional, going above and beyond to make our stay comfortable. Everything was very clean and cozy and well maintained. The delicious breakfast was served in a nicely decorated dining area by personable, cheerful staff. Charming guest house and I highly recommend it.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

Delightful stay

Very nice & informative host, Michael. Nice warm room with a comfy bed and a nice view. The location is very good with an easy stroll to the pubs and restaurants. Great coffee! Highly recommend the scrambled eggs & smoked salmon - delicious!

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

Luxury comfort in a warm, local environment

Nothing. Can't wait to come back!

The property is located just outside the town which means it is quiet. Main Street is a 2 minute walk away though so it's still in the heart of it all. Staff were very helpful with local information. The rooms were beautiful and extremely comfortable. Free parking outside was also very convenient

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

Very nice hotel.

Shower had little to no pressure, but I'm sure that's fixed now. Place was otherwise perfect.

Perfect spot to explore underrated Clifden, which was great.

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

Stunning B&B - would highly recommend!!

-While the quality of this B&B was amazing, it was that little bit more expensive too -It seems to be the B&B standard to have instant coffee so I ordered tea as usual, but it's no harm in mentioning that putting a cafetiere with a nice grind in it is an awesome touch I think more B&B's should pride themselves on

-I loved this Bed and Breakfast and would absolutely stay there again and recommend it to anyone and everyone debating where to stay in the area -Staff were absolutely lovely and they had a sweet little dog, Roxy, who melted my heart -The room itself was fully equipped and seriously cozy and clean. Looked out onto a field with 2 happy sheep. -Stunning breakfast -Free parking just in front -Wifi

Absolutely brilliant B&B, 99.9% flawless, let down by poor WiFi coverage (not a big deal though)

The wifi coverage isn't great. First stay was fine. Second stay towards the front corner of the property, the coverage is very poor so I couldn't use it at all. This can be easily fixed though with another access point at the upstairs front corner. It's really not a massive negative, but when you are travelling on business and need to be connected, sometimes tethering to your mobile device isn't ideal. This really is a brilliant B&B and when I travel to Clifden on business in the future, which I will most certainly be doing so, I'll stay here again. I've stayed twice already.

Staff are brilliant. Cannot fault them at all. Very easy-going, any issues dealt with on the spot. The owners have a cute dog named Roxy. Absolutely top notch. Beds are super comfy, stayed here twice now and got a proper nights sleep each time. Make no mistake, this is the best B&B in Clifden by a mile, and I've stayed ina few of them over the years.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

So lovely.

Fab guesthouse in the centre of the town off a quiet side street. Friendly staff and tastefully decorated. We will definitely be back. Just loved the place.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

Dun Ri the best place to stay right in Clifden.a

The staff were attentive, lovely and gracious. There are so many choices for breakfast including local smoked salmon. You could not find a more charming, impeccably clean and well maintained guest house, and the location is superb...walk everywhere!

The host, Michael, and his team were first class.

The host, Michael, and his team were first class.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Good value, present staff, good breakfast

Comfortable pillows, soap and shower gels in shower, good size television.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Our room was very clean and well furnished. Staff were warm and friendly, breakfast well presented.

First impressions, the hotel was nice and bright outside.

Lovely friendly staff service was excellent from start to...

Lovely friendly staff service was excellent from start to finish! Thank you so much

Perfect spot for a relaxing getaway in Clifden. Centrally located too.

Super friendly and accommodating staff.