Reviews of Glenogra Townhouse 4 stars

64 Merrion Road, D4 Dublin, Ireland

#30 of 93 B&Bs and Inns in Dublin

Quaint.

Quaint. Perfect for what I wanted. Right on the doorstep for the US Embassy. Absolutely fab staff. Would stay again in the blink of an eye. Thank you Peter and the staff

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Breakfast was very good, all be it a little small for the...

Couldn't connect to the wifi, followed the instructions in room book but didn't work, but as not on business was not really an issue. I could have asked to be fair but I wouldn't class this as a complaint.

Breakfast was very good, all be it a little small for the full Irish, ie 1 sausage, but the quality was excellent. Host was very polite and friendly on checking in, will def be back here

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Overall I would stay there again

It’s an old house and the bathroom shows it.

House was lovely. Great water pressure in shower. Area was quite so no problem sleeping in the lovely comfy bed

Very convenient for bus and DART

A refurb is needed on the bathrooms and general maintenance like some peeling wallpaper

The location is very good, the breakfast is excellent, free parking is a plus.

Our stay suited our needs as we were attending a concert, overpriced and lacked atmosphere.

Bedroom was a bit shabby, one of the lampshades had a big water stain on it. Woodwork along the side of the bath was rotten from water damage. There were only two pillows on the bed and no spare pillows in the wardrobe. The staff were courteous, but lacked warmth.

Location was excellent and it was very easy to locate the property. Parking at front and rear of the premises. Breakfast was freshly cooked and tasty.

Reasonably priced for a very expensive city.

Reasonably priced for a very expensive city. We asked for a very quiet room and that's what we got. Extremely helpful staff and convenient location. Would definitely go back.

Very expensive for very ordinary fare

Bathroom - cracked floor tiles; lifting sealant; overhead mirror light and expelair fan haven't worked in years. Very dated and shabby furniture; single flat pillows and overlaundered linen. A lot of money at 500 euros for 3 nights. Claims to have five stars from various orgaanisations - clearly they have never seen Room 5.

A fairly good breakfast was an additional £10 pppn - in addition to the 500 euros for 3 night stay! Location in nice area in 'embassy land' Ludicrously expensive for shabby Room 5 (avoid if you can and ask for better)

Basic, good location.

I would have preferred if the breakfast started a little earlier. The server was very nice and gave me my food when I arrived even though it was before the set time.

Breakfast was good and the server was very nice. Good location, easy to get to.

Disappointing end to a fabulous time in Ireland

Hideously overpriced as it was a Friday night. We hired a car for a week in Ireland and it was cheaper than one night in this place. Wouldn’t have minded if it was special but it was basic and outdated. Worth 149 but certainly not 249 ☹️

Location was great. Easy access to both city and airport.

Overall I had a great stay-the DART (train) was close and the people were great

The bed was slightly uncomfortable-and the rooms were small-not a bad thing but different from what I’m used to.

The breakfast was amazing, and the people were so friendly!

Very good value for the price. Bostonian/irish style. Excellent staff

Breakfast was adequate. Pillows were flat. The TV remotes did not work.

Big room, two twin beds, Desk and 2 arm chairs. Plenty of towels. Good heating system. Breakfast included.

A basic B&B close to the RDS

The old decor. The shower was very old can't remember the last time I've even seen one like this. It had to run for about 5 minutes to get warm and the temperature then fluctuated. I was in a basement room and it was quite noisy with the guests upstairs, creaky floors. Also it rained the nights I stayed and there was a constant drip from somewhere outside the window all night. Although the staff attended to the basic needs, they lacked any warmth or personality. I was quite surprised at the stern and unwelcoming approach.

The room was fine. Clean but very basic and old. The property needs a major revamp. The location for me was great. The room was warm.

excellent

eveything was wonderful, friendly, welcoming, prpfessional. the breakfast was delicious. bath robes, extra towels, tea and coffee, plug adaptor, even a transistor radio by the bed.

The place is located close to a bus station that will take...

2 out of 4 mornings I had to shower in cold water because there was no warm water left. My tip is to miss the "rush hour" around 8. All in all the room was OK but a bit run down. It could do with a good thorough cleaning (e.g. radiators were very dusty).

The place is located close to a bus station that will take you pretty much anywhere. Just up the road there is a hub of pubs and restaurants. The breakfast was extremely good and the staff was very friendly!

Warm Welcome & True Irish Hospitality

Whilst there was a TV in the room - RTE1, RTE2 & TV3 could not be obtained - a member of staff tried to assist - it was not a major thing. Bedroom was a little dated and paint was flaking in the bathroom on the skirting boards and window ledge.

All members of the team were warm and welcoming and could not do enough for guests. The location is ideal for anyone working in the Ballsbridge area. The room was very warm and comfortable and the shower was of a good quality. Breakfast was good

Míle buiochas (many thanks)

Glenogra Townhouse is across the street from RDS, the venue for the concert we were attending on the evening of Dec 18th 2017. It met our needs to perfection. We are two not-so-young ladies. Intercity train, Luas (city train), bus stop (almost in front of Glenogra Townhouse). Room-cosy & spotless; on-suite included bath. Breakfast-very good. A most satisfactory stay. Thank you.

Location very good for UCD, St Vincents, Blackrock Clinic and across the road from the RDS

Parking was tight, one needs to reverse into property ideally not something that other patrons did so it was difficult to park

Had gluten free option at breakfast and was able to have takeaway coffee which was excellent. House was warm. Shower Powerful

Very friendly owners, had a great chat about rugby and found...

Window locks were a bit shabby

Very friendly owners, had a great chat about rugby and found out they are related to young irrlamf starlet Jordan Larmour

Access to the property for guests was 24hrs after booking in.

Booking was within one month of travel so was quite pricey for a one night stay with no breakfast.

Access to the property for guests was 24hrs after booking in. Host friendly and welcoming. Room was very clean and comfortable. Shower was very powerful!

Helpful and friendly staff.

Woken up by neighbors having an argument which lasted over an hour, Argument continued the next morning. Quite a distance from the centre. Small amount of parking - very tight spaces, had to climb out of the back of my car.

Helpful and friendly staff. Clean, tidy and comfortable stay. Went out of there way to serve us breakfast after we slept in and missed the slot

Comfortable Business Trip

I couldn't connect to Netflix using the wifi and the tv didn't work. I was also aware of other guests coming and going due to the noise levels

Staff were friendly. It was close to the event I was attending and the room was comfortable. I didn't have time for breakfast in the morning but from previous visits I know it is good value for money

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay

The of getting around, the shopping was close & handy

Visited thw back to my past show across the street. Visited with a cousin. for me the location was perfect

Glad to get home
    • Family Room

My car was damaged outside the property and I felt the complaint was ignored. The room was also very noisy, we could hear the person coughing in the room next to us, TVs were blaring from the other rooms, and dogs were barking at night. We didn't get much sleep as a result. The door handle was falling off the door, so we didn't feel very secure. The windows were dirty, and full of cobwebs. The light switch beside the bed was broken. This is definitely not a 4-star townhouse.

Breakfast was fair for the price charged.

Very enjoyable stay with a lovely, comfortable room and great home made breakfast.

Lovely property with additional touches of tablecloths & napkins. Staff very friendly and accommodating. Easy to reach the "tourist" areas of Dublin, such as Temple Bar.

Nice stay but quite pricey

Room was very small and with french bed. If you are a couple that might be fine, I was with my mum. The bathroom was clean but certainly could a renovation. Definitely too expensive for what is beeing offered. Could have been a little more expensive than usually because of the football endgame though. Bed was wuite hard unfortunately and only one blanket.

Friendly staff and a nice and clean house. Breakfast is really good. 5 min to the dart station sandymount. From there 3 stations to pearse street and 10 min walk to center. Not too bad. Parking available.

Dublin visit

Extra charge for a very ordinary breakfast, pillows were horrible, staff not very friendly. Dead flowers on the table two days in a row, I understand this type of thing gets replenished once a week but why not just remove them once they are past their best.

Proximity to the train station where the ticket office man was very helpful, parking, bed was comfy, quiet house, room was in need of updating but clean and stocked.

Overall the stay at Glenogra was wonderful. But a little too expensive for what it is.

Wish there was more variety for breakfast. For the money, expected the room to be more updated. And better tv channels.

We loved the location, staff, food and cleanliness

The place looks like an old-fashioned house, and it is so.

The heating worked in a strange way - it was on only on the warmest day.

The place looks like an old-fashioned house, and it is so. The staff is friendly and room service perfect. The airport bus stops across the street and there´s good connection to the city centre and enough parking places.

It was an old building some really nice flowerz out front,
    • Family Room

As we arrived we met a lovely gentle man ,i believe maybe he was the owner,heated food for us no problem ,but the next morning when we went for breakfast there waz myself my husband and 2kids age 10 and 8,,all our food came at different times the food was burnt my kids refuse to eat it ,i went to the door of the kitchen to tell the lady chef that my sons food has not come yet and she absolutely bit the head off me saying canint u see I am getting it ready I now asked her not to over cook his food she rolled her eyes and was muttering oh for god sake ,,i stood there looking at her for sometime ,she told me she will send it out when it was ready,,i was quite annoyed and I just walked away and returned to the dining area ,still bringing the food that was over 15mins late coming out and burnt ,so instead of eating that food I requested more toast,we sat there for some time until my husband said lets go to our room,,after that we packed or bags and left,,we now had to take our kids to a nearby hotel to eat,,so I will most definitely not advise anyone I know to lodge there,,,as thd staff was horrible ,,the young lady serving us could not even say good morning or even apologize for what happened ''itz bad for the ownwers as he was quite nice ,,i did not say it to him as I was to angry at the time ,,,keep in mind I paid for a service I did not recet,,

It was an old building some really nice flowerz out front,

Very good base for exploring the city

Minor point - lot of stairs to climb and no lift

The breakfast was very good, plenty of choice and delicious cooked alternatives. It was easy to get into the centre of Dublin on the bus or DART train.

Weak

3 flights of narrow stairs with no assistance to get luggage up. Hot room Noisy street Bed was ok Breakfast was so so. No place to get coffee early. Sitting room was closed at night

Not a lot.

Adequate , efficient, but nothing outstanding..

Room was extremely small, had to wait to be seated for breakfast, room and fixtures were completely clean.

The proprietor was warm and helpful. He went above and beyond to help with parking, luggage, and check in. He even went the extra mile in trying to extricate my parked car from a very cramped lot.

Ideal place to stay but breakfast let them down

Although arrived down to breakfast in plenty time we were told they had run out of sausages rashers and pudding! No croissants or pastries available and the cereal bowls were not clean. So we had one egg and some toast. This was shocking and disappointing. When I told owner whilst paying I was simply told they would make sure next time I got a good breakfast. Such a pity.

Location. Comfort. Everything we needed.

Quiet pleasant atmosphere and helpful staff.

Decor a bit dated, toilet didn't flush properly in bathroom, carpet in bedroom was grubby.

The staff were pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was enjoyable.

Comfortable Dublin stopover

Walking distance to downtown Dublin but a long walk.

Room was very quiet. Bed was comfortable. Enjoyed the bath. Breakfast was a selection of fruit with muesli then scrambled eggs and salmon or traditional Irish breakfast, all delicious.5 minute walk to the Dart train station.

Indicative of the lovely old Dublin

Bed was a bit uncomfortable - a mattress topper would solve that. Old building means noise from other rooms travels but positives far outway negatives. Double glazing meant outside noise was non existent.

Position to city, access to public transport and cosiness were our 3 top raps. Ballsbridge is one of the nicer areas of Dublin. Staff were really welcoming and helpful. Breakfast was extensive and served on pretty English China. Peter loaned us a big umbrella which we now know to be essential in Ireland.

Location was great for Aviva stadium

Very expensive for a basic B&B Dated, plug and light sockets hanging off of the wall, crack in the bath, bath robes covered in hair - not mine

Location was great for Aviva stadium

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

Pleasant stay

There is free WiFi but I had to move to the hall or dining room to access it. This might not be applicable to all rooms.

The location is excellent with easy access to the Dart line and close by bus stops. The members of staff were friendly and helpful.

Weekend for Robbie Williams

Went stayed over the weekend to see Robbie Williams at the aviva. The dart station is only a few minutes walk . Also a short walk to the aviva stadium which was brilliant . Staff were pleasant and gave early check in without notice. Room aren't massive although we weren't in them for long . Would book again for another event .

Great location - a bit old fashioned and not very flexible in organisation.
    • Family Room

One colleague could not come along due to the death of her mother. We did not get any refund. Reason: booking through booking.com Quite old fashioned facilities: bathroom kind of 1950's

Very quiet and safe, only a few steps away from public transport to city centre.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Great B&B with helpful staff and nice location in a...

The bathoroom was a bit old and had some mould. Otherwise the room was good.

Great B&B with helpful staff and nice location in a beautiful neighbourhood within walking distance from the city. The room was good and had all you need, including tea fachilities, tv and radio. Perfect breakfast. I would be happy to stay in this cosy townhouse again.

Ok for one night

the room had the smell of old house. Old furniture, the room was not what they show in the photo when you book the room! The room door is old and it was impossible to lock it.

nice breakfast

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

The booking that never was

When I arrived there had been a mix up with the booking so they had booked me into a hotel across the road instead. They have me a Voucher to present to the hotel but that caused some difficulties, wasn't straight forward.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

Comfortable and courteous

The decor is a little tired. Bedroom and bathroom require to be updated but this should not put you off booking from here.

The beds were very comfortable and the staff extremely helpful. Breakfast was lovely and if a rugby fan, walking distance to Landowne Road, bonus.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Breakfast was wonderful!

Parking was extremely tight, but thankful to have parking relatively close to Dublin.

Breakfast was wonderful! Nice setting, similar to a high tea room.

Staff could have been more friendly upon our arrival.

We were greeted rather rudely at the door with the single word, "name?". The heat is on a timer which gives the occupant no control of comfort level. We were cold most of the time during our stay.

The property was close to the dart train.

Clean comfortable room in nice area.

Very comfortable beds, good breakfast, rooms were very clean, secure parking, nice area. B & B situated 10 min bus ride from city centre. Taxi home at night from city cost 12 Euros.

Good value guesthouse if you're looking for accommodation walking distance from Aviva stadium

Lumpy pillow

Walking distance from Aviva Staff polite Room prepared for us ahead of normal check in time as we had to get to a game at Aviva for 3 pm kick off

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Never staying anywhere else again.

I don't even know where to begin this.. prepare to be blown away by this one. First of all let's talk about price, it's cheap - for a 5 day stay I payed 13 euros more that I would have on a 5.1 review hostel. I don't know if it was a deal / limited offer but I arrived with low expectations considering the price. Then you land in Dublin and get on the bus towards the city and guess what there is a bus station right next to the hotel, airport - hotel in under 40 min. Unbelievable! You enter the hotel - clean, staff is friendly and no surcharge for late checkin (the guy agreed to meet me at 1 am in the morning to check me in, other places have a 50 euros fee attached to this) and you get into your room. The room is not big (the bed is) but it's clean, it's very clean. "It's not just health department clean, it's Monica clean!" clean. The bed sheets smell nice and the carpet is properly vacuumed. Pull the drapes and there is no dust coming off them. Unpack with ease because there's no dust in the closet. The bathroom smells nice, no hair in the shower drain, in fact every corner of the shower is properly scrubbed down with no mold growing anywhere. The cleaning lady does not only deserve a raise, she deserves a fucking statue build in her honor. It's so cozy and warm and quiet. Oh the silence! I slept like a baby the whole week. Dublin houses are famous for having paper thin walls through which you hear everything from the street or neighbours, but I had no such issue at Glenogra Then Location - not in the middle of the city, but very close and easy to get there. You have bus and dart stops within a 5 minutes walk. Easy to get to the center, but quiet and peaceful location for you to rest. And Ballsbridge is one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in Dublin, I walked all the way to the center (30-40 min) just so I could grab some nice pictures.

Handy South Dublin B&B

Didn't have breakfast so can't tell.

Peter is a very helpful host. RDS just across the road. Aviva 15 mins walk. US embassy 10 mins walk (if you need it). Bus into town across the road, 2 mins walk, return bus stop 30 seconds away. Lose the car.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

Great location; comfort level could be improved.

Old fashioned room. Horrible throw/cushion on bed. Shower could be improved. Expensive. No breakfast included.

Friendly staff. Comfortable bed. Parking. Quiet.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

Traffic noise inaudible;

Greeting strictly efficient - a little more warmth in the welcome would be welcome - this is Ireland!

Traffic noise inaudible; convenient to city centre, with excellent bus-service.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

Excellent B and B

Nothing - all good.

Room and facilities were extremely spacious, clean and comfortable. Being an older style large house, there are stairs to climb which would be an issue for some. It's about a ten minute walk to the local railway station, and a ten minute ride to the city. Buses to the city are also out the front. Breakfast was fabulous and the serving staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. Plenty of nice restaurants and pubs within a comfortable walk. Would happily stay there again.

A great find.

Perfect for Aviva Stadium. Walking distance and lots of bars and restaurants nearby. No need to go into the city unless you want to. In which case that's not far either.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

brilliant for RDS

it is a little older fashioned and creaky but that's also a charm

superb location for the RDS and just off aircoach fab breakfast and friendly staff great price for location

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Almost perfect . . .

Parking is at a premium - very difficult to access and leave townhouse due to exit onto a very busy highway.

The room was decorated very nicely - bed was perfect! Staff couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. Breakfast was delicious (we had waffles, fresh fruit) We thought that Glenogra was a great stay for the price!

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

Friendly welcome in warm, comfortable guesthouse.

I booked late and arrived late, and was welcomed warmly and made to feel at home. The room was large, comfortable and warm and there was a bath in the good sized bathroom.

Pleasant B&B in Ballsbridge

Uncomfortable bed. The radiator in the bathroom was not working

Good location with excellent access to public transport (bus, DART and airport coach). Clean, spacious and quiet room. Free WiFi.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

Nice room.

The WiFi connection to the area where my room was was unreliable as the internet access was often down during my visit.

Nice room. Excellent breakfast. Thank you so much :)

Great location!

No instructions for the TV and we couldn't work out how to use the 2 controllers. However not a huge issue and would've asked if we'd been staying more than one night.

Very comfortable bed, good provision of soap, shampoo etc. Breakfast very tasty.

lovely house in a great location.

Over priced and breakfast was not included in the booking. it was the first time i ever booked a bed and breakfast where breakfast was not included

lovely house in a great location. very clean and very friendly staff

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

Perfect locartion, clean & comfortable, prompt & friendly service, no hesitation in recommending.

the fact that the room I had was (I think) under the kitchen. couldn't really get any proper sleep from when they started breakfast. which was early

The Room and the comfort How clean it was The facilities I would recommend no problem

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

An excellent old fashioned and traditional guest house wonderful !

Pillows ! Were old and lumpy !

Personal but non intrusive service ! They waited up fir my late arrival . There was great parking safe and right in front of house

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

A lovely place to stay in south Dublin !

I personally Would like new pillows ! They are old and stoggy ! But everything lovely !

Quiet and calm , private atmosphere old world charm and eloquent . Good breakfast and Peter waited up as I arrived late at night l. Car parking facility and easy public transport into centre . Perfect situation !

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

A perfect place to stay.when visiting the RDS

It was easy to find and very close to the RDS. The room and en-suite were roomy and well kitted out. Private parking was a great bonus, and the owner allowed me to leave my vehicle there and walk over to the RDS for the day. Thanks again for that. Breakfast was lovely, too.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Glenogra for aviva!!

The price for a one night stay was a bit pricey for a bed and breakfast.....however it was a late booking on my part!!!

The glenogra is a warm cosy family friendly place...staff are all great...highly recommend. ...

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

Not a good experience.

They turned off the heating at night, so it was freezing cold. I had no internet at night and in the morning. There was also a musty smell every where as if no windows and doors were ever opened ti have some fresh air. That is why I did not stay more than one night and checked into another hotel right in the other side if the street. I paid the same price but for excellent service.

The man in charge was very nice.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

Lovely cosy clean room.

Host was quite unfriendly and not welcoming. Really felt like a business transaction.

Lovely cosy clean room. Breakfast staff very friendly. Lovely breakfast. Parking.

breakfast
    • Family Room

that weird and heavy key-appendix - its too huge to transport in a suit.Cant you just invest some euros and change it please? I want to come back sometime soon and really disliked it...

breakfast bed room view weather location

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Pleasant comfortable stay...

Not sure if guest can use kitchen, but would be nice to have microwave to heat soup. Also bring your own face/wash cloth if you use them, they provide hand and bath towels.

Nice location, 10 euro cab ride to city center, retaurants, bars and mini market within easy walking distance. If early riser with plans then might opt out of the breakfast as it is not served till around 7:00am.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

An excellent B&B. Worth visiting!

The food was lovely but sometimes on the small side. The waitress struggled with orders and communication.

The location is amazing, with lovely restaurants and pubs 100 yards away. Good public transport and parking available on site.

very expensive, very old facility

very expensive, very old facility

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

So charming.

Clean, comfortable room, friendly staff, good breakfast. Great neighborhood.

Location location location.

Location location location.

Excellent place to stay.

Excellent place to stay. Highly recommend it.Will defo b back