Reviews of Garnish House 3 stars

Western Road, Cork, Ireland

#8 of 24 B&Bs and Inns in Cork

Exceptionally nice guest house in Cork

Nothing - it was perfect.

A warm welcome accompanied with tea, bread and butter, scones and cake - just great after a long trip! We stayed in the newer part of the building and the facilities were excellent in our room - even a table and chairs and fridge. It was nice to have the option as to whether to have breakfast or not. Would highly recommend.

When we were checking out we had to pay for breakfast.

When we were checking out we had to pay for breakfast. This isn’t a huge problem, but they don’t indicate anywhere that it’s not included. We would have liked to have known so we could have chosen a quicker cheaper option. It left a sour taste in my mouth that they sprung it on us as we were leaving.

The whole stay was perfect!

Nothing. All was good!

The whole stay was perfect! We were greeted with tea and scones on arrival- yum! Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Not to mention, the location was an easy walk to Cork’s main sights. Lovely BnB!

Bathrooms are small but they have everything you need.

Great location. Staff was very nice. They also provide laundry services. Breakfast portions were huge, depending what you order. Definitely walked away full every morning.

Lovely B&B.

Our room was quite small as were the bed and bath. My husband is 6’3” and could barely turn around in the shower. I would definitely stay here again, but ask for a larger room.

The food and staff were excellent.

Very clean & comfortable room/bed, easy walkable...

Showers are very small

Very clean & comfortable room/bed, easy walkable access to Cork City! We only stayed one night and slept in too late to enjoy their provided breakfast but overall it was a pleasant stay with no issues!

Would recomend

Disappointed that breakfast was not included in the price that was paid

Location is good. Owner welcomes you with an afternoon tea and scones. It is an easy walk to the pubs, restaurants and shopping.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Comfortable room, great staff, excellent staff

The window glass is too thin (no sound / termic isolation). Be careful with the plug adaptors that the staff gives you: unfortunately, many of them are not working any longer.

Breakfast is excellent for a honest price (considering the price of a coffee in Ireland). The staff is extremely kind and helpful. The Wi-fi works very well.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Great location, amazing breakfast

the only problem was the angled roof above the bed which made sitting up a hazard for anyone tall.

The property was it a great location, it was an easy walk straight into town. Our room was clean and well fitted out, including a fridge. The breakfast is fantastic and amazing value for money, you won't need to eat for the rest of the day.

Good old fashioned hospital

Nothing to dislike

A beautiful house with spacious rooms. A lovely welcome with hot, freshly made scones and tea. Breakfast to die for. Hospitality +++

Breakfast great with multiple options all included.
    • Superior Room

Nowhere to hang wet washing like socks/underwear. Bit pricey for B&B/Guesthouse compared with hotel

Breakfast great with multiple options all included. Room good, bathroom small, location good - walking distance to centre and pubs/restaurants.

Great breakfast in a B&B that needs some sprucing up.

In comparison with the other B&B's I've stayed in so far, it's not as good a value: smaller, less modern rooms in an old building. The greeting was more mechanical than friendly and the furnishings are in need of replacement.

The breakfast menu is among the best I've seen: great selection and very good quality. Parking is convenient and ample. Location is not far from restaurants and shopping.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Nice spot just outside the town core.

There wasn't anything that stood out as something that I disliked.

Staff is there 24 hours and are very helpful. It's a lovely building and the beds were comfortable.

Pleasant and attentive, but could have done with a larger bed.

Room and bed very small for 2.

Excellent attention by staff (late arrival). Cleanliness of facility, rooms etc Location (close to University and city centre)

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

We felt so appreciated being there!

Our hosts were so gracious, friendly and informative. Marsel & Johanna especially...they tended to you with sincerity and a personal touch. The breakfast was just incredible!

most enjoyable and will most definately return

If we could have stayed longer and enjoyed breakfast

Due to my early appointment in the Bons Hospital, my daughter was allowed to stay parked at Garnish House until she collected me later from my appointment. She was then free to walk into the city.

Garnish was flawless. The afternoon tea was a nice touch on arrival especially after a long journey. The choice of food was excellent. The staff were excellent. Leave it to the Owner she was Superior.

Overall great

Poor wifi did make a big difference; also I was in a room in the second building (the right-hand entrance door) and couldn't access the left building with the key, which wasn't awful but a bit of a shame as I prefer that lounge area

Very comfortable beds and bathroom lovely, plus having a fridge freezer in the room was brilliant

The breakfast was great, the place was very clean and the staff was friendly and accommodating.

I liked everything

The staff were very friendly and went above and beyond to be helpful. Unfortunately, I had to use a medical facility during my stay and the staff could not have been more helpful and accommodating. I would definitely stay there if I were to visit Cork again.

Elegant hotel in a nice part of town

Staff were SO helpful! Property is lovely, good sized room, immaculately clean. The breakfast was amazing, such incredible choice and perfectly cooked. Even the cab driver told me about the amazing breakfasts at Garnish House!

Great staff, great food and convenient location.

The staff was extremely helpful and the service was excellent. The breakfast was terrific. We were looking for an authentic Irish guest house experience and received it here. They even served our favorite Irish tea.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

You'd think that the staff should not have to tell adults not to slam doors and yell when they come in at midnight, but it might be good to include something about how noise travels and the front door especially when you brief guests about their stay. If your room is over the front door, you can feel it slam.

The breakfasts were phenomenal, and the entire staff were amazing! They are super-accommodating for the erratic schedules that trans-Atlantic travelers have, and they were so warm and welcoming. The breakfast and hospitality make this B&B easily worth staying at. The B&B and surrounding area feel very safe, and there are some lovely places to walk around nearby. There are some great restaurants within a short walking distance, and a cab to/from the train station is pretty cheap.

Great location and fantastic breakfast. Staff are lovely too. Just be aware of small double beds

The room was quite hot and the double bed very small, so sleeping was not comfortable. Can't help the weather but it was a very narrow bed. (My husband is tall and slim and I'm petite)

Great location for walking into town. Across the road from the university and near a park. Staff were lovely. The welcoming afternoon tea was very much appreciated after the drive from Dublin. Breakfast was amazing. So many choices!

Friendly staff and huge delicious breakfast

room was very hot but it was 30 deg outside in the heatwave

unbelievably delicious and huge breakfast. Free of charge they provided dairy free alternatives and baked special bread. Incredibly friendly staff, my 3 daughters had an amazing time on our girls trip.

Amazing hospitality

I had coffe and thè in my room but I forgot to ask for the kattle.

Really nice custemer service. I was feeling at home. I will choose it again next time. Bed superconfortable. 10 minutes maximum wolking to the city center. Ilaria

Breakfast choices supreme!

Was able to return unbooked for a separate night the following weekend. No room available in main house, but on account of the breakfast was content to be in an annex 10 minutes walk up the road. Obviously not so convenient. but charge was reduced. And the grilled trout at breakfast was just as delicious!

Breakfasts! Range & variety of dishes & ancillaries, all available from 7am, served by lively & interested staff, impossible to match elsewhere within my personal experience. My gluten free diet was instantly catered for. Having booked for one night, needed to decide afresh each day, and they were able to keep me in same room for 4 nights, rebooked each day. The substantial snack freshly prepared on one's arrival (teatime on my case) made for a happy start, too.

Excellent accommodation and very good value for money

The location was excellent and the breakfast was extensive . The scones and tea/coffee on arrival was a very nice touch. More places should offer this.

great situation with easy parking

we did not have breakfast there as we do not eat much at that time of day but it did smell very good and others looked well pleased. Great situation opposite the main university site and only 10 minutes walk into the centre of town. But it is worth taking the longer way over the river and along the north side.

Arrival and the scone & tea - nice move.

Room was small and to class the bathroom as tiny would be generous. Wasn't as easy to find as I had hoped as the car's navi didn't understand one way.

Arrival and the scone & tea - nice move.

Good for a B&B. Transcendental experience for breakfast-lovers.

It was close enough to the city center to walk. It was in a safe part of town. It was right across the street from a beautiful entrance to University College Cork. There was on-site parking. The breakfast was beyond awesome.

A great place to stay at a competitive price.

The bed could have been bigger.

The room was compact but it was nicely designed. Although the bathroom was small the shower was good and it was all very clean. The staff were so friendly and extremely helpful.

Breakfast was fantastic!

Room was a nice size but was a little tight with the couch in it. There were already two chairs and a table so plenty of seating.

The staff were excellent. Sarah was very helpful answering our questions about Cork. Our room was clean and we had a nice view from the third floor. The bathroom was big and the room cozy. We had a couch, 2 chairs and a table. It would be more spaces if they took out the coach. Bathroom clean. Breakfast was the best and a surprise for us. I thought it would be a regular Irish breakfast but it was beyond that. They had several selections for breakfast plus a small cereal section with yogurt, fresh fruits and a break and cake section. The best breakfast I’ve ever had at a guesthouse or a 4 star hotel. When we arrived we had tea and scones, cakes and bread. What a treat! They also had free parking. Location was good to walk into town. Took us 15 min.

This is a welcoming and comfortable place to stay.

There was nothing that I can say that was negative.

The staff was so friendly and accommodating. The breakfast was great and the welcoming afternoon tea was such a nice touch. Fantastic!

Great place, but small room!
    • Family Room

Not the greatest location and the bathroom was so small. Looked like a converted closet. Room was also very small.

Great that they had parking and the staff were very helpful and accommodating. Breakfast was amazing!!

The location was wonderful as well as the staff!

The location was wonderful as well as the staff! We were greeted right away and then offered tea, coffee and sweets! My children loved it! The breakfast the next morning was wonderful!

lovely staff, excellent breakfast, wonderful beds

nothing, we were very happy there, go on like this an keep the standard!

we had a room with 3 beds, enough place to stay, yet not very spacious in general, sufficient for a short stay. The staff is extremly helpful and friendly, and - as I had a VC to attend - helped me to find a quiet place where I could do my work. The breakfast has been praised in nearly every comment - I have to say it is at least equal to Tara House and the fisher´s lodge - delicious. What was really a nice welcome for us: we were offered tea, scones and jam when we arrived, a very welcomed offering. Finally, for me very important: excellent matraces!

Stayed for the breakfast and free parking

It was nice having a safe box but it was really difficult to get to in the bottom of a wardrobe where the wardrobe door could not be opened fully.

The rooms are clean and perfectly OK but not too spacious. The best thing about Garnish is the legendary breakfast with so much choice on offer. It is not possible to leave the breakfast table without feeling totally full for the rest of the day. My favourite was the apple and cinnamon pancakes. Free parking and wifi was important to us.

Perfect!

From the moment of arrival everyone could not be more helpful. Scones and hot drinks to welcome you was a treat! This is a well run, well kept accommodation - faultless.

Pay the €20/€30 extra and stay in one of the Other BnB's on Western Road. I wouldn't be recommeding

Please be very weary of this place.! We booked Garnish House, expecting to stay in the location and Building that was advertised. Instead we ended up in a different Building to the one advertised. This wasn't a massive inconvenience; however the building we stayed in was old and dated. The bathroom had not been cleaned properly, there was what look like beard trimmings in the bath/shower unit. Check out was advertised as 11.30am. However, the cleaner decided to enter our room at 9.50am. It was also quite noisy; the walls are fairly paper thin and you could hear the people in the floor below us quite easily. I thought it was a joke that Breakfast was not included. It was €236 for 2 nights; to not include Breakfast for that price is ridiculous. I suspect it was the fact that we didn't pay the extra for Breakfast that they decided to put us in the other building

Parking. Location. Ease of Access

Will most definitely be back 😊
    • Family Room

I can't fault Garnish House!

Welcomed with complimentary scones, brownies, croissants, tea coffee the works. Perfect location. Staff are lovely. Rooms were comfy. No fault whatsoever. Will be back!

Fantastic, warm and welcoming

Totally my fault - I didn't understand the shower and ended up having a cold/hot/cold/hot experience, thanks to Matchek it was soon remedied.

The owner Johanna is a wonderful woman, she made us feel so welcome. The staff were amazing, nothing was too much trouble. On arrival we were given a tea of scones and home baked treats which after travelling was absolutely lovely. I'd also like to take the time to recommend the breakfast. We ate it once, on the last day when we were rushed to go to the airport and we regret not taking the time to appreciate it properly. If we were to stay again then I would be there at 7am and taking a nice slow time of it. It was delicious and definitely not to be rushed. The beds were so comfortable I actually asked what make they were. Next time we're in Cork we'll stop by again. Thank you for everything.

The staff was more than very friendly and helpfull.

For 2 adults, the room, and especially the bed, was very small. The room had a window to a light well. The air exhaust of the kitchen also went into that light well and in the morning our room smelled like bacon and eggs.

The staff was more than very friendly and helpfull. The welcome tea with scones, toast, jam and cake were a very nice surprise.

Overall, for the value, the Garnish House is an excellent choice when staying in Cork.
    • Superior Room

Just be mindful of the small bathroom if you are more than average height.

The service mindedness and friendliness of the staff, the wonderful full Irish breakfasts, and the very convenient location with easy walking access to Cork Centre.

Nice place to stay for 1 night

The room was very cold at the moment we arrived. Shower didn't work

Nice place, friendly staff, fast wi-fi, close to the city center, however, tranquil and quiet place

Friendly staff available for late check in.

No lifts! Old style B&B. We were up 5 flights of steep stairs.

Friendly staff available for late check in. Wonderful hot tea, scones and breads offered after check in on a cold, wet Easter night warmed us all up & put us in a good mood after a long day.

Misled that we would be staying within a guesthouse (but were given an apartment elsewhere)

We were allocated an apartment in a building down the street across a traffic junction. The entrance hall was dark and uninviting and gave the immediate impression of dingy student accomodation. The apartment had a musty smell and the decor was dated and mismatched. The bed was very lumpy. There were marks (scratches) in the bath. A hand towel was folded up and left on the top of the toilet cistern. On check out I politely brought our dissatisfaction to the attention of the owner. She was very nice and professional and said that we could have been moved if we told her earlier. As we were in a real hurry the previous evening (with taxi waiting) we didn't have time to let her know and request move. As a gesture, which was appreciated, she offered us complimentary breakfast.

Excellent breakfast and pleasant and professional staff and owners

Three nights in Cork

Toilet took time to recover water pressure. Not quite central.

Welcoming tea on arrival. Host took time to answer questions. Room larger than expected. Handy to bus.

The tea and scones upon arrival were wonderful!

Had trouble at check-out and now I’m having to dispute a payment because I was charged twice.

The tea and scones upon arrival were wonderful! The staff was amazing. Great location.

Certainly a great location to be in to visit Cork.

Sometimes the noises of doors banging (in other rooms and also front doors) were a little disturbing.

The location was ideal for walking into Cork City, also I walked in the adjacent Fitzgerald Park and went on a tour of University college Cork, which was just across the road. The staff were so very helpful all the time. When I was leaving at 4am for the airport, the night porter came to help me with my luggage as I was in the annex to the facilities. Having the kitchenette and laundry facilities were also appreciated for a long stay specially.

Very good.

The en suite is very small and basic.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Fantastic breakfast and great location, especially if visiting the university. Scone on arrival are a nice touch.

Great Time in a Good Place -CORK!!!

Bathroom a bit small, but standard size for British/Irish Geust houses.

You get the value for your money, did not try breakfast. Ate at the nearby cafes.

Location, clean and very comfortable.

Got charged for breakfast which I thought was included, however it was lovely.

Location, clean and very comfortable. Staff very friendly. I'd stay there again.

Excellent hotel to explore Cork! Right across the street from the University and best staff ever!!

They have off street private parking, but it could be labeled better as there are multiple parking lots in close proximity to each other.

The hospitality was top notch and the breakfast was delicious!

The best B and B in Ireland, not just Cork. A real joy.

This is by far the best Bed and Breakfast in Cork. Mrs.Lucey and her staff are excellent at what they do. The house is spotless. Rooms are warm and modern. Breakfast has to be seen to be believed!! Garnish House in a must.

Friendly, helpful staff.
    • Family Room

Radiator in 1 of our rooms never came on.

Friendly, helpful staff. Lovely tea/coffee cakes complimentary even with late check in. Great selection of cooked to order breakfasts if you’re a bit tired of the “full Irish”!

Very enjoyable, home from home feel. Will definitely stay here again.

Shower could be more powerful.

Extremely comfortable beds in a nice warm room, very quiet. The complimentary welcoming tea/coffee and scones/breads. Beautiful food. Very friendly staff.

Nice b&b 10 minute walk from town

We didn't pre-book breakfast and the booklet in the room said breakfast for guest is 10e. When finishing the breakfast we were about to be charged 12e. When asking about this we got an answer breakfast being 12e when pre-booked via booking.com- which we didn't do. Also we were told there must be old info in the booklet in the room- how about making sure you've got up to date info for guests. Eventually paid 10e though. This b&b is by busy road so you ought to consider this if you're a light sleeper, I'd imagine especially during summer time I couldn't sleep with the window open.

Very nice and helpful staff. Tea/coffee and baked treats at arrival were absolutely lovely, makes you feel super welcome. Very comfy bed and room.

Paid over the odds for one night on St Patrick's weekend...

Paid over the odds for one night on St Patrick's weekend - would not encourage me to return, despite the good location. Breakfast menu was excellent - only carp was conc'd orange juice. Please, hoteliers, real or nothing!

Good value for the money if you are only planning to sleep...

If it’s one person just staying overnight this is a good value. The room and bath were really small. at 7 am there was a ton of noise across the hall, it sounded like vacuuming and housekeeping turning the room over. I didn’t appreciate it as I had hoped to sleep in a bit. I Had tried to find an employee the night before on a few occasions and wasn’t able to. I was a female traveling alone and I had stayed here with the hopes that it to be a more B and B type welcoming environment with other guests and staff socializing so was disappointed. My flight got cancelled last minute due to the blizzard and I was going to be stuck in Cork for 3 more days. Rather than stay here the additional nights I opted to moved to a more expensive hotel with a lobby and bar as I didn’t want to be stuck in the tiny room here for 3 days alone and with a tv that only got 2 news channels.

Good value for the money if you are only planning to sleep there I’d recommend. Parking easy and available in lot right in front

Generally good. Comfortable stay.

Person to greeted me wasn't all that friendly. I was really looking forward to scones on arrival but they were cold and didn't have any cream.

Central location, good wifi. Felt safe and clean room. Convenient to have a place to park my hire car (off street).

Breakfast was wonderful, beautifully cooked and presented...

The room I was in seems to have very poor soundproofing. I didn't get very much sleep. Doors were slammed downstairs non stop and above me I could also hear bathroom noise water, extractor fans, doors, toilets flushing ect.had the noise levels been low enough so I could sleep it would have been a lovely stay.

Breakfast was wonderful, beautifully cooked and presented room was very comfortable and spotlessly clean.

Amazing breakfast.

Super breakfast, possibly the best ever. Cakes and scones on arrival was nice. Friendly staff, clean rooms, good location - 10 minutes walk into Cork centre. Plenty of parking (if the car park at the front is full there is more over the road). I even got a brand new carpet in my room during my stay!

It was very very pleasant, and I hope to return.

I would have liked to turn the radiator lower, it felt a little warm.

I appreciated a welcome a tea,and especially the fact that my sister was provided with gluten free pastries.

It was a good average place to stay. Everything worked. Room comfy.

Welcome Tea and Coffee a bonus. Staff were excellent. Very accommodating! Location is good within 7-10 minute walking access of the city centre (and lots of good restaurants/coffee houses/pubs) as you walk to wards town.

The money was cut in advance and was returned the last day...

The money was cut in advance and was returned the last day of departure, meanwhile we were short in cash since we thought it was already paid from out account and we had to pay in cash finally.

Breakfast is a must!

The location was a little further from the city center, about a 15 min walk. It is located on a busy street, noise at night.

The welcome scones, tea and coffee was very wonderful. Parking was directly in front of building and very convenient. The staff was very kind. The room was very large and comfortable. The breakfast was amazing, totally worth it!

Loads of drinking, eating and riding. Ruined that bed, we did.

Breakfast wasn't included in the price

They upgraded us to a separate apartment when we arrived. And the scones and tea on arrival was a lovely touch

wonderful stay

The tea and scones were a welcomed treat when we arrived after traveling. The beds were extra comfortable with beautifully clean sheets. The free wifi was great. would definitely stay again.

Lovely place to stay

In the property we stayed in the lounge area was chilly so we didn't use it. But our room was lovely and warm.

Excellent accommodation, staff were very helpful and welcoming. We did not stay in the main house but one nearby.

Lovely Bnb with fantastic host, rooms, and a great location!

The lady who checked us in was so lovely! She had tea, coffee, breads, and jams waiting for us upon arrival. She was so helpful in recommending places to eat and live music venues. We had a great night. Good walking distance into town. Place to park our car at the hotel. The room was cute and clean. Bathrooms were nice and clean too. Would highly recommend this place!

B

Very comfy bed staff couldn't do enough. Owner friendly extra mile for husband whom working supplied free scones cakes coffee especially as she just buried her husband. A wonderful lady you will enjoy your stay. We were upgraded it was brill.

Perfect House Near UCC

The house we stayed only has three rooms which are all big and comfortable. We can use the living room and the kitchen and this really makes us feel like home. The reception is 24/7 and the staff are kind. The location is perfect. It's about 10 mins away from the city centre and only 1 min to the UCC by walking.

100% would recommend

The property was clean, well equipped with everything we needed and within easy walking distance of the city centre. The staff were so friendly and helpful, and the welcome afternoon tea was a lovely surprise. We would definitely recommend Garnish House and would absolutely stay again.

My first say my in Garnish

The B&B has several buildings and we didn't know which one we would be in until we got there. The breakfast area is only in one building and it was very busy for all breakfast hours.

There were several common rooms, so our group could easily have on to ourselves. We had two rooms and they game us rooms right next to each other. The staff were very friendly and accommodating and allowed us to leave bags on site after we had checked out to collect later.

Close enough to Cork city centre

The price is way too high for the value; Toilet /entire pipe makes horrible loud noise every time you flush the toilet; Wifi breaks down too easily; Price I paid via booking is way more expensive than other guests for some reason (I could see other people's booking as the host uses an excel spreadsheet to check in and check out guests) Price I paid via booking is also more expensive than the rate shown the day immediately before (I booked in advance but ended up paying more), I have no idea why.

Close enough to Cork city centre