Reviews of Greville Arms Hotel Mullingar 3 stars

Pearse Street, Mullingar, Ireland

#12 of 16 hotels in Mullingar

Massive hotel with loads of character and history.

There was supposed to be free wifi but the signal was so poor it very rarely worked

Massive hotel with loads of character and history. Also a very good breakfast.

Stay okay but don't think I would go back

Didn't like the noise until 3 am Saturday night. We were on 2nd floor and found stairs hard. Smoke coming in through our window. I thought the price for one night really expensive

always stay if in the area always a welcome reception bar...

always stay if in the area always a welcome reception bar staff very helpful and friendly good choice of menu in restaurant and breakfast spot on Regards Tony D

The property is nice and clean .

The only downside about this property is no pool ..and the owner doing what suits him ..not the paying customer

The property is nice and clean ..staff are great food is lovely

A pleasant and comfortable place to stay with a good restaurant, in a bustling market town

the car park could be better signposted from the main road. It's hard to spot when you arrive the first time

Nice big room, good food in restaurant, plenty of good secure parking at back of hotel, comfortable old fashioned inn.

Location was great, staff lovely and great buzz around the...
    • Double and Single Bed Room

Room was pretty roasting but considering we only get a short summer in Ireland couldn’t have asked for ac :)

Location was great, staff lovely and great buzz around the hotel

The hotel itself is lovely, the residents bar and beer...

The hotel itself is lovely, the residents bar and beer garden is amazing. The location is brilliant. Staff were very friendly and i would book this hotel again.

Good location, friendly staff

Hotel is dated and needs a renovation badly, I would say starting with the bar area, to make it brighter and more welcoming, and to keep up with the other bars and hotels in the town.

This a well located hotel right in the heart of the town, close to the main bus stops and about 7minute walk from train station, there is a secure car park also. The staff are always friendly and helpful, the food is great too, in the main cafe or restaurant, I met with family and we had a nice dinner in the restaurant. The hotel overall is dated and needs a facelift, the bar needs brightening up and just needs a refresh, the room was comfy and a mix of modern and dated furniture, the bathroom has not been touched in at least 30years, but had good power in the shower.

We stayed at this hotel as a stop from the airport, on our...

The mattress wasn't comfortable, it should be changed. And I did hear the music from the pub next door, which didn't really bother me but good for others to know.

We stayed at this hotel as a stop from the airport, on our evening arrival day. The hotel staff is very friendly, the breakfast was excellent (even made their own scones) and they have their own parking, which is great when you have a car. The hotel has a classic english old feel to it, which was nice.

I wish we could have stayed longer,

Nothing, everything was perfect

We liked everything, But I was surprised that there was no lift, My breathing is bad so the stairs would have been to much fo me, The girl at reception did her best and got me a room on a lower floor, That made me very happy, Thanks to the lovely receptionist, P/S The food was scrumptious,

'BREAKFAST ' LADY WAS LOVELY.

As an older person finding my way i thought the bar staff could be more tolerant and patient....they will be my age one day.

Complimentary water was a surprise.

Room was very hot and stuffy even with windows open.

Room was very hot and stuffy even with windows open. A lot of noise from night club and people running up and down the corridor at 2am making lots of noise.

Overall the stay was enjoyable, but the bed and heat of the room was not ideal.

There were just a few problems with the room: 1. It was very warm. The outside temperature was around 20 C and the window in the room was facing a courtyard area so little to no breeze could get in. Also the window was very small. 2. Half of the springs in the bed were damaged - one side of the bed was dipped, which did not really effect me as I was a lone traveler and could sleep on the other side, but if you were sharing it would have been an issue.

The staff were very friendly and were very helpful. The rooms have excellent soundproofing - there was a live band in the bar but you could not hear anything once you were in the room. The food was also very good.

Great hotel will be returning for sure.

Nothing everything was perfect rooms breakfast bar an music great.staff very kind an could not have been more helpful from check in to check out.the weather was a bonus.

Great location and breakfast was fab
    • Double and Single Bed Room

I didn't like that we were kept awake with the disco which was under our room it was so warm that we had to leave our window open as no air conditioning, but we did get a fan from reception straight away when we asked for one

The location was great as the hotel is in the centre of the town, and the breakfast was excellent with a great choice to choose from. The staff serving the breakfast were also excellent

Room for improvement

We stayed in room 204 and it was awful. No air conditioning so had to leave the window open as room was sweltering hot. The noise from the fan extractor that was directly outside the window was awful. It sounded like a reversing truck the enter night. We had an appointment at 8am that we had to be up for and got absolutely no sleep.

The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was delicious . The hotel decor was lovely. Would stay again but definitely not in the same room.

really disappointed with our stay for the price i paid i could have rented a apartment on air bnb

how clean the room was, the bed was rock hard and finally price this was extremely over priced all most double it should have been

i have stayed here a few times and have got a really nice room and was very happy unfortunatly on this stay the room i recieved was filthy dirty the place needed a good hoover and the bed was like lying on a pallet, i also found 144 euro to be way over what the room should be really worth if anything the room we got should have been around 80 euro, their was a festival on in the town so i think was probably why the room cost so much surly this should be regulated if that is the case, i had asked change room but the hotel was fully booked out so their for we had to stay with what we had

Great location and food, bedrooms/bed could do with an update

Bedrooms clean but very dated and the bed wasn't very comfortable

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Excellent breakfast and lots of choice. Great location in the center of town and a nice bar to enjoy a drink.

The location of the hotel was great and they had a good...

The water temperature in the shower was broken and I struggled to get hot water. Also there is a lot of noise from the club on Thursday and Friday night.

The location of the hotel was great and they had a good breakfast.

Lovely place, more than met my expectations

In our room I really could have done with a bit more light or at least one bright light near a mirror!!

Location excellent and all staff met were very friendly and helpful. Our room was very nice and spacious with a comfy bed. There is a choice of places to eat on-site, a bistro/restaurant, a pub that does food and another food bar open all day, there is also on-site parking too.

Very noisy hotel

There was a bar next door playing very loud music until 2.am in the morning. I could not sleep. I contacted reception to complain and they said they could not do anything about it. I was very tired the next day for a very important business meeting I will not stay here again

Will not stay again!

Beds and cleanliness

Beds were extremely uncomfortable and mattresses need to be changed!!! Area for breakfast was a complete mess with no clean tables.

No thank u

Treatment from the management John

Everything except for the manager after asking for assistance with him his now refusing any bookings as I was and reported to the manager and let me come stay with them again nw won't I asked that I am not going to be in the property if certain person was going to be there but no would not listen to me and then arrived last WK and wouldn't let me stay after me ringing to confirm the reservation, Everything is great there bit manager is very rude John.

Great hotel in perfect location
    • Double and Single Bed Room

It didnt effect our group - but there is no lift in hotel

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Lots of little extra touches to make our stay special. We were at a fifth birthday and staff really spoiled the Birthday girl. Beds were super comfy and room was clean . Coffee maker room in water etc all made for lovely stay.

Fantastic stay and will recommend

We really couldn't fault the place, there is no lift but staff happy to help with bags.

Organising a hen night here for 20 people was so easy. Karen did an amazing job and helped out with any requests (which were many!). Food was fabulous and plentiful and having a private area for our large meal really was the icing on the cake! The beer garden was an added plus on a sunny weekend and if we had known there was live music beforehand we wouldn't have moved from hotel.

Didn't like that the access from carpark to reception...

Didn't like that the access from carpark to reception was through area where customers were eating. Having to carry luggage through this area was not appropriate. No wifi available in the bedrooms which was very inconvenient for me as I could not use my laptop.

Great Hotel

The rear parking, you park behind the building then to go into the hotel, have to enter through the lounge. It was not great when you are carting in luggage. But it’s Mullingar. Also the wifi did not reach our room. Had to move to the other end of the building.

Was right in town. The food there was wonderful.

Offers a promise but fails to deliver.

Mattress was appalling and should have been thrown out. Springs had gone and we had to turn it over to get a reasonable nights sleep.

Staff were the biggest asset of a hotel that offers promise but fails to deliver.

The Hotel was amazing and was over whelmed with the history,...

the only thing was the room was very warm and on opening the windows we had the noise from your garden area and were tired the next morning as we had to leave very early room no 220

The Hotel was amazing and was over whelmed with the history, the food was wonderful

It was okay as an overnight stop but we wouldn't want to stay for several days.

The paintwork in some parts of the bar was very grubby and we prefer our breakfast made to order. The bar areas needed freshened up.

The receptionist was very friendly and helpful.

Lovely hotel, very friendly staff and right in the heart of...

No lift-only stairs!! Awkward with luggage

Lovely hotel, very friendly staff and right in the heart of Mullingar. There is a lovely walk nearby in the Greenway

In the end, all was fine and it was good value for money

Toilet was dirty and issues with back waste - not nice, but staff reacted well and another room was provided without delay

Staff were friendly and helpful, parking, wifi, food and location

Breakfast was one of the best I've had in a hotel-it was...

The rear entrance from the car park was a little grubby and gave a bad impression.

Breakfast was one of the best I've had in a hotel-it was fresh and piping hot. The bed was very comfortable and the water pressure in the shower was excellent.

Pleasant & enjoyable

The bedroom can be prone to outside noise

The staff were all very pleasant & friendly, a fantastic spread for breakfast. The bar has a great selection of beers, spirits & cocktails, along with plenty of tvs to watch the sport

Good location and very comfortable

Centre of town accommodation, room was very clean and we found there to be plenty of space for our luggage. Shower has bars of soap (I'm not a fan of shower Gel) and the other amenities were also good. Linen was very good and the towels still fluffy!

Breakfast was not available arly enough - I had to get 7.

Breakfast was not available arly enough - I had to get 7.31am train to Dublin but only a limited self service was available. There was a step inside the bedroom door which was hazardous-for entering and leaving and needs to be resolved.

Great but wifi and parking caused some grief

Wifi in room was pathetic much of time although good elsewhere, parking presented difficulties on arrival- had to pay for parking nearby until place was found in hotel car park

Room, bar, location, food

I wish I could have stayed longer! I hope to come back one day.

The only complaint I have is that I wanted to have a bath but I couldn't get the water warm enough.

Beautiful building. They have done a very good job of keeping it updated. I loved this little town of Mullingar. The people are super friendly and the food is good. The room was clean and the bed was pretty comfortable.

Mullingar comforts

The bed was very uncomfortable, felt spring or something coming thru sheets

The property was excellent, staff were very polite and helpful, food was excellent

Friendly, clean and comfortable. Value for money. Would recommend!

The decor in the bedrooms and bathrooms was dated. However, they were clean and comfortable and we all slept well.

The bar meals and breakfast were excellent. The staff very friendly, welcoming, and accommodating. The hotel museum was a real bonus for the children. The residents seating areas were great. Great location in the centre of town and value for money.

Would stay again.

Two much traffic on main Street. The carpark could be better.

The room was very nice and the bed was excellent. Staff very friendly good crowd in the bar 👏👏

Great place to stay very geniune ppl and good ppl to speak to staff are amazing

Booked a smoking rm and the man said it was not with no signs and always have been in the smoking room , other than that perfect

Comfortable and peaceful

Not the same as before! 🙁

Unfortunately the room we were given is ryt in front of hotel/Road and with old style windows they're draughty and let every single noise from ppl chatting to car noise to builders working at eight ó clock in..we had very disrupted sleeps...the issue Was not resolved even after we raised it.. .

The room we were given was beautiful and comfortable.. Breakfast in greville Arms is amazing so much selection. Clean rooms and friendly staff.

You get what you pay for. I paid very little so received very little from this hotel.

The bed was rock solid. The radiator sounded like it was about to take off and visit the moon. The rooms definitely did not match the ones shown on booking.com and was noway 15x15!!

Great staff, very helpful.

A very welcoming hotel in the centre of a busy town.

The receptionist was very friendly and helpful. We had trouble with our key and Gerry came up to the room with us to make sure it was working (he was very helpful and polite).

Keighley is the best thing about this hotel.

The smell. The breakfast was really oily and tasted off. My first day the room was cold as was the shower and the hairdryer blew only cold air. However I did ring regarding the room being cold and they did send a heater. No lift either. Which is not acceptable for a hotel where most of the guests are elderly. The noise at night also is very loud. I can sleep through anything but I would say this would be a problem for most.

The best thing about the hotel was Keighley the receptionist. Considering she'd never worked in a hotel before and had only been employed just over 6 weeks she is the best thing about the hotel. The saving grace.

Breakfast was pretty good

Room was freezing, noice from nite club kept me awake and shower was freezing next morning. Had booked smoking room and got non smoking room

Breakfast was pretty good

The Hotel is very centrally located in the centre of...

The Hotel is very much in need of refurbishment, it is very tired looking throughout. There is no lift which in this day and age is unacceptable. The room layout was a bit strange in that the wash hand basin was separate from the bathroom. I don't know if this is the case in all rooms. Internally on the ground floor there are lot of different levels involving steps.

The Hotel is very centrally located in the centre of Mullingar town. Breakfast was good. The staff were very pleasant and helpful.

Very disappointed

Had been quite a while since myself and my partner got away so where looking forward to it but we were very disappointed. The carpark was a joke, no spaces, when we asked receptionist we were told the gate was broken and to pay in a carpark accross the road which we wouldn't be reimburst for. Breakfast was like going to your local cafe, nothing special for a hotel, seem to be more concerned about the customers coming in from the street rather than the people staying in the hotel who have paid already. Hotel needs updating too, and should inform clients that there are no lifts, very dark hotel.

The Ulysses bar was the best part to the stay.

Perfect

Everything about the Greville Arms is simply amazing. The rooms are comfortable, the atmosphere is welcoming, the food is delicious, the location is central, and the staff are beyond helpful. Couldn’t ask for a better experience, will stay again.

Overall enjoyed our stay

Table booked for 8.30 for dinner . Waiting nearly 40 minutes in lobby to be seated.

Dinner and Cocktails were lovely and breakfast very nice. Friendly staff

The hotel was dark - lighting very poor. Our shower didn’t have any hot water and room was cool. Although I reported the room temperature it made no difference. The hotel does not have a lift or disabled access to bedrooms. This was not evident on the booking app.

Positively the food was very good and staff were pleasant. Room spacious enough and clean.

Enjoyed it from start to fiinish

There was only half a loo roll, on contacting staff it was sorted very quickly.

The Bed was very comfortable, Bathroom very clean & tidy. The food was excellent.

Good value for money

Room windows old so a little drafty from bathroom one. Room lighting a little dark.

Reasonable price. Very clean room and staff very friendly. Good central town location.

The room was particularly nice and spacious.

Everything was satisfactory.

The room was particularly nice and spacious. The staff were very friendly and helpful, they supplied me with a heater and then a kitchen plate when I requested them. The breakfast superb, and relaxed atmosphere in breakfast lounge. The foyer area nicely decorated, busy and lively. Situated in middle of town.

I liked the friendly, helpful staff.

The heat, it was way way too much. Rooms tired and dated,windows full of condensation. The hotel is so busy i don't see how they can clean it properly, felt it was grubby.

I liked the friendly, helpful staff. The breakfast was lovely and organised with military precision. Enjoyed the bar had a lovely evening with friends.

Clean, friendly, great location, good food and great bar

The sink was in the bedroom rather than the bathroom but it didn't matter too much and the car park is too small but nothing that affected the happiness of the stay.

Bed was extra comfy. The bar is fabulous. Breakfast was yummy and the staff were lovely

Miserable

Room had stale damp smell, booked double bed & got 2 single beds instead & no hot water from tap or shower at all. Had to boil kattle to wash myself in the morning!!

very very disappointing!!

Rooms was very cold on arrival. Lighting was poor and grab rail in bath came away from the wall while showering leaving with an injured leg. The manner of the duty manager dealt who we informed was beyond poor..

Not much to like really.

Convenient location, friendly staff, comfortable bed and excellent food.

A bit more brightness in at least some of the public areas (currently could be perceived as a bit gloomy). Hot water arriving a little more quickly in the sink.

Food in the restaurant was excellent. (Waitress service was fairly efficient but let down in small ways eg lack of friendly eye contact, left scraps of food when clearing away, but overall efficient). Reception and breakfast staff could not be faulted.

4.5
    The worst Hotel I ever stayed in very disappointed .

The room smelt awful the carpet was all stains . The lockers had cigarette burns the bathroom floor had splats of the tile filler still stuck to the tiles . The breakfast was awful they had the day before salad bar on display with coleslaw which had a film of mayonaise on it . The breakfast table was against a room divider that was covered in scrape marks the list goes on . I would never go back

No , I did not rate it 4 out of 5 . I would rate it 0

I was rather disappointed with the bed, it had a hollow in it and was very uncomfortable.

The bed was lumpy and very uncomfortable, the TV was not on standby and finding the Power/On switch was tricky. It was very noisy until about 1am and a man was trying to get into my room for 20 minutes.

Breakfast was excellent, I chose the full Irish breakfast and there was more than enough to keep you going until evening. The staff went out of their way to help me defrost the car windows and even brought a jug of warm water for me.

Two little things - parking was a nightmare but then again it is town centre. got sorted eventually. The mattress was very firm but again that’s personal preference

Delicious breakfast 🥞

Pleasant hotel in Mullingar - I would return

The hotel car park is located to the rear of the building - slightly difficult to find space in it, but not a big deal

Friendly staff, nice breakfast, excellent location in the town centre.

The room was beautiful.

The walls were really thin and I was kept awake by noisy guests. Breakfast in the lounge was over cooked and unappetising.

The room was beautiful. The bath robes were comfy and warm. The bistro had an amazing lunch and the desserts were to die for.

Enjoyed our stay but would ask for different room if return visit. Would definitely stay again.

Room cold, no central light so room too dim even with lamps on.

Atmosphere, decor in public spaces. Staff very pleasant & helpful. Food very good. Entertainment very good

Food lovely in bar, breakfast was alright , nice atmosphere...

I think the hotel is a bit tired in places, chipped paint and carpets very worn, could do with a little tlc , bit nervous with all the candles lighting , parking limited spaces, got blocked in had to get manager to sort it out

Food lovely in bar, breakfast was alright , nice atmosphere in the evening with music playing, staff very helpful, overall an enjoyable weekend away with my partner, will probably book again for a weekend break

Nice looking property but terrible food, a lot of lazy staff esp the tall girl on the desk.

Breakfast was gross. The sausages were reheated likely from the day before. For 2 days I could only eat a pastry. Wifi very weak i was there on business but couldn't work due to weak internet. Girl on desk very unhelpful about this.

Excellent always go back

Bed to small room to far away to many steps and the noise in room from next doors shower toilet this was this 1 room we never experienced this before we stay twice a year

Freshest croissant ever staff are so friendly I.e catering staff foods always amazing and while place spotless

New year celebrations with family and friends!

The lack of a lift is my only fault.i have ms and can walk unaided but I find the stairs difficult.

Old world charm and atmosphere is super.the location is very central.

Top quality hotel

The room was spacious & very comfortable. The food was top quality & the staff are so friendly. We will definitely stay at the Greville again. Thank you to the lovely staff.

Very pleasant, and Festive wishes to all your staff who were so helpful and friendly. Loved it.

A lift !!!!!

The receptionist was a lovely helpful girl who got us a room just at the top of the stairs. Unfortunately there is no lift but stairs are low treads and great bannisters so managed okay. The dinner was lovely and waitresses very pleasant and helpful. Had very good fillet steaks 🥩 for mains- an excellent selection of vegetables etc fantastic value. Even without a lift I will definitely be back.

Very enjoyable and pleasant experience

The twin room was quite small and could do with a revamp. Whilst everywhere was very clean, the hotel could do with an overhaul.

The hotel was very clean and in the centre of the town. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was cooked to order (had omelette) and very fresh.

Loud noise, freezing room, hard old bed

Traveling on business asked for a quiet room. At 8.30 a disco started and the room literally vibrated until 12. Should have been told and check in and I wouldn’t have stayed. Radiator didn’t work. Room totally freezing. Water lukewarm in shower the next day. Total disaster for next day work.

Very little

A lovely clean and welcoming hotel - great value for money and in a great location.

There is nothing I could complain about

Friendly staff, great location on High Street, room was lovely and clean with nice toiletries, bottled water and a chocolate on the pillow. Breakfast was lovely. Although a very busy hotel the rooms were quiet.