Reviews of Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services available. It's based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Farnham Estate, Cavan, Ireland

#5 of 17 hotels in Cavan

Read more– opens a dialog box

• Reviewed: November 14, 2018

Very relaxed.

The food choice downstairs was not much to go on! Bit more selection and open a bit later Would have been nice!

Absolutely, great spot and very well run. Will definitely be back!

I won’t be going back

My partner made a brief call on the telephone in the room which we were charged €11 on checkout. We wanted to check how much the rates were beforehand but no one answered our calls to reception. Also the no children in the spa/pool area was very disappointing.

The views

Room was stunning.

Room was stunning... Food in general was excellent I think I was just unfortunate and made poor choices in my food because my husbands food tasted far better than mine!

• Reviewed: November 13, 2018

Overall not bad, made worse by the appalling food.

The Maxwell restaurant was very disappointing. The staff were great but the food was a big disappointment.

The facilities were as we expected having stayed before. I liked the ambiance and atmosphere.

• Reviewed: November 12, 2018

looking forward to the day i return (soon)

there was a very bad smell of sewerage in the bathroom, because we spent a lot of time in the spa and on the grounds and not in the room we didn't want to complain

breakfast was lovely, a lot to choose from, spa area was so relaxing, it was so nice to chill after using the pool and just look out at the beautiful grounds. room was beautiful, everything you need is supplied. staff were so friendly and helpful, we will be returning in the near future :)

• Reviewed: November 12, 2018

fantastic stay.great to relax and spend time with my hubby.

Absolutely nothing everything was fantastic and will definitely be back again.

Loved it everything was fantastic. The spa was exceptional. Breakfast had a large variety of drinks etc. Loved smoothie. Bedroom was clean and up to a high standard. Dinner was delicious

• Reviewed: November 10, 2018

Lovely place

Have to pay to use the spa after checkout. It was a lovely big bath but meant a big step to get Into the shower although not a problem for us.

Good sized room. Good breakfast. Nice walks within the grounds. Nice place to stay. We only ate in the bar but the food was nice. Short drive into cavan. Staff were all friendly. It's a short walk to the car park but they provide a shuttle service so don't have to carry your heavy bags.

• Reviewed: November 9, 2018

Had a relaxing time and will come again and be able to do all the trails.

Pillows.

Really loved the Spa and pool, staff very friendly and helpful. Enjoyed one of the walks we were able to do as my husband was recouping after surgery.

• Reviewed: November 9, 2018

Outstanding

The food wasn’t as good as I expected. The evening food was so hot we had to wait for about 10 mins before we could even attempt a bite (after initially burning our mouths). The breakfast on the other hand was luke warm. There was nothing wrong with the food at all though, but it just didn’t go the extra mile in the way that the rest of the hotel and facilities did. Don’t let this put anyone off visiting at all, I just want to add this as a note for the hotel management.

The facilities are second to none. The spa and pool are outstanding, I will return just for this.

• Reviewed: November 8, 2018

4.4
    Very disappointing!!
    • Standard Twin Room

Service at dinner was Terrible, although Clare was a sweet girl who served us, our table the whole meal was littered with empty glasses from our bar drinks and when the young guy came with about ohr 4th round I had to TELL him to take back the empties!!! Food was ok just but before we were even seated Claire told us what there WASNT on menu which wasn’t really what should be said until we were seated comfortably!! Quite off putting! It’s my 3rd time and I must say I noticed a big change.. gone down terribly!! My 3 sisters whom 1 was with( it doesn’t happen often)one was 60 and myself celebrating my 50 th hadn’t been before and they were all very disappointed with the whole experience.. we didn’t have a spa or anything like that we went to chillax, enjoy some comfort!!! And generally unwind. They noticed how dirty the carpet was when we got out of lift! And how dark and dingy it was... this is their feedback to me.. so overall it wasn’t good!! When we complained to the manageress in the restaurant they give us back €49.. it was a bonus but we weren’t looking money back we just thought we’d better view our opinions.. as I say Claire was very sweet and was making the best of a bad situation! Unfortunately none of us has a desire to return!

• Reviewed: November 8, 2018

Another enjoyable, relaxing stay... Thank You

There is nothing we didn’t like

Our second time staying . staff so Friendly & so helpful, bedroom Spotlessly clean & bed so comfy, we Always enjoy the buffet style breakfast. Pool & Spa Facilities are amazing & Relaxing. Great having a shuttle bus to & From the carpark. Already looking forward to a return visit In the future. Thank you once again Farnham Estate Hotel & Spa for another Throughly enjoyable & relaxing midweek Getaway

• Reviewed: November 6, 2018

Lovely hotel with beautiful surroundings

Hadn't been to the hotel in a while and before we just ate in the cellar bar instead of the restaurant. Now there is a nice grill menu in the restaurant. Had fillet steak- delicious! Lovely grounds and walks along the edge of the lake. Great live music in cellar bar late on Sunday evening. Not to mention inifnity pool-amazing- swimming outside in the pool while it was raining! Can't wait to go back!

• Reviewed: November 6, 2018

The spa and location were great.

Restaurant was an absolute shambles on the night we dined( Weds 31st oct) food dire and service absolutely atrocious.

The spa and location were great.

• Reviewed: November 5, 2018

The grounds were really nice.
    • Standard Twin Room

The spa was only ok. Not 4* by any means. Everywhere was brightly light and everything looked a bit dirty. Felt more like a public swimming pool than a spa. And the cafe in the spa was extremely poor, Dirty tables,the floor was filthy. Had to wait 25 mins to get 2coffees and a baked potato then I was charged €3 for a filtered coffee. And seemed to have plenty of staff, Not enjoyable. Also no slippers or bags for muddy boots at side entrance as advertised. Also the chefs can’t cook a steak correctly, I got the beef Wellington on the Friday night I was asked “what temperature would I like it” so I asked for medium, half of the meat was cook medium but the other half was rare, the waitress kindly gave me a glass of wine to apologize,I was not expecting anything like that so that was nice. Then in the maxwells restaurant on the sat night myself and boyfriend ordered 2 steaks both med-well. His one was med-well and mine med-rare!! Maybe I’m just destined to eat raw meat.

The grounds were really nice. Lovely walks around the lakes and Forrest. Long Driveway very dark when arriving after sunset. Just didn’t expect that but it was okay. The room was nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable. Tv very out dated but it was okay.

Plan to visit in the spring or summer of 2019

Weather doesn't create any problems as you have the spa. If the weather is good you can enjoy the lovely walks in addition to the spa. Enjoyed the outside part of the pool both at night and during the day.

• Reviewed: November 5, 2018

had the best stay ever ,, everything was brilliant , staff...

had the best stay ever ,, everything was brilliant , staff lovely ,,, food excellent and our room was stunning , we will deff be back :) thank you so much ps great value, had 4 meals in maxwell grill all 4 course wine, drinks after dinner drinks, bed and breakfast and 2 treatments in the spa , could not fault any of it .

• Reviewed: November 4, 2018

Very expensive and not worth the money

The food in the restaurant was average No snacks in the hotel - this doesn’t suit my wife but the reception staff got me sorted from THEIR vending machine - why isn’t this available to those who stay??

The comfort in the room

• Reviewed: November 4, 2018

Everything about it, food was lovely, staff were friendly...

Everything about it, food was lovely, staff were friendly and atmosphere was calm and relaxed. Treatments were carried out in a relaxed and professional manner.

• Reviewed: November 3, 2018

Thank you very much for superb service, I am already planning my trip back very soon!
    • Standard Twin Room

I'd a nineteen month old baby boy with me and all the staff couldn't have been more helpful. A lovely man in reception parked my car for me instead of having to wait to get the shuttle bus- a gesture I greatly appreciated. The best experience I've ever had in a hotel.

Relaxed and rested

The main restaurant is very understaffed for both breakfast and evening dinner. We observed and experienced delays in ordering, staff mixing up orders, starters arriving along with main course. Dining in Cedars, although in the same building, is the standard of service expected of the hotel and was present in every area previously.

The setting and spa facilities have kept their charm and standards high! A lovely place to take a relaxing walk or dip in the outdoor pool - even in winter temps

• Reviewed: November 3, 2018

Fabulous location, grounds, spa and bedrooms hard to beat.
    • Standard Twin Room

Food always seems to let Farnham down. While breakfast is good, lunch and dinner are less than average and service confused.

Fabulous location, grounds, spa and bedrooms hard to beat.

• Reviewed: November 2, 2018

enjoyable

Was our forth visit, Last time i was here it was run by raddison, the restaurant since then has went down hill significantly, our waitress introduced us to our table and then listed all foods not available on the menu, food is poor, menu is so small, breakfast is ok, service was that slow in the maxwell i think it was called we just left, we decided to go into cavan town on our second day for lunch and for dinner which was more enjoyable. the service is of no fault of the staff, they looked significantly short staffed, everything else is good as usual, the food just wasnt too a great standard and the staff were so young, the place maybe just needs an experienced leader in that restaurant and more staff, also in the spa there is no free orange juice, thats not a big problem, would just have liked some pure orange juice and herbal tea's like there use to be.

The location and room as usual is always spectacular, pool, sauna, steam rooms, everything else is brilliant, the gym is also very easily accesible and is enjoyable to make a bit more room for food! Breakfast was enjoyable like the last few times we have visited.

• Reviewed: November 2, 2018

Beautiful hotel with fantastic front of house staff, Maxwells left a bad taste unfortunately!

We stayed for two nights and would have been as happy not to have left the hotel at all during the course of our stay. We ate in Maxwells on the first night. This meal was the worst experience of our stay and genuinely the worst meal of our 30 years eating out. The thai fish cakes were poor but the pearl barley and roast chicken was atrocious. As well as that, four items we had chosen from the menu in Maxwells were not available. The scallops, chicken wings, duck spring rolls weren't available on the night and the following day we ordered a bagel which arrived out without the exotic addition of coldslaw as advertised on the side, which was unbelievably unavailable! We ate in Cavan town on our second night and ironically had one of our best meals ever in the Oak Room Restaurant there.

The hotel grounds, actual facilities and front of house staff we met were excellent. The breakfasts were excellent!

• Reviewed: November 1, 2018

A lovely place to stay and relax.

Some slight shabbiness that could be addressed, but only very minor.

The setting was spectacular - autumnal colours in a woodland setting. Pool and spa were brilliant. Everyone was quick to help and very amiable.

• Reviewed: October 31, 2018

This was our second time here this year and we will be back...

This was our second time here this year and we will be back 100% The walkways around the hotel are amazing. Everything about this hotel is amazing

• Reviewed: October 31, 2018

High expectation having stayed twice before, but disappointing third stay as standards have slipped.

The standard of the breakfast has deteriorated. Did not replenish breakfast items during busiest hour. Furthermore, the spa was overpopulated and not enjoyable.

• Reviewed: October 31, 2018

Relaxing break away, surrounded by beauty and fabulous facilities!

Slippers supplied in the room wernt very cosy unfortunately!

Great value, great food, great location! Over-all a truly fabulous experience! Highly recommend for a relaxing break away!

• Reviewed: October 31, 2018

It was fine. Wouldn’t be returning

Waited a long time for my room to be ready. Staff said they would call to let me know when it’s ready. There were so seats to wait so had to stand around for an hour. Received no call from reception so had to go back up to the desk and ask again and the room was ready. Don’t know why they never called us. And they also didn’t care

Room was lovely.

• Reviewed: October 30, 2018

Far too over crowded, treatments not available, huge number of people packed into the spa leading to a very uncomfortable spa experience. Not really a place for romantic weekend away by any stretch of the imagination

• Reviewed: October 30, 2018

A beautiful relaxing breat.

Nothing not to like

Fabulous hotel. From start to finish.. staff. Facilities and food amazing. Great location for a short break. Thermal suite and pool fantastic .beautiful view from room. And lovely woodland walks

• Reviewed: October 30, 2018

Room was nice and spacious.

Staff were not professional, would have expected more from such a high rated hotel, ate 3 times in the hotel and each time something was missing from the order. The food in Maxwell's was very disappointing, steak was very dry. The Cellar bar was absolutely freezing and nothing could be done about it, ordered drinks to the table and they were forgotten about. Could not bear the cold in the bar anymore so went to the lobby to have a drink but could not sit there as the strong smell of silage ran throughout the whole hotel, ended up in bed by 11 pm. All in all was very disappointed with my stay, considering the price for one night I was expecting much more. A lot of improvements to be made in my opinion.

Room was nice and spacious. Comfortable bed and pillows. Decor was also nice.

Perfect. Food, staff and facilities 100%
    • Standard Twin Room

We had a great stay at Farnham this weekend. We couldnt fault anything about our stay. The facilities were great. We used the spa and the restaurants. Food is amazing. The staff were so nice and friendly. This was our second time and we will definitely be back again.

• Reviewed: October 30, 2018

It is an amazing hotel, the spa was amazing and the man who...

For the amount of money you are spending in the restaurant the service was terrible we waited over half an hour for a drink which wasn’t even right when we received it, I had to go out to the bar and get it myself after about 40 minutes because no one came back to us. A couple came in after us and they got the drinks, starters and main course before we got ours which was just a main course each. The restaurant and the cellar bar need a lot more staff as there was no-one happy with the service the two nights stayed which is a shame because the food was lovely.

It is an amazing hotel, the spa was amazing and the man who done my massage was brilliant I was very relaxed after. The facilities are great I would highly recommend the hotel they just need to sort out the staff in the restaurants.

• Reviewed: October 29, 2018

Ok, not great. Won’t be rushing back.

No food after 9pm in Cellar Bar despite what it says in the guest guide book.

The Spa was excellent. Good live music on Saturday evening. The grounds were beautiful

• Reviewed: October 29, 2018

Great, relaxing trip especially for larger parties given size of hotel
    • Standard Twin Room

Average meal in Maxwell Grill- restaurant much busier than expected which led to a long delay in receiving our food which was just average

Surroundings, spa and bedroom

• Reviewed: October 28, 2018

Beautiful hotel, stunning grounds.
    • Standard Twin Room

It was pricey. Paid €179 for one night B&B for a wedding we were attending. Arrived 3pm and rooms not ready til 4pm so we were hanging about a bit. It was hard to find, sat nav wasn't finding it. Thank goodness for Google maps!

Beautiful hotel, stunning grounds. Food was excellent, staff were mostly very friendly. We spent a couple of hrs in the spa the next morning which was pure bliss!!

• Reviewed: October 27, 2018

The staff were friendly and helpful!

The staff were friendly and helpful! Room was spacious and very clean. Spa facilities were fab as were the therpists! Lovely walks. We really enjoyed our stay!!

• Reviewed: October 27, 2018

The breakfast was delicious.
    • Standard Twin Room

The breakfast was delicious. The pool and thermal suite is a great facility to have access to during your stay . The rooms are well equipped and very comfortable.

• Reviewed: October 24, 2018

Player 18holes of golf with brothers on lovely course while...
    • Standard Twin Room

Player 18holes of golf with brothers on lovely course while our wife's made use of fantastic spa. Had beautiful meal in restaurant afterwards everything was top notch.

• Reviewed: October 22, 2018

Loved our room- very nicely decorated and comfortable- not...

Dinner not great, both food and service. We went into town and had an amazing meal at the oak room the second night. Instant coffee in the room and in the spa- ugh.

Loved our room- very nicely decorated and comfortable- not mention large. Spa was amazing as was the service in the spa. Breakfast was good. Estate home open in the evening to lunge and it was gorgeous. Grounds beautiful for a long slow walk.

• Reviewed: October 22, 2018

lovley break except for noise keeping u awake the views from our room were beautiful
    • Standard Twin Room

but unfortunately we were on a floor with a hen party and we were kept awake all night by shouting banging of doors etc.

hotel and staff and facilities were second to none.

• Reviewed: October 22, 2018

We ate in Maxwells the first night, this is the grill / steakhouse we were told. They have the different options of cooking your steak in the the menu ( rare, medium etc). So, it looked like as a steakhouse they knew what they were doing. I ordered Medium and my husband picked medium rare, both steaks came out ruined. Pretty burnt, and extra well done if that is even possible. It took about 5 cuts to actually cut a piece off. The waitress and manager were very aplogetic and did discount them from the bill, however tbh, I would have just preferred the food to be cooked right. This also came after I almost had a bowl of soy sauce land on my lap when the first waitress plonked down the start and the bowl slide across the plate. The second night we got room service as we were late up from the spa. Picked off the menu and rang down, but was told the it was the old menu we had in our room, so George bought up the new one. Ordered and the food arrived in good time. the waiter asked us to sign, but had no pen! ( same thing happened the night before in maxwells!) Then I noticed the thai green chicken curry I ordered had no chicken! I rang down and they said they would fix it, poor George is sent up again, and instead of redoing the curry they just sent up a bowl with a cut up chicken breast in it. Third night we ate in the cedar rooms, 5 courses for €50. the restaurant setting is beautiful and the Maitre d and our waitress were brilliant a welcome change. Main course, wine and dessert were lovely here, however my starter was awful, duck tortellini, it was so think and held so much water, when you bit into it, all you could tast was water. When we came out of the restaurant, we were greeted with an extremely strong smell of Slurry flowing in from outside. We had to leave the goose cellar bar as the smell was way too overpowering, we asked the bar lady about it and she said it happens from time to time.

Stayed for three nights this October with my husband. Have been looking forward to come here for ages as we previously had to cancel a stay. I thought it was strange at arrival that you couldn't drive up and park at the hotel, you had to park a little bit away and then wait for a courtesy shuttle. But it was fine, George is a credit to the place, a lovely gentleman. The check in was very good and the room itself was lovely. The spa is really nice and also cafe vista the cafe in the spa, the lunch was lovely. But, take away the Spa ( and george!!) and this is a really average hotel where the waiter service / food leave a lot to be desired for. We had issues with every meal we had.

• Reviewed: October 16, 2018

Top quality hotel

Booked room through booking app making sure it was a balcony room however was put into a room without a balcony. When queried with staff they said they don’t offer any balcony king rooms. Very disappointed by this as I specifically wanted a balcony room didn’t feel there reasoning was adequate as they blamed the booking.com for having the wrong information! Didn’t feel they did anything to compensate not having the correct room that I booked and put all the blame solely on booking.com for this was very disappointed by this.

Top quality hotel

• Reviewed: October 15, 2018

Very comfortable bed, beautiful landscape and spa.

For some reason, during the afternoon, none of the restaurants were open, so only room service was available.

Very comfortable bed, beautiful landscape and spa.

• Reviewed: October 14, 2018

Perfect Location for Spa Day.

The infinity pool was not as warm as I had hoped and dinner was a little bit standard. But neither would put me off going again. However I was disappointed there was no music in the cellar bar at the weekends.

The Spa and pool lived up to the hype. Lovely atmosphere around the pool area. They provide you with a very comfy bath robe n slippers on arrival. Extremely relaxing. Breakfast is also excellent.

• Reviewed: October 11, 2018

lovely stay for special occasion
    • Standard Twin Room

We had the split level suite and thought some things could be improved. The blinds did not go fully down to cover the full window. Also should have blackout lining. A mirror near the bottom door would be good as it's difficult to use hairdryer. a coat stand is also needed. Service at Maxwells was very slow, not the staff's fault as they were very busy.

Staff were very helpful, location perfect and we had lovely breakfasts. The bed was very comfy and the room tastefully decorated. spa was great and we enjoyed dinner in the Cedar Rooms.

• Reviewed: October 11, 2018

Cannot wait to return

Absolutely beautiful hotel. Leave your car in the carpark and be transported to a world of luxury and relaxation for your stay. Excellent facilities - beautiful, comfortable and clean rooms. Amazing swimming pool and spa. Choice of restaurants and bars with amazing food and spaces to relax. Very professional, friendly and accommodating staff. Beautiful grounds to explore. Exceeded our expectations and cannot wait to return!

• Reviewed: October 8, 2018

Not an enjoyable stay , did not come home refreshed

Staffing situation was terrible, awoken by very noisy residents, rooms were just average on cleanliness and that was exceuctive suite . Windows were disgusting Overall felt the hotel felt very cold

The spa was lovely

• Reviewed: October 7, 2018

A disappointing stay, unfortunately!

I wish we could have turned off the bathroom fan, it was constantly on and we were aware of it at nighttime. We had a very disappointing meal but breakfast was much better the following morning. Both in the evening and the following morning, we felt the staff in the bistro type restaurant were pleasant but very disorganised . We were hoping to have a snack in the cafe at the health spa but it was closed by the time we arrived, soon after 4 pm. There were no snacks available in the cellar bar, not even nuts or crisps. We were offered shortbread biscuits! Again, staff were pleasant but unprofessional . It would have been nice to have had a coffee machine in the bedroom.

A lovely hotel, ideal for a short break, and nice grounds to walk around. Our room was really nice, and quiet, apart from the fan in the bathroom which was constantly on. There were beautiful views from our room and a little patio area. We were there as part of a birthday celebration and there was a lovely greeting and some macarons waiting for us in the room.

• Reviewed: October 5, 2018

Best Spa in the Country

Poor experience in restaurant. Booked in for 830pm and never got dinner until 10pm. Very disorganised.

Everything else! AMAZING hotel. Spa is outstanding!

• Reviewed: October 5, 2018

We loved the facilities and bedroom
    • Standard Twin Room

We were terribly disappointed with the food. Had lunch in vista cafe and it was extremely disappointing. We had dinner in maxwell restaurant, the starters arrived within minutes of ordering as did the main courses , again the food was extremely disappointed

We loved the facilities and bedroom

• Reviewed: October 3, 2018

The hotel spa was lovely and service was great

The food was not great at all unfortunately. On the night we did not complain because the service was so good but food was not good which was the only downfall of our stay

The hotel spa was lovely and service was great

• Reviewed: October 2, 2018

I'd go back in the morning

The place itself is fab! Spa & pool area is a dream.. a lovely place to spend time off. Restaurant was lovely as was food. Cellar bar had great vibes & very friendly barmen who were very accomodating.

• Reviewed: September 30, 2018

Nice hotel with very comfortable bed.

The only inconvenience is that the car park is some distance away from the hotel which means you either have to walk or get the service car. Also, there is a pig farm located near by which depending on the wind means that you can smell it.

Nice hotel with very comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: September 30, 2018

Pleasant stay, convenient for the event we were attending

The orange juice at breakfast was unrecognizable as orange juice . The coffee wasn’t great

The room was spacious and very comfortable. The grounds were beautiful . We enjoyed a nice meal in Maxwells grill room

• Reviewed: September 30, 2018

The grounds and old building are stunning and the spa...

We had dinner for my partners birthday with his family in Maxwells Grill and the main was fairly average at best for all of us unfortunately - but the desert was nice!

The grounds and old building are stunning and the spa facilities especially the outdoor heated pool was just amazing!!

• Reviewed: September 28, 2018

Will be visiting this pleasant place again.

There was nothing.

The cedar room meal was outstanding and the room had a very good view.Overall stay was fantastic and the staff were very helpful and pleasant.

• Reviewed: September 28, 2018

Can't wait to go back

No bar food, and reservation had to be made for restaurants.

Nicest hotel we've stayed in. Staff were friendly and helpful. Room & Facilities were excellent, we wish we stayed longer. Breakfast lovely, and runs until 11, not 10 like a lot of hotels. Recommending to everybody!

• Reviewed: September 26, 2018

Lovely Hotel with Spacious Rooms and an Amazing Pool and Thermal Suites!

We loved everything but maybe the bar menu could offer a couple more options.

Everything - this is an amazing place! The rooms are spotless, spacious, very comfortable, and decorated nicely. The indoor/outdoor infinity pool and the thermal suites are amazing and very relaxing. The grounds of the estate are lovely to walk around through the forest and by the lake. Dinner and breakfast were tasty.

• Reviewed: September 26, 2018

Overall absolutely wonderful experience

I have nothing negative to say with my stay at this hotel

Rooms are beautiful an so pristine ‘ breakfast was very nice with a menu to suit every taste . I was also surprised that breakfast was served up to 11.00 o’clock with every thing still fresh an hot

• Reviewed: September 25, 2018

Expected a higher standard.

The room had not been hoovered and there were lots of crumbs and hairs on the floor. We addressed this to the maid on arrival but it was not corrected. Dinner in the bar was cold. The bar was extremely busy but that was no excuse for receiving very cold food which could have resulted in food poisoning had we eaten it. Sides did not arrive. The manager corrected this but our fresh, hot food did not arrive until 2230 hours. The hotel only removed one glass of wine from our bill as compensation. Myself and partner regularly go spa hotel breaks when for each of our birthdays. We had heard great reports about this hotel and were let down by the standards in the hotel. Prior to writing this review, my partner contacted the hotel via email but the response was rather nonchalant.

Great spa facilities. Lovely location.

• Reviewed: September 25, 2018

Worth the money??

Food in maxwell was very poor, both meals were distasteful an not cooked to a good standard! also the shower kept flooding in our room an found bathroom very unclean! For the money paid wasnt very satisfied

The staff were very helpful an the spa facilities were amazing

• Reviewed: September 24, 2018

Gorgeous hotel

FOOD in Maxwell's bar.. More like a restaurant and you have to book in advance. Food was ok but staff inefficient.

Rooms, hotel and the grounds are gorgeous.

• Reviewed: September 23, 2018

Relaxing break
    • Standard Twin Room

Sewer/ drain smell that I've noticed in reception/spa and cellar bar on numerous stays. Hotel spa just getting a bit worn, standards seem to have slipped in the past year, messy loungers and no soundproofing in treatment rooms, I could hear next doors conversation throughout my treatment. Room wasn't ready when i arrived at 4.45pm, I did get offered complimentary tea and scones but too close to dinner.

Fabulous breakfast and great evening meal. Outdoor pool, no kids allowed in pool area. Comfortable beds. Beautiful grounds.

Food was average at dinner but the breakfast was good 😀

There was no music in any of the bars or restraint which really effected the mood of everywhere, and the food was average at dinner but the breakfast was good 😀

Food was average at dinner but the breakfast was good 😀

Overall very relaxing

The restaurant food was not good with the evening meal. It was not appetizing and not good value for money. We ordered the same meal but they served different portion sizes.

The room was nice and the facilities good. The staff friendly and helpful. The grounds have nice walks. Love the swimming pool.

In a word "delightful "

Nothing much but the complex will become even better when new changes become bedded in

The environmental aspects and facilities created an ambience of complete relaxation

• Reviewed: September 17, 2018

Did not live up to my expectations.

The breakfast was cold both mornings (the fry), a part of the carpet in our room was falling apart, so much so I tripped on it and hurt my toe!

The location, the grounds are amazing! Lovely views and felt very safe.

• Reviewed: September 17, 2018

The Spa is a massive let down.
    • Standard Twin Room

The Spa is a massive let down. Awful infact around pool and steam room etc area. The upstairs area is quite nice. Not enough emphasis of dark light, comfortable beds. The wicker beds with no mattress is just horrendous by the pool area!!

• Reviewed: September 15, 2018

Perfect spot for a romantic weekend

The bar menu could be a little bit better with more options.

Room was perfect, the fridge was an added bonus! Staff could not have been more helpful and the spa was amazing, we spent most of our second day there.

• Reviewed: September 13, 2018

The hotel ruined our Mini Moon Break!!!

Absolutely everything! Rooms are freezing cold, the complimentary robes were wet and the walls of the room were paper thin. Staff didn't care about the complaints and did nothing to rectify the situation! Worst hotel we have stayed in in Ireland! Definitely do not have the usual irish hospitality you get elsewhere! Stay clear!

My husband and I stayed at the property as part of our minimoon straight after our wedding as we wanted to travel around Ireland. We were put in a room that we did not book on arriving at the hotel. We were placed in the old part of the hotel, the room was extremely cold all night. The radiators did not work and our dressing gowns were wet when we entered the room. As the night went on, the room got colder and colder and was unbearable uncomfortable. We complained to the front desk who said they would get a manager to speak with us as we were unhappy but no manager arrived. The bathroom floor was concrete and got that cold during the night that we had to place towels on the floor to walk on to make the floor bearable. During our stay there was a wedding taking place, our room was right next to the room the event was taking place in. The music was so loud in our room it felt like we were in the wedding! We didn't get to sleep until gone 3am because of the noise levels. Again these were reported but all we were told was that it was a wedding and it would end soon! Our reason for booking the hotel was supposed to be to get some relaxation after the stresses of planning our own wedding and to unwind after a busy wedding day and that is certainly not what we got!! It was an awful experience and started our minimoon off on such a bad note. I have complained to the hotel since returning home and been told management would contact us and they did not!

• Reviewed: September 13, 2018

As a regular customer the hotel has gone very downhill dramatically. dissappointed.

It began with your reception staff being unable to retrieve our booking even though I booked it on 15th may 2018 and had our booking confirmation from booking.com. Your staff member, was anything but helpful and left us waiting for over 15 minutes while she went to the bookings manager to retrieve our booking as well as making me feel as if I was making my booking up. The room was nothing like I imagined as it was sold as a King size but was no bigger or better than a standard. The level of maintenance is obviously something you have cut back on because there was hinges missing, lamps that didn’t work, poor lighting and the most harrowing was the seal on the shower door was faulty and thus the shower door wouldn’t close fully which meant that every time one of us had a shower the whole floor was soaked. I am sure you are aware of the duty of care that must be given to guests when you welcome them into a hospitality environment and this level of health and safety is below par. . As we were there for a special occasion, we wanted to have a bottle of champagne that we had brought with us. However, when we looked there was no bottle opener or corkscrew for us which didn’t make sense as there was a wine bucket and 2 glasses in the room but no opener. Don’t see the logic in that but we rang reception and asked for one to be brought up and we got through to X again. This time however see was nicer apologising for the 20 minute wait for the bottle opener and informing us they had no one to bring it up to us. Again below standard service. We then went to switch off by going to down to the health club where we weren’t even acknowledged as we walked in. We planned on seeing if there was any treatments available but after this we decided against it. We have actually left feeling disgusted.The only pleasant part of the trip was the polite courtesy car drivers. I work in the service industry and I actually can’t get over the poor standard of your service.

the shuttle service for carpark to hotel is very good. pool was nice.

• Reviewed: September 11, 2018

Amazing stay in totally amazing hotel....well worth the visit

I've nothing negative to add.

Drive leading up to hotel, courtesy bus collecting guests from car park, hotel exterior, hotel foyer/reception, quick check in, hotel layout, spaciousness, fabulous décor, quietness and privacy afforded to guests, lots of choice where to sit and relax, totally gorgeous rooms to relax in, beautiful gardens and green areas to walk round, large size room, more than adequate facilities in hotel room (fridge, tea/coffee, iron, robes and slippers), comfy bed, large bathroom, lovely view from hotel window, great food (in cellar bar and breakfast room), friendly approachable staff, outstanding spa and pool area. All in all - one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in!

4.5
    Was good, could be great but wasn't (dirty pint glass left in room on our arrival)

Attention to detail was very poor. When we arrived in the room there was a half empty bottle of water and a dirty pint glass left in the bathroom, not a very good first impression Floor in the cafe in the spa area was very dirty. We were there on a babymoon before the arrival of our first child in October and just wanted to enjoy early nights with some netflix to relax. But the TV in our room was ancient (no HDMI) and they said there was not a more modern one in the entire hotel. Overall, our stay was good but could have been much better had the attention to detail been better.

Nice room, great pool and pool area and the treatments I booked in the spa were lovely.

• Reviewed: September 11, 2018

overall very happy with stay
    • Standard Twin Room

eat in the restaurant on the saturday steak was a little tuff an could have been a little warmer bar food was 1st class also food coukd have been a little warmer rang reception on 4 occasion to ask to get the tv fixed also had to ring 3 times to get fresh towels room was not serviced on the sunday an on the monday(day of check out) house keeping came to the door at 10.30am to see if we wanted the room cleaned

staff were very friendly spa was spacious an excellent facilities plenty of options at breakfast, was 1st class calming an relaxing atmosphere everywhere