Reviews of Emmet Hotel 3 stars

Emmet Square, Clonakilty, Ireland

#13 of 17 hotels in Clonakilty

Think it was the Lady that owned it or was the manager made the effort to come over to us in bar and ask did we want a picture together, as she had seen we were going to a wedding. Very nice.

Room was approximately the temperature of the sun, bed was uncomfortable, bathroom was unclean, in general room was run-down.

Staff friendly, breakfast good, location very central.

Great location, excellent value. Clonakility is a great place to stay, bars and restaurants in abundance. A short drive from the coast for the beaches, for walking and golfing. In short its an idyllic location, and as a bonus the sun shone!!

• Family Room

The staff were very helpful. The service was excellent. We had our dog with us and the staff were very good to her making sure she had water etc. There was a beautiful little park across the road from the Hotel. There was a lovely garden you could sit out in when you were having your meals. The food was excellent. There is also a lovely Conservatory that you could have your breakfast in.

Excellent location.. each and everyone of the staff were friendly polite and very accommodating..cleanliness was excellent.. Beautiful

Location.. the garden is lovely.. very different style hotel but excellent

Larger bed but probably difficult in older property with smaller rooms.

The breakfasts were particularly good- freshly cooked. You could choose a mini Irish breakfast instead of a full Irish- just perfect for me( says mummy bear!) The Library was a lovely space to relax in. We were allowed to take our dog there too.

No lift which can make it difficult for carrying bags ... Nightclub underneath which only opens in the Summer months .. this would put me off staying there as I like a good nights sleep

Freshly made breakfast every morning - delicious Complimentary water when checking out Extremely friendly staff

Mattress a little bit too soft

The meal in bar was excellent with great efforts at giving gluten free options ,staff extremely friendly,pleasant and helpful (particularly girl working in the bar Wednesday night )

Room and bathroom a little dated. shower had good pressure but water was only like warm all weekend. Mattress could do with an upgrade

wonderful service and staff. Good also beautiful

Breakfast ok, but not as good as I was hoping.

Staff were great. Room spacious & comfortable. Less formulaic than chain hotels & better for it.

• Classic Twin Room

Televisoin in bedroom very small

Staff very friendly. Food excellent. Bedroom very comfy and warm. Made to feel very welcome. Lisa was fantastic and made our stay extra special.

The noise from the nightclub and other guests( the guests weren’t being noisy - the walls just were very thin, could hear them sneeze)

The staff were very pleasant and helpful

• Classic Twin Room

The noise from the Disco was a mite loud.

Staff were excellent & breakfast was v good. Location is practically in the centre of town, near all facilities. I stayed just one night but would highly recommend this Hotel

• Classic Twin Room

The front desk wasn't manned when we arrived and despite ringing the bell we were left waiting for approx. 10mins. Breakfast was adequate (not a huge selection).

The staff were fabulous, showed us to our rooms personally. The bar staff were very friendly and happy to joke around with us - dinner was delicious. The rooms are cosy and comfortable.

The room is in keeping with the era of the building. It was lovley to be walked to our room upon checking in. The toasted sandwiches are lovely beside the fire with a cup of tea.

• Classic Twin Room

The hotel was great but when booking the hotel it said the nightclub only operated during the summer months. We went in November and the nightclub was on until 3am and could be heard clearly in the room. The receptionist had warned us so at least we knew what to expect but I would have preferred to have seen it when booking the hotel and then I would have probably chosen a different hotel.

Friendly staff, nice décor, comfy beds and great location

Room was very pretty but quite cold given it was November & the building is old. There was an electric radiator but it made too much noise to have on during the night.

Great location in the town centre, comfortable & nicely decorated lobby. Bar food also very good.

• Classic Twin Room

Given two single beds when specified I was travelling with my partner and son. My two year old son fell out of the bed twice due to lack of space. Room very dated not worth the price we paid. Nightclub kept us up till 3am no1 warned us of this

The food was very tasty and well presented. Staff very friendly

Staff and owners very helpful and friendly. Room very comfortable. Breakfast was amazing especially the Irish porridge with honey. Guinness brilliant.

Being in the company of some smokers, it was awful to see them standing outside the front of the hotel or there was a side door they could go out side too. They are paying customers too and should be considered.

I liked the homely feel of the hotel. The different areas one could sit and relax outside of the room.

The Emmet Hotel is so welcoming, beautiful building and interiors. My room was warm, stocked with lots of tea/coffee and the comfiest bed and linens. I was working throughout the day, room and internet were great for this. I didn't stay for breakfast but I did have my evening meal there the first evening and it was a great option in between working. Location is perfect for any time of the day strolls around town. Thanks for a great stay!

• Classic Twin Room

In the room the bathroom was outdated and the mattress was quite hard. Although the breakfast was good, some elements of it were disappointing. For example, limited choice of fresh fruit and the fruit compote of dried apricots and prunes had insufficient ‘juice’ to soften it making it hard work to eat.

Staff very friendly.

Nothing - we were happy with everything

The staff were very helpful. We had asked for a quiet room and a late checkout and they were able to help us with both requests. The location was fantastic.

The staff were lovely and welcoming. The bar food was lovely. The breakfast was gorgeous. The part that topped any hotel I've ever stayed at was the chilled bottle of water when checking out! A simple gesture that was so welcoming!

A little bit noisy.

It was noisy from other guests. Kids running up and down the hall, but this is poor parenting and not at all the hotels fault. The staff were friendly, the place was nice and fresh.

The bed wasn't very comfortable but other than that the room was lovely.

Lovely hotel in a central location. We were able to get parking right outside the door. The staff were very nice and accommodating. We arrived early and were given complementary coffees in the bar while we were waiting on our rooms.

Bed in room 3 very hard and uncomfortable. Pillows also. Got very little sleep either of the two nights we were there.

The breakfast menu was fabulous and diverse and cooked to perfection. gorgeous french toast with bacon and maple syrup e.g. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Great location, about 2 minutes walk to all the lovely shops and restaurants.

• Family Room

No complaints, heard the music from the bar but our kids slept through it and we did too.

Excellent location, walking distance to anywhere in Clonakilty.

Room too small for two. Should have been upgraded to larger room when charged extra 4 second person even though my mistake initially

Staff sittingroom barfood location

The shower functioned well but was a little old... didn't matter technically it was more the asthetics...

The atmosphere and service was great - a lovely family business with all generations involved... Amazing breakfast and lovely welcome.

They had a nightclub,which felt like it was under our room. Unfortunately I was unaware of this nightclub.. I should have checked trip advisor sooner.. I was travelling with 2 young children..I stayed on a Thursday night and my children eventually fell asleep From exhaustion... The hotel is nice, but double check when the nightclub is on if you want a nights sleep...

The staff were friendly, the room was comfortable..The court yard was great for children..

The building and rooms could do with some upgrade work. For 172 Euro per night you'd expect a higher standard.

Breakfast was fantastic Great location Staff were very friendly

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

Room was really warm and the window only opened a small bit - asked for a fan but they said there was none left so it wasn't a good nights sleep. Had dinner in the bar - food was just ok, kinda overpriced for what it was.

Good location in the middle of the town, nice desk space in the room to work at, comfy bed. Receptionist kindly printed off some pages for my meeting and they kept my bag in left luggage until I could collect later in the day.

It is not that I did not like it but the only issue I would have is around the cleanliness of the bathroom floor in the room. It was not badly needing attention but was noticeable. The room itself was beautiful and spacious.

The quality of the food was excellent, including the breakfast, we had two evening meals as well. The menu is set but everything was well cooked, tasty and of a very high quality. Staff are excellent and friendly.

Had both dinner and breakfast, both were very good. Found cost for breakfast bit high, booked though Bookings.com. breakfast on confirmation at 10.95. I was charged 29 euro for 2 breakfasts, only 1 of us had 1 glass of juice, 1 cereal and then 2 full irish. To be fair I didn't mention it to receptionist. Those who booked direct with hotel got better deal.

The food was terrible,I had eggs Benedict and it was floating on the plate,also waited 35 minutes for a toasted sandwich.

Room was very comfortable,Some of the bar staff and breakfast staff could do with some training .

The nightclub. It is a horrendous idea to have a nightclub under a hotel with no sound proofing. Even with ear phones in and playing music off my MP3 player I could still tell what song was being played in the nightclub. Everything else with this hotel is absolutely perfect (if a little expensive), lovely staff, food and rooms but because of the nightclub I don't think I would stay there again even on a night when the nightclub isn't on, it has unfortunately left a sour taste in my mouth.

Lovely staff, really comfy bed, nice room. The breakfast was really tasty with a good choice, bar food similar.

The breakfast could have been a little better, more options.

The bed and hotel room was lovely, the staff were more than helpful and friendly. We really felt welcome! Will definitely be coming back.

• Classic Twin Room

The rooms could have done with a ceiling fan as the days were were hot and the rooms very warm and stuffy.

The breakfast was very good cooked to order. The fruit juice was fresh and the cereal selection good.

The rooms were poor and the bathroom wasn't great. The noise from the nightclub was awful and kept me awake until the early hours of the morning. Was warned about there being some noise disturbance but the amount I heard was ridiculous. I complained and did not have to pay for the night's accommodation which was a fair outcome.

The downstairs rooms are nicely decorated and the bar is comfortable.

That I only stated one night. Would have loved to have stayed longer

The staff topped it off. They were amazing, kind and so friendly. Loved our room, was cute and cosy.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

We had exceptional hot weather. Brilliant for Ireland and the holiday, however, the bedroom at night was too hot without air conditioning. Not a major issue as sleeping occurred by resting on top of the bed.

Location excellent. Beside amenities and easy access to all road routes. Staff pleasant and open to genial conversation.

Beds need upgrade,windows only open a bit ,aircon unit on roof is running 24/7and kept us awake and stag party slamming doors all night 155 a night not worth 9o euro

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

The only thing I didn't like was leaving :-)

There was nothing not to like. The hotel & more to the point, the staff, just could not have been better.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

I was booked in with a lot of family..we all payed more or less the same yet my room was dark and not very nice to spend time in even though it was clean and nicely decorated..my sister had a beautiful room with a street view, plenty of light and a little seating area for ths same price..

Breakfast was gorgeous..loved how quirky the decor was..lovely hotel and staff and the nightclub next door was very handy.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

We stayed on the June bank holiday weekend, very welcoming gentleman at reception checked us in and showed us to our room, We ate in the bar which was really lovely. Our room was big and bright with a large en suite. Its a very lively hotel with a nightclub, which did nt bother us. Bed was so amazingly comfortable and the breakfast was just perfect. upon checking out we were given a nice cold bottle of water each..nice touch...will come stay again

Breakfast wasn't included in the room price which meant that the nightly rate was a bit expensive

Clean comfortable quiet room. Great location in a pretty town

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

Loved everything about this place. Beautifully decorated room, comfy bed and shower. The Nespresso machine in the room adds a special feature. Free parking in front of it and very close to main street.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Room a bit tight on space. Ditto bathroom.

Very homely and friendly hotel. Good food available til late in the bar. Very central location in heart of town. Handy parking outside.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

The bathrooms are dated and the showers are very poor. Our room was located at the back of the hotel overlooking the rubbish bins. There was a pressure pump going on and off all night under our window which woke us many times during the night.

The rooms were very nicely renovated in a chic colourful style. The bathrooms didn't get the same attention and are quite dated. There's a lovely sitting room by the reception. The breakfast was nice and well cooked.

• Family Room

Everything was fantastic, from start to finish. We received a lovely friendly welcome. Our room was beautiful. The breakfast was delicious. Will definitely be back.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

• Classic Twin Room

Don't stay on a Saturday night unless you're going out on the town. This is where the nightclub is and you will hear it until 330am.

Fantastic location right in the heart of the town. Great breakfast and lovely staff. L

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

There was not anything we did not like.

The food in the hotel was lovely and well presented, we did not eat any where else as we new the food was very good and the staff we so lovely and so freindly.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

There wasn't anything

Very nice and homely staff relaxing areas decor was just lovely and music in the courtyard very nice Breakfast had all you needed and lovely dining area

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

• Classic Twin Room

Noise from neighbouring room's bathroom fan woke me a lot during night.

Lovely west Cork style, great welcome and send off. Cosy bar, fine breakfast.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

• Family Room

The carpet rug at the entrance to the bathroom had an electric cable running underneath it which caused the rug to rise. This was a hazard when coming out of the bathroom.

The Hotel is situated in a beautiful location with a good selection of restaurants nearby. Overall a good hotel with good facilities.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

• Family Room

The noise escaping from the music session in the bar and later, from the night club. The illumination in the room was poor because three of the seven available light bulbs didn't work.

The value and location.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

• Family Room

The rooms were great a lot nicer than expected and the food in the bar was amazing. Have recommended this place to friends and would certainly stay again

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

• Classic Twin Room

It was very expensive for what it was. 150 euros and breakfast was 19 euros per person. The hotel will say high season but the town was dead. Stayed in a 4 star in Killarney and another 4 star both hotels were cheaper with great facilities.

The entrance and rooms off the reception are nice. The room Was pretty basis with a small bathroom.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Lovely family run hotel. Very comfortable family room no complaints about anything very clean. Staff excellent. Good breakfast. Good location. Couldn't ask for anything more really.Will certainly stop there again when we go to clontikilty.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Not a lot really, too noisey . There is a late night nightclub and extremely loud . Someone tried to get into our room at 5 Am . Bed was very just a regular double . No bath no breakfast and rate was 149 . !!!!!

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

Smell of food cooking all over hotel. Need better extractors in kitchen. Was given poor room and then moved to better room as problem with poor room. Should have been given better room in first place if they were not fully booked!

Location good

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

Couldn't fault anything

Staff were very attentive, there was a group of 10 (family) staying, all were very happy with the Hotel. My room was cold but, a heater was provided immediately I asked. We would definitely stay there again. Price was excellent too.

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

• Classic Twin Room

Maybe breakfast included. A bit noisy with the night club, but wouldnt deter us from staying in your hotel again.

We had ordered toasted specials (closed sandwiches on sliced brown bread) but got open toasted specials on brown soda bread. It was quite nice though, so there wasnt an issue.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

Our room was quaint, warm and cosy the perfect place to stay during a chilly November. Fantastic location with helpful and very friendly staff. The overall experience felt so personal. Can find no faults.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

• Family Room

Nightclub on site. No sleep for 2 nights. Finished after 3am. Plus live music in the bar till 1am. No sound proofing at all. Very little sleep

Location in town good

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Loved my stay. The Emmett hotel has great character and is unique. I enjoyed a tasty chowder by the roaring fire on a chilly Autumn afternoon and enjoyed a good sleep in a comfy bed. Clean, comfortable, good attention to detail. Staff were attentive and made one feel at home. I would recommend The Emmett to a friend and look forward to my return

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

Their Wi-Fi was terrible, as was their TV signal. Tiny television. No air con and the window opened 1.5 cm (not even enough to get your finger through). The door to the bathroom opened inward tight against the sink on the right, bath ahead and toilet to the left. This meant you had to perform a shimmy shuffle to get in and out. You have to go looking for receptionist - they were always off somewhere doing their own thing.

It looked nice

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

The room wasn't great. It was a very busy weekend for the town so we got one of the last rooms. I'm sure they have better to offer. Far to expensive for the room we got.

Staff were helpful.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Bed was very low and uncomfortable and was not a king size as advertised. Bath towels were like tea towels - small and flat. We expected a better quality hotel as the price per night with no breakfast is high.

Bathroom could do with freshening up.

Great location, so easy to see Clonakilty from (on foot). Lovely breakfast and both the reading room and the bar were excellent. Great fun with the staff.

• Reviewed: 3 September 2016

• Classic Twin Room

When they say their is a night club take note. It can be very noisy! The WiFi is only usable in the lobby area. I found this to be a problem.

Very close to town. It was convenient to have the restaurant with the bar there.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

Our Room was over a night club no sleep until after 3.30am. The cistern took about 20 minutes to re fill and for 2 guests it was dreadful. Stale smell of food when you walked into hotel. The cost was 136 euros not including breakfast, I ended up paying119 euros, a complete rip off. This room should no be let out when the night club is running. Mary Canty

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

The bar and lounge are a little lifeless.

I loved being on one side of the beautiful and quiet Emmet Square, and also close to the main streets of Clonakilty.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Everything was great

Rooms are lovely,staff very friendly and helpfull. They even gave us bottles of water leaving in the morning would definitely stay here again 10/10 😊